|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of Hannah's tapes?
2. What did Courtney do to Hannah one night when they attended a party?
3. Where does Clay ask his mother to meet him with the remaining tapes?
4. Who calls Clay as Hannah is describing meeting someone at Rosie's?
5. How does Clay know the tattooed girl in the cafe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clay's chat with the server at Monet's cause him to wonder about himself?
2. Why does Hannah wish for people to follow a map?
3. What is Clay thinking about as Hannah is recounting the Valentine's event?
4. Who is Alex Standall and what did he do to Hannah?
5. What will happen if the recipients of the tapes do not listen to them and follow Hannah's map?
6. What is the "Oh My Dollar Valentine's" event?
7. Why is Courtney included in Hannah's tapes?
8. Why is Clay shocked and surprised that the tapes are from Hannah?
9. What does Clay remember about Bryce Walker?
10. What happened between Hannah and Tyler Down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Thirteen Reasons Why" is written in two different tenses. The Prologue and Part 9 are written in the present; Parts 1 through 8 are written as a flashback. Why do you think the author chose to write the story this way? Do you think it added to the story? Why or why not? How does the telling of the story contribute to the suspense? The action? Use examples from the story to answer the question.
Essay Topic 2
When Clay arrives at Tyler Down's house he finds Marcus Cooley already there. Marcus is upset with the way Tyler took advantage of Courtney and Hannah when he was a Peeping Tom. What is ironic about Marcus being upset by Tyler's behavior? How has Marcus's own behavior toward Hannah been? Do you think Marcus is really angry at Tyler, or is he angry at himself? Why do you feel the way you do?
Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The past relationship between Hannah and Clay comes to a climax during the house party on Cottonwood Street. Up until this point, the reader is unaware that Hannah and Clay's relationship anything more than just friendship and a shared longing. What happened between the two in the bedroom during the party? How did Hannah's kiss with Justin interfere with their kiss? Why did Clay apologize to Hannah after their kiss? How did both Clay and Hannah miss an opportunity to help Hannah with her self destructive feelings?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)