|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hannah think Marcus planned to do?
2. How can the listener find out the name of the other girl who was spied on?
3. Who gave Hannah her Valentine list?
4. What does Clay remember as Hannah tells about her first kiss?
5. What is the purpose of Hannah's tapes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Hannah at the Blue Spot Liquor store, the second stop on the map?
2. Why is Clay shocked and surprised that the tapes are from Hannah?
3. Who is Skye?
4. What is the "Oh My Dollar Valentine's" event?
5. Why did Hannah create the tapes and have them sent to different people?
6. How does Clay's chat with the server at Monet's cause him to wonder about himself?
7. What does Clay remember about Bryce Walker?
8. What rumors do Hannah and Clay remember during cassette 1, side A?
9. How does Hannah feel about Courtney Crimson?
10. Who is Alex Standall and what did he do to Hannah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mr. Porter and why is he included in the story? Do you think Mr. Porter cared about Hannah? Why or why not? What more could Mr. Porter have done to help Hannah? Is it fair that Mr. Porter is on the list and on the tapes? Why or why not? Do you think that Hannah could have allowed Mr. Porter to help her if she had been more open with him the day they met in his office? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How many things that happen to Hannah in the story are a direct result of her loss of reputation? How is she treated differently by boys? Who has treated her differently? How was she treated differently by girls? Even if the rumors about Hannah and Justin were true, would she have deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Do you think that the author is trying to make a statement? If so, what statement is he trying to make?
Use examples from the text to answer the questions.
Essay Topic 3
"Thirteen Reasons Why" is written in two different tenses. The Prologue and Part 9 are written in the present; Parts 1 through 8 are written as a flashback. Why do you think the author chose to write the story this way? Do you think it added to the story? Why or why not? How does the telling of the story contribute to the suspense? The action? Use examples from the story to answer the question.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)