|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clay feel about the tapes?
2. What does Clay remember as Hannah tells about her first kiss?
3. What does Clay discover about Hannah while listening to cassette 2, Side B?
4. How does Clay know the tattooed girl in the cafe?
5. The story begins as a__________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Hannah at the Blue Spot Liquor store, the second stop on the map?
2. Why is Clay shocked and surprised that the tapes are from Hannah?
3. How does listening to Hannah's tapes make Clay feel about their relationship?
4. Why would the author begin the story with a Prologue?
5. What does Tony mean when he tells Clay, "I'm trying to keep us on the road"?
6. What is the "Oh My Dollar Valentine's" event?
7. What are the two reasons that Clay is late for school for the first time in his life?
8. Why is Courtney included in Hannah's tapes?
9. Who does Clay see walking down the hall at school?
10. Why did Hannah create the tapes and have them sent to different people?
Essay Topic 1
"Thirteen Reasons Why" is written in two different tenses. The Prologue and Part 9 are written in the present; Parts 1 through 8 are written as a flashback. Why do you think the author chose to write the story this way? Do you think it added to the story? Why or why not? How does the telling of the story contribute to the suspense? The action? Use examples from the story to answer the question.
Essay Topic 2
What has Clay learned about himself, and about Hannah, by the end of the book?
1) Who does Clay blame for Hannah's death?
2) Does he feel that things were as hopeless as Hannah thought?
3) What actions does Clay take as a result of Hannah's tapes?
4) What has Clay learned about himself?
Use examples from the text to explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
How has Hannah damaged Clay's feelings about himself? Do you think this was her intent when she included him in the tapes? How do you know? Should Clay (or any of the others) feel partially responsible for Hannah's death? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,015 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)