Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why might people who receive the package save the receipt?
2. How does Hannah ensure people will listen to the tapes?
3. Who does Clay remember causing a scene at the Crestmount while on a date?
4. Who was with Justin when Hannah first saw him?
5. The story begins as a__________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tony doing that causes Clay to pay him attention in the diner? Is his behavior odd?
2. At what point in time does Part 9 take place?
3. What is Clay Jensen doing as the story opens?
4. How does Hannah's conversation with the guidance counselor, Mr. Porter, turn out?
5. What does Tony mean when he tells Clay, "I'm trying to keep us on the road"?
6. What is Clay thinking about as Hannah is recounting the Valentine's event?
7. What happened after Hannah anonymously asked the Peer Communications teacher to discuss suicide?
8. What happened between Hannah and Tyler Down?
9. What technique does the author use to tell the main body of the story?
10. What are the last words that Clay remembers speaking to Hannah?
Compare Hannah's first kiss with Justin to Clay's memories of her first kiss with him. How did Hannah feel about the kisses? How did Clay feel about the kisses? What happened after Hannah kissed Justin? What does Clay remember happening after Hannah kissed him? How did Hannah feel about Justin's bragging? Use the text to support your answers.
"Thirteen Reasons Why" is written in two different tenses. The Prologue and Part 9 are written in the present; Parts 1 through 8 are written as a flashback. Why do you think the author chose to write the story this way? Do you think it added to the story? Why or why not? How does the telling of the story contribute to the suspense? The action? Use examples from the story to answer the question.
How is Bryce Walker a major character in this story?
1) List Hannah's interactions with Bryce in the book.
2) How have those interactions influenced Hannah's choices?
3) List Clay's interactions with Bryce in the book.
4) How have the memories of those interactions changed Clay?
Use examples from the text to answer the the question.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)