|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hannah suggest the listener do as he/she listens to the tapes?
2. Where does Clay ask his mother to meet him with the remaining tapes?
3. How did Clay react to Hannah's death?
4. Who is the last name on the list of people to receive the tapes?
5. Rumors started about Hannah after what event?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Clay Jensen doing as the story opens?
2. How does Clay feel about Jenny?
3. What does Clay find in the Scribble Book at Monet's?
4. How does Clay feel about what he has heard on the tapes he is mailing to Jenny?
5. Why is Courtney included in Hannah's tapes?
6. What is the "Oh My Dollar Valentine's" event?
7. What rumors do Hannah and Clay remember during cassette 1, side A?
8. How does Clay's chat with the server at Monet's cause him to wonder about himself?
9. What happened as a result of Hannah's Valentine matches?
10. Who is Alex Standall and what did he do to Hannah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The past relationship between Hannah and Clay comes to a climax during the house party on Cottonwood Street. Up until this point, the reader is unaware that Hannah and Clay's relationship anything more than just friendship and a shared longing. What happened between the two in the bedroom during the party? How did Hannah's kiss with Justin interfere with their kiss? Why did Clay apologize to Hannah after their kiss? How did both Clay and Hannah miss an opportunity to help Hannah with her self destructive feelings?
Essay Topic 2
How many things that happen to Hannah in the story are a direct result of her loss of reputation? How is she treated differently by boys? Who has treated her differently? How was she treated differently by girls? Even if the rumors about Hannah and Justin were true, would she have deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Do you think that the author is trying to make a statement? If so, what statement is he trying to make?
Use examples from the text to answer the questions.
Essay Topic 3
"Thirteen Reasons Why" is written in two different tenses. The Prologue and Part 9 are written in the present; Parts 1 through 8 are written as a flashback. Why do you think the author chose to write the story this way? Do you think it added to the story? Why or why not? How does the telling of the story contribute to the suspense? The action? Use examples from the story to answer the question.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)