|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose desk is in the middle of Mr. Porter's room?
2. Where does the Oh My Dollar Valentines event take place?
3. Who does Clay chat with when he arrives at Monet's?
4. How long does Hannah wait for Marcus at Rosie's?
5. Which boy on Hannah's list calls her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Hannah and Justin partially responsible for what happened to Jessica?
2. What happened after Hannah anonymously asked the Peer Communications teacher to discuss suicide?
3. Why is it ironic that Hannah asks the listener not to give up on her at the beginning of Cassette 6, Side B?
4. Why is Courtney included in Hannah's tapes?
5. How does Hannah feel about Courtney Crimson?
6. Why does Hannah feel that the rest of her 13 reasons were either directly or indirectly related to this list?
7. What is the relationship like between Clay and his mother?
8. Why was Tony waiting for Clay outside of Rosie's diner?
9. What happened as a result of Hannah's Valentine matches?
10. What is significant about Hannah's appearance in this section?
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used heavily in the novel. Why might the author use this particular technique? How does it affect you as the reader? Did it cause you to read faster? More slowly? Did it keep you interested? Did it cause you to lose interest? Explain why you feel the ways you do.
Essay Topic 2
The past relationship between Hannah and Clay comes to a climax during the house party on Cottonwood Street. Up until this point, the reader is unaware that Hannah and Clay's relationship anything more than just friendship and a shared longing. What happened between the two in the bedroom during the party? How did Hannah's kiss with Justin interfere with their kiss? Why did Clay apologize to Hannah after their kiss? How did both Clay and Hannah miss an opportunity to help Hannah with her self destructive feelings?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the book Clay expresses his feeling that the next person on the list, Jenny, doesn't deserve "one final day of peace." What has Jenny done that is so bad? What are her interactions with Hannah? Do you feel these interactions are the source of Clay's anger? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,971 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)