|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of Hannah's tapes?
2. Whose stories are told in the book?
3. Which boy on Hannah's list calls her?
4. How does Hannah ensure people will listen to the tapes?
5. How does Clay know the tattooed girl in the cafe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Clay going after he leaves the post office?
2. What does Clay remember about Bryce Walker?
3. Why is Courtney included in Hannah's tapes?
4. What is inside the package that Clay receives when he arrives home from school?
5. How does Clay feel about Jenny?
6. Why is Clay shocked and surprised that the tapes are from Hannah?
7. Who is Skye?
8. Why is Clay reluctant to go to school?
9. What is Clay thinking about as Hannah is recounting the Valentine's event?
10. Why would the author begin the story with a Prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ryan Shaver and why is he listed as one of Hannah's Thirteen Reasons? Why was Ryan's betrayal especially hurtful to Hannah? Do you think he intended to hurt her? Why or why not? What does Clay realize about Hannah's poem as he is listening to the tapes? How does his realization make him feel?
Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
As Clay goes to Hannah's house, the first stop on her map, he recalls a fatal car accident he witnessed on the same street. A man was talking on the phone when he hit another car. The driver of the other car, a senior in high school, died. Clay realizes that the man lived in Hannah's old house.
Why do you think the author included this memory in the story?
What might this event represent?
How do you think the memory might tie into the story later?
Does this information make you more interested in the story? Less interested?
Essay Topic 3
It is certain that many people negatively affected Hannah's life. She was betrayed and treated poorly by a number of people she trusted and others that she didn't trust. However, Hannah seems to have made some choices throughout the book that put her in harm's way.
Give 5 examples of how Hannah put herself in situations where she could be treated poorly.
1) Explain what Hannah could have done differently.
2) Why do you think Hannah did these things?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)