|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which tape is Clay listening to as Part 4 begins?
2. Whose desk is in the middle of Mr. Porter's room?
3. Who was in the picture with Hannah that a teacher saw in the yearbook room?
4. What is the purpose of Hannah's tapes?
5. Who does Clay think does not deserve "one final day of peace"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tony become responsible for the tapes?
2. What is Clay Jensen doing as the story opens?
3. What does Clay think about as he goes to his locker?
4. What happened in Hannah's poetry class that reinforced her belief that people always betrayed her?
5. What happened as Jenny and Hannah were driving home from the party?
6. Why is it ironic that Hannah asks the listener not to give up on her at the beginning of Cassette 6, Side B?
7. Why did Hannah like poetry?
8. How did Hannah meet Jessica and Alex?
9. Why does Hannah feel that the rest of her 13 reasons were either directly or indirectly related to this list?
10. What happened between Hannah and Tyler Down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ryan Shaver and why is he listed as one of Hannah's Thirteen Reasons? Why was Ryan's betrayal especially hurtful to Hannah? Do you think he intended to hurt her? Why or why not? What does Clay realize about Hannah's poem as he is listening to the tapes? How does his realization make him feel?
Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The past relationship between Hannah and Clay comes to a climax during the house party on Cottonwood Street. Up until this point, the reader is unaware that Hannah and Clay's relationship anything more than just friendship and a shared longing. What happened between the two in the bedroom during the party? How did Hannah's kiss with Justin interfere with their kiss? Why did Clay apologize to Hannah after their kiss? How did both Clay and Hannah miss an opportunity to help Hannah with her self destructive feelings?
Essay Topic 3
How has Hannah damaged Clay's feelings about himself? Do you think this was her intent when she included him in the tapes? How do you know? Should Clay (or any of the others) feel partially responsible for Hannah's death? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,989 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)