|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What side of the cassette is Clay listening to in Part 2?
2. What did Courtney do to Hannah one night when they attended a party?
3. How many reasons does Hannah have for killing herself?
4. Who does Clay chat with when he arrives at Monet's?
5. The story begins as a__________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship like between Clay and his mother?
2. What technique does the author use to tell the main body of the story?
3. How did Hannah meet Jessica and Alex?
4. Why was Tony waiting for Clay outside of Rosie's diner?
5. Why did Hannah create the tapes and have them sent to different people?
6. Why would the author begin the story with a Prologue?
7. If Clay enjoyed spending time with Hannah, and wanted to date her, why didn't he?
8. Why does Hannah feel that the rest of her 13 reasons were either directly or indirectly related to this list?
9. Why does Hannah wish for people to follow a map?
10. Why does Clay believe people won't say sorry to Hannah even after she is dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Hannah's first kiss with Justin to Clay's memories of her first kiss with him. How did Hannah feel about the kisses? How did Clay feel about the kisses? What happened after Hannah kissed Justin? What does Clay remember happening after Hannah kissed him? How did Hannah feel about Justin's bragging? Use the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What has Clay learned about himself, and about Hannah, by the end of the book?
1) Who does Clay blame for Hannah's death?
2) Does he feel that things were as hopeless as Hannah thought?
3) What actions does Clay take as a result of Hannah's tapes?
4) What has Clay learned about himself?
Use examples from the text to explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What happened to Jessica during the Cottonwood house party? What was Hannah's role in the event? What was Justin's role? How does the fact that Jessica was drunk contribute to what happened? Why do you think Justin didn't do anything to stop Bryce? Why would he allow Jessica to be harmed? Why didn't Hannah do anything to help Jessica? How might Hannah's failure to help Jessica have pushed Hannah over the edge?
This section contains 2,008 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)