|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is at Tyler's house when Clay arrives?
2. Who is the last name on the list of people to receive the tapes?
3. Who introduced Hannah to Jessica?
4. Who does Clay remember becoming obsessed with as a result of Alex's list?
5. Who does Clay chat with when he arrives at Monet's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hannah wish for people to follow a map?
2. What is Clay thinking about as Hannah is recounting the Valentine's event?
3. Who is Skye?
4. What will happen if the recipients of the tapes do not listen to them and follow Hannah's map?
5. How does Hannah feel about Courtney Crimson?
6. What is the relationship like between Clay and his mother?
7. What is the "Oh My Dollar Valentine's" event?
8. How does Clay's chat with the server at Monet's cause him to wonder about himself?
9. Why does Hannah feel that the rest of her 13 reasons were either directly or indirectly related to this list?
10. Why did Hannah create the tapes and have them sent to different people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How many things that happen to Hannah in the story are a direct result of her loss of reputation? How is she treated differently by boys? Who has treated her differently? How was she treated differently by girls? Even if the rumors about Hannah and Justin were true, would she have deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Do you think that the author is trying to make a statement? If so, what statement is he trying to make?
Use examples from the text to answer the questions.
Essay Topic 2
Clay finds a picture of Hannah and Courtney in the Scribble Book at Monet's, later he realizes that Tyler is the person who put the picture in the book.
1) Who took the picture of the girls?
2) Why was it taken?
3) What was the significance of the picture to Hannah? What did it represent to her?
4) Why might Tyler have put the picture in the book? Does it indicate how he felt after listening to the tapes?
5) Do you think Tyler was changed by Hannah's death and tapes? Why or why not?
Use the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
"Thirteen Reasons Why" is written in two different tenses. The Prologue and Part 9 are written in the present; Parts 1 through 8 are written as a flashback. Why do you think the author chose to write the story this way? Do you think it added to the story? Why or why not? How does the telling of the story contribute to the suspense? The action? Use examples from the story to answer the question.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)