• Clay Jensen is introduced as the novel's narrator.
• Clay is at the post office mailing a package to a girl named Jenny.
• Jenny is the next person on a list created by Hannah.
• The list gives names of people who are to receive tapes made by Hannah.
• Clay is upset by the tapes and wonders how others will react to hearing them.
Part 1, p. 5 - 35
• Clay finds a package containing Hannah's tapes when he returns home from school.
• The tapes explain the 13 reasons why Hannah decided to commit suicide a few weeks earlier.
• If the recipients of the tapes refuse to comply with Hannah's directions the tapes will be released publicly.
• Hannah's story begins with her first kiss on a playground with a boy named Justin.
• Hannah was new to town and was just making friends.
• Untrue rumors began to circulate that more happened between the two...
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)