|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Thirteen Days, pgs. 35-61.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said that Russia only wanted to "give bread to Cuba in order to prevent hunger in that country" (34)?
2. Who was U Thant?
(a) Acting Secretary General of the United Nations.
(b) Soviet Ambassador to the United Nations.
(c) Soviet Chairman.
(d) Secretary of Defense.
3. Who intervened with the newspapers to delay the report of the Cuban Missile Crisis?
(b) Ed Martin.
(c) George Ball.
(d) Robert Kennedy.
4. According to Robert in the section, "It was now up to one single man," what did JFK stress in his speech to the nation?
(a) The U.S. was not yet in danger.
(b) The U.S. would invade Cuba.
(c) The surgical air-strike was the initial step.
(d) The blockade was the initial step.
5. When looking at the first photographs of the missile bases in Cuba, what did JFK say it looked like?
(a) Swimming pool.
(b) Football field.
(d) Soccer field.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the first tanker to reach the barrier?
2. What did the intelligence community tell JFK on September 19th, regarding the possibility of Russians putting offensive weapons in Cuba?
3. In the section entitled, "It was now up to one single man," when did JFK hope to broadcast his plan to the nation?
4. What happened around 10:30, October 27th, the first day of the blockade?
5. How many ships either stopped or turned back before reaching the blockade?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)