|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What medal did Norman Bowker almost win?
(a) Gold Star
(b) Silver Star
(c) Purple Heart
(d) Medal of Honor
2. Who does Rat Kiley accuse of whispering his name?
(a) The bugs
(b) The trees
(c) The villagers
(d) The other men in the platoon
3. What was the young man trying to show Kiowa before "the whole field blew up around them?"
(a) A postcard from home
(b) A picture of his girlfriend
(c) A medal for bravery
(d) A passage in the Bible
4. What question does Tim's daughter ask him?
(a) Did you have a girlfriend in Vietnam?
(b) Did you ever kill anyone?
(c) Did you lose your best friend in war?
(d) Did you ever get shot?
5. By what area of the body does Norman Bowker attempt to pull the body out of the muck?
(a) His arm
(b) His hand
(c) His boot
(d) His belt
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator find relief from his feelings about the war?
2. How did Rat Kiley tease Tim to keep him out of shock?
3. What is the person they meet doing in the middle of a burned house?
4. In Tim's imagination, what village is the man he killed from?
5. How does Rat Kiley deal with the mission at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree with Kiowa or Tim's point of view about the kill? Why?
2. What is the main struggle for the narrator/author in the chapter "Good Form?"
3. How does Tim react to Bobby Jorgenson's failings as a medic?
4. What does Tim invent about the man he killed?
5. What power do stories have for people dealing with death?
6. How is Norma Bowker's life before the war and after the war contrasted?
7. What happens to Tim after he kills the man in the path with a grenade?
8. Who does Tim go on a trip with and where do they go?
9. What two types of truth are there for the author and reader?
10. What is Norman's assessment of his valor and bravery?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)