|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first person Tim grieved for their death?
(a) The man he killed on the trail
(b) His grandfather
2. What was unique about the mission the men were given when Rat Kiley was injured?
(a) They had to keep talking nonstop as part of a ruse
(b) They had to crawl the entire way
(c) They had to walk at night and sleep during the day
(d) They had to work alone
3. How do the men in the platoon treat Tim when they run into him at the supply command?
(a) They greet him and treat him as if nothing happened
(b) They treat him politely and ask him for favors
(c) They treat him distantly, because he isn't one of them anymore
(d) They ignore him because they all thought he died
4. What is wrong with the field that Lt. Cross selects as the campsite that night?
(a) It's where the village keeps their sewage
(b) It's crawling with venomous snakes
(c) It's a graveyard
(d) It's infested with large bugs
5. Who is the most upset by the act, and wants to know why the villager is behaving that way?
(c) Henry Dobbins
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years has it been since the war for the author, at the time of writing the novel?
2. By what area of the body does Norman Bowker attempt to pull the body out of the muck?
3. How did Tim get the idea for the chapter titled "Speaking of Courage?"
4. How old was Tim when he first dealt with death?
5. What did Kiowa's father do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two types of truth are there for the author and reader?
2. How does Rat Kiley cope with the difficult mission of up all night, and sleeping during the day?
3. Do you agree with Kiowa or Tim's point of view about the kill? Why?
4. How did the men recover Kiowa's body?
5. What is Norman's assessment of his valor and bravery?
6. How do Henry Dobbins and Azar disagree about the girl's motive to dance?
7. What was Tim's first experience with death?
8. How does Norman Bowker ultimately cope with returning home?
9. Who does Tim go on a trip with and where do they go?
10. Explain Tim's dilemma about how he killed a man on the trail outside My Khe.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)