|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT a way Norman Bowker attempts to return to normal life?
(a) Dating a number of women
(b) Classes at a community college
(c) Basketball at the YMCA
(d) Working at various jobs
2. What color clothes was the man wearing when Tim killed him?
3. What does Tim think would have happened if he ignored the man on the trail?
(a) The man would have just continued down the trail, unharmed
(b) The man would have surrendered
(c) Someone else in the platoon would have killed him
(d) The man would have planted land mines
4. Other than Kathleen and Tim, who else watched him get into the river?
(a) A young child eating
(b) An old man farming
(c) A woman carrying a basket
(d) A young man hauling rice
5. What question does Tim's daughter ask him?
(a) Did you lose your best friend in war?
(b) Did you ever get shot?
(c) Did you ever kill anyone?
(d) Did you have a girlfriend in Vietnam?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Norman Bowker's chief criticism of the first draft of "Speaking of Courage?"
2. How did the old farmer react to Tim?
3. Who warns Lt. Cross about the location the men choose to camp in?
4. What Army position did the narrator hold?
5. Who do the platoon meet in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Norma Bowker's life before the war and after the war contrasted?
2. What is Norman's assessment of his valor and bravery?
3. How does Norman Bowker ultimately cope with returning home?
4. Do you agree with Kiowa or Tim's point of view about the kill? Why?
5. How does Rat Kiley cope with the difficult mission of up all night, and sleeping during the day?
6. How do Henry Dobbins and Azar disagree about the girl's motive to dance?
7. What is the purpose of the visit to the battlefield where Kiowa was killed?
8. What two types of truth are there for the author and reader?
9. How does Tim react to Bobby Jorgenson's failings as a medic?
10. How did the men recover Kiowa's body?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)