|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tim trying to save with a story?
(a) His own life
(b) All of his war buddies' lives
(c) Linda's memory
(d) Kathleen's education
2. How did the old farmer react to Tim?
(a) He shook hands and shared war stories
(b) He gave him a hug
(c) He raised a shovel in defiance
(d) He smiled as he drove past
3. Who helps Tim spook Bobby Jorgenson out on patrol?
(b) Morty Phillips
(c) Henry Dobbins
(d) Mitchell Sanders
4. How did Tim get the idea for the chapter titled "Speaking of Courage?"
(a) From a newspaper article
(b) From his chat with Lt. Cross
(c) From a visit back to Vietnam
(d) From a letter written by Norman Bowker
5. Why does Henry Dobbins think the girl is dancing?
(a) Because it is a ritual
(b) Because she wants the soldiers to like her
(c) Because she is nervous
(d) Because she wants to
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rat Kiley accuse of whispering his name?
2. By what area of the body does Norman Bowker attempt to pull the body out of the muck?
3. What landmark was Tim able to recognize in the field where Kiowa died, years later?
4. What activity does Norman Bowker do to avoid his troubles?
5. Who mimics the girl's dancing later that night, making Henry Dobbins angry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about the movements required of Alpha Company for this chapter's mission?
2. What is the main struggle for the narrator/author in the chapter "Good Form?"
3. Do you agree with Kiowa or Tim's point of view about the kill? Why?
4. Who does Tim go on a trip with and where do they go?
5. What two types of truth are there for the author and reader?
6. What happens to Tim after he kills the man in the path with a grenade?
7. What does Tim invent about the man he killed?
8. What was Tim's first experience with death?
9. What power do stories have for people dealing with death?
10. How does Rat Kiley cope with the difficult mission of up all night, and sleeping during the day?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)