|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Tim when he first dealt with death?
2. What is the name of Tim's daughter?
(d) Mary Anne
3. How do the men in the platoon treat Tim when they run into him at the supply command?
(a) They treat him politely and ask him for favors
(b) They treat him distantly, because he isn't one of them anymore
(c) They greet him and treat him as if nothing happened
(d) They ignore him because they all thought he died
4. Which is NOT a way Norman Bowker attempts to return to normal life?
(a) Dating a number of women
(b) Classes at a community college
(c) Working at various jobs
(d) Basketball at the YMCA
5. Which is not a way the men coped with the night mission?
(b) Safety line
(c) Vitamins for better eye sight
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is curious about if the narrator killed anybody?
2. What part of the story is Tim's own?
3. What was Norman Bowker's chief criticism of the first draft of "Speaking of Courage?"
4. What did the man on trail wear on his feet?
5. What did Kiowa's father do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Norma Bowker's life before the war and after the war contrasted?
2. What was Tim's first experience with death?
3. What happens to Tim after he kills the man in the path with a grenade?
4. How does Norman Bowker ultimately cope with returning home?
5. Who does Tim go on a trip with and where do they go?
6. How do Henry Dobbins and Azar disagree about the girl's motive to dance?
7. How did the men recover Kiowa's body?
8. Contrast the two times Tim was shot.
9. Explain who feels blame for Kiowa's death.
10. What two types of truth are there for the author and reader?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)