|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What landmark was Tim able to recognize in the field where Kiowa died, years later?
(a) The exact place where Kiowa was hit by a shell
(b) The landing area the men cleared for the chopper
(c) The place where his foxhole was
(d) The small area where Lt. Cross had set up command post
2. What is wrong with the field that Lt. Cross selects as the campsite that night?
(a) It's crawling with venomous snakes
(b) It's where the village keeps their sewage
(c) It's infested with large bugs
(d) It's a graveyard
3. Other than Kathleen and Tim, who else watched him get into the river?
(a) A woman carrying a basket
(b) An old man farming
(c) A young man hauling rice
(d) A young child eating
4. What does Tim think would have happened if he ignored the man on the trail?
(a) The man would have surrendered
(b) The man would have just continued down the trail, unharmed
(c) The man would have planted land mines
(d) Someone else in the platoon would have killed him
5. What was wrong with the village the men come upon in "Style?"
(a) It is deserted
(b) The villagers are all supporting the American cause
(c) All the villagers are sick
(d) It is mostly all burned
Short Answer Questions
1. In Tim's imagination, what village is the man he killed from?
2. Which is NOT a way Norman Bowker attempts to return to normal life?
3. What is not a phrase used by the men to describe the dead?
4. Which soldier is killed in the swampy field, and subsequently stuck in the muck?
5. Who does Tim blame for his near-death experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What power do stories have for people dealing with death?
2. How does Norman Bowker ultimately cope with returning home?
3. Explain who feels blame for Kiowa's death.
4. How did the men recover Kiowa's body?
5. What was Tim's first experience with death?
6. What two types of truth are there for the author and reader?
7. Explain Tim's dilemma about how he killed a man on the trail outside My Khe.
8. How do Henry Dobbins and Azar disagree about the girl's motive to dance?
9. How is Norma Bowker's life before the war and after the war contrasted?
10. Contrast the two times Tim was shot.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)