|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What member of the platoon attempts to comfort Tim after he kills a man?
(a) Rat Kiley
(d) Lt. Cross
2. Who helps Tim spook Bobby Jorgenson out on patrol?
(a) Morty Phillips
(c) Mitchell Sanders
(d) Henry Dobbins
3. Who is the most upset by the act, and wants to know why the villager is behaving that way?
(a) Henry Dobbins
4. How many years has it been since the war for the author, at the time of writing the novel?
(a) 2 years
(b) 20 years
(c) 10 years
(d) 30 years
5. What is the name of Tim's daughter?
(a) Mary Anne
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say about truth?
2. What was Norman Bowker's chief criticism of the first draft of "Speaking of Courage?"
3. What is wrong with the field that Lt. Cross selects as the campsite that night?
4. Who does Tim take with him on his trip to Vietnam?
5. What landmark was Tim able to recognize in the field where Kiowa died, years later?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain who feels blame for Kiowa's death.
2. How did the men recover Kiowa's body?
3. What two types of truth are there for the author and reader?
4. How does Rat Kiley cope with the difficult mission of up all night, and sleeping during the day?
5. Do you agree with Kiowa or Tim's point of view about the kill? Why?
6. How does Tim react to Bobby Jorgenson's failings as a medic?
7. What was Tim's first experience with death?
8. What important information does the reader learn about the story in the preceding chapter?
9. What happens to Tim after he kills the man in the path with a grenade?
10. What is the main struggle for the narrator/author in the chapter "Good Form?"
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)