|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what area of the body does Norman Bowker attempt to pull the body out of the muck?
(a) His boot
(b) His arm
(c) His hand
(d) His belt
2. Other than Kathleen and Tim, who else watched him get into the river?
(a) A young man hauling rice
(b) A woman carrying a basket
(c) An old man farming
(d) A young child eating
3. What Army position did the narrator hold?
(b) Radio man
(d) Foot soldier
4. What was unique about the mission the men were given when Rat Kiley was injured?
(a) They had to walk at night and sleep during the day
(b) They had to work alone
(c) They had to crawl the entire way
(d) They had to keep talking nonstop as part of a ruse
5. In Tim's imagination, what village is the man he killed from?
(a) My Khe
(b) Tra Bong
(c) Than Khe
Short Answer Questions
1. What personal item did Tim "bury" in the river?
2. How does Rat Kiley deal with the mission at first?
3. Who makes the decision to NOT alert Lt. Cross about finding the body?
4. How did Rat Kiley tease Tim to keep him out of shock?
5. Who helps Tim spook Bobby Jorgenson out on patrol?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important information does the reader learn about the story in the preceding chapter?
2. What happens to Tim after he kills the man in the path with a grenade?
3. How does Tim react to Bobby Jorgenson's failings as a medic?
4. What two types of truth are there for the author and reader?
5. Do you agree with Kiowa or Tim's point of view about the kill? Why?
6. Explain who feels blame for Kiowa's death.
7. What is unique about the movements required of Alpha Company for this chapter's mission?
8. What is Norman's assessment of his valor and bravery?
9. Who does Tim go on a trip with and where do they go?
10. How does Norman Bowker ultimately cope with returning home?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)