|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What almost killed Tim?
(a) A partial land mine detonation
(b) A shot to the shoulder
(c) A knife wound from town
(d) An improperly dressed wound
2. Which is NOT a way the men react to Rat Kiley's injury?
(a) Offer to write it up as an accident
(b) Calling him a coward
(c) Cheer him up about the hospitals in Japan
(d) Give him comic books to read
3. How old was Tim when he first dealt with death?
4. What personal item did Tim "bury" in the river?
(a) Lt. Cross's pebble
(b) Henry Dobbins' panty hose
(c) Kiowa's moccasins
(d) A picture of his old girlfriend
5. Other than Kathleen and Tim, who else watched him get into the river?
(a) A young man hauling rice
(b) A woman carrying a basket
(c) A young child eating
(d) An old man farming
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tim blame for his near-death experience?
2. What time of day was it when Tim killed the man on the trail?
3. How does Rat Kiley deal with the mission at first?
4. What is wrong with the field that Lt. Cross selects as the campsite that night?
5. Who makes the decision to NOT alert Lt. Cross about finding the body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the dancing girl symbolize to you?
2. Explain Tim's dilemma about how he killed a man on the trail outside My Khe.
3. What is the purpose of the visit to the battlefield where Kiowa was killed?
4. How is Norma Bowker's life before the war and after the war contrasted?
5. How does Norman Bowker ultimately cope with returning home?
6. Do you agree with Kiowa or Tim's point of view about the kill? Why?
7. What two types of truth are there for the author and reader?
8. How did the men recover Kiowa's body?
9. Explain who feels blame for Kiowa's death.
10. How does Tim react to Bobby Jorgenson's failings as a medic?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)