|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first person Tim grieved for their death?
(a) His grandfather
(d) The man he killed on the trail
2. What activity does Norman Bowker do to avoid his troubles?
(a) He works a double shift
(b) He relaxes with his Dad and watches baseball
(c) He gets drunk
(d) He drives around the lake
3. Where did Tim and Linda go on a date?
(a) To the park
(b) To a skating rink
(c) To a movie
(d) To a baseball game
4. What did the man on trail wear on his feet?
(c) Rubber sandals
5. How many years has it been since the war for the author, at the time of writing the novel?
(a) 10 years
(b) 2 years
(c) 20 years
(d) 30 years
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rat Kiley ensure a ticket home?
2. What couldn't Tim bring himself to do?
3. What was Norman Bowker's chief criticism of the first draft of "Speaking of Courage?"
4. What color clothes was the man wearing when Tim killed him?
5. What landmark was Tim able to recognize in the field where Kiowa died, years later?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the visit to the battlefield where Kiowa was killed?
2. What two types of truth are there for the author and reader?
3. Explain Tim's dilemma about how he killed a man on the trail outside My Khe.
4. How does Tim react to Bobby Jorgenson's failings as a medic?
5. What does Tim invent about the man he killed?
6. What does the dancing girl symbolize to you?
7. Contrast the two times Tim was shot.
8. What is Norman's assessment of his valor and bravery?
9. Explain who feels blame for Kiowa's death.
10. What was Tim's first experience with death?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)