|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Umuofia the next time Obierika comes to visit Okonkwo, two years later?
2. What does the angry band of egwugwu do to Enoch's compound and the Christian church as revenge for unmasking one of the ancestral spirits?
3. What type of clan members join the white man's religion?
4. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
5. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
2. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
3. How does the saying "You can never go home again" hold true for Okonkwo when he returns home after seven years in exile?
4. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
5. Okonkwo believes a man cannot rise above his chi, or destiny. Explain why you agree or disagree with Okonkwo's belief.
6. When the missionaries come to Umuofia, they tell the people that their gods are not alive and have no effect on their lives. Do you think this is a good approach for the missionaries to take? Explain why.
7. Uchendu gives a speech to the guests at Okonkwo's farewell feast, saying that it is good for kinsmen to come together. What did he fear for the young people of the clan?
8. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
9. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
10. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the evidence presented to the egwugwu in the case of Mgbafo and Uzowlulu. Do you think the testimony given by each side is convincing? Defend or criticize the verdict of the egwugwu.
Essay Topic 2
Write three paragraphs relating the events that led up to Okonkwo's demise for the District Commissioner's book: The Pacification of the Primitive Tribes of the Lower Niger.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast two characters from the novel.
2) What are their physical descriptions, their personalities, feelings, and speech and behavior?
3) Are they believable characters, and how do other characters feel about them?
4) How do they relate to one another?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)