|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
2. What happens to the Christian women who go to the stream for water to wash the church with?
3. What does Okonkwo hope his sons will be initiated into when his family returns from exile?
4. What does Obierika bring for Okonkwo two years after Okonkwo had been exiled?
5. What does Nwoye do after his father, Okonkwo, beats him for being with the missionaries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
2. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
3. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
4. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
5. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
6. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
7. Okonkwo believes a man cannot rise above his chi, or destiny. Explain why you agree or disagree with Okonkwo's belief.
8. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
9. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
10. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Nwoye's struggles with coming of age.
2) Would you say that his fears and emotions were a blessing or a curse?
3) Do you defend or criticize his conversion to the white man's religion? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
Write three paragraphs relating the events that led up to Okonkwo's demise for the District Commissioner's book: The Pacification of the Primitive Tribes of the Lower Niger.
Essay Topic 3
In the Igbo culture, there are feminine and masculine crimes.
1) Describe the difference between feminine and masculine crimes.
2) Which is considered more severe by the people and why?
3) Which of the two crimes did Okonkwo commit and what was his punishment?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)