|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Smith tell the people about ogbanje, the evil children who are born over and over again to plague their mothers?
2. What do the missionaries tell the Mbanta people about their gods?
3. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
4. What does Okonkwo do when the court messengers come to the meeting, telling the clan to stop?
5. Who says that the Abame were fools and had been warned of danger, and that they should have brought guns and machetes with them to the market?
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the character of Okonkwo.
2) How is he depicted by the author?
3) How is he revealed through his own words and actions, and through the observations of other characters?
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize the economic system of the Igbo people before the white man's appearance.
2) How was wealth determined?
3) Describe how a man could attain wealth if nothing was left to him by his father.
Essay Topic 3
In the Igbo culture, there are feminine and masculine crimes.
1) Describe the difference between feminine and masculine crimes.
2) Which is considered more severe by the people and why?
3) Which of the two crimes did Okonkwo commit and what was his punishment?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)