|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Enoch do that is one of the greatest crimes a man can commit during the annual ceremony?
2. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
3. What is the first thing Okonkwo plans to do when he returns to his clan?
4. What option does Ajofia, the leading egwugwu, give to Mr. Smith when they come to the church?
5. Where does Okonkwo bring his family after being banished from his village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
2. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
3. What is Okonkwo's attitude after he is released from prison?
4. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
5. Compare the personalities of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith. Which man do you think was better for the people of Umuofia?
6. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
7. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
8. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
9. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
10. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize the economic system of the Igbo people before the white man's appearance.
2) How was wealth determined?
3) Describe how a man could attain wealth if nothing was left to him by his father.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the three rituals of a wedding engagement for the Ibo people: the bride price, the delivery of the palm-wine, and the confession. Give a detailed summary of each ceremony.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the traditional celebrations, The Week of Peace or The Feast of the New Yam. Describe what happens during the celebration. Who is involved in the celebration? How long does it last? What impact does it have on the people? What is required of the people during the celebration? What are the traditional food and dress required, and what is the punishment if someone should violate the celebration?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)