|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Okonkwo send to Obierika as he enters his final year of exile?
2. What is Okonkwo's popular nickname?
3. Where does Obierika get the bags of cowries that he brings to Okonkwo?
4. How is Okonkwo going to thank his mother's people for helping him during his seven years in exile?
5. When Aneto kills Oduche over a land dispute, what does the white man's government decide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
2. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
3. Okonkwo's friend, Obierika pays a visit to Okonkwo after two years of exile. He brings new of the annihilation of the Abame clan. Do you believe the white man is justified in their attack of the Abame clan? Explain.
4. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
5. What is Okonkwo's attitude after he is released from prison?
6. Compare the personalities of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith. Which man do you think was better for the people of Umuofia?
7. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
8. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
9. Okonkwo believes a man cannot rise above his chi, or destiny. Explain why you agree or disagree with Okonkwo's belief.
10. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the evidence presented to the egwugwu in the case of Mgbafo and Uzowlulu. Do you think the testimony given by each side is convincing? Defend or criticize the verdict of the egwugwu.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the character of Okonkwo.
2) How is he depicted by the author?
3) How is he revealed through his own words and actions, and through the observations of other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Write three paragraphs relating the events that led up to Okonkwo's demise for the District Commissioner's book: The Pacification of the Primitive Tribes of the Lower Niger.
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)