|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the final ceremony, Amikwu, Uchendu's youngest son, has to perform before getting married?
2. Who is the missionary that replaces Mr. Brown in Umuofia?
3. Every man learns the language of the ekwe. How does the wooden instrument let the people know exactly who has died?
4. Who touches off the conflict between church and clan in Umuofia that has been building since Mr. Brown left?
5. What punishment does the District Commissioner give the six leaders of Umuofia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
2. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
3. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
4. Do you agree that Mr. Kiaga's choice of allowing the outcasts, osu, to join the other converts in the church is in the best interest of his congregation? Explain.
5. How does the saying "You can never go home again" hold true for Okonkwo when he returns home after seven years in exile?
6. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
7. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
8. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
9. Uchendu gives a speech to the guests at Okonkwo's farewell feast, saying that it is good for kinsmen to come together. What did he fear for the young people of the clan?
10. Compare the personalities of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith. Which man do you think was better for the people of Umuofia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While waiting for Ezinma to be released from the cave of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, she has a flashback.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her relationship with Okonkwo?
2) How does it compare with their present relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Ekwefi gave birth to ten children. Nine of them died in infancy. The only survivor is Ezinma. The clan believes that Ekwefi's children are ogbanje.
1) Explain what an ogbanje is.
2) Describe what rituals the medicine man performs on ogbanje and why.
3) Explain why the medicine man asks Ezinma to show him where her iyi-uwa is buried and what does he do with it.
Essay Topic 3
Enoch, the court messenger, is the cause of one of the biggest conflicts between the white man and the clan members. Describe the consequences of his offense and how it leads to further tragedy in the novel.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)