|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Obierika get the bags of cowries that he brings to Okonkwo?
2. What is the name of the man that the ekwe announces to Umuofia?
3. What is an osu?
4. Who is the white missionary that makes friends with great men of the clan and is presented with a carved elephant tusk?
5. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
2. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
3. When the missionaries come to Umuofia, they tell the people that their gods are not alive and have no effect on their lives. Do you think this is a good approach for the missionaries to take? Explain why.
4. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
5. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
6. What is Okonkwo's attitude after he is released from prison?
7. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
8. Do you agree that Mr. Kiaga's choice of allowing the outcasts, osu, to join the other converts in the church is in the best interest of his congregation? Explain.
9. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
10. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the three rituals of a wedding engagement for the Ibo people: the bride price, the delivery of the palm-wine, and the confession. Give a detailed summary of each ceremony.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the role of women in the novel with the role of women in today's American society. Cite specific examples from the novel, detailing women's jobs and responsibilities.
Essay Topic 3
The missionaries in Mbanta ask the rulers for a plot of land on which to build a church. The elders decide to give the missionaries a piece of land in the Evil Forest.
1) What is the significance of this decision?
2) What do the elders expect the outcome to be?
3) Relate what happened when the missionaries accepted the land.
4) What impact did final result have on the people of Mbanta?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)