|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Okonkwo hope his sons will be initiated into when his family returns from exile?
2. What do the people of Mbanta expect to happen to the missionaries when they start building their church?
3. What is the nickname of kotma, the court messengers who guard the prison which holds people who break the white man's law?
4. Why do the men of Umuofia meet in the marketplace after the village crier beats the message on the ogene?
5. What punishment does the District Commissioner give the six leaders of Umuofia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
2. When the missionaries come to Umuofia, they tell the people that their gods are not alive and have no effect on their lives. Do you think this is a good approach for the missionaries to take? Explain why.
3. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
4. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
5. Okonkwo's friend, Obierika pays a visit to Okonkwo after two years of exile. He brings new of the annihilation of the Abame clan. Do you believe the white man is justified in their attack of the Abame clan? Explain.
6. Uchendu gives a speech to the guests at Okonkwo's farewell feast, saying that it is good for kinsmen to come together. What did he fear for the young people of the clan?
7. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
8. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
9. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
10. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the role of women in the novel with the role of women in today's American society. Cite specific examples from the novel, detailing women's jobs and responsibilities.
Essay Topic 2
1) What are some of the differences between the white man's religion and government and the way of life of the inhabitants of Umuofia?
2) What indications are there that the District Commissioner and Reverend Smith consider theirs a superior culture and try to impose it on the Igbo people?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail the three rituals of a wedding engagement for the Ibo people: the bride price, the delivery of the palm-wine, and the confession. Give a detailed summary of each ceremony.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)