|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the six leaders of Umuofia treated while in captivity?
2. What is the nickname of kotma, the court messengers who guard the prison which holds people who break the white man's law?
3. What is the other thing that the white man brought to Umuofia besides religion?
4. What does the oldest member of the clan say is the reason for gathering for Okonkwo's feast?
5. How does Ekwefi and Ezinma harvest the cassava for the feast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
2. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
3. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
4. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
5. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
6. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
7. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
8. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
9. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
10. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Nwoye's struggles with coming of age.
2) Would you say that his fears and emotions were a blessing or a curse?
3) Do you defend or criticize his conversion to the white man's religion? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast two characters from the novel.
2) What are their physical descriptions, their personalities, feelings, and speech and behavior?
3) Are they believable characters, and how do other characters feel about them?
4) How do they relate to one another?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Okonkwo's suicide at the end of the novel.
2) Did he have any other alternatives?
3) Do you think this act made him more or less of a hero to his people? Why?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)