|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tragedy that takes place during the final burial rites for Ezeudu while the cannon is shot and guns fired?
2. What does Okonkwo send to Obierika as he enters his final year of exile?
3. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
4. What does Okonkwo serve at the feast for all the umunna, the descendants of Okolo?
5. Who is the white missionary that makes friends with great men of the clan and is presented with a carved elephant tusk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Uchendu gives a speech to the guests at Okonkwo's farewell feast, saying that it is good for kinsmen to come together. What did he fear for the young people of the clan?
2. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
3. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
4. Compare the personalities of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith. Which man do you think was better for the people of Umuofia?
5. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
6. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
7. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
8. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
9. Okonkwo's friend, Obierika pays a visit to Okonkwo after two years of exile. He brings new of the annihilation of the Abame clan. Do you believe the white man is justified in their attack of the Abame clan? Explain.
10. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast two characters from the novel.
2) What are their physical descriptions, their personalities, feelings, and speech and behavior?
3) Are they believable characters, and how do other characters feel about them?
4) How do they relate to one another?
Essay Topic 2
While waiting for Ezinma to be released from the cave of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, she has a flashback.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her relationship with Okonkwo?
2) How does it compare with their present relationship?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Nwoye's struggles with coming of age.
2) Would you say that his fears and emotions were a blessing or a curse?
3) Do you defend or criticize his conversion to the white man's religion? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)