|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the first woman to join the Christian missionaries?
2. Who touches off the conflict between church and clan in Umuofia that has been building since Mr. Brown left?
3. What does Uchendu, the younger brother of Okonkwo's mother, give to Okonkwo after he comes looking for refuge?
4. Why does Obierika tell Okonkwo that it is too late to fight the white man and drive him from the land?
5. How is Okonkwo going to thank his mother's people for helping him during his seven years in exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
2. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
3. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
4. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
5. Compare the personalities of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith. Which man do you think was better for the people of Umuofia?
6. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
7. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
8. Uchendu gives a speech to the guests at Okonkwo's farewell feast, saying that it is good for kinsmen to come together. What did he fear for the young people of the clan?
9. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
10. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Igbo culture, there are feminine and masculine crimes.
1) Describe the difference between feminine and masculine crimes.
2) Which is considered more severe by the people and why?
3) Which of the two crimes did Okonkwo commit and what was his punishment?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast two characters from the novel.
2) What are their physical descriptions, their personalities, feelings, and speech and behavior?
3) Are they believable characters, and how do other characters feel about them?
4) How do they relate to one another?
Essay Topic 3
1) What are some of the differences between the white man's religion and government and the way of life of the inhabitants of Umuofia?
2) What indications are there that the District Commissioner and Reverend Smith consider theirs a superior culture and try to impose it on the Igbo people?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)