|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event occurs that convinces the clan that the gods can fight their own battles?
2. Who is called the Crystal of Beauty in Mbanta, growing into a healthy, buoyant young woman?
3. What does Okonkwo mourn when he returns to his clan?
4. What is the tragedy that takes place during the final burial rites for Ezeudu while the cannon is shot and guns fired?
5. When the village meeting is called after the six leaders are released from the white man's prison, what does Okika say the clan should do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the saying "You can never go home again" hold true for Okonkwo when he returns home after seven years in exile?
2. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
3. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
4. Compare the personalities of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith. Which man do you think was better for the people of Umuofia?
5. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
6. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
7. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
8. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
9. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
10. Okonkwo's friend, Obierika pays a visit to Okonkwo after two years of exile. He brings new of the annihilation of the Abame clan. Do you believe the white man is justified in their attack of the Abame clan? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Enoch, the court messenger, is the cause of one of the biggest conflicts between the white man and the clan members. Describe the consequences of his offense and how it leads to further tragedy in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the role of women in the novel with the role of women in today's American society. Cite specific examples from the novel, detailing women's jobs and responsibilities.
Essay Topic 3
Write three paragraphs relating the events that led up to Okonkwo's demise for the District Commissioner's book: The Pacification of the Primitive Tribes of the Lower Niger.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)