|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
2. Who is captivated by the message of the missionaries?
3. What is the first thing Okonkwo plans to do when he returns to his clan?
4. Who touches off the conflict between church and clan in Umuofia that has been building since Mr. Brown left?
5. What is Okonkwo's punishment for killing Ezeudu's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
2. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
3. Okonkwo's friend, Obierika pays a visit to Okonkwo after two years of exile. He brings new of the annihilation of the Abame clan. Do you believe the white man is justified in their attack of the Abame clan? Explain.
4. How does the saying "You can never go home again" hold true for Okonkwo when he returns home after seven years in exile?
5. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
6. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
7. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
8. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
9. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
10. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Give three examples from the novel when Okonkwo uses poor impulse control.
2) Summarize the clan's reaction to the events.
3) Analyze the consequences of Okonkwo's actions.
Essay Topic 2
Enoch, the court messenger, is the cause of one of the biggest conflicts between the white man and the clan members. Describe the consequences of his offense and how it leads to further tragedy in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast two characters from the novel.
2) What are their physical descriptions, their personalities, feelings, and speech and behavior?
3) Are they believable characters, and how do other characters feel about them?
4) How do they relate to one another?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)