|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the village meeting is called after the six leaders are released from the white man's prison, what does Okika say the clan should do?
2. Every man learns the language of the ekwe. How does the wooden instrument let the people know exactly who has died?
3. What is Okonkwo afraid will happen to his male children after he dies?
4. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
5. Who is called the Crystal of Beauty in Mbanta, growing into a healthy, buoyant young woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
2. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
3. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
4. Uchendu gives a speech to the guests at Okonkwo's farewell feast, saying that it is good for kinsmen to come together. What did he fear for the young people of the clan?
5. Do you agree that Mr. Kiaga's choice of allowing the outcasts, osu, to join the other converts in the church is in the best interest of his congregation? Explain.
6. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
7. How does the saying "You can never go home again" hold true for Okonkwo when he returns home after seven years in exile?
8. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
9. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
10. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Throughout the novel, Okonkwo is afraid of being like his father. Describe the accomplishments Okonkwo achieves in his lifetime that makes him different from his father.
2) Explain why Okonkwo's final act turns his reputation into everything he feared in life.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Okonkwo's suicide at the end of the novel.
2) Did he have any other alternatives?
3) Do you think this act made him more or less of a hero to his people? Why?
Essay Topic 3
1) What are some of the differences between the white man's religion and government and the way of life of the inhabitants of Umuofia?
2) What indications are there that the District Commissioner and Reverend Smith consider theirs a superior culture and try to impose it on the Igbo people?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)