|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the rulers and elders of Mbanta decide to do about the Christians after one of the converts kills the Sacred Python?
2. What does Okika suggest they do that their fathers had never done before?
3. Every man learns the language of the ekwe. How does the wooden instrument let the people know exactly who has died?
4. What is the final ceremony, Amikwu, Uchendu's youngest son, has to perform before getting married?
5. Why does Obierika tell Okonkwo that it is too late to fight the white man and drive him from the land?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
2. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
3. Compare the personalities of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith. Which man do you think was better for the people of Umuofia?
4. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
5. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
6. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
7. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
8. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
9. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
10. How does the saying "You can never go home again" hold true for Okonkwo when he returns home after seven years in exile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the evidence presented to the egwugwu in the case of Mgbafo and Uzowlulu. Do you think the testimony given by each side is convincing? Defend or criticize the verdict of the egwugwu.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Nwoye's struggles with coming of age.
2) Would you say that his fears and emotions were a blessing or a curse?
3) Do you defend or criticize his conversion to the white man's religion? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
Enoch, the court messenger, is the cause of one of the biggest conflicts between the white man and the clan members. Describe the consequences of his offense and how it leads to further tragedy in the novel.
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)