|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the oldest member of the clan say is the reason for gathering for Okonkwo's feast?
2. Who touches off the conflict between church and clan in Umuofia that has been building since Mr. Brown left?
3. Who is the white missionary that makes friends with great men of the clan and is presented with a carved elephant tusk?
4. What do the missionaries tell the Mbanta people about their gods?
5. What is the name of the man that the ekwe announces to Umuofia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
2. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
3. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
4. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
5. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
6. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
7. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
8. Uchendu gives a speech to the guests at Okonkwo's farewell feast, saying that it is good for kinsmen to come together. What did he fear for the young people of the clan?
9. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
10. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While waiting for Ezinma to be released from the cave of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, she has a flashback.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her relationship with Okonkwo?
2) How does it compare with their present relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the evidence presented to the egwugwu in the case of Mgbafo and Uzowlulu. Do you think the testimony given by each side is convincing? Defend or criticize the verdict of the egwugwu.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the character of Okonkwo.
2) How is he depicted by the author?
3) How is he revealed through his own words and actions, and through the observations of other characters?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)