|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Okonkwo send to Obierika as he enters his final year of exile?
2. What type of clan members join the white man's religion?
3. What do the rulers and elders of Mbanta decide to do about the Christians after one of the converts kills the Sacred Python?
4. When the village meeting is called after the six leaders are released from the white man's prison, what does Okika say the clan should do?
5. What punishment does the District Commissioner give the six leaders of Umuofia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
2. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
3. What is Okonkwo's attitude after he is released from prison?
4. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
5. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
6. How does the saying "You can never go home again" hold true for Okonkwo when he returns home after seven years in exile?
7. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
8. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
9. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
10. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Give three examples from the novel when Okonkwo uses poor impulse control.
2) Summarize the clan's reaction to the events.
3) Analyze the consequences of Okonkwo's actions.
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize the economic system of the Igbo people before the white man's appearance.
2) How was wealth determined?
3) Describe how a man could attain wealth if nothing was left to him by his father.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Nwoye's struggles with coming of age.
2) Would you say that his fears and emotions were a blessing or a curse?
3) Do you defend or criticize his conversion to the white man's religion? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)