|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the Christian women who go to the stream for water to wash the church with?
2. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
3. What is the final ceremony, Amikwu, Uchendu's youngest son, has to perform before getting married?
4. Who is called the Crystal of Beauty in Mbanta, growing into a healthy, buoyant young woman?
5. Who is the missionary that replaces Mr. Brown in Umuofia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
2. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
3. How does the saying "You can never go home again" hold true for Okonkwo when he returns home after seven years in exile?
4. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
5. Uchendu gives a speech to the guests at Okonkwo's farewell feast, saying that it is good for kinsmen to come together. What did he fear for the young people of the clan?
6. Okonkwo's friend, Obierika pays a visit to Okonkwo after two years of exile. He brings new of the annihilation of the Abame clan. Do you believe the white man is justified in their attack of the Abame clan? Explain.
7. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
8. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
9. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
10. Okonkwo believes a man cannot rise above his chi, or destiny. Explain why you agree or disagree with Okonkwo's belief.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ekwefi gave birth to ten children. Nine of them died in infancy. The only survivor is Ezinma. The clan believes that Ekwefi's children are ogbanje.
1) Explain what an ogbanje is.
2) Describe what rituals the medicine man performs on ogbanje and why.
3) Explain why the medicine man asks Ezinma to show him where her iyi-uwa is buried and what does he do with it.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the character of Okonkwo.
2) How is he depicted by the author?
3) How is he revealed through his own words and actions, and through the observations of other characters?
Essay Topic 3
1) Explain Okonkwo's role in the clan when he returns to Umuofia after his seven year exile.
2) Describe his plan for himself and his sons upon his return and if it worked out.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)