|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that the Abame were fools and had been warned of danger, and that they should have brought guns and machetes with them to the market?
2. What does Okonkwo mourn when he returns to his clan?
3. What does Obierika bring for Okonkwo two years after Okonkwo had been exiled?
4. What does Nwoye do after his father, Okonkwo, beats him for being with the missionaries?
5. How many missionaries go to Mbanta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
2. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
3. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
4. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
5. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
6. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
7. Compare the personalities of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith. Which man do you think was better for the people of Umuofia?
8. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
9. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
10. When the missionaries come to Umuofia, they tell the people that their gods are not alive and have no effect on their lives. Do you think this is a good approach for the missionaries to take? Explain why.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the three rituals of a wedding engagement for the Ibo people: the bride price, the delivery of the palm-wine, and the confession. Give a detailed summary of each ceremony.
Essay Topic 2
The missionaries in Mbanta ask the rulers for a plot of land on which to build a church. The elders decide to give the missionaries a piece of land in the Evil Forest.
1) What is the significance of this decision?
2) What do the elders expect the outcome to be?
3) Relate what happened when the missionaries accepted the land.
4) What impact did final result have on the people of Mbanta?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the character of Okonkwo.
2) How is he depicted by the author?
3) How is he revealed through his own words and actions, and through the observations of other characters?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)