|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Obierika bring to Okonkwo and Uchendu about the Abame clan?
2. What is Okonkwo's popular nickname?
3. What does Okonkwo hope his sons will be initiated into when his family returns from exile?
4. What is the nickname of kotma, the court messengers who guard the prison which holds people who break the white man's law?
5. What is the other thing that the white man brought to Umuofia besides religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
2. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
3. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
4. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
5. What is Okonkwo's attitude after he is released from prison?
6. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
7. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
8. How does the saying "You can never go home again" hold true for Okonkwo when he returns home after seven years in exile?
9. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
10. When the missionaries come to Umuofia, they tell the people that their gods are not alive and have no effect on their lives. Do you think this is a good approach for the missionaries to take? Explain why.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Igbo culture, there are feminine and masculine crimes.
1) Describe the difference between feminine and masculine crimes.
2) Which is considered more severe by the people and why?
3) Which of the two crimes did Okonkwo commit and what was his punishment?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the role of women in the novel with the role of women in today's American society. Cite specific examples from the novel, detailing women's jobs and responsibilities.
Essay Topic 3
The missionaries in Mbanta ask the rulers for a plot of land on which to build a church. The elders decide to give the missionaries a piece of land in the Evil Forest.
1) What is the significance of this decision?
2) What do the elders expect the outcome to be?
3) Relate what happened when the missionaries accepted the land.
4) What impact did final result have on the people of Mbanta?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)