|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is called the Crystal of Beauty in Mbanta, growing into a healthy, buoyant young woman?
2. What does Uchendu, the younger brother of Okonkwo's mother, give to Okonkwo after he comes looking for refuge?
3. What is the final ceremony, Amikwu, Uchendu's youngest son, has to perform before getting married?
4. How many cowries do the court messengers ask the people for as payment to release their leaders?
5. What is the first thing Mr. Kiaga orders the outcasts to do if they want to remain in the new religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
2. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
3. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
4. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
5. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
6. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
7. What is Okonkwo's attitude after he is released from prison?
8. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
9. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
10. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Explain Okonkwo's role in the clan when he returns to Umuofia after his seven year exile.
2) Describe his plan for himself and his sons upon his return and if it worked out.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the traditional celebrations, The Week of Peace or The Feast of the New Yam. Describe what happens during the celebration. Who is involved in the celebration? How long does it last? What impact does it have on the people? What is required of the people during the celebration? What are the traditional food and dress required, and what is the punishment if someone should violate the celebration?
Essay Topic 3
1) What are some of the differences between the white man's religion and government and the way of life of the inhabitants of Umuofia?
2) What indications are there that the District Commissioner and Reverend Smith consider theirs a superior culture and try to impose it on the Igbo people?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)