|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Okonkwo vow to do after being released from the white man's prison?
2. What does Okonkwo send to Obierika as he enters his final year of exile?
3. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
4. What does Nwoye do after his father, Okonkwo, beats him for being with the missionaries?
5. Who is called the Crystal of Beauty in Mbanta, growing into a healthy, buoyant young woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Okonkwo believes a man cannot rise above his chi, or destiny. Explain why you agree or disagree with Okonkwo's belief.
2. Compare the personalities of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith. Which man do you think was better for the people of Umuofia?
3. What is Okonkwo's attitude after he is released from prison?
4. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
5. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
6. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
7. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
8. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
9. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
10. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Explain Okonkwo's role in the clan when he returns to Umuofia after his seven year exile.
2) Describe his plan for himself and his sons upon his return and if it worked out.
Essay Topic 2
While waiting for Ezinma to be released from the cave of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, she has a flashback.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her relationship with Okonkwo?
2) How does it compare with their present relationship?
Essay Topic 3
1) Give three examples from the novel when Okonkwo uses poor impulse control.
2) Summarize the clan's reaction to the events.
3) Analyze the consequences of Okonkwo's actions.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)