|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the children of the village prepared for the Feast of the New Yam?
2. How does Ekwefi make the medicine she hopes would cure Ezinma?
3. How can an observer tell if a communal ceremony is only for the men of the village?
4. Okonkwo of Umuofia is the emissary of war to Mbaino. What does Mbaino give him as an offering for the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
5. What does every man and his family do after the Week of Peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't the people want an even wrestling match, ending in a tie?
2. Is it evident that the tribal rituals of marriage are important for not only the wedding couple, but the entire village?
3. Who do you think benefits from the judgment of the egwuwu in the trial of Uzowulu and his wife and family and why?
4. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in being ashamed of his father? Explain why.
5. Evaluate Okonkwo's reputation in the nine villages of Umuofia.
6. Why do you think so many people in Umuofia gather with excitement to watch the wrestling matches?
7. Do you agree with the old man who said that Okonkwo's palm-kernels had been cracked for him by a benevolent spirit? Justify your answer.
8. Describe the Week of Peace celebrated in Umuofia . How does Okonkwo violate this sacred peace and what are the consequences?
9. Do you agree with Okonkwo when he gives the fatal blow to Ikemefuna with his machete?
10. Okonkwo's father dies in debt, with no titles to his name. Relate why Okonkwo does not have to worry that his father's reputation will be held against him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write three paragraphs relating the events that led up to Okonkwo's demise for the District Commissioner's book: The Pacification of the Primitive Tribes of the Lower Niger.
Essay Topic 2
While waiting for Ezinma to be released from the cave of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, she has a flashback.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her relationship with Okonkwo?
2) How does it compare with their present relationship?
Essay Topic 3
In the Igbo culture, there are feminine and masculine crimes.
1) Describe the difference between feminine and masculine crimes.
2) Which is considered more severe by the people and why?
3) Which of the two crimes did Okonkwo commit and what was his punishment?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)