|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the priestess of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, in real life?
2. How does eighteen-year-old, Okonkwo, bring honor to his village?
3. How can an observer tell if a communal ceremony is only for the men of the village?
4. What does Okonkwo bring back from the bush while Ezinma lays sick in Ekwefi's hut?
5. What is a man who holds the ozo title forbidden to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people of Umuofia justify mutilating the bodies of children who die in infancy or early childhood, refusing to bury them but leaving them in the forest?
2. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
3. Predict what might happen later in the book from the conversation of Obierika, Machi, and Okonkwo when they talk about "what is good in one place is bad in another . . ." and that the polite name for leprosy is "white skin".
4. Evaluate Okonkwo's frame of mind after the destruction of the yam crop.
5. Describe why Okonkwo is considered a wealthy man by Umuofia's standards.
6. When the missionaries come to Umuofia, they tell the people that their gods are not alive and have no effect on their lives. Do you think this is a good approach for the missionaries to take? Explain why.
7. Compare the personalities of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith. Which man do you think was better for the people of Umuofia?
8. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
9. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in reaction when he thinks his second wife, Ekwefi, killed a banana tree during the New Yam Festival? Explain.
10. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Okonkwo's suicide at the end of the novel.
2) Did he have any other alternatives?
3) Do you think this act made him more or less of a hero to his people? Why?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith.
2) Summarize the impact each character had on the native culture.
3) In your opinion, which character is the most effective? Defend your stance.
Essay Topic 3
Ekwefi gave birth to ten children. Nine of them died in infancy. The only survivor is Ezinma. The clan believes that Ekwefi's children are ogbanje.
1) Explain what an ogbanje is.
2) Describe what rituals the medicine man performs on ogbanje and why.
3) Explain why the medicine man asks Ezinma to show him where her iyi-uwa is buried and what does he do with it.
This section contains 1,928 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)