|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only way a young man can build a barn of his own if his father has no yams?
2. What is the significance of the beating of drums in the village playground, the ilo, where all the great ceremonies and dances of the village take place?
3. Nwoye's mother calls Ezinma "Ezigbo" when she brings the fire to Nwoye's mother's hut. What does "Ezigbo" mean?
4. During the rainy season, how do the people of the village pass the time?
5. After speaking with the elders of nine villages, what does Okonkwo tell Ikemefuna about what is going to happen to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In your opinion, what is the biggest factor that makes Ikemefuna accept the fact that he is not returning to his homeland?
2. Explain why Okoye, Unoka's friend, is considered a successful man.
3. Evaluate Okonkwo's reputation in the nine villages of Umuofia.
4. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in being ashamed of his father? Explain why.
5. How do the people of Umuofia justify mutilating the bodies of children who die in infancy or early childhood, refusing to bury them but leaving them in the forest?
6. Explain what role the egwuwu, the ancestral spirits of the clan, has in the public trials of the nine villages of the clan.
7. Explain how Ikemefuna is a good friend to Obiageli on the day of the New Yam Festival.
8. Describe why Okonkwo is considered a wealthy man by Umuofia's standards.
9. Summarize how the people pass the time during the rainy season.
10. Why don't the people want an even wrestling match, ending in a tie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize the economic system of the Igbo people before the white man's appearance.
2) How was wealth determined?
3) Describe how a man could attain wealth if nothing was left to him by his father.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith.
2) Summarize the impact each character had on the native culture.
3) In your opinion, which character is the most effective? Defend your stance.
Essay Topic 3
1) Give three examples from the novel when Okonkwo uses poor impulse control.
2) Summarize the clan's reaction to the events.
3) Analyze the consequences of Okonkwo's actions.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)