|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Okonkwo act for two days after Ikemefuna's death?
2. Why is Okonkwo considered one of the greatest men of his time?
3. Why does Okoye need to collect a past debt from Unkona?
4. After speaking with the elders of nine villages, what does Okonkwo tell Ikemefuna about what is going to happen to him?
5. Which of the spectators of the wrestling match are allowed to sit around the huge circle of the wrestling ring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in reaction when he thinks his second wife, Ekwefi, killed a banana tree during the New Yam Festival? Explain.
2. Explain how Okonkwo's stern attitude changes when he is awakened in the night because Ezinma is sick.
3. Describe how Okonkwo goes against his nature when he goes to find Ikwefi at the sacred cave.
4. How do the people of Umuofia justify mutilating the bodies of children who die in infancy or early childhood, refusing to bury them but leaving them in the forest?
5. Explain how Ekwefi defies the traditions of the clan when Chielo takes Ezinma to Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
6. Explain why sharecropping is a very difficult way to get ahead for Okonkwo, and how it impacts his parents and sisters.
7. Predict what might happen later in the book from the conversation of Obierika, Machi, and Okonkwo when they talk about "what is good in one place is bad in another . . ." and that the polite name for leprosy is "white skin".
8. Describe why Okonkwo is considered a wealthy man by Umuofia's standards.
9. Compare the stories of men to the stories of women in Umuofia.
10. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in being ashamed of his father? Explain why.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Nwoye's struggles with coming of age.
2) Would you say that his fears and emotions were a blessing or a curse?
3) Do you defend or criticize his conversion to the white man's religion? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the three rituals of a wedding engagement for the Ibo people: the bride price, the delivery of the palm-wine, and the confession. Give a detailed summary of each ceremony.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the traditional celebrations, The Week of Peace or The Feast of the New Yam. Describe what happens during the celebration. Who is involved in the celebration? How long does it last? What impact does it have on the people? What is required of the people during the celebration? What are the traditional food and dress required, and what is the punishment if someone should violate the celebration?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)