|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Ikemenfuna in Okonkwo's care?
2. What happens to twins born in Umuofia?
3. What is the agreed upon bride-price for Akueke?
4. Okonkwo and the men of Umuofia take Ikemefuna deep into the forest and kill him with machetes. Who gives the final thrust of the machete that ends Ikemefuna's life?
5. How does Okonkwo act for two days after Ikemefuna's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the stories of men to the stories of women in Umuofia.
2. Determine the point of view of Mbaino with regard to settling the dispute with Umuofia over the murder of Ezeugo.
3. Is it evident that the tribal rituals of marriage are important for not only the wedding couple, but the entire village?
4. Evaluate Okonkwo's frame of mind after the destruction of the yam crop.
5. Why don't the people want an even wrestling match, ending in a tie?
6. What is the tradition the in-laws must do for the uri?
7. Explain how Okonkwo's stern attitude changes when he is awakened in the night because Ezinma is sick.
8. Okonkwo's father dies in debt, with no titles to his name. Relate why Okonkwo does not have to worry that his father's reputation will be held against him.
9. Do you agree with the old man who said that Okonkwo's palm-kernels had been cracked for him by a benevolent spirit? Justify your answer.
10. Explain why Okoye, Unoka's friend, is considered a successful man.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Okonkwo's suicide at the end of the novel.
2) Did he have any other alternatives?
3) Do you think this act made him more or less of a hero to his people? Why?
Essay Topic 2
1) Explain Okonkwo's role in the clan when he returns to Umuofia after his seven year exile.
2) Describe his plan for himself and his sons upon his return and if it worked out.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith.
2) Summarize the impact each character had on the native culture.
3) In your opinion, which character is the most effective? Defend your stance.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)