|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of the beating of drums in the village playground, the ilo, where all the great ceremonies and dances of the village take place?
2. Which of the spectators of the wrestling match are allowed to sit around the huge circle of the wrestling ring?
3. What descends on the land of Okonkwo, darkens the sky, settles on the rooftops, and breaks mighty tree branches under them?
4. As the drums sound and the flutes blast, what appears out of the egwugwu house?
5. How does Okonkwo act for two days after Ikemefuna's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't the people want an even wrestling match, ending in a tie?
2. Summarize the role of the women during the New Yam Festival.
3. Explain how Okonkwo's stern attitude changes when he is awakened in the night because Ezinma is sick.
4. Compare the stories of men to the stories of women in Umuofia.
5. Determine the point of view of Mbaino with regard to settling the dispute with Umuofia over the murder of Ezeugo.
6. Summarize how the people pass the time during the rainy season.
7. Explain why sharecropping is a very difficult way to get ahead for Okonkwo, and how it impacts his parents and sisters.
8. Explain how Ekwefi defies the traditions of the clan when Chielo takes Ezinma to Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
9. Describe how Okonkwo goes against his nature when he goes to find Ikwefi at the sacred cave.
10. Describe how Okonkwo continues to worry about his son Nwoye, especially after the death of Ikemefuna.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The missionaries in Mbanta ask the rulers for a plot of land on which to build a church. The elders decide to give the missionaries a piece of land in the Evil Forest.
1) What is the significance of this decision?
2) What do the elders expect the outcome to be?
3) Relate what happened when the missionaries accepted the land.
4) What impact did final result have on the people of Mbanta?
Essay Topic 2
1) Give three examples from the novel when Okonkwo uses poor impulse control.
2) Summarize the clan's reaction to the events.
3) Analyze the consequences of Okonkwo's actions.
Essay Topic 3
Ekwefi gave birth to ten children. Nine of them died in infancy. The only survivor is Ezinma. The clan believes that Ekwefi's children are ogbanje.
1) Explain what an ogbanje is.
2) Describe what rituals the medicine man performs on ogbanje and why.
3) Explain why the medicine man asks Ezinma to show him where her iyi-uwa is buried and what does he do with it.
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)