|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Okonkwo was a boy, his father, Unoka, consults Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills, about why his crops always fail.. What reply did the Oracle give?
2. Who is Okonkwo's father?
3. During the rainy season, how do the people of the village pass the time?
4. Why does Okonkwo worry about his son, Nwoye?
5. What is the first trial's dispute set before Evil Forest and the egwugwu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Week of Peace celebrated in Umuofia . How does Okonkwo violate this sacred peace and what are the consequences?
2. Evaluate Okonkwo's frame of mind after the destruction of the yam crop.
3. Okonkwo's father dies in debt, with no titles to his name. Relate why Okonkwo does not have to worry that his father's reputation will be held against him.
4. How would you justify Okonkwo's harsh treatment of his family and his uncontrollable temper?
5. Compare the differences in the attitudes of the people of Umuofia with regard to a dark night and a moonlit night.
6. Do you agree with the old man who said that Okonkwo's palm-kernels had been cracked for him by a benevolent spirit? Justify your answer.
7. Predict what might happen later in the book from the conversation of Obierika, Machi, and Okonkwo when they talk about "what is good in one place is bad in another . . ." and that the polite name for leprosy is "white skin".
8. Explain why sharecropping is a very difficult way to get ahead for Okonkwo, and how it impacts his parents and sisters.
9. Why do you think so many people in Umuofia gather with excitement to watch the wrestling matches?
10. Explain what role the egwuwu, the ancestral spirits of the clan, has in the public trials of the nine villages of the clan.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast two characters from the novel.
2) What are their physical descriptions, their personalities, feelings, and speech and behavior?
3) Are they believable characters, and how do other characters feel about them?
4) How do they relate to one another?
Essay Topic 2
Ekwefi gave birth to ten children. Nine of them died in infancy. The only survivor is Ezinma. The clan believes that Ekwefi's children are ogbanje.
1) Explain what an ogbanje is.
2) Describe what rituals the medicine man performs on ogbanje and why.
3) Explain why the medicine man asks Ezinma to show him where her iyi-uwa is buried and what does he do with it.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith.
2) Summarize the impact each character had on the native culture.
3) In your opinion, which character is the most effective? Defend your stance.
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)