|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After speaking with the elders of nine villages, what does Okonkwo tell Ikemefuna about what is going to happen to him?
2. Where does Obierika send one of his relatives to get a fat goat to give to his in-laws during the uri?
3. The first day of the new year is celebrated with feasting and fellowship. What takes place on the second day of the new year?
4. One night, the storytelling of Okonkwo 's wives and children stops because the priestess, Chielo is shouting in a high-pitched voice. What does she tell Okonkwo?
5. Okonkwo and the men of Umuofia take Ikemefuna deep into the forest and kill him with machetes. Who gives the final thrust of the machete that ends Ikemefuna's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Uchendu gives a speech to the guests at Okonkwo's farewell feast, saying that it is good for kinsmen to come together. What did he fear for the young people of the clan?
2. What is Okonkwo's attitude after he is released from prison?
3. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
4. Analyze Okonkwo's feelings for Enzinma and Ekwefi, and how they relate to his fear of weakness.
5. Explain why sharecropping is a very difficult way to get ahead for Okonkwo, and how it impacts his parents and sisters.
6. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
7. Do you agree with the old man who said that Okonkwo's palm-kernels had been cracked for him by a benevolent spirit? Justify your answer.
8. Predict what might happen later in the book from the conversation of Obierika, Machi, and Okonkwo when they talk about "what is good in one place is bad in another . . ." and that the polite name for leprosy is "white skin".
9. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
10. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast two characters from the novel.
2) What are their physical descriptions, their personalities, feelings, and speech and behavior?
3) Are they believable characters, and how do other characters feel about them?
4) How do they relate to one another?
Essay Topic 2
Ekwefi gave birth to ten children. Nine of them died in infancy. The only survivor is Ezinma. The clan believes that Ekwefi's children are ogbanje.
1) Explain what an ogbanje is.
2) Describe what rituals the medicine man performs on ogbanje and why.
3) Explain why the medicine man asks Ezinma to show him where her iyi-uwa is buried and what does he do with it.
Essay Topic 3
1) Give three examples from the novel when Okonkwo uses poor impulse control.
2) Summarize the clan's reaction to the events.
3) Analyze the consequences of Okonkwo's actions.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)