|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Ikemenfuna in Okonkwo's care?
2. Okonkwo of Umuofia is the emissary of war to Mbaino. What does Mbaino give him as an offering for the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
3. The first day of the new year is celebrated with feasting and fellowship. What takes place on the second day of the new year?
4. Where does Obierika send one of his relatives to get a fat goat to give to his in-laws during the uri?
5. Why do men and women look forward to the Feast of the New Yam?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people of Umuofia justify mutilating the bodies of children who die in infancy or early childhood, refusing to bury them but leaving them in the forest?
2. How would you justify Okonkwo's harsh treatment of his family and his uncontrollable temper?
3. Explain why Okoye, Unoka's friend, is considered a successful man.
4. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in being ashamed of his father? Explain why.
5. Do you agree with the old man who said that Okonkwo's palm-kernels had been cracked for him by a benevolent spirit? Justify your answer.
6. Compare the stories of men to the stories of women in Umuofia.
7. Explain how Okonkwo's stern attitude changes when he is awakened in the night because Ezinma is sick.
8. Summarize the role of the women during the New Yam Festival.
9. Analyze Okonkwo's feelings for Enzinma and Ekwefi, and how they relate to his fear of weakness.
10. Explain what role the egwuwu, the ancestral spirits of the clan, has in the public trials of the nine villages of the clan.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Nwoye's struggles with coming of age.
2) Would you say that his fears and emotions were a blessing or a curse?
3) Do you defend or criticize his conversion to the white man's religion? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
1) What are some of the differences between the white man's religion and government and the way of life of the inhabitants of Umuofia?
2) What indications are there that the District Commissioner and Reverend Smith consider theirs a superior culture and try to impose it on the Igbo people?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the evidence presented to the egwugwu in the case of Mgbafo and Uzowlulu. Do you think the testimony given by each side is convincing? Defend or criticize the verdict of the egwugwu.
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)