|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Unkona's neighbor, Okoye, visit him?
2. What are the traditional events when night falls and it is time to end Obierika's daughter's uri?
3. What is the first trial's dispute set before Evil Forest and the egwugwu?
4. What drives Okonkwo into a rage on the first day of the festival, leading him to beat his second wife, Ekwefi, and almost kill her with a gun?
5. Ezinma tells her mother, Ekwefi, that her upper eyelid is twitching. What does Ekwefi tell Ezinma the significance of the twitch is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Determine the point of view of Mbaino with regard to settling the dispute with Umuofia over the murder of Ezeugo.
2. Is it evident that the tribal rituals of marriage are important for not only the wedding couple, but the entire village?
3. Okonkwo's father dies in debt, with no titles to his name. Relate why Okonkwo does not have to worry that his father's reputation will be held against him.
4. Okonkwo's friend, Obierika pays a visit to Okonkwo after two years of exile. He brings new of the annihilation of the Abame clan. Do you believe the white man is justified in their attack of the Abame clan? Explain.
5. Summarize the role of the women during the New Yam Festival.
6. What is the tradition the in-laws must do for the uri?
7. Explain how Okonkwo's stern attitude changes when he is awakened in the night because Ezinma is sick.
8. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
9. Do you agree with Okonkwo when he gives the fatal blow to Ikemefuna with his machete?
10. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
Essay Topic 1
Ekwefi gave birth to ten children. Nine of them died in infancy. The only survivor is Ezinma. The clan believes that Ekwefi's children are ogbanje.
1) Explain what an ogbanje is.
2) Describe what rituals the medicine man performs on ogbanje and why.
3) Explain why the medicine man asks Ezinma to show him where her iyi-uwa is buried and what does he do with it.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith.
2) Summarize the impact each character had on the native culture.
3) In your opinion, which character is the most effective? Defend your stance.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the traditional celebrations, The Week of Peace or The Feast of the New Yam. Describe what happens during the celebration. Who is involved in the celebration? How long does it last? What impact does it have on the people? What is required of the people during the celebration? What are the traditional food and dress required, and what is the punishment if someone should violate the celebration?
This section contains 1,377 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)