|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the rainy season, how do the people of the village pass the time?
2. What does the law state in Umuofia if a woman runs away from her husband?
3. What does Okagbue, the medicine man, dig up from under the orange tree that makes the people of the village believe that Ezinma will live to adulthood?
4. After speaking with the elders of nine villages, what does Okonkwo tell Ikemefuna about what is going to happen to him?
5. What is a man who holds the ozo title forbidden to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think so many people in Umuofia gather with excitement to watch the wrestling matches?
2. Evaluate Okonkwo's frame of mind after the destruction of the yam crop.
3. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
4. Okonkwo's father dies in debt, with no titles to his name. Relate why Okonkwo does not have to worry that his father's reputation will be held against him.
5. Describe the weather patterns the year Okonkwo promises to farm the eight hundred yam seeds from Nwakibie, and how they affect the yams.
6. Who do you think benefits from the judgment of the egwuwu in the trial of Uzowulu and his wife and family and why?
7. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
8. Explain why Okoye, Unoka's friend, is considered a successful man.
9. Okonkwo believes a man cannot rise above his chi, or destiny. Explain why you agree or disagree with Okonkwo's belief.
10. Evaluate Okonkwo's reputation in the nine villages of Umuofia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Enoch, the court messenger, is the cause of one of the biggest conflicts between the white man and the clan members. Describe the consequences of his offense and how it leads to further tragedy in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The missionaries in Mbanta ask the rulers for a plot of land on which to build a church. The elders decide to give the missionaries a piece of land in the Evil Forest.
1) What is the significance of this decision?
2) What do the elders expect the outcome to be?
3) Relate what happened when the missionaries accepted the land.
4) What impact did final result have on the people of Mbanta?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail the three rituals of a wedding engagement for the Ibo people: the bride price, the delivery of the palm-wine, and the confession. Give a detailed summary of each ceremony.
This section contains 1,956 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)