Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Ibo people consider conversation to be very important. What form of conversation do they regard the most highly?
2. The punishment for breaking the sacred peace changes through the years. What happened to a man that broke the Week of Peace in the past?
3. What is the name of the boy who wins the wrestling match in the fifteen- to sixteen-year-old age group with a lightning fast move that was never seen before?
4. Who appears in front of Ekwefi as she waits tearfully outside Agbala's cave?
5. What ultimatum is dispatched to Mbaino as a consequence of the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
2. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
3. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
4. Describe how Okonkwo goes against his nature when he goes to find Ikwefi at the sacred cave.
5. Relate how Okonkwo is able to plant his first yam-seeds when his father gives him nothing.
6. Explain how Ekwefi defies the traditions of the clan when Chielo takes Ezinma to Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
7. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
8. Evaluate Okonkwo's frame of mind after the destruction of the yam crop.
9. Describe how Okonkwo continues to worry about his son Nwoye, especially after the death of Ikemefuna.
10. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
1) Analyze Nwoye's struggles with coming of age.
2) Would you say that his fears and emotions were a blessing or a curse?
3) Do you defend or criticize his conversion to the white man's religion? Why do you feel this way?
1) Compare and contrast two characters from the novel.
2) What are their physical descriptions, their personalities, feelings, and speech and behavior?
3) Are they believable characters, and how do other characters feel about them?
4) How do they relate to one another?
While waiting for Ezinma to be released from the cave of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, she has a flashback.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her relationship with Okonkwo?
2) How does it compare with their present relationship?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)