|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One night, the storytelling of Okonkwo 's wives and children stops because the priestess, Chielo is shouting in a high-pitched voice. What does she tell Okonkwo?
2. Obiageli, Nwoye's sister, comes home crying because her water pot is broken. How did her waterpot break?
3. How many men are in each of the two teams of wrestlers who face each other in the wrestling ring?
4. Who appears in front of Ekwefi as she waits tearfully outside Agbala's cave?
5. Who is the first man Okonkwo works for as a share-cropper ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Okonkwo goes against his nature when he goes to find Ikwefi at the sacred cave.
2. Do you agree with Okonkwo when he gives the fatal blow to Ikemefuna with his machete?
3. Do you agree with the old man who said that Okonkwo's palm-kernels had been cracked for him by a benevolent spirit? Justify your answer.
4. How would you justify Okonkwo's harsh treatment of his family and his uncontrollable temper?
5. Determine the point of view of Mbaino with regard to settling the dispute with Umuofia over the murder of Ezeugo.
6. Why do you think so many people in Umuofia gather with excitement to watch the wrestling matches?
7. Summarize how the people pass the time during the rainy season.
8. Evaluate Okonkwo's frame of mind after the destruction of the yam crop.
9. Describe the Week of Peace celebrated in Umuofia . How does Okonkwo violate this sacred peace and what are the consequences?
10. Explain why Okoye, Unoka's friend, is considered a successful man.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Give three examples from the novel when Okonkwo uses poor impulse control.
2) Summarize the clan's reaction to the events.
3) Analyze the consequences of Okonkwo's actions.
Essay Topic 2
1) Throughout the novel, Okonkwo is afraid of being like his father. Describe the accomplishments Okonkwo achieves in his lifetime that makes him different from his father.
2) Explain why Okonkwo's final act turns his reputation into everything he feared in life.
Essay Topic 3
1) What are some of the differences between the white man's religion and government and the way of life of the inhabitants of Umuofia?
2) What indications are there that the District Commissioner and Reverend Smith consider theirs a superior culture and try to impose it on the Igbo people?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)