|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Ekwefi and Okonkwo wait outside of Agbala's cave for Ezinma's return, what does Ekwefi think about?
2. What does the law state in Umuofia if a woman runs away from her husband?
3. How long is Ikemenfuna in Okonkwo's care?
4. Obiageli, Nwoye's sister, comes home crying because her water pot is broken. How did her waterpot break?
5. Okonkwo and the men of Umuofia take Ikemefuna deep into the forest and kill him with machetes. Who gives the final thrust of the machete that ends Ikemefuna's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Okonkwo continues to worry about his son Nwoye, especially after the death of Ikemefuna.
2. Who do you think benefits from the judgment of the egwuwu in the trial of Uzowulu and his wife and family and why?
3. What is the tradition the in-laws must do for the uri?
4. How would you justify Okonkwo's harsh treatment of his family and his uncontrollable temper?
5. Explain how Okonkwo's stern attitude changes when he is awakened in the night because Ezinma is sick.
6. Compare the differences in the attitudes of the people of Umuofia with regard to a dark night and a moonlit night.
7. Explain why sharecropping is a very difficult way to get ahead for Okonkwo, and how it impacts his parents and sisters.
8. Analyze Okonkwo's feelings for Enzinma and Ekwefi, and how they relate to his fear of weakness.
9. Relate how Okonkwo is able to plant his first yam-seeds when his father gives him nothing.
10. Okonkwo's father dies in debt, with no titles to his name. Relate why Okonkwo does not have to worry that his father's reputation will be held against him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the character of Okonkwo.
2) How is he depicted by the author?
3) How is he revealed through his own words and actions, and through the observations of other characters?
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize the economic system of the Igbo people before the white man's appearance.
2) How was wealth determined?
3) Describe how a man could attain wealth if nothing was left to him by his father.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Okonkwo's suicide at the end of the novel.
2) Did he have any other alternatives?
3) Do you think this act made him more or less of a hero to his people? Why?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)