|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the festival that gives thanks to Ani, the earth goddess and source of fertility?
2. What is the name all children of the clan except Ezinma call their mothers?
3. Why is Okonkwo considered one of the greatest men of his time?
4. What descends on the land of Okonkwo, darkens the sky, settles on the rooftops, and breaks mighty tree branches under them?
5. What are the traditional events when night falls and it is time to end Obierika's daughter's uri?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree with the old man who said that Okonkwo's palm-kernels had been cracked for him by a benevolent spirit? Justify your answer.
2. Explain why Okoye, Unoka's friend, is considered a successful man.
3. Why do you think so many people in Umuofia gather with excitement to watch the wrestling matches?
4. Summarize how the people pass the time during the rainy season.
5. Predict what might happen later in the book from the conversation of Obierika, Machi, and Okonkwo when they talk about "what is good in one place is bad in another . . ." and that the polite name for leprosy is "white skin".
6. Describe the Week of Peace celebrated in Umuofia . How does Okonkwo violate this sacred peace and what are the consequences?
7. Is it evident that the tribal rituals of marriage are important for not only the wedding couple, but the entire village?
8. Who do you think benefits from the judgment of the egwuwu in the trial of Uzowulu and his wife and family and why?
9. How do the people of Umuofia justify mutilating the bodies of children who die in infancy or early childhood, refusing to bury them but leaving them in the forest?
10. Evaluate Okonkwo's reputation in the nine villages of Umuofia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ekwefi gave birth to ten children. Nine of them died in infancy. The only survivor is Ezinma. The clan believes that Ekwefi's children are ogbanje.
1) Explain what an ogbanje is.
2) Describe what rituals the medicine man performs on ogbanje and why.
3) Explain why the medicine man asks Ezinma to show him where her iyi-uwa is buried and what does he do with it.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the traditional celebrations, The Week of Peace or The Feast of the New Yam. Describe what happens during the celebration. Who is involved in the celebration? How long does it last? What impact does it have on the people? What is required of the people during the celebration? What are the traditional food and dress required, and what is the punishment if someone should violate the celebration?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the character of Okonkwo.
2) How is he depicted by the author?
3) How is he revealed through his own words and actions, and through the observations of other characters?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)