|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the law state in Umuofia if a woman runs away from her husband?
2. As the drums sound and the flutes blast, what appears out of the egwugwu house?
3. How does Unoka react when Okoye asks him to repay the two hundred cowries owed to him?
4. Under what circumstances will the people of Umuofia consult Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves?
5. The Ibo people consider conversation to be very important. What form of conversation do they regard the most highly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Okonkwo's stern attitude changes when he is awakened in the night because Ezinma is sick.
2. Compare the differences in the attitudes of the people of Umuofia with regard to a dark night and a moonlit night.
3. Evaluate Okonkwo's reputation in the nine villages of Umuofia.
4. Describe how Okonkwo continues to worry about his son Nwoye, especially after the death of Ikemefuna.
5. Compare the stories of men to the stories of women in Umuofia.
6. Explain how Ikemefuna is a good friend to Obiageli on the day of the New Yam Festival.
7. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in reaction when he thinks his second wife, Ekwefi, killed a banana tree during the New Yam Festival? Explain.
8. Describe how Okonkwo goes against his nature when he goes to find Ikwefi at the sacred cave.
9. Explain why Okoye, Unoka's friend, is considered a successful man.
10. Predict what might happen later in the book from the conversation of Obierika, Machi, and Okonkwo when they talk about "what is good in one place is bad in another . . ." and that the polite name for leprosy is "white skin".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Okonkwo's suicide at the end of the novel.
2) Did he have any other alternatives?
3) Do you think this act made him more or less of a hero to his people? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Write three paragraphs relating the events that led up to Okonkwo's demise for the District Commissioner's book: The Pacification of the Primitive Tribes of the Lower Niger.
Essay Topic 3
The missionaries in Mbanta ask the rulers for a plot of land on which to build a church. The elders decide to give the missionaries a piece of land in the Evil Forest.
1) What is the significance of this decision?
2) What do the elders expect the outcome to be?
3) Relate what happened when the missionaries accepted the land.
4) What impact did final result have on the people of Mbanta?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)