|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the priestess of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, in real life?
2. Why does Okonkwo worry about his son, Nwoye?
3. Where does Chielo bring Ezinma?
4. Why do all the women abandon preparing the food for the uri and rush off to the Obierika's crop field?
5. Who is the powerful orator that informs the ten thousand men of the emergency facing the nine villages of Umuofia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the stories of men to the stories of women in Umuofia.
2. Okonkwo's father dies in debt, with no titles to his name. Relate why Okonkwo does not have to worry that his father's reputation will be held against him.
3. Do you agree with Okonkwo when he gives the fatal blow to Ikemefuna with his machete?
4. Why do you think so many people in Umuofia gather with excitement to watch the wrestling matches?
5. Explain what role the egwuwu, the ancestral spirits of the clan, has in the public trials of the nine villages of the clan.
6. Is it evident that the tribal rituals of marriage are important for not only the wedding couple, but the entire village?
7. Predict what might happen later in the book from the conversation of Obierika, Machi, and Okonkwo when they talk about "what is good in one place is bad in another . . ." and that the polite name for leprosy is "white skin".
8. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in reaction when he thinks his second wife, Ekwefi, killed a banana tree during the New Yam Festival? Explain.
9. Describe how Okonkwo continues to worry about his son Nwoye, especially after the death of Ikemefuna.
10. Explain why Okoye, Unoka's friend, is considered a successful man.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What are some of the differences between the white man's religion and government and the way of life of the inhabitants of Umuofia?
2) What indications are there that the District Commissioner and Reverend Smith consider theirs a superior culture and try to impose it on the Igbo people?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the role of women in the novel with the role of women in today's American society. Cite specific examples from the novel, detailing women's jobs and responsibilities.
Essay Topic 3
1) Give three examples from the novel when Okonkwo uses poor impulse control.
2) Summarize the clan's reaction to the events.
3) Analyze the consequences of Okonkwo's actions.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)