|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Okonkwo bring with him to share with the wealthy Nwakibie and his family before asking for yam seeds and share cropping privileges?
2. What happens to twins born in Umuofia?
3. What are the traditional events when night falls and it is time to end Obierika's daughter's uri?
4. Okonkwo is sitting in his obi with Ikemefuna and Nwoye, eating dried locusts when Ogbuefi Ezeudu comes with a message. What is the message?
5. What is Okonkwo's punishment for committing a "nso-ani" during the Week of Peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Okonkwo continues to worry about his son Nwoye, especially after the death of Ikemefuna.
2. Explain how Okonkwo's stern attitude changes when he is awakened in the night because Ezinma is sick.
3. Why don't the people want an even wrestling match, ending in a tie?
4. Describe the Week of Peace celebrated in Umuofia . How does Okonkwo violate this sacred peace and what are the consequences?
5. Explain how Ekwefi defies the traditions of the clan when Chielo takes Ezinma to Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
6. Summarize how the people pass the time during the rainy season.
7. Compare the stories of men to the stories of women in Umuofia.
8. Explain what role the egwuwu, the ancestral spirits of the clan, has in the public trials of the nine villages of the clan.
9. Describe why Okonkwo is considered a wealthy man by Umuofia's standards.
10. Explain why sharecropping is a very difficult way to get ahead for Okonkwo, and how it impacts his parents and sisters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ekwefi gave birth to ten children. Nine of them died in infancy. The only survivor is Ezinma. The clan believes that Ekwefi's children are ogbanje.
1) Explain what an ogbanje is.
2) Describe what rituals the medicine man performs on ogbanje and why.
3) Explain why the medicine man asks Ezinma to show him where her iyi-uwa is buried and what does he do with it.
Essay Topic 2
1) What are some of the differences between the white man's religion and government and the way of life of the inhabitants of Umuofia?
2) What indications are there that the District Commissioner and Reverend Smith consider theirs a superior culture and try to impose it on the Igbo people?
Essay Topic 3
While waiting for Ezinma to be released from the cave of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, she has a flashback.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her relationship with Okonkwo?
2) How does it compare with their present relationship?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)