|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first trial's dispute set before Evil Forest and the egwugwu?
2. Okonkwo of Umuofia is the emissary of war to Mbaino. What does Mbaino give him as an offering for the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
3. What is the name all children of the clan except Ezinma call their mothers?
4. While talking with Okoye about the war, Unkona changes the subject to which topic?
5. Why does Unkona change the subject to music when he and Oybe are discussing the impending war with the village of Mbaino?
Short Essay Questions
1. Evaluate Okonkwo's reputation in the nine villages of Umuofia.
2. Okonkwo's father dies in debt, with no titles to his name. Relate why Okonkwo does not have to worry that his father's reputation will be held against him.
3. Evaluate Okonkwo's frame of mind after the destruction of the yam crop.
4. Explain why sharecropping is a very difficult way to get ahead for Okonkwo, and how it impacts his parents and sisters.
5. Determine the point of view of Mbaino with regard to settling the dispute with Umuofia over the murder of Ezeugo.
6. Summarize how the people pass the time during the rainy season.
7. Predict what might happen later in the book from the conversation of Obierika, Machi, and Okonkwo when they talk about "what is good in one place is bad in another . . ." and that the polite name for leprosy is "white skin".
8. What is the tradition the in-laws must do for the uri?
9. Explain how Okonkwo's stern attitude changes when he is awakened in the night because Ezinma is sick.
10. Describe the weather patterns the year Okonkwo promises to farm the eight hundred yam seeds from Nwakibie, and how they affect the yams.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While waiting for Ezinma to be released from the cave of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, she has a flashback.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her relationship with Okonkwo?
2) How does it compare with their present relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Write three paragraphs relating the events that led up to Okonkwo's demise for the District Commissioner's book: The Pacification of the Primitive Tribes of the Lower Niger.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith.
2) Summarize the impact each character had on the native culture.
3) In your opinion, which character is the most effective? Defend your stance.
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)