|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the festival that gives thanks to Ani, the earth goddess and source of fertility?
2. What does Ekwefi do after Chielo carries Ezinma away on her back?
3. While talking with Okoye about the war, Unkona changes the subject to which topic?
4. What does Okagbue, the medicine man, dig up from under the orange tree that makes the people of the village believe that Ezinma will live to adulthood?
5. How can an observer tell if a communal ceremony is only for the men of the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why Okonkwo is considered a wealthy man by Umuofia's standards.
2. Do you agree with the old man who said that Okonkwo's palm-kernels had been cracked for him by a benevolent spirit? Justify your answer.
3. Explain what role the egwuwu, the ancestral spirits of the clan, has in the public trials of the nine villages of the clan.
4. How would you justify Okonkwo's harsh treatment of his family and his uncontrollable temper?
5. Summarize how the people pass the time during the rainy season.
6. Explain how Ekwefi defies the traditions of the clan when Chielo takes Ezinma to Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
7. Why don't the people want an even wrestling match, ending in a tie?
8. Okonkwo's father dies in debt, with no titles to his name. Relate why Okonkwo does not have to worry that his father's reputation will be held against him.
9. Is it evident that the tribal rituals of marriage are important for not only the wedding couple, but the entire village?
10. Explain how Okonkwo's stern attitude changes when he is awakened in the night because Ezinma is sick.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Igbo culture, there are feminine and masculine crimes.
1) Describe the difference between feminine and masculine crimes.
2) Which is considered more severe by the people and why?
3) Which of the two crimes did Okonkwo commit and what was his punishment?
Essay Topic 2
The missionaries in Mbanta ask the rulers for a plot of land on which to build a church. The elders decide to give the missionaries a piece of land in the Evil Forest.
1) What is the significance of this decision?
2) What do the elders expect the outcome to be?
3) Relate what happened when the missionaries accepted the land.
4) What impact did final result have on the people of Mbanta?
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize the economic system of the Igbo people before the white man's appearance.
2) How was wealth determined?
3) Describe how a man could attain wealth if nothing was left to him by his father.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)