|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nine out of ten of Ekwefi's children die in infancy. After the second death, Okonkwo goes to the medicine man to find out why this is happening. What explanation does the diviner give?
2. Why does Okonkwo worry about his son, Nwoye?
3. Obierika's daughter, Akueke, is sixteen, just the right age for marrying. How does her suitor and his relatives determine if she is ripe for marriage?
4. What is the custom in the village of Obodoani if a man dies during the Week of Peace?
5. What drives Okonkwo into a rage on the first day of the festival, leading him to beat his second wife, Ekwefi, and almost kill her with a gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think so many people in Umuofia gather with excitement to watch the wrestling matches?
2. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in being ashamed of his father? Explain why.
3. Explain why sharecropping is a very difficult way to get ahead for Okonkwo, and how it impacts his parents and sisters.
4. In your opinion, what is the biggest factor that makes Ikemefuna accept the fact that he is not returning to his homeland?
5. Describe the Week of Peace celebrated in Umuofia . How does Okonkwo violate this sacred peace and what are the consequences?
6. Describe how Okonkwo continues to worry about his son Nwoye, especially after the death of Ikemefuna.
7. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in reaction when he thinks his second wife, Ekwefi, killed a banana tree during the New Yam Festival? Explain.
8. Predict what might happen later in the book from the conversation of Obierika, Machi, and Okonkwo when they talk about "what is good in one place is bad in another . . ." and that the polite name for leprosy is "white skin".
9. Evaluate Okonkwo's frame of mind after the destruction of the yam crop.
10. Summarize the role of the women during the New Yam Festival.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Explain Okonkwo's role in the clan when he returns to Umuofia after his seven year exile.
2) Describe his plan for himself and his sons upon his return and if it worked out.
Essay Topic 2
The missionaries in Mbanta ask the rulers for a plot of land on which to build a church. The elders decide to give the missionaries a piece of land in the Evil Forest.
1) What is the significance of this decision?
2) What do the elders expect the outcome to be?
3) Relate what happened when the missionaries accepted the land.
4) What impact did final result have on the people of Mbanta?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail the three rituals of a wedding engagement for the Ibo people: the bride price, the delivery of the palm-wine, and the confession. Give a detailed summary of each ceremony.
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)