Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ultimatum is dispatched to Mbaino as a consequence of the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
2. What are the women's duties after the yams are planted?
3. When Okonkwo was a boy, his father, Unoka, consults Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills, about why his crops always fail.. What reply did the Oracle give?
4. What is the decision of the egwugwu after hearing the case for Mgbafo's family against Uzowulu?
5. What hopes does Okonkwo have for his son, Nwoye's , future?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
2. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
3. Explain what role the egwuwu, the ancestral spirits of the clan, has in the public trials of the nine villages of the clan.
4. Describe how Okonkwo goes against his nature when he goes to find Ikwefi at the sacred cave.
5. Explain how Ekwefi defies the traditions of the clan when Chielo takes Ezinma to Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
6. Do you agree with the old man who said that Okonkwo's palm-kernels had been cracked for him by a benevolent spirit? Justify your answer.
7. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
8. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
9. Explain why sharecropping is a very difficult way to get ahead for Okonkwo, and how it impacts his parents and sisters.
10. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
While waiting for Ezinma to be released from the cave of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, she has a flashback.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her relationship with Okonkwo?
2) How does it compare with their present relationship?
Choose one of the traditional celebrations, The Week of Peace or The Feast of the New Yam. Describe what happens during the celebration. Who is involved in the celebration? How long does it last? What impact does it have on the people? What is required of the people during the celebration? What are the traditional food and dress required, and what is the punishment if someone should violate the celebration?
Write three paragraphs relating the events that led up to Okonkwo's demise for the District Commissioner's book: The Pacification of the Primitive Tribes of the Lower Niger.
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)