|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the things that Okonkwo fears most?
2. Okonkwo of Umuofia is the emissary of war to Mbaino. What does Mbaino give him as an offering for the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
3. Ekwefi awakes Okonkwo early in the morning pounding on his door. What is she anxious to tell him?
4. Okonkwo is sitting in his obi with Ikemefuna and Nwoye, eating dried locusts when Ogbuefi Ezeudu comes with a message. What is the message?
5. Ezinma offers to bring Okonkwo's chair to the wrestling match for him. Why did he refuse his daughter's offer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree with Okonkwo when he gives the fatal blow to Ikemefuna with his machete?
2. Describe why Okonkwo is considered a wealthy man by Umuofia's standards.
3. How would you justify Okonkwo's harsh treatment of his family and his uncontrollable temper?
4. Explain how Okonkwo's stern attitude changes when he is awakened in the night because Ezinma is sick.
5. Summarize how the people pass the time during the rainy season.
6. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in being ashamed of his father? Explain why.
7. Okonkwo's father dies in debt, with no titles to his name. Relate why Okonkwo does not have to worry that his father's reputation will be held against him.
8. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in reaction when he thinks his second wife, Ekwefi, killed a banana tree during the New Yam Festival? Explain.
9. Predict what might happen later in the book from the conversation of Obierika, Machi, and Okonkwo when they talk about "what is good in one place is bad in another . . ." and that the polite name for leprosy is "white skin".
10. Describe the Week of Peace celebrated in Umuofia . How does Okonkwo violate this sacred peace and what are the consequences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write three paragraphs relating the events that led up to Okonkwo's demise for the District Commissioner's book: The Pacification of the Primitive Tribes of the Lower Niger.
Essay Topic 2
1) Give three examples from the novel when Okonkwo uses poor impulse control.
2) Summarize the clan's reaction to the events.
3) Analyze the consequences of Okonkwo's actions.
Essay Topic 3
While waiting for Ezinma to be released from the cave of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, she has a flashback.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her relationship with Okonkwo?
2) How does it compare with their present relationship?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)