|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the festival that gives thanks to Ani, the earth goddess and source of fertility?
2. Why do the people of Umuofia observe the Week of Peace?
3. Ezinma offers to bring Okonkwo's chair to the wrestling match for him. Why did he refuse his daughter's offer?
4. Why is Okonkwo's twelve-year-old son, Nwoye, causing him great anxiety?
5. Which of the spectators of the wrestling match are allowed to sit around the huge circle of the wrestling ring?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people of Umuofia justify mutilating the bodies of children who die in infancy or early childhood, refusing to bury them but leaving them in the forest?
2. Explain how Ekwefi defies the traditions of the clan when Chielo takes Ezinma to Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
3. Explain why sharecropping is a very difficult way to get ahead for Okonkwo, and how it impacts his parents and sisters.
4. Is it evident that the tribal rituals of marriage are important for not only the wedding couple, but the entire village?
5. Why do you think so many people in Umuofia gather with excitement to watch the wrestling matches?
6. Describe the Week of Peace celebrated in Umuofia . How does Okonkwo violate this sacred peace and what are the consequences?
7. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in being ashamed of his father? Explain why.
8. Do you agree with the old man who said that Okonkwo's palm-kernels had been cracked for him by a benevolent spirit? Justify your answer.
9. Explain how Ikemefuna is a good friend to Obiageli on the day of the New Yam Festival.
10. Describe why Okonkwo is considered a wealthy man by Umuofia's standards.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Igbo culture, there are feminine and masculine crimes.
1) Describe the difference between feminine and masculine crimes.
2) Which is considered more severe by the people and why?
3) Which of the two crimes did Okonkwo commit and what was his punishment?
Essay Topic 2
While waiting for Ezinma to be released from the cave of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, she has a flashback.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her relationship with Okonkwo?
2) How does it compare with their present relationship?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast two characters from the novel.
2) What are their physical descriptions, their personalities, feelings, and speech and behavior?
3) Are they believable characters, and how do other characters feel about them?
4) How do they relate to one another?
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)