|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Okonkwo is angry and cannot speak because of his stutter, how does he get his point across?
2. Anasi is Nwakibie's first wife, which makes her the ruler over the other wives of Nwakibie. She is the only wife who can wear her husband's titles. Where are the titles worn on Anasi?
3. Why does Okoye need to collect a past debt from Unkona?
4. Why does Okonkwo insult Osugo at a meeting by calling him a woman?
5. What is Okonkwo's punishment for committing a "nso-ani" during the Week of Peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the weather patterns the year Okonkwo promises to farm the eight hundred yam seeds from Nwakibie, and how they affect the yams.
2. Explain how Ikemefuna is a good friend to Obiageli on the day of the New Yam Festival.
3. Okonkwo's father dies in debt, with no titles to his name. Relate why Okonkwo does not have to worry that his father's reputation will be held against him.
4. Explain why Okoye, Unoka's friend, is considered a successful man.
5. Describe how Okonkwo goes against his nature when he goes to find Ikwefi at the sacred cave.
6. Relate how Okonkwo is able to plant his first yam-seeds when his father gives him nothing.
7. Describe why Okonkwo is considered a wealthy man by Umuofia's standards.
8. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in reaction when he thinks his second wife, Ekwefi, killed a banana tree during the New Yam Festival? Explain.
9. Explain how Ekwefi defies the traditions of the clan when Chielo takes Ezinma to Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
10. Who do you think benefits from the judgment of the egwuwu in the trial of Uzowulu and his wife and family and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Okonkwo's suicide at the end of the novel.
2) Did he have any other alternatives?
3) Do you think this act made him more or less of a hero to his people? Why?
Essay Topic 2
While waiting for Ezinma to be released from the cave of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, she has a flashback.
1) What does this flashback reveal about her relationship with Okonkwo?
2) How does it compare with their present relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail the three rituals of a wedding engagement for the Ibo people: the bride price, the delivery of the palm-wine, and the confession. Give a detailed summary of each ceremony.
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)