|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Brown encourage the people to attend school?
(a) With kola nuts and palm-wine
(b) With singlets and towels
(c) With a she-goat and hen
(d) With singlets and towels
2. What is an osu?
(a) A person dedicated to a god, set apart and taboo forever
(b) One of the elders, given a hut in the center of the village
(c) A holy man, revered by the people
(d) A very brave and accomplished hunter
3. What news does Obierika bring to Okonkwo and Uchendu about the Abame clan?
(a) The clan befriended the white men who arrived and now were affluent.
(b) The clan gave five of their daughters to the white men who came to the village.
(c) The clan has been wiped out by white men who surrounded the market and shot everyone.
(d) The clan offered the white men yam seeds, so they could build their own farms.
4. What does Nwoye do after his father, Okonkwo, beats him for being with the missionaries?
(a) He screams for his mother's help.
(b) He begs his father to stop beating him.
(c) He leaves his family to go the the Christian school in Umuofia.
(d) He swears that he will never go near the missionary church again.
5. Why do the men of Umuofia meet in the marketplace after the village crier beats the message on the ogene?
(a) They decide against collecting any cowries to release the six leaders.
(b) They decide to negotiate with the District Commissioner.
(c) They decide to offer half of the required fine to release the six leaders.
(d) They decide to collect the fine immediately to release their six leaders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Okonkwo mourn when he returns to his clan?
2. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
3. What is the first thing Mr. Kiaga orders the outcasts to do if they want to remain in the new religion?
4. What does Okonkwo serve at the feast for all the umunna, the descendants of Okolo?
5. What is the nickname of kotma, the court messengers who guard the prison which holds people who break the white man's law?
Short Essay Questions
1. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
2. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
3. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
4. Uchendu gives a speech to the guests at Okonkwo's farewell feast, saying that it is good for kinsmen to come together. What did he fear for the young people of the clan?
5. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
6. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
7. Okonkwo's friend, Obierika pays a visit to Okonkwo after two years of exile. He brings new of the annihilation of the Abame clan. Do you believe the white man is justified in their attack of the Abame clan? Explain.
8. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
9. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
10. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)