|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Okonkwo bring his family after being banished from his village?
(a) To live in a cave in the hills
(b) To his mother's kinsmen in Mbanta
(c) To wander the forests and live off the land
(d) To an enemy village asking to be accepted
2. What does Enoch do that is one of the greatest crimes a man can commit during the annual ceremony?
(a) He unmasks an egwugwu in public, killing an ancestral spirit.
(b) He becomes an efulefu.
(c) He beats the wife of another man.
(d) He defies his chi.
3. When the missionaries ask the rulers of Mbanta for land to build their church, what do the rulers give them?
(a) A rocky, barren piece of land in the hills
(b) An uncleared piece of land in the forest
(c) The best plot of land in the village
4. What event occurs that convinces the clan that the gods can fight their own battles?
(a) All the food at the church becmes infested with maggots.
(b) Mr. Kiaga becomes ill and is not able to get up for over a week.
(c) Okoli, the convert who is thought to have killed the Sacred Python, dies from illness.
(d) All of the converts come down with a painful rash.
5. What is Okonkwo's punishment for killing Ezeudu's son?
(a) Beheading and disgrace.
(b) One of Okonkwo's sons is to be offered as sacrifice.
(c) He and his wives and children have to flee the land.
(d) All of Okonkwo's sons are to be executed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Okonkwo's popular nickname?
2. What does Okonkwo hope his sons will be initiated into when his family returns from exile?
3. Who is called the Crystal of Beauty in Mbanta, growing into a healthy, buoyant young woman?
4. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
5. How many cowries do the court messengers ask the people for as payment to release their leaders?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
2. How does the saying "You can never go home again" hold true for Okonkwo when he returns home after seven years in exile?
3. Do you agree that Mr. Kiaga's choice of allowing the outcasts, osu, to join the other converts in the church is in the best interest of his congregation? Explain.
4. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
5. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
6. When the missionaries come to Umuofia, they tell the people that their gods are not alive and have no effect on their lives. Do you think this is a good approach for the missionaries to take? Explain why.
7. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
8. Okonkwo believes a man cannot rise above his chi, or destiny. Explain why you agree or disagree with Okonkwo's belief.
9. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
10. Okonkwo's friend, Obierika pays a visit to Okonkwo after two years of exile. He brings new of the annihilation of the Abame clan. Do you believe the white man is justified in their attack of the Abame clan? Explain.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)