|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ekwefi and Ezinma harvest the cassava for the feast?
(a) They cut the cassava off the trees with machetes.
(b) They pick the cassava off the tops of the trees.
(c) They shake every tree with a long stick, bend down to cut the stem, and dig out the tuber.
(d) The shake the tree, and the cassava fall to the ground.
2. What does Mr. Brown build in Umuofia?
(a) A town hall
(b) A playground
(c) A mansion for himself
(d) A school and a small hospital
3. What is Okonkwo's popular nickname?
(a) Roaring Flame
(b) Living Legend
(c) Raging Wrestler
(d) Flaming Heart
4. What does Okonkwo hope his sons will be initiated into when his family returns from exile?
(a) Sacred Yam Seed society
(b) Ozo society
(c) The Sacred Python society
(d) The Nidichi
5. What is Okonkwo's punishment for killing Ezeudu's son?
(a) Beheading and disgrace.
(b) He and his wives and children have to flee the land.
(c) All of Okonkwo's sons are to be executed.
(d) One of Okonkwo's sons is to be offered as sacrifice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Enoch do that is one of the greatest crimes a man can commit during the annual ceremony?
2. What does Okonkwo do when the court messengers come to the meeting, telling the clan to stop?
3. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
4. What does Okonkwo feel the greatest obstacle to going to war against the white man is?
5. What option does Ajofia, the leading egwugwu, give to Mr. Smith when they come to the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the missionaries come to Umuofia, they tell the people that their gods are not alive and have no effect on their lives. Do you think this is a good approach for the missionaries to take? Explain why.
2. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
3. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
4. Okonkwo's friend, Obierika pays a visit to Okonkwo after two years of exile. He brings new of the annihilation of the Abame clan. Do you believe the white man is justified in their attack of the Abame clan? Explain.
5. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
6. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
7. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
8. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
9. Do you agree that Mr. Kiaga's choice of allowing the outcasts, osu, to join the other converts in the church is in the best interest of his congregation? Explain.
10. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)