|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What option does Ajofia, the leading egwugwu, give to Mr. Smith when they come to the church?
(a) Mr. Smith can stay and worship his God and go back to his house.
(b) Mr. Smith can denounce his God or die.
(c) Mr. Smith can tell all the converts that he lied to them about God.
(d) Mr. Smith can leave Umuofia and not be harmed.
2. Every man learns the language of the ekwe. How does the wooden instrument let the people know exactly who has died?
(a) It only announces the name of the village.
(b) First it announces the name of the clan, then it names the village, and finally it names the man.
(c) It announces the name of the man over and over again.
(d) It spells out the letters in the name.
3. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
(a) The oldest man of the village is always buried after dark.
(b) He is a noble warrior with three titles to his name. A man who took titles can only be buried after dark.
(c) The spirits announce that he has to be buried at night.
(d) It is believed being buried at night will bring the dead man closer to his ancestors.
4. What do the rulers and elders of Mbanta decide to do about the Christians after one of the converts kills the Sacred Python?
(a) Bring the head of Mr. Kiaga back to the village marketplace
(b) Develop a plan to kill all the Christians
(c) Drive the Christians out of the village
(d) Ostracize the Christians
5. When the village meeting is called after the six leaders are released from the white man's prison, what does Okika say the clan should do?
(a) All come to peace with the white man
(b) Move and build a village elsewhere
(c) Become Christians
(d) Root out the evil of the white man
Short Answer Questions
1. What punishment does the District Commissioner give the six leaders of Umuofia?
2. What does the Abame clan do to the first white man that comes to their village?
3. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
4. Who touches off the conflict between church and clan in Umuofia that has been building since Mr. Brown left?
5. Who is the white missionary that makes friends with great men of the clan and is presented with a carved elephant tusk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
2. Do you agree that Mr. Kiaga's choice of allowing the outcasts, osu, to join the other converts in the church is in the best interest of his congregation? Explain.
3. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
4. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
5. What is Okonkwo's attitude after he is released from prison?
6. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
7. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
8. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
9. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
10. Okonkwo believes a man cannot rise above his chi, or destiny. Explain why you agree or disagree with Okonkwo's belief.
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)