|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Okonkwo serve at the feast for all the umunna, the descendants of Okolo?
(a) Fish from the stream, and roasted locusts
(b) Yams wrapped in palm leaves and roasted with palm oil
(c) Roasted locusts and small wild birds
(d) Three goats, fowls, foo-foo, yam pottage, egusi soup, bitter-leaf soup, palm-wine and kola nuts
2. What is Okonkwo afraid will happen to his male children after he dies?
(a) They will forget the lessons Okonkwo taught them.
(b) They will follow in Nwoye's footsteps and abandon the gods of their ancestors.
(c) They will never go back to their homeland again.
(d) They will be killed by neighboring enemies.
3. Why does Obierika go to visit Okonkwo a second time, two years after the first?
(a) To bring more cowries and some yam seeds to his friend, Okonkwo
(b) To find out if all is well with Okonkwo and his family.
(c) He misses his good friend, Okonkwo, and thinks he should tell him that missionaries had come.
(d) To find out why Okonkwo's son, Nwoye, joined the white missionaries.
4. What happens to the six leaders of Umuofia once the fine is paid to the District Commissioner?
(a) They are hanged anyway.
(b) They are set free.
(c) They are imprisoned for life.
(d) They are mutilated and set free.
5. What does Okonkwo send to Obierika as he enters his final year of exile?
(a) bag of cowries to repay Obierika for the money he gave him through the years
(b) Money to build two huts on Okonkwo's old compound where he and his family will live until he builds more
(c) Money to build a obi for Okonkwo for when he and his family return
(d) Four hundred yam seeds to sow in Okonkwo's old field, so he and his family will have food when they returned from exile
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Okika suggest they do that their fathers had never done before?
2. What does Okonkwo hope his sons will be initiated into when his family returns from exile?
3. What does Enoch do that is one of the greatest crimes a man can commit during the annual ceremony?
4. What is the first thing Okonkwo plans to do when he returns to his clan?
5. What happens to the six leaders of Umuofia during their meeting with the District Commissioner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
2. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
3. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
4. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
5. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
6. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
7. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
8. Okonkwo believes a man cannot rise above his chi, or destiny. Explain why you agree or disagree with Okonkwo's belief.
9. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
10. Uchendu gives a speech to the guests at Okonkwo's farewell feast, saying that it is good for kinsmen to come together. What did he fear for the young people of the clan?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)