|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the tragedy that takes place during the final burial rites for Ezeudu while the cannon is shot and guns fired?
(a) Another elder of the clan dies in all the excitement.
(b) Ezeudu's sixteen-year-old son is killed when Okonkwo's gun explodes.
(c) Ezeudu's sixteen-year-old son is shot in the arm.
(d) Ezeudu's wife stabs herself.
2. Who touches off the conflict between church and clan in Umuofia that has been building since Mr. Brown left?
(c) Mr. Smith
3. What is Nwoye's name changed to after he joins the Christians?
4. What type of clan members join the white man's religion?
(a) Men with no titles, efulefu, worthless and empty men
(b) The women and children of the clan
(c) The elders of the clan and their families
(d) The warriors of the clan, hoping the religion would keep them safe
5. What does Mr. Brown build in Umuofia?
(a) A playground
(b) A mansion for himself
(c) A town hall
(d) A school and a small hospital
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the six leaders of Umuofia once the fine is paid to the District Commissioner?
2. What is the name of the man that the ekwe announces to Umuofia?
3. What does Okonkwo feel the greatest obstacle to going to war against the white man is?
4. How is Okonkwo going to thank his mother's people for helping him during his seven years in exile?
5. What does the District Commissioner do three days after the destruction of the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
2. When the missionaries come to Umuofia, they tell the people that their gods are not alive and have no effect on their lives. Do you think this is a good approach for the missionaries to take? Explain why.
3. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
4. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
5. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
6. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
7. Okonkwo believes a man cannot rise above his chi, or destiny. Explain why you agree or disagree with Okonkwo's belief.
8. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
9. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
10. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)