|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the District Commissioner do three days after the destruction of the church?
(a) He forgives the six leaders of Umuofia and tells them to go on their way.
(b) He speaks to Mr. Smith and calls a meeting with the six leaders of Umuofia.
(c) He exiles the six leaders of Umuofia.
(d) He has the six leaders of Umuofia killed.
2. When the missionaries ask the rulers of Mbanta for land to build their church, what do the rulers give them?
(a) The best plot of land in the village
(b) An uncleared piece of land in the forest
(c) A rocky, barren piece of land in the hills
3. What is the final ceremony, Amikwu, Uchendu's youngest son, has to perform before getting married?
(a) Umuada--the gathering of daughters
(b) Kwenu--shouts of approval
(c) Isa-ife--the ceremony of confession
(d) Uri--the ceremony of wine bringing
4. How does Mr. Brown encourage the people to attend school?
(a) With singlets and towels
(b) With kola nuts and palm-wine
(c) With singlets and towels
(d) With a she-goat and hen
5. How many missionaries go to Mbanta?
(a) Three white missionaries
(b) Two white missionaries
(c) Three black missionaries
(d) Six and one of them is white
Short Answer Questions
1. What option does Ajofia, the leading egwugwu, give to Mr. Smith when they come to the church?
2. Who is called the Crystal of Beauty in Mbanta, growing into a healthy, buoyant young woman?
3. What event occurs that convinces the clan that the gods can fight their own battles?
4. Why does Obierika go to visit Okonkwo a second time, two years after the first?
5. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
2. How does the saying "You can never go home again" hold true for Okonkwo when he returns home after seven years in exile?
3. What is Okonkwo's attitude after he is released from prison?
4. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
5. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
6. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
7. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
8. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
9. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
10. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)