|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many cowries do the court messengers ask the people for as payment to release their leaders?
(a) Two hundred and ten bags
(b) Two hundred and fifty bags
(c) Three hundred bags
(d) Two hundred bags
2. What event occurs that convinces the clan that the gods can fight their own battles?
(a) All the food at the church becmes infested with maggots.
(b) Mr. Kiaga becomes ill and is not able to get up for over a week.
(c) Okoli, the convert who is thought to have killed the Sacred Python, dies from illness.
(d) All of the converts come down with a painful rash.
3. What does Nwoye do after his father, Okonkwo, beats him for being with the missionaries?
(a) He screams for his mother's help.
(b) He swears that he will never go near the missionary church again.
(c) He begs his father to stop beating him.
(d) He leaves his family to go the the Christian school in Umuofia.
4. What is Okonkwo's popular nickname?
(a) Flaming Heart
(b) Roaring Flame
(c) Raging Wrestler
(d) Living Legend
5. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
(a) Forget about his past, and denounce his homeland.
(b) Never return to his homeland, but build his future in Mbanta.
(c) Comfort his wives and children and take them back to his fatherland after seven years.
(d) To go back to his clan and beg to be forgiven.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Okonkwo's punishment for killing Ezeudu's son?
2. What does Enoch do that is one of the greatest crimes a man can commit during the annual ceremony?
3. How does Ekwefi and Ezinma harvest the cassava for the feast?
4. What do the rulers and elders of Mbanta decide to do about the Christians after one of the converts kills the Sacred Python?
5. What is the first thing Mr. Kiaga orders the outcasts to do if they want to remain in the new religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
2. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
3. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
4. How does the saying "You can never go home again" hold true for Okonkwo when he returns home after seven years in exile?
5. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
6. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
7. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
8. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
9. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
10. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)