|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many missionaries go to Mbanta?
(a) Three black missionaries
(b) Two white missionaries
(c) Six and one of them is white
(d) Three white missionaries
2. What does the angry band of egwugwu do to Enoch's compound and the Christian church as revenge for unmasking one of the ancestral spirits?
(a) They burn them to the ground.
(b) They murder all Enoch's family and the Christians in the church.
(c) They rub red clay and palm oil all over the buildings.
(d) They leave the buildings alone and try to find Enoch.
3. How does Ekwefi and Ezinma harvest the cassava for the feast?
(a) They pick the cassava off the tops of the trees.
(b) They cut the cassava off the trees with machetes.
(c) The shake the tree, and the cassava fall to the ground.
(d) They shake every tree with a long stick, bend down to cut the stem, and dig out the tuber.
4. What happens in Umuofia the next time Obierika comes to visit Okonkwo, two years later?
(a) More white men come, and the clan kills them.
(b) The missionaries come, building a church and send evangalists to other towns and villages.
(c) The entire village coverts to the white man's religion.
(d) The white men wipe out another clan of Umuofia.
5. What does Uchendu, the younger brother of Okonkwo's mother, give to Okonkwo after he comes looking for refuge?
(a) A plot of ground, and two or three pieces of land
(b) Advice on living in the forest
(c) A basket of yams and palm-wine for his travels
(d) A gun to protect him and his family during their exile
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
2. How is Okonkwo going to thank his mother's people for helping him during his seven years in exile?
3. What is Okonkwo's punishment for killing Ezeudu's son?
4. What type of clan members join the white man's religion?
5. What does Okonkwo feel the greatest obstacle to going to war against the white man is?
Short Essay Questions
1. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
2. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
3. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
4. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
5. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
6. Do you agree that Mr. Kiaga's choice of allowing the outcasts, osu, to join the other converts in the church is in the best interest of his congregation? Explain.
7. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
8. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
9. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
10. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)