|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Okonkwo afraid will happen to his male children after he dies?
(a) They will be killed by neighboring enemies.
(b) They will forget the lessons Okonkwo taught them.
(c) They will follow in Nwoye's footsteps and abandon the gods of their ancestors.
(d) They will never go back to their homeland again.
2. What does Okonkwo send to Obierika as he enters his final year of exile?
(a) Four hundred yam seeds to sow in Okonkwo's old field, so he and his family will have food when they returned from exile
(b) Money to build two huts on Okonkwo's old compound where he and his family will live until he builds more
(c) Money to build a obi for Okonkwo for when he and his family return
(d) bag of cowries to repay Obierika for the money he gave him through the years
3. How are the six leaders of Umuofia treated while in captivity?
(a) They are given anything they asked for.
(b) They are whipped every day.
(c) Their heads are shaved. They are given nothing to eat or drink for three days, and are not allowed to go out and relieve themselves.
(d) They are treated with kindness and respect.
4. What happens to the six leaders of Umuofia once the fine is paid to the District Commissioner?
(a) They are mutilated and set free.
(b) They are set free.
(c) They are imprisoned for life.
(d) They are hanged anyway.
5. What event occurs that convinces the clan that the gods can fight their own battles?
(a) Mr. Kiaga becomes ill and is not able to get up for over a week.
(b) Okoli, the convert who is thought to have killed the Sacred Python, dies from illness.
(c) All of the converts come down with a painful rash.
(d) All the food at the church becmes infested with maggots.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Okonkwo plans to do when he returns to his clan?
2. What does Mr. Brown build in Umuofia?
3. How does Mr. Brown encourage the people to attend school?
4. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
5. Who says that the Abame were fools and had been warned of danger, and that they should have brought guns and machetes with them to the market?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
2. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
3. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
4. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
5. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
6. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
7. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
8. What is Okonkwo's attitude after he is released from prison?
9. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
10. How does the saying "You can never go home again" hold true for Okonkwo when he returns home after seven years in exile?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)