|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
(a) The beginning of war
(b) The beginning of a festival
(c) The death of a man
(d) The birth of a child
2. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
(a) It is believed being buried at night will bring the dead man closer to his ancestors.
(b) The spirits announce that he has to be buried at night.
(c) The oldest man of the village is always buried after dark.
(d) He is a noble warrior with three titles to his name. A man who took titles can only be buried after dark.
3. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
(a) They are unwilling to hunt.
(b) They follow the old ways instead of the new religion.
(c) They are poor farmers.
(d) They do not understand the bond of kinship.
4. What is the other thing that the white man brought to Umuofia besides religion?
(c) Wives for the clan
5. What is the nickname of kotma, the court messengers who guard the prison which holds people who break the white man's law?
(a) Slime of the earth
(c) Dead locusts
(d) Betrayers of the people
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Okonkwo send to Obierika as he enters his final year of exile?
2. What does Okonkwo vow to do after being released from the white man's prison?
3. What is the tragedy that takes place during the final burial rites for Ezeudu while the cannon is shot and guns fired?
4. Who is called the Crystal of Beauty in Mbanta, growing into a healthy, buoyant young woman?
5. How many missionaries go to Mbanta?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
2. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
3. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
4. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
5. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
6. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
7. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
8. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
9. How does the saying "You can never go home again" hold true for Okonkwo when he returns home after seven years in exile?
10. What is Okonkwo's attitude after he is released from prison?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)