|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Aneto kills Oduche over a land dispute, what does the white man's government decide?
(a) To imprison Aneto for life
(b) To whip Aneto
(c) To hang Aneto
(d) To exile Aneto and his family
2. Why does Obierika go to visit Okonkwo a second time, two years after the first?
(a) To bring more cowries and some yam seeds to his friend, Okonkwo
(b) To find out why Okonkwo's son, Nwoye, joined the white missionaries.
(c) He misses his good friend, Okonkwo, and thinks he should tell him that missionaries had come.
(d) To find out if all is well with Okonkwo and his family.
3. What does Uchendu, the younger brother of Okonkwo's mother, give to Okonkwo after he comes looking for refuge?
(a) A basket of yams and palm-wine for his travels
(b) Advice on living in the forest
(c) A gun to protect him and his family during their exile
(d) A plot of ground, and two or three pieces of land
4. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
(a) They are referring to Mother Earth and how she is fertile for the yams.
(b) They believe in the very first mother of all men, giving life to all the men who came after.
(c) They are referring to the mother of all gods, guiding them to rule the world.
(d) When a man is sorrowful and bitter, he seeks refuge in his motherland because his mother is there to protect him. It is where she is buried.
5. What does Okonkwo do when the court messengers come to the meeting, telling the clan to stop?
(a) He leaves the meeting, afraid of being arrested again.
(b) He turns and asks the clan to stop the meeting.
(c) He beheads one of the messengers with his machete.
(d) He tries to convince the messengers to join the meeting peacefully.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Umuofia the next time Obierika comes to visit Okonkwo, two years later?
2. How are the six leaders of Umuofia treated while in captivity?
3. When the village meeting is called after the six leaders are released from the white man's prison, what does Okika say the clan should do?
4. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
5. How many missionaries go to Mbanta?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
2. Compare the personalities of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith. Which man do you think was better for the people of Umuofia?
3. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
4. When the missionaries come to Umuofia, they tell the people that their gods are not alive and have no effect on their lives. Do you think this is a good approach for the missionaries to take? Explain why.
5. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
6. Do you agree that Mr. Kiaga's choice of allowing the outcasts, osu, to join the other converts in the church is in the best interest of his congregation? Explain.
7. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
8. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
9. Okonkwo's friend, Obierika pays a visit to Okonkwo after two years of exile. He brings new of the annihilation of the Abame clan. Do you believe the white man is justified in their attack of the Abame clan? Explain.
10. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)