|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uchendu, the younger brother of Okonkwo's mother, give to Okonkwo after he comes looking for refuge?
(a) Advice on living in the forest
(b) A basket of yams and palm-wine for his travels
(c) A plot of ground, and two or three pieces of land
(d) A gun to protect him and his family during their exile
2. What does Okonkwo mourn when he returns to his clan?
(a) The clan is too aggressive and angry.
(b) The clan is malnourished and weak.
(c) The clan is poor.
(d) The clan is breaking up and falling apart.
3. What is the nickname of kotma, the court messengers who guard the prison which holds people who break the white man's law?
(a) Betrayers of the people
(b) Dead locusts
(d) Slime of the earth
4. What option does Ajofia, the leading egwugwu, give to Mr. Smith when they come to the church?
(a) Mr. Smith can stay and worship his God and go back to his house.
(b) Mr. Smith can leave Umuofia and not be harmed.
(c) Mr. Smith can tell all the converts that he lied to them about God.
(d) Mr. Smith can denounce his God or die.
5. What is the first thing Mr. Kiaga orders the outcasts to do if they want to remain in the new religion?
(a) Kneel before the cross and pray to be accepted
(b) Go to the village and proclaim their faith
(c) Return to their special area of the village and never return
(d) Shave off their long tangled hair
Short Answer Questions
1. How many missionaries go to Mbanta?
2. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
3. Who touches off the conflict between church and clan in Umuofia that has been building since Mr. Brown left?
4. What does Okika suggest they do that their fathers had never done before?
5. What is the final ceremony, Amikwu, Uchendu's youngest son, has to perform before getting married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
2. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
3. What is Okonkwo's attitude after he is released from prison?
4. Compare the personalities of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith. Which man do you think was better for the people of Umuofia?
5. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
6. How does the saying "You can never go home again" hold true for Okonkwo when he returns home after seven years in exile?
7. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
8. Okonkwo believes a man cannot rise above his chi, or destiny. Explain why you agree or disagree with Okonkwo's belief.
9. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
10. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)