|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Okonkwo plans to do when he returns to his clan?
(a) Have his wives cook meals for the village
(b) Go to each neighboring hut, apologizing for the past
(c) Rebuild his compound better than it was before
(d) Move in with a neighbor until he could rebuild
2. What happens to the six leaders of Umuofia during their meeting with the District Commissioner?
(a) They are treated with kindness and respect.
(b) They share a feast with the District Commissioner.
(c) They are put in handcuffs, and led to the guardroom.
(d) The Commissioner and leaders agree to peace.
3. What is Okonkwo's punishment for killing Ezeudu's son?
(a) One of Okonkwo's sons is to be offered as sacrifice.
(b) He and his wives and children have to flee the land.
(c) Beheading and disgrace.
(d) All of Okonkwo's sons are to be executed.
4. What does Okonkwo serve at the feast for all the umunna, the descendants of Okolo?
(a) Roasted locusts and small wild birds
(b) Yams wrapped in palm leaves and roasted with palm oil
(c) Fish from the stream, and roasted locusts
(d) Three goats, fowls, foo-foo, yam pottage, egusi soup, bitter-leaf soup, palm-wine and kola nuts
5. What happens to the Christian women who go to the stream for water to wash the church with?
(a) They are allowed to get water, but can not speak to anyone.
(b) They are chased away from the stream and whipped.
(c) They are captured and brought to the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
(d) They are given water but are told it is the last time.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Okonkwo going to thank his mother's people for helping him during his seven years in exile?
2. Why does Obierika go to visit Okonkwo a second time, two years after the first?
3. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
4. What is Nwoye's name changed to after he joins the Christians?
5. What is the nickname of kotma, the court messengers who guard the prison which holds people who break the white man's law?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the advice Uchendu gives to Okonkwo about his lot in life.
2. Okonkwo's friend, Obierika pays a visit to Okonkwo after two years of exile. He brings new of the annihilation of the Abame clan. Do you believe the white man is justified in their attack of the Abame clan? Explain.
3. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
4. When the missionaries come to Umuofia, they tell the people that their gods are not alive and have no effect on their lives. Do you think this is a good approach for the missionaries to take? Explain why.
5. Compare the personalities of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith. Which man do you think was better for the people of Umuofia?
6. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
7. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
8. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
9. How does the saying "You can never go home again" hold true for Okonkwo when he returns home after seven years in exile?
10. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)