|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What option does Ajofia, the leading egwugwu, give to Mr. Smith when they come to the church?
(a) Mr. Smith can tell all the converts that he lied to them about God.
(b) Mr. Smith can denounce his God or die.
(c) Mr. Smith can leave Umuofia and not be harmed.
(d) Mr. Smith can stay and worship his God and go back to his house.
2. What does Okonkwo mourn when he returns to his clan?
(a) The clan is malnourished and weak.
(b) The clan is too aggressive and angry.
(c) The clan is poor.
(d) The clan is breaking up and falling apart.
3. Why does Uchendu say, "Never kill a man who says nothing" when Obierika tells them about the white man the Abame killed?
(a) The white man did not said anything to the Abame and according to Uchendu, silence is ominous.
(b) He may not be able to speak your language.
(c) Because he did not defended himself and may be innocent.
(d) He may hold secrets you need to learn.
4. What happens in Umuofia the next time Obierika comes to visit Okonkwo, two years later?
(a) More white men come, and the clan kills them.
(b) The entire village coverts to the white man's religion.
(c) The white men wipe out another clan of Umuofia.
(d) The missionaries come, building a church and send evangalists to other towns and villages.
5. What news does Obierika bring to Okonkwo and Uchendu about the Abame clan?
(a) The clan has been wiped out by white men who surrounded the market and shot everyone.
(b) The clan offered the white men yam seeds, so they could build their own farms.
(c) The clan befriended the white men who arrived and now were affluent.
(d) The clan gave five of their daughters to the white men who came to the village.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the six leaders of Umuofia treated while in captivity?
2. What does the Abame clan do to the first white man that comes to their village?
3. How many missionaries go to Mbanta?
4. Why does Obierika tell Okonkwo that it is too late to fight the white man and drive him from the land?
5. What does Nwoye do after his father, Okonkwo, beats him for being with the missionaries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
2. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
3. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
4. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
5. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
6. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
7. Okonkwo believes a man cannot rise above his chi, or destiny. Explain why you agree or disagree with Okonkwo's belief.
8. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
9. After one of the converts kills the royal python, why does Okonkwo think it is a womanly decision to ostracize the converts from the daily rituals and privileges of members of the clan?
10. Compare the personalities of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith. Which man do you think was better for the people of Umuofia?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)