|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the missionary that replaces Mr. Brown in Umuofia?
(a) Reverend James Smith
(b) Reverend Peter Paul
(c) Reverend John Paul
(d) Reverend Simon Peter
2. What type of clan members join the white man's religion?
(a) The elders of the clan and their families
(b) The women and children of the clan
(c) Men with no titles, efulefu, worthless and empty men
(d) The warriors of the clan, hoping the religion would keep them safe
3. What do the rulers and elders of Mbanta decide to do about the Christians after one of the converts kills the Sacred Python?
(a) Develop a plan to kill all the Christians
(b) Bring the head of Mr. Kiaga back to the village marketplace
(c) Drive the Christians out of the village
(d) Ostracize the Christians
4. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
(a) Never return to his homeland, but build his future in Mbanta.
(b) Forget about his past, and denounce his homeland.
(c) Comfort his wives and children and take them back to his fatherland after seven years.
(d) To go back to his clan and beg to be forgiven.
5. What does Okonkwo serve at the feast for all the umunna, the descendants of Okolo?
(a) Three goats, fowls, foo-foo, yam pottage, egusi soup, bitter-leaf soup, palm-wine and kola nuts
(b) Roasted locusts and small wild birds
(c) Fish from the stream, and roasted locusts
(d) Yams wrapped in palm leaves and roasted with palm oil
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Brown encourage the people to attend school?
2. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
3. What is Okonkwo's punishment for killing Ezeudu's son?
4. What does Mr. Smith tell the people about ogbanje, the evil children who are born over and over again to plague their mothers?
5. What does Okonkwo mourn when he returns to his clan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
2. Okonkwo believes a man cannot rise above his chi, or destiny. Explain why you agree or disagree with Okonkwo's belief.
3. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
4. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
5. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
6. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
7. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
8. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
9. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
10. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)