|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the men of Umuofia meet in the marketplace after the village crier beats the message on the ogene?
(a) They decide to offer half of the required fine to release the six leaders.
(b) They decide against collecting any cowries to release the six leaders.
(c) They decide to negotiate with the District Commissioner.
(d) They decide to collect the fine immediately to release their six leaders.
2. What news does Obierika bring to Okonkwo and Uchendu about the Abame clan?
(a) The clan gave five of their daughters to the white men who came to the village.
(b) The clan offered the white men yam seeds, so they could build their own farms.
(c) The clan befriended the white men who arrived and now were affluent.
(d) The clan has been wiped out by white men who surrounded the market and shot everyone.
3. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
(a) The beginning of war
(b) The death of a man
(c) The birth of a child
(d) The beginning of a festival
4. What do the rulers and elders of Mbanta decide to do about the Christians after one of the converts kills the Sacred Python?
(a) Ostracize the Christians
(b) Bring the head of Mr. Kiaga back to the village marketplace
(c) Develop a plan to kill all the Christians
(d) Drive the Christians out of the village
5. What do the people of Mbanta expect to happen to the missionaries when they start building their church?
(a) They think many of the clan will convert to the new religion.
(b) They expect all the people of Mbanta to help build the church.
(c) They expect all the missionaries to die within four days.
(d) They expect all the missionaries to get sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the Christian women who go to the stream for water to wash the church with?
2. Why does Uchendu say, "Never kill a man who says nothing" when Obierika tells them about the white man the Abame killed?
3. How does Ekwefi and Ezinma harvest the cassava for the feast?
4. Why does Obierika go to visit Okonkwo a second time, two years after the first?
5. How is Okonkwo going to thank his mother's people for helping him during his seven years in exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
2. Do you agree that Mr. Kiaga's choice of allowing the outcasts, osu, to join the other converts in the church is in the best interest of his congregation? Explain.
3. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
4. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
5. What is Okonkwo's attitude after he is released from prison?
6. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
7. What is Okonkwo's final act as a warrior for his village of Umuofia? Did it reverse the falling apart of his village in any way?
8. When the missionaries come to Umuofia, they tell the people that their gods are not alive and have no effect on their lives. Do you think this is a good approach for the missionaries to take? Explain why.
9. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
10. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)