|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Okonkwo's punishment for killing Ezeudu's son?
(a) One of Okonkwo's sons is to be offered as sacrifice.
(b) All of Okonkwo's sons are to be executed.
(c) He and his wives and children have to flee the land.
(d) Beheading and disgrace.
2. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
(a) Forget about his past, and denounce his homeland.
(b) Never return to his homeland, but build his future in Mbanta.
(c) To go back to his clan and beg to be forgiven.
(d) Comfort his wives and children and take them back to his fatherland after seven years.
3. How are the six leaders of Umuofia treated while in captivity?
(a) Their heads are shaved. They are given nothing to eat or drink for three days, and are not allowed to go out and relieve themselves.
(b) They are treated with kindness and respect.
(c) They are given anything they asked for.
(d) They are whipped every day.
4. What is the first thing Okonkwo plans to do when he returns to his clan?
(a) Go to each neighboring hut, apologizing for the past
(b) Have his wives cook meals for the village
(c) Rebuild his compound better than it was before
(d) Move in with a neighbor until he could rebuild
5. Where does Obierika get the bags of cowries that he brings to Okonkwo?
(a) He sells Okonkwo's yams and seed yams.
(b) He collects the money from the clan members who favor Okonkwo.
(c) He gives Okonkwo some of the cowries he saved through the years.
(d) He sells Okonkwo's compound and brings him the money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Mr. Kiaga orders the outcasts to do if they want to remain in the new religion?
2. What does Okonkwo feel the greatest obstacle to going to war against the white man is?
3. What option does Ajofia, the leading egwugwu, give to Mr. Smith when they come to the church?
4. What event occurs that convinces the clan that the gods can fight their own battles?
5. What does Uchendu, the younger brother of Okonkwo's mother, give to Okonkwo after he comes looking for refuge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Uchendu gives a speech to the guests at Okonkwo's farewell feast, saying that it is good for kinsmen to come together. What did he fear for the young people of the clan?
2. Do you think it is right for the clan to burn down the church after Enoch pulls the mask off the egwuwu during the annual ceremony? Explain.
3. Compare the personalities of Mr. Brown and Reverend Smith. Which man do you think was better for the people of Umuofia?
4. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
5. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
6. Okonkwo's friend, Obierika pays a visit to Okonkwo after two years of exile. He brings new of the annihilation of the Abame clan. Do you believe the white man is justified in their attack of the Abame clan? Explain.
7. Describe the plan the leaders of Mbanta make when the missionary comes to them asking for a plot of land to build a church.
8. The District Commissioner outsmarts the six leaders of Umuofia, including Okonkwo and arrests them, abuses them, and humiliates them. What affect does his have on the spirit of the clan?
9. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
10. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)