|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the law state in Umuofia if a woman runs away from her husband?
(a) Her husband is allowed to go get her, dragging her back home by the hair.
(b) She must be left in the forest to die.
(c) Her bride-price must be returned to the husband.
(d) She is to be killed and left unburied for the vultures and wild animals.
2. When Okonkwo was a boy, his father, Unoka, consults Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills, about why his crops always fail.. What reply did the Oracle give?
(a) That Unoka sows his yams on exhausted land rather than making the effort to clear new land.
(b) That he should stay home and offer sacrifices to the gods.
(c) That he angers his ancestors and they plague his land.
(d) That Unoka has offended the gods and that is why his crop fail.
3. How does Okonkwo act for two days after Ikemefuna's death?
(a) He goes into the hills and offers a sacrifice to the gods, asking their forgiveness for taking part in Ikemfuna's death.
(b) He acts as if nothing has happened and continues his daily routines.
(c) He does not eat for two days, he drinks palm-wine from morning until night, he does not sleep, and he can't stop thinking about Ikemefuna.
(d) He works day and night to keep his mind occupied.
4. What are the women's duties after the yams are planted?
(a) They plant maize, melons, and beans between the mounds. They also weeded the farm three times per planting season.
(b) They make meals for the men working in the fields.
(c) They plant kola nuts between the yams, and weed the yams every day.
(d) They make bamboo woven hats for the farmers working in the hot sun.
5. How does eighteen-year-old, Okonkwo, bring honor to his village?
(a) He throws the great wrestler, Amalinze the Cat.
(b) He plays his flute in the village after the harvest.
(c) He has a barn full of yams.
(d) He has no patience with unsuccessful men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Okonkwo does not fear war. In the last war he fought, he brought home a souvenir which he drank palm-wine out of. What is this souvenir?
2. What is the festival that gives thanks to Ani, the earth goddess and source of fertility?
3. Anasi is Nwakibie's first wife, which makes her the ruler over the other wives of Nwakibie. She is the only wife who can wear her husband's titles. Where are the titles worn on Anasi?
4. Who is the powerful orator that informs the ten thousand men of the emergency facing the nine villages of Umuofia?
5. The Ibo people consider conversation to be very important. What form of conversation do they regard the most highly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Ikemefuna is a good friend to Obiageli on the day of the New Yam Festival.
2. Describe why Okonkwo is considered a wealthy man by Umuofia's standards.
3. Analyze Okonkwo's feelings for Enzinma and Ekwefi, and how they relate to his fear of weakness.
4. Describe the Week of Peace celebrated in Umuofia . How does Okonkwo violate this sacred peace and what are the consequences?
5. How would you justify Okonkwo's harsh treatment of his family and his uncontrollable temper?
6. Do you agree with the old man who said that Okonkwo's palm-kernels had been cracked for him by a benevolent spirit? Justify your answer.
7. What is the tradition the in-laws must do for the uri?
8. Describe how Okonkwo continues to worry about his son Nwoye, especially after the death of Ikemefuna.
9. How do the people of Umuofia justify mutilating the bodies of children who die in infancy or early childhood, refusing to bury them but leaving them in the forest?
10. Why don't the people want an even wrestling match, ending in a tie?
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)