|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the decision of the egwugwu after hearing the case for Mgbafo's family against Uzowulu?
(a) The bride-price is not to be paid back to Uzowulu.
(b) The bride-price is to be returned to Uzowulu.
(c) Uzowulu is warned never to beat a woman again or he will be mutilated.
(d) Uzowulu is to bring a pot of wine to Mgbafo's family and beg that his wife be returned to him. Mgbafo's family is to return her to Uzowulu when he brings the wine to them.
2. What do the people of Umuofia fear in the night?
(a) Bandits in search of money and food.
(b) Kidnappers looking for children to sell as slaves.
(c) Rogue warriors from Mbaino.
(d) Evil spirits, dangerous animals, and snakes.
3. Why does Okonkwo beat his second wife, Ojiugo, during the sacred Week of Peace?
(a) She disagrees with what Okonkwo has to say.
(b) She is caught with another man.
(c) She cooks a meal that Okonkwo does not like.
(d) She is at a friend's house and does not prepare Okonkwo's afternoon meal.
4. What is the one passion that rules Okonkwo's life?
(a) To hate everything his father loved.
(b) To be affluent in money, wives, and children.
(c) To obtain more wealth than anyone else in Umuofia.
(d) To make sure his barn was always filled with yams.
5. Why doesn't Okonkwo have any patience with his father?
(a) Unkona is overly ambitious and driven to earn the highest titles in the land.
(b) Unkona spoils his wife and children, providing them with too much food and money.
(c) Unkona is a great warrior who is always away at war.
(d) Unoka is lazy, a debtor, and a failure.
Short Answer Questions
1. Okonkwo's friend, Obierika, is celebrating his daughter's uri. Why does this day put the entire neighborhood into a festive air?
2. Why does Unkona change the subject to music when he and Oybe are discussing the impending war with the village of Mbaino?
3. What are the things that Okonkwo fears most?
4. How does Okonkwo act for two days after Ikemefuna's death?
5. Nwoye's mother calls Ezinma "Ezigbo" when she brings the fire to Nwoye's mother's hut. What does "Ezigbo" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
2. When the missionaries come to Umuofia, they tell the people that their gods are not alive and have no effect on their lives. Do you think this is a good approach for the missionaries to take? Explain why.
3. Okonkwo lives his life afraid of being seen as a failure. How does his suicide make him everything he vows never to be?
4. Explain how Ekwefi defies the traditions of the clan when Chielo takes Ezinma to Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
5. Do you think Okonkwo is correct in his reaction to his son, Nwoye joining the Christians? Why?
6. Do you agree that Mr. Kiaga's choice of allowing the outcasts, osu, to join the other converts in the church is in the best interest of his congregation? Explain.
7. Determine the point of view of Mbaino with regard to settling the dispute with Umuofia over the murder of Ezeugo.
8. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
9. Evaluate Okonkwo's reputation in the nine villages of Umuofia.
10. Why don't the people want an even wrestling match, ending in a tie?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)