|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people of Umuofia fear in the night?
(a) Rogue warriors from Mbaino.
(b) Evil spirits, dangerous animals, and snakes.
(c) Kidnappers looking for children to sell as slaves.
(d) Bandits in search of money and food.
2. How long is Ikemenfuna in Okonkwo's care?
(a) Three months
(b) Three years
(c) Twelve years
(d) Two days
3. Okonkwo ate his wive's meals, and his wives and children are their supper. What is the next thing his wives and children do?
(a) The wives wash their hair and their children's hair
(b) Sing and told folk stories
(c) Review the events of the day
(d) Wash the children and get them ready for bed
4. What is the only way a young man can build a barn of his own if his father has no yams?
(a) Saving his money to buy seeds.
(b) Going to his mother and his father's wives for help.
(d) Planting coco-yams.
5. After speaking with the elders of nine villages, what does Okonkwo tell Ikemefuna about what is going to happen to him?
(a) That he is free to go.
(b) That he is being killed.
(c) That he is being exiled.
(d) That he is going home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can an observer tell if a communal ceremony is only for the men of the village?
2. Why do men and women look forward to the Feast of the New Yam?
3. Which men fight in the final wrestling match of the day?
4. When is the only time that Unkona is not haggard and mournful?
5. What does Ekwefi do after Chielo carries Ezinma away on her back?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't the people want an even wrestling match, ending in a tie?
2. How would you justify Okonkwo's harsh treatment of his family and his uncontrollable temper?
3. Describe the weather patterns the year Okonkwo promises to farm the eight hundred yam seeds from Nwakibie, and how they affect the yams.
4. Describe how Okonkwo continues to worry about his son Nwoye, especially after the death of Ikemefuna.
5. Explain how Ekwefi defies the traditions of the clan when Chielo takes Ezinma to Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
6. Compare the differences in the attitudes of the people of Umuofia with regard to a dark night and a moonlit night.
7. Evaluate Okonkwo's reputation in the nine villages of Umuofia.
8. Why do you think so many people in Umuofia gather with excitement to watch the wrestling matches?
9. Evaluate Okonkwo's frame of mind after the destruction of the yam crop.
10. In your opinion, what is the biggest factor that makes Ikemefuna accept the fact that he is not returning to his homeland?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)