|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the agreed upon bride-price for Akueke?
(a) Ten woven baskets of yams
(b) A she-goat, a hen, and ten cowries
(c) Twenty bags of cowries
(d) Five bags of cowries and one hundred yam seeds
2. What is used to inform all the men of the Umuofia to meet in the market place the following morning?
(a) A group of armed warriors.
(b) The town crier beating on his hollow, metal ogene.
(c) A choir of people singing the message.
(d) The beating of drums in the night.
3. What is Okonkwo's punishment for committing a "nso-ani" during the Week of Peace?
(a) Go to the shrine of Ani, fast for three days, and beg forgiveness for breaking the sacred peace.
(b) Bring a bamboo basket of yams, a flask of palm-wine and a hen to the shrine of Ani.
(c) Bring a she-goat, one hen, a length of cloth, and a hundred cowries to the shrine of Ani.
(d) Go to the shrine of Ani and confess his disrespectful behavior to the gods of the clan, remaining on his knees throughout a day and night.
4. When Okonkwo was a boy, his father, Unoka, consults Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills, about why his crops always fail.. What reply did the Oracle give?
(a) That he should stay home and offer sacrifices to the gods.
(b) That he angers his ancestors and they plague his land.
(c) That Unoka has offended the gods and that is why his crop fail.
(d) That Unoka sows his yams on exhausted land rather than making the effort to clear new land.
5. As Ekwefi and Okonkwo wait outside of Agbala's cave for Ezinma's return, what does Ekwefi think about?
(a) She thinks about what must be happening to Ezinma in the cave.
(b) She thinks about when she and Okonkwo were young, and how she left her first husband to be with Okonkwo.
(c) She thinks about how she and Okonkwo can defeat Agbala.
(d) She thinks she will take Ezinma and move away from the village.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do all the women abandon preparing the food for the uri and rush off to the Obierika's crop field?
2. Why is Umuofia feared by all its neighbors?
3. What is the only way a young man can build a barn of his own if his father has no yams?
4. Why is Okonkwo's twelve-year-old son, Nwoye, causing him great anxiety?
5. During the rainy season, how do the people of the village pass the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree with Okonkwo when he gives the fatal blow to Ikemefuna with his machete?
2. Describe the Week of Peace celebrated in Umuofia . How does Okonkwo violate this sacred peace and what are the consequences?
3. Summarize how the people pass the time during the rainy season.
4. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in being ashamed of his father? Explain why.
5. How would you justify Okonkwo's harsh treatment of his family and his uncontrollable temper?
6. Is it evident that the tribal rituals of marriage are important for not only the wedding couple, but the entire village?
7. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in reaction when he thinks his second wife, Ekwefi, killed a banana tree during the New Yam Festival? Explain.
8. Okonkwo's father dies in debt, with no titles to his name. Relate why Okonkwo does not have to worry that his father's reputation will be held against him.
9. Explain how Ekwefi defies the traditions of the clan when Chielo takes Ezinma to Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
10. Explain why sharecropping is a very difficult way to get ahead for Okonkwo, and how it impacts his parents and sisters.
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)