|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ultimatum is dispatched to Mbaino as a consequence of the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
(a) Delivery to Umuofia a year's worth of the yam harvest as a peace offering.
(b) Choose between war or the offer of a young man and a virgin from Mbaino.
(c) Deliver the head of the murderer to the people of Umuofia.
(d) The sacrificial offering of one of the daughters of Mbaino.
2. What are the women's duties after the yams are planted?
(a) They plant maize, melons, and beans between the mounds. They also weeded the farm three times per planting season.
(b) They make bamboo woven hats for the farmers working in the hot sun.
(c) They make meals for the men working in the fields.
(d) They plant kola nuts between the yams, and weed the yams every day.
3. When Okonkwo was a boy, his father, Unoka, consults Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills, about why his crops always fail.. What reply did the Oracle give?
(a) That Unoka sows his yams on exhausted land rather than making the effort to clear new land.
(b) That Unoka has offended the gods and that is why his crop fail.
(c) That he angers his ancestors and they plague his land.
(d) That he should stay home and offer sacrifices to the gods.
4. What is the decision of the egwugwu after hearing the case for Mgbafo's family against Uzowulu?
(a) Uzowulu is to bring a pot of wine to Mgbafo's family and beg that his wife be returned to him. Mgbafo's family is to return her to Uzowulu when he brings the wine to them.
(b) The bride-price is to be returned to Uzowulu.
(c) Uzowulu is warned never to beat a woman again or he will be mutilated.
(d) The bride-price is not to be paid back to Uzowulu.
5. What hopes does Okonkwo have for his son, Nwoye's , future?
(a) He wants Nwoye to be prosperous, that he will have enough to feed the ancestors with regular sacrifices, and he will be able to rule his women and children.
(b) He hopes Nwoye would be a fair, just, and wise father and husband, showing kindness and love to his family.
(c) He wants Nwoye to be a great warrior with many heroic victories to his name.
(d) He wants Nwoye to be a talented musician, performing at all the festivals in the nine villages.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first day of the new year is celebrated with feasting and fellowship. What takes place on the second day of the new year?
2. How does Nwoye's mother treat Ikemenfuna?
3. How many men are in each of the two teams of wrestlers who face each other in the wrestling ring?
4. How can an observer tell if a communal ceremony is only for the men of the village?
5. What is the significance of the beating of drums in the village playground, the ilo, where all the great ceremonies and dances of the village take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think the white man causes the village of Umuofia to fall apart, as Obierika thinks? Explain.
2. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
3. Explain what role the egwuwu, the ancestral spirits of the clan, has in the public trials of the nine villages of the clan.
4. Describe how Okonkwo goes against his nature when he goes to find Ikwefi at the sacred cave.
5. Explain how Ekwefi defies the traditions of the clan when Chielo takes Ezinma to Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
6. Do you agree with the old man who said that Okonkwo's palm-kernels had been cracked for him by a benevolent spirit? Justify your answer.
7. What impact does the burning of the church have on Okonkwo's frame of mind?
8. What is Okonkwo's point of view with regard to the clan when he returns home?
9. Explain why sharecropping is a very difficult way to get ahead for Okonkwo, and how it impacts his parents and sisters.
10. Do you agree with the punishment the elders of the clan give to Okonkwo when he kills the youngest son of Ezeudu? Justify your answer.
This section contains 1,407 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)