|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While talking with Okoye about the war, Unkona changes the subject to which topic?
(a) Ancestral feasts
(c) Heavy rains
2. Who is the first man Okonkwo works for as a share-cropper ?
(d) Ogbuefi Udo
3. What is the first trial's dispute set before Evil Forest and the egwugwu?
(a) The case of a man being murdered and left by the side of the road by his brother.
(b) The case of one man stealing yams from the barn of another.
(c) The case of Mgbafo running away from her husband, Uzowulu, because he beat her and caused her to miscarry. Mgbafo's relatives refuse to give him back the bride-price because he beats her.
(d) The case of a mother beating her child to death.
4. What is the emergency that the great orator announces at the meeting in the marketplace?
(a) The yam harvest of one of the village celebrities is stolen from his barn.
(b) The wife of Ogbuefi Udo is murdered in Mbaino when she goes to market.
(c) The powerful medicine woman of Umuofia dies during the night.
(d) The warriors of Mbaino raid one of the villages of Umuofia.
5. How is the weather during the first growing season that Okonkwo starts share-cropping for Nwakibie?
(a) Some good days, and some bad: the yams grow, but not to their potential. Some days were too hot and some rains too severe.
(b) The best growing weather ever: yams flourish with the nightly rains and sunny days.
(c) The worst in memory: late rains and scorching sun kill the yams, then torrential downpours wash the seeds away.
(d) The beginning of the season is poor weather for growing yams, but the second planting of the season grows huge yams, sweet and plump.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Okonkwo have any patience with his father?
2. What does Okonkwo bring back from the bush while Ezinma lays sick in Ekwefi's hut?
3. Who are the two groups of people who stand facing the elders at the ceremonial trial?
4. What descends on the land of Okonkwo, darkens the sky, settles on the rooftops, and breaks mighty tree branches under them?
5. How does eighteen-year-old, Okonkwo, bring honor to his village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree with Okonkwo when he gives the fatal blow to Ikemefuna with his machete?
2. Describe the Week of Peace celebrated in Umuofia . How does Okonkwo violate this sacred peace and what are the consequences?
3. Is it evident that the tribal rituals of marriage are important for not only the wedding couple, but the entire village?
4. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in being ashamed of his father? Explain why.
5. Explain what role the egwuwu, the ancestral spirits of the clan, has in the public trials of the nine villages of the clan.
6. Okonkwo's father dies in debt, with no titles to his name. Relate why Okonkwo does not have to worry that his father's reputation will be held against him.
7. Describe how Okonkwo goes against his nature when he goes to find Ikwefi at the sacred cave.
8. Why do you think so many people in Umuofia gather with excitement to watch the wrestling matches?
9. Summarize how the people pass the time during the rainy season.
10. Describe why Okonkwo is considered a wealthy man by Umuofia's standards.
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)