|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Unkona change the subject to music when he and Oybe are discussing the impending war with the village of Mbaino?
(a) Unkona is a coward and can't stand the sight of blood.
(b) Unkona is afraid to think about people of his village being hurt.
(c) Unkona knows he would have to leave his family to fight in the war.
(d) Unkona wants to stay home to take care of his yam harvest.
2. Why does Okonkwo insult Osugo at a meeting by calling him a woman?
(a) Osugo is making womanly hand gestures during the meeting.
(b) Osugo is talking in a feminine voice.
(c) Okonkwo calls Osugo a woman because Osugo has no titles and contradicted what Okonkwo had been saying.
(d) Osugo is complaining and whining.
3. Why does Okonkwo beat his second wife, Ojiugo, during the sacred Week of Peace?
(a) She disagrees with what Okonkwo has to say.
(b) She is caught with another man.
(c) She is at a friend's house and does not prepare Okonkwo's afternoon meal.
(d) She cooks a meal that Okonkwo does not like.
4. What ultimatum is dispatched to Mbaino as a consequence of the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
(a) Delivery to Umuofia a year's worth of the yam harvest as a peace offering.
(b) Deliver the head of the murderer to the people of Umuofia.
(c) The sacrificial offering of one of the daughters of Mbaino.
(d) Choose between war or the offer of a young man and a virgin from Mbaino.
5. What is the decision of the egwugwu after hearing the case for Mgbafo's family against Uzowulu?
(a) The bride-price is to be returned to Uzowulu.
(b) The bride-price is not to be paid back to Uzowulu.
(c) Uzowulu is warned never to beat a woman again or he will be mutilated.
(d) Uzowulu is to bring a pot of wine to Mgbafo's family and beg that his wife be returned to him. Mgbafo's family is to return her to Uzowulu when he brings the wine to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Unoka react when Okoye asks him to repay the two hundred cowries owed to him?
2. What happens to twins born in Umuofia?
3. What does Okagbue, the medicine man, dig up from under the orange tree that makes the people of the village believe that Ezinma will live to adulthood?
4. What is the festival that gives thanks to Ani, the earth goddess and source of fertility?
5. Where does Chielo bring Ezinma?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the role of the women during the New Yam Festival.
2. Why don't the people want an even wrestling match, ending in a tie?
3. In your opinion, what is the biggest factor that makes Ikemefuna accept the fact that he is not returning to his homeland?
4. Explain how Okonkwo's stern attitude changes when he is awakened in the night because Ezinma is sick.
5. Summarize how the people pass the time during the rainy season.
6. Explain why Okoye, Unoka's friend, is considered a successful man.
7. Do you agree with the old man who said that Okonkwo's palm-kernels had been cracked for him by a benevolent spirit? Justify your answer.
8. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in being ashamed of his father? Explain why.
9. Determine the point of view of Mbaino with regard to settling the dispute with Umuofia over the murder of Ezeugo.
10. Predict what might happen later in the book from the conversation of Obierika, Machi, and Okonkwo when they talk about "what is good in one place is bad in another . . ." and that the polite name for leprosy is "white skin".
This section contains 1,432 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)