|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first man Okonkwo works for as a share-cropper ?
(d) Ogbuefi Udo
2. The punishment for breaking the sacred peace changes through the years. What happened to a man that broke the Week of Peace in the past?
(a) He was hanged in the marketplace for all to see.
(b) He was tied in the village marketplace and each member of the clan spat on him.
(c) He was dragged on the ground through the village until dead.
(d) He was exiled from Umuofia, considered to be dead to all the clan.
3. Anasi is Nwakibie's first wife, which makes her the ruler over the other wives of Nwakibie. She is the only wife who can wear her husband's titles. Where are the titles worn on Anasi?
(a) On a necklace.
(b) In a hair piece.
(c) Tattooed on her upper arm.
(d) On an anklet.
4. Okonkwo's friend, Obierika, is celebrating his daughter's uri. Why does this day put the entire neighborhood into a festive air?
(a) It is the day his daughter will practice for the wedding ceremony, followed by a celebration.
(b) It is the day when his daughter's suitor brings palm-wine to her parents and her entire group of kinsmen, umunna. Everyone is invited, but the central figures are the bride and her mother.
(c) It is the day his daughtor's suitor brings the whole neighborhood to see the hut where he and his bride will be living.
(d) It is the day his daughter's suitor will pay the bride-price and everyone will celebrate.
5. As the drums sound and the flutes blast, what appears out of the egwugwu house?
(a) The Oracle of the Hills and the Caves
(b) The medicine man
(c) The spirits of the ancestors emerge, followed by nine egwugwu, the masked spirits of the nine villages
(d) The priestess
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Okonkwo act for two days after Ikemefuna's death?
2. After speaking with the elders of nine villages, what does Okonkwo tell Ikemefuna about what is going to happen to him?
3. Ekwefi awakes Okonkwo early in the morning pounding on his door. What is she anxious to tell him?
4. Nine out of ten of Ekwefi's children die in infancy. After the second death, Okonkwo goes to the medicine man to find out why this is happening. What explanation does the diviner give?
5. What are the things that Okonkwo fears most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Okonkwo's stern attitude changes when he is awakened in the night because Ezinma is sick.
2. Describe how Okonkwo goes against his nature when he goes to find Ikwefi at the sacred cave.
3. Who do you think benefits from the judgment of the egwuwu in the trial of Uzowulu and his wife and family and why?
4. Predict what might happen later in the book from the conversation of Obierika, Machi, and Okonkwo when they talk about "what is good in one place is bad in another . . ." and that the polite name for leprosy is "white skin".
5. Okonkwo's father dies in debt, with no titles to his name. Relate why Okonkwo does not have to worry that his father's reputation will be held against him.
6. Explain why sharecropping is a very difficult way to get ahead for Okonkwo, and how it impacts his parents and sisters.
7. Do you agree with the old man who said that Okonkwo's palm-kernels had been cracked for him by a benevolent spirit? Justify your answer.
8. Do you agree with Okonkwo when he gives the fatal blow to Ikemefuna with his machete?
9. Describe why Okonkwo is considered a wealthy man by Umuofia's standards.
10. Is it evident that the tribal rituals of marriage are important for not only the wedding couple, but the entire village?
This section contains 1,406 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)