|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Okonkwo and the men of Umuofia take Ikemefuna deep into the forest and kill him with machetes. Who gives the final thrust of the machete that ends Ikemefuna's life?
(d) Ogbuefi Ezendu
2. Who appears in front of Ekwefi as she waits tearfully outside Agbala's cave?
(c) Nwoye's mother
3. Why does Okoye need to collect a past debt from Unkona?
(a) To buy yams for his three wives.
(b) To help pay for the expensive Idemili title ceremony.
(c) To buy a new ogene, the musical instrument Okoye played.
(d) Okoye needs money to help him overcome his failures.
4. How long is Ikemenfuna in Okonkwo's care?
(a) Twelve years
(b) Three months
(c) Two days
(d) Three years
5. Under what circumstances will the people of Umuofia consult Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves?
(a) To ask for wealth, prosperity, and many newborn sons.
(b) To ask for a cure for a fatal disease.
(c) To find out if their wives are being faithful.
(d) When they are followed by misfortune, when they have a dispute with their neighbors, to see their futures, and to talk to the spirits.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Okonkwo insult Osugo at a meeting by calling him a woman?
2. Who is the powerful orator that informs the ten thousand men of the emergency facing the nine villages of Umuofia?
3. What is used to inform all the men of the Umuofia to meet in the market place the following morning?
4. Okonkwo is very prosperous, owning a large compound with many huts, and an abundance of food. Ikemefuna is given to Okonkwo to live with him until the clan decides Ikemefuna's fate. How does Ikemefuna react to living with Okonkwo?
5. What is the emergency that the great orator announces at the meeting in the marketplace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the stories of men to the stories of women in Umuofia.
2. Explain how Ekwefi defies the traditions of the clan when Chielo takes Ezinma to Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
3. Explain how Okonkwo's stern attitude changes when he is awakened in the night because Ezinma is sick.
4. Do you agree with the old man who said that Okonkwo's palm-kernels had been cracked for him by a benevolent spirit? Justify your answer.
5. Evaluate Okonkwo's reputation in the nine villages of Umuofia.
6. Determine the point of view of Mbaino with regard to settling the dispute with Umuofia over the murder of Ezeugo.
7. Summarize the role of the women during the New Yam Festival.
8. What is the tradition the in-laws must do for the uri?
9. Why do you think so many people in Umuofia gather with excitement to watch the wrestling matches?
10. Do you agree with Okonkwo when he gives the fatal blow to Ikemefuna with his machete?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)