|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Okonkwo insult Osugo at a meeting by calling him a woman?
(a) Osugo is talking in a feminine voice.
(b) Okonkwo calls Osugo a woman because Osugo has no titles and contradicted what Okonkwo had been saying.
(c) Osugo is complaining and whining.
(d) Osugo is making womanly hand gestures during the meeting.
2. What does Ekwefi do after Chielo carries Ezinma away on her back?
(a) She runs into her hut in despair.
(b) She follows Chielo.
(c) She screams at Okonkwo to go bring Ezinma back.
(d) She runs to the other wives for solace.
3. Who is the first man Okonkwo works for as a share-cropper ?
(b) Ogbuefi Udo
4. Why doesn't Okonkwo have any patience with his father?
(a) Unkona spoils his wife and children, providing them with too much food and money.
(b) Unkona is overly ambitious and driven to earn the highest titles in the land.
(c) Unoka is lazy, a debtor, and a failure.
(d) Unkona is a great warrior who is always away at war.
5. What is the emergency that the great orator announces at the meeting in the marketplace?
(a) The wife of Ogbuefi Udo is murdered in Mbaino when she goes to market.
(b) The powerful medicine woman of Umuofia dies during the night.
(c) The warriors of Mbaino raid one of the villages of Umuofia.
(d) The yam harvest of one of the village celebrities is stolen from his barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Okonkwo and the men of Umuofia take Ikemefuna deep into the forest and kill him with machetes. Who gives the final thrust of the machete that ends Ikemefuna's life?
2. Okonkwo of Umuofia is the emissary of war to Mbaino. What does Mbaino give him as an offering for the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
3. What is a man who holds the ozo title forbidden to do?
4. What does Okonkwo bring back from the bush while Ezinma lays sick in Ekwefi's hut?
5. How does eighteen-year-old, Okonkwo, bring honor to his village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why Okonkwo is considered a wealthy man by Umuofia's standards.
2. Why do you think so many people in Umuofia gather with excitement to watch the wrestling matches?
3. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in reaction when he thinks his second wife, Ekwefi, killed a banana tree during the New Yam Festival? Explain.
4. Explain why Okoye, Unoka's friend, is considered a successful man.
5. Why don't the people want an even wrestling match, ending in a tie?
6. Explain why sharecropping is a very difficult way to get ahead for Okonkwo, and how it impacts his parents and sisters.
7. In your opinion, what is the biggest factor that makes Ikemefuna accept the fact that he is not returning to his homeland?
8. Do you agree with Okonkwo when he gives the fatal blow to Ikemefuna with his machete?
9. Evaluate Okonkwo's frame of mind after the destruction of the yam crop.
10. Describe how Okonkwo continues to worry about his son Nwoye, especially after the death of Ikemefuna.
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)