|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the only time that Unkona is not haggard and mournful?
(a) After paying off his debts.
(b) When fighting for his village against the village of Mbaino.
(c) When drinking and playing his flute.
(d) When providing food for his wife and children.
2. What ultimatum is dispatched to Mbaino as a consequence of the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
(a) Delivery to Umuofia a year's worth of the yam harvest as a peace offering.
(b) Choose between war or the offer of a young man and a virgin from Mbaino.
(c) Deliver the head of the murderer to the people of Umuofia.
(d) The sacrificial offering of one of the daughters of Mbaino.
3. Okonkwo is sitting in his obi with Ikemefuna and Nwoye, eating dried locusts when Ogbuefi Ezeudu comes with a message. What is the message?
(a) Nwoye and Ikemefuna are to be declared by Umuofia as brothers for life.
(b) Ikemefuna is to remain in Okonkwo's household as a servant for the rest of his life.
(c) Umuofia decides to kill Ikemefuna. The Oracle of the Hills pronounces it. Okonkwo is not to take part in the killing because the boy calls him father.
(d) Ikemefuna is to be given all the rights of an adopted son to Okonkwo.
4. Where does Chielo bring Ezinma?
(a) To the yam fields
(b) To the village of Umuachi, then turns around and continues back to the hills of Agbala
(c) To where dead children are buried
(d) Deep into the forest
5. When Okonkwo was a boy, his father, Unoka, consults Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills, about why his crops always fail.. What reply did the Oracle give?
(a) That Unoka has offended the gods and that is why his crop fail.
(b) That he should stay home and offer sacrifices to the gods.
(c) That Unoka sows his yams on exhausted land rather than making the effort to clear new land.
(d) That he angers his ancestors and they plague his land.
Short Answer Questions
1. Obiageli, Nwoye's sister, comes home crying because her water pot is broken. How did her waterpot break?
2. What is the emergency that the great orator announces at the meeting in the marketplace?
3. Why do all the women abandon preparing the food for the uri and rush off to the Obierika's crop field?
4. What does Okagbue, the medicine man, dig up from under the orange tree that makes the people of the village believe that Ezinma will live to adulthood?
5. One night, the storytelling of Okonkwo 's wives and children stops because the priestess, Chielo is shouting in a high-pitched voice. What does she tell Okonkwo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Ekwefi defies the traditions of the clan when Chielo takes Ezinma to Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
2. Describe how Okonkwo goes against his nature when he goes to find Ikwefi at the sacred cave.
3. Explain how Ikemefuna is a good friend to Obiageli on the day of the New Yam Festival.
4. In your opinion, what is the biggest factor that makes Ikemefuna accept the fact that he is not returning to his homeland?
5. Why do you think so many people in Umuofia gather with excitement to watch the wrestling matches?
6. Relate how Okonkwo is able to plant his first yam-seeds when his father gives him nothing.
7. Determine the point of view of Mbaino with regard to settling the dispute with Umuofia over the murder of Ezeugo.
8. Compare the stories of men to the stories of women in Umuofia.
9. Explain why Okoye, Unoka's friend, is considered a successful man.
10. Explain what role the egwuwu, the ancestral spirits of the clan, has in the public trials of the nine villages of the clan.
This section contains 1,544 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)