|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one passion that rules Okonkwo's life?
(a) To be affluent in money, wives, and children.
(b) To hate everything his father loved.
(c) To make sure his barn was always filled with yams.
(d) To obtain more wealth than anyone else in Umuofia.
2. Anasi is Nwakibie's first wife, which makes her the ruler over the other wives of Nwakibie. She is the only wife who can wear her husband's titles. Where are the titles worn on Anasi?
(a) Tattooed on her upper arm.
(b) On a necklace.
(c) On an anklet.
(d) In a hair piece.
3. The first day of the new year is celebrated with feasting and fellowship. What takes place on the second day of the new year?
(a) A play enacting the planting of yams put on by the children of all the villages in Umuofia.
(b) The gathering of all the village musicians for singing and dancing.
(c) The great wrestling match between Okonkwo's village and their neighbors.
(d) A gathering in the marketplace for the preparation of the new yams for planting.
4. When is the only time that Unkona is not haggard and mournful?
(a) When fighting for his village against the village of Mbaino.
(b) When drinking and playing his flute.
(c) After paying off his debts.
(d) When providing food for his wife and children.
5. Ezinma tells her mother, Ekwefi, that her upper eyelid is twitching. What does Ekwefi tell Ezinma the significance of the twitch is?
(a) It means Ezinma will see something.
(b) It means Ezinma is going to cry.
(c) It means the rains will come early this year.
(d) It means Ezinma will have many children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the traditional events when night falls and it is time to end Obierika's daughter's uri?
2. Why is Okonkwo's twelve-year-old son, Nwoye, causing him great anxiety?
3. The Ibo people consider conversation to be very important. What form of conversation do they regard the most highly?
4. How do the women of the clan prepare for the Feast of the New Yam?
5. Why do the people of Umuofia observe the Week of Peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Okonkwo's father dies in debt, with no titles to his name. Relate why Okonkwo does not have to worry that his father's reputation will be held against him.
2. How do the people of Umuofia justify mutilating the bodies of children who die in infancy or early childhood, refusing to bury them but leaving them in the forest?
3. In your opinion, what is the biggest factor that makes Ikemefuna accept the fact that he is not returning to his homeland?
4. How do the words of the missionaries impact Okonkwo's son, Nwoye?
5. Explain how Ikemefuna is a good friend to Obiageli on the day of the New Yam Festival.
6. Describe why Okonkwo is considered a wealthy man by Umuofia's standards.
7. Do you think Okonkwo is justified in being ashamed of his father? Explain why.
8. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
9. Analyze Okonkwo's feelings for Enzinma and Ekwefi, and how they relate to his fear of weakness.
10. Describe the weather patterns the year Okonkwo promises to farm the eight hundred yam seeds from Nwakibie, and how they affect the yams.
This section contains 1,535 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)