|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Okoye need to collect a past debt from Unkona?
(a) To buy yams for his three wives.
(b) Okoye needs money to help him overcome his failures.
(c) To help pay for the expensive Idemili title ceremony.
(d) To buy a new ogene, the musical instrument Okoye played.
2. Which men fight in the final wrestling match of the day?
(a) The wealthiest men from each of the nine villages.
(b) Men elected in each of the nine villages.
(c) The leaders of the teams are made up of the best wrestlers in the nine villages.
(d) Men chosen by the elders from each of the nine villages.
3. Nwoye's mother calls Ezinma "Ezigbo" when she brings the fire to Nwoye's mother's hut. What does "Ezigbo" mean?
(a) Helpful child
(b) Good work
(c) The good one
(d) Good girl
4. While talking with Okoye about the war, Unkona changes the subject to which topic?
(a) Ancestral feasts
(d) Heavy rains
5. Who is the priestess of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, in real life?
(a) Anasi, Okonkwo's first wife
(b) Chielo, a widow with two children
(c) Noywe's mother
(d) Ekwefi, the second wife of Okonkwo
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the people of Umuofia observe the Week of Peace?
2. Ekwefi awakes Okonkwo early in the morning pounding on his door. What is she anxious to tell him?
3. After speaking with the elders of nine villages, what does Okonkwo tell Ikemefuna about what is going to happen to him?
4. Why does Nwakibie trust Okonkwo to farm his yam seeds?
5. What ultimatum is dispatched to Mbaino as a consequence of the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the positive things the white man brings to Umuofia?
2. What is Okonkwo's attitude after he is released from prison?
3. Predict what might happen later in the book from the conversation of Obierika, Machi, and Okonkwo when they talk about "what is good in one place is bad in another . . ." and that the polite name for leprosy is "white skin".
4. Okonkwo's seven year exile is over and he decides to go home to his fatherland. Do you think he should stay in Mbanta with his mother's family? Why.
5. What is the importance of the ekwe to the people of Umuofia?
6. Okonkwo believes a man cannot rise above his chi, or destiny. Explain why you agree or disagree with Okonkwo's belief.
7. Who do you think benefits from the judgment of the egwuwu in the trial of Uzowulu and his wife and family and why?
8. Describe how Obierika proves to be a true friend to Okonkwo, even after Okonkwo is exiled.
9. Analyze Okonkwo's feelings for Enzinma and Ekwefi, and how they relate to his fear of weakness.
10. Explain why sharecropping is a very difficult way to get ahead for Okonkwo, and how it impacts his parents and sisters.
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)