|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people of Umuofia fear in the night?
(a) Evil spirits, dangerous animals, and snakes.
(b) Kidnappers looking for children to sell as slaves.
(c) Bandits in search of money and food.
(d) Rogue warriors from Mbaino.
2. Who is the first man Okonkwo works for as a share-cropper ?
(c) Ogbuefi Udo
3. How does Ezinma, the daughter of Okonkwo's second wife, bring fire to Nwoye's mother's hut?
(a) Ekwefi, Okonkwo's second wife, puts live coals into a piece of broken pot and Ezinma carries it to Nwoye's mother.
(b) Ekwefi, Okonkwo's second wife, makes a torch of banana leaves and palm oil, and gives it to Ezinma to carry to Nwoye's mother.
(c) Ekwefi, Okonkwo's second wife, gives Ezinma a clay pot with burning leaves inside to carry to Nwoye's mother's hut.
(d) Ezinma carries a flaming stick across the compound to Nwoye's mother's hut.
4. How can an observer tell if a communal ceremony is only for the men of the village?
(a) There are guards stationed around the communal ceremony, preventing the women from viewing.
(b) There are no women present anywhere near the ceremony.
(c) The titled men and elders sit on stools while the women look on from the fringe like outsiders.
(d) The women gather away from the ceremony, and chat with one another.
5. Which of the spectators of the wrestling match are allowed to sit around the huge circle of the wrestling ring?
(a) Pregnant women.
(b) The elders, grandees, a few early comers in the stands, and the drummers.
(c) Women and children.
(d) The wrestlers waiting for their matches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Okonkwo of Umuofia is the emissary of war to Mbaino. What does Mbaino give him as an offering for the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
2. Why do all the women abandon preparing the food for the uri and rush off to the Obierika's crop field?
3. Why does Okonkwo worry about his son, Nwoye?
4. Ezinma offers to bring Okonkwo's chair to the wrestling match for him. Why did he refuse his daughter's offer?
5. What is the festival that gives thanks to Ani, the earth goddess and source of fertility?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the differences in the attitudes of the people of Umuofia with regard to a dark night and a moonlit night.
2. Evaluate Okonkwo's reputation in the nine villages of Umuofia.
3. Do you agree with Okonkwo when he gives the fatal blow to Ikemefuna with his machete?
4. Describe the Week of Peace celebrated in Umuofia . How does Okonkwo violate this sacred peace and what are the consequences?
5. Summarize how the people pass the time during the rainy season.
6. Describe why Okonkwo is considered a wealthy man by Umuofia's standards.
7. Who do you think benefits from the judgment of the egwuwu in the trial of Uzowulu and his wife and family and why?
8. Why don't the people want an even wrestling match, ending in a tie?
9. Describe how Okonkwo goes against his nature when he goes to find Ikwefi at the sacred cave.
10. Is it evident that the tribal rituals of marriage are important for not only the wedding couple, but the entire village?
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)