|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the god that the people of Umuofia believe is the creator of the all the world and the other gods?
2. Why does Uchendu say, "Never kill a man who says nothing" when Obierika tells them about the white man the Abame killed?
(a) The white man did not said anything to the Abame and according to Uchendu, silence is ominous.
(b) He may not be able to speak your language.
(c) He may hold secrets you need to learn.
(d) Because he did not defended himself and may be innocent.
3. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
(a) They are unwilling to hunt.
(b) They do not understand the bond of kinship.
(c) They follow the old ways instead of the new religion.
(d) They are poor farmers.
4. What is the name of the first woman to join the Christian missionaries?
(a) Nwoye's mother
5. What does Mr. Smith tell the people about ogbanje, the evil children who are born over and over again to plague their mothers?
(a) That the stories are most likely true.
(b) That the stories are spread by the Devil to lead men astray.
(c) That the stories are okay to believe in.
(d) That the stories resemble the Christian beliefs.
6. Where does Obierika get the bags of cowries that he brings to Okonkwo?
(a) He collects the money from the clan members who favor Okonkwo.
(b) He sells Okonkwo's yams and seed yams.
(c) He gives Okonkwo some of the cowries he saved through the years.
(d) He sells Okonkwo's compound and brings him the money.
7. When Aneto kills Oduche over a land dispute, what does the white man's government decide?
(a) To imprison Aneto for life
(b) To hang Aneto
(c) To whip Aneto
(d) To exile Aneto and his family
8. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
(a) They believe in the very first mother of all men, giving life to all the men who came after.
(b) They are referring to Mother Earth and how she is fertile for the yams.
(c) When a man is sorrowful and bitter, he seeks refuge in his motherland because his mother is there to protect him. It is where she is buried.
(d) They are referring to the mother of all gods, guiding them to rule the world.
9. What does Okonkwo serve at the feast for all the umunna, the descendants of Okolo?
(a) Yams wrapped in palm leaves and roasted with palm oil
(b) Fish from the stream, and roasted locusts
(c) Three goats, fowls, foo-foo, yam pottage, egusi soup, bitter-leaf soup, palm-wine and kola nuts
(d) Roasted locusts and small wild birds
10. What punishment does the District Commissioner give the six leaders of Umuofia?
(a) Give all the yams in their barns to the commissioner
(b) Collect two hundred bags of cowries from the people as a fine
(c) Destruction of the leader's compounds
(d) Beheading in the public market
11. What happens to the six leaders of Umuofia during their meeting with the District Commissioner?
(a) They are treated with kindness and respect.
(b) They are put in handcuffs, and led to the guardroom.
(c) The Commissioner and leaders agree to peace.
(d) They share a feast with the District Commissioner.
12. What does Okonkwo mourn when he returns to his clan?
(a) The clan is poor.
(b) The clan is too aggressive and angry.
(c) The clan is breaking up and falling apart.
(d) The clan is malnourished and weak.
13. What does the oldest member of the clan say is the reason for gathering for Okonkwo's feast?
(a) To show off the wealth of food
(b) To save kinsman from starving
(c) Because it is good for kinsman to do so
(d) To gather under the moonlight
14. What is the name of the man that the ekwe announces to Umuofia?
15. Why does Obierika go to visit Okonkwo a second time, two years after the first?
(a) To bring more cowries and some yam seeds to his friend, Okonkwo
(b) To find out why Okonkwo's son, Nwoye, joined the white missionaries.
(c) He misses his good friend, Okonkwo, and thinks he should tell him that missionaries had come.
(d) To find out if all is well with Okonkwo and his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Okonkwo do when the court messengers come to the meeting, telling the clan to stop?
2. What is an osu?
3. What is the nickname of kotma, the court messengers who guard the prison which holds people who break the white man's law?
4. Who is called the Crystal of Beauty in Mbanta, growing into a healthy, buoyant young woman?
5. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)