|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
(a) Forget about his past, and denounce his homeland.
(b) Never return to his homeland, but build his future in Mbanta.
(c) Comfort his wives and children and take them back to his fatherland after seven years.
(d) To go back to his clan and beg to be forgiven.
2. What is Okonkwo afraid will happen to his male children after he dies?
(a) They will never go back to their homeland again.
(b) They will follow in Nwoye's footsteps and abandon the gods of their ancestors.
(c) They will be killed by neighboring enemies.
(d) They will forget the lessons Okonkwo taught them.
3. Why does Obierika tell Okonkwo that it is too late to fight the white man and drive him from the land?
(a) Because their own men and sons have joined the white man's religion and government.
(b) The white men are more courageous than the men of Umuofia.
(c) There are too many white men.
(d) The white men have powerful spirits who protected them.
4. What does the angry band of egwugwu do to Enoch's compound and the Christian church as revenge for unmasking one of the ancestral spirits?
(a) They murder all Enoch's family and the Christians in the church.
(b) They leave the buildings alone and try to find Enoch.
(c) They burn them to the ground.
(d) They rub red clay and palm oil all over the buildings.
5. Where does Okonkwo bring his family after being banished from his village?
(a) To an enemy village asking to be accepted
(b) To wander the forests and live off the land
(c) To his mother's kinsmen in Mbanta
(d) To live in a cave in the hills
6. What does Nwoye do after his father, Okonkwo, beats him for being with the missionaries?
(a) He leaves his family to go the the Christian school in Umuofia.
(b) He screams for his mother's help.
(c) He swears that he will never go near the missionary church again.
(d) He begs his father to stop beating him.
7. Every man learns the language of the ekwe. How does the wooden instrument let the people know exactly who has died?
(a) It announces the name of the man over and over again.
(b) First it announces the name of the clan, then it names the village, and finally it names the man.
(c) It spells out the letters in the name.
(d) It only announces the name of the village.
8. What is Okonkwo's punishment for killing Ezeudu's son?
(a) One of Okonkwo's sons is to be offered as sacrifice.
(b) All of Okonkwo's sons are to be executed.
(c) Beheading and disgrace.
(d) He and his wives and children have to flee the land.
9. What news does Obierika bring to Okonkwo and Uchendu about the Abame clan?
(a) The clan befriended the white men who arrived and now were affluent.
(b) The clan gave five of their daughters to the white men who came to the village.
(c) The clan offered the white men yam seeds, so they could build their own farms.
(d) The clan has been wiped out by white men who surrounded the market and shot everyone.
10. What is the name of the first woman to join the Christian missionaries?
(d) Nwoye's mother
11. What is an osu?
(a) A very brave and accomplished hunter
(b) One of the elders, given a hut in the center of the village
(c) A holy man, revered by the people
(d) A person dedicated to a god, set apart and taboo forever
12. How are the six leaders of Umuofia treated while in captivity?
(a) They are given anything they asked for.
(b) They are whipped every day.
(c) They are treated with kindness and respect.
(d) Their heads are shaved. They are given nothing to eat or drink for three days, and are not allowed to go out and relieve themselves.
13. What does Okonkwo vow to do after being released from the white man's prison?
(a) He vows never to be a source of trouble again.
(b) He vows to convert to Christianity.
(c) He vows to move away from Umuofia.
(d) He swears vengeance.
14. What punishment does the District Commissioner give the six leaders of Umuofia?
(a) Collect two hundred bags of cowries from the people as a fine
(b) Destruction of the leader's compounds
(c) Give all the yams in their barns to the commissioner
(d) Beheading in the public market
15. What does Uchendu, the younger brother of Okonkwo's mother, give to Okonkwo after he comes looking for refuge?
(a) Advice on living in the forest
(b) A basket of yams and palm-wine for his travels
(c) A gun to protect him and his family during their exile
(d) A plot of ground, and two or three pieces of land
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Umuofia the next time Obierika comes to visit Okonkwo, two years later?
2. What does Okonkwo feel the greatest obstacle to going to war against the white man is?
3. What is the first thing Mr. Kiaga orders the outcasts to do if they want to remain in the new religion?
4. What does Mr. Brown build in Umuofia?
5. What happens to the six leaders of Umuofia once the fine is paid to the District Commissioner?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)