|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the men of Umuofia meet in the marketplace after the village crier beats the message on the ogene?
(a) They decide against collecting any cowries to release the six leaders.
(b) They decide to negotiate with the District Commissioner.
(c) They decide to collect the fine immediately to release their six leaders.
(d) They decide to offer half of the required fine to release the six leaders.
2. What does Okonkwo do when the court messengers come to the meeting, telling the clan to stop?
(a) He turns and asks the clan to stop the meeting.
(b) He tries to convince the messengers to join the meeting peacefully.
(c) He leaves the meeting, afraid of being arrested again.
(d) He beheads one of the messengers with his machete.
3. What is the other thing that the white man brought to Umuofia besides religion?
(a) Wives for the clan
4. How does Ekwefi and Ezinma harvest the cassava for the feast?
(a) The shake the tree, and the cassava fall to the ground.
(b) They shake every tree with a long stick, bend down to cut the stem, and dig out the tuber.
(c) They pick the cassava off the tops of the trees.
(d) They cut the cassava off the trees with machetes.
5. What does Okonkwo send to Obierika as he enters his final year of exile?
(a) Money to build two huts on Okonkwo's old compound where he and his family will live until he builds more
(b) bag of cowries to repay Obierika for the money he gave him through the years
(c) Four hundred yam seeds to sow in Okonkwo's old field, so he and his family will have food when they returned from exile
(d) Money to build a obi for Okonkwo for when he and his family return
6. When the village meeting is called after the six leaders are released from the white man's prison, what does Okika say the clan should do?
(a) All come to peace with the white man
(b) Move and build a village elsewhere
(c) Become Christians
(d) Root out the evil of the white man
7. Who says that the Abame were fools and had been warned of danger, and that they should have brought guns and machetes with them to the market?
8. What does Okonkwo serve at the feast for all the umunna, the descendants of Okolo?
(a) Three goats, fowls, foo-foo, yam pottage, egusi soup, bitter-leaf soup, palm-wine and kola nuts
(b) Fish from the stream, and roasted locusts
(c) Yams wrapped in palm leaves and roasted with palm oil
(d) Roasted locusts and small wild birds
9. What is Okonkwo afraid will happen to his male children after he dies?
(a) They will never go back to their homeland again.
(b) They will follow in Nwoye's footsteps and abandon the gods of their ancestors.
(c) They will forget the lessons Okonkwo taught them.
(d) They will be killed by neighboring enemies.
10. What is Okonkwo's punishment for killing Ezeudu's son?
(a) One of Okonkwo's sons is to be offered as sacrifice.
(b) He and his wives and children have to flee the land.
(c) Beheading and disgrace.
(d) All of Okonkwo's sons are to be executed.
11. What is Nwoye's name changed to after he joins the Christians?
12. What is an osu?
(a) A very brave and accomplished hunter
(b) One of the elders, given a hut in the center of the village
(c) A holy man, revered by the people
(d) A person dedicated to a god, set apart and taboo forever
13. What is the first thing Okonkwo plans to do when he returns to his clan?
(a) Rebuild his compound better than it was before
(b) Move in with a neighbor until he could rebuild
(c) Go to each neighboring hut, apologizing for the past
(d) Have his wives cook meals for the village
14. Every man learns the language of the ekwe. How does the wooden instrument let the people know exactly who has died?
(a) It only announces the name of the village.
(b) It announces the name of the man over and over again.
(c) It spells out the letters in the name.
(d) First it announces the name of the clan, then it names the village, and finally it names the man.
15. What does Mr. Smith tell the people about ogbanje, the evil children who are born over and over again to plague their mothers?
(a) That the stories are spread by the Devil to lead men astray.
(b) That the stories are most likely true.
(c) That the stories resemble the Christian beliefs.
(d) That the stories are okay to believe in.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Obierika bring for Okonkwo two years after Okonkwo had been exiled?
2. What question does Njide, the eldest sister of Uchendu, ask of her brother's bride during the isa-ife?
3. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
4. What does the angry band of egwugwu do to Enoch's compound and the Christian church as revenge for unmasking one of the ancestral spirits?
5. Who is the missionary that replaces Mr. Brown in Umuofia?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)