|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Obierika bring for Okonkwo two years after Okonkwo had been exiled?
(a) Kola nuts and palm-wine
(b) Bags full of cowries
(c) Woven baskets of yams
(d) Yam seeds
2. Who touches off the conflict between church and clan in Umuofia that has been building since Mr. Brown left?
(c) Mr. Smith
3. What does Okika suggest they do that their fathers had never done before?
(a) Allow their children to attend the white man's school.
(b) Accept their fate, taking on the white man's ways.
(c) Give up their own religious beliefs and accept Christianity.
(d) Fight against their own brothers who have taken the side of the white man.
4. How many missionaries go to Mbanta?
(a) Three black missionaries
(b) Two white missionaries
(c) Six and one of them is white
(d) Three white missionaries
5. Why does Obierika go to visit Okonkwo a second time, two years after the first?
(a) To bring more cowries and some yam seeds to his friend, Okonkwo
(b) To find out if all is well with Okonkwo and his family.
(c) He misses his good friend, Okonkwo, and thinks he should tell him that missionaries had come.
(d) To find out why Okonkwo's son, Nwoye, joined the white missionaries.
6. How does Mr. Brown encourage the people to attend school?
(a) With a she-goat and hen
(b) With kola nuts and palm-wine
(c) With singlets and towels
(d) With singlets and towels
7. What happens to the six leaders of Umuofia once the fine is paid to the District Commissioner?
(a) They are imprisoned for life.
(b) They are hanged anyway.
(c) They are mutilated and set free.
(d) They are set free.
8. What does the angry band of egwugwu do to Enoch's compound and the Christian church as revenge for unmasking one of the ancestral spirits?
(a) They rub red clay and palm oil all over the buildings.
(b) They murder all Enoch's family and the Christians in the church.
(c) They burn them to the ground.
(d) They leave the buildings alone and try to find Enoch.
9. What does Mr. Smith tell the people about ogbanje, the evil children who are born over and over again to plague their mothers?
(a) That the stories are most likely true.
(b) That the stories are okay to believe in.
(c) That the stories resemble the Christian beliefs.
(d) That the stories are spread by the Devil to lead men astray.
10. What does the Abame clan do to the first white man that comes to their village?
(a) They offer vegetable soup and palm-wine to him.
(b) They rub his body with palm oil and adorn him with beads, thinking he is a god.
(c) They touch his white skin because they have never seen anything like it before.
(d) They kill him and tie his iron horse to the sacred silk-cotton tree.
11. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
(a) It is believed being buried at night will bring the dead man closer to his ancestors.
(b) The spirits announce that he has to be buried at night.
(c) He is a noble warrior with three titles to his name. A man who took titles can only be buried after dark.
(d) The oldest man of the village is always buried after dark.
12. What do the people of Mbanta expect to happen to the missionaries when they start building their church?
(a) They think many of the clan will convert to the new religion.
(b) They expect all the missionaries to get sick.
(c) They expect all the people of Mbanta to help build the church.
(d) They expect all the missionaries to die within four days.
13. What does the District Commissioner do three days after the destruction of the church?
(a) He forgives the six leaders of Umuofia and tells them to go on their way.
(b) He speaks to Mr. Smith and calls a meeting with the six leaders of Umuofia.
(c) He has the six leaders of Umuofia killed.
(d) He exiles the six leaders of Umuofia.
14. What type of clan members join the white man's religion?
(a) The women and children of the clan
(b) The elders of the clan and their families
(c) Men with no titles, efulefu, worthless and empty men
(d) The warriors of the clan, hoping the religion would keep them safe
15. What does Okonkwo vow to do after being released from the white man's prison?
(a) He swears vengeance.
(b) He vows never to be a source of trouble again.
(c) He vows to move away from Umuofia.
(d) He vows to convert to Christianity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is captivated by the message of the missionaries?
2. Who is called the Crystal of Beauty in Mbanta, growing into a healthy, buoyant young woman?
3. What happens in Umuofia the next time Obierika comes to visit Okonkwo, two years later?
4. What does Enoch do that is one of the greatest crimes a man can commit during the annual ceremony?
5. What do the rulers and elders of Mbanta decide to do about the Christians after one of the converts kills the Sacred Python?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)