|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the first woman to join the Christian missionaries?
(d) Nwoye's mother
2. What does Mr. Brown build in Umuofia?
(a) A mansion for himself
(b) A playground
(c) A school and a small hospital
(d) A town hall
3. What does the District Commissioner do three days after the destruction of the church?
(a) He has the six leaders of Umuofia killed.
(b) He exiles the six leaders of Umuofia.
(c) He speaks to Mr. Smith and calls a meeting with the six leaders of Umuofia.
(d) He forgives the six leaders of Umuofia and tells them to go on their way.
4. Where does Okonkwo bring his family after being banished from his village?
(a) To live in a cave in the hills
(b) To an enemy village asking to be accepted
(c) To wander the forests and live off the land
(d) To his mother's kinsmen in Mbanta
5. Who touches off the conflict between church and clan in Umuofia that has been building since Mr. Brown left?
(b) Mr. Smith
6. What is the final ceremony, Amikwu, Uchendu's youngest son, has to perform before getting married?
(a) Kwenu--shouts of approval
(b) Umuada--the gathering of daughters
(c) Isa-ife--the ceremony of confession
(d) Uri--the ceremony of wine bringing
7. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
(a) The birth of a child
(b) The death of a man
(c) The beginning of war
(d) The beginning of a festival
8. How many cowries do the court messengers ask the people for as payment to release their leaders?
(a) Two hundred and fifty bags
(b) Two hundred bags
(c) Three hundred bags
(d) Two hundred and ten bags
9. What does Okonkwo hope his sons will be initiated into when his family returns from exile?
(a) The Nidichi
(b) The Sacred Python society
(c) Ozo society
(d) Sacred Yam Seed society
10. What is Okonkwo's popular nickname?
(a) Flaming Heart
(b) Raging Wrestler
(c) Living Legend
(d) Roaring Flame
11. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
(a) They are unwilling to hunt.
(b) They follow the old ways instead of the new religion.
(c) They do not understand the bond of kinship.
(d) They are poor farmers.
12. How is Okonkwo going to thank his mother's people for helping him during his seven years in exile?
(a) He is going to distribute all his yam seeds to the people.
(b) He is going to give the elders a bag of cowries.
(c) He is going to leave behind one of his wives to work for the rulers and elders.
(d) He is going to have a great feast.
13. What does the oldest member of the clan say is the reason for gathering for Okonkwo's feast?
(a) Because it is good for kinsman to do so
(b) To save kinsman from starving
(c) To show off the wealth of food
(d) To gather under the moonlight
14. What type of clan members join the white man's religion?
(a) Men with no titles, efulefu, worthless and empty men
(b) The elders of the clan and their families
(c) The warriors of the clan, hoping the religion would keep them safe
(d) The women and children of the clan
15. Who is captivated by the message of the missionaries?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the angry band of egwugwu do to Enoch's compound and the Christian church as revenge for unmasking one of the ancestral spirits?
2. What is Nwoye's name changed to after he joins the Christians?
3. How does Mr. Brown encourage the people to attend school?
4. What do the missionaries tell the Mbanta people about their gods?
5. What does Obierika bring for Okonkwo two years after Okonkwo had been exiled?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)