|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Smith tell the people about ogbanje, the evil children who are born over and over again to plague their mothers?
(a) That the stories are spread by the Devil to lead men astray.
(b) That the stories are most likely true.
(c) That the stories are okay to believe in.
(d) That the stories resemble the Christian beliefs.
2. What is Okonkwo afraid will happen to his male children after he dies?
(a) They will follow in Nwoye's footsteps and abandon the gods of their ancestors.
(b) They will be killed by neighboring enemies.
(c) They will forget the lessons Okonkwo taught them.
(d) They will never go back to their homeland again.
3. When the village meeting is called after the six leaders are released from the white man's prison, what does Okika say the clan should do?
(a) Root out the evil of the white man
(b) Move and build a village elsewhere
(c) Become Christians
(d) All come to peace with the white man
4. What happens to the Christian women who go to the stream for water to wash the church with?
(a) They are chased away from the stream and whipped.
(b) They are captured and brought to the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
(c) They are allowed to get water, but can not speak to anyone.
(d) They are given water but are told it is the last time.
5. What is Nwoye's name changed to after he joins the Christians?
6. Who is captivated by the message of the missionaries?
7. What type of clan members join the white man's religion?
(a) The warriors of the clan, hoping the religion would keep them safe
(b) Men with no titles, efulefu, worthless and empty men
(c) The women and children of the clan
(d) The elders of the clan and their families
8. What news does Obierika bring to Okonkwo and Uchendu about the Abame clan?
(a) The clan gave five of their daughters to the white men who came to the village.
(b) The clan offered the white men yam seeds, so they could build their own farms.
(c) The clan has been wiped out by white men who surrounded the market and shot everyone.
(d) The clan befriended the white men who arrived and now were affluent.
9. What does Okonkwo send to Obierika as he enters his final year of exile?
(a) Four hundred yam seeds to sow in Okonkwo's old field, so he and his family will have food when they returned from exile
(b) Money to build two huts on Okonkwo's old compound where he and his family will live until he builds more
(c) Money to build a obi for Okonkwo for when he and his family return
(d) bag of cowries to repay Obierika for the money he gave him through the years
10. What event occurs that convinces the clan that the gods can fight their own battles?
(a) All the food at the church becmes infested with maggots.
(b) Okoli, the convert who is thought to have killed the Sacred Python, dies from illness.
(c) All of the converts come down with a painful rash.
(d) Mr. Kiaga becomes ill and is not able to get up for over a week.
11. What does the District Commissioner do three days after the destruction of the church?
(a) He exiles the six leaders of Umuofia.
(b) He forgives the six leaders of Umuofia and tells them to go on their way.
(c) He has the six leaders of Umuofia killed.
(d) He speaks to Mr. Smith and calls a meeting with the six leaders of Umuofia.
12. What is an osu?
(a) A person dedicated to a god, set apart and taboo forever
(b) One of the elders, given a hut in the center of the village
(c) A holy man, revered by the people
(d) A very brave and accomplished hunter
13. What does Nwoye do after his father, Okonkwo, beats him for being with the missionaries?
(a) He begs his father to stop beating him.
(b) He leaves his family to go the the Christian school in Umuofia.
(c) He swears that he will never go near the missionary church again.
(d) He screams for his mother's help.
14. Who says that the Abame were fools and had been warned of danger, and that they should have brought guns and machetes with them to the market?
15. What is Okonkwo's popular nickname?
(a) Roaring Flame
(b) Living Legend
(c) Flaming Heart
(d) Raging Wrestler
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
2. What does Okonkwo hope his sons will be initiated into when his family returns from exile?
3. How are the six leaders of Umuofia treated while in captivity?
4. What option does Ajofia, the leading egwugwu, give to Mr. Smith when they come to the church?
5. How does Ekwefi and Ezinma harvest the cassava for the feast?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)