|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Obierika bring for Okonkwo two years after Okonkwo had been exiled?
(a) Woven baskets of yams
(b) Bags full of cowries
(c) Kola nuts and palm-wine
(d) Yam seeds
2. What is the name of the god that the people of Umuofia believe is the creator of the all the world and the other gods?
3. What does Okonkwo serve at the feast for all the umunna, the descendants of Okolo?
(a) Roasted locusts and small wild birds
(b) Fish from the stream, and roasted locusts
(c) Three goats, fowls, foo-foo, yam pottage, egusi soup, bitter-leaf soup, palm-wine and kola nuts
(d) Yams wrapped in palm leaves and roasted with palm oil
4. What is the name of the man that the ekwe announces to Umuofia?
5. What does Okika suggest they do that their fathers had never done before?
(a) Allow their children to attend the white man's school.
(b) Accept their fate, taking on the white man's ways.
(c) Fight against their own brothers who have taken the side of the white man.
(d) Give up their own religious beliefs and accept Christianity.
6. What happens to the six leaders of Umuofia during their meeting with the District Commissioner?
(a) They share a feast with the District Commissioner.
(b) The Commissioner and leaders agree to peace.
(c) They are put in handcuffs, and led to the guardroom.
(d) They are treated with kindness and respect.
7. What does the District Commissioner do three days after the destruction of the church?
(a) He exiles the six leaders of Umuofia.
(b) He speaks to Mr. Smith and calls a meeting with the six leaders of Umuofia.
(c) He has the six leaders of Umuofia killed.
(d) He forgives the six leaders of Umuofia and tells them to go on their way.
8. What is Nwoye's name changed to after he joins the Christians?
9. What does Nwoye do after his father, Okonkwo, beats him for being with the missionaries?
(a) He screams for his mother's help.
(b) He leaves his family to go the the Christian school in Umuofia.
(c) He swears that he will never go near the missionary church again.
(d) He begs his father to stop beating him.
10. When the village meeting is called after the six leaders are released from the white man's prison, what does Okika say the clan should do?
(a) All come to peace with the white man
(b) Move and build a village elsewhere
(c) Root out the evil of the white man
(d) Become Christians
11. What do the missionaries tell the Mbanta people about their gods?
(a) They are wonderful, loving gods, but are not the one true God.
(b) They are gods of deceit who tell you to kill your fellows and destroy innocent children.
(c) The gods are true and should be sacrificed to for abundant crops.
(d) They are mythical, friendly gods but are not real.
12. What does Okonkwo feel the greatest obstacle to going to war against the white man is?
(a) The fear of the clan
(b) The clan is not prepared for war
(c) The cowardice of Egonwanne
(d) His own cowardice
13. What is the first thing Okonkwo plans to do when he returns to his clan?
(a) Go to each neighboring hut, apologizing for the past
(b) Rebuild his compound better than it was before
(c) Have his wives cook meals for the village
(d) Move in with a neighbor until he could rebuild
14. Why does Uchendu say, "Never kill a man who says nothing" when Obierika tells them about the white man the Abame killed?
(a) He may not be able to speak your language.
(b) The white man did not said anything to the Abame and according to Uchendu, silence is ominous.
(c) He may hold secrets you need to learn.
(d) Because he did not defended himself and may be innocent.
15. Who is the missionary that replaces Mr. Brown in Umuofia?
(a) Reverend Peter Paul
(b) Reverend Simon Peter
(c) Reverend James Smith
(d) Reverend John Paul
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
2. What is the tragedy that takes place during the final burial rites for Ezeudu while the cannon is shot and guns fired?
3. Who is called the Crystal of Beauty in Mbanta, growing into a healthy, buoyant young woman?
4. What does the oldest member of the clan say is the reason for gathering for Okonkwo's feast?
5. What does Enoch do that is one of the greatest crimes a man can commit during the annual ceremony?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)