|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who touches off the conflict between church and clan in Umuofia that has been building since Mr. Brown left?
(d) Mr. Smith
2. What does Okonkwo hope his sons will be initiated into when his family returns from exile?
(a) Ozo society
(b) Sacred Yam Seed society
(c) The Nidichi
(d) The Sacred Python society
3. What is the other thing that the white man brought to Umuofia besides religion?
(c) Wives for the clan
4. What does Okika suggest they do that their fathers had never done before?
(a) Accept their fate, taking on the white man's ways.
(b) Fight against their own brothers who have taken the side of the white man.
(c) Allow their children to attend the white man's school.
(d) Give up their own religious beliefs and accept Christianity.
5. What type of clan members join the white man's religion?
(a) Men with no titles, efulefu, worthless and empty men
(b) The warriors of the clan, hoping the religion would keep them safe
(c) The elders of the clan and their families
(d) The women and children of the clan
6. What does Mr. Brown build in Umuofia?
(a) A playground
(b) A mansion for himself
(c) A town hall
(d) A school and a small hospital
7. What does Okonkwo send to Obierika as he enters his final year of exile?
(a) Money to build a obi for Okonkwo for when he and his family return
(b) Four hundred yam seeds to sow in Okonkwo's old field, so he and his family will have food when they returned from exile
(c) Money to build two huts on Okonkwo's old compound where he and his family will live until he builds more
(d) bag of cowries to repay Obierika for the money he gave him through the years
8. What is the tragedy that takes place during the final burial rites for Ezeudu while the cannon is shot and guns fired?
(a) Ezeudu's sixteen-year-old son is killed when Okonkwo's gun explodes.
(b) Ezeudu's wife stabs herself.
(c) Another elder of the clan dies in all the excitement.
(d) Ezeudu's sixteen-year-old son is shot in the arm.
9. What does Okonkwo mourn when he returns to his clan?
(a) The clan is poor.
(b) The clan is malnourished and weak.
(c) The clan is too aggressive and angry.
(d) The clan is breaking up and falling apart.
10. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
(a) It is believed being buried at night will bring the dead man closer to his ancestors.
(b) The spirits announce that he has to be buried at night.
(c) He is a noble warrior with three titles to his name. A man who took titles can only be buried after dark.
(d) The oldest man of the village is always buried after dark.
11. What does Okonkwo vow to do after being released from the white man's prison?
(a) He swears vengeance.
(b) He vows never to be a source of trouble again.
(c) He vows to move away from Umuofia.
(d) He vows to convert to Christianity.
12. What does Okonkwo serve at the feast for all the umunna, the descendants of Okolo?
(a) Fish from the stream, and roasted locusts
(b) Roasted locusts and small wild birds
(c) Three goats, fowls, foo-foo, yam pottage, egusi soup, bitter-leaf soup, palm-wine and kola nuts
(d) Yams wrapped in palm leaves and roasted with palm oil
13. What does Okonkwo feel the greatest obstacle to going to war against the white man is?
(a) His own cowardice
(b) The clan is not prepared for war
(c) The cowardice of Egonwanne
(d) The fear of the clan
14. How many cowries do the court messengers ask the people for as payment to release their leaders?
(a) Two hundred and ten bags
(b) Two hundred and fifty bags
(c) Two hundred bags
(d) Three hundred bags
15. What is the name of the first woman to join the Christian missionaries?
(c) Nwoye's mother
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people of Mbanta expect to happen to the missionaries when they start building their church?
2. When the missionaries ask the rulers of Mbanta for land to build their church, what do the rulers give them?
3. What does the Abame clan do to the first white man that comes to their village?
4. Why does Obierika go to visit Okonkwo a second time, two years after the first?
5. What is Nwoye's name changed to after he joins the Christians?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)