|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Mr. Kiaga orders the outcasts to do if they want to remain in the new religion?
(a) Return to their special area of the village and never return
(b) Shave off their long tangled hair
(c) Go to the village and proclaim their faith
(d) Kneel before the cross and pray to be accepted
2. What does the Abame clan do to the first white man that comes to their village?
(a) They offer vegetable soup and palm-wine to him.
(b) They kill him and tie his iron horse to the sacred silk-cotton tree.
(c) They touch his white skin because they have never seen anything like it before.
(d) They rub his body with palm oil and adorn him with beads, thinking he is a god.
3. Why do the men of Umuofia meet in the marketplace after the village crier beats the message on the ogene?
(a) They decide to offer half of the required fine to release the six leaders.
(b) They decide to collect the fine immediately to release their six leaders.
(c) They decide to negotiate with the District Commissioner.
(d) They decide against collecting any cowries to release the six leaders.
4. How is Okonkwo going to thank his mother's people for helping him during his seven years in exile?
(a) He is going to give the elders a bag of cowries.
(b) He is going to have a great feast.
(c) He is going to distribute all his yam seeds to the people.
(d) He is going to leave behind one of his wives to work for the rulers and elders.
5. How does Ekwefi and Ezinma harvest the cassava for the feast?
(a) They shake every tree with a long stick, bend down to cut the stem, and dig out the tuber.
(b) The shake the tree, and the cassava fall to the ground.
(c) They cut the cassava off the trees with machetes.
(d) They pick the cassava off the tops of the trees.
6. Why does Obierika tell Okonkwo that it is too late to fight the white man and drive him from the land?
(a) Because their own men and sons have joined the white man's religion and government.
(b) The white men have powerful spirits who protected them.
(c) The white men are more courageous than the men of Umuofia.
(d) There are too many white men.
7. How many cowries do the court messengers ask the people for as payment to release their leaders?
(a) Two hundred and fifty bags
(b) Two hundred and ten bags
(c) Three hundred bags
(d) Two hundred bags
8. Every man learns the language of the ekwe. How does the wooden instrument let the people know exactly who has died?
(a) First it announces the name of the clan, then it names the village, and finally it names the man.
(b) It spells out the letters in the name.
(c) It announces the name of the man over and over again.
(d) It only announces the name of the village.
9. What does Okonkwo serve at the feast for all the umunna, the descendants of Okolo?
(a) Roasted locusts and small wild birds
(b) Fish from the stream, and roasted locusts
(c) Yams wrapped in palm leaves and roasted with palm oil
(d) Three goats, fowls, foo-foo, yam pottage, egusi soup, bitter-leaf soup, palm-wine and kola nuts
10. What is the name of the god that the people of Umuofia believe is the creator of the all the world and the other gods?
11. How are the six leaders of Umuofia treated while in captivity?
(a) They are given anything they asked for.
(b) Their heads are shaved. They are given nothing to eat or drink for three days, and are not allowed to go out and relieve themselves.
(c) They are treated with kindness and respect.
(d) They are whipped every day.
12. What does Okonkwo vow to do after being released from the white man's prison?
(a) He vows to move away from Umuofia.
(b) He vows to convert to Christianity.
(c) He vows never to be a source of trouble again.
(d) He swears vengeance.
13. When the missionaries ask the rulers of Mbanta for land to build their church, what do the rulers give them?
(a) A rocky, barren piece of land in the hills
(c) An uncleared piece of land in the forest
(d) The best plot of land in the village
14. What does Okonkwo hope his sons will be initiated into when his family returns from exile?
(a) Sacred Yam Seed society
(b) The Nidichi
(c) Ozo society
(d) The Sacred Python society
15. When the village meeting is called after the six leaders are released from the white man's prison, what does Okika say the clan should do?
(a) Become Christians
(b) All come to peace with the white man
(c) Root out the evil of the white man
(d) Move and build a village elsewhere
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
2. What question does Njide, the eldest sister of Uchendu, ask of her brother's bride during the isa-ife?
3. What does Nwoye do after his father, Okonkwo, beats him for being with the missionaries?
4. What does Okika suggest they do that their fathers had never done before?
5. What does the District Commissioner do three days after the destruction of the church?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)