|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people of Mbanta expect to happen to the missionaries when they start building their church?
(a) They expect all the missionaries to die within four days.
(b) They expect all the missionaries to get sick.
(c) They expect all the people of Mbanta to help build the church.
(d) They think many of the clan will convert to the new religion.
2. Who says that the Abame were fools and had been warned of danger, and that they should have brought guns and machetes with them to the market?
3. What is the name of the first woman to join the Christian missionaries?
(c) Nwoye's mother
4. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
(a) They do not understand the bond of kinship.
(b) They are unwilling to hunt.
(c) They follow the old ways instead of the new religion.
(d) They are poor farmers.
5. What punishment does the District Commissioner give the six leaders of Umuofia?
(a) Collect two hundred bags of cowries from the people as a fine
(b) Beheading in the public market
(c) Give all the yams in their barns to the commissioner
(d) Destruction of the leader's compounds
6. What news does Obierika bring to Okonkwo and Uchendu about the Abame clan?
(a) The clan gave five of their daughters to the white men who came to the village.
(b) The clan befriended the white men who arrived and now were affluent.
(c) The clan has been wiped out by white men who surrounded the market and shot everyone.
(d) The clan offered the white men yam seeds, so they could build their own farms.
7. How does Ekwefi and Ezinma harvest the cassava for the feast?
(a) They cut the cassava off the trees with machetes.
(b) They pick the cassava off the tops of the trees.
(c) They shake every tree with a long stick, bend down to cut the stem, and dig out the tuber.
(d) The shake the tree, and the cassava fall to the ground.
8. What does Obierika bring for Okonkwo two years after Okonkwo had been exiled?
(a) Woven baskets of yams
(b) Kola nuts and palm-wine
(c) Yam seeds
(d) Bags full of cowries
9. What do the missionaries tell the Mbanta people about their gods?
(a) The gods are true and should be sacrificed to for abundant crops.
(b) They are mythical, friendly gods but are not real.
(c) They are wonderful, loving gods, but are not the one true God.
(d) They are gods of deceit who tell you to kill your fellows and destroy innocent children.
10. What does Okonkwo hope his sons will be initiated into when his family returns from exile?
(a) The Sacred Python society
(b) Sacred Yam Seed society
(c) The Nidichi
(d) Ozo society
11. Who is the missionary that replaces Mr. Brown in Umuofia?
(a) Reverend James Smith
(b) Reverend Peter Paul
(c) Reverend John Paul
(d) Reverend Simon Peter
12. Where does Obierika get the bags of cowries that he brings to Okonkwo?
(a) He sells Okonkwo's compound and brings him the money.
(b) He sells Okonkwo's yams and seed yams.
(c) He collects the money from the clan members who favor Okonkwo.
(d) He gives Okonkwo some of the cowries he saved through the years.
13. What happens in Umuofia the next time Obierika comes to visit Okonkwo, two years later?
(a) More white men come, and the clan kills them.
(b) The white men wipe out another clan of Umuofia.
(c) The entire village coverts to the white man's religion.
(d) The missionaries come, building a church and send evangalists to other towns and villages.
14. What event occurs that convinces the clan that the gods can fight their own battles?
(a) All of the converts come down with a painful rash.
(b) All the food at the church becmes infested with maggots.
(c) Okoli, the convert who is thought to have killed the Sacred Python, dies from illness.
(d) Mr. Kiaga becomes ill and is not able to get up for over a week.
15. What does Nwoye do after his father, Okonkwo, beats him for being with the missionaries?
(a) He swears that he will never go near the missionary church again.
(b) He begs his father to stop beating him.
(c) He screams for his mother's help.
(d) He leaves his family to go the the Christian school in Umuofia.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the missionaries ask the rulers of Mbanta for land to build their church, what do the rulers give them?
2. What does Okonkwo feel the greatest obstacle to going to war against the white man is?
3. How does Mr. Brown encourage the people to attend school?
4. Who is captivated by the message of the missionaries?
5. Every man learns the language of the ekwe. How does the wooden instrument let the people know exactly who has died?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)