|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people of Mbanta expect to happen to the missionaries when they start building their church?
(a) They expect all the missionaries to get sick.
(b) They expect all the missionaries to die within four days.
(c) They think many of the clan will convert to the new religion.
(d) They expect all the people of Mbanta to help build the church.
2. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
(a) Comfort his wives and children and take them back to his fatherland after seven years.
(b) To go back to his clan and beg to be forgiven.
(c) Forget about his past, and denounce his homeland.
(d) Never return to his homeland, but build his future in Mbanta.
3. Who is called the Crystal of Beauty in Mbanta, growing into a healthy, buoyant young woman?
4. What does Okonkwo vow to do after being released from the white man's prison?
(a) He vows to move away from Umuofia.
(b) He vows never to be a source of trouble again.
(c) He swears vengeance.
(d) He vows to convert to Christianity.
5. What is the final ceremony, Amikwu, Uchendu's youngest son, has to perform before getting married?
(a) Kwenu--shouts of approval
(b) Isa-ife--the ceremony of confession
(c) Uri--the ceremony of wine bringing
(d) Umuada--the gathering of daughters
6. What does Mr. Brown build in Umuofia?
(a) A school and a small hospital
(b) A playground
(c) A mansion for himself
(d) A town hall
7. What is the first thing Mr. Kiaga orders the outcasts to do if they want to remain in the new religion?
(a) Shave off their long tangled hair
(b) Kneel before the cross and pray to be accepted
(c) Return to their special area of the village and never return
(d) Go to the village and proclaim their faith
8. What does Okika suggest they do that their fathers had never done before?
(a) Fight against their own brothers who have taken the side of the white man.
(b) Accept their fate, taking on the white man's ways.
(c) Allow their children to attend the white man's school.
(d) Give up their own religious beliefs and accept Christianity.
9. How does Mr. Brown encourage the people to attend school?
(a) With a she-goat and hen
(b) With singlets and towels
(c) With kola nuts and palm-wine
(d) With singlets and towels
10. What is Okonkwo's popular nickname?
(a) Roaring Flame
(b) Living Legend
(c) Flaming Heart
(d) Raging Wrestler
11. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
(a) The death of a man
(b) The birth of a child
(c) The beginning of war
(d) The beginning of a festival
12. What does Uchendu, the younger brother of Okonkwo's mother, give to Okonkwo after he comes looking for refuge?
(a) A basket of yams and palm-wine for his travels
(b) A plot of ground, and two or three pieces of land
(c) A gun to protect him and his family during their exile
(d) Advice on living in the forest
13. What is the tragedy that takes place during the final burial rites for Ezeudu while the cannon is shot and guns fired?
(a) Ezeudu's sixteen-year-old son is shot in the arm.
(b) Ezeudu's wife stabs herself.
(c) Another elder of the clan dies in all the excitement.
(d) Ezeudu's sixteen-year-old son is killed when Okonkwo's gun explodes.
14. What does Obierika bring for Okonkwo two years after Okonkwo had been exiled?
(a) Bags full of cowries
(b) Woven baskets of yams
(c) Kola nuts and palm-wine
(d) Yam seeds
15. Why does Uchendu say, "Never kill a man who says nothing" when Obierika tells them about the white man the Abame killed?
(a) The white man did not said anything to the Abame and according to Uchendu, silence is ominous.
(b) He may hold secrets you need to learn.
(c) He may not be able to speak your language.
(d) Because he did not defended himself and may be innocent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the men of Umuofia meet in the marketplace after the village crier beats the message on the ogene?
2. What type of clan members join the white man's religion?
3. Who is captivated by the message of the missionaries?
4. What does the Abame clan do to the first white man that comes to their village?
5. What is Nwoye's name changed to after he joins the Christians?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)