|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Aneto kills Oduche over a land dispute, what does the white man's government decide?
(a) To imprison Aneto for life
(b) To exile Aneto and his family
(c) To whip Aneto
(d) To hang Aneto
2. What question does Njide, the eldest sister of Uchendu, ask of her brother's bride during the isa-ife?
(a) How do you plan to keep a tranquil household for my brother?
(b) Do you plan on being faithful and obedient to my brother?
(c) How many children do you plan to bear in my brother's name?
(d) How many men have you lain with since my brother first expressed the desire to marry you?
3. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
(a) The birth of a child
(b) The death of a man
(c) The beginning of a festival
(d) The beginning of war
4. How is Okonkwo going to thank his mother's people for helping him during his seven years in exile?
(a) He is going to distribute all his yam seeds to the people.
(b) He is going to leave behind one of his wives to work for the rulers and elders.
(c) He is going to give the elders a bag of cowries.
(d) He is going to have a great feast.
5. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
(a) The oldest man of the village is always buried after dark.
(b) He is a noble warrior with three titles to his name. A man who took titles can only be buried after dark.
(c) It is believed being buried at night will bring the dead man closer to his ancestors.
(d) The spirits announce that he has to be buried at night.
6. What does the Abame clan do to the first white man that comes to their village?
(a) They touch his white skin because they have never seen anything like it before.
(b) They rub his body with palm oil and adorn him with beads, thinking he is a god.
(c) They offer vegetable soup and palm-wine to him.
(d) They kill him and tie his iron horse to the sacred silk-cotton tree.
7. What is Okonkwo's popular nickname?
(a) Roaring Flame
(b) Flaming Heart
(c) Raging Wrestler
(d) Living Legend
8. What is the first thing Okonkwo plans to do when he returns to his clan?
(a) Have his wives cook meals for the village
(b) Rebuild his compound better than it was before
(c) Go to each neighboring hut, apologizing for the past
(d) Move in with a neighbor until he could rebuild
9. When the missionaries ask the rulers of Mbanta for land to build their church, what do the rulers give them?
(b) A rocky, barren piece of land in the hills
(c) The best plot of land in the village
(d) An uncleared piece of land in the forest
10. What does the angry band of egwugwu do to Enoch's compound and the Christian church as revenge for unmasking one of the ancestral spirits?
(a) They leave the buildings alone and try to find Enoch.
(b) They murder all Enoch's family and the Christians in the church.
(c) They burn them to the ground.
(d) They rub red clay and palm oil all over the buildings.
11. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
(a) Never return to his homeland, but build his future in Mbanta.
(b) To go back to his clan and beg to be forgiven.
(c) Comfort his wives and children and take them back to his fatherland after seven years.
(d) Forget about his past, and denounce his homeland.
12. What does Obierika bring for Okonkwo two years after Okonkwo had been exiled?
(a) Yam seeds
(b) Bags full of cowries
(c) Kola nuts and palm-wine
(d) Woven baskets of yams
13. Who is the missionary that replaces Mr. Brown in Umuofia?
(a) Reverend John Paul
(b) Reverend Simon Peter
(c) Reverend James Smith
(d) Reverend Peter Paul
14. What happens in Umuofia the next time Obierika comes to visit Okonkwo, two years later?
(a) The white men wipe out another clan of Umuofia.
(b) The entire village coverts to the white man's religion.
(c) The missionaries come, building a church and send evangalists to other towns and villages.
(d) More white men come, and the clan kills them.
15. What does Okika suggest they do that their fathers had never done before?
(a) Accept their fate, taking on the white man's ways.
(b) Give up their own religious beliefs and accept Christianity.
(c) Fight against their own brothers who have taken the side of the white man.
(d) Allow their children to attend the white man's school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an osu?
2. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
3. What option does Ajofia, the leading egwugwu, give to Mr. Smith when they come to the church?
4. What is the final ceremony, Amikwu, Uchendu's youngest son, has to perform before getting married?
5. What is Okonkwo afraid will happen to his male children after he dies?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)