|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the six leaders of Umuofia during their meeting with the District Commissioner?
(a) They are treated with kindness and respect.
(b) The Commissioner and leaders agree to peace.
(c) They are put in handcuffs, and led to the guardroom.
(d) They share a feast with the District Commissioner.
2. What punishment does the District Commissioner give the six leaders of Umuofia?
(a) Destruction of the leader's compounds
(b) Beheading in the public market
(c) Collect two hundred bags of cowries from the people as a fine
(d) Give all the yams in their barns to the commissioner
3. What is Okonkwo's punishment for killing Ezeudu's son?
(a) All of Okonkwo's sons are to be executed.
(b) One of Okonkwo's sons is to be offered as sacrifice.
(c) He and his wives and children have to flee the land.
(d) Beheading and disgrace.
4. What does Obierika bring for Okonkwo two years after Okonkwo had been exiled?
(a) Kola nuts and palm-wine
(b) Woven baskets of yams
(c) Yam seeds
(d) Bags full of cowries
5. What does Okika suggest they do that their fathers had never done before?
(a) Accept their fate, taking on the white man's ways.
(b) Give up their own religious beliefs and accept Christianity.
(c) Fight against their own brothers who have taken the side of the white man.
(d) Allow their children to attend the white man's school.
6. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
(a) They are referring to the mother of all gods, guiding them to rule the world.
(b) They are referring to Mother Earth and how she is fertile for the yams.
(c) They believe in the very first mother of all men, giving life to all the men who came after.
(d) When a man is sorrowful and bitter, he seeks refuge in his motherland because his mother is there to protect him. It is where she is buried.
7. Who is the white missionary that makes friends with great men of the clan and is presented with a carved elephant tusk?
(a) Mr. Smith
(b) Mr. Penn
(c) Mr. Kiaga
(d) Mr. Brown
8. How are the six leaders of Umuofia treated while in captivity?
(a) Their heads are shaved. They are given nothing to eat or drink for three days, and are not allowed to go out and relieve themselves.
(b) They are treated with kindness and respect.
(c) They are whipped every day.
(d) They are given anything they asked for.
9. Every man learns the language of the ekwe. How does the wooden instrument let the people know exactly who has died?
(a) First it announces the name of the clan, then it names the village, and finally it names the man.
(b) It announces the name of the man over and over again.
(c) It only announces the name of the village.
(d) It spells out the letters in the name.
10. What does Okonkwo send to Obierika as he enters his final year of exile?
(a) bag of cowries to repay Obierika for the money he gave him through the years
(b) Money to build a obi for Okonkwo for when he and his family return
(c) Four hundred yam seeds to sow in Okonkwo's old field, so he and his family will have food when they returned from exile
(d) Money to build two huts on Okonkwo's old compound where he and his family will live until he builds more
11. Who touches off the conflict between church and clan in Umuofia that has been building since Mr. Brown left?
(b) Mr. Smith
12. What does Nwoye do after his father, Okonkwo, beats him for being with the missionaries?
(a) He screams for his mother's help.
(b) He swears that he will never go near the missionary church again.
(c) He begs his father to stop beating him.
(d) He leaves his family to go the the Christian school in Umuofia.
13. What does Okonkwo vow to do after being released from the white man's prison?
(a) He vows to convert to Christianity.
(b) He swears vengeance.
(c) He vows to move away from Umuofia.
(d) He vows never to be a source of trouble again.
14. What type of clan members join the white man's religion?
(a) The warriors of the clan, hoping the religion would keep them safe
(b) Men with no titles, efulefu, worthless and empty men
(c) The women and children of the clan
(d) The elders of the clan and their families
15. What is an osu?
(a) A person dedicated to a god, set apart and taboo forever
(b) A holy man, revered by the people
(c) A very brave and accomplished hunter
(d) One of the elders, given a hut in the center of the village
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Brown build in Umuofia?
2. Who is called the Crystal of Beauty in Mbanta, growing into a healthy, buoyant young woman?
3. What is the name of the god that the people of Umuofia believe is the creator of the all the world and the other gods?
4. Why does Uchendu say, "Never kill a man who says nothing" when Obierika tells them about the white man the Abame killed?
5. What news does Obierika bring to Okonkwo and Uchendu about the Abame clan?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)