|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the white missionary that makes friends with great men of the clan and is presented with a carved elephant tusk?
(a) Mr. Kiaga
(b) Mr. Penn
(c) Mr. Smith
(d) Mr. Brown
2. What question does Njide, the eldest sister of Uchendu, ask of her brother's bride during the isa-ife?
(a) How do you plan to keep a tranquil household for my brother?
(b) How many children do you plan to bear in my brother's name?
(c) How many men have you lain with since my brother first expressed the desire to marry you?
(d) Do you plan on being faithful and obedient to my brother?
3. Where does Obierika get the bags of cowries that he brings to Okonkwo?
(a) He sells Okonkwo's yams and seed yams.
(b) He gives Okonkwo some of the cowries he saved through the years.
(c) He sells Okonkwo's compound and brings him the money.
(d) He collects the money from the clan members who favor Okonkwo.
4. What does Okonkwo send to Obierika as he enters his final year of exile?
(a) bag of cowries to repay Obierika for the money he gave him through the years
(b) Money to build two huts on Okonkwo's old compound where he and his family will live until he builds more
(c) Four hundred yam seeds to sow in Okonkwo's old field, so he and his family will have food when they returned from exile
(d) Money to build a obi for Okonkwo for when he and his family return
5. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
(a) It is believed being buried at night will bring the dead man closer to his ancestors.
(b) The oldest man of the village is always buried after dark.
(c) The spirits announce that he has to be buried at night.
(d) He is a noble warrior with three titles to his name. A man who took titles can only be buried after dark.
6. What happens to the six leaders of Umuofia once the fine is paid to the District Commissioner?
(a) They are imprisoned for life.
(b) They are hanged anyway.
(c) They are set free.
(d) They are mutilated and set free.
7. What is Nwoye's name changed to after he joins the Christians?
8. Why do the men of Umuofia meet in the marketplace after the village crier beats the message on the ogene?
(a) They decide against collecting any cowries to release the six leaders.
(b) They decide to negotiate with the District Commissioner.
(c) They decide to offer half of the required fine to release the six leaders.
(d) They decide to collect the fine immediately to release their six leaders.
9. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
(a) They do not understand the bond of kinship.
(b) They are unwilling to hunt.
(c) They follow the old ways instead of the new religion.
(d) They are poor farmers.
10. What does Okonkwo do when the court messengers come to the meeting, telling the clan to stop?
(a) He turns and asks the clan to stop the meeting.
(b) He tries to convince the messengers to join the meeting peacefully.
(c) He beheads one of the messengers with his machete.
(d) He leaves the meeting, afraid of being arrested again.
11. What does Mr. Brown build in Umuofia?
(a) A mansion for himself
(b) A town hall
(c) A school and a small hospital
(d) A playground
12. How are the six leaders of Umuofia treated while in captivity?
(a) They are given anything they asked for.
(b) They are treated with kindness and respect.
(c) They are whipped every day.
(d) Their heads are shaved. They are given nothing to eat or drink for three days, and are not allowed to go out and relieve themselves.
13. What does Okonkwo feel the greatest obstacle to going to war against the white man is?
(a) The cowardice of Egonwanne
(b) The fear of the clan
(c) The clan is not prepared for war
(d) His own cowardice
14. Why does Obierika go to visit Okonkwo a second time, two years after the first?
(a) To bring more cowries and some yam seeds to his friend, Okonkwo
(b) To find out why Okonkwo's son, Nwoye, joined the white missionaries.
(c) To find out if all is well with Okonkwo and his family.
(d) He misses his good friend, Okonkwo, and thinks he should tell him that missionaries had come.
15. What do the rulers and elders of Mbanta decide to do about the Christians after one of the converts kills the Sacred Python?
(a) Drive the Christians out of the village
(b) Bring the head of Mr. Kiaga back to the village marketplace
(c) Ostracize the Christians
(d) Develop a plan to kill all the Christians
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
2. What happens in Umuofia the next time Obierika comes to visit Okonkwo, two years later?
3. Who is called the Crystal of Beauty in Mbanta, growing into a healthy, buoyant young woman?
4. What is the nickname of kotma, the court messengers who guard the prison which holds people who break the white man's law?
5. Where does Okonkwo bring his family after being banished from his village?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)