|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
(a) The oldest man of the village is always buried after dark.
(b) It is believed being buried at night will bring the dead man closer to his ancestors.
(c) The spirits announce that he has to be buried at night.
(d) He is a noble warrior with three titles to his name. A man who took titles can only be buried after dark.
2. What is the first thing Okonkwo plans to do when he returns to his clan?
(a) Rebuild his compound better than it was before
(b) Go to each neighboring hut, apologizing for the past
(c) Have his wives cook meals for the village
(d) Move in with a neighbor until he could rebuild
3. What is the nickname of kotma, the court messengers who guard the prison which holds people who break the white man's law?
(b) Dead locusts
(c) Betrayers of the people
(d) Slime of the earth
4. Who says that the Abame were fools and had been warned of danger, and that they should have brought guns and machetes with them to the market?
5. What is Nwoye's name changed to after he joins the Christians?
6. What does Mr. Smith tell the people about ogbanje, the evil children who are born over and over again to plague their mothers?
(a) That the stories are spread by the Devil to lead men astray.
(b) That the stories are most likely true.
(c) That the stories resemble the Christian beliefs.
(d) That the stories are okay to believe in.
7. What event occurs that convinces the clan that the gods can fight their own battles?
(a) Mr. Kiaga becomes ill and is not able to get up for over a week.
(b) Okoli, the convert who is thought to have killed the Sacred Python, dies from illness.
(c) All of the converts come down with a painful rash.
(d) All the food at the church becmes infested with maggots.
8. What does the oldest member of the clan say is the reason for gathering for Okonkwo's feast?
(a) Because it is good for kinsman to do so
(b) To gather under the moonlight
(c) To save kinsman from starving
(d) To show off the wealth of food
9. What is the tragedy that takes place during the final burial rites for Ezeudu while the cannon is shot and guns fired?
(a) Another elder of the clan dies in all the excitement.
(b) Ezeudu's wife stabs herself.
(c) Ezeudu's sixteen-year-old son is killed when Okonkwo's gun explodes.
(d) Ezeudu's sixteen-year-old son is shot in the arm.
10. What question does Njide, the eldest sister of Uchendu, ask of her brother's bride during the isa-ife?
(a) How many children do you plan to bear in my brother's name?
(b) How do you plan to keep a tranquil household for my brother?
(c) How many men have you lain with since my brother first expressed the desire to marry you?
(d) Do you plan on being faithful and obedient to my brother?
11. How does Ekwefi and Ezinma harvest the cassava for the feast?
(a) The shake the tree, and the cassava fall to the ground.
(b) They shake every tree with a long stick, bend down to cut the stem, and dig out the tuber.
(c) They pick the cassava off the tops of the trees.
(d) They cut the cassava off the trees with machetes.
12. What is the name of the man that the ekwe announces to Umuofia?
13. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
(a) Never return to his homeland, but build his future in Mbanta.
(b) Comfort his wives and children and take them back to his fatherland after seven years.
(c) Forget about his past, and denounce his homeland.
(d) To go back to his clan and beg to be forgiven.
14. What does Nwoye do after his father, Okonkwo, beats him for being with the missionaries?
(a) He screams for his mother's help.
(b) He leaves his family to go the the Christian school in Umuofia.
(c) He swears that he will never go near the missionary church again.
(d) He begs his father to stop beating him.
15. What type of clan members join the white man's religion?
(a) The women and children of the clan
(b) Men with no titles, efulefu, worthless and empty men
(c) The elders of the clan and their families
(d) The warriors of the clan, hoping the religion would keep them safe
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cowries do the court messengers ask the people for as payment to release their leaders?
2. What does Okonkwo vow to do after being released from the white man's prison?
3. What does Okonkwo feel the greatest obstacle to going to war against the white man is?
4. Why does Obierika go to visit Okonkwo a second time, two years after the first?
5. Why does Uchendu say, "Never kill a man who says nothing" when Obierika tells them about the white man the Abame killed?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)