|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Okonkwo do when the court messengers come to the meeting, telling the clan to stop?
(a) He tries to convince the messengers to join the meeting peacefully.
(b) He turns and asks the clan to stop the meeting.
(c) He beheads one of the messengers with his machete.
(d) He leaves the meeting, afraid of being arrested again.
2. What does the Abame clan do to the first white man that comes to their village?
(a) They offer vegetable soup and palm-wine to him.
(b) They rub his body with palm oil and adorn him with beads, thinking he is a god.
(c) They touch his white skin because they have never seen anything like it before.
(d) They kill him and tie his iron horse to the sacred silk-cotton tree.
3. What does Okonkwo feel the greatest obstacle to going to war against the white man is?
(a) The cowardice of Egonwanne
(b) The fear of the clan
(c) The clan is not prepared for war
(d) His own cowardice
4. What is the name of the first woman to join the Christian missionaries?
(d) Nwoye's mother
5. What do the missionaries tell the Mbanta people about their gods?
(a) The gods are true and should be sacrificed to for abundant crops.
(b) They are gods of deceit who tell you to kill your fellows and destroy innocent children.
(c) They are mythical, friendly gods but are not real.
(d) They are wonderful, loving gods, but are not the one true God.
6. What is Nwoye's name changed to after he joins the Christians?
7. What does Enoch do that is one of the greatest crimes a man can commit during the annual ceremony?
(a) He unmasks an egwugwu in public, killing an ancestral spirit.
(b) He defies his chi.
(c) He beats the wife of another man.
(d) He becomes an efulefu.
8. What does the oldest member of the clan say is the reason for gathering for Okonkwo's feast?
(a) Because it is good for kinsman to do so
(b) To gather under the moonlight
(c) To save kinsman from starving
(d) To show off the wealth of food
9. What is the other thing that the white man brought to Umuofia besides religion?
(b) Wives for the clan
10. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
(a) They follow the old ways instead of the new religion.
(b) They do not understand the bond of kinship.
(c) They are poor farmers.
(d) They are unwilling to hunt.
11. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
(a) The spirits announce that he has to be buried at night.
(b) It is believed being buried at night will bring the dead man closer to his ancestors.
(c) The oldest man of the village is always buried after dark.
(d) He is a noble warrior with three titles to his name. A man who took titles can only be buried after dark.
12. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
(a) The beginning of war
(b) The birth of a child
(c) The beginning of a festival
(d) The death of a man
13. Why does Obierika go to visit Okonkwo a second time, two years after the first?
(a) To find out why Okonkwo's son, Nwoye, joined the white missionaries.
(b) To bring more cowries and some yam seeds to his friend, Okonkwo
(c) He misses his good friend, Okonkwo, and thinks he should tell him that missionaries had come.
(d) To find out if all is well with Okonkwo and his family.
14. What does Uchendu, the younger brother of Okonkwo's mother, give to Okonkwo after he comes looking for refuge?
(a) A gun to protect him and his family during their exile
(b) A plot of ground, and two or three pieces of land
(c) A basket of yams and palm-wine for his travels
(d) Advice on living in the forest
15. Why does Obierika tell Okonkwo that it is too late to fight the white man and drive him from the land?
(a) Because their own men and sons have joined the white man's religion and government.
(b) There are too many white men.
(c) The white men are more courageous than the men of Umuofia.
(d) The white men have powerful spirits who protected them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Okonkwo send to Obierika as he enters his final year of exile?
2. What does Okonkwo vow to do after being released from the white man's prison?
3. What does the angry band of egwugwu do to Enoch's compound and the Christian church as revenge for unmasking one of the ancestral spirits?
4. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
5. What is the final ceremony, Amikwu, Uchendu's youngest son, has to perform before getting married?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)