|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of clan members join the white man's religion?
(a) The warriors of the clan, hoping the religion would keep them safe
(b) Men with no titles, efulefu, worthless and empty men
(c) The elders of the clan and their families
(d) The women and children of the clan
2. What does Obierika bring for Okonkwo two years after Okonkwo had been exiled?
(a) Woven baskets of yams
(b) Kola nuts and palm-wine
(c) Bags full of cowries
(d) Yam seeds
3. What does Enoch do that is one of the greatest crimes a man can commit during the annual ceremony?
(a) He becomes an efulefu.
(b) He defies his chi.
(c) He beats the wife of another man.
(d) He unmasks an egwugwu in public, killing an ancestral spirit.
4. Why does Obierika tell Okonkwo that it is too late to fight the white man and drive him from the land?
(a) Because their own men and sons have joined the white man's religion and government.
(b) The white men have powerful spirits who protected them.
(c) There are too many white men.
(d) The white men are more courageous than the men of Umuofia.
5. When Aneto kills Oduche over a land dispute, what does the white man's government decide?
(a) To imprison Aneto for life
(b) To whip Aneto
(c) To hang Aneto
(d) To exile Aneto and his family
6. What is Nwoye's name changed to after he joins the Christians?
7. What is the tragedy that takes place during the final burial rites for Ezeudu while the cannon is shot and guns fired?
(a) Ezeudu's wife stabs herself.
(b) Ezeudu's sixteen-year-old son is killed when Okonkwo's gun explodes.
(c) Another elder of the clan dies in all the excitement.
(d) Ezeudu's sixteen-year-old son is shot in the arm.
8. What does Okonkwo feel the greatest obstacle to going to war against the white man is?
(a) The fear of the clan
(b) His own cowardice
(c) The clan is not prepared for war
(d) The cowardice of Egonwanne
9. What does Okonkwo mourn when he returns to his clan?
(a) The clan is breaking up and falling apart.
(b) The clan is malnourished and weak.
(c) The clan is poor.
(d) The clan is too aggressive and angry.
10. How are the six leaders of Umuofia treated while in captivity?
(a) They are whipped every day.
(b) Their heads are shaved. They are given nothing to eat or drink for three days, and are not allowed to go out and relieve themselves.
(c) They are given anything they asked for.
(d) They are treated with kindness and respect.
11. What is an osu?
(a) A holy man, revered by the people
(b) A very brave and accomplished hunter
(c) One of the elders, given a hut in the center of the village
(d) A person dedicated to a god, set apart and taboo forever
12. Who is the missionary that replaces Mr. Brown in Umuofia?
(a) Reverend John Paul
(b) Reverend Simon Peter
(c) Reverend James Smith
(d) Reverend Peter Paul
13. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
(a) The birth of a child
(b) The beginning of war
(c) The beginning of a festival
(d) The death of a man
14. What do the missionaries tell the Mbanta people about their gods?
(a) They are wonderful, loving gods, but are not the one true God.
(b) The gods are true and should be sacrificed to for abundant crops.
(c) They are gods of deceit who tell you to kill your fellows and destroy innocent children.
(d) They are mythical, friendly gods but are not real.
15. Who touches off the conflict between church and clan in Umuofia that has been building since Mr. Brown left?
(b) Mr. Smith
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Okonkwo bring his family after being banished from his village?
2. What option does Ajofia, the leading egwugwu, give to Mr. Smith when they come to the church?
3. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
4. Who is the white missionary that makes friends with great men of the clan and is presented with a carved elephant tusk?
5. What happens to the six leaders of Umuofia once the fine is paid to the District Commissioner?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)