|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Every man learns the language of the ekwe. How does the wooden instrument let the people know exactly who has died?
(a) First it announces the name of the clan, then it names the village, and finally it names the man.
(b) It only announces the name of the village.
(c) It spells out the letters in the name.
(d) It announces the name of the man over and over again.
2. What is the name of the man that the ekwe announces to Umuofia?
3. What does Uchendu, the younger brother of Okonkwo's mother, give to Okonkwo after he comes looking for refuge?
(a) A basket of yams and palm-wine for his travels
(b) Advice on living in the forest
(c) A gun to protect him and his family during their exile
(d) A plot of ground, and two or three pieces of land
4. What type of clan members join the white man's religion?
(a) The warriors of the clan, hoping the religion would keep them safe
(b) The elders of the clan and their families
(c) The women and children of the clan
(d) Men with no titles, efulefu, worthless and empty men
5. What do the missionaries tell the Mbanta people about their gods?
(a) The gods are true and should be sacrificed to for abundant crops.
(b) They are gods of deceit who tell you to kill your fellows and destroy innocent children.
(c) They are mythical, friendly gods but are not real.
(d) They are wonderful, loving gods, but are not the one true God.
6. What happens to the Christian women who go to the stream for water to wash the church with?
(a) They are captured and brought to the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
(b) They are chased away from the stream and whipped.
(c) They are given water but are told it is the last time.
(d) They are allowed to get water, but can not speak to anyone.
7. What news does Obierika bring to Okonkwo and Uchendu about the Abame clan?
(a) The clan has been wiped out by white men who surrounded the market and shot everyone.
(b) The clan befriended the white men who arrived and now were affluent.
(c) The clan gave five of their daughters to the white men who came to the village.
(d) The clan offered the white men yam seeds, so they could build their own farms.
8. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
(a) It is believed being buried at night will bring the dead man closer to his ancestors.
(b) He is a noble warrior with three titles to his name. A man who took titles can only be buried after dark.
(c) The spirits announce that he has to be buried at night.
(d) The oldest man of the village is always buried after dark.
9. What does the Abame clan do to the first white man that comes to their village?
(a) They offer vegetable soup and palm-wine to him.
(b) They touch his white skin because they have never seen anything like it before.
(c) They kill him and tie his iron horse to the sacred silk-cotton tree.
(d) They rub his body with palm oil and adorn him with beads, thinking he is a god.
10. What does Okonkwo vow to do after being released from the white man's prison?
(a) He vows never to be a source of trouble again.
(b) He swears vengeance.
(c) He vows to convert to Christianity.
(d) He vows to move away from Umuofia.
11. What question does Njide, the eldest sister of Uchendu, ask of her brother's bride during the isa-ife?
(a) How many men have you lain with since my brother first expressed the desire to marry you?
(b) Do you plan on being faithful and obedient to my brother?
(c) How many children do you plan to bear in my brother's name?
(d) How do you plan to keep a tranquil household for my brother?
12. What does Okonkwo mourn when he returns to his clan?
(a) The clan is poor.
(b) The clan is too aggressive and angry.
(c) The clan is breaking up and falling apart.
(d) The clan is malnourished and weak.
13. What does Mr. Smith tell the people about ogbanje, the evil children who are born over and over again to plague their mothers?
(a) That the stories are okay to believe in.
(b) That the stories are most likely true.
(c) That the stories are spread by the Devil to lead men astray.
(d) That the stories resemble the Christian beliefs.
14. What does the oldest member of the clan say is the reason for gathering for Okonkwo's feast?
(a) To gather under the moonlight
(b) To save kinsman from starving
(c) Because it is good for kinsman to do so
(d) To show off the wealth of food
15. What is the other thing that the white man brought to Umuofia besides religion?
(d) Wives for the clan
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the District Commissioner do three days after the destruction of the church?
2. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
3. What punishment does the District Commissioner give the six leaders of Umuofia?
4. What does Okonkwo feel the greatest obstacle to going to war against the white man is?
5. What event occurs that convinces the clan that the gods can fight their own battles?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)