|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the man that the ekwe announces to Umuofia?
2. What does Okonkwo serve at the feast for all the umunna, the descendants of Okolo?
(a) Three goats, fowls, foo-foo, yam pottage, egusi soup, bitter-leaf soup, palm-wine and kola nuts
(b) Yams wrapped in palm leaves and roasted with palm oil
(c) Fish from the stream, and roasted locusts
(d) Roasted locusts and small wild birds
3. Who touches off the conflict between church and clan in Umuofia that has been building since Mr. Brown left?
(a) Mr. Smith
4. What is Okonkwo's popular nickname?
(a) Flaming Heart
(b) Living Legend
(c) Roaring Flame
(d) Raging Wrestler
5. What does Mr. Brown build in Umuofia?
(a) A school and a small hospital
(b) A town hall
(c) A playground
(d) A mansion for himself
6. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
(a) Never return to his homeland, but build his future in Mbanta.
(b) Forget about his past, and denounce his homeland.
(c) Comfort his wives and children and take them back to his fatherland after seven years.
(d) To go back to his clan and beg to be forgiven.
7. How are the six leaders of Umuofia treated while in captivity?
(a) They are whipped every day.
(b) They are treated with kindness and respect.
(c) They are given anything they asked for.
(d) Their heads are shaved. They are given nothing to eat or drink for three days, and are not allowed to go out and relieve themselves.
8. What is the name of the god that the people of Umuofia believe is the creator of the all the world and the other gods?
9. How does Ekwefi and Ezinma harvest the cassava for the feast?
(a) They cut the cassava off the trees with machetes.
(b) The shake the tree, and the cassava fall to the ground.
(c) They shake every tree with a long stick, bend down to cut the stem, and dig out the tuber.
(d) They pick the cassava off the tops of the trees.
10. Every man learns the language of the ekwe. How does the wooden instrument let the people know exactly who has died?
(a) It spells out the letters in the name.
(b) It only announces the name of the village.
(c) First it announces the name of the clan, then it names the village, and finally it names the man.
(d) It announces the name of the man over and over again.
11. How many missionaries go to Mbanta?
(a) Two white missionaries
(b) Three black missionaries
(c) Three white missionaries
(d) Six and one of them is white
12. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
(a) The death of a man
(b) The birth of a child
(c) The beginning of war
(d) The beginning of a festival
13. What does Okonkwo mourn when he returns to his clan?
(a) The clan is poor.
(b) The clan is malnourished and weak.
(c) The clan is too aggressive and angry.
(d) The clan is breaking up and falling apart.
14. What happens to the six leaders of Umuofia once the fine is paid to the District Commissioner?
(a) They are mutilated and set free.
(b) They are set free.
(c) They are hanged anyway.
(d) They are imprisoned for life.
15. What does Okonkwo do when the court messengers come to the meeting, telling the clan to stop?
(a) He tries to convince the messengers to join the meeting peacefully.
(b) He beheads one of the messengers with his machete.
(c) He turns and asks the clan to stop the meeting.
(d) He leaves the meeting, afraid of being arrested again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Okonkwo vow to do after being released from the white man's prison?
2. What is an osu?
3. Who is called the Crystal of Beauty in Mbanta, growing into a healthy, buoyant young woman?
4. Why does Obierika tell Okonkwo that it is too late to fight the white man and drive him from the land?
5. What news does Obierika bring to Okonkwo and Uchendu about the Abame clan?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)