|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Obierika go to visit Okonkwo a second time, two years after the first?
(a) He misses his good friend, Okonkwo, and thinks he should tell him that missionaries had come.
(b) To bring more cowries and some yam seeds to his friend, Okonkwo
(c) To find out if all is well with Okonkwo and his family.
(d) To find out why Okonkwo's son, Nwoye, joined the white missionaries.
2. What is Okonkwo's punishment for killing Ezeudu's son?
(a) All of Okonkwo's sons are to be executed.
(b) He and his wives and children have to flee the land.
(c) One of Okonkwo's sons is to be offered as sacrifice.
(d) Beheading and disgrace.
3. What does Obierika bring for Okonkwo two years after Okonkwo had been exiled?
(a) Bags full of cowries
(b) Kola nuts and palm-wine
(c) Woven baskets of yams
(d) Yam seeds
4. What does Okika suggest they do that their fathers had never done before?
(a) Fight against their own brothers who have taken the side of the white man.
(b) Accept their fate, taking on the white man's ways.
(c) Give up their own religious beliefs and accept Christianity.
(d) Allow their children to attend the white man's school.
5. What does Okonkwo vow to do after being released from the white man's prison?
(a) He vows never to be a source of trouble again.
(b) He swears vengeance.
(c) He vows to move away from Umuofia.
(d) He vows to convert to Christianity.
6. What is the name of the man that the ekwe announces to Umuofia?
7. How many missionaries go to Mbanta?
(a) Three black missionaries
(b) Three white missionaries
(c) Two white missionaries
(d) Six and one of them is white
8. Who is called the Crystal of Beauty in Mbanta, growing into a healthy, buoyant young woman?
9. What does Enoch do that is one of the greatest crimes a man can commit during the annual ceremony?
(a) He unmasks an egwugwu in public, killing an ancestral spirit.
(b) He beats the wife of another man.
(c) He becomes an efulefu.
(d) He defies his chi.
10. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
(a) They are referring to the mother of all gods, guiding them to rule the world.
(b) They are referring to Mother Earth and how she is fertile for the yams.
(c) They believe in the very first mother of all men, giving life to all the men who came after.
(d) When a man is sorrowful and bitter, he seeks refuge in his motherland because his mother is there to protect him. It is where she is buried.
11. What is the final ceremony, Amikwu, Uchendu's youngest son, has to perform before getting married?
(a) Uri--the ceremony of wine bringing
(b) Isa-ife--the ceremony of confession
(c) Umuada--the gathering of daughters
(d) Kwenu--shouts of approval
12. What is Okonkwo afraid will happen to his male children after he dies?
(a) They will be killed by neighboring enemies.
(b) They will never go back to their homeland again.
(c) They will forget the lessons Okonkwo taught them.
(d) They will follow in Nwoye's footsteps and abandon the gods of their ancestors.
13. What is Nwoye's name changed to after he joins the Christians?
14. What is the tragedy that takes place during the final burial rites for Ezeudu while the cannon is shot and guns fired?
(a) Ezeudu's sixteen-year-old son is shot in the arm.
(b) Ezeudu's wife stabs herself.
(c) Ezeudu's sixteen-year-old son is killed when Okonkwo's gun explodes.
(d) Another elder of the clan dies in all the excitement.
15. How does Mr. Brown encourage the people to attend school?
(a) With kola nuts and palm-wine
(b) With singlets and towels
(c) With singlets and towels
(d) With a she-goat and hen
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Okonkwo feel the greatest obstacle to going to war against the white man is?
2. What does Okonkwo mourn when he returns to his clan?
3. What does Mr. Smith tell the people about ogbanje, the evil children who are born over and over again to plague their mothers?
4. What punishment does the District Commissioner give the six leaders of Umuofia?
5. What does Mr. Brown build in Umuofia?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)