|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the decision of the egwugwu after hearing the case for Mgbafo's family against Uzowulu?
(a) The bride-price is to be returned to Uzowulu.
(b) The bride-price is not to be paid back to Uzowulu.
(c) Uzowulu is to bring a pot of wine to Mgbafo's family and beg that his wife be returned to him. Mgbafo's family is to return her to Uzowulu when he brings the wine to them.
(d) Uzowulu is warned never to beat a woman again or he will be mutilated.
2. Who is Okonkwo's father?
3. Obiageli, Nwoye's sister, comes home crying because her water pot is broken. How did her waterpot break?
(a) She tripped over a stone in the pathway, and fell with her water pot.
(b) She was showing off, swaying her waist and the pot fell.
(c) She was pushed by Nwoye's younger brother and fell with her pot, spilling the water and smashing the pot.
(d) She overfilled the pot with water and was unable to carry the weight. The pot tipped and fell.
4. How long is Ikemenfuna in Okonkwo's care?
(a) Three years
(b) Twelve years
(c) Three months
(d) Two days
5. As the drums sound and the flutes blast, what appears out of the egwugwu house?
(a) The Oracle of the Hills and the Caves
(b) The medicine man
(c) The spirits of the ancestors emerge, followed by nine egwugwu, the masked spirits of the nine villages
(d) The priestess
6. After speaking with the elders of nine villages, what does Okonkwo tell Ikemefuna about what is going to happen to him?
(a) That he is being exiled.
(b) That he is going home.
(c) That he is being killed.
(d) That he is free to go.
7. What does Okonkwo bring with him to share with the wealthy Nwakibie and his family before asking for yam seeds and share cropping privileges?
(a) Goat's milk and eggs.
(b) Campfire wood, and a pot of soup.
(c) A bamboo basket and a goatflask.
(d) Palm-wine, a cock, kola nut, and alligator pepper.
8. What hopes does Okonkwo have for his son, Nwoye's , future?
(a) He hopes Nwoye would be a fair, just, and wise father and husband, showing kindness and love to his family.
(b) He wants Nwoye to be a great warrior with many heroic victories to his name.
(c) He wants Nwoye to be prosperous, that he will have enough to feed the ancestors with regular sacrifices, and he will be able to rule his women and children.
(d) He wants Nwoye to be a talented musician, performing at all the festivals in the nine villages.
9. Nine out of ten of Ekwefi's children die in infancy. After the second death, Okonkwo goes to the medicine man to find out why this is happening. What explanation does the diviner give?
(a) Ekwefi is weak and should not become pregnant again.
(b) Ekwefi should just keep trying, and sooner or later a child would survive.
(c) Ekwefi did not eat vegetable soup throughout her pregnancies.
(d) The child is an agbanje, a wicked child that enters the mother's womb to be born again.
10. What are the women's duties after the yams are planted?
(a) They make bamboo woven hats for the farmers working in the hot sun.
(b) They make meals for the men working in the fields.
(c) They plant maize, melons, and beans between the mounds. They also weeded the farm three times per planting season.
(d) They plant kola nuts between the yams, and weed the yams every day.
11. How can an observer tell if a communal ceremony is only for the men of the village?
(a) There are guards stationed around the communal ceremony, preventing the women from viewing.
(b) There are no women present anywhere near the ceremony.
(c) The titled men and elders sit on stools while the women look on from the fringe like outsiders.
(d) The women gather away from the ceremony, and chat with one another.
12. Who is the first man Okonkwo works for as a share-cropper ?
(d) Ogbuefi Udo
13. What is the name of the boy who wins the wrestling match in the fifteen- to sixteen-year-old age group with a lightning fast move that was never seen before?
14. The first day of the new year is celebrated with feasting and fellowship. What takes place on the second day of the new year?
(a) A gathering in the marketplace for the preparation of the new yams for planting.
(b) A play enacting the planting of yams put on by the children of all the villages in Umuofia.
(c) The great wrestling match between Okonkwo's village and their neighbors.
(d) The gathering of all the village musicians for singing and dancing.
15. One night, the storytelling of Okonkwo 's wives and children stops because the priestess, Chielo is shouting in a high-pitched voice. What does she tell Okonkwo?
(a) That Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves wants to see Ezinma
(b) That Agbala is putting a curse on Okonkwo's house
(c) That Agbala needs to talk to Okonkwo
(d) That Agbala wants to see all Okonkwo's wives
Short Answer Questions
1. Obierika's daughter, Akueke, is sixteen, just the right age for marrying. How does her suitor and his relatives determine if she is ripe for marriage?
2. Ezinma offers to bring Okonkwo's chair to the wrestling match for him. Why did he refuse his daughter's offer?
3. What does the law state in Umuofia if a woman runs away from her husband?
4. Why does Okoye need to collect a past debt from Unkona?
5. How many pots of wine do Obierika's in-laws brink to his home for the uri?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)