|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Enoch do that is one of the greatest crimes a man can commit during the annual ceremony?
(a) He beats the wife of another man.
(b) He unmasks an egwugwu in public, killing an ancestral spirit.
(c) He becomes an efulefu.
(d) He defies his chi.
2. Where does the powerful Oracle of the Hills, Agbala, live?
(a) Deep underground with the creatures of the soil, beneath the hills and all things that live above the ground.
(b) In the treetops with all the climbing creatures of Umuofia.
(c) Through a round hole in the side of the hill leading to a dimly lit cave.
(d) In a large, handsomely endowed compound in the hills filled with the gifts from those asking for a consultation.
3. How does Ezinma, the daughter of Okonkwo's second wife, bring fire to Nwoye's mother's hut?
(a) Ekwefi, Okonkwo's second wife, gives Ezinma a clay pot with burning leaves inside to carry to Nwoye's mother's hut.
(b) Ekwefi, Okonkwo's second wife, makes a torch of banana leaves and palm oil, and gives it to Ezinma to carry to Nwoye's mother.
(c) Ekwefi, Okonkwo's second wife, puts live coals into a piece of broken pot and Ezinma carries it to Nwoye's mother.
(d) Ezinma carries a flaming stick across the compound to Nwoye's mother's hut.
4. What drives Okonkwo into a rage on the first day of the festival, leading him to beat his second wife, Ekwefi, and almost kill her with a gun?
(a) She burns the vegetable soup she is preparing for the festival.
(b) Okonkwo is angry because his second wife has not scrubbed the walls of her hut with red earth, and has neglected the rituals of the people.
(c) Okonkwo finds that his second wife has not prepared her children in the traditional fashion of the clan for the festival.
(d) He believes his wife killed a banana tree in the compound, even though it is still alive. She also comments on his inability to shoot well.
5. Why doesn't Okonkwo have any patience with his father?
(a) Unoka is lazy, a debtor, and a failure.
(b) Unkona spoils his wife and children, providing them with too much food and money.
(c) Unkona is a great warrior who is always away at war.
(d) Unkona is overly ambitious and driven to earn the highest titles in the land.
Short Answer Questions
1. The punishment for breaking the sacred peace changes through the years. What happened to a man that broke the Week of Peace in the past?
2. How can an observer tell if a communal ceremony is only for the men of the village?
3. What does Obierika bring for Okonkwo two years after Okonkwo had been exiled?
4. What is the strange event that takes place in the village of Ire that Ofoedo tells Okonkwo and Obierika about?
5. Why is Okonkwo's twelve-year-old son, Nwoye, causing him great anxiety?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)