|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the strange event that takes place in the village of Ire that Ofoedo tells Okonkwo and Obierika about?
(a) Ogbuefi Ndulue, the oldest man in the Ire village died and upon hearing about it, his wife, Ozoemena, died also.
(b) All the people in the village of Ire awoke in the night from dreams of disasters to come.
(c) All the yams planted in the fields rotted during the night from a curse sent by evil spirits.
(d) The children of Ire stopped speaking for two days and went into a trance-like state.
2. What is the name of the first woman to join the Christian missionaries?
(a) Nwoye's mother
3. What is Okonkwo's popular nickname?
(a) Flaming Heart
(b) Raging Wrestler
(c) Living Legend
(d) Roaring Flame
4. What does Okagbue, the medicine man, dig up from under the orange tree that makes the people of the village believe that Ezinma will live to adulthood?
(a) A sacred amulet that the priestess made for Ezinma the day she was born. Ezinma was to wear it around her neck until the day she died.
(b) The cloth which was used to clean Ezinma after she was born. It was buried after the birth as a good luck charm that would keep the infant safe from harm. After digging it up, the child was to be washed with it once again to stay safe.
(c) A basket of kola nuts which were buried when Ezinma was born to trapped evil spirits. It was supposed to be dug up after a time and burned, so the evil spirits would not kill Ezinma.
(d) Ezinma's iyi-uwa, a smooth pebble wrapped in a dirty rag which links Ezinma to the spirit world. It is believed that if the iyi-uwa is found and destroyed, Ezinma will not die.
5. Where does Obierika get the bags of cowries that he brings to Okonkwo?
(a) He sells Okonkwo's compound and brings him the money.
(b) He gives Okonkwo some of the cowries he saved through the years.
(c) He collects the money from the clan members who favor Okonkwo.
(d) He sells Okonkwo's yams and seed yams.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what circumstances will the people of Umuofia consult Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves?
2. How does Unoka react when Okoye asks him to repay the two hundred cowries owed to him?
3. Why is Okonkwo's twelve-year-old son, Nwoye, causing him great anxiety?
4. What is the other thing that the white man brought to Umuofia besides religion?
5. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)