|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Obiageli, Nwoye's sister, comes home crying because her water pot is broken. How did her waterpot break?
(a) She overfilled the pot with water and was unable to carry the weight. The pot tipped and fell.
(b) She was pushed by Nwoye's younger brother and fell with her pot, spilling the water and smashing the pot.
(c) She tripped over a stone in the pathway, and fell with her water pot.
(d) She was showing off, swaying her waist and the pot fell.
2. Why do men and women look forward to the Feast of the New Yam?
(a) The men and women cook and feed each other the yams from the previous harvest so that no food will be wasted.
(b) It is a festival of dancing around the new yams of the season and eating the rest of the old yams for the previous year.
(c) It is the beginning of the season of plenty--the new year. It begins with huge quantities of fresh yams, yam foo foo and vegetable soup.
(d) It is a feast of yam stew made from all the leftover yams of the past harvest, which is divided among all the people.
3. What hopes does Okonkwo have for his son, Nwoye's , future?
(a) He wants Nwoye to be a great warrior with many heroic victories to his name.
(b) He wants Nwoye to be a talented musician, performing at all the festivals in the nine villages.
(c) He wants Nwoye to be prosperous, that he will have enough to feed the ancestors with regular sacrifices, and he will be able to rule his women and children.
(d) He hopes Nwoye would be a fair, just, and wise father and husband, showing kindness and love to his family.
4. How does Ikemenfuna feel after three weeks of illness?
(a) He is still bitter and afraid.
(b) He cries every night after his illness for his mother and sisters.
(c) He vows revenge on Okonkwo and his family.
(d) He gets better and is no longer afraid or sad to be in Okonkwo's home.
5. What is Okonkwo's punishment for committing a "nso-ani" during the Week of Peace?
(a) Bring a she-goat, one hen, a length of cloth, and a hundred cowries to the shrine of Ani.
(b) Go to the shrine of Ani and confess his disrespectful behavior to the gods of the clan, remaining on his knees throughout a day and night.
(c) Bring a bamboo basket of yams, a flask of palm-wine and a hen to the shrine of Ani.
(d) Go to the shrine of Ani, fast for three days, and beg forgiveness for breaking the sacred peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does every man and his family do after the Week of Peace?
2. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
3. What do the people of Mbanta expect to happen to the missionaries when they start building their church?
4. Why does Uchendu say, "Never kill a man who says nothing" when Obierika tells them about the white man the Abame killed?
5. What is the first thing Okonkwo plans to do when he returns to his clan?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)