|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the crops that are considered women's crops by the people of Umuofia?
(a) Palms, bitter-leaf, foo foo
(b) Yams, kola nuts, greens
(c) Coco-yams, beans, cassava
(d) Gourds, bananas, oil bean
2. What is the strange event that takes place in the village of Ire that Ofoedo tells Okonkwo and Obierika about?
(a) Ogbuefi Ndulue, the oldest man in the Ire village died and upon hearing about it, his wife, Ozoemena, died also.
(b) All the people in the village of Ire awoke in the night from dreams of disasters to come.
(c) All the yams planted in the fields rotted during the night from a curse sent by evil spirits.
(d) The children of Ire stopped speaking for two days and went into a trance-like state.
3. How is the weather during the first growing season that Okonkwo starts share-cropping for Nwakibie?
(a) The beginning of the season is poor weather for growing yams, but the second planting of the season grows huge yams, sweet and plump.
(b) The worst in memory: late rains and scorching sun kill the yams, then torrential downpours wash the seeds away.
(c) The best growing weather ever: yams flourish with the nightly rains and sunny days.
(d) Some good days, and some bad: the yams grow, but not to their potential. Some days were too hot and some rains too severe.
4. Which of the spectators of the wrestling match are allowed to sit around the huge circle of the wrestling ring?
(a) The wrestlers waiting for their matches.
(b) The elders, grandees, a few early comers in the stands, and the drummers.
(c) Pregnant women.
(d) Women and children.
5. Ezinma tells her mother, Ekwefi, that her upper eyelid is twitching. What does Ekwefi tell Ezinma the significance of the twitch is?
(a) It means the rains will come early this year.
(b) It means Ezinma will have many children.
(c) It means Ezinma will see something.
(d) It means Ezinma is going to cry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people of Umuofia fear in the night?
2. Why doesn't Okonkwo have any patience with his father?
3. What does Okonkwo send to Obierika as he enters his final year of exile?
4. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
5. Why is Umuofia feared by all its neighbors?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)