|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Okonkwo have any patience with his father?
(a) Unkona is overly ambitious and driven to earn the highest titles in the land.
(b) Unkona is a great warrior who is always away at war.
(c) Unoka is lazy, a debtor, and a failure.
(d) Unkona spoils his wife and children, providing them with too much food and money.
2. What is the one passion that rules Okonkwo's life?
(a) To hate everything his father loved.
(b) To be affluent in money, wives, and children.
(c) To obtain more wealth than anyone else in Umuofia.
(d) To make sure his barn was always filled with yams.
3. Why do the people of Umuofia observe the Week of Peace?
(a) It is a time for families to develop bonds of love and understanding, making their relationships strong.
(b) It is a week of happy celebration, dancing, and feasting with everyone in the village. It creates a peaceful, cooperative atmosphere that is supposed to last throughout the year.
(c) Their forefather's ordained that before they planted any crops, they have to observe a week where it is forbidden to say a harsh word to a neighbor. This honors the god of the earth, so that the crops will grow.
(d) It is a time to set aside differences with families and neighbors, forgiving them for past offenses.
4. Why is the big, ancient silk-cotton tree in the playground considered sacred?
(a) The tree holds all the spirits of the men who died in wars since the beginning of time.
(b) The spirits of good children waiting to be born live in the tree.
(c) The tree holds the spirits of all the ancestors of the clan.
(d) The tree is believed to have been the first tree in existence.
5. What do the missionaries tell the Mbanta people about their gods?
(a) The gods are true and should be sacrificed to for abundant crops.
(b) They are wonderful, loving gods, but are not the one true God.
(c) They are mythical, friendly gods but are not real.
(d) They are gods of deceit who tell you to kill your fellows and destroy innocent children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Okagbue, the medicine man, dig up from under the orange tree that makes the people of the village believe that Ezinma will live to adulthood?
2. What is the custom in the village of Obodoani if a man dies during the Week of Peace?
3. Who appears in front of Ekwefi as she waits tearfully outside Agbala's cave?
4. What do the people of Umuofia fear in the night?
5. What is the name of the first woman to join the Christian missionaries?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)