|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nwoye do after his father, Okonkwo, beats him for being with the missionaries?
(a) He leaves his family to go the the Christian school in Umuofia.
(b) He screams for his mother's help.
(c) He swears that he will never go near the missionary church again.
(d) He begs his father to stop beating him.
2. What are the traditional events when night falls and it is time to end Obierika's daughter's uri?
(a) The women gather all the pots, filling them with leftover food and give each guest a pot to take home.
(b) The leftover wine is divided into flasks for the guests to take home.
(c) The elders sit in a circle while singers sing each man's praise. Then the guest's rise to go and the bride is to leave with them for seven weeks.
(d) The singers sing a song of praise to Obierika for such a wonderful celebration.
3. How does Okonkwo react to the disastrous growing season that destroy all his yams and the yams of his people?
(a) His heart is broken from the loss of his crop, leaving him depressed and suicidal.
(b) He gives up being a farmer, and begins looking for a new trade.
(c) He feels he can survive anything, since he has survived this disastrous year.
(d) He cries and sinks into despair.
4. What is the final ceremony, Amikwu, Uchendu's youngest son, has to perform before getting married?
(a) Kwenu--shouts of approval
(b) Uri--the ceremony of wine bringing
(c) Isa-ife--the ceremony of confession
(d) Umuada--the gathering of daughters
5. What happens to twins born in Umuofia?
(a) They are revered as sacred above all other infants.
(b) They are drowned.
(c) They are considered good luck and raised by the priestess of the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
(d) They are placed in earthenware pots and thrown away in the forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
2. Why does Okoye need to collect a past debt from Unkona?
3. What is the tragedy that takes place during the final burial rites for Ezeudu while the cannon is shot and guns fired?
4. What does Obierika bring for Okonkwo two years after Okonkwo had been exiled?
5. Why does Unkona's neighbor, Okoye, visit him?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)