|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ezinma, the daughter of Okonkwo's second wife, bring fire to Nwoye's mother's hut?
(a) Ekwefi, Okonkwo's second wife, makes a torch of banana leaves and palm oil, and gives it to Ezinma to carry to Nwoye's mother.
(b) Ezinma carries a flaming stick across the compound to Nwoye's mother's hut.
(c) Ekwefi, Okonkwo's second wife, puts live coals into a piece of broken pot and Ezinma carries it to Nwoye's mother.
(d) Ekwefi, Okonkwo's second wife, gives Ezinma a clay pot with burning leaves inside to carry to Nwoye's mother's hut.
2. What is the agreed upon bride-price for Akueke?
(a) Ten woven baskets of yams
(b) Five bags of cowries and one hundred yam seeds
(c) Twenty bags of cowries
(d) A she-goat, a hen, and ten cowries
3. Where does the powerful Oracle of the Hills, Agbala, live?
(a) Deep underground with the creatures of the soil, beneath the hills and all things that live above the ground.
(b) In a large, handsomely endowed compound in the hills filled with the gifts from those asking for a consultation.
(c) Through a round hole in the side of the hill leading to a dimly lit cave.
(d) In the treetops with all the climbing creatures of Umuofia.
4. How do the women of the clan prepare for the Feast of the New Yam?
(a) They decorate robes with intricate patterns made of colored beans, plaite each others hair, color their faces with red clay, and make veils to cover their faces during the festival.
(b) They gather in the marketplace to share all their clothing, jewelry and sandals with one another. They wear each others belongings to prove to the goddess, Ani, that they are worthy people.
(c) They cleanse their bodies, wear a simple robe and sandles, and scrub their faces. They are to go to the festival free of all paint, jewelry, or ornamentation of any kind.
(d) They scrub the walls and huts with red earth, draw patterns on them in white, yellow and green, paint themselves with cam wood, and draw black patterns on their stomach and backs.
5. Why is Umuofia feared by all its neighbors?
(a) Umuofia goes to war whether the case is clear and just or not.
(b) It is powerful in war and magic and has a strong war medicine called agadi-nwayi.
(c) The medicine woman curses all its enemies.
(d) It never tries to find a peaceful settlement before going to war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the custom in the village of Obodoani if a man dies during the Week of Peace?
2. Ekwefi awakes Okonkwo early in the morning pounding on his door. What is she anxious to tell him?
3. What is the only way a young man can build a barn of his own if his father has no yams?
4. What is the final ceremony, Amikwu, Uchendu's youngest son, has to perform before getting married?
5. Nine out of ten of Ekwefi's children die in infancy. After the second death, Okonkwo goes to the medicine man to find out why this is happening. What explanation does the diviner give?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)