|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Okonkwo have any patience with his father?
(a) Unkona spoils his wife and children, providing them with too much food and money.
(b) Unkona is overly ambitious and driven to earn the highest titles in the land.
(c) Unkona is a great warrior who is always away at war.
(d) Unoka is lazy, a debtor, and a failure.
2. What question does Njide, the eldest sister of Uchendu, ask of her brother's bride during the isa-ife?
(a) How many children do you plan to bear in my brother's name?
(b) How many men have you lain with since my brother first expressed the desire to marry you?
(c) Do you plan on being faithful and obedient to my brother?
(d) How do you plan to keep a tranquil household for my brother?
3. What does Okonkwo bring back from the bush while Ezinma lays sick in Ekwefi's hut?
(a) Soil from the bush to mix with water and form into mud which can be rubbed on Ezinma's body to bring down the fever.
(b) Bananas to mix with palm oil, forming a paste which Ezinma can eat easily. This will help keep up her strength.
(c) A bundle of medicinal plants, grasses, leaves, roots and barks.
(d) Three small birds to offer as sacrifice to the gods, so Ezinma will get well.
4. Okonkwo is sitting in his obi with Ikemefuna and Nwoye, eating dried locusts when Ogbuefi Ezeudu comes with a message. What is the message?
(a) Umuofia decides to kill Ikemefuna. The Oracle of the Hills pronounces it. Okonkwo is not to take part in the killing because the boy calls him father.
(b) Nwoye and Ikemefuna are to be declared by Umuofia as brothers for life.
(c) Ikemefuna is to be given all the rights of an adopted son to Okonkwo.
(d) Ikemefuna is to remain in Okonkwo's household as a servant for the rest of his life.
5. What is the shameful death Unoka endures?
(a) Dying of the abomination of swollen stomach and limbs, never to be buried in the earth.
(b) Starvation due to his many failed crops.
(c) Drowning in his own vomit after too much palm-wine.
(d) Beheading because of his many unpaid debts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Okonkwo and the men of Umuofia take Ikemefuna deep into the forest and kill him with machetes. Who gives the final thrust of the machete that ends Ikemefuna's life?
2. What descends on the land of Okonkwo, darkens the sky, settles on the rooftops, and breaks mighty tree branches under them?
3. What is the only way a young man can build a barn of his own if his father has no yams?
4. When the missionaries ask the rulers of Mbanta for land to build their church, what do the rulers give them?
5. Which of the spectators of the wrestling match are allowed to sit around the huge circle of the wrestling ring?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)