|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What drives Okonkwo into a rage on the first day of the festival, leading him to beat his second wife, Ekwefi, and almost kill her with a gun?
(a) Okonkwo is angry because his second wife has not scrubbed the walls of her hut with red earth, and has neglected the rituals of the people.
(b) He believes his wife killed a banana tree in the compound, even though it is still alive. She also comments on his inability to shoot well.
(c) She burns the vegetable soup she is preparing for the festival.
(d) Okonkwo finds that his second wife has not prepared her children in the traditional fashion of the clan for the festival.
2. Why do all the women abandon preparing the food for the uri and rush off to the Obierika's crop field?
(a) There is a cow loose in the field eating the crops and the women have to catch it.
(b) The locusts landed on the crops and have to be brushed off the leaves.
(c) A neighbor's child went to the field and started picking the crops.
(d) A fire broke out in the field and the women have to stomp it out.
3. The Ibo people consider conversation to be very important. What form of conversation do they regard the most highly?
4. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
(a) It is believed being buried at night will bring the dead man closer to his ancestors.
(b) He is a noble warrior with three titles to his name. A man who took titles can only be buried after dark.
(c) The oldest man of the village is always buried after dark.
(d) The spirits announce that he has to be buried at night.
5. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
(a) When a man is sorrowful and bitter, he seeks refuge in his motherland because his mother is there to protect him. It is where she is buried.
(b) They are referring to Mother Earth and how she is fertile for the yams.
(c) They believe in the very first mother of all men, giving life to all the men who came after.
(d) They are referring to the mother of all gods, guiding them to rule the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the agreed upon bride-price for Akueke?
2. Why do the people of Umuofia observe the Week of Peace?
3. Okonkwo is sitting in his obi with Ikemefuna and Nwoye, eating dried locusts when Ogbuefi Ezeudu comes with a message. What is the message?
4. How many men are in each of the two teams of wrestlers who face each other in the wrestling ring?
5. Which of the spectators of the wrestling match are allowed to sit around the huge circle of the wrestling ring?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)