|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
(a) They are referring to the mother of all gods, guiding them to rule the world.
(b) They are referring to Mother Earth and how she is fertile for the yams.
(c) When a man is sorrowful and bitter, he seeks refuge in his motherland because his mother is there to protect him. It is where she is buried.
(d) They believe in the very first mother of all men, giving life to all the men who came after.
2. What do the people of Umuofia fear in the night?
(a) Bandits in search of money and food.
(b) Rogue warriors from Mbaino.
(c) Evil spirits, dangerous animals, and snakes.
(d) Kidnappers looking for children to sell as slaves.
3. What happens to twins born in Umuofia?
(a) They are drowned.
(b) They are considered good luck and raised by the priestess of the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
(c) They are placed in earthenware pots and thrown away in the forest.
(d) They are revered as sacred above all other infants.
4. How does Okonkwo react to the disastrous growing season that destroy all his yams and the yams of his people?
(a) His heart is broken from the loss of his crop, leaving him depressed and suicidal.
(b) He feels he can survive anything, since he has survived this disastrous year.
(c) He cries and sinks into despair.
(d) He gives up being a farmer, and begins looking for a new trade.
5. What is the decision of the egwugwu after hearing the case for Mgbafo's family against Uzowulu?
(a) The bride-price is to be returned to Uzowulu.
(b) Uzowulu is to bring a pot of wine to Mgbafo's family and beg that his wife be returned to him. Mgbafo's family is to return her to Uzowulu when he brings the wine to them.
(c) The bride-price is not to be paid back to Uzowulu.
(d) Uzowulu is warned never to beat a woman again or he will be mutilated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name all children of the clan except Ezinma call their mothers?
2. Ezinma tells her mother, Ekwefi, that her upper eyelid is twitching. What does Ekwefi tell Ezinma the significance of the twitch is?
3. Who appears in front of Ekwefi as she waits tearfully outside Agbala's cave?
4. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
5. Okonkwo ate his wive's meals, and his wives and children are their supper. What is the next thing his wives and children do?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)