|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the strange event that takes place in the village of Ire that Ofoedo tells Okonkwo and Obierika about?
(a) All the people in the village of Ire awoke in the night from dreams of disasters to come.
(b) Ogbuefi Ndulue, the oldest man in the Ire village died and upon hearing about it, his wife, Ozoemena, died also.
(c) All the yams planted in the fields rotted during the night from a curse sent by evil spirits.
(d) The children of Ire stopped speaking for two days and went into a trance-like state.
2. How long is Ikemenfuna in Okonkwo's care?
(a) Two days
(b) Three months
(c) Twelve years
(d) Three years
3. What is the final ceremony, Amikwu, Uchendu's youngest son, has to perform before getting married?
(a) Kwenu--shouts of approval
(b) Isa-ife--the ceremony of confession
(c) Uri--the ceremony of wine bringing
(d) Umuada--the gathering of daughters
4. What does the Abame clan do to the first white man that comes to their village?
(a) They kill him and tie his iron horse to the sacred silk-cotton tree.
(b) They rub his body with palm oil and adorn him with beads, thinking he is a god.
(c) They touch his white skin because they have never seen anything like it before.
(d) They offer vegetable soup and palm-wine to him.
5. Nine out of ten of Ekwefi's children die in infancy. After the second death, Okonkwo goes to the medicine man to find out why this is happening. What explanation does the diviner give?
(a) Ekwefi is weak and should not become pregnant again.
(b) The child is an agbanje, a wicked child that enters the mother's womb to be born again.
(c) Ekwefi did not eat vegetable soup throughout her pregnancies.
(d) Ekwefi should just keep trying, and sooner or later a child would survive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Okonkwo's father?
2. What is used to inform all the men of the Umuofia to meet in the market place the following morning?
3. What is Okonkwo afraid will happen to his male children after he dies?
4. Who is the first man Okonkwo works for as a share-cropper ?
5. What is the emergency that the great orator announces at the meeting in the marketplace?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)