|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name all children of the clan except Ezinma call their mothers?
2. Where does the powerful Oracle of the Hills, Agbala, live?
(a) Through a round hole in the side of the hill leading to a dimly lit cave.
(b) In a large, handsomely endowed compound in the hills filled with the gifts from those asking for a consultation.
(c) Deep underground with the creatures of the soil, beneath the hills and all things that live above the ground.
(d) In the treetops with all the climbing creatures of Umuofia.
3. What is Okonkwo's punishment for committing a "nso-ani" during the Week of Peace?
(a) Go to the shrine of Ani, fast for three days, and beg forgiveness for breaking the sacred peace.
(b) Bring a she-goat, one hen, a length of cloth, and a hundred cowries to the shrine of Ani.
(c) Bring a bamboo basket of yams, a flask of palm-wine and a hen to the shrine of Ani.
(d) Go to the shrine of Ani and confess his disrespectful behavior to the gods of the clan, remaining on his knees throughout a day and night.
4. What is the festival that gives thanks to Ani, the earth goddess and source of fertility?
(a) The New Yam Festival
(b) The Seeds of Life Festival
(c) The Mother of the Earth Festival
(d) The Yam Harvest Festival
5. Why does Okonkwo beat his second wife, Ojiugo, during the sacred Week of Peace?
(a) She is at a friend's house and does not prepare Okonkwo's afternoon meal.
(b) She is caught with another man.
(c) She cooks a meal that Okonkwo does not like.
(d) She disagrees with what Okonkwo has to say.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the powerful orator that informs the ten thousand men of the emergency facing the nine villages of Umuofia?
2. Why do all the women abandon preparing the food for the uri and rush off to the Obierika's crop field?
3. As the drums sound and the flutes blast, what appears out of the egwugwu house?
4. The punishment for breaking the sacred peace changes through the years. What happened to a man that broke the Week of Peace in the past?
5. Ekwefi awakes Okonkwo early in the morning pounding on his door. What is she anxious to tell him?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)