|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the missionaries ask the rulers of Mbanta for land to build their church, what do the rulers give them?
(b) A rocky, barren piece of land in the hills
(c) The best plot of land in the village
(d) An uncleared piece of land in the forest
2. The punishment for breaking the sacred peace changes through the years. What happened to a man that broke the Week of Peace in the past?
(a) He was exiled from Umuofia, considered to be dead to all the clan.
(b) He was hanged in the marketplace for all to see.
(c) He was tied in the village marketplace and each member of the clan spat on him.
(d) He was dragged on the ground through the village until dead.
3. Why does Unkona change the subject to music when he and Oybe are discussing the impending war with the village of Mbaino?
(a) Unkona wants to stay home to take care of his yam harvest.
(b) Unkona is a coward and can't stand the sight of blood.
(c) Unkona is afraid to think about people of his village being hurt.
(d) Unkona knows he would have to leave his family to fight in the war.
4. Why do the people of Umuofia observe the Week of Peace?
(a) It is a time to set aside differences with families and neighbors, forgiving them for past offenses.
(b) It is a week of happy celebration, dancing, and feasting with everyone in the village. It creates a peaceful, cooperative atmosphere that is supposed to last throughout the year.
(c) Their forefather's ordained that before they planted any crops, they have to observe a week where it is forbidden to say a harsh word to a neighbor. This honors the god of the earth, so that the crops will grow.
(d) It is a time for families to develop bonds of love and understanding, making their relationships strong.
5. What drives Okonkwo into a rage on the first day of the festival, leading him to beat his second wife, Ekwefi, and almost kill her with a gun?
(a) He believes his wife killed a banana tree in the compound, even though it is still alive. She also comments on his inability to shoot well.
(b) She burns the vegetable soup she is preparing for the festival.
(c) Okonkwo is angry because his second wife has not scrubbed the walls of her hut with red earth, and has neglected the rituals of the people.
(d) Okonkwo finds that his second wife has not prepared her children in the traditional fashion of the clan for the festival.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Ekwefi and Okonkwo wait outside of Agbala's cave for Ezinma's return, what does Ekwefi think about?
2. Why does Okoye need to collect a past debt from Unkona?
3. How do the women of the clan prepare for the Feast of the New Yam?
4. How many pots of wine do Obierika's in-laws brink to his home for the uri?
5. What does Okonkwo bring back from the bush while Ezinma lays sick in Ekwefi's hut?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)