|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Okonkwo's punishment for committing a "nso-ani" during the Week of Peace?
(a) Bring a bamboo basket of yams, a flask of palm-wine and a hen to the shrine of Ani.
(b) Bring a she-goat, one hen, a length of cloth, and a hundred cowries to the shrine of Ani.
(c) Go to the shrine of Ani, fast for three days, and beg forgiveness for breaking the sacred peace.
(d) Go to the shrine of Ani and confess his disrespectful behavior to the gods of the clan, remaining on his knees throughout a day and night.
2. What happens to twins born in Umuofia?
(a) They are considered good luck and raised by the priestess of the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
(b) They are drowned.
(c) They are revered as sacred above all other infants.
(d) They are placed in earthenware pots and thrown away in the forest.
3. After speaking with the elders of nine villages, what does Okonkwo tell Ikemefuna about what is going to happen to him?
(a) That he is being exiled.
(b) That he is going home.
(c) That he is being killed.
(d) That he is free to go.
4. When is the only time that Unkona is not haggard and mournful?
(a) When drinking and playing his flute.
(b) After paying off his debts.
(c) When fighting for his village against the village of Mbaino.
(d) When providing food for his wife and children.
5. Who are the two groups of people who stand facing the elders at the ceremonial trial?
(a) One group is the twelve-year-old boys from the village. The other group is their fathers.
(b) One group is Mgbafo and her three brothers. The other group is her husband, Uzowulu, and his relatives.
(c) One group is the three oldest men from the village. The other group is their sons.
(d) One group is wrestlers from the nine villages, and the other group is judges.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ekwefi do after Chielo carries Ezinma away on her back?
2. The Ibo people consider conversation to be very important. What form of conversation do they regard the most highly?
3. As the drums sound and the flutes blast, what appears out of the egwugwu house?
4. What is the name of the boy who wins the wrestling match in the fifteen- to sixteen-year-old age group with a lightning fast move that was never seen before?
5. What does Okagbue, the medicine man, dig up from under the orange tree that makes the people of the village believe that Ezinma will live to adulthood?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)