|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the custom in the village of Obodoani if a man dies during the Week of Peace?
(a) The man is not buried, but cast into the Evil Forest.
(b) The man is buried as deep as two graves.
(c) The man is burned to ashes, instead of buried.
(d) The man is buried outside the village.
2. What drives Okonkwo into a rage on the first day of the festival, leading him to beat his second wife, Ekwefi, and almost kill her with a gun?
(a) Okonkwo finds that his second wife has not prepared her children in the traditional fashion of the clan for the festival.
(b) Okonkwo is angry because his second wife has not scrubbed the walls of her hut with red earth, and has neglected the rituals of the people.
(c) She burns the vegetable soup she is preparing for the festival.
(d) He believes his wife killed a banana tree in the compound, even though it is still alive. She also comments on his inability to shoot well.
3. How do the women of the clan prepare for the Feast of the New Yam?
(a) They scrub the walls and huts with red earth, draw patterns on them in white, yellow and green, paint themselves with cam wood, and draw black patterns on their stomach and backs.
(b) They cleanse their bodies, wear a simple robe and sandles, and scrub their faces. They are to go to the festival free of all paint, jewelry, or ornamentation of any kind.
(c) They decorate robes with intricate patterns made of colored beans, plaite each others hair, color their faces with red clay, and make veils to cover their faces during the festival.
(d) They gather in the marketplace to share all their clothing, jewelry and sandals with one another. They wear each others belongings to prove to the goddess, Ani, that they are worthy people.
4. Why is the big, ancient silk-cotton tree in the playground considered sacred?
(a) The tree holds all the spirits of the men who died in wars since the beginning of time.
(b) The spirits of good children waiting to be born live in the tree.
(c) The tree holds the spirits of all the ancestors of the clan.
(d) The tree is believed to have been the first tree in existence.
5. Where does Chielo bring Ezinma?
(a) To the village of Umuachi, then turns around and continues back to the hills of Agbala
(b) To the yam fields
(c) Deep into the forest
(d) To where dead children are buried
Short Answer Questions
1. As the drums sound and the flutes blast, what appears out of the egwugwu house?
2. While talking with Okoye about the war, Unkona changes the subject to which topic?
3. Ezinma tells her mother, Ekwefi, that her upper eyelid is twitching. What does Ekwefi tell Ezinma the significance of the twitch is?
4. The Ibo people consider conversation to be very important. What form of conversation do they regard the most highly?
5. Anasi is Nwakibie's first wife, which makes her the ruler over the other wives of Nwakibie. She is the only wife who can wear her husband's titles. Where are the titles worn on Anasi?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)