|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the drums sound and the flutes blast, what appears out of the egwugwu house?
(a) The spirits of the ancestors emerge, followed by nine egwugwu, the masked spirits of the nine villages
(b) The Oracle of the Hills and the Caves
(c) The medicine man
(d) The priestess
2. What is the significance of the beating of drums in the village playground, the ilo, where all the great ceremonies and dances of the village take place?
(a) The drums play the wrestling dance in preparation for the wrestling match at sundown.
(b) The beating of the drums means that the wrestling match will begin at noon.
(c) The beating drums announce that there is a winner in the wrestling match.
(d) The drums beat as each wrestler is thrown to the ground.
3. Why does Okonkwo beat his second wife, Ojiugo, during the sacred Week of Peace?
(a) She disagrees with what Okonkwo has to say.
(b) She is caught with another man.
(c) She cooks a meal that Okonkwo does not like.
(d) She is at a friend's house and does not prepare Okonkwo's afternoon meal.
4. What is the one passion that rules Okonkwo's life?
(a) To hate everything his father loved.
(b) To make sure his barn was always filled with yams.
(c) To be affluent in money, wives, and children.
(d) To obtain more wealth than anyone else in Umuofia.
5. What is the strange event that takes place in the village of Ire that Ofoedo tells Okonkwo and Obierika about?
(a) The children of Ire stopped speaking for two days and went into a trance-like state.
(b) All the yams planted in the fields rotted during the night from a curse sent by evil spirits.
(c) All the people in the village of Ire awoke in the night from dreams of disasters to come.
(d) Ogbuefi Ndulue, the oldest man in the Ire village died and upon hearing about it, his wife, Ozoemena, died also.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the law state in Umuofia if a woman runs away from her husband?
2. Why does Okoye need to collect a past debt from Unkona?
3. Nine out of ten of Ekwefi's children die in infancy. After the second death, Okonkwo goes to the medicine man to find out why this is happening. What explanation does the diviner give?
4. How does Nwoye's mother treat Ikemenfuna?
5. Ezinma tells her mother, Ekwefi, that her upper eyelid is twitching. What does Ekwefi tell Ezinma the significance of the twitch is?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)