|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Okonkwo does not fear war. In the last war he fought, he brought home a souvenir which he drank palm-wine out of. What is this souvenir?
(a) A colorful, clay pot.
(b) A woven, bamboo basket.
(c) A goatskin flask.
(d) A human head.
2. As the drums sound and the flutes blast, what appears out of the egwugwu house?
(a) The medicine man
(b) The Oracle of the Hills and the Caves
(c) The spirits of the ancestors emerge, followed by nine egwugwu, the masked spirits of the nine villages
(d) The priestess
3. What is the strange event that takes place in the village of Ire that Ofoedo tells Okonkwo and Obierika about?
(a) All the yams planted in the fields rotted during the night from a curse sent by evil spirits.
(b) The children of Ire stopped speaking for two days and went into a trance-like state.
(c) All the people in the village of Ire awoke in the night from dreams of disasters to come.
(d) Ogbuefi Ndulue, the oldest man in the Ire village died and upon hearing about it, his wife, Ozoemena, died also.
4. What is the decision of the egwugwu after hearing the case for Mgbafo's family against Uzowulu?
(a) The bride-price is to be returned to Uzowulu.
(b) The bride-price is not to be paid back to Uzowulu.
(c) Uzowulu is to bring a pot of wine to Mgbafo's family and beg that his wife be returned to him. Mgbafo's family is to return her to Uzowulu when he brings the wine to them.
(d) Uzowulu is warned never to beat a woman again or he will be mutilated.
5. Under what circumstances will the people of Umuofia consult Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves?
(a) To ask for wealth, prosperity, and many newborn sons.
(b) To ask for a cure for a fatal disease.
(c) To find out if their wives are being faithful.
(d) When they are followed by misfortune, when they have a dispute with their neighbors, to see their futures, and to talk to the spirits.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ekwefi make the medicine she hopes would cure Ezinma?
2. How is the weather during the first growing season that Okonkwo starts share-cropping for Nwakibie?
3. Obierika's daughter, Akueke, is sixteen, just the right age for marrying. How does her suitor and his relatives determine if she is ripe for marriage?
4. Why doesn't Okonkwo have any patience with his father?
5. One night, the storytelling of Okonkwo 's wives and children stops because the priestess, Chielo is shouting in a high-pitched voice. What does she tell Okonkwo?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)