|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the emergency that the great orator announces at the meeting in the marketplace?
(a) The yam harvest of one of the village celebrities is stolen from his barn.
(b) The powerful medicine woman of Umuofia dies during the night.
(c) The wife of Ogbuefi Udo is murdered in Mbaino when she goes to market.
(d) The warriors of Mbaino raid one of the villages of Umuofia.
2. How does Okonkwo react to the disastrous growing season that destroy all his yams and the yams of his people?
(a) He feels he can survive anything, since he has survived this disastrous year.
(b) He cries and sinks into despair.
(c) His heart is broken from the loss of his crop, leaving him depressed and suicidal.
(d) He gives up being a farmer, and begins looking for a new trade.
3. How does Okonkwo act for two days after Ikemefuna's death?
(a) He goes into the hills and offers a sacrifice to the gods, asking their forgiveness for taking part in Ikemfuna's death.
(b) He works day and night to keep his mind occupied.
(c) He acts as if nothing has happened and continues his daily routines.
(d) He does not eat for two days, he drinks palm-wine from morning until night, he does not sleep, and he can't stop thinking about Ikemefuna.
4. Why doesn't Okonkwo have any patience with his father?
(a) Unoka is lazy, a debtor, and a failure.
(b) Unkona is a great warrior who is always away at war.
(c) Unkona spoils his wife and children, providing them with too much food and money.
(d) Unkona is overly ambitious and driven to earn the highest titles in the land.
5. How can an observer tell if a communal ceremony is only for the men of the village?
(a) There are no women present anywhere near the ceremony.
(b) The titled men and elders sit on stools while the women look on from the fringe like outsiders.
(c) There are guards stationed around the communal ceremony, preventing the women from viewing.
(d) The women gather away from the ceremony, and chat with one another.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ezinma offers to bring Okonkwo's chair to the wrestling match for him. Why did he refuse his daughter's offer?
2. Why does Unkona's neighbor, Okoye, visit him?
3. Okonkwo of Umuofia is the emissary of war to Mbaino. What does Mbaino give him as an offering for the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
4. Which men fight in the final wrestling match of the day?
5. What are the women's duties after the yams are planted?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)