|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The punishment for breaking the sacred peace changes through the years. What happened to a man that broke the Week of Peace in the past?
(a) He was hanged in the marketplace for all to see.
(b) He was tied in the village marketplace and each member of the clan spat on him.
(c) He was dragged on the ground through the village until dead.
(d) He was exiled from Umuofia, considered to be dead to all the clan.
2. How does eighteen-year-old, Okonkwo, bring honor to his village?
(a) He throws the great wrestler, Amalinze the Cat.
(b) He has a barn full of yams.
(c) He plays his flute in the village after the harvest.
(d) He has no patience with unsuccessful men.
3. Nine out of ten of Ekwefi's children die in infancy. After the second death, Okonkwo goes to the medicine man to find out why this is happening. What explanation does the diviner give?
(a) Ekwefi did not eat vegetable soup throughout her pregnancies.
(b) Ekwefi should just keep trying, and sooner or later a child would survive.
(c) Ekwefi is weak and should not become pregnant again.
(d) The child is an agbanje, a wicked child that enters the mother's womb to be born again.
4. Who is the powerful orator that informs the ten thousand men of the emergency facing the nine villages of Umuofia?
(a) Ogbuefi Ezeugo
(c) Ogbuefi Udo
5. What is used to inform all the men of the Umuofia to meet in the market place the following morning?
(a) A group of armed warriors.
(b) The beating of drums in the night.
(c) A choir of people singing the message.
(d) The town crier beating on his hollow, metal ogene.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men are in each of the two teams of wrestlers who face each other in the wrestling ring?
2. Okonkwo of Umuofia is the emissary of war to Mbaino. What does Mbaino give him as an offering for the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
3. What drives Okonkwo into a rage on the first day of the festival, leading him to beat his second wife, Ekwefi, and almost kill her with a gun?
4. What is the first trial's dispute set before Evil Forest and the egwugwu?
5. Who appears in front of Ekwefi as she waits tearfully outside Agbala's cave?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)