|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Okonkwo of Umuofia is the emissary of war to Mbaino. What does Mbaino give him as an offering for the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
(a) One of Mbaino's most powerful warriors.
(b) A fifteen-year-old boy named Ikemefuna and a young virgin to replace the murdered woman.
(c) A large monetary payment for the people of Umofia.
(d) The wife of the murderer.
2. How does Ikemenfuna feel after three weeks of illness?
(a) He gets better and is no longer afraid or sad to be in Okonkwo's home.
(b) He cries every night after his illness for his mother and sisters.
(c) He is still bitter and afraid.
(d) He vows revenge on Okonkwo and his family.
3. After speaking with the elders of nine villages, what does Okonkwo tell Ikemefuna about what is going to happen to him?
(a) That he is being killed.
(b) That he is free to go.
(c) That he is being exiled.
(d) That he is going home.
4. What happens to twins born in Umuofia?
(a) They are drowned.
(b) They are considered good luck and raised by the priestess of the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
(c) They are placed in earthenware pots and thrown away in the forest.
(d) They are revered as sacred above all other infants.
5. The punishment for breaking the sacred peace changes through the years. What happened to a man that broke the Week of Peace in the past?
(a) He was tied in the village marketplace and each member of the clan spat on him.
(b) He was exiled from Umuofia, considered to be dead to all the clan.
(c) He was dragged on the ground through the village until dead.
(d) He was hanged in the marketplace for all to see.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only way a young man can build a barn of his own if his father has no yams?
2. Nine out of ten of Ekwefi's children die in infancy. After the second death, Okonkwo goes to the medicine man to find out why this is happening. What explanation does the diviner give?
3. What is used to inform all the men of the Umuofia to meet in the market place the following morning?
4. What is the name all children of the clan except Ezinma call their mothers?
5. What does every man and his family do after the Week of Peace?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)