|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the custom in the village of Obodoani if a man dies during the Week of Peace?
(a) The man is buried as deep as two graves.
(b) The man is not buried, but cast into the Evil Forest.
(c) The man is burned to ashes, instead of buried.
(d) The man is buried outside the village.
2. What are the things that Okonkwo fears most?
(a) The forest and magic.
(b) Forces of nature.
(c) Evil and capricious gods.
(d) Failure, weakness, and himself.
3. What is used to inform all the men of the Umuofia to meet in the market place the following morning?
(a) The beating of drums in the night.
(b) A group of armed warriors.
(c) The town crier beating on his hollow, metal ogene.
(d) A choir of people singing the message.
4. What is the shameful death Unoka endures?
(a) Dying of the abomination of swollen stomach and limbs, never to be buried in the earth.
(b) Starvation due to his many failed crops.
(c) Drowning in his own vomit after too much palm-wine.
(d) Beheading because of his many unpaid debts.
5. What does Okagbue, the medicine man, dig up from under the orange tree that makes the people of the village believe that Ezinma will live to adulthood?
(a) A basket of kola nuts which were buried when Ezinma was born to trapped evil spirits. It was supposed to be dug up after a time and burned, so the evil spirits would not kill Ezinma.
(b) The cloth which was used to clean Ezinma after she was born. It was buried after the birth as a good luck charm that would keep the infant safe from harm. After digging it up, the child was to be washed with it once again to stay safe.
(c) Ezinma's iyi-uwa, a smooth pebble wrapped in a dirty rag which links Ezinma to the spirit world. It is believed that if the iyi-uwa is found and destroyed, Ezinma will not die.
(d) A sacred amulet that the priestess made for Ezinma the day she was born. Ezinma was to wear it around her neck until the day she died.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Okonkwo react to the disastrous growing season that destroy all his yams and the yams of his people?
2. When Okonkwo is angry and cannot speak because of his stutter, how does he get his point across?
3. What is the name of the boy who wins the wrestling match in the fifteen- to sixteen-year-old age group with a lightning fast move that was never seen before?
4. Ezinma offers to bring Okonkwo's chair to the wrestling match for him. Why did he refuse his daughter's offer?
5. What is the emergency that the great orator announces at the meeting in the marketplace?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)