|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Okonkwo insult Osugo at a meeting by calling him a woman?
(a) Osugo is making womanly hand gestures during the meeting.
(b) Osugo is talking in a feminine voice.
(c) Okonkwo calls Osugo a woman because Osugo has no titles and contradicted what Okonkwo had been saying.
(d) Osugo is complaining and whining.
2. What is the name of the boy who wins the wrestling match in the fifteen- to sixteen-year-old age group with a lightning fast move that was never seen before?
3. Ezinma tells her mother, Ekwefi, that her upper eyelid is twitching. What does Ekwefi tell Ezinma the significance of the twitch is?
(a) It means Ezinma will see something.
(b) It means the rains will come early this year.
(c) It means Ezinma is going to cry.
(d) It means Ezinma will have many children.
4. What is used to inform all the men of the Umuofia to meet in the market place the following morning?
(a) A choir of people singing the message.
(b) A group of armed warriors.
(c) The town crier beating on his hollow, metal ogene.
(d) The beating of drums in the night.
5. Why do men and women look forward to the Feast of the New Yam?
(a) It is a feast of yam stew made from all the leftover yams of the past harvest, which is divided among all the people.
(b) It is the beginning of the season of plenty--the new year. It begins with huge quantities of fresh yams, yam foo foo and vegetable soup.
(c) The men and women cook and feed each other the yams from the previous harvest so that no food will be wasted.
(d) It is a festival of dancing around the new yams of the season and eating the rest of the old yams for the previous year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Okonkwo considered one of the greatest men of his time?
2. What is the strange event that takes place in the village of Ire that Ofoedo tells Okonkwo and Obierika about?
3. Okonkwo of Umuofia is the emissary of war to Mbaino. What does Mbaino give him as an offering for the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
4. Okonkwo does not fear war. In the last war he fought, he brought home a souvenir which he drank palm-wine out of. What is this souvenir?
5. Why is Okonkwo's twelve-year-old son, Nwoye, causing him great anxiety?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)