|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Unkona's neighbor, Okoye, visit him?
(a) To talk about music.
(b) To pray with Unkona for life, health, and protection from enemies.
(c) To collect a two-year-old debt of two hundred cowries.
(d) To share kola nuts with Unkona.
2. What is the custom in the village of Obodoani if a man dies during the Week of Peace?
(a) The man is burned to ashes, instead of buried.
(b) The man is buried as deep as two graves.
(c) The man is buried outside the village.
(d) The man is not buried, but cast into the Evil Forest.
3. How do the women of the clan prepare for the Feast of the New Yam?
(a) They gather in the marketplace to share all their clothing, jewelry and sandals with one another. They wear each others belongings to prove to the goddess, Ani, that they are worthy people.
(b) They cleanse their bodies, wear a simple robe and sandles, and scrub their faces. They are to go to the festival free of all paint, jewelry, or ornamentation of any kind.
(c) They scrub the walls and huts with red earth, draw patterns on them in white, yellow and green, paint themselves with cam wood, and draw black patterns on their stomach and backs.
(d) They decorate robes with intricate patterns made of colored beans, plaite each others hair, color their faces with red clay, and make veils to cover their faces during the festival.
4. Where does the powerful Oracle of the Hills, Agbala, live?
(a) Through a round hole in the side of the hill leading to a dimly lit cave.
(b) In a large, handsomely endowed compound in the hills filled with the gifts from those asking for a consultation.
(c) In the treetops with all the climbing creatures of Umuofia.
(d) Deep underground with the creatures of the soil, beneath the hills and all things that live above the ground.
5. Who is the priestess of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, in real life?
(a) Ekwefi, the second wife of Okonkwo
(b) Noywe's mother
(c) Chielo, a widow with two children
(d) Anasi, Okonkwo's first wife
Short Answer Questions
1. Ezinma offers to bring Okonkwo's chair to the wrestling match for him. Why did he refuse his daughter's offer?
2. Okonkwo of Umuofia is the emissary of war to Mbaino. What does Mbaino give him as an offering for the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
3. When Okonkwo was a boy, his father, Unoka, consults Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills, about why his crops always fail.. What reply did the Oracle give?
4. What is the significance of the beating of drums in the village playground, the ilo, where all the great ceremonies and dances of the village take place?
5. What is the one passion that rules Okonkwo's life?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)