|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Okonkwo bring with him to share with the wealthy Nwakibie and his family before asking for yam seeds and share cropping privileges?
(a) A bamboo basket and a goatflask.
(b) Palm-wine, a cock, kola nut, and alligator pepper.
(c) Campfire wood, and a pot of soup.
(d) Goat's milk and eggs.
2. What is Okonkwo's punishment for committing a "nso-ani" during the Week of Peace?
(a) Bring a bamboo basket of yams, a flask of palm-wine and a hen to the shrine of Ani.
(b) Go to the shrine of Ani, fast for three days, and beg forgiveness for breaking the sacred peace.
(c) Bring a she-goat, one hen, a length of cloth, and a hundred cowries to the shrine of Ani.
(d) Go to the shrine of Ani and confess his disrespectful behavior to the gods of the clan, remaining on his knees throughout a day and night.
3. What is the emergency that the great orator announces at the meeting in the marketplace?
(a) The powerful medicine woman of Umuofia dies during the night.
(b) The wife of Ogbuefi Udo is murdered in Mbaino when she goes to market.
(c) The yam harvest of one of the village celebrities is stolen from his barn.
(d) The warriors of Mbaino raid one of the villages of Umuofia.
4. What is the one passion that rules Okonkwo's life?
(a) To be affluent in money, wives, and children.
(b) To make sure his barn was always filled with yams.
(c) To hate everything his father loved.
(d) To obtain more wealth than anyone else in Umuofia.
5. What does Okonkwo bring back from the bush while Ezinma lays sick in Ekwefi's hut?
(a) Soil from the bush to mix with water and form into mud which can be rubbed on Ezinma's body to bring down the fever.
(b) Three small birds to offer as sacrifice to the gods, so Ezinma will get well.
(c) A bundle of medicinal plants, grasses, leaves, roots and barks.
(d) Bananas to mix with palm oil, forming a paste which Ezinma can eat easily. This will help keep up her strength.
Short Answer Questions
1. Okonkwo and the men of Umuofia take Ikemefuna deep into the forest and kill him with machetes. Who gives the final thrust of the machete that ends Ikemefuna's life?
2. Obierika's daughter, Akueke, is sixteen, just the right age for marrying. How does her suitor and his relatives determine if she is ripe for marriage?
3. What does Okagbue, the medicine man, dig up from under the orange tree that makes the people of the village believe that Ezinma will live to adulthood?
4. Okonkwo is very prosperous, owning a large compound with many huts, and an abundance of food. Ikemefuna is given to Okonkwo to live with him until the clan decides Ikemefuna's fate. How does Ikemefuna react to living with Okonkwo?
5. How are the children of the village prepared for the Feast of the New Yam?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)