|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the people of Umuofia observe the Week of Peace?
(a) It is a week of happy celebration, dancing, and feasting with everyone in the village. It creates a peaceful, cooperative atmosphere that is supposed to last throughout the year.
(b) Their forefather's ordained that before they planted any crops, they have to observe a week where it is forbidden to say a harsh word to a neighbor. This honors the god of the earth, so that the crops will grow.
(c) It is a time to set aside differences with families and neighbors, forgiving them for past offenses.
(d) It is a time for families to develop bonds of love and understanding, making their relationships strong.
2. What is the shameful death Unoka endures?
(a) Dying of the abomination of swollen stomach and limbs, never to be buried in the earth.
(b) Starvation due to his many failed crops.
(c) Beheading because of his many unpaid debts.
(d) Drowning in his own vomit after too much palm-wine.
3. After speaking with the elders of nine villages, what does Okonkwo tell Ikemefuna about what is going to happen to him?
(a) That he is going home.
(b) That he is being exiled.
(c) That he is free to go.
(d) That he is being killed.
4. What do the people of Umuofia fear in the night?
(a) Evil spirits, dangerous animals, and snakes.
(b) Bandits in search of money and food.
(c) Kidnappers looking for children to sell as slaves.
(d) Rogue warriors from Mbaino.
5. What are the things that Okonkwo fears most?
(a) Failure, weakness, and himself.
(b) Forces of nature.
(c) The forest and magic.
(d) Evil and capricious gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Okonkwo of Umuofia is the emissary of war to Mbaino. What does Mbaino give him as an offering for the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
2. What is the emergency that the great orator announces at the meeting in the marketplace?
3. Which of the spectators of the wrestling match are allowed to sit around the huge circle of the wrestling ring?
4. While talking with Okoye about the war, Unkona changes the subject to which topic?
5. Nine out of ten of Ekwefi's children die in infancy. After the second death, Okonkwo goes to the medicine man to find out why this is happening. What explanation does the diviner give?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)