|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first day of the new year is celebrated with feasting and fellowship. What takes place on the second day of the new year?
(a) The gathering of all the village musicians for singing and dancing.
(b) A gathering in the marketplace for the preparation of the new yams for planting.
(c) A play enacting the planting of yams put on by the children of all the villages in Umuofia.
(d) The great wrestling match between Okonkwo's village and their neighbors.
2. How does Nwoye's mother treat Ikemenfuna?
(a) She ignores him, resenting that he is someone else's child.
(b) She is very kind to him and treats him like one of her own children.
(c) She mistreats him, letting him go for days with nothing to eat.
(d) She makes him work like a slave.
3. Why is Okonkwo's twelve-year-old son, Nwoye, causing him great anxiety?
(a) Nwoye complains about having to work in the fields from dawn to dusk.
(b) Nwoye is a wild, unruly boy.
(c) Okonkwo is jealous of his son's growing strength.
(d) Okonkwo believes his son to be lazy.
4. How does Okonkwo react to the disastrous growing season that destroy all his yams and the yams of his people?
(a) He feels he can survive anything, since he has survived this disastrous year.
(b) He gives up being a farmer, and begins looking for a new trade.
(c) His heart is broken from the loss of his crop, leaving him depressed and suicidal.
(d) He cries and sinks into despair.
5. Which of the spectators of the wrestling match are allowed to sit around the huge circle of the wrestling ring?
(a) The elders, grandees, a few early comers in the stands, and the drummers.
(b) The wrestlers waiting for their matches.
(c) Women and children.
(d) Pregnant women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do men and women look forward to the Feast of the New Yam?
2. What is the significance of the beating of drums in the village playground, the ilo, where all the great ceremonies and dances of the village take place?
3. What is used to inform all the men of the Umuofia to meet in the market place the following morning?
4. Obiageli, Nwoye's sister, comes home crying because her water pot is broken. How did her waterpot break?
5. What are the things that Okonkwo fears most?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)