|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the powerful orator that informs the ten thousand men of the emergency facing the nine villages of Umuofia?
(b) Ogbuefi Udo
(d) Ogbuefi Ezeugo
2. Why do men and women look forward to the Feast of the New Yam?
(a) The men and women cook and feed each other the yams from the previous harvest so that no food will be wasted.
(b) It is the beginning of the season of plenty--the new year. It begins with huge quantities of fresh yams, yam foo foo and vegetable soup.
(c) It is a festival of dancing around the new yams of the season and eating the rest of the old yams for the previous year.
(d) It is a feast of yam stew made from all the leftover yams of the past harvest, which is divided among all the people.
3. Why is the big, ancient silk-cotton tree in the playground considered sacred?
(a) The spirits of good children waiting to be born live in the tree.
(b) The tree holds the spirits of all the ancestors of the clan.
(c) The tree is believed to have been the first tree in existence.
(d) The tree holds all the spirits of the men who died in wars since the beginning of time.
4. What is the emergency that the great orator announces at the meeting in the marketplace?
(a) The yam harvest of one of the village celebrities is stolen from his barn.
(b) The warriors of Mbaino raid one of the villages of Umuofia.
(c) The wife of Ogbuefi Udo is murdered in Mbaino when she goes to market.
(d) The powerful medicine woman of Umuofia dies during the night.
5. How does Okonkwo react to the disastrous growing season that destroy all his yams and the yams of his people?
(a) He gives up being a farmer, and begins looking for a new trade.
(b) He feels he can survive anything, since he has survived this disastrous year.
(c) He cries and sinks into despair.
(d) His heart is broken from the loss of his crop, leaving him depressed and suicidal.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the children of the village prepared for the Feast of the New Yam?
2. What are the things that Okonkwo fears most?
3. Who is Okonkwo's father?
4. Which men fight in the final wrestling match of the day?
5. Why is Okonkwo considered one of the greatest men of his time?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)