|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Okonkwo of Umuofia is the emissary of war to Mbaino. What does Mbaino give him as an offering for the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
(a) A fifteen-year-old boy named Ikemefuna and a young virgin to replace the murdered woman.
(b) A large monetary payment for the people of Umofia.
(c) One of Mbaino's most powerful warriors.
(d) The wife of the murderer.
2. How does eighteen-year-old, Okonkwo, bring honor to his village?
(a) He has no patience with unsuccessful men.
(b) He has a barn full of yams.
(c) He plays his flute in the village after the harvest.
(d) He throws the great wrestler, Amalinze the Cat.
3. How does Nwoye's mother treat Ikemenfuna?
(a) She is very kind to him and treats him like one of her own children.
(b) She ignores him, resenting that he is someone else's child.
(c) She mistreats him, letting him go for days with nothing to eat.
(d) She makes him work like a slave.
4. Why do the people of Umuofia observe the Week of Peace?
(a) Their forefather's ordained that before they planted any crops, they have to observe a week where it is forbidden to say a harsh word to a neighbor. This honors the god of the earth, so that the crops will grow.
(b) It is a time for families to develop bonds of love and understanding, making their relationships strong.
(c) It is a time to set aside differences with families and neighbors, forgiving them for past offenses.
(d) It is a week of happy celebration, dancing, and feasting with everyone in the village. It creates a peaceful, cooperative atmosphere that is supposed to last throughout the year.
5. How does Ezinma, the daughter of Okonkwo's second wife, bring fire to Nwoye's mother's hut?
(a) Ekwefi, Okonkwo's second wife, puts live coals into a piece of broken pot and Ezinma carries it to Nwoye's mother.
(b) Ekwefi, Okonkwo's second wife, makes a torch of banana leaves and palm oil, and gives it to Ezinma to carry to Nwoye's mother.
(c) Ezinma carries a flaming stick across the compound to Nwoye's mother's hut.
(d) Ekwefi, Okonkwo's second wife, gives Ezinma a clay pot with burning leaves inside to carry to Nwoye's mother's hut.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the women's duties after the yams are planted?
2. Who is Okonkwo's father?
3. Who is the powerful orator that informs the ten thousand men of the emergency facing the nine villages of Umuofia?
4. Ezinma tells her mother, Ekwefi, that her upper eyelid is twitching. What does Ekwefi tell Ezinma the significance of the twitch is?
5. How is the weather during the first growing season that Okonkwo starts share-cropping for Nwakibie?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)