|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the festival that gives thanks to Ani, the earth goddess and source of fertility?
(a) The New Yam Festival
(b) The Seeds of Life Festival
(c) The Mother of the Earth Festival
(d) The Yam Harvest Festival
2. How is the weather during the first growing season that Okonkwo starts share-cropping for Nwakibie?
(a) The worst in memory: late rains and scorching sun kill the yams, then torrential downpours wash the seeds away.
(b) Some good days, and some bad: the yams grow, but not to their potential. Some days were too hot and some rains too severe.
(c) The beginning of the season is poor weather for growing yams, but the second planting of the season grows huge yams, sweet and plump.
(d) The best growing weather ever: yams flourish with the nightly rains and sunny days.
3. When Okonkwo was a boy, his father, Unoka, consults Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills, about why his crops always fail.. What reply did the Oracle give?
(a) That he should stay home and offer sacrifices to the gods.
(b) That Unoka sows his yams on exhausted land rather than making the effort to clear new land.
(c) That he angers his ancestors and they plague his land.
(d) That Unoka has offended the gods and that is why his crop fail.
4. How many men are in each of the two teams of wrestlers who face each other in the wrestling ring?
(a) Twelve men on each side
(b) Nine men on each side
(c) Five men on each side
(d) Six men on each side
5. The first day of the new year is celebrated with feasting and fellowship. What takes place on the second day of the new year?
(a) A play enacting the planting of yams put on by the children of all the villages in Umuofia.
(b) A gathering in the marketplace for the preparation of the new yams for planting.
(c) The gathering of all the village musicians for singing and dancing.
(d) The great wrestling match between Okonkwo's village and their neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Okonkwo considered one of the greatest men of his time?
2. How does Ezinma, the daughter of Okonkwo's second wife, bring fire to Nwoye's mother's hut?
3. Okonkwo of Umuofia is the emissary of war to Mbaino. What does Mbaino give him as an offering for the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
4. How long is Ikemenfuna in Okonkwo's care?
5. Okonkwo does not fear war. In the last war he fought, he brought home a souvenir which he drank palm-wine out of. What is this souvenir?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)