|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the powerful Oracle of the Hills, Agbala, live?
(a) In a large, handsomely endowed compound in the hills filled with the gifts from those asking for a consultation.
(b) Deep underground with the creatures of the soil, beneath the hills and all things that live above the ground.
(c) In the treetops with all the climbing creatures of Umuofia.
(d) Through a round hole in the side of the hill leading to a dimly lit cave.
2. Why does Unkona change the subject to music when he and Oybe are discussing the impending war with the village of Mbaino?
(a) Unkona is a coward and can't stand the sight of blood.
(b) Unkona wants to stay home to take care of his yam harvest.
(c) Unkona knows he would have to leave his family to fight in the war.
(d) Unkona is afraid to think about people of his village being hurt.
3. What does every man and his family do after the Week of Peace?
(a) Has a feast to celebrate with each other.
(b) Cuts bush to make new farms, burns the bush and flies kites over the burning fields.
(c) Gathers in the marketplace to visit with neighbors.
(d) Plays flutes, dances and sings before planting the crops.
4. What is Okonkwo's punishment for committing a "nso-ani" during the Week of Peace?
(a) Bring a she-goat, one hen, a length of cloth, and a hundred cowries to the shrine of Ani.
(b) Bring a bamboo basket of yams, a flask of palm-wine and a hen to the shrine of Ani.
(c) Go to the shrine of Ani, fast for three days, and beg forgiveness for breaking the sacred peace.
(d) Go to the shrine of Ani and confess his disrespectful behavior to the gods of the clan, remaining on his knees throughout a day and night.
5. Okonkwo does not fear war. In the last war he fought, he brought home a souvenir which he drank palm-wine out of. What is this souvenir?
(a) A colorful, clay pot.
(b) A woven, bamboo basket.
(c) A goatskin flask.
(d) A human head.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the powerful orator that informs the ten thousand men of the emergency facing the nine villages of Umuofia?
2. While talking with Okoye about the war, Unkona changes the subject to which topic?
3. Okonkwo of Umuofia is the emissary of war to Mbaino. What does Mbaino give him as an offering for the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
4. How does Unoka react when Okoye asks him to repay the two hundred cowries owed to him?
5. What are the women's duties after the yams are planted?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)