Eight Week Quiz D
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The punishment for breaking the sacred peace changes through the years. What happened to a man that broke the Week of Peace in the past?
(a) He was exiled from Umuofia, considered to be dead to all the clan.
(b) He was tied in the village marketplace and each member of the clan spat on him.
(c) He was hanged in the marketplace for all to see.
(d) He was dragged on the ground through the village until dead.
2. How does Ekwefi make the medicine she hopes would cure Ezinma?
(a) She grounds kola nuts and bananas together, forming a paste to put on Ezinma's tongue.
(b) She puts a pot on the fire, adding medicinal plants, grasses, leaves, roots and barks. She brought them to a boil being careful that it didn't boil over and lose its power.
(c) She mixes palm-wine and red clay into a medicinal mud and rubs it on Ezinma's face and chest.
(d) She boiled a hen, added yams and nuts to make a medicinal broth for Ezinma to drink.
3. How do the women of the clan prepare for the Feast of the New Yam?
(a) They cleanse their bodies, wear a simple robe and sandles, and scrub their faces. They are to go to the festival free of all paint, jewelry, or ornamentation of any kind.
(b) They scrub the walls and huts with red earth, draw patterns on them in white, yellow and green, paint themselves with cam wood, and draw black patterns on their stomach and backs.
(c) They decorate robes with intricate patterns made of colored beans, plaite each others hair, color their faces with red clay, and make veils to cover their faces during the festival.
(d) They gather in the marketplace to share all their clothing, jewelry and sandals with one another. They wear each others belongings to prove to the goddess, Ani, that they are worthy people.
4. Which of the spectators of the wrestling match are allowed to sit around the huge circle of the wrestling ring?
(a) The elders, grandees, a few early comers in the stands, and the drummers.
(b) The wrestlers waiting for their matches.
(c) Pregnant women.
(d) Women and children.
5. The first day of the new year is celebrated with feasting and fellowship. What takes place on the second day of the new year?
(a) The gathering of all the village musicians for singing and dancing.
(b) A play enacting the planting of yams put on by the children of all the villages in Umuofia.
(c) The great wrestling match between Okonkwo's village and their neighbors.
(d) A gathering in the marketplace for the preparation of the new yams for planting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the emergency that the great orator announces at the meeting in the marketplace?
2. Under what circumstances will the people of Umuofia consult Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves?
3. What is the name of the boy who wins the wrestling match in the fifteen- to sixteen-year-old age group with a lightning fast move that was never seen before?
4. Why does Okonkwo insult Osugo at a meeting by calling him a woman?
5. What is the name all children of the clan except Ezinma call their mothers?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)