|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Obierika tell Okonkwo that it is too late to fight the white man and drive him from the land?
(a) The white men have powerful spirits who protected them.
(b) There are too many white men.
(c) The white men are more courageous than the men of Umuofia.
(d) Because their own men and sons have joined the white man's religion and government.
2. What do the missionaries tell the Mbanta people about their gods?
(a) They are gods of deceit who tell you to kill your fellows and destroy innocent children.
(b) The gods are true and should be sacrificed to for abundant crops.
(c) They are mythical, friendly gods but are not real.
(d) They are wonderful, loving gods, but are not the one true God.
3. What is the one passion that rules Okonkwo's life?
(a) To be affluent in money, wives, and children.
(b) To obtain more wealth than anyone else in Umuofia.
(c) To make sure his barn was always filled with yams.
(d) To hate everything his father loved.
4. How many men are in each of the two teams of wrestlers who face each other in the wrestling ring?
(a) Nine men on each side
(b) Five men on each side
(c) Twelve men on each side
(d) Six men on each side
5. Nine out of ten of Ekwefi's children die in infancy. After the second death, Okonkwo goes to the medicine man to find out why this is happening. What explanation does the diviner give?
(a) Ekwefi did not eat vegetable soup throughout her pregnancies.
(b) The child is an agbanje, a wicked child that enters the mother's womb to be born again.
(c) Ekwefi is weak and should not become pregnant again.
(d) Ekwefi should just keep trying, and sooner or later a child would survive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What descends on the land of Okonkwo, darkens the sky, settles on the rooftops, and breaks mighty tree branches under them?
2. What drives Okonkwo into a rage on the first day of the festival, leading him to beat his second wife, Ekwefi, and almost kill her with a gun?
3. Ezinma tells her mother, Ekwefi, that her upper eyelid is twitching. What does Ekwefi tell Ezinma the significance of the twitch is?
4. After speaking with the elders of nine villages, what does Okonkwo tell Ikemefuna about what is going to happen to him?
5. What is the name of the first woman to join the Christian missionaries?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)