|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
(a) They are referring to Mother Earth and how she is fertile for the yams.
(b) They believe in the very first mother of all men, giving life to all the men who came after.
(c) When a man is sorrowful and bitter, he seeks refuge in his motherland because his mother is there to protect him. It is where she is buried.
(d) They are referring to the mother of all gods, guiding them to rule the world.
2. Which men fight in the final wrestling match of the day?
(a) The wealthiest men from each of the nine villages.
(b) Men chosen by the elders from each of the nine villages.
(c) Men elected in each of the nine villages.
(d) The leaders of the teams are made up of the best wrestlers in the nine villages.
3. As the drums sound and the flutes blast, what appears out of the egwugwu house?
(a) The spirits of the ancestors emerge, followed by nine egwugwu, the masked spirits of the nine villages
(b) The medicine man
(c) The Oracle of the Hills and the Caves
(d) The priestess
4. What hopes does Okonkwo have for his son, Nwoye's , future?
(a) He hopes Nwoye would be a fair, just, and wise father and husband, showing kindness and love to his family.
(b) He wants Nwoye to be a great warrior with many heroic victories to his name.
(c) He wants Nwoye to be prosperous, that he will have enough to feed the ancestors with regular sacrifices, and he will be able to rule his women and children.
(d) He wants Nwoye to be a talented musician, performing at all the festivals in the nine villages.
5. The first day of the new year is celebrated with feasting and fellowship. What takes place on the second day of the new year?
(a) The gathering of all the village musicians for singing and dancing.
(b) A gathering in the marketplace for the preparation of the new yams for planting.
(c) A play enacting the planting of yams put on by the children of all the villages in Umuofia.
(d) The great wrestling match between Okonkwo's village and their neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
2. What does Okonkwo bring with him to share with the wealthy Nwakibie and his family before asking for yam seeds and share cropping privileges?
3. What do the people of Mbanta expect to happen to the missionaries when they start building their church?
4. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
5. Where does Obierika send one of his relatives to get a fat goat to give to his in-laws during the uri?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)