|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the white missionary that makes friends with great men of the clan and is presented with a carved elephant tusk?
(a) Mr. Penn
(b) Mr. Kiaga
(c) Mr. Smith
(d) Mr. Brown
2. What does Okagbue, the medicine man, dig up from under the orange tree that makes the people of the village believe that Ezinma will live to adulthood?
(a) Ezinma's iyi-uwa, a smooth pebble wrapped in a dirty rag which links Ezinma to the spirit world. It is believed that if the iyi-uwa is found and destroyed, Ezinma will not die.
(b) The cloth which was used to clean Ezinma after she was born. It was buried after the birth as a good luck charm that would keep the infant safe from harm. After digging it up, the child was to be washed with it once again to stay safe.
(c) A basket of kola nuts which were buried when Ezinma was born to trapped evil spirits. It was supposed to be dug up after a time and burned, so the evil spirits would not kill Ezinma.
(d) A sacred amulet that the priestess made for Ezinma the day she was born. Ezinma was to wear it around her neck until the day she died.
3. How can an observer tell if a communal ceremony is only for the men of the village?
(a) The women gather away from the ceremony, and chat with one another.
(b) The titled men and elders sit on stools while the women look on from the fringe like outsiders.
(c) There are guards stationed around the communal ceremony, preventing the women from viewing.
(d) There are no women present anywhere near the ceremony.
4. Who is the priestess of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, in real life?
(a) Ekwefi, the second wife of Okonkwo
(b) Noywe's mother
(c) Chielo, a widow with two children
(d) Anasi, Okonkwo's first wife
5. Ezinma offers to bring Okonkwo's chair to the wrestling match for him. Why did he refuse his daughter's offer?
(a) Men prefer to stand during the wrestling match.
(b) Carrying the chair is a boy's job.
(c) Only grown women carry their husband's chairs.
(d) He will be busy with preparing the wrestlers for the match and wouldn't need the chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
2. How many missionaries go to Mbanta?
3. What is the first trial's dispute set before Evil Forest and the egwugwu?
4. What does the law state in Umuofia if a woman runs away from her husband?
5. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)