|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What drives Okonkwo into a rage on the first day of the festival, leading him to beat his second wife, Ekwefi, and almost kill her with a gun?
(a) Okonkwo is angry because his second wife has not scrubbed the walls of her hut with red earth, and has neglected the rituals of the people.
(b) She burns the vegetable soup she is preparing for the festival.
(c) Okonkwo finds that his second wife has not prepared her children in the traditional fashion of the clan for the festival.
(d) He believes his wife killed a banana tree in the compound, even though it is still alive. She also comments on his inability to shoot well.
2. What happens to twins born in Umuofia?
(a) They are drowned.
(b) They are considered good luck and raised by the priestess of the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
(c) They are revered as sacred above all other infants.
(d) They are placed in earthenware pots and thrown away in the forest.
3. Why is Okonkwo's twelve-year-old son, Nwoye, causing him great anxiety?
(a) Okonkwo is jealous of his son's growing strength.
(b) Nwoye complains about having to work in the fields from dawn to dusk.
(c) Nwoye is a wild, unruly boy.
(d) Okonkwo believes his son to be lazy.
4. When Okonkwo was a boy, his father, Unoka, consults Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills, about why his crops always fail.. What reply did the Oracle give?
(a) That Unoka has offended the gods and that is why his crop fail.
(b) That Unoka sows his yams on exhausted land rather than making the effort to clear new land.
(c) That he angers his ancestors and they plague his land.
(d) That he should stay home and offer sacrifices to the gods.
5. Who is the priestess of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, in real life?
(a) Chielo, a widow with two children
(b) Noywe's mother
(c) Anasi, Okonkwo's first wife
(d) Ekwefi, the second wife of Okonkwo
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Okonkwo react to the disastrous growing season that destroy all his yams and the yams of his people?
2. Okonkwo is sitting in his obi with Ikemefuna and Nwoye, eating dried locusts when Ogbuefi Ezeudu comes with a message. What is the message?
3. What are the things that Okonkwo fears most?
4. Who is the powerful orator that informs the ten thousand men of the emergency facing the nine villages of Umuofia?
5. How does Ezinma, the daughter of Okonkwo's second wife, bring fire to Nwoye's mother's hut?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)