|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Umuofia feared by all its neighbors?
(a) It is powerful in war and magic and has a strong war medicine called agadi-nwayi.
(b) The medicine woman curses all its enemies.
(c) Umuofia goes to war whether the case is clear and just or not.
(d) It never tries to find a peaceful settlement before going to war.
2. What drives Okonkwo into a rage on the first day of the festival, leading him to beat his second wife, Ekwefi, and almost kill her with a gun?
(a) He believes his wife killed a banana tree in the compound, even though it is still alive. She also comments on his inability to shoot well.
(b) Okonkwo is angry because his second wife has not scrubbed the walls of her hut with red earth, and has neglected the rituals of the people.
(c) Okonkwo finds that his second wife has not prepared her children in the traditional fashion of the clan for the festival.
(d) She burns the vegetable soup she is preparing for the festival.
3. What is the significance of the beating of drums in the village playground, the ilo, where all the great ceremonies and dances of the village take place?
(a) The drums play the wrestling dance in preparation for the wrestling match at sundown.
(b) The beating of the drums means that the wrestling match will begin at noon.
(c) The drums beat as each wrestler is thrown to the ground.
(d) The beating drums announce that there is a winner in the wrestling match.
4. What happens to twins born in Umuofia?
(a) They are placed in earthenware pots and thrown away in the forest.
(b) They are revered as sacred above all other infants.
(c) They are drowned.
(d) They are considered good luck and raised by the priestess of the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
5. Anasi is Nwakibie's first wife, which makes her the ruler over the other wives of Nwakibie. She is the only wife who can wear her husband's titles. Where are the titles worn on Anasi?
(a) Tattooed on her upper arm.
(b) In a hair piece.
(c) On a necklace.
(d) On an anklet.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the children of the village prepared for the Feast of the New Yam?
2. What is used to inform all the men of the Umuofia to meet in the market place the following morning?
3. Ezinma tells her mother, Ekwefi, that her upper eyelid is twitching. What does Ekwefi tell Ezinma the significance of the twitch is?
4. Who is the powerful orator that informs the ten thousand men of the emergency facing the nine villages of Umuofia?
5. Why does Nwakibie trust Okonkwo to farm his yam seeds?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)