|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the significance of the beating of drums in the village playground, the ilo, where all the great ceremonies and dances of the village take place?
(a) The drums beat as each wrestler is thrown to the ground.
(b) The drums play the wrestling dance in preparation for the wrestling match at sundown.
(c) The beating drums announce that there is a winner in the wrestling match.
(d) The beating of the drums means that the wrestling match will begin at noon.
2. What is the festival that gives thanks to Ani, the earth goddess and source of fertility?
(a) The Mother of the Earth Festival
(b) The Seeds of Life Festival
(c) The Yam Harvest Festival
(d) The New Yam Festival
3. Who is the priestess of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, in real life?
(a) Anasi, Okonkwo's first wife
(b) Chielo, a widow with two children
(c) Noywe's mother
(d) Ekwefi, the second wife of Okonkwo
4. How is the weather during the first growing season that Okonkwo starts share-cropping for Nwakibie?
(a) The beginning of the season is poor weather for growing yams, but the second planting of the season grows huge yams, sweet and plump.
(b) The worst in memory: late rains and scorching sun kill the yams, then torrential downpours wash the seeds away.
(c) Some good days, and some bad: the yams grow, but not to their potential. Some days were too hot and some rains too severe.
(d) The best growing weather ever: yams flourish with the nightly rains and sunny days.
5. Why is the big, ancient silk-cotton tree in the playground considered sacred?
(a) The tree is believed to have been the first tree in existence.
(b) The tree holds all the spirits of the men who died in wars since the beginning of time.
(c) The spirits of good children waiting to be born live in the tree.
(d) The tree holds the spirits of all the ancestors of the clan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Okonkwo is very prosperous, owning a large compound with many huts, and an abundance of food. Ikemefuna is given to Okonkwo to live with him until the clan decides Ikemefuna's fate. How does Ikemefuna react to living with Okonkwo?
2. Where does the powerful Oracle of the Hills, Agbala, live?
3. What ultimatum is dispatched to Mbaino as a consequence of the murder of the woman from Umuofia?
4. What descends on the land of Okonkwo, darkens the sky, settles on the rooftops, and breaks mighty tree branches under them?
5. Which men fight in the final wrestling match of the day?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)