|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the priestess do when she brings Ezinma out of Agbala's cave?
(a) She doesn't say a word to Okonkwo or Ekwefi, but carries Ezinma back to Okonkwo's compound and places Ezinma in bed.
(b) She comes out of the cave and tells Okonkwo and Ekwefi that Agbala wants them to leave, or Ezinma will be sacrificed.
(c) She comes out of the cave, giving Okonkwo and Ekwefi a lock of Ezinma's hair. She tells them to bury it in the yam field.
(d) She comes out of the cave alone, telling Okonkwo and Ekwefi that Ezinma has to remain in the cave for two days and nights.
2. What does Uchendu, the younger brother of Okonkwo's mother, give to Okonkwo after he comes looking for refuge?
(a) A basket of yams and palm-wine for his travels
(b) A plot of ground, and two or three pieces of land
(c) A gun to protect him and his family during their exile
(d) Advice on living in the forest
3. Why do all the women abandon preparing the food for the uri and rush off to the Obierika's crop field?
(a) A fire broke out in the field and the women have to stomp it out.
(b) The locusts landed on the crops and have to be brushed off the leaves.
(c) A neighbor's child went to the field and started picking the crops.
(d) There is a cow loose in the field eating the crops and the women have to catch it.
4. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
(a) They are referring to Mother Earth and how she is fertile for the yams.
(b) When a man is sorrowful and bitter, he seeks refuge in his motherland because his mother is there to protect him. It is where she is buried.
(c) They are referring to the mother of all gods, guiding them to rule the world.
(d) They believe in the very first mother of all men, giving life to all the men who came after.
5. Who is the priestess of Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves, in real life?
(a) Noywe's mother
(b) Chielo, a widow with two children
(c) Anasi, Okonkwo's first wife
(d) Ekwefi, the second wife of Okonkwo
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Obierika send one of his relatives to get a fat goat to give to his in-laws during the uri?
2. Why is the big, ancient silk-cotton tree in the playground considered sacred?
3. Which of the spectators of the wrestling match are allowed to sit around the huge circle of the wrestling ring?
4. How does Ekwefi make the medicine she hopes would cure Ezinma?
5. Nine out of ten of Ekwefi's children die in infancy. After the second death, Okonkwo goes to the medicine man to find out why this is happening. What explanation does the diviner give?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)