|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men are in each of the two teams of wrestlers who face each other in the wrestling ring?
(a) Twelve men on each side
(b) Nine men on each side
(c) Five men on each side
(d) Six men on each side
2. Nine out of ten of Ekwefi's children die in infancy. After the second death, Okonkwo goes to the medicine man to find out why this is happening. What explanation does the diviner give?
(a) Ekwefi did not eat vegetable soup throughout her pregnancies.
(b) The child is an agbanje, a wicked child that enters the mother's womb to be born again.
(c) Ekwefi is weak and should not become pregnant again.
(d) Ekwefi should just keep trying, and sooner or later a child would survive.
3. Who is the first man Okonkwo works for as a share-cropper ?
(d) Ogbuefi Udo
4. Where does the powerful Oracle of the Hills, Agbala, live?
(a) In the treetops with all the climbing creatures of Umuofia.
(b) In a large, handsomely endowed compound in the hills filled with the gifts from those asking for a consultation.
(c) Deep underground with the creatures of the soil, beneath the hills and all things that live above the ground.
(d) Through a round hole in the side of the hill leading to a dimly lit cave.
5. What are the traditional events when night falls and it is time to end Obierika's daughter's uri?
(a) The elders sit in a circle while singers sing each man's praise. Then the guest's rise to go and the bride is to leave with them for seven weeks.
(b) The women gather all the pots, filling them with leftover food and give each guest a pot to take home.
(c) The leftover wine is divided into flasks for the guests to take home.
(d) The singers sing a song of praise to Obierika for such a wonderful celebration.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do all the women abandon preparing the food for the uri and rush off to the Obierika's crop field?
2. Under what circumstances will the people of Umuofia consult Agbala, the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves?
3. What are the crops that are considered women's crops by the people of Umuofia?
4. What is the name all children of the clan except Ezinma call their mothers?
5. How many pots of wine do Obierika's in-laws brink to his home for the uri?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)