|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the weather during the first growing season that Okonkwo starts share-cropping for Nwakibie?
(a) Some good days, and some bad: the yams grow, but not to their potential. Some days were too hot and some rains too severe.
(b) The beginning of the season is poor weather for growing yams, but the second planting of the season grows huge yams, sweet and plump.
(c) The best growing weather ever: yams flourish with the nightly rains and sunny days.
(d) The worst in memory: late rains and scorching sun kill the yams, then torrential downpours wash the seeds away.
2. What is the shameful death Unoka endures?
(a) Starvation due to his many failed crops.
(b) Beheading because of his many unpaid debts.
(c) Drowning in his own vomit after too much palm-wine.
(d) Dying of the abomination of swollen stomach and limbs, never to be buried in the earth.
3. Why do the people say "Mother is Supreme" when the man is the head of the family and his wives and children are obedient to him?
(a) They are referring to the mother of all gods, guiding them to rule the world.
(b) They are referring to Mother Earth and how she is fertile for the yams.
(c) When a man is sorrowful and bitter, he seeks refuge in his motherland because his mother is there to protect him. It is where she is buried.
(d) They believe in the very first mother of all men, giving life to all the men who came after.
4. What does Okonkwo bring back from the bush while Ezinma lays sick in Ekwefi's hut?
(a) Soil from the bush to mix with water and form into mud which can be rubbed on Ezinma's body to bring down the fever.
(b) Bananas to mix with palm oil, forming a paste which Ezinma can eat easily. This will help keep up her strength.
(c) A bundle of medicinal plants, grasses, leaves, roots and barks.
(d) Three small birds to offer as sacrifice to the gods, so Ezinma will get well.
5. Where does the powerful Oracle of the Hills, Agbala, live?
(a) In the treetops with all the climbing creatures of Umuofia.
(b) In a large, handsomely endowed compound in the hills filled with the gifts from those asking for a consultation.
(c) Deep underground with the creatures of the soil, beneath the hills and all things that live above the ground.
(d) Through a round hole in the side of the hill leading to a dimly lit cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uchendu tell Okonkw his duty was?
2. Nine out of ten of Ekwefi's children die in infancy. After the second death, Okonkwo goes to the medicine man to find out why this is happening. What explanation does the diviner give?
3. How does Ekwefi make the medicine she hopes would cure Ezinma?
4. What are the traditional events when night falls and it is time to end Obierika's daughter's uri?
5. Who is the first man Okonkwo works for as a share-cropper ?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)