|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What descends on the land of Okonkwo, darkens the sky, settles on the rooftops, and breaks mighty tree branches under them?
(a) The arrows of neighboring enemies
(b) A flock of vultures
(c) A swarm of locusts
(d) The spirits of the clans ancestors
2. Okonkwo and the men of Umuofia take Ikemefuna deep into the forest and kill him with machetes. Who gives the final thrust of the machete that ends Ikemefuna's life?
(b) Ogbuefi Ezendu
3. Okonkwo is sitting in his obi with Ikemefuna and Nwoye, eating dried locusts when Ogbuefi Ezeudu comes with a message. What is the message?
(a) Umuofia decides to kill Ikemefuna. The Oracle of the Hills pronounces it. Okonkwo is not to take part in the killing because the boy calls him father.
(b) Ikemefuna is to be given all the rights of an adopted son to Okonkwo.
(c) Nwoye and Ikemefuna are to be declared by Umuofia as brothers for life.
(d) Ikemefuna is to remain in Okonkwo's household as a servant for the rest of his life.
4. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
(a) They follow the old ways instead of the new religion.
(b) They are poor farmers.
(c) They do not understand the bond of kinship.
(d) They are unwilling to hunt.
5. After speaking with the elders of nine villages, what does Okonkwo tell Ikemefuna about what is going to happen to him?
(a) That he is being exiled.
(b) That he is free to go.
(c) That he is going home.
(d) That he is being killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tragedy that takes place during the final burial rites for Ezeudu while the cannon is shot and guns fired?
2. What does the oldest member of the clan say is the reason for gathering for Okonkwo's feast?
3. What happens to twins born in Umuofia?
4. Every man learns the language of the ekwe. How does the wooden instrument let the people know exactly who has died?
5. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)