|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to twins born in Umuofia?
(a) They are considered good luck and raised by the priestess of the Oracle of the Hills and the Caves.
(b) They are drowned.
(c) They are revered as sacred above all other infants.
(d) They are placed in earthenware pots and thrown away in the forest.
2. What descends on the land of Okonkwo, darkens the sky, settles on the rooftops, and breaks mighty tree branches under them?
(a) The arrows of neighboring enemies
(b) A flock of vultures
(c) The spirits of the clans ancestors
(d) A swarm of locusts
3. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
(a) The beginning of war
(b) The birth of a child
(c) The death of a man
(d) The beginning of a festival
4. Okonkwo is sitting in his obi with Ikemefuna and Nwoye, eating dried locusts when Ogbuefi Ezeudu comes with a message. What is the message?
(a) Umuofia decides to kill Ikemefuna. The Oracle of the Hills pronounces it. Okonkwo is not to take part in the killing because the boy calls him father.
(b) Ikemefuna is to be given all the rights of an adopted son to Okonkwo.
(c) Ikemefuna is to remain in Okonkwo's household as a servant for the rest of his life.
(d) Nwoye and Ikemefuna are to be declared by Umuofia as brothers for life.
5. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
(a) They are unwilling to hunt.
(b) They are poor farmers.
(c) They do not understand the bond of kinship.
(d) They follow the old ways instead of the new religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Okonkwo and the men of Umuofia take Ikemefuna deep into the forest and kill him with machetes. Who gives the final thrust of the machete that ends Ikemefuna's life?
2. What does the oldest member of the clan say is the reason for gathering for Okonkwo's feast?
3. What hopes does Okonkwo have for his son, Nwoye's , future?
4. What is Okonkwo's punishment for killing Ezeudu's son?
5. After speaking with the elders of nine villages, what does Okonkwo tell Ikemefuna about what is going to happen to him?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)