|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Okonkwo going to thank his mother's people for helping him during his seven years in exile?
(a) He is going to give the elders a bag of cowries.
(b) He is going to distribute all his yam seeds to the people.
(c) He is going to leave behind one of his wives to work for the rulers and elders.
(d) He is going to have a great feast.
2. What is Okonkwo's punishment for killing Ezeudu's son?
(a) All of Okonkwo's sons are to be executed.
(b) Beheading and disgrace.
(c) He and his wives and children have to flee the land.
(d) One of Okonkwo's sons is to be offered as sacrifice.
3. What descends on the land of Okonkwo, darkens the sky, settles on the rooftops, and breaks mighty tree branches under them?
(a) The spirits of the clans ancestors
(b) A swarm of locusts
(c) A flock of vultures
(d) The arrows of neighboring enemies
4. What does Okonkwo send to Obierika as he enters his final year of exile?
(a) Money to build a obi for Okonkwo for when he and his family return
(b) bag of cowries to repay Obierika for the money he gave him through the years
(c) Four hundred yam seeds to sow in Okonkwo's old field, so he and his family will have food when they returned from exile
(d) Money to build two huts on Okonkwo's old compound where he and his family will live until he builds more
5. Okonkwo is sitting in his obi with Ikemefuna and Nwoye, eating dried locusts when Ogbuefi Ezeudu comes with a message. What is the message?
(a) Ikemefuna is to be given all the rights of an adopted son to Okonkwo.
(b) Nwoye and Ikemefuna are to be declared by Umuofia as brothers for life.
(c) Umuofia decides to kill Ikemefuna. The Oracle of the Hills pronounces it. Okonkwo is not to take part in the killing because the boy calls him father.
(d) Ikemefuna is to remain in Okonkwo's household as a servant for the rest of his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tragedy that takes place during the final burial rites for Ezeudu while the cannon is shot and guns fired?
2. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
3. Okonkwo and the men of Umuofia take Ikemefuna deep into the forest and kill him with machetes. Who gives the final thrust of the machete that ends Ikemefuna's life?
4. Why can Ezeudu, the oldest man in his village, only be buried at night?
5. After speaking with the elders of nine villages, what does Okonkwo tell Ikemefuna about what is going to happen to him?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)