|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What descends on the land of Okonkwo, darkens the sky, settles on the rooftops, and breaks mighty tree branches under them?
(a) A swarm of locusts
(b) The arrows of neighboring enemies
(c) A flock of vultures
(d) The spirits of the clans ancestors
2. What does the ekwe, a hollowed out wooden instrument and the blast of the cannon signify to the nine villages of Umuofia?
(a) The beginning of war
(b) The beginning of a festival
(c) The death of a man
(d) The birth of a child
3. What is Okonkwo's punishment for killing Ezeudu's son?
(a) Beheading and disgrace.
(b) All of Okonkwo's sons are to be executed.
(c) One of Okonkwo's sons is to be offered as sacrifice.
(d) He and his wives and children have to flee the land.
4. What hopes does Okonkwo have for his son, Nwoye's , future?
(a) He hopes Nwoye would be a fair, just, and wise father and husband, showing kindness and love to his family.
(b) He wants Nwoye to be a talented musician, performing at all the festivals in the nine villages.
(c) He wants Nwoye to be prosperous, that he will have enough to feed the ancestors with regular sacrifices, and he will be able to rule his women and children.
(d) He wants Nwoye to be a great warrior with many heroic victories to his name.
5. How is Okonkwo going to thank his mother's people for helping him during his seven years in exile?
(a) He is going to leave behind one of his wives to work for the rulers and elders.
(b) He is going to give the elders a bag of cowries.
(c) He is going to distribute all his yam seeds to the people.
(d) He is going to have a great feast.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to twins born in Umuofia?
2. After speaking with the elders of nine villages, what does Okonkwo tell Ikemefuna about what is going to happen to him?
3. Every man learns the language of the ekwe. How does the wooden instrument let the people know exactly who has died?
4. Why do the elders fear for the young people of the village?
5. What is the name of the man that the ekwe announces to Umuofia?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)