* Okonkwo, is a well-known member of the Ibo tribe, noted for beating "Amalinze the Cat" in a wrestling match.
* Okonkwo is a wealthy farmer, and a warrior with three wives
* Okonkwo despises his father, Unoka, who is a failure.
* Unoka never pays his debts, and laughs when his friend, Okoye, asks to be repaid.
* The town crier announces a meeting in the marketplace. Okonkwo wonders what the meeting is about.
* Okonkwo remembers the time he brought home a human head from war and drank palm-wine from it.
* Ten thousand men gather at the marketplace. The orator, Ogbuefi Ezeugo, tells of an Umuofian woman who was murdered in Mbaino.
* The ultimatum they offer Mbaino is a young man and a virgin instead of war.
* Okonkwo is the emissary to Mbaino and returns with the boy and virgin.
* The boy is looked after by Okonkwo.
* Okonkwo inherits nothing...
This section contains 2,453 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)