|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coach Wooden believe is a great motivator?
2. In order for players to give their best, Coach says they must be composed, self-controlled, and have what?
3. Coach Wooden disagreed with coaches who told their players to...?
4. Coach Wooden believes that no coach should be trusted with the responsibility of a team unless he is what?
5. When Kareem joined the team, what was Coach Wooden working towards?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Coach Wooden's advice to his team concerning the outcome of a game?
2. According to Coach Wooden, what type of player was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar?
3. What did Coach Wooden say he never wants his team to do during a game?
4. How did Jabbar deal with the treatment from the public?
5. Why didn't Coach Wooden ask his players to give 110%?
6. Explain the comparison Coach talked about between players and doves.
7. In Chapter 17, Coach Wooden says, "failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be." Explain what he means by this.
8. How did Coach Wooden end up teaching at UCLA?
9. What kind of player was Sidney Wicks?
10. Why didn't Coach Wooden sell his Pyramid of Success for money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden discusses talent, fame, and conceit. He describes how each one of these can be a part of a player's life.
Part 1) Write about talent. Where does it come from? What is the responsibility of someone with their talent?
Part 2) Write about fame. Where does it come from? What types of things do famous people deal with?
Part 3) Write about conceit. What causes conceit? How can it damage a person? How can conceit be controlled or changed?
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden describes the importance of being a role model for young people. He uses this idea many times in his coaching.
Part 1) Write a brief description of what it means to be a role model.
Part 2) Write about times when Coach Wooden was a good role model. Use examples from the book.
Part 3) Write about times when Coach Wooden was not a good role model. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden's father gave him a note for his elementary school graduation with advice about life. Coach Wooden said that he decided to live his life according to the advice in the note and kept it in his wallet his whole life. Choose several of the points in the note and write about how Coach Wooden applied each of the points to his life. Use specific examples from the book to support what you write.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)