|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Coach Wooden show his players how to do every year?
2. In what year did UCLA win their first NCAA championship?
3. Why did Coach Wooden require his players to wear the same practice uniform every time they practiced?
4. Coach says that Sidney Wicks went from being an erratic player to what kind of player?
5. What question would Coach Wooden never answer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the importance of socks and shoes according to Coach Wooden.
2. Explain Coach Wooden's haircut rule.
3. Why did Coach Wooden want to leave UCLA, and why did he decide to stay?
4. What did Coach Wooden say he never wants his team to do during a game?
5. What kind of player was Sidney Wicks?
6. What did Coach Wooden believe was a great motivator and how did he use this to help his team?
7. When did Coach Wooden do most of his talking with his players?
8. Why didn't Coach Wooden ask his players to give 110%?
9. In Chapter 17, Coach Wooden says, "failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be." Explain what he means by this.
10. Why did Coach Wooden take his team to the NAIA tournament his second year of coaching when he did not take them his first year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden develops what he calls "John Wooden's Pyramid of Success." Complete the following.
1) Write about the levels of John Wooden's Pyramid of Success and how they can be applied to someone's life.
2) Write about each level and include one example from Coach's life where he applied the level.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden shares several quotes that he lives his life by. Choose two of the following quotes and write about its meaning, how Coach applied it to his life, and how you can apply it to your life.
"The true athlete should have character, not be a character."
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
"Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
"It isn't what you do, it's how you do it."
"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be."
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden discussed many of his players and interactions he had with them. Choose three of Coach Wooden's players, discuss what you learned from them and give your opinion on how Coach Wooden influenced them.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)