|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Coach Wooden, what did Kareem personify?
2. How long did it take for Coach Wooden's practice changes to take affect?
3. According to Coach Wooden, what is it possible for a player to gain?
4. Regardless of the outcome of a game, it was important to Coach Wooden that his players do what?
5. When did Coach Wooden start searching for his own definition of success?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Coach Wooden's religion influence his coaching?
2. How did Coach Wooden end up teaching at UCLA?
3. Discuss the bad habit Coach Wooden had.
4. List some of the people who influenced Coach Wooden's life, according to Chapter 16.
5. What did Coach Wooden say he never wants his team to do during a game?
6. Why didn't Coach Wooden sell his Pyramid of Success for money?
7. How does Coach Wooden define success?
8. Why did Coach Wooden take his team to the NAIA tournament his second year of coaching when he did not take them his first year?
9. According to Chapter 14, what was important to the Wooden Family?
10. Who was Lewis Alcindor and why was he important to the team?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden's father gave him a note for his elementary school graduation with advice about life. Coach Wooden said that he decided to live his life according to the advice in the note and kept it in his wallet his whole life. Choose several of the points in the note and write about how Coach Wooden applied each of the points to his life. Use specific examples from the book to support what you write.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden had two sides to his coaching. One side is practical, such as instructing the students in how to put on socks, the other side is mental, such as teaching them to not show emotion if they win or lose. Write about both sides of Coach Wooden's coaching using specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden describes one of the most gratifying moment of his career as being when a reporter asks one of his player about racial issues on the team and the players responds by saying, "Coach doesn't see color."
Part 1) Explain what the player meant by this statement.
Part 2) Give specific examples from the book that prove this statement to be true.
Part 3) Write why you think Coach referred to this as one of the most gratifying moments of his career.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)