|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Coach Wooden say about new comer Sidney Wicks the first year he played?
2. From whom did Coach Wooden learn his managerial skills?
3. What were the facilities like at UCLA?
4. How many free throws did a player have to make at practice in order to play in the scrimmages?
5. As Coach Wooden's children grew up and had their own children, what did they make sure they still did?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Coach Wooden's advice to his team concerning the outcome of a game?
2. List some of the people who influenced Coach Wooden's life, according to Chapter 16.
3. How did Coach Wooden's religion influence his coaching?
4. According to Chapter 14, what was important to the Wooden Family?
5. Explain the importance of socks and shoes according to Coach Wooden.
6. Why didn't Coach Wooden sell his Pyramid of Success for money?
7. Explain Coach Wooden's haircut rule.
8. What were Coach Wooden feelings about assistant coaches?
9. Why didn't Coach Wooden ask his players to give 110%?
10. How does Coach Wooden define success?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden's father gave him a note for his elementary school graduation with advice about life. Coach Wooden said that he decided to live his life according to the advice in the note and kept it in his wallet his whole life. Choose several of the points in the note and write about how Coach Wooden applied each of the points to his life. Use specific examples from the book to support what you write.
Essay Topic 2
Several times in They Call Me Coach, Coach Wooden discusses events in his childhood and teenager years, as well as how these events influence his life.
Part 1) Discuss how positive events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
Part 2) Discuss how negative events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
As you write each part, use examples from Coach's childhood and/or teenage years to explain your point.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden discusses the theme of race many times, especially during the years that Kareem Abdul Jabbar played on his team.
Part 1) Write about some of the specific stories Coach shares in the book concerning race.
Part 2) Write about how Coach deals with racial issues from the public about his team.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)