|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Coach Wooden believed that his most successful players were not successful because of skill but because of what?
2. Coach Wooden's pastor used to be his what?
3. How did Coach Wooden always try to end practice?
4. How many titles did the team win while Kareem was a player?
5. In order for players to give their best, Coach says they must be composed, self-controlled, and have what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Coach Wooden's haircut rule.
2. What is something Coach Wooden says he will never do. Why do you think he says this?
3. How did Jabbar's teammates feel about him?
4. Explain John Wooden's Pyramid of Success.
5. Explain the comparison Coach talked about between players and doves.
6. List some of the people who influenced Coach Wooden's life, according to Chapter 16.
7. Discuss the bad habit Coach Wooden had.
8. Who was Lewis Alcindor and why was he important to the team?
9. When did Coach Wooden do most of his talking with his players?
10. Explain the importance of socks and shoes according to Coach Wooden.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times in They Call Me Coach, Coach Wooden discusses events in his childhood and teenager years, as well as how these events influence his life.
Part 1) Discuss how positive events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
Part 2) Discuss how negative events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
As you write each part, use examples from Coach's childhood and/or teenage years to explain your point.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden discussed many people that were good at recruiting for UCLA.
Write about the different people who Coach thought were good at recruiting and why.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden describes one of the most gratifying moment of his career as being when a reporter asks one of his player about racial issues on the team and the players responds by saying, "Coach doesn't see color."
Part 1) Explain what the player meant by this statement.
Part 2) Give specific examples from the book that prove this statement to be true.
Part 3) Write why you think Coach referred to this as one of the most gratifying moments of his career.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)