|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the facilities like at UCLA?
2. Why was Kareem the only player allowed to rest in the training room from time to time during practice?
3. What tournament did Coach Wooden dream of his players being in?
4. In 1966, where did the UCLA team start playing?
5. In Coach Wooden's first year coaching at UCLA, how did the team do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the comparison Coach talked about between players and doves.
2. Discuss the bad habit Coach Wooden had.
3. Explain the importance of socks and shoes according to Coach Wooden.
4. How did Coach Wooden end up teaching at UCLA?
5. Why didn't Coach Wooden ask his players to give 110%?
6. Explain Coach Wooden's haircut rule.
7. How did Coach Wooden's religion influence his coaching?
8. How did Jabbar's teammates feel about him?
9. When did Coach Wooden do most of his talking with his players?
10. Explain John Wooden's Pyramid of Success.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden describes one of the most gratifying moment of his career as being when a reporter asks one of his player about racial issues on the team and the players responds by saying, "Coach doesn't see color."
Part 1) Explain what the player meant by this statement.
Part 2) Give specific examples from the book that prove this statement to be true.
Part 3) Write why you think Coach referred to this as one of the most gratifying moments of his career.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden had two sides to his coaching. One side is practical, such as instructing the students in how to put on socks, the other side is mental, such as teaching them to not show emotion if they win or lose. Write about both sides of Coach Wooden's coaching using specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden discusses the theme of race many times, especially during the years that Kareem Abdul Jabbar played on his team.
Part 1) Write about some of the specific stories Coach shares in the book concerning race.
Part 2) Write about how Coach deals with racial issues from the public about his team.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)