|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Coach Wooden say was one of his most successful players?
2. Why did Coach Wooden try to get out of his contract with UCLA?
3. Why did Coach Wooden like to have a different combination of players playing together during practice?
4. What does Coach Wooden believe is a great motivator?
5. Coach Wooden taught his players that basketball was...?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Coach Wooden's religion influence his coaching?
2. Explain the comparison Coach talked about between players and doves.
3. Discuss the bad habit Coach Wooden had.
4. Why did Coach Wooden want to leave UCLA, and why did he decide to stay?
5. What kind of player was Sidney Wicks?
6. How did Coach Wooden end up teaching at UCLA?
7. Who was Lewis Alcindor and why was he important to the team?
8. What was Coach Wooden's advice to his team concerning the outcome of a game?
9. What did Coach Wooden say he never wants his team to do during a game?
10. How did Jabbar's teammates feel about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden had two sides to his coaching. One side is practical, such as instructing the students in how to put on socks, the other side is mental, such as teaching them to not show emotion if they win or lose. Write about both sides of Coach Wooden's coaching using specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden takes about how the coach/player relationship becomes like a father/son relationship. Compare and contrast the relationship between a coach and a player and a father and son. Give examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden develops what he calls "John Wooden's Pyramid of Success." Complete the following.
1) Write about the levels of John Wooden's Pyramid of Success and how they can be applied to someone's life.
2) Write about each level and include one example from Coach's life where he applied the level.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)