|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of comments did Kareem receive from the press?
2. What does Coach Wooden believe is a great motivator?
3. Why did Coach Wooden decide to go to the NAIA tournament his second year at ISU when he had refused his first year?
4. What great NBA player did Coach Wooden compare Kareem to?
5. How long did it take for Coach Wooden's practice changes to take affect?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain John Wooden's Pyramid of Success.
2. In Chapter 17, Coach Wooden says, "failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be." Explain what he means by this.
3. What did Coach Wooden say he never wants his team to do during a game?
4. How did Coach Wooden's religion influence his coaching?
5. Explain the comparison Coach talked about between players and doves.
6. Why did Coach Wooden take his team to the NAIA tournament his second year of coaching when he did not take them his first year?
7. How does Coach Wooden define success?
8. What kind of player was Sidney Wicks?
9. Explain Coach Wooden's haircut rule.
10. Who was Lewis Alcindor and why was he important to the team?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times in They Call Me Coach, Coach Wooden discusses events in his childhood and teenager years, as well as how these events influence his life.
Part 1) Discuss how positive events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
Part 2) Discuss how negative events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
As you write each part, use examples from Coach's childhood and/or teenage years to explain your point.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden discussed many of his players and interactions he had with them. Choose three of Coach Wooden's players, discuss what you learned from them and give your opinion on how Coach Wooden influenced them.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden's father gave him a note for his elementary school graduation with advice about life. Coach Wooden said that he decided to live his life according to the advice in the note and kept it in his wallet his whole life. Choose several of the points in the note and write about how Coach Wooden applied each of the points to his life. Use specific examples from the book to support what you write.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)