|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Coach Wooden always try to end practice?
2. According to coach, when are 90% of basketball games won?
3. Where did Coach Wooden have the worse record of his career?
4. What did Coach Wooden learn from Notre Dame football coach Frank Leahy?
5. What question would Coach Wooden never answer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is something Coach Wooden says he will never do. Why do you think he says this?
2. What was Coach Wooden's advice to his team concerning the outcome of a game?
3. How did Jabbar deal with the treatment from the public?
4. When did Coach Wooden do most of his talking with his players?
5. What kind of player was Sidney Wicks?
6. How did Coach Wooden end up teaching at UCLA?
7. Why didn't Coach Wooden sell his Pyramid of Success for money?
8. List some of the people who influenced Coach Wooden's life, according to Chapter 16.
9. Why did Coach Wooden take his team to the NAIA tournament his second year of coaching when he did not take them his first year?
10. According to Chapter 14, what was important to the Wooden Family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times in They Call Me Coach, Coach Wooden discusses events in his childhood and teenager years, as well as how these events influence his life.
Part 1) Discuss how positive events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
Part 2) Discuss how negative events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
As you write each part, use examples from Coach's childhood and/or teenage years to explain your point.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden's father gave him a note for his elementary school graduation with advice about life. Coach Wooden said that he decided to live his life according to the advice in the note and kept it in his wallet his whole life. Choose several of the points in the note and write about how Coach Wooden applied each of the points to his life. Use specific examples from the book to support what you write.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden discusses the theme of race many times, especially during the years that Kareem Abdul Jabbar played on his team.
Part 1) Write about some of the specific stories Coach shares in the book concerning race.
Part 2) Write about how Coach deals with racial issues from the public about his team.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)