|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Coach Wooden show his players how to do every year?
2. According to Coach Wooden, what did Kareem have in addition to great basketball skills?
3. What did Coach Wooden abandon when he realized it does not influence the players?
4. What does Coach Wooden believe is a great motivator?
5. What kind of comments did Kareem receive from the press?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Coach Wooden's religion influence his coaching?
2. In Chapter 17, Coach Wooden says, "failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be." Explain what he means by this.
3. How does Coach Wooden define success?
4. How did Coach Wooden end up teaching at UCLA?
5. What did Coach Wooden believe was a great motivator and how did he use this to help his team?
6. What did Coach Wooden say he never wants his team to do during a game?
7. What were Coach Wooden feelings about assistant coaches?
8. What kind of player was Sidney Wicks?
9. When did Coach Wooden do most of his talking with his players?
10. Explain the importance of socks and shoes according to Coach Wooden.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden describes one of the most gratifying moment of his career as being when a reporter asks one of his player about racial issues on the team and the players responds by saying, "Coach doesn't see color."
Part 1) Explain what the player meant by this statement.
Part 2) Give specific examples from the book that prove this statement to be true.
Part 3) Write why you think Coach referred to this as one of the most gratifying moments of his career.
Essay Topic 2
Several times in They Call Me Coach, Coach Wooden discusses events in his childhood and teenager years, as well as how these events influence his life.
Part 1) Discuss how positive events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
Part 2) Discuss how negative events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
As you write each part, use examples from Coach's childhood and/or teenage years to explain your point.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden discusses the theme of race many times, especially during the years that Kareem Abdul Jabbar played on his team.
Part 1) Write about some of the specific stories Coach shares in the book concerning race.
Part 2) Write about how Coach deals with racial issues from the public about his team.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)