|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a game, what did Coach Wooden never want his team to do first?
2. What is Coach Wooden's basic idea of success?
3. According to Coach Wooden, what did Kareem have in addition to great basketball skills?
4. What gave Kareem vertical double vision during one game?
5. In 1966, where did the UCLA team start playing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Coach Wooden's haircut rule.
2. When did Coach Wooden do most of his talking with his players?
3. How did Jabbar deal with the treatment from the public?
4. Discuss the bad habit Coach Wooden had.
5. What is something Coach Wooden says he will never do. Why do you think he says this?
6. List some of the people who influenced Coach Wooden's life, according to Chapter 16.
7. Why did Coach Wooden take his team to the NAIA tournament his second year of coaching when he did not take them his first year?
8. What did Coach Wooden believe was a great motivator and how did he use this to help his team?
9. How does Coach Wooden define success?
10. Explain John Wooden's Pyramid of Success.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden left his coaching temporarily to enlist in WWII.
Part 1) Describe what event caused Coach Wooden to voluntarily enlist in the military.
Part 2) Based on what you know about Coach Wooden, write about what kind of solider you think he would have been. Use specific examples from the book that describe his personality and character traits.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden discussed many of his players and interactions he had with them. Choose three of Coach Wooden's players, discuss what you learned from them and give your opinion on how Coach Wooden influenced them.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden's father gave him a note for his elementary school graduation with advice about life. Coach Wooden said that he decided to live his life according to the advice in the note and kept it in his wallet his whole life. Choose several of the points in the note and write about how Coach Wooden applied each of the points to his life. Use specific examples from the book to support what you write.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)