|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Coach Wooden sell his ideas of success like many people urged him to do?
2. What question would Coach Wooden never answer?
3. Why did Coach Wooden try to get out of his contract with UCLA?
4. Coach Wooden disagreed with coaches who told their players to...?
5. Coach says that Sidney Wicks went from being an erratic player to what kind of player?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain John Wooden's Pyramid of Success.
2. Explain the importance of socks and shoes according to Coach Wooden.
3. How did Coach Wooden end up teaching at UCLA?
4. What did Coach Wooden say he never wants his team to do during a game?
5. List some of the people who influenced Coach Wooden's life, according to Chapter 16.
6. What kind of player was Sidney Wicks?
7. What were Coach Wooden feelings about assistant coaches?
8. Who was Lewis Alcindor and why was he important to the team?
9. Why didn't Coach Wooden ask his players to give 110%?
10. What was Coach Wooden's advice to his team concerning the outcome of a game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden had specific rules for both practices and games.
Part 1) Discuss how Coach Wooden ran practices including specific rules.
Part 2) Discuss how Coach ran games including specific rules.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden received many honors towards the end of his career.
Part 1) Describe the honors that Coach Wooden receives and give your opinion as to whether or not he deserved those honors.
Part 2) Write about what it means to be "basketball coach emeritus at UCLA."
Essay Topic 3
Several times in They Call Me Coach, Coach Wooden discusses events in his childhood and teenager years, as well as how these events influence his life.
Part 1) Discuss how positive events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
Part 2) Discuss how negative events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
As you write each part, use examples from Coach's childhood and/or teenage years to explain your point.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)