|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did players often come to Coach Wooden wearing that were too big?
2. What did Coach Wooden discover made his team tired at tournament time?
3. Why did Coach Wooden decide to go to the NAIA tournament his second year at ISU when he had refused his first year?
4. Why did Coach Wooden try to get out of his contract with UCLA?
5. From whom did Coach Wooden learn his managerial skills?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of player was Sidney Wicks?
2. How does Coach Wooden define success?
3. How did Coach Wooden's religion influence his coaching?
4. Why did Coach Wooden take his team to the NAIA tournament his second year of coaching when he did not take them his first year?
5. According to Coach Wooden, what type of player was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar?
6. What were Coach Wooden feelings about assistant coaches?
7. Who was Lewis Alcindor and why was he important to the team?
8. Why did Coach Wooden want to leave UCLA, and why did he decide to stay?
9. What did Coach Wooden believe was a great motivator and how did he use this to help his team?
10. How did Jabbar deal with the treatment from the public?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden discussed many people that were good at recruiting for UCLA.
Write about the different people who Coach thought were good at recruiting and why.
Essay Topic 2
Several times in They Call Me Coach, Coach Wooden discusses events in his childhood and teenager years, as well as how these events influence his life.
Part 1) Discuss how positive events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
Part 2) Discuss how negative events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
As you write each part, use examples from Coach's childhood and/or teenage years to explain your point.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden discusses talent, fame, and conceit. He describes how each one of these can be a part of a player's life.
Part 1) Write about talent. Where does it come from? What is the responsibility of someone with their talent?
Part 2) Write about fame. Where does it come from? What types of things do famous people deal with?
Part 3) Write about conceit. What causes conceit? How can it damage a person? How can conceit be controlled or changed?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)