|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order for players to give their best, Coach says they must be composed, self-controlled, and have what?
2. In 1966, where did the UCLA team start playing?
3. Regardless of the outcome of a game, it was important to Coach Wooden that his players do what?
4. Coach Wooden disagreed with coaches who told their players to...?
5. What was Coach Wooden most surprised about when he began coaching at UCLA?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Coach Wooden do most of his talking with his players?
2. What were Coach Wooden feelings about assistant coaches?
3. What did Coach Wooden believe was a great motivator and how did he use this to help his team?
4. How did Coach Wooden end up teaching at UCLA?
5. How did Coach Wooden's religion influence his coaching?
6. What did Coach Wooden say he never wants his team to do during a game?
7. How did Jabbar deal with the treatment from the public?
8. List some of the people who influenced Coach Wooden's life, according to Chapter 16.
9. Who was Lewis Alcindor and why was he important to the team?
10. Explain the comparison Coach talked about between players and doves.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden shares several quotes that he lives his life by. Choose two of the following quotes and write about its meaning, how Coach applied it to his life, and how you can apply it to your life.
"The true athlete should have character, not be a character."
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
"Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
"It isn't what you do, it's how you do it."
"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be."
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden says that a player that gives his all have self-control, composure, and endurance. Write as if you were coaching a team. Describe what type of team it would be and how you would apply each of these three attributes in your coaching.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden received many honors towards the end of his career.
Part 1) Describe the honors that Coach Wooden receives and give your opinion as to whether or not he deserved those honors.
Part 2) Write about what it means to be "basketball coach emeritus at UCLA."
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)