|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When some players showed up clearly breaking the haircut rule, what did Coach Wooden do?
2. Why didn't Coach Wooden sell his ideas of success like many people urged him to do?
3. What place did Coach Wooden's team end up in the tournament in his second year as ISU?
4. Why were Kareem's teammates jealous of him?
5. What did players often come to Coach Wooden wearing that were too big?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Coach Wooden take his team to the NAIA tournament his second year of coaching when he did not take them his first year?
2. When did Coach Wooden do most of his talking with his players?
3. Discuss the bad habit Coach Wooden had.
4. How does Coach Wooden define success?
5. What kind of player was Sidney Wicks?
6. What was Coach Wooden's advice to his team concerning the outcome of a game?
7. Why didn't Coach Wooden ask his players to give 110%?
8. List some of the people who influenced Coach Wooden's life, according to Chapter 16.
9. What is something Coach Wooden says he will never do. Why do you think he says this?
10. How did Coach Wooden end up teaching at UCLA?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden shares several quotes that he lives his life by. Choose two of the following quotes and write about its meaning, how Coach applied it to his life, and how you can apply it to your life.
"The true athlete should have character, not be a character."
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
"Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
"It isn't what you do, it's how you do it."
"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be."
Essay Topic 2
When people have to make a decision, a good way to think it through is by making a "pros and cons" list. Coach Wooden had an important decision to make between playing professional basketball or staying a coach. He decided to stay a coach because he loves to teach.
Write as if you were Coach Wooden making this decision. Writing about the pros and cons of choosing professional basketball and the pros and cons of staying a coach. As a conclusion write why you think Coach made the right or wrong decision based on the pros and cons lists.
Essay Topic 3
In the book, the theme of unity on a team is repeated several times.
Part 1) Write about how Coach Wooden would build unity on his teams. Use specific examples from the book.
Part 2) Write about the benefits of learning unity and what other areas of life the lesson of unity can be applied to.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)