|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1966, where did the UCLA team start playing?
2. In Coach Wooden's first year coaching at UCLA, how did the team do?
3. Why did Kareem get extra juice at breakfast when the other players did not?
4. What major change did Coach Wooden make in his practices that improved the team's NCAA finals.?
5. Coach Wooden disagreed with coaches who told their players to...?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Coach Wooden define success?
2. According to Chapter 14, what was important to the Wooden Family?
3. Why didn't Coach Wooden sell his Pyramid of Success for money?
4. Why did Coach Wooden want to leave UCLA, and why did he decide to stay?
5. Explain John Wooden's Pyramid of Success.
6. What did Coach Wooden believe was a great motivator and how did he use this to help his team?
7. Discuss the bad habit Coach Wooden had.
8. Why did Coach Wooden take his team to the NAIA tournament his second year of coaching when he did not take them his first year?
9. What kind of player was Sidney Wicks?
10. What was Coach Wooden's advice to his team concerning the outcome of a game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times in They Call Me Coach, Coach Wooden discusses events in his childhood and teenager years, as well as how these events influence his life.
Part 1) Discuss how positive events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
Part 2) Discuss how negative events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
As you write each part, use examples from Coach's childhood and/or teenage years to explain your point.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden says that his wife Nellie is one of his biggest inspirations. Use specific examples from the book to write about what why Coach and Nellie have a strong marriage. Describe specific instances when Nellie offered Coach inspiration.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden develops what he calls "John Wooden's Pyramid of Success." Complete the following.
1) Write about the levels of John Wooden's Pyramid of Success and how they can be applied to someone's life.
2) Write about each level and include one example from Coach's life where he applied the level.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)