|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Kareem and several other superstars graduated, what did Coach Wooden want his team to become?
2. Why did Coach Wooden like to have a different combination of players playing together during practice?
3. According to Coach Wooden, what is it possible for a player to gain?
4. In 1966, where did the UCLA team start playing?
5. Why were Kareem's teammates jealous of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Lewis Alcindor and why was he important to the team?
2. How did Coach Wooden end up teaching at UCLA?
3. What is something Coach Wooden says he will never do. Why do you think he says this?
4. How did Jabbar's teammates feel about him?
5. How did Coach Wooden's religion influence his coaching?
6. What did Coach Wooden believe was a great motivator and how did he use this to help his team?
7. Why did Coach Wooden take his team to the NAIA tournament his second year of coaching when he did not take them his first year?
8. Why did Coach Wooden want to leave UCLA, and why did he decide to stay?
9. How did Jabbar deal with the treatment from the public?
10. What was Coach Wooden's advice to his team concerning the outcome of a game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden describes one of the most gratifying moment of his career as being when a reporter asks one of his player about racial issues on the team and the players responds by saying, "Coach doesn't see color."
Part 1) Explain what the player meant by this statement.
Part 2) Give specific examples from the book that prove this statement to be true.
Part 3) Write why you think Coach referred to this as one of the most gratifying moments of his career.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden discusses talent, fame, and conceit. He describes how each one of these can be a part of a player's life.
Part 1) Write about talent. Where does it come from? What is the responsibility of someone with their talent?
Part 2) Write about fame. Where does it come from? What types of things do famous people deal with?
Part 3) Write about conceit. What causes conceit? How can it damage a person? How can conceit be controlled or changed?
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden discussed many of his players and interactions he had with them. Choose three of Coach Wooden's players, discuss what you learned from them and give your opinion on how Coach Wooden influenced them.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)