|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Coach Wooden believes that no coach should be trusted with the responsibility of a team unless he is what?
2. According to Coach Wooden, what is it possible for a player to gain?
3. Where did Coach Wooden have the worse record of his career?
4. Why did Coach Wooden choose UCLA as the second college to coach at?
5. When did most of Coach Wooden's conversations with his players take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden left his coaching temporarily to enlist in WWII.
Part 1) Describe what event caused Coach Wooden to voluntarily enlist in the military.
Part 2) Based on what you know about Coach Wooden, write about what kind of solider you think he would have been. Use specific examples from the book that describe his personality and character traits.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden says that his wife Nellie is one of his biggest inspirations. Use specific examples from the book to write about what why Coach and Nellie have a strong marriage. Describe specific instances when Nellie offered Coach inspiration.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden discusses the theme of race many times, especially during the years that Kareem Abdul Jabbar played on his team.
Part 1) Write about some of the specific stories Coach shares in the book concerning race.
Part 2) Write about how Coach deals with racial issues from the public about his team.
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)