|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kareem joined the team, what was Coach Wooden working towards?
2. In order for players to give their best, Coach says they must be composed, self-controlled, and have what?
3. How long did it take for Coach Wooden's practice changes to take affect?
4. What did Coach Wooden do six or seven times over his career at UCLA?
5. If Coach Wooden's players lost, what were they not allowed to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain John Wooden's Pyramid of Success.
2. According to Chapter 14, what was important to the Wooden Family?
3. How did Coach Wooden end up teaching at UCLA?
4. What kind of player was Sidney Wicks?
5. How does Coach Wooden define success?
6. What were Coach Wooden feelings about assistant coaches?
7. What did Coach Wooden say he never wants his team to do during a game?
8. Explain the importance of socks and shoes according to Coach Wooden.
9. List some of the people who influenced Coach Wooden's life, according to Chapter 16.
10. According to Coach Wooden, what type of player was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden describes one of the most gratifying moment of his career as being when a reporter asks one of his player about racial issues on the team and the players responds by saying, "Coach doesn't see color."
Part 1) Explain what the player meant by this statement.
Part 2) Give specific examples from the book that prove this statement to be true.
Part 3) Write why you think Coach referred to this as one of the most gratifying moments of his career.
Essay Topic 2
There are several occasions in the book where Coach Wooden discusses removing players from a game or practice for different reasons.
Part 1) Compare the different occasions and reasons. How are they similar? How are they different?
Part 2) Do you think Coach was right or wrong in each of these occasions. Why?
Part 3) Do Coach's decisions make the players better players? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden had specific rules for both practices and games.
Part 1) Discuss how Coach Wooden ran practices including specific rules.
Part 2) Discuss how Coach ran games including specific rules.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)