|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Coach Wooden say about new comer Sidney Wicks the first year he played?
2. Coach Wooden believed that his most successful players were not successful because of skill but because of what?
3. According to Coach Wooden, what did Kareem have in addition to great basketball skills?
4. What was Coach Wooden's job at First Christian Church in Santa Monica?
5. In order for players to give their best, Coach says they must be composed, self-controlled, and have what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden discussed many people that were good at recruiting for UCLA.
Write about the different people who Coach thought were good at recruiting and why.
Essay Topic 2
There are several occasions in the book where Coach Wooden discusses removing players from a game or practice for different reasons.
Part 1) Compare the different occasions and reasons. How are they similar? How are they different?
Part 2) Do you think Coach was right or wrong in each of these occasions. Why?
Part 3) Do Coach's decisions make the players better players? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden discusses the theme of race many times, especially during the years that Kareem Abdul Jabbar played on his team.
Part 1) Write about some of the specific stories Coach shares in the book concerning race.
Part 2) Write about how Coach deals with racial issues from the public about his team.
This section contains 1,379 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)