|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Coach Wooden believed that his most successful players were not successful because of skill but because of what?
2. What was Coach Wooden most surprised about when he began coaching at UCLA?
3. Why was Kareem the only player allowed to rest in the training room from time to time during practice?
4. What did Coach Wooden do six or seven times over his career at UCLA?
5. How many titles did the team win while Kareem was a player?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the importance of socks and shoes according to Coach Wooden.
2. Why didn't Coach Wooden sell his Pyramid of Success for money?
3. What kind of player was Sidney Wicks?
4. What did Coach Wooden believe was a great motivator and how did he use this to help his team?
5. What did Coach Wooden say he never wants his team to do during a game?
6. According to Chapter 14, what was important to the Wooden Family?
7. How did Jabbar's teammates feel about him?
8. Explain John Wooden's Pyramid of Success.
9. Explain Coach Wooden's haircut rule.
10. Why didn't Coach Wooden ask his players to give 110%?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden discusses talent, fame, and conceit. He describes how each one of these can be a part of a player's life.
Part 1) Write about talent. Where does it come from? What is the responsibility of someone with their talent?
Part 2) Write about fame. Where does it come from? What types of things do famous people deal with?
Part 3) Write about conceit. What causes conceit? How can it damage a person? How can conceit be controlled or changed?
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden had specific rules for both practices and games.
Part 1) Discuss how Coach Wooden ran practices including specific rules.
Part 2) Discuss how Coach ran games including specific rules.
Essay Topic 3
There are several occasions in the book where Coach Wooden discusses removing players from a game or practice for different reasons.
Part 1) Compare the different occasions and reasons. How are they similar? How are they different?
Part 2) Do you think Coach was right or wrong in each of these occasions. Why?
Part 3) Do Coach's decisions make the players better players? Why or why not?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)