|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Coach says that Sidney Wicks went from being an erratic player to what kind of player?
2. What major change did Coach Wooden make in his practices that improved the team's NCAA finals.?
3. How many free throws did a player have to make at practice in order to play in the scrimmages?
4. According to Coach Wooden, what is it possible for a player to gain?
5. What college besides UCLA did Coach Wooden consider after coaching at ISU?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jabbar's teammates feel about him?
2. How did Coach Wooden's religion influence his coaching?
3. When did Coach Wooden do most of his talking with his players?
4. How did Jabbar deal with the treatment from the public?
5. What were Coach Wooden feelings about assistant coaches?
6. Explain Coach Wooden's haircut rule.
7. Explain the importance of socks and shoes according to Coach Wooden.
8. Explain the comparison Coach talked about between players and doves.
9. What is something Coach Wooden says he will never do. Why do you think he says this?
10. Discuss the bad habit Coach Wooden had.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden shares several quotes that he lives his life by. Choose two of the following quotes and write about its meaning, how Coach applied it to his life, and how you can apply it to your life.
"The true athlete should have character, not be a character."
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
"Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
"It isn't what you do, it's how you do it."
"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be."
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden discussed many people that were good at recruiting for UCLA.
Write about the different people who Coach thought were good at recruiting and why.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden had two sides to his coaching. One side is practical, such as instructing the students in how to put on socks, the other side is mental, such as teaching them to not show emotion if they win or lose. Write about both sides of Coach Wooden's coaching using specific examples from the book.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)