|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who eventually became principal and superintendent of Martinsville Schools?
2. Which player replaced the player who was removed by Coach Wooden from the championship game?
3. What did Coach Wooden's brother do to him as a child that make him very angry?
4. Who first noticed Wooden's "good luck charm"?
5. Where was freshman player Kenny Washington from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Coach Wooden feelings about assistant coaches?
2. In Chapter 2, where did Coach meet Nellie and why did he like her?
3. What kind of player was Sidney Wicks?
4. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
5. Describe Wooden's relationship with his high-school coach Glenn Curtis.
6. Describe the incident in Chapter 2 between Coach Wooden and his brother and the impact it had on Coach.
7. Describe what Coach Wooden calls "one of the most gratifying moments of his career."
8. What caused Coach Wooden to take his first college teaching position?
9. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's wedding.
10. How did Jabbar's teammates feel about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden develops what he calls "John Wooden's Pyramid of Success." Complete the following.
1) Write about the levels of John Wooden's Pyramid of Success and how they can be applied to someone's life.
2) Write about each level and include one example from Coach's life where he applied the level.
Essay Topic 2
When people have to make a decision, a good way to think it through is by making a "pros and cons" list. Coach Wooden had an important decision to make between playing professional basketball or staying a coach. He decided to stay a coach because he loves to teach.
Write as if you were Coach Wooden making this decision. Writing about the pros and cons of choosing professional basketball and the pros and cons of staying a coach. As a conclusion write why you think Coach made the right or wrong decision based on the pros and cons lists.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden discusses the theme of race many times, especially during the years that Kareem Abdul Jabbar played on his team.
Part 1) Write about some of the specific stories Coach shares in the book concerning race.
Part 2) Write about how Coach deals with racial issues from the public about his team.
This section contains 1,797 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)