|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which player replaced the player who was removed by Coach Wooden from the championship game?
2. Many of the players on Wooden's first college team has also been what?
3. How did Wooden save up money so he and Nellie could get married?
4. Veterans who wanted to go to college after the war could go at the military's expense. This was called the what?
5. What signal did Coach Wooden give to Nellie before each high-school game?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, how did Coach Wooden react when he saw Kenny Washington crying in the locker room due to homesickness? Do you think his reaction was right?
2. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's relationship throughout their high-school years.
3. Once enlisted in the military, what stopped Coach Wooden from serving overseas?
4. Explain the offer Coach Wooden received between his junior and senior year at Purdue, including the outcome.
5. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden removes Walt Hazzard from several games for showing off. Why is showing off a negative thing?
6. Why didn't Coach Wooden seek a career as a professional basketball player?
7. Explain what happened between Coach Wooden and one of his South Bend students named Eddie.
8. What is the meaning of this quote by Coach Wooden, "the true athlete should have character, not be a character"?
9. Explain how Coach Wooden earned money while in college.
10. How did Coach Wooden feel about money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden shares several quotes that he lives his life by. Choose two of the following quotes and write about its meaning, how Coach applied it to his life, and how you can apply it to your life.
"The true athlete should have character, not be a character."
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
"Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
"It isn't what you do, it's how you do it."
"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be."
Essay Topic 2
When people have to make a decision, a good way to think it through is by making a "pros and cons" list. Coach Wooden had an important decision to make between playing professional basketball or staying a coach. He decided to stay a coach because he loves to teach.
Write as if you were Coach Wooden making this decision. Writing about the pros and cons of choosing professional basketball and the pros and cons of staying a coach. As a conclusion write why you think Coach made the right or wrong decision based on the pros and cons lists.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden discussed many people that were good at recruiting for UCLA.
Write about the different people who Coach thought were good at recruiting and why.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)