|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Wooden served in the military in Georgia, what was his duty?
2. How did Wooden lose all the money he had saved?
3. When Coach Wooden was a child, what was his first basketball hoop made out of?
4. In what year did Coach Wooden's UCLA team win the NCAA championship game?
5. Many of the players on Wooden's first college team has also been what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, did Coach Wooden made the right decision by pulling Fred Slaughter from the championship game?
2. Once enlisted in the military, what stopped Coach Wooden from serving overseas?
3. Describe Keith Erickson.
4. How did Coach Wooden feel about money?
5. Why didn't Coach Wooden seek a career as a professional basketball player?
6. What is the meaning of this quote by Coach Wooden, "the true athlete should have character, not be a character"?
7. In Chapter 2, where did Coach meet Nellie and why did he like her?
8. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
9. What caused Coach Wooden to take his first college teaching position?
10. Explain what happened between Coach Wooden and one of his South Bend students named Eddie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden had specific rules for both practices and games.
Part 1) Discuss how Coach Wooden ran practices including specific rules.
Part 2) Discuss how Coach ran games including specific rules.
Essay Topic 2
In the book, the theme of unity on a team is repeated several times.
Part 1) Write about how Coach Wooden would build unity on his teams. Use specific examples from the book.
Part 2) Write about the benefits of learning unity and what other areas of life the lesson of unity can be applied to.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden's father gave him a note for his elementary school graduation with advice about life. Coach Wooden said that he decided to live his life according to the advice in the note and kept it in his wallet his whole life. Choose several of the points in the note and write about how Coach Wooden applied each of the points to his life. Use specific examples from the book to support what you write.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)