|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Nellie and Coach Wooden break up several times during high school?
2. Who encouraged Coach Wooden to wait until after college to marry Nellie?
3. When Wooden served in the military in Georgia, what was his duty?
4. How did Wooden save up money so he and Nellie could get married?
5. What promise did Coach Wooden make to Eddie, a young member of his South Bend team?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's relationship throughout their high-school years.
2. In Chapter 8, Coach Wooden says that coaches can sometimes be subconsciously influenced by their players. What does he mean by this?
3. Explain Coach Lambert's coaching philosophy.
4. Explain the offer Coach Wooden received between his junior and senior year at Purdue, including the outcome.
5. Discuss some of the advice Coach Wooden's father gave him in his elementary graduation letter.
6. Describe Keith Erickson.
7. In Chapter 1, how did Coach Wooden react when he saw Kenny Washington crying in the locker room due to homesickness? Do you think his reaction was right?
8. Explain what happened between Coach Wooden and one of his South Bend students named Eddie.
9. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
10. Describe Wooden's relationship with his high-school coach Glenn Curtis.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden left his coaching temporarily to enlist in WWII.
Part 1) Describe what event caused Coach Wooden to voluntarily enlist in the military.
Part 2) Based on what you know about Coach Wooden, write about what kind of solider you think he would have been. Use specific examples from the book that describe his personality and character traits.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden describes one of the most gratifying moment of his career as being when a reporter asks one of his player about racial issues on the team and the players responds by saying, "Coach doesn't see color."
Part 1) Explain what the player meant by this statement.
Part 2) Give specific examples from the book that prove this statement to be true.
Part 3) Write why you think Coach referred to this as one of the most gratifying moments of his career.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden takes about how the coach/player relationship becomes like a father/son relationship. Compare and contrast the relationship between a coach and a player and a father and son. Give examples from the book.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)