|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the war, what was difficult for Coach Wooden's family to find in South Bend?
2. What took Wooden away from his home in 1943?
3. What made team forward Keith Erickson very upset during games?
4. What coaching concept applied by Coach Curtis did Coach Wooden disagree with?
5. What promise did Coach Wooden make to Eddie, a young member of his South Bend team?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Coach Wooden and Nellie have enough money for the wedding they had planned?
2. In Chapter 1, how did Coach Wooden react when he saw Kenny Washington crying in the locker room due to homesickness? Do you think his reaction was right?
3. What is the meaning of this quote by Coach Wooden, "the true athlete should have character, not be a character"?
4. Describe Wooden's relationship with his high-school coach Glenn Curtis.
5. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden removes Walt Hazzard from several games for showing off. Why is showing off a negative thing?
6. What basketball rule caused Nellie and Coach Wooden to break up several times? Was this a good rule?
7. What caused Coach Wooden to enlist in the military?
8. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden says that Jack Hirsch was a bully, but he later realized Jack was lacking in confidence. Why do people who lack confidence sometimes bully?
9. Once enlisted in the military, what stopped Coach Wooden from serving overseas?
10. Explain Coach Wooden's duties and pay when he got his first high-school coaching job in Dayton.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden says that his wife Nellie is one of his biggest inspirations. Use specific examples from the book to write about what why Coach and Nellie have a strong marriage. Describe specific instances when Nellie offered Coach inspiration.
Essay Topic 2
In the book, the theme of unity on a team is repeated several times.
Part 1) Write about how Coach Wooden would build unity on his teams. Use specific examples from the book.
Part 2) Write about the benefits of learning unity and what other areas of life the lesson of unity can be applied to.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden takes about how the coach/player relationship becomes like a father/son relationship. Compare and contrast the relationship between a coach and a player and a father and son. Give examples from the book.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)