|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Wooden do after the war?
2. What promise did Coach Wooden make to Eddie, a young member of his South Bend team?
3. Before his senior year, who was Wooden recruited by?
4. Who loaned Wooden some money for his wedding?
5. Why did Coach Wooden's family move to Martinsville?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, did Coach Wooden made the right decision by pulling Fred Slaughter from the championship game?
2. Explain what happened between Coach Wooden and one of his South Bend students named Eddie.
3. What caused Coach Wooden to take his first college teaching position?
4. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's wedding.
5. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
6. Explain how Coach Wooden earned money while in college.
7. Once enlisted in the military, what stopped Coach Wooden from serving overseas?
8. Describe the incident in Chapter 2 between Coach Wooden and his brother and the impact it had on Coach.
9. Describe how Coach Wooden learned to play basketball as a child.
10. How did Coach Wooden come to have a "good luck charm"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times in They Call Me Coach, Coach Wooden discusses events in his childhood and teenager years, as well as how these events influence his life.
Part 1) Discuss how positive events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
Part 2) Discuss how negative events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
As you write each part, use examples from Coach's childhood and/or teenage years to explain your point.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden takes about how the coach/player relationship becomes like a father/son relationship. Compare and contrast the relationship between a coach and a player and a father and son. Give examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden says that a player that gives his all have self-control, composure, and endurance. Write as if you were coaching a team. Describe what type of team it would be and how you would apply each of these three attributes in your coaching.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)