|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Wooden lose all the money he had saved?
2. Most of Coach Wooden's college players were what?
3. Where did Wooden go the morning after his wedding?
4. After Wooden and Nellie got married, how much money a week did Wooden make working with Coach Curtis?
5. Where was Coach Wooden's first college coaching job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Coach Wooden to take his first college teaching position?
2. Explain the offer Coach Wooden received between his junior and senior year at Purdue, including the outcome.
3. What basketball rule caused Nellie and Coach Wooden to break up several times? Was this a good rule?
4. In Chapter 1, did Coach Wooden made the right decision by pulling Fred Slaughter from the championship game?
5. Describe Keith Erickson.
6. How did Coach Wooden come to have a "good luck charm"?
7. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden says that Jack Hirsch was a bully, but he later realized Jack was lacking in confidence. Why do people who lack confidence sometimes bully?
8. Describe Wooden's relationship with his high-school coach Glenn Curtis.
9. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
10. Explain Coach Wooden's duties and pay when he got his first high-school coaching job in Dayton.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden left his coaching temporarily to enlist in WWII.
Part 1) Describe what event caused Coach Wooden to voluntarily enlist in the military.
Part 2) Based on what you know about Coach Wooden, write about what kind of solider you think he would have been. Use specific examples from the book that describe his personality and character traits.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden describes the importance of being a role model for young people. He uses this idea many times in his coaching.
Part 1) Write a brief description of what it means to be a role model.
Part 2) Write about times when Coach Wooden was a good role model. Use examples from the book.
Part 3) Write about times when Coach Wooden was not a good role model. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden discusses the theme of race many times, especially during the years that Kareem Abdul Jabbar played on his team.
Part 1) Write about some of the specific stories Coach shares in the book concerning race.
Part 2) Write about how Coach deals with racial issues from the public about his team.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)