|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Wooden supplement his income?
2. What does Coach Wooden say a coach often feels about his players?
3. Which player did Coach Wooden discover was lacking in confidence?
4. Who loaned Wooden some money for his wedding?
5. Many of the players on Wooden's first college team has also been what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden says that Jack Hirsch was a bully, but he later realized Jack was lacking in confidence. Why do people who lack confidence sometimes bully?
2. What is the meaning of this quote by Coach Wooden, "the true athlete should have character, not be a character"?
3. Explain how Coach Wooden earned money while in college.
4. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's relationship throughout their high-school years.
5. Why didn't Coach Wooden and Nellie have enough money for the wedding they had planned?
6. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden removes Walt Hazzard from several games for showing off. Why is showing off a negative thing?
7. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
8. Explain what happened between Coach Wooden and one of his South Bend students named Eddie.
9. Explain Coach Wooden's duties and pay when he got his first high-school coaching job in Dayton.
10. What basketball rule caused Nellie and Coach Wooden to break up several times? Was this a good rule?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden received many honors towards the end of his career.
Part 1) Describe the honors that Coach Wooden receives and give your opinion as to whether or not he deserved those honors.
Part 2) Write about what it means to be "basketball coach emeritus at UCLA."
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden left his coaching temporarily to enlist in WWII.
Part 1) Describe what event caused Coach Wooden to voluntarily enlist in the military.
Part 2) Based on what you know about Coach Wooden, write about what kind of solider you think he would have been. Use specific examples from the book that describe his personality and character traits.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden says that his wife Nellie is one of his biggest inspirations. Use specific examples from the book to write about what why Coach and Nellie have a strong marriage. Describe specific instances when Nellie offered Coach inspiration.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)