|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Coach Wooden tell Kenny Washington when he catches Kenny crying because he is homesick?
2. How did Wooden lose all the money he had saved?
3. What caused Wooden to return to his high-school basketball team after he walked off the team?
4. What made team forward Keith Erickson very upset during games?
5. According to Coach Wooden, Coach Lambert coached based on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once enlisted in the military, what stopped Coach Wooden from serving overseas?
2. In Chapter 1, did Coach Wooden made the right decision by pulling Fred Slaughter from the championship game?
3. Explain Coach Lambert's coaching philosophy.
4. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden removes Walt Hazzard from several games for showing off. Why is showing off a negative thing?
5. In Chapter 1, how did Coach Wooden react when he saw Kenny Washington crying in the locker room due to homesickness? Do you think his reaction was right?
6. How did Coach Wooden feel about money?
7. Describe Wooden's relationship with his high-school coach Glenn Curtis.
8. Did Fred Slaughter respect Coach Wooden?
9. Describe how Coach Wooden learned to play basketball as a child.
10. Describe the incident in Chapter 2 between Coach Wooden and his brother and the impact it had on Coach.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times in They Call Me Coach, Coach Wooden discusses events in his childhood and teenager years, as well as how these events influence his life.
Part 1) Discuss how positive events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
Part 2) Discuss how negative events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
As you write each part, use examples from Coach's childhood and/or teenage years to explain your point.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden says that his wife Nellie is one of his biggest inspirations. Use specific examples from the book to write about what why Coach and Nellie have a strong marriage. Describe specific instances when Nellie offered Coach inspiration.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden discussed many of his players and interactions he had with them. Choose three of Coach Wooden's players, discuss what you learned from them and give your opinion on how Coach Wooden influenced them.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)