|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Coach Wooden get upset with his high-school basketball coach, Glenn Curtis?
2. Who does Coach Wooden refer to as a "team leader"?
3. Why did Coach Wooden's family move to Martinsville?
4. In what year of Coach Wooden's college coaching experience, did his team win their conference title?
5. Why did Wooden stay a coach when he could have earned much more money as a professional player?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meaning of this quote by Coach Wooden, "the true athlete should have character, not be a character"?
2. What caused Coach Wooden to enlist in the military?
3. Why didn't Coach Wooden remain a high-school basketball coach?
4. What basketball rule caused Nellie and Coach Wooden to break up several times? Was this a good rule?
5. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden says that Jack Hirsch was a bully, but he later realized Jack was lacking in confidence. Why do people who lack confidence sometimes bully?
6. Explain the offer Coach Wooden received between his junior and senior year at Purdue, including the outcome.
7. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden removes Walt Hazzard from several games for showing off. Why is showing off a negative thing?
8. In Chapter 2, where did Coach meet Nellie and why did he like her?
9. Describe Keith Erickson.
10. Explain what happened between Coach Wooden and one of his South Bend students named Eddie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden discussed many of his players and interactions he had with them. Choose three of Coach Wooden's players, discuss what you learned from them and give your opinion on how Coach Wooden influenced them.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden received many honors towards the end of his career.
Part 1) Describe the honors that Coach Wooden receives and give your opinion as to whether or not he deserved those honors.
Part 2) Write about what it means to be "basketball coach emeritus at UCLA."
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden says that a player that gives his all have self-control, composure, and endurance. Write as if you were coaching a team. Describe what type of team it would be and how you would apply each of these three attributes in your coaching.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)