|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before his senior year, who was Wooden recruited by?
2. What took Wooden away from his home in 1943?
3. Where did Wooden go the morning after his wedding?
4. Most of Coach Wooden's college players were what?
5. How did Coach Wooden deal with players who stood up to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Coach Wooden remain a high-school basketball coach?
2. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
3. Why didn't Coach Wooden seek a career as a professional basketball player?
4. In Chapter 1, did Coach Wooden made the right decision by pulling Fred Slaughter from the championship game?
5. Once enlisted in the military, what stopped Coach Wooden from serving overseas?
6. Describe how Coach Wooden learned to play basketball as a child.
7. In Chapter 2, where did Coach meet Nellie and why did he like her?
8. What caused Coach Wooden to take his first college teaching position?
9. Why didn't Coach Wooden and Nellie have enough money for the wedding they had planned?
10. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden says that Jack Hirsch was a bully, but he later realized Jack was lacking in confidence. Why do people who lack confidence sometimes bully?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden describes the importance of being a role model for young people. He uses this idea many times in his coaching.
Part 1) Write a brief description of what it means to be a role model.
Part 2) Write about times when Coach Wooden was a good role model. Use examples from the book.
Part 3) Write about times when Coach Wooden was not a good role model. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden takes about how the coach/player relationship becomes like a father/son relationship. Compare and contrast the relationship between a coach and a player and a father and son. Give examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden says that his wife Nellie is one of his biggest inspirations. Use specific examples from the book to write about what why Coach and Nellie have a strong marriage. Describe specific instances when Nellie offered Coach inspiration.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)