|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Coach Wooden spot future guard Gail Goodrich playing basketball?
2. What other sport did high-school player Eddie play that Coach Wooden mistakenly thought was a better fit for him?
3. Why did Coach Wooden reject an offer to play at the NAIA tournament in Kansas City?
4. Wooden was told to report to the U.S.S. Franklin in the South Pacific to serve in what position?
5. In what year did the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor, drawing the US into World War II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's wedding.
2. Why didn't Coach Wooden and Nellie have enough money for the wedding they had planned?
3. What is the meaning of this quote by Coach Wooden, "the true athlete should have character, not be a character"?
4. In Chapter 1, how did Coach Wooden react when he saw Kenny Washington crying in the locker room due to homesickness? Do you think his reaction was right?
5. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden removes Walt Hazzard from several games for showing off. Why is showing off a negative thing?
6. Explain Coach Lambert's coaching philosophy.
7. Discuss some of the advice Coach Wooden's father gave him in his elementary graduation letter.
8. Describe Wooden's relationship with his high-school coach Glenn Curtis.
9. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
10. Describe Keith Erickson.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several occasions in the book where Coach Wooden discusses removing players from a game or practice for different reasons.
Part 1) Compare the different occasions and reasons. How are they similar? How are they different?
Part 2) Do you think Coach was right or wrong in each of these occasions. Why?
Part 3) Do Coach's decisions make the players better players? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden discusses the theme of race many times, especially during the years that Kareem Abdul Jabbar played on his team.
Part 1) Write about some of the specific stories Coach shares in the book concerning race.
Part 2) Write about how Coach deals with racial issues from the public about his team.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden received many honors towards the end of his career.
Part 1) Describe the honors that Coach Wooden receives and give your opinion as to whether or not he deserved those honors.
Part 2) Write about what it means to be "basketball coach emeritus at UCLA."
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)