|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides coaching at the high-school level, what class did Coach Wooden teach?
2. What incident caused Coach Wooden to refer to the coach/player relationship as a father/son relationship?
3. Before his senior year, who was Wooden recruited by?
4. Which player replaced the player who was removed by Coach Wooden from the championship game?
5. Who was the talented leader of the UCLA team's defense?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's relationship throughout their high-school years.
2. Explain the offer Coach Wooden received between his junior and senior year at Purdue, including the outcome.
3. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden says that Jack Hirsch was a bully, but he later realized Jack was lacking in confidence. Why do people who lack confidence sometimes bully?
4. Describe Keith Erickson.
5. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden removes Walt Hazzard from several games for showing off. Why is showing off a negative thing?
6. Why didn't Coach Wooden remain a high-school basketball coach?
7. Once enlisted in the military, what stopped Coach Wooden from serving overseas?
8. How did Coach Wooden come to have a "good luck charm"?
9. Explain how Coach Wooden earned money while in college.
10. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's wedding.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden discussed many people that were good at recruiting for UCLA.
Write about the different people who Coach thought were good at recruiting and why.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden discusses talent, fame, and conceit. He describes how each one of these can be a part of a player's life.
Part 1) Write about talent. Where does it come from? What is the responsibility of someone with their talent?
Part 2) Write about fame. Where does it come from? What types of things do famous people deal with?
Part 3) Write about conceit. What causes conceit? How can it damage a person? How can conceit be controlled or changed?
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden says that his wife Nellie is one of his biggest inspirations. Use specific examples from the book to write about what why Coach and Nellie have a strong marriage. Describe specific instances when Nellie offered Coach inspiration.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)