|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Nellie and Coach Wooden break up several times during high school?
2. In what year did the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor, drawing the US into World War II?
3. After Coach Wooden's first high-school coaching job, where did he move for his second high-school coaching job?
4. According to Coach Wooden, Coach Lambert coached based on what?
5. Where did Coach Wooden spot future guard Gail Goodrich playing basketball?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Wooden's relationship with his high-school coach Glenn Curtis.
2. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden removes Walt Hazzard from several games for showing off. Why is showing off a negative thing?
3. Why didn't Coach Wooden remain a high-school basketball coach?
4. Describe how Coach Wooden learned to play basketball as a child.
5. How did Coach Wooden come to have a "good luck charm"?
6. Discuss some of the advice Coach Wooden's father gave him in his elementary graduation letter.
7. In Chapter 1, how did Coach Wooden react when he saw Kenny Washington crying in the locker room due to homesickness? Do you think his reaction was right?
8. What caused Coach Wooden to take his first college teaching position?
9. In Chapter 8, Coach Wooden says that coaches can sometimes be subconsciously influenced by their players. What does he mean by this?
10. What is the meaning of this quote by Coach Wooden, "the true athlete should have character, not be a character"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden discussed many people that were good at recruiting for UCLA.
Write about the different people who Coach thought were good at recruiting and why.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden left his coaching temporarily to enlist in WWII.
Part 1) Describe what event caused Coach Wooden to voluntarily enlist in the military.
Part 2) Based on what you know about Coach Wooden, write about what kind of solider you think he would have been. Use specific examples from the book that describe his personality and character traits.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden discusses talent, fame, and conceit. He describes how each one of these can be a part of a player's life.
Part 1) Write about talent. Where does it come from? What is the responsibility of someone with their talent?
Part 2) Write about fame. Where does it come from? What types of things do famous people deal with?
Part 3) Write about conceit. What causes conceit? How can it damage a person? How can conceit be controlled or changed?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)