|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Coach Wooden meet his future wife, Nellie?
2. Where did Wooden go the morning after his wedding?
3. What prevented Wooden from fulfilling his position in the South Pacific?
4. Why did Coach Wooden get upset with his high-school basketball coach, Glenn Curtis?
5. What made team forward Keith Erickson very upset during games?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Coach Wooden remain a high-school basketball coach?
2. Explain how Coach Wooden earned money while in college.
3. Explain the offer Coach Wooden received between his junior and senior year at Purdue, including the outcome.
4. What caused Coach Wooden to take his first college teaching position?
5. In Chapter 2, where did Coach meet Nellie and why did he like her?
6. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden says that Jack Hirsch was a bully, but he later realized Jack was lacking in confidence. Why do people who lack confidence sometimes bully?
7. How did Coach Wooden feel about money?
8. Describe Keith Erickson.
9. Describe Wooden's relationship with his high-school coach Glenn Curtis.
10. In Chapter 1, how did Coach Wooden react when he saw Kenny Washington crying in the locker room due to homesickness? Do you think his reaction was right?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden describes one of the most gratifying moment of his career as being when a reporter asks one of his player about racial issues on the team and the players responds by saying, "Coach doesn't see color."
Part 1) Explain what the player meant by this statement.
Part 2) Give specific examples from the book that prove this statement to be true.
Part 3) Write why you think Coach referred to this as one of the most gratifying moments of his career.
Essay Topic 2
Several times in They Call Me Coach, Coach Wooden discusses events in his childhood and teenager years, as well as how these events influence his life.
Part 1) Discuss how positive events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
Part 2) Discuss how negative events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
As you write each part, use examples from Coach's childhood and/or teenage years to explain your point.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden discusses talent, fame, and conceit. He describes how each one of these can be a part of a player's life.
Part 1) Write about talent. Where does it come from? What is the responsibility of someone with their talent?
Part 2) Write about fame. Where does it come from? What types of things do famous people deal with?
Part 3) Write about conceit. What causes conceit? How can it damage a person? How can conceit be controlled or changed?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)