|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the talented leader of the UCLA team's defense?
2. When the Wooden family moved to Martinsville, what did Coach Wooden's father do for a living?
3. After Wooden and Nellie got married, how much money a week did Wooden make working with Coach Curtis?
4. What caused Wooden to return to his high-school basketball team after he walked off the team?
5. Who eventually became principal and superintendent of Martinsville Schools?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Coach Wooden come to have a "good luck charm"?
2. How did Coach Wooden feel about money?
3. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden says that Jack Hirsch was a bully, but he later realized Jack was lacking in confidence. Why do people who lack confidence sometimes bully?
4. What basketball rule caused Nellie and Coach Wooden to break up several times? Was this a good rule?
5. What is the meaning of this quote by Coach Wooden, "the true athlete should have character, not be a character"?
6. Describe the incident in Chapter 2 between Coach Wooden and his brother and the impact it had on Coach.
7. Explain what happened between Coach Wooden and one of his South Bend students named Eddie.
8. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's wedding.
9. Explain Coach Wooden's duties and pay when he got his first high-school coaching job in Dayton.
10. Discuss some of the advice Coach Wooden's father gave him in his elementary graduation letter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden's father gave him a note for his elementary school graduation with advice about life. Coach Wooden said that he decided to live his life according to the advice in the note and kept it in his wallet his whole life. Choose several of the points in the note and write about how Coach Wooden applied each of the points to his life. Use specific examples from the book to support what you write.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden discussed many people that were good at recruiting for UCLA.
Write about the different people who Coach thought were good at recruiting and why.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden shares several quotes that he lives his life by. Choose two of the following quotes and write about its meaning, how Coach applied it to his life, and how you can apply it to your life.
"The true athlete should have character, not be a character."
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
"Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
"It isn't what you do, it's how you do it."
"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be."
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)