Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Coach Wooden tell Kenny Washington when he catches Kenny crying because he is homesick?
2. Who did Wooden replace as coach at Indiana State?
3. What did Coach Wooden always carry in his wallet?
4. Wooden was told to report to the U.S.S. Franklin in the South Pacific to serve in what position?
5. What does Wooden say that many coaches and players develop during their career?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
2. Why didn't Coach Wooden remain a high-school basketball coach?
3. In Chapter 8, Coach Wooden says that coaches can sometimes be subconsciously influenced by their players. What does he mean by this?
4. Describe the incident in Chapter 2 between Coach Wooden and his brother and the impact it had on Coach.
5. Why didn't Coach Wooden and Nellie have enough money for the wedding they had planned?
6. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's wedding.
7. Explain Coach Wooden's duties and pay when he got his first high-school coaching job in Dayton.
8. Did Fred Slaughter respect Coach Wooden?
9. How did Coach Wooden come to have a "good luck charm"?
10. Why didn't Coach Wooden seek a career as a professional basketball player?
Coach Wooden says that his wife Nellie is one of his biggest inspirations. Use specific examples from the book to write about what why Coach and Nellie have a strong marriage. Describe specific instances when Nellie offered Coach inspiration.
Several times in They Call Me Coach, Coach Wooden discusses events in his childhood and teenager years, as well as how these events influence his life.
Part 1) Discuss how positive events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
Part 2) Discuss how negative events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
As you write each part, use examples from Coach's childhood and/or teenage years to explain your point.
Coach Wooden discusses the theme of race many times, especially during the years that Kareem Abdul Jabbar played on his team.
Part 1) Write about some of the specific stories Coach shares in the book concerning race.
Part 2) Write about how Coach deals with racial issues from the public about his team.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)