|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Coach Wooden's high-school coach prohibit his players from doing during basketball season?
2. Why did Wooden stay a coach when he could have earned much more money as a professional player?
3. In what year did Coach Wooden move back to Indiana?
4. What made Coach Wooden want to enlist in the military?
5. Why didn't Wooden go overseas while in the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Coach Wooden and Nellie have enough money for the wedding they had planned?
2. What is the meaning of this quote by Coach Wooden, "the true athlete should have character, not be a character"?
3. In Chapter 2, where did Coach meet Nellie and why did he like her?
4. Describe Keith Erickson.
5. How did Coach Wooden feel about money?
6. Explain the offer Coach Wooden received between his junior and senior year at Purdue, including the outcome.
7. How did Coach Wooden come to have a "good luck charm"?
8. Explain what happened between Coach Wooden and one of his South Bend students named Eddie.
9. Did Fred Slaughter respect Coach Wooden?
10. Describe Wooden's relationship with his high-school coach Glenn Curtis.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden discusses the theme of race many times, especially during the years that Kareem Abdul Jabbar played on his team.
Part 1) Write about some of the specific stories Coach shares in the book concerning race.
Part 2) Write about how Coach deals with racial issues from the public about his team.
Essay Topic 2
In the book, the theme of unity on a team is repeated several times.
Part 1) Write about how Coach Wooden would build unity on his teams. Use specific examples from the book.
Part 2) Write about the benefits of learning unity and what other areas of life the lesson of unity can be applied to.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden shares several quotes that he lives his life by. Choose two of the following quotes and write about its meaning, how Coach applied it to his life, and how you can apply it to your life.
"The true athlete should have character, not be a character."
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
"Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
"It isn't what you do, it's how you do it."
"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be."
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)