Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Coach Wooden tell Kenny Washington when he catches Kenny crying because he is homesick?
2. Who did Wooden replace as coach at Indiana State?
3. What did Coach Wooden always carry in his wallet?
4. Wooden was told to report to the U.S.S. Franklin in the South Pacific to serve in what position?
5. What does Wooden say that many coaches and players develop during their career?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
2. Why didn't Coach Wooden remain a high-school basketball coach?
3. In Chapter 8, Coach Wooden says that coaches can sometimes be subconsciously influenced by their players. What does he mean by this?
4. Describe the incident in Chapter 2 between Coach Wooden and his brother and the impact it had on Coach.
5. Why didn't Coach Wooden and Nellie have enough money for the wedding they had planned?
6. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's wedding.
7. Explain Coach Wooden's duties and pay when he got his first high-school coaching job in Dayton.
8. Did Fred Slaughter respect Coach Wooden?
9. How did Coach Wooden come to have a "good luck charm"?
10. Why didn't Coach Wooden seek a career as a professional basketball player?
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden says that a player that gives his all have self-control, composure, and endurance. Write as if you were coaching a team. Describe what type of team it would be and how you would apply each of these three attributes in your coaching.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden discusses the theme of race many times, especially during the years that Kareem Abdul Jabbar played on his team.
Part 1) Write about some of the specific stories Coach shares in the book concerning race.
Part 2) Write about how Coach deals with racial issues from the public about his team.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden takes about how the coach/player relationship becomes like a father/son relationship. Compare and contrast the relationship between a coach and a player and a father and son. Give examples from the book.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)