|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Wooden attend college?
2. Which player replaced the player who was removed by Coach Wooden from the championship game?
3. What became known as Wooden's "good luck piece" during games at Purdue?
4. What coaching concept applied by Coach Curtis did Coach Wooden disagree with?
5. In Chapter 1, who did Coach Wooden remove from the championship game because he was having an off night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Coach Lambert's coaching philosophy.
2. Explain what happened between Coach Wooden and one of his South Bend students named Eddie.
3. Discuss some of the advice Coach Wooden's father gave him in his elementary graduation letter.
4. How did Coach Wooden feel about money?
5. What caused Coach Wooden to enlist in the military?
6. Why didn't Coach Wooden and Nellie have enough money for the wedding they had planned?
7. How did Coach Wooden come to have a "good luck charm"?
8. What basketball rule caused Nellie and Coach Wooden to break up several times? Was this a good rule?
9. Explain how Coach Wooden earned money while in college.
10. Describe the incident in Chapter 2 between Coach Wooden and his brother and the impact it had on Coach.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden develops what he calls "John Wooden's Pyramid of Success." Complete the following.
1) Write about the levels of John Wooden's Pyramid of Success and how they can be applied to someone's life.
2) Write about each level and include one example from Coach's life where he applied the level.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden's father gave him a note for his elementary school graduation with advice about life. Coach Wooden said that he decided to live his life according to the advice in the note and kept it in his wallet his whole life. Choose several of the points in the note and write about how Coach Wooden applied each of the points to his life. Use specific examples from the book to support what you write.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden discusses talent, fame, and conceit. He describes how each one of these can be a part of a player's life.
Part 1) Write about talent. Where does it come from? What is the responsibility of someone with their talent?
Part 2) Write about fame. Where does it come from? What types of things do famous people deal with?
Part 3) Write about conceit. What causes conceit? How can it damage a person? How can conceit be controlled or changed?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)