|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who loaned Wooden some money for his wedding?
2. How did Coach Wooden deal with players who stood up to him?
3. After the war, what was difficult for Coach Wooden's family to find in South Bend?
4. How did Wooden lose all the money he had saved?
5. What did Coach Wooden's brother do to him as a child that make him very angry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Coach Wooden seek a career as a professional basketball player?
2. Describe the incident in Chapter 2 between Coach Wooden and his brother and the impact it had on Coach.
3. In Chapter 1, how did Coach Wooden react when he saw Kenny Washington crying in the locker room due to homesickness? Do you think his reaction was right?
4. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's wedding.
5. Why didn't Coach Wooden and Nellie have enough money for the wedding they had planned?
6. In Chapter 1, did Coach Wooden made the right decision by pulling Fred Slaughter from the championship game?
7. What caused Coach Wooden to enlist in the military?
8. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden says that Jack Hirsch was a bully, but he later realized Jack was lacking in confidence. Why do people who lack confidence sometimes bully?
9. Explain what happened between Coach Wooden and one of his South Bend students named Eddie.
10. In Chapter 2, where did Coach meet Nellie and why did he like her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several occasions in the book where Coach Wooden discusses removing players from a game or practice for different reasons.
Part 1) Compare the different occasions and reasons. How are they similar? How are they different?
Part 2) Do you think Coach was right or wrong in each of these occasions. Why?
Part 3) Do Coach's decisions make the players better players? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden received many honors towards the end of his career.
Part 1) Describe the honors that Coach Wooden receives and give your opinion as to whether or not he deserved those honors.
Part 2) Write about what it means to be "basketball coach emeritus at UCLA."
Essay Topic 3
Several times in They Call Me Coach, Coach Wooden discusses events in his childhood and teenager years, as well as how these events influence his life.
Part 1) Discuss how positive events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
Part 2) Discuss how negative events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
As you write each part, use examples from Coach's childhood and/or teenage years to explain your point.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)