Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Coach Wooden tell Kenny Washington when he catches Kenny crying because he is homesick?
2. Who did Wooden replace as coach at Indiana State?
3. What did Coach Wooden always carry in his wallet?
4. Wooden was told to report to the U.S.S. Franklin in the South Pacific to serve in what position?
5. What does Wooden say that many coaches and players develop during their career?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
2. Why didn't Coach Wooden remain a high-school basketball coach?
3. In Chapter 8, Coach Wooden says that coaches can sometimes be subconsciously influenced by their players. What does he mean by this?
4. Describe the incident in Chapter 2 between Coach Wooden and his brother and the impact it had on Coach.
5. Why didn't Coach Wooden and Nellie have enough money for the wedding they had planned?
6. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's wedding.
7. Explain Coach Wooden's duties and pay when he got his first high-school coaching job in Dayton.
8. Did Fred Slaughter respect Coach Wooden?
9. How did Coach Wooden come to have a "good luck charm"?
10. Why didn't Coach Wooden seek a career as a professional basketball player?
When people have to make a decision, a good way to think it through is by making a "pros and cons" list. Coach Wooden had an important decision to make between playing professional basketball or staying a coach. He decided to stay a coach because he loves to teach.
Write as if you were Coach Wooden making this decision. Writing about the pros and cons of choosing professional basketball and the pros and cons of staying a coach. As a conclusion write why you think Coach made the right or wrong decision based on the pros and cons lists.
Coach Wooden describes one of the most gratifying moment of his career as being when a reporter asks one of his player about racial issues on the team and the players responds by saying, "Coach doesn't see color."
Part 1) Explain what the player meant by this statement.
Part 2) Give specific examples from the book that prove this statement to be true.
Part 3) Write why you think Coach referred to this as one of the most gratifying moments of his career.
Coach Wooden left his coaching temporarily to enlist in WWII.
Part 1) Describe what event caused Coach Wooden to voluntarily enlist in the military.
Part 2) Based on what you know about Coach Wooden, write about what kind of solider you think he would have been. Use specific examples from the book that describe his personality and character traits.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)