|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During many games, Coach Wooden told Jack Hirsch to stop acting like a what?
2. Besides coaching at the high-school level, what class did Coach Wooden teach?
3. What does Coach Wooden say a coach often feels about his players?
4. What does Wooden say that many coaches and players develop during their career?
5. Coach Wooden's father told him to make each day what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, where did Coach meet Nellie and why did he like her?
2. How did Coach Wooden feel about money?
3. What basketball rule caused Nellie and Coach Wooden to break up several times? Was this a good rule?
4. Why didn't Coach Wooden remain a high-school basketball coach?
5. What is the meaning of this quote by Coach Wooden, "the true athlete should have character, not be a character"?
6. What caused Coach Wooden to enlist in the military?
7. Explain Coach Wooden's duties and pay when he got his first high-school coaching job in Dayton.
8. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
9. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's wedding.
10. In Chapter 1, how did Coach Wooden react when he saw Kenny Washington crying in the locker room due to homesickness? Do you think his reaction was right?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, the theme of unity on a team is repeated several times.
Part 1) Write about how Coach Wooden would build unity on his teams. Use specific examples from the book.
Part 2) Write about the benefits of learning unity and what other areas of life the lesson of unity can be applied to.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden had two sides to his coaching. One side is practical, such as instructing the students in how to put on socks, the other side is mental, such as teaching them to not show emotion if they win or lose. Write about both sides of Coach Wooden's coaching using specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden describes the importance of being a role model for young people. He uses this idea many times in his coaching.
Part 1) Write a brief description of what it means to be a role model.
Part 2) Write about times when Coach Wooden was a good role model. Use examples from the book.
Part 3) Write about times when Coach Wooden was not a good role model. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)