|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What signal did Coach Wooden give to Nellie before each game when he was a coach?
2. Wooden learned that students who do what, can get free tuition?
3. After Coach Wooden's first high-school coaching job, where did he move for his second high-school coaching job?
4. When Walt Hazzard played in a game, he liked to stand out by doing which of the following?
5. Who loaned Wooden some money for his wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the importance of socks and shoes according to Coach Wooden.
2. What did Coach Wooden believe was a great motivator and how did he use this to help his team?
3. Explain John Wooden's Pyramid of Success.
4. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
5. Why didn't Coach Wooden ask his players to give 110%?
6. In Chapter 1, how did Coach Wooden react when he saw Kenny Washington crying in the locker room due to homesickness? Do you think his reaction was right?
7. What kind of player was Sidney Wicks?
8. Explain Coach Lambert's coaching philosophy.
9. In Chapter 2, where did Coach meet Nellie and why did he like her?
10. What caused Coach Wooden to take his first college teaching position?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When people have to make a decision, a good way to think it through is by making a "pros and cons" list. Coach Wooden had an important decision to make between playing professional basketball or staying a coach. He decided to stay a coach because he loves to teach.
Write as if you were Coach Wooden making this decision. Writing about the pros and cons of choosing professional basketball and the pros and cons of staying a coach. As a conclusion write why you think Coach made the right or wrong decision based on the pros and cons lists.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden left his coaching temporarily to enlist in WWII.
Part 1) Describe what event caused Coach Wooden to voluntarily enlist in the military.
Part 2) Based on what you know about Coach Wooden, write about what kind of solider you think he would have been. Use specific examples from the book that describe his personality and character traits.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden shares several quotes that he lives his life by. Choose two of the following quotes and write about its meaning, how Coach applied it to his life, and how you can apply it to your life.
"The true athlete should have character, not be a character."
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
"Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
"It isn't what you do, it's how you do it."
"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be."
This section contains 1,835 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)