|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Coach Wooden's father told his to "drink deeply from good books, especially ..."
2. What did Coach Wooden's high-school coach prohibit his players from doing during basketball season?
3. What rank was Coach Wooden called to serve at once he enlisted?
4. Coach Wooden's father told him to make each day what?
5. Because of an incident between Coach Wooden and his brother as children, what did he vow never to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's relationship throughout their high-school years.
2. In Chapter 8, Coach Wooden says that coaches can sometimes be subconsciously influenced by their players. What does he mean by this?
3. In Chapter 1, how did Coach Wooden react when he saw Kenny Washington crying in the locker room due to homesickness? Do you think his reaction was right?
4. What caused Coach Wooden to take his first college teaching position?
5. Why didn't Coach Wooden remain a high-school basketball coach?
6. Explain Coach Lambert's coaching philosophy.
7. Describe the incident in Chapter 2 between Coach Wooden and his brother and the impact it had on Coach.
8. Why didn't Coach Wooden seek a career as a professional basketball player?
9. Discuss some of the advice Coach Wooden's father gave him in his elementary graduation letter.
10. Once enlisted in the military, what stopped Coach Wooden from serving overseas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, the theme of unity on a team is repeated several times.
Part 1) Write about how Coach Wooden would build unity on his teams. Use specific examples from the book.
Part 2) Write about the benefits of learning unity and what other areas of life the lesson of unity can be applied to.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden describes the importance of being a role model for young people. He uses this idea many times in his coaching.
Part 1) Write a brief description of what it means to be a role model.
Part 2) Write about times when Coach Wooden was a good role model. Use examples from the book.
Part 3) Write about times when Coach Wooden was not a good role model. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden had two sides to his coaching. One side is practical, such as instructing the students in how to put on socks, the other side is mental, such as teaching them to not show emotion if they win or lose. Write about both sides of Coach Wooden's coaching using specific examples from the book.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)