|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of an incident between Coach Wooden and his brother as children, what did he vow never to do?
2. Coach Lambert also taught Coach Wooden to play his own game and let the opponents what?
3. As a child, what did Coach Wooden stuff with rags to make a ball?
4. Who stopped Walt Hazzard from quitting the team?
5. Why did Coach Wooden remove Walt Hazzard from several games?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the bad habit Coach Wooden had.
2. Explain Coach Wooden's duties and pay when he got his first high-school coaching job in Dayton.
3. What caused Coach Wooden to enlist in the military?
4. What caused Coach Wooden to take his first college teaching position?
5. Explain the offer Coach Wooden received between his junior and senior year at Purdue, including the outcome.
6. What were Coach Wooden feelings about assistant coaches?
7. In Chapter 8, Coach Wooden says that coaches can sometimes be subconsciously influenced by their players. What does he mean by this?
8. What is something Coach Wooden says he will never do. Why do you think he says this?
9. What principle did Coach Wooden base his coaching career on and what does it mean?
10. In Chapter 1, did Coach Wooden made the right decision by pulling Fred Slaughter from the championship game?
Essay Topic 1
Several times in They Call Me Coach, Coach Wooden discusses events in his childhood and teenager years, as well as how these events influence his life.
Part 1) Discuss how positive events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
Part 2) Discuss how negative events in someone's childhood can influence them both positively and negatively.
As you write each part, use examples from Coach's childhood and/or teenage years to explain your point.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden had two sides to his coaching. One side is practical, such as instructing the students in how to put on socks, the other side is mental, such as teaching them to not show emotion if they win or lose. Write about both sides of Coach Wooden's coaching using specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden shares several quotes that he lives his life by. Choose two of the following quotes and write about its meaning, how Coach applied it to his life, and how you can apply it to your life.
"The true athlete should have character, not be a character."
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
"Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
"It isn't what you do, it's how you do it."
"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be."
This section contains 1,897 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)