|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Coach Wooden tell Kenny Washington when he catches Kenny crying because he is homesick?
2. Who did Wooden replace as coach at Indiana State?
3. What did Coach Wooden always carry in his wallet?
4. Wooden was told to report to the U.S.S. Franklin in the South Pacific to serve in what position?
5. What does Wooden say that many coaches and players develop during their career?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
2. Why didn't Coach Wooden remain a high-school basketball coach?
3. In Chapter 8, Coach Wooden says that coaches can sometimes be subconsciously influenced by their players. What does he mean by this?
4. Describe the incident in Chapter 2 between Coach Wooden and his brother and the impact it had on Coach.
5. Why didn't Coach Wooden and Nellie have enough money for the wedding they had planned?
6. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's wedding.
7. Explain Coach Wooden's duties and pay when he got his first high-school coaching job in Dayton.
8. Did Fred Slaughter respect Coach Wooden?
9. How did Coach Wooden come to have a "good luck charm"?
10. Why didn't Coach Wooden seek a career as a professional basketball player?
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden discussed many of his players and interactions he had with them. Choose three of Coach Wooden's players, discuss what you learned from them and give your opinion on how Coach Wooden influenced them.
Essay Topic 2
In the book, the theme of unity on a team is repeated several times.
Part 1) Write about how Coach Wooden would build unity on his teams. Use specific examples from the book.
Part 2) Write about the benefits of learning unity and what other areas of life the lesson of unity can be applied to.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden shares several quotes that he lives his life by. Choose two of the following quotes and write about its meaning, how Coach applied it to his life, and how you can apply it to your life.
"The true athlete should have character, not be a character."
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
"Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
"It isn't what you do, it's how you do it."
"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be."
This section contains 1,838 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)