|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Coach Wooden reject an offer to play at the NAIA tournament in Kansas City?
2. Who encouraged Coach Wooden to wait until after college to marry Nellie?
3. What moment does Coach Wooden refer to as "the peak" of his career?
4. Who stopped Walt Hazzard from quitting the team?
5. What rank was Coach Wooden called to serve at once he enlisted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Coach Wooden's duties and pay when he got his first high-school coaching job in Dayton.
2. Discuss some of the advice Coach Wooden's father gave him in his elementary graduation letter.
3. In Chapter 2, where did Coach meet Nellie and why did he like her?
4. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's wedding.
5. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
6. Explain what happened between Coach Wooden and one of his South Bend students named Eddie.
7. Why didn't Coach Wooden and Nellie have enough money for the wedding they had planned?
8. What caused Coach Wooden to take his first college teaching position?
9. Why didn't Coach Wooden remain a high-school basketball coach?
10. How did Coach Wooden feel about money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coach Wooden discusses the theme of race many times, especially during the years that Kareem Abdul Jabbar played on his team.
Part 1) Write about some of the specific stories Coach shares in the book concerning race.
Part 2) Write about how Coach deals with racial issues from the public about his team.
Essay Topic 2
Coach Wooden describes one of the most gratifying moment of his career as being when a reporter asks one of his player about racial issues on the team and the players responds by saying, "Coach doesn't see color."
Part 1) Explain what the player meant by this statement.
Part 2) Give specific examples from the book that prove this statement to be true.
Part 3) Write why you think Coach referred to this as one of the most gratifying moments of his career.
Essay Topic 3
Coach Wooden had specific rules for both practices and games.
Part 1) Discuss how Coach Wooden ran practices including specific rules.
Part 2) Discuss how Coach ran games including specific rules.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)