|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Nellie and Wooden celebrate after their wedding ceremony?
(a) They went to dinner and dancing.
(b) They went to an expensive hotel.
(c) They went to dinner and a concert.
(d) They moved into their apartment.
2. What moment does Coach Wooden refer to as "the peak" of his career?
(a) Making it to the NCAA championship game for the first time.
(b) A conversation he has with Fred Slaughter after a game.
(c) Watching Walt Hazzard score the winning basket at a champanionship game.
(d) Receiving his job at UCLA.
3. Where would Coach have stayed if it were up to him?
(c) South Bend.
4. After the war, what was difficult for Coach Wooden's family to find in South Bend?
(a) Affordable housing.
(b) A job for Nellie.
(c) Kind neighbors.
(d) Adequate schools.
5. What became known as Wooden's "good luck piece" during games at Purdue?
(a) A key tied to his shoe.
(b) A necklace from his mother.
(c) Socks with green trim.
(d) A picture of Nellie in his pocket.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Coach Wooden describes himself and Nellie, what does he say?
2. Why did Coach Wooden's family move to Martinsville?
3. In what year of Coach Wooden's college coaching experience, did his team win their conference title?
4. Coach Wooden's father told his to "drink deeply from good books, especially ..."
5. Who encouraged Coach Wooden to wait until after college to marry Nellie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the offer Coach Wooden received between his junior and senior year at Purdue, including the outcome.
2. Explain Coach Lambert's coaching philosophy.
3. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden says that Jack Hirsch was a bully, but he later realized Jack was lacking in confidence. Why do people who lack confidence sometimes bully?
4. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's wedding.
5. Describe the incident in Chapter 2 between Coach Wooden and his brother and the impact it had on Coach.
6. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden removes Walt Hazzard from several games for showing off. Why is showing off a negative thing?
7. Why didn't Coach Wooden remain a high-school basketball coach?
8. In Chapter 1, did Coach Wooden made the right decision by pulling Fred Slaughter from the championship game?
9. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's relationship throughout their high-school years.
10. Describe how Coach Wooden learned to play basketball as a child.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)