|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Coach Wooden tell Kenny Washington when he catches Kenny crying because he is homesick?
(a) Go call your mom.
(b) Basketball players do not cry.
(c) Shape up or ship out.
(d) It is okay to be homesick.
2. Who did Wooden replace as coach at Indiana State?
(a) Fred Slaughter.
(b) Doug McIntosh.
(c) Kenny Washington.
(d) Glenn Curtis.
3. What did Coach Wooden always carry in his wallet?
(a) A note from his dad.
(b) His player's names.
(d) A picture of his wife.
4. Wooden was told to report to the U.S.S. Franklin in the South Pacific to serve in what position?
(b) Deck hand.
(c) Special operations.
(d) Fitness officer.
5. What does Wooden say that many coaches and players develop during their career?
(a) Bad habits.
(b) Family problems.
(c) Health problems.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before his senior year, who was Wooden recruited by?
2. What signal did Coach Wooden give to Nellie before each high-school game?
3. According to Coach Wooden, Coach Lambert coached based on what?
4. What other sport did high-school player Eddie play that Coach Wooden mistakenly thought was a better fit for him?
5. Who loaned Wooden some money for his wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
2. Why didn't Coach Wooden remain a high-school basketball coach?
3. In Chapter 8, Coach Wooden says that coaches can sometimes be subconsciously influenced by their players. What does he mean by this?
4. Describe the incident in Chapter 2 between Coach Wooden and his brother and the impact it had on Coach.
5. Why didn't Coach Wooden and Nellie have enough money for the wedding they had planned?
6. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's wedding.
7. Explain Coach Wooden's duties and pay when he got his first high-school coaching job in Dayton.
8. Did Fred Slaughter respect Coach Wooden?
9. How did Coach Wooden come to have a "good luck charm"?
10. Why didn't Coach Wooden seek a career as a professional basketball player?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)