|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Coach Wooden's father told him to make each day what?
(a) A new beginning.
(b) A masterpiece.
(c) The best day it can be.
2. Besides coaching at the high-school level, what class did Coach Wooden teach?
3. After the war, what was difficult for Coach Wooden's family to find in South Bend?
(a) A job for Nellie.
(b) Kind neighbors.
(c) Adequate schools.
(d) Affordable housing.
4. What signal did Coach Wooden give to Nellie before each high-school game?
(a) He waved at her.
(b) He winked at her.
(c) He blew her a kiss.
(d) He gave her the okay sign.
5. One of Wooden's favorite quotes says, "do not let what you can't do interfere with...?
(a) Your God-given talent.
(b) What you can do.
(c) What you won't do.
(d) Your natural abilities.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor, drawing the US into World War II?
2. Who did Wooden replace as coach at Indiana State?
3. According to Coach Wooden, a true athlete should have what?
4. How did Coach Wooden deal with players who stood up to him?
5. When Coach Wooden describes himself and Nellie, what does he say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What basketball rule caused Nellie and Coach Wooden to break up several times? Was this a good rule?
2. Explain how Coach Wooden earned money while in college.
3. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
4. Discuss some of the advice Coach Wooden's father gave him in his elementary graduation letter.
5. What is the meaning of this quote by Coach Wooden, "the true athlete should have character, not be a character"?
6. How did Coach Wooden feel about money?
7. What caused Coach Wooden to enlist in the military?
8. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden says that Jack Hirsch was a bully, but he later realized Jack was lacking in confidence. Why do people who lack confidence sometimes bully?
9. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden removes Walt Hazzard from several games for showing off. Why is showing off a negative thing?
10. Once enlisted in the military, what stopped Coach Wooden from serving overseas?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)