|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Coach Wooden's father told him to make each day what?
(a) A masterpiece.
(c) The best day it can be.
(d) A new beginning.
2. Wooden was told to report to the U.S.S. Franklin in the South Pacific to serve in what position?
(a) Special operations.
(b) Deck hand.
(c) Fitness officer.
3. After the war, what was difficult for Coach Wooden's family to find in South Bend?
(a) Kind neighbors.
(b) Adequate schools.
(c) Affordable housing.
(d) A job for Nellie.
4. When Coach Wooden was a child, what was his first basketball hoop made out of?
(a) A hallowed out piece of wood.
(b) A tomato basket.
(c) An old tire.
(d) A bucket.
5. Who loaned Wooden some money for his wedding?
(a) Nellie's best friend's father.
(b) Coach Curtis.
(c) Wooden's father.
(d) Nellie's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which player replaced the player who was removed by Coach Wooden from the championship game?
2. Who eventually became principal and superintendent of Martinsville Schools?
3. Where was Coach Wooden's first college coaching job?
4. Veterans who wanted to go to college after the war could go at the military's expense. This was called the what?
5. What rank was Coach Wooden called to serve at once he enlisted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Coach Wooden to take his first college teaching position?
2. What caused Coach Wooden to enlist in the military?
3. Describe Wooden's relationship with his high-school coach Glenn Curtis.
4. Discuss some of the advice Coach Wooden's father gave him in his elementary graduation letter.
5. In Chapter 2, where did Coach meet Nellie and why did he like her?
6. How did Coach Wooden feel about money?
7. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's wedding.
8. Why didn't Coach Wooden seek a career as a professional basketball player?
9. Describe Coach Wooden's team his first year at Indiana State University.
10. What is the meaning of this quote by Coach Wooden, "the true athlete should have character, not be a character"?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)