|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wooden say that many coaches and players develop during their career?
(a) Family problems.
(b) Health problems.
(c) Bad habits.
2. How did Nellie and Wooden celebrate after their wedding ceremony?
(a) They went to dinner and dancing.
(b) They went to dinner and a concert.
(c) They went to an expensive hotel.
(d) They moved into their apartment.
3. What rank was Coach Wooden called to serve at once he enlisted?
(d) Petty officer.
4. Why did Coach Wooden reject an offer to play at the NAIA tournament in Kansas City?
(a) He would not be allowed to use his own playbook.
(b) He would not be allowed to chaperon the team in the dorms.
(c) He would not be allowed to bring a black player.
(d) He would not be allowed to bring his whole team.
5. Before his senior year, who was Wooden recruited by?
(a) US Military Academy at West Point.
(b) University of Indiana.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Wooden start college?
2. Who first noticed Wooden's "good luck charm"?
3. How did Doug McIntosh feel when Coach Wooden pulled him from the championship game?
4. Coach Wooden's father told his to "drink deeply from good books, especially ..."
5. What signal did Coach Wooden give to Nellie before each game when he was a coach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once enlisted in the military, what stopped Coach Wooden from serving overseas?
2. What caused Coach Wooden to enlist in the military?
3. Discuss some of the advice Coach Wooden's father gave him in his elementary graduation letter.
4. Explain how Coach Wooden earned money while in college.
5. In Chapter 1, Coach Wooden says that Jack Hirsch was a bully, but he later realized Jack was lacking in confidence. Why do people who lack confidence sometimes bully?
6. Explain what happened between Coach Wooden and one of his South Bend students named Eddie.
7. Describe Coach Wooden and Nellie's wedding.
8. What is the meaning of this quote by Coach Wooden, "the true athlete should have character, not be a character"?
9. Describe the incident in Chapter 2 between Coach Wooden and his brother and the impact it had on Coach.
10. Describe how Coach Wooden learned to play basketball as a child.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)