|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take for Coach Wooden's practice changes to take affect?
(a) Six months.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
2. How did Coach Wooden learn to treat his players from LA Dodgers manager Walter Alston?
(a) Like doves.
(b) Like scorpions.
(c) Like lions.
(d) Like bears.
3. Regardless of the outcome of a game, it was important to Coach Wooden that his players do what?
(a) Come to practice the next day.
(b) Shake hands with the other team.
(c) Wait in the locker room until Coach Wooden arrived.
(d) Keep control of their emotions.
4. In 1966, where did the UCLA team start playing?
(a) Pauley Pavilion.
(b) Cotter Gymnasium.
(c) UCLA Stadium.
(d) Wooden Hall.
5. From whom did Coach Wooden learn his managerial skills?
(a) His father.
(c) Frank Leahy.
(d) Walter Alston.
6. Why did Coach Wooden try to get out of his contract with UCLA?
(a) His family wanted to move back to Indiana.
(b) He did not like the other coaches.
(c) To accept a position as an assistant coach of a professional team.
(d) To accept a lucrative offer at Purdue.
7. Coach Wooden believed that his most successful players were not successful because of skill but because of what?
8. As Coach Wooden's children grew up and had their own children, what did they make sure they still did?
(a) Spend Sunday afternoons together.
(b) Get together for Christmas.
(c) Eat dinner together every Friday.
(d) Attend all their father's games.
9. What were the facilities like at UCLA?
(a) State of the art.
(b) In poor condition.
(d) There were none.
10. Coach Wooden believes there are no failures, just what?
(b) Poor choices.
(d) Wrong paths.
11. According to Coach Wooden, what did Kareem personify?
12. Why did Coach Wooden decide to go to the NAIA tournament his second year at ISU when he had refused his first year?
(a) Because Nellie pointed out that it would help his career.
(b) Because his team begged him to let them attend.
(c) Because he felt that his team was ready to win.
(d) Because they now allowed both black and white players.
13. Coach Wooden says that failure is not what?
(a) The end.
(b) An option.
14. While on vacation, what did Coach Wooden decide to give up for good?
(b) Eating junk food.
15. Why did Coach Wooden say that assistant coaches are so important?
(a) They were players themselves not too long ago.
(b) They were another set of eyes.
(c) They spend more one-on-one time with the players.
(d) They worked more for the love of the game then for money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Kareem get extra juice at breakfast when the other players did not?
2. In what year did UCLA win their first NCAA championship?
3. How many titles did the team win while Kareem was a player?
4. Coach Wooden taught his players that basketball was...?
5. What did Coach Wooden learn from Notre Dame football coach Frank Leahy?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)