|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What moment does Coach Wooden refer to as "the peak" of his career?
(a) Watching Walt Hazzard score the winning basket at a champanionship game.
(b) Receiving his job at UCLA.
(c) Making it to the NCAA championship game for the first time.
(d) A conversation he has with Fred Slaughter after a game.
2. What does Wooden say that many coaches and players develop during their career?
(a) Family problems.
(b) Bad habits.
(d) Health problems.
3. How did Wooden feel about money as a high-school student?
(a) He worked hard for it and managed it well.
(b) He was mad because he had to give it all to his father.
(c) He did not have money in high school.
(d) He spent everything he made.
4. Besides coaching at the high-school level, what class did Coach Wooden teach?
5. During many games, Coach Wooden told Jack Hirsch to stop acting like a what?
6. What signal did Coach Wooden give to Nellie before each game when he was a coach?
(a) He whistled at her.
(b) He introduced her to the crowd.
(c) He waved at her with his rolled up program.
(d) He winked at her.
7. Why did Nellie and Coach Wooden break up several times during high school?
(a) They argued a lot.
(b) Her father did not like him.
(c) She wanted to go out dancing and he couldn't.
(d) His friends did not like her.
8. What signal did Coach Wooden give to Nellie before each high-school game?
(a) He blew her a kiss.
(b) He gave her the okay sign.
(c) He waved at her.
(d) He winked at her.
9. In what year did Coach Wooden move back to Indiana?
10. What did Coach Wooden's brother do to him as a child that make him very angry?
(a) Pushed him in the pond.
(b) Locked him in the barn.
(c) Flipped manure on him.
(d) Punched him in the stomach.
11. Why did Coach Wooden reject an offer to play at the NAIA tournament in Kansas City?
(a) He would not be allowed to bring a black player.
(b) He would not be allowed to bring his whole team.
(c) He would not be allowed to use his own playbook.
(d) He would not be allowed to chaperon the team in the dorms.
12. What took Wooden away from his home in 1943?
(a) A family crisis.
(b) An offer to play professional basketball.
(c) Another job.
(d) World War II.
13. Before his senior year, who was Wooden recruited by?
(c) US Military Academy at West Point.
(d) University of Indiana.
14. Where was freshman player Kenny Washington from?
(b) South Carolina.
(d) New York.
15. Where did Coach Wooden meet his future wife, Nellie?
(a) At a summer carnival.
(b) At a high-school basketball game.
(c) At church.
(d) At his summer job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Wooden's first high-school coaching job?
2. Coach Wooden's father told him to make each day what?
3. Who eventually became principal and superintendent of Martinsville Schools?
4. What made Coach Wooden want to enlist in the military?
5. Most of Coach Wooden's college players were what?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)