|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Nellie and Coach Wooden break up several times during high school?
(a) Her father did not like him.
(b) She wanted to go out dancing and he couldn't.
(c) His friends did not like her.
(d) They argued a lot.
2. What took Wooden away from his home in 1943?
(a) An offer to play professional basketball.
(b) World War II.
(c) A family crisis.
(d) Another job.
3. Where did Wooden go the morning after his wedding?
(a) To look for a job.
(b) To a basketball clinic.
(c) To basketball practice.
(d) To help his coach recruit new players.
4. When Coach Wooden describes himself and Nellie, what does he say?
(a) She is shy, and he is talkative.
(b) She likes outdoor activities, and he likes to stay inside.
(c) She is full of personality and he is shy.
(d) She is loud and he is quiet.
5. What became known as Wooden's "good luck piece" during games at Purdue?
(a) A necklace from his mother.
(b) Socks with green trim.
(c) A picture of Nellie in his pocket.
(d) A key tied to his shoe.
6. One of Wooden's favorite quotes says, "do not let what you can't do interfere with...?
(a) Your God-given talent.
(b) Your natural abilities.
(c) What you can do.
(d) What you won't do.
7. In what year of Coach Wooden's college coaching experience, did his team win their conference title?
(a) His third year.
(b) His second year.
(c) His first year.
(d) His fifth year.
8. What made Coach Wooden want to enlist in the military?
(a) He had lost his coaching job.
(b) Nellie's insistence that the pay was good.
(c) Ther Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
(d) His father's legacy.
9. According to Coach Wooden, Coach Lambert coached based on what?
(a) The ability of his players.
(b) The playbook provided to him.
(c) The plays made by the opposing team.
(d) The moves he learned as a player.
10. Where did Wooden attend college?
(b) University of Alabama.
(d) Indiana State.
11. In Chapter 1, who did Coach Wooden remove from the championship game because he was having an off night?
(a) Fred Slaughter.
(b) Doug McIntosh.
(c) Jack Hirsch.
(d) Walt Hazzard.
12. Coach Wooden's father told him to make each day what?
(a) The best day it can be.
(b) A new beginning.
(c) A masterpiece.
13. What other sport did Fred Slaughter play at UCLA?
14. After Coach Wooden's first high-school coaching job, where did he move for his second high-school coaching job?
(b) Los Angeles.
(d) South Bend.
15. Coach Lambert taught his players movement by design instead of what?
(a) Exact dribbling.
(b) Memorizing moves.
(c) Precise rebounds.
(d) Repeated patterns.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where would Coach have stayed if it were up to him?
2. Where did Coach Wooden spot future guard Gail Goodrich playing basketball?
3. Which player replaced the player who was removed by Coach Wooden from the championship game?
4. What incident caused Coach Wooden to refer to the coach/player relationship as a father/son relationship?
5. What signal did Coach Wooden give to Nellie before each game when he was a coach?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)