|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stopped Walt Hazzard from quitting the team?
(a) Fred Slaughter.
(b) His father.
(c) Coach Wooden.
(d) His teammates.
2. When Walt Hazzard played in a game, he liked to stand out by doing which of the following?
(a) Getting the rebounds.
(b) Scoring the majority of the points.
(c) Making three point shots.
(d) Fancy dribbling.
3. After Wooden and Nellie got married, how much money a week did Wooden make working with Coach Curtis?
4. What signal did Coach Wooden give to Nellie before each high-school game?
(a) He gave her the okay sign.
(b) He winked at her.
(c) He waved at her.
(d) He blew her a kiss.
5. Wooden was told to report to the U.S.S. Franklin in the South Pacific to serve in what position?
(a) Deck hand.
(b) Fitness officer.
(c) Special operations.
6. In what year did Wooden start college?
7. In what year did Coach Wooden enlist in the military?
8. What did Wooden do after the war?
(a) Stayed in the military, training men for battle.
(b) Found a new job at a high school in Georgia.
(c) Played for a professional basketball team.
(d) Returned to his old coaching position in South Bend.
9. In what year of Coach Wooden's college coaching experience, did his team win their conference title?
(a) His second year.
(b) His third year.
(c) His fifth year.
(d) His first year.
10. What moment does Coach Wooden refer to as "the peak" of his career?
(a) Making it to the NCAA championship game for the first time.
(b) Receiving his job at UCLA.
(c) A conversation he has with Fred Slaughter after a game.
(d) Watching Walt Hazzard score the winning basket at a champanionship game.
11. In Coach's favorite poem, "They Ask Me Why I Teach," what was the answer to the author's question?
(a) Where else could I influence young people?
(b) Where else could I find more splendid company?
(c) Where else could I spend so much time with children.
(d) Where else could I help children learn?
12. How did Coach Wooden deal with players who stood up to him?
(a) He kicked the player off the team.
(b) He sent the player to the assistant coach.
(c) He sent the player to his teammates.
(d) He tried to understand the player's point of view.
13. Besides coaching at the high-school level, what class did Coach Wooden teach?
14. Wooden learned that students who do what, can get free tuition?
(a) Play on the basketball team.
(b) Make the dean's list.
(c) Have at least a B average.
(d) Have parents who are alumni.
15. Many of the players on Wooden's first college team has also been what?
(a) Players on the college baseball team.
(b) Players on his high-school team.
(c) Raised on a farm.
(d) Married at a young age.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Coach Wooden always carry in his wallet?
2. Which player replaced the player who was removed by Coach Wooden from the championship game?
3. When Wooden served in the military in Georgia, what was his duty?
4. Why did Coach Wooden get upset with his high-school basketball coach, Glenn Curtis?
5. Where did Wooden go the morning after his wedding?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)