|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Coach Wooden was a child, what was his first basketball hoop made out of?
(a) A tomato basket.
(b) An old tire.
(c) A bucket.
(d) A hallowed out piece of wood.
2. What did Coach Wooden tell Kenny Washington when he catches Kenny crying because he is homesick?
(a) It is okay to be homesick.
(b) Shape up or ship out.
(c) Basketball players do not cry.
(d) Go call your mom.
3. What other sport did Fred Slaughter play at UCLA?
4. What incident caused Coach Wooden to refer to the coach/player relationship as a father/son relationship?
(a) Watching his team lose the championship game.
(b) Kicking a player off the team for having a bad attitude.
(c) Taking an injured player to the hospital.
(d) Pulling a star player out of the championship game.
5. How did Wooden supplement his income?
(a) By selling sports stories to the local newspaper.
(b) By playing pro basketball on the weekends.
(c) By running basketball training camps in the summer.
(d) By waiting tables on the weekend.
6. Besides coaching at the high-school level, what class did Coach Wooden teach?
7. Who first noticed Wooden's "good luck charm"?
(a) A sports reporter.
(c) Coach Lambert.
(d) A recruiter.
8. What prevented Wooden from fulfilling his position in the South Pacific?
(a) A broken arm.
(b) Nellie's sickness.
(c) An appendectomy.
(d) A new assignment.
9. Many of the players on Wooden's first college team has also been what?
(a) Married at a young age.
(b) Raised on a farm.
(c) Players on the college baseball team.
(d) Players on his high-school team.
10. As a child, what did Coach Wooden stuff with rags to make a ball?
(a) Strips of cloth left over from his mom's sewing.
(b) His brother's overalls.
(c) His mother's hosiery.
(d) His father's old shirt.
11. What does Wooden say that many coaches and players develop during their career?
(b) Family problems.
(c) Bad habits.
(d) Health problems.
12. Where did Wooden go the morning after his wedding?
(a) To look for a job.
(b) To basketball practice.
(c) To help his coach recruit new players.
(d) To a basketball clinic.
13. After Wooden and Nellie got married, how much money a week did Wooden make working with Coach Curtis?
14. Who was the talented leader of the UCLA team's defense?
(a) Doug McIntosh.
(b) Fred Slaughter.
(c) Kenny Washington.
(d) Keith Erickson.
15. In what year of Coach Wooden's college coaching experience, did his team win their conference title?
(a) His third year.
(b) His first year.
(c) His fifth year.
(d) His second year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Coach Wooden always carry in his wallet?
2. In what year did the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor, drawing the US into World War II?
3. Wooden learned that students who do what, can get free tuition?
4. What did Wooden do after the war?
5. What took Wooden away from his home in 1943?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)