|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused Wooden to return to his high-school basketball team after he walked off the team?
(a) Several conversations with his brother, Cat.
(b) Several conversations with Nellie.
(c) Several conversations with his father.
(d) Several conversations with Coach Curtis.
2. Coach Lambert taught his players movement by design instead of what?
(a) Memorizing moves.
(b) Precise rebounds.
(c) Repeated patterns.
(d) Exact dribbling.
3. What does Coach Wooden say a coach often feels about his players?
(a) He feels like they are family.
(b) He feels like they are too time consuming.
(c) He feels like they are prideful.
(d) He feels like they are the number one priority.
4. Who first noticed Wooden's "good luck charm"?
(b) A sports reporter.
(c) Coach Lambert.
(d) A recruiter.
5. Doug McIntosh was at UCLA on a make good scholarship. What does this mean?
(a) If he breaks curfew, he loses the scholarship.
(b) If he misses practice, he loses the scholarship.
(c) If his grades are low, he loses the scholarship.
(d) If he doesn't play basketball well, he loses the scholarship.
6. Who stopped Walt Hazzard from quitting the team?
(a) His teammates.
(b) Coach Wooden.
(c) His father.
(d) Fred Slaughter.
7. What part-time job did Wooden have when he started college?
(a) Working in the college's laundry room.
(b) Cooking in a local restaurant.
(c) Waiting tables and washing dishes.
(d) A groundskeeper.
8. Because of an incident between Coach Wooden and his brother as children, what did he vow never to do?
(a) Get into a fight.
(b) Hurt someone's feelings.
9. How did Wooden supplement his income?
(a) By playing pro basketball on the weekends.
(b) By selling sports stories to the local newspaper.
(c) By running basketball training camps in the summer.
(d) By waiting tables on the weekend.
10. After the war, what was difficult for Coach Wooden's family to find in South Bend?
(a) Affordable housing.
(b) Adequate schools.
(c) Kind neighbors.
(d) A job for Nellie.
11. Who loaned Wooden some money for his wedding?
(a) Nellie's father.
(b) Nellie's best friend's father.
(c) Coach Curtis.
(d) Wooden's father.
12. During many games, Coach Wooden told Jack Hirsch to stop acting like a what?
13. Where was Coach Wooden's first college coaching job?
(b) Indiana State University.
(c) The University of Alabama.
(d) The University of Indiana.
14. One of Wooden's favorite quotes says, "do not let what you can't do interfere with...?
(a) What you won't do.
(b) Your natural abilities.
(c) What you can do.
(d) Your God-given talent.
15. What did Coach Wooden's high-school coach prohibit his players from doing during basketball season?
(a) Getting a job.
(b) Failing a class.
(c) Missing practice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which player replaced the player who was removed by Coach Wooden from the championship game?
2. Wooden learned that students who do what, can get free tuition?
3. In Coach's favorite poem, "They Ask Me Why I Teach," what was the answer to the author's question?
4. When Wooden served in the military in Georgia, what was his duty?
5. Coach Wooden's father told his to "drink deeply from good books, especially ..."
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)