|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stopped Walt Hazzard from quitting the team?
(a) Coach Wooden.
(b) His father.
(c) Fred Slaughter.
(d) His teammates.
2. Before his senior year, who was Wooden recruited by?
(b) University of Indiana.
(d) US Military Academy at West Point.
3. Who encouraged Coach Wooden to wait until after college to marry Nellie?
(a) His coach.
(b) Nellie's mother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
4. Which player replaced the player who was removed by Coach Wooden from the championship game?
(a) Walt Hazzard.
(b) Fred Slaughter.
(c) Doug McIntosh.
(d) Gail Goodrich.
5. Where did Coach Wooden meet his future wife, Nellie?
(a) At church.
(b) At his summer job.
(c) At a summer carnival.
(d) At a high-school basketball game.
6. Doug McIntosh was at UCLA on a make good scholarship. What does this mean?
(a) If his grades are low, he loses the scholarship.
(b) If he doesn't play basketball well, he loses the scholarship.
(c) If he misses practice, he loses the scholarship.
(d) If he breaks curfew, he loses the scholarship.
7. In what year did Coach Wooden enlist in the military?
8. Why did Coach Wooden get upset with his high-school basketball coach, Glenn Curtis?
(a) He didn't like the way Coach Curtis ran practice.
(b) He felt like Coach Curtis didn't give his brother a chance.
(c) He didn't agree with Coach Curtis' game philosophy.
(d) He thought Coach Curtis was disrespectful to the players.
9. In what year of Coach Wooden's college coaching experience, did his team win their conference title?
(a) His second year.
(b) His fifth year.
(c) His first year.
(d) His third year.
10. Why did Coach Wooden reject an offer to play at the NAIA tournament in Kansas City?
(a) He would not be allowed to bring a black player.
(b) He would not be allowed to use his own playbook.
(c) He would not be allowed to chaperon the team in the dorms.
(d) He would not be allowed to bring his whole team.
11. Who was the talented leader of the UCLA team's defense?
(a) Keith Erickson.
(b) Kenny Washington.
(c) Doug McIntosh.
(d) Fred Slaughter.
12. In what year did Coach Wooden move back to Indiana?
13. What does Wooden say that many coaches and players develop during their career?
(a) Health problems.
(b) Bad habits.
(c) Family problems.
14. In what year did Wooden start college?
15. What incident caused Coach Wooden to refer to the coach/player relationship as a father/son relationship?
(a) Taking an injured player to the hospital.
(b) Kicking a player off the team for having a bad attitude.
(c) Watching his team lose the championship game.
(d) Pulling a star player out of the championship game.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Wooden to return to his high-school basketball team after he walked off the team?
2. What became known as Wooden's "good luck piece" during games at Purdue?
3. In what year did the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor, drawing the US into World War II?
4. What promise did Coach Wooden make to Eddie, a young member of his South Bend team?
5. What took Wooden away from his home in 1943?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)