|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Wooden start college?
2. Wooden learned that students who do what, can get free tuition?
(a) Have at least a B average.
(b) Have parents who are alumni.
(c) Play on the basketball team.
(d) Make the dean's list.
3. As a child, what did Coach Wooden stuff with rags to make a ball?
(a) Strips of cloth left over from his mom's sewing.
(b) His brother's overalls.
(c) His mother's hosiery.
(d) His father's old shirt.
4. Veterans who wanted to go to college after the war could go at the military's expense. This was called the what?
(a) Military College Act.
(b) G.I. Bill
(c) Education for Veterans Bill.
(d) Veteran College Bill.
5. What became known as Wooden's "good luck piece" during games at Purdue?
(a) A necklace from his mother.
(b) A key tied to his shoe.
(c) A picture of Nellie in his pocket.
(d) Socks with green trim.
6. Where did Coach Wooden spot future guard Gail Goodrich playing basketball?
(a) Outside the dorm at UCLA.
(b) At another college.
(c) Outside his apartment complex.
(d) At a high-school basketball game.
7. Where would Coach have stayed if it were up to him?
(c) South Bend.
8. In Coach's favorite poem, "They Ask Me Why I Teach," what was the answer to the author's question?
(a) Where else could I influence young people?
(b) Where else could I help children learn?
(c) Where else could I spend so much time with children.
(d) Where else could I find more splendid company?
9. When Walt Hazzard played in a game, he liked to stand out by doing which of the following?
(a) Making three point shots.
(b) Fancy dribbling.
(c) Scoring the majority of the points.
(d) Getting the rebounds.
10. In what year did Coach Wooden move back to Indiana?
11. When Coach Wooden describes himself and Nellie, what does he say?
(a) She is loud and he is quiet.
(b) She is full of personality and he is shy.
(c) She likes outdoor activities, and he likes to stay inside.
(d) She is shy, and he is talkative.
12. Why did Coach Wooden reject an offer to play at the NAIA tournament in Kansas City?
(a) He would not be allowed to chaperon the team in the dorms.
(b) He would not be allowed to bring a black player.
(c) He would not be allowed to use his own playbook.
(d) He would not be allowed to bring his whole team.
13. What made team forward Keith Erickson very upset during games?
(a) If he made a foul.
(b) If Coach Wooden yelled at him.
(c) If he didn't get the opportunity to score.
(d) If the referee made a bad call.
14. Doug McIntosh was at UCLA on a make good scholarship. What does this mean?
(a) If he misses practice, he loses the scholarship.
(b) If his grades are low, he loses the scholarship.
(c) If he doesn't play basketball well, he loses the scholarship.
(d) If he breaks curfew, he loses the scholarship.
15. After Wooden and Nellie got married, how much money a week did Wooden make working with Coach Curtis?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who eventually became principal and superintendent of Martinsville Schools?
2. In what year did Coach Wooden's UCLA team win the NCAA championship game?
3. What did Coach Wooden's brother do to him as a child that make him very angry?
4. One of Wooden's favorite quotes says, "do not let what you can't do interfere with...?
5. What does Wooden say that many coaches and players develop during their career?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)