|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where would Coach have stayed if it were up to him?
(c) South Bend.
2. Where did Coach Wooden spot future guard Gail Goodrich playing basketball?
(a) At another college.
(b) Outside the dorm at UCLA.
(c) Outside his apartment complex.
(d) At a high-school basketball game.
3. When Walt Hazzard played in a game, he liked to stand out by doing which of the following?
(a) Scoring the majority of the points.
(b) Fancy dribbling.
(c) Getting the rebounds.
(d) Making three point shots.
4. What does Wooden say that many coaches and players develop during their career?
(a) Health problems.
(b) Family problems.
(d) Bad habits.
5. Wooden learned that students who do what, can get free tuition?
(a) Play on the basketball team.
(b) Have parents who are alumni.
(c) Make the dean's list.
(d) Have at least a B average.
6. How did Coach Wooden deal with players who stood up to him?
(a) He sent the player to his teammates.
(b) He sent the player to the assistant coach.
(c) He kicked the player off the team.
(d) He tried to understand the player's point of view.
7. What promise did Coach Wooden make to Eddie, a young member of his South Bend team?
(a) To remove him from the team if his attitude does not change.
(b) To start him in the next game.
(c) To buy his parents tickets to the game if they go to championships.
(d) To practice his free throws with him everyday.
8. When Coach Wooden was a child, what was his first basketball hoop made out of?
(a) An old tire.
(b) A tomato basket.
(c) A bucket.
(d) A hallowed out piece of wood.
9. Before his senior year, who was Wooden recruited by?
(c) University of Indiana.
(d) US Military Academy at West Point.
10. What caused Wooden to return to his high-school basketball team after he walked off the team?
(a) Several conversations with his brother, Cat.
(b) Several conversations with his father.
(c) Several conversations with Nellie.
(d) Several conversations with Coach Curtis.
11. After Coach Wooden's first high-school coaching job, where did he move for his second high-school coaching job?
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) South Bend.
12. How did Doug McIntosh feel when Coach Wooden pulled him from the championship game?
(a) He was mad at his fellow teammates.
(b) He was angry because he didn't get to play.
(c) He was happy because the team won.
(d) He was depressed because his family came to watch him.
13. What did Coach Wooden tell Kenny Washington when he catches Kenny crying because he is homesick?
(a) Basketball players do not cry.
(b) It is okay to be homesick.
(c) Shape up or ship out.
(d) Go call your mom.
14. In Coach's favorite poem, "They Ask Me Why I Teach," what was the answer to the author's question?
(a) Where else could I find more splendid company?
(b) Where else could I influence young people?
(c) Where else could I help children learn?
(d) Where else could I spend so much time with children.
15. What prevented Wooden from fulfilling his position in the South Pacific?
(a) A broken arm.
(b) An appendectomy.
(c) Nellie's sickness.
(d) A new assignment.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Wooden served in the military in Georgia, what was his duty?
2. Where did Wooden go the morning after his wedding?
3. Who did Wooden replace as coach at Indiana State?
4. What coaching concept applied by Coach Curtis did Coach Wooden disagree with?
5. What did Coach Wooden's high-school coach prohibit his players from doing during basketball season?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)