|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Coach Wooden's first college coaching job?
(a) The University of Indiana.
(c) Indiana State University.
(d) The University of Alabama.
2. How did Wooden supplement his income?
(a) By waiting tables on the weekend.
(b) By selling sports stories to the local newspaper.
(c) By playing pro basketball on the weekends.
(d) By running basketball training camps in the summer.
3. Why did Nellie and Coach Wooden break up several times during high school?
(a) They argued a lot.
(b) Her father did not like him.
(c) She wanted to go out dancing and he couldn't.
(d) His friends did not like her.
4. Who does Coach Wooden refer to as a "team leader"?
(a) Gail Goodrich.
(b) Walt Hazzard.
(c) Fred Slaughter.
(d) Willie Haulls.
5. Why did Coach Wooden remove Walt Hazzard from several games?
(a) Because he did not get along with the other players.
(b) Because he showed off on the court.
(c) Because he yelled at the referees.
(d) Because he made too many fouls.
6. How did Wooden feel about money as a high-school student?
(a) He did not have money in high school.
(b) He was mad because he had to give it all to his father.
(c) He worked hard for it and managed it well.
(d) He spent everything he made.
7. How did Coach Wooden deal with players who stood up to him?
(a) He sent the player to the assistant coach.
(b) He kicked the player off the team.
(c) He sent the player to his teammates.
(d) He tried to understand the player's point of view.
8. Why did Coach Wooden reject an offer to play at the NAIA tournament in Kansas City?
(a) He would not be allowed to use his own playbook.
(b) He would not be allowed to bring his whole team.
(c) He would not be allowed to bring a black player.
(d) He would not be allowed to chaperon the team in the dorms.
9. Where did Coach Wooden spot future guard Gail Goodrich playing basketball?
(a) At another college.
(b) At a high-school basketball game.
(c) Outside his apartment complex.
(d) Outside the dorm at UCLA.
10. What does Wooden say that many coaches and players develop during their career?
(a) Bad habits.
(c) Health problems.
(d) Family problems.
11. When Walt Hazzard played in a game, he liked to stand out by doing which of the following?
(a) Scoring the majority of the points.
(b) Making three point shots.
(c) Getting the rebounds.
(d) Fancy dribbling.
12. In what year of Coach Wooden's college coaching experience, did his team win their conference title?
(a) His fifth year.
(b) His third year.
(c) His first year.
(d) His second year.
13. In Chapter 1, who did Coach Wooden remove from the championship game because he was having an off night?
(a) Doug McIntosh.
(b) Fred Slaughter.
(c) Jack Hirsch.
(d) Walt Hazzard.
14. What rank was Coach Wooden called to serve at once he enlisted?
(d) Petty officer.
15. According to Coach Wooden, a true athlete should have what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What became known as Wooden's "good luck piece" during games at Purdue?
2. Where did Coach Wooden meet his future wife, Nellie?
3. What caused Wooden to return to his high-school basketball team after he walked off the team?
4. Where was Wooden's first high-school coaching job?
5. Why did Coach Wooden get upset with his high-school basketball coach, Glenn Curtis?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)