Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Coach Wooden tell Kenny Washington when he catches Kenny crying because he is homesick?
(a) Go call your mom.
(b) Basketball players do not cry.
(c) Shape up or ship out.
(d) It is okay to be homesick.
2. Who did Wooden replace as coach at Indiana State?
(a) Fred Slaughter.
(b) Doug McIntosh.
(c) Kenny Washington.
(d) Glenn Curtis.
3. What did Coach Wooden always carry in his wallet?
(a) A note from his dad.
(b) His player's names.
(d) A picture of his wife.
4. Wooden was told to report to the U.S.S. Franklin in the South Pacific to serve in what position?
(b) Deck hand.
(c) Special operations.
(d) Fitness officer.
5. What does Wooden say that many coaches and players develop during their career?
(a) Bad habits.
(b) Family problems.
(c) Health problems.
6. Before his senior year, who was Wooden recruited by?
(c) University of Indiana.
(d) US Military Academy at West Point.
7. What signal did Coach Wooden give to Nellie before each high-school game?
(a) He blew her a kiss.
(b) He winked at her.
(c) He waved at her.
(d) He gave her the okay sign.
8. According to Coach Wooden, Coach Lambert coached based on what?
(a) The ability of his players.
(b) The plays made by the opposing team.
(c) The playbook provided to him.
(d) The moves he learned as a player.
9. What other sport did high-school player Eddie play that Coach Wooden mistakenly thought was a better fit for him?
10. Who loaned Wooden some money for his wedding?
(a) Nellie's best friend's father.
(b) Nellie's father.
(c) Coach Curtis.
(d) Wooden's father.
11. What took Wooden away from his home in 1943?
(a) An offer to play professional basketball.
(b) A family crisis.
(c) World War II.
(d) Another job.
12. What caused Wooden to return to his high-school basketball team after he walked off the team?
(a) Several conversations with his brother, Cat.
(b) Several conversations with Nellie.
(c) Several conversations with his father.
(d) Several conversations with Coach Curtis.
13. What moment does Coach Wooden refer to as "the peak" of his career?
(a) A conversation he has with Fred Slaughter after a game.
(b) Receiving his job at UCLA.
(c) Watching Walt Hazzard score the winning basket at a champanionship game.
(d) Making it to the NCAA championship game for the first time.
14. What promise did Coach Wooden make to Eddie, a young member of his South Bend team?
(a) To practice his free throws with him everyday.
(b) To remove him from the team if his attitude does not change.
(c) To start him in the next game.
(d) To buy his parents tickets to the game if they go to championships.
15. Coach Wooden's father told his to "drink deeply from good books, especially ..."
(a) His college textbooks.
(b) The bible.
(c) The dictionary,
(d) His basketball play book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides coaching at the high-school level, what class did Coach Wooden teach?
2. Which player did Coach Wooden discover was lacking in confidence?
3. How did Doug McIntosh feel when Coach Wooden pulled him from the championship game?
4. What part-time job did Wooden have when he started college?
5. In Chapter 1, who did Coach Wooden remove from the championship game because he was having an off night?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)