|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Coach Wooden move back to Indiana?
2. In Coach's favorite poem, "They Ask Me Why I Teach," what was the answer to the author's question?
(a) Where else could I influence young people?
(b) Where else could I find more splendid company?
(c) Where else could I spend so much time with children.
(d) Where else could I help children learn?
3. What other sport did high-school player Eddie play that Coach Wooden mistakenly thought was a better fit for him?
4. According to Coach Wooden, Coach Lambert coached based on what?
(a) The playbook provided to him.
(b) The moves he learned as a player.
(c) The ability of his players.
(d) The plays made by the opposing team.
5. During many games, Coach Wooden told Jack Hirsch to stop acting like a what?
6. Where did Coach Wooden spot future guard Gail Goodrich playing basketball?
(a) At another college.
(b) Outside his apartment complex.
(c) At a high-school basketball game.
(d) Outside the dorm at UCLA.
7. What moment does Coach Wooden refer to as "the peak" of his career?
(a) Receiving his job at UCLA.
(b) A conversation he has with Fred Slaughter after a game.
(c) Making it to the NCAA championship game for the first time.
(d) Watching Walt Hazzard score the winning basket at a champanionship game.
8. Who encouraged Coach Wooden to wait until after college to marry Nellie?
(a) His mother.
(b) Nellie's mother.
(c) His coach.
(d) His father.
9. What became known as Wooden's "good luck piece" during games at Purdue?
(a) A necklace from his mother.
(b) Socks with green trim.
(c) A picture of Nellie in his pocket.
(d) A key tied to his shoe.
10. What promise did Coach Wooden make to Eddie, a young member of his South Bend team?
(a) To practice his free throws with him everyday.
(b) To remove him from the team if his attitude does not change.
(c) To start him in the next game.
(d) To buy his parents tickets to the game if they go to championships.
11. Why did Coach Wooden's family move to Martinsville?
(a) Because they lost their farm.
(b) Because Coach Wooden wanted to play at a different high school.
(c) Because Coach Wooden's dad got a new job.
(d) Because they found a bigger farm.
12. What made team forward Keith Erickson very upset during games?
(a) If he didn't get the opportunity to score.
(b) If the referee made a bad call.
(c) If he made a foul.
(d) If Coach Wooden yelled at him.
13. How did Wooden save up money so he and Nellie could get married?
(a) He sold his car.
(b) He played pro basketball.
(c) He took extra shifts waiting tables.
(d) He worked in the athletic department.
14. Why did Wooden stay a coach when he could have earned much more money as a professional player?
(a) He loved the young people he coached.
(b) He was getting too old to play professional basketball.
(c) His wife didn't want him to play professionally.
(d) He didn't get any professional offers.
15. As a child, what did Coach Wooden stuff with rags to make a ball?
(a) His father's old shirt.
(b) Strips of cloth left over from his mom's sewing.
(c) His brother's overalls.
(d) His mother's hosiery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who eventually became principal and superintendent of Martinsville Schools?
2. In Chapter 1, who did Coach Wooden remove from the championship game because he was having an off night?
3. What did Coach Wooden's brother do to him as a child that make him very angry?
4. Who did Wooden replace as coach at Indiana State?
5. Veterans who wanted to go to college after the war could go at the military's expense. This was called the what?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)