|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Nellie and Coach Wooden break up several times during high school?
(a) She wanted to go out dancing and he couldn't.
(b) His friends did not like her.
(c) They argued a lot.
(d) Her father did not like him.
2. What rank was Coach Wooden called to serve at once he enlisted?
(b) Petty officer.
3. What part-time job did Wooden have when he started college?
(a) Waiting tables and washing dishes.
(b) Cooking in a local restaurant.
(c) Working in the college's laundry room.
(d) A groundskeeper.
4. Where would Coach have stayed if it were up to him?
(a) South Bend.
5. How did Wooden lose all the money he had saved?
(a) He loaned it to a friend who never paid him back.
(b) He misplaced it.
(c) His bank defaulted.
(d) It was stolen.
6. Where was freshman player Kenny Washington from?
(c) South Carolina.
(d) New York.
7. What moment does Coach Wooden refer to as "the peak" of his career?
(a) Making it to the NCAA championship game for the first time.
(b) A conversation he has with Fred Slaughter after a game.
(c) Watching Walt Hazzard score the winning basket at a champanionship game.
(d) Receiving his job at UCLA.
8. Besides coaching at the high-school level, what class did Coach Wooden teach?
9. Who was the talented leader of the UCLA team's defense?
(a) Kenny Washington.
(b) Doug McIntosh.
(c) Keith Erickson.
(d) Fred Slaughter.
10. What promise did Coach Wooden make to Eddie, a young member of his South Bend team?
(a) To practice his free throws with him everyday.
(b) To buy his parents tickets to the game if they go to championships.
(c) To start him in the next game.
(d) To remove him from the team if his attitude does not change.
11. After Coach Wooden's first high-school coaching job, where did he move for his second high-school coaching job?
(a) South Bend.
(d) Los Angeles.
12. What made Coach Wooden want to enlist in the military?
(a) Ther Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
(b) His father's legacy.
(c) Nellie's insistence that the pay was good.
(d) He had lost his coaching job.
13. What made team forward Keith Erickson very upset during games?
(a) If he didn't get the opportunity to score.
(b) If he made a foul.
(c) If Coach Wooden yelled at him.
(d) If the referee made a bad call.
14. What did Coach Wooden's brother do to him as a child that make him very angry?
(a) Locked him in the barn.
(b) Punched him in the stomach.
(c) Flipped manure on him.
(d) Pushed him in the pond.
15. Veterans who wanted to go to college after the war could go at the military's expense. This was called the what?
(a) Veteran College Bill.
(b) G.I. Bill
(c) Education for Veterans Bill.
(d) Military College Act.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before his senior year, who was Wooden recruited by?
2. One of Wooden's favorite quotes says, "do not let what you can't do interfere with...?
3. What incident caused Coach Wooden to refer to the coach/player relationship as a father/son relationship?
4. Which player did Coach Wooden discover was lacking in confidence?
5. Who does Coach Wooden refer to as a "team leader"?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)