|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Wooden's first high-school coaching job?
(a) Springfield High School.
(b) Martinsville High School.
(c) Dayton High School.
(d) South Bend High School.
2. Where would Coach have stayed if it were up to him?
(d) South Bend.
3. In Chapter 1, who did Coach Wooden remove from the championship game because he was having an off night?
(a) Doug McIntosh.
(b) Jack Hirsch.
(c) Fred Slaughter.
(d) Walt Hazzard.
4. How did Wooden supplement his income?
(a) By waiting tables on the weekend.
(b) By playing pro basketball on the weekends.
(c) By running basketball training camps in the summer.
(d) By selling sports stories to the local newspaper.
5. What did Coach Wooden tell Kenny Washington when he catches Kenny crying because he is homesick?
(a) It is okay to be homesick.
(b) Shape up or ship out.
(c) Go call your mom.
(d) Basketball players do not cry.
6. At his first high-school coaching job, what was Coach Wooden's salary?
(a) $1,800 per year.
(b) $2,200 per year.
(c) $1,500 per year.
(d) $5,000 per year.
7. Where did Wooden attend college?
(b) Indiana State.
(d) University of Alabama.
8. Coach Wooden's father told his to "drink deeply from good books, especially ..."
(a) His college textbooks.
(b) The bible.
(c) His basketball play book.
(d) The dictionary,
9. Where was Coach Wooden's first college coaching job?
(a) The University of Indiana.
(c) Indiana State University.
(d) The University of Alabama.
10. Why did Coach Wooden's family move to Martinsville?
(a) Because they found a bigger farm.
(b) Because Coach Wooden's dad got a new job.
(c) Because Coach Wooden wanted to play at a different high school.
(d) Because they lost their farm.
11. What signal did Coach Wooden give to Nellie before each high-school game?
(a) He waved at her.
(b) He gave her the okay sign.
(c) He blew her a kiss.
(d) He winked at her.
12. Coach Lambert taught his players movement by design instead of what?
(a) Repeated patterns.
(b) Memorizing moves.
(c) Exact dribbling.
(d) Precise rebounds.
13. Before his senior year, who was Wooden recruited by?
(b) University of Indiana.
(d) US Military Academy at West Point.
14. What made Coach Wooden want to enlist in the military?
(a) Ther Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
(b) Nellie's insistence that the pay was good.
(c) He had lost his coaching job.
(d) His father's legacy.
15. What does Wooden say that many coaches and players develop during their career?
(a) Health problems.
(b) Bad habits.
(d) Family problems.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Nellie and Coach Wooden break up several times during high school?
2. How did Doug McIntosh feel when Coach Wooden pulled him from the championship game?
3. When Coach Wooden describes himself and Nellie, what does he say?
4. Why didn't Wooden go overseas while in the military?
5. What did Coach Wooden always carry in his wallet?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)