|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Coach Wooden's father told his to "drink deeply from good books, especially ..."
(a) The bible.
(b) His basketball play book.
(c) His college textbooks.
(d) The dictionary,
2. In what year did Coach Wooden's UCLA team win the NCAA championship game?
3. Many of the players on Wooden's first college team has also been what?
(a) Players on the college baseball team.
(b) Raised on a farm.
(c) Players on his high-school team.
(d) Married at a young age.
4. Why did Coach Wooden reject an offer to play at the NAIA tournament in Kansas City?
(a) He would not be allowed to bring his whole team.
(b) He would not be allowed to bring a black player.
(c) He would not be allowed to chaperon the team in the dorms.
(d) He would not be allowed to use his own playbook.
5. In what year of Coach Wooden's college coaching experience, did his team win their conference title?
(a) His third year.
(b) His second year.
(c) His fifth year.
(d) His first year.
6. Where did Wooden go the morning after his wedding?
(a) To help his coach recruit new players.
(b) To a basketball clinic.
(c) To look for a job.
(d) To basketball practice.
7. What made Coach Wooden want to enlist in the military?
(a) His father's legacy.
(b) Ther Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
(c) He had lost his coaching job.
(d) Nellie's insistence that the pay was good.
8. When Coach Wooden describes himself and Nellie, what does he say?
(a) She is shy, and he is talkative.
(b) She is loud and he is quiet.
(c) She likes outdoor activities, and he likes to stay inside.
(d) She is full of personality and he is shy.
9. What did Wooden do after the war?
(a) Found a new job at a high school in Georgia.
(b) Returned to his old coaching position in South Bend.
(c) Played for a professional basketball team.
(d) Stayed in the military, training men for battle.
10. What incident caused Coach Wooden to refer to the coach/player relationship as a father/son relationship?
(a) Kicking a player off the team for having a bad attitude.
(b) Watching his team lose the championship game.
(c) Taking an injured player to the hospital.
(d) Pulling a star player out of the championship game.
11. What does Coach Wooden say a coach often feels about his players?
(a) He feels like they are family.
(b) He feels like they are the number one priority.
(c) He feels like they are too time consuming.
(d) He feels like they are prideful.
12. What did Coach Wooden tell Kenny Washington when he catches Kenny crying because he is homesick?
(a) Go call your mom.
(b) It is okay to be homesick.
(c) Basketball players do not cry.
(d) Shape up or ship out.
13. How did Wooden feel about money as a high-school student?
(a) He was mad because he had to give it all to his father.
(b) He worked hard for it and managed it well.
(c) He did not have money in high school.
(d) He spent everything he made.
14. What does Wooden say that many coaches and players develop during their career?
(a) Family problems.
(b) Health problems.
(d) Bad habits.
15. What made team forward Keith Erickson very upset during games?
(a) If the referee made a bad call.
(b) If he made a foul.
(c) If he didn't get the opportunity to score.
(d) If Coach Wooden yelled at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Veterans who wanted to go to college after the war could go at the military's expense. This was called the what?
2. Why didn't Wooden go overseas while in the military?
3. How did Nellie and Wooden celebrate after their wedding ceremony?
4. At his first high-school coaching job, what was Coach Wooden's salary?
5. What other sport did Fred Slaughter play at UCLA?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)