|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before his senior year, who was Wooden recruited by?
(a) University of Indiana.
(d) US Military Academy at West Point.
2. What other sport did high-school player Eddie play that Coach Wooden mistakenly thought was a better fit for him?
3. What did Wooden do after the war?
(a) Found a new job at a high school in Georgia.
(b) Played for a professional basketball team.
(c) Stayed in the military, training men for battle.
(d) Returned to his old coaching position in South Bend.
4. What became known as Wooden's "good luck piece" during games at Purdue?
(a) A key tied to his shoe.
(b) A picture of Nellie in his pocket.
(c) Socks with green trim.
(d) A necklace from his mother.
5. What took Wooden away from his home in 1943?
(a) World War II.
(b) An offer to play professional basketball.
(c) Another job.
(d) A family crisis.
6. At his first high-school coaching job, what was Coach Wooden's salary?
(a) $1,500 per year.
(b) $1,800 per year.
(c) $5,000 per year.
(d) $2,200 per year.
7. Where was freshman player Kenny Washington from?
(a) New York.
(c) South Carolina.
8. In what year did the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor, drawing the US into World War II?
9. What signal did Coach Wooden give to Nellie before each game when he was a coach?
(a) He winked at her.
(b) He whistled at her.
(c) He introduced her to the crowd.
(d) He waved at her with his rolled up program.
10. Why did Wooden stay a coach when he could have earned much more money as a professional player?
(a) His wife didn't want him to play professionally.
(b) He loved the young people he coached.
(c) He didn't get any professional offers.
(d) He was getting too old to play professional basketball.
11. When the Wooden family moved to Martinsville, what did Coach Wooden's father do for a living?
(a) He taught at Coach's school.
(b) He gave massages.
(c) He worked at a restaurant.
(d) He was a farmer.
12. Who does Coach Wooden refer to as a "team leader"?
(a) Fred Slaughter.
(b) Gail Goodrich.
(c) Willie Haulls.
(d) Walt Hazzard.
13. One of Wooden's favorite quotes says, "do not let what you can't do interfere with...?
(a) Your God-given talent.
(b) Your natural abilities.
(c) What you won't do.
(d) What you can do.
14. According to Coach Wooden, Coach Lambert coached based on what?
(a) The moves he learned as a player.
(b) The plays made by the opposing team.
(c) The playbook provided to him.
(d) The ability of his players.
15. Coach Wooden's father told his to "drink deeply from good books, especially ..."
(a) The bible.
(b) His basketball play book.
(c) His college textbooks.
(d) The dictionary,
Short Answer Questions
1. Who loaned Wooden some money for his wedding?
2. Doug McIntosh was at UCLA on a make good scholarship. What does this mean?
3. As a child, what did Coach Wooden stuff with rags to make a ball?
4. What made Coach Wooden want to enlist in the military?
5. Where would Coach have stayed if it were up to him?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)