|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Coach Wooden refer to as a "team leader"?
(a) Willie Haulls.
(b) Fred Slaughter.
(c) Gail Goodrich.
(d) Walt Hazzard.
2. In what year did the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor, drawing the US into World War II?
3. Coach Wooden's father told his to "drink deeply from good books, especially ..."
(a) His college textbooks.
(b) His basketball play book.
(c) The bible.
(d) The dictionary,
4. Who did Wooden replace as coach at Indiana State?
(a) Fred Slaughter.
(b) Kenny Washington.
(c) Doug McIntosh.
(d) Glenn Curtis.
5. In what year did Wooden start college?
6. Where was Coach Wooden's first college coaching job?
(a) The University of Alabama.
(b) Indiana State University.
(d) The University of Indiana.
7. What took Wooden away from his home in 1943?
(a) Another job.
(b) World War II.
(c) A family crisis.
(d) An offer to play professional basketball.
8. As a child, what did Coach Wooden stuff with rags to make a ball?
(a) His brother's overalls.
(b) His father's old shirt.
(c) His mother's hosiery.
(d) Strips of cloth left over from his mom's sewing.
9. Coach Lambert also taught Coach Wooden to play his own game and let the opponents what?
(b) Worry about your next move.
(d) Figure it out.
10. What made Coach Wooden want to enlist in the military?
(a) Ther Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
(b) Nellie's insistence that the pay was good.
(c) He had lost his coaching job.
(d) His father's legacy.
11. Why did Nellie and Coach Wooden break up several times during high school?
(a) Her father did not like him.
(b) She wanted to go out dancing and he couldn't.
(c) They argued a lot.
(d) His friends did not like her.
12. What promise did Coach Wooden make to Eddie, a young member of his South Bend team?
(a) To remove him from the team if his attitude does not change.
(b) To practice his free throws with him everyday.
(c) To start him in the next game.
(d) To buy his parents tickets to the game if they go to championships.
13. What caused Wooden to return to his high-school basketball team after he walked off the team?
(a) Several conversations with his brother, Cat.
(b) Several conversations with his father.
(c) Several conversations with Coach Curtis.
(d) Several conversations with Nellie.
14. How did Doug McIntosh feel when Coach Wooden pulled him from the championship game?
(a) He was mad at his fellow teammates.
(b) He was angry because he didn't get to play.
(c) He was depressed because his family came to watch him.
(d) He was happy because the team won.
15. Where was freshman player Kenny Washington from?
(a) New York.
(b) South Carolina.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Wooden stay a coach when he could have earned much more money as a professional player?
2. Where would Coach have stayed if it were up to him?
3. Who encouraged Coach Wooden to wait until after college to marry Nellie?
4. When the Wooden family moved to Martinsville, what did Coach Wooden's father do for a living?
5. Why did Coach Wooden remove Walt Hazzard from several games?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)