|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor prescribe for Claire?
2. What does Tom do when Claire tries to embrace him?
3. Who first joins Claire and Tom in the tower room after she goes back upstairs?
4. What is the first character onstage in Act 2 doing?
5. Who does Claire beg to take her away from the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given Claire's disdain for traditional womanly roles such as being a good wife, a loving mother, or a proper hostess, what values might she admire in a woman and aspire to for herself? How do these values uphold the general tone of the play in which Claire's unrest represents the struggles of women in the early days of the Women's Movement?
Essay Topic 2
How are light and sound used to forward the plot and atmosphere of "The Verge"?
Essay Topic 3
What Victorian values are represented by Harry and Adelaide in the play? Why are these values so distasteful to Claire?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)