|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire ask Harry to do when she goes downstairs?
2. Who calls Claire unnatural?
3. Harry is aware of an attraction between Claire and which character?
4. What is the setting of Act 2?
5. What does Claire tell Tom regarding "The Breath of Life?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who or what is the main antagonist in the play? Does the protagonist overcome the antagonist?
Essay Topic 2
The playwright plays with names in many ways, from naming Claire's love interests as "Tom, Dick, and Harry," to naming the two significant vines in the greenhouse, and even to Tom's last name, "Edgeworthy." Discuss how these name choices serve to reinforce the author's characterizations and symbolism.
Essay Topic 3
How are light and sound used to forward the plot and atmosphere of "The Verge"?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)