|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters join the first character early in Act 2?
2. What is the foundation of Claire's emotional state?
3. Which is the best description of Dick?
4. Which two characters embrace at the end of Act 2?
5. What does Claire ask Harry to do when she goes downstairs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The playwright plays with names in many ways, from naming Claire's love interests as "Tom, Dick, and Harry," to naming the two significant vines in the greenhouse, and even to Tom's last name, "Edgeworthy." Discuss how these name choices serve to reinforce the author's characterizations and symbolism.
Essay Topic 2
During the play and in her past, Claire has broken several of the Ten Commandments. And yet, at one point she asks Tom to say something pleasant about God, and at the end of the play she sings hymns. What do these contradictory behaviors reveal about Claire and about the playwright's attitude toward Claire's struggle?
Essay Topic 3
What Victorian values are represented by Harry and Adelaide in the play? Why are these values so distasteful to Claire?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)