|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which man loves Claire for her exterior self?
2. Why does a character apologize to Tom?
3. During the embrace, what complaint does one character make about the others who have left the room?
4. Harry is aware of an attraction between Claire and which character?
5. What is the foundation of Claire's emotional state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given Claire's disdain for traditional womanly roles such as being a good wife, a loving mother, or a proper hostess, what values might she admire in a woman and aspire to for herself? How do these values uphold the general tone of the play in which Claire's unrest represents the struggles of women in the early days of the Women's Movement?
Essay Topic 2
Research and discuss the historical context of this play. What rights were denied to women at the time, and what rights or choices did some women of the time seek to gain?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Glaspell introduce several of the characters via an unusual and convoluted breakfast scene, featuring confusion about salt and pepper, a gun, Claire's inability to express herself, and a dropped egg?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)