|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Claire beg to take her away from the house?
2. Why is the setting in Act 2's symbolism ironic?
3. Why does Claire make the request of Harry?
4. How does Claire respond to Adelaide's accusations?
5. When Claire and Tom are alone in the tower, what does Claire admit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who or what is the main antagonist in the play? Does the protagonist overcome the antagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the professions of the main male characters reflect or amplify their general personalities. Is it significant that Claire's liaisons outside of marriage are with artistic types?
Essay Topic 3
The playwright plays with names in many ways, from naming Claire's love interests as "Tom, Dick, and Harry," to naming the two significant vines in the greenhouse, and even to Tom's last name, "Edgeworthy." Discuss how these name choices serve to reinforce the author's characterizations and symbolism.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)