|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adelaide has no time to do what?
2. Which character says he or she is perfectly happy with the role society has dictated?
3. What does Harry realize after Claire begs another character to take her away?
4. Who will be a guest at dinner?
5. Who calls Claire unnatural?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Given Claire's disdain for traditional womanly roles such as being a good wife, a loving mother, or a proper hostess, what values might she admire in a woman and aspire to for herself? How do these values uphold the general tone of the play in which Claire's unrest represents the struggles of women in the early days of the Women's Movement?
Essay Topic 2Susan Glaspell would have been a contemporary of Claire's. For what possible reason or reasons did the playwright choose madness as the means for Claire to find freedom and peace?
Essay Topic 3What is the primary theme of the play? How is the theme supported by setting and plot?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)