|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the embrace, what does one character ask the other to do?
2. Who does Claire beg to take her away from the house?
3. What is the first character onstage in Act 2 doing?
4. During the embrace, what complaint does one character make about the others who have left the room?
5. Which character's behavior represents the unrest of many women in the U.S. as the Women's Rights Movement begins to take root?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the play titled, "The Verge"? The main characters are on the verge of what? The greenhouse plants are on the verge of what? Society is on the verge of what?
Essay Topic 2
The playwright plays with names in many ways, from naming Claire's love interests as "Tom, Dick, and Harry," to naming the two significant vines in the greenhouse, and even to Tom's last name, "Edgeworthy." Discuss how these name choices serve to reinforce the author's characterizations and symbolism.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Claire prefer her greenhouse plants to grow wild and untamed? Does this mesh with the extreme care she takes to protect the plants from nature? How do these answers support the theme of the play?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)