|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Adelaide have?
2. Who calls to Tom for help through the tower window?
3. Who calls Claire unnatural?
4. What is Claire's opinion regarding typical female roles?
5. Who suggests that everyone should go downstairs to dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the playwright use sound to illustrate Claire's need to find meaning in her life at the expense of others? Consider the wind, the buzzer, and the Victrola as examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of heat in this play as it relates to love, comfort, and survival. Why is it significant that Claire diverts the heat from her family home to the greenhouse? Why is it significant that a snowstorm rages outdoors, visible through the greenhouse windows?
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary theme of the play? How is the theme supported by setting and plot?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)