|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the best description of the doctor?
2. What is the relationship between Claire and Adelaide?
3. What does Harry realize after Claire begs another character to take her away?
4. What is the foundation of Claire's emotional state?
5. Which character practices meditation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the professions of the main male characters reflect or amplify their general personalities. Is it significant that Claire's liaisons outside of marriage are with artistic types?
Essay Topic 2
During the play and in her past, Claire has broken several of the Ten Commandments. And yet, at one point she asks Tom to say something pleasant about God, and at the end of the play she sings hymns. What do these contradictory behaviors reveal about Claire and about the playwright's attitude toward Claire's struggle?
Essay Topic 3
How does the playwright use sound to illustrate Claire's need to find meaning in her life at the expense of others? Consider the wind, the buzzer, and the Victrola as examples.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)