|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the setting in Act 2's symbolism ironic?
2. Why does Claire make the request of Harry?
3. What is the doctor's last name?
4. What does the doctor prescribe for Claire?
5. Which character's behavior represents the unrest of many women in the U.S. as the Women's Rights Movement begins to take root?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are light and sound used to forward the plot and atmosphere of "The Verge"?
Essay Topic 2
Who or what is the main antagonist in the play? Does the protagonist overcome the antagonist?
Essay Topic 3
The playwright plays with names in many ways, from naming Claire's love interests as "Tom, Dick, and Harry," to naming the two significant vines in the greenhouse, and even to Tom's last name, "Edgeworthy." Discuss how these name choices serve to reinforce the author's characterizations and symbolism.
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)