|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Claire unable to explain regarding her experiment?
2. What does Tom say regarding what Claire has admitted?
3. What is the relationship between Elizabeth and Adelaide?
4. Who apologizes to Tom in Act 2?
5. How does Claire respond to Adelaide's accusations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Claire's relationships with Tom, Dick, and Harry -- the three men in the play with whom she has been intimate. Is it significant that Anthony, who remains loyal to Claire no matter what, is not a love interest?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Claire so unwilling or unable to show love to her daughter, Elizabeth? Do you believe Elizabeth was raised by Adelaide because there was too much tension between Claire and Elizabeth, or is there tension between Claire and Elizabeth because Elizabeth was raised by Adelaide?
Essay Topic 3
How does the playwright use sound to illustrate Claire's need to find meaning in her life at the expense of others? Consider the wind, the buzzer, and the Victrola as examples.
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)