|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Act 2?
2. What does Tom say will happen to communication between himself and Claire?
3. Which character's behavior represents the unrest of many women in the U.S. as the Women's Rights Movement begins to take root?
4. What is the first character onstage in Act 2 doing?
5. During the embrace, what does one character ask the other to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Claire, a clear failure as a wife and mother, a suitable role model for women of the time period? Why does the playwright choose to make her protagonist act so coldly toward her family?
Essay Topic 2
Susan Glaspell would have been a contemporary of Claire's. For what possible reason or reasons did the playwright choose madness as the means for Claire to find freedom and peace?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the play titled, "The Verge"? The main characters are on the verge of what? The greenhouse plants are on the verge of what? Society is on the verge of what?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)