|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tom intend to go?
2. What are Anthony's specific instructions?
3. How does Anthony try to distract Claire from worrying about the plant that is not thriving?
4. What does Claire say after Elizabeth exits?
5. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Harry leaves to smoke, what does Tom confide to Dick?
2. What is the profession of Claire's lover, Dick? How is his profession indicative of his character?
3. What does Claire say to Tom at the end of Act 1?
4. What does Anthony offer to do when he sees that Claire has strangled Tom?
5. Describe what the audience hears when the curtain first opens in Act 1.
6. After some order has been restored in the greenhouse, Anthony remind everyone it is time to do what?
7. When Tom realizes the greenhouse door is locked, what does he do?
8. What are the names and conditions of the two special plants in the greenhouse?
9. Regarding Claire's two lovers, what action does she take when she enters the greenhouse?
10. What is Anthony doing when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Claire's relationships with Tom, Dick, and Harry -- the three men in the play with whom she has been intimate. Is it significant that Anthony, who remains loyal to Claire no matter what, is not a love interest?
Essay Topic 2
Research and discuss the historical context of this play. What rights were denied to women at the time, and what rights or choices did some women of the time seek to gain?
Essay Topic 3
How does the playwright use sound to illustrate Claire's need to find meaning in her life at the expense of others? Consider the wind, the buzzer, and the Victrola as examples.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)