|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
2. Which is the best description of Claire and Elizabeth's reunion?
3. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
4. Harry and the first house guest have a discussion about what?
5. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens after Dick asks Claire about her plants.
2. When Claire and Tom are alone with "The Breath of Life," what offer does he make to her?
3. Following Tom's rejection of her advances in the tower room, what does Claire do?
4. How does Anthony respond to Hattie's information?
5. Claire's internal struggle indicates her desire for what?
6. Why is Claire angry about Tom's declaration?
7. What is Dr. Emmons' diagnosis and recommendation regarding Claire?
8. What is the profession of Claire's lover, Tom? How is his profession indicative of his character?
9. What character is onstage alone at the beginning of Act 2, and which two characters join the first character?
10. Why is Harry angry the first time he appears onstage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the primary theme of the play? How is the theme supported by setting and plot?
Essay Topic 2
Who or what is the main antagonist in the play? Does the protagonist overcome the antagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Glaspell introduce several of the characters via an unusual and convoluted breakfast scene, featuring confusion about salt and pepper, a gun, Claire's inability to express herself, and a dropped egg?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)