|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the audience sees in Act 1?
2. Who is the only character onstage when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
3. What is the special plant about to do?
4. Why does Claire caution Tom to be careful?
5. Which is the best description of Anthony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Anthony explains to Harry that Claire gave him what two orders?
2. What is the profession of Claire's lover, Dick? How is his profession indicative of his character?
3. At the beginning of Act 3, what does Hattie urgently tell Anthony?
4. Why is Harry angry the first time he appears onstage?
5. How does Harry react to Claire's actions, yelling to Tom for rescue?
6. What does Harry realize when Claire runs to Dick?
7. Claire agrees to unlock the door for Tom under what condition?
8. Adelaide says that she goes about in the world, free, busy, and happy, because among people she has no time to think of herself. Why is this statement distasteful to Claire?
9. Claire's internal struggle indicates her desire for what?
10. What do Claire and Tom discuss regarding "The Breath of Life"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and discuss the historical context of this play. What rights were denied to women at the time, and what rights or choices did some women of the time seek to gain?
Essay Topic 2
Susan Glaspell would have been a contemporary of Claire's. For what possible reason or reasons did the playwright choose madness as the means for Claire to find freedom and peace?
Essay Topic 3
How are light and sound used to forward the plot and atmosphere of "The Verge"?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)