|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
2. What is the first sound the audience hears in Act 1?
3. Which best describes the number of plants in the greenhouse?
4. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
5. What is Elizabeth's philosophy regarding new plant varieties?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom want to tell Claire early in Act 3?
2. Following the exchanges between Claire, Adelaide, and Harry, what does Claire do and how do other characters respond?
3. What does Harry tell Claire he plans to do regarding her mental health?
4. At the end of Act 2, what does Claire ask of Dick while they embrace?
5. Why does Claire ask Anthony to view the plant first?
6. Which character responds to the code-like buzzer, and what does that character do?
7. Why is Claire angry about Tom's declaration?
8. Claire's internal struggle indicates her desire for what?
9. After Harry leaves to smoke, what does Tom confide to Dick?
10. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth due to her attitude toward the plants, what does Claire do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Claire, a clear failure as a wife and mother, a suitable role model for women of the time period? Why does the playwright choose to make her protagonist act so coldly toward her family?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the play titled, "The Verge"? The main characters are on the verge of what? The greenhouse plants are on the verge of what? Society is on the verge of what?
Essay Topic 3
What Victorian values are represented by Harry and Adelaide in the play? Why are these values so distasteful to Claire?
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)