|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claire caution Tom to be careful?
2. Who tries to get Claire to come to the phone upon Elizabeth's arrival?
3. What are Anthony's specific instructions?
4. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
5. What does the blizzard symbolize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harry tell Claire he plans to do regarding her mental health?
2. Following Tom's rejection of her advances in the tower room, what does Claire do?
3. How does Claire respond to Adelaide's criticisms?
4. What character is onstage alone at the beginning of Act 2, and which two characters join the first character?
5. What is the symbolism of the tower room?
6. What does Harry confide to Tom and Dick, and what response does he receive?
7. When Tom realizes the greenhouse door is locked, what does he do?
8. What is the symbolic meaning of "The Breath of Life" in this play?
9. After some order has been restored in the greenhouse, Anthony remind everyone it is time to do what?
10. Who is the first house guest to enter the greenhouse, and what is his first topic of conversation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Claire, a clear failure as a wife and mother, a suitable role model for women of the time period? Why does the playwright choose to make her protagonist act so coldly toward her family?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Claire so unwilling or unable to show love to her daughter, Elizabeth? Do you believe Elizabeth was raised by Adelaide because there was too much tension between Claire and Elizabeth, or is there tension between Claire and Elizabeth because Elizabeth was raised by Adelaide?
Essay Topic 3
Who or what is the main antagonist in the play? Does the protagonist overcome the antagonist?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)