|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does the beam of light originate?
2. What does Harry confide to the first house guest?
3. Who is the only character onstage when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
4. In the second part of Act 1, who enters after Harry exits?
5. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harry tell Claire he plans to do regarding her mental health?
2. When Tom realizes the greenhouse door is locked, what does he do?
3. What is Dr. Emmons' diagnosis and recommendation regarding Claire?
4. What does Anthony offer to do when he sees that Claire has strangled Tom?
5. Describe the setting of Act 2.
6. At the end of the play, Claire has lapsed into madness. Why does the playwright choose to end with Claire singing the verses to a religious hymn?
7. What is the profession of Claire's lover, Dick? How is his profession indicative of his character?
8. At the end of Act 2, what does Claire ask of Dick while they embrace?
9. Adelaide says that she goes about in the world, free, busy, and happy, because among people she has no time to think of herself. Why is this statement distasteful to Claire?
10. What is the significance of the names of the three men in this play who have been Claire's love interests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Claire, a clear failure as a wife and mother, a suitable role model for women of the time period? Why does the playwright choose to make her protagonist act so coldly toward her family?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Claire so unwilling or unable to show love to her daughter, Elizabeth? Do you believe Elizabeth was raised by Adelaide because there was too much tension between Claire and Elizabeth, or is there tension between Claire and Elizabeth because Elizabeth was raised by Adelaide?
Essay Topic 3
Susan Glaspell would have been a contemporary of Claire's. For what possible reason or reasons did the playwright choose madness as the means for Claire to find freedom and peace?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)