|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which plant is not thriving?
2. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
3. What does the second house guest do when he sees that no one can help him enter the greenhouse?
4. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
5. Claire tries to strike Elizabeth with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harry realize when Claire runs to Dick?
2. What does Harry tell Claire he plans to do regarding her mental health?
3. Describe what the audience sees when the curtain first opens in Act 1.
4. What is the symbolism of the tower room?
5. Following Tom's rejection of her advances in the tower room, what does Claire do?
6. What is the significance of the names of the three men in this play who have been Claire's love interests?
7. What is Anthony doing when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
8. What does Harry realize when he sees that Claire has strangled Tom?
9. Why is Claire frustrated by her inability to explain the importance of her plants?
10. How does Claire respond to Adelaide's criticisms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the play titled, "The Verge"? The main characters are on the verge of what? The greenhouse plants are on the verge of what? Society is on the verge of what?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Glaspell introduce several of the characters via an unusual and convoluted breakfast scene, featuring confusion about salt and pepper, a gun, Claire's inability to express herself, and a dropped egg?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Claire so unwilling or unable to show love to her daughter, Elizabeth? Do you believe Elizabeth was raised by Adelaide because there was too much tension between Claire and Elizabeth, or is there tension between Claire and Elizabeth because Elizabeth was raised by Adelaide?
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)