|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry confide to the two house guests after Claire exits?
2. From where does the beam of light originate?
3. What does Claire try to explain to the men over breakfast?
4. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
5. What are Anthony's specific instructions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following Tom's rejection of her advances in the tower room, what does Claire do?
2. What is the significance of the names of the three men in this play who have been Claire's love interests?
3. Claire agrees to unlock the door for Tom under what condition?
4. At the end of the play, Claire has lapsed into madness. Why does the playwright choose to end with Claire singing the verses to a religious hymn?
5. What is Dr. Emmons' diagnosis and recommendation regarding Claire?
6. How does Tom respond to Claire's request in order for the door to be unlocked?
7. What does Harry tell Claire he plans to do regarding her mental health?
8. What is the symbolic meaning of "The Breath of Life" in this play?
9. Describe what happens after Dick asks Claire about her plants.
10. How does Anthony respond to Hattie's information?
Essay Topic 1
How do Claire's plants illustrate her emotional state and the dissatisfaction of some women during the era of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Is Claire, a clear failure as a wife and mother, a suitable role model for women of the time period? Why does the playwright choose to make her protagonist act so coldly toward her family?
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary theme of the play? How is the theme supported by setting and plot?
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)