|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does the beam of light originate?
2. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
3. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
4. What is the relationship between Harry and Claire?
5. What is the first thing the audience sees in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harry react to Claire's actions, yelling to Tom for rescue?
2. What is the significance of the names of the three men in this play who have been Claire's love interests?
3. What does Claire say to Tom at the end of Act 1?
4. Who is the first house guest to enter the greenhouse, and what is his first topic of conversation?
5. Describe the reaction of Claire when Anthony brings the blooming plant into the room, as contrasted with the reactions of the men?
6. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth due to her attitude toward the plants, what does Claire do?
7. Claire's internal struggle indicates her desire for what?
8. What does Harry realize when Claire runs to Dick?
9. When the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1, what is the setting?
10. When Tom realizes the greenhouse door is locked, what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Claire prefer her greenhouse plants to grow wild and untamed? Does this mesh with the extreme care she takes to protect the plants from nature? How do these answers support the theme of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Is Claire, a clear failure as a wife and mother, a suitable role model for women of the time period? Why does the playwright choose to make her protagonist act so coldly toward her family?
Essay Topic 3
What Victorian values are represented by Harry and Adelaide in the play? Why are these values so distasteful to Claire?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)