|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Anthony answer the buzz from Harry?
2. What is the relationship between Harry and Claire?
3. What does Harry confide to the first house guest?
4. What does Harry help Hattie to do when he returns during the second part of Act 1?
5. Why does Claire caution Tom to be careful?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Claire and Tom are alone in the tower room, what does Claire admit to Tom, and what is his response?
2. What does Harry confide to Tom and Dick, and what response does he receive?
3. After Harry leaves to smoke, what does Tom confide to Dick?
4. What is the profession of Claire's husband, Harry? How is his profession indicative of his character?
5. Who is the first house guest to enter the greenhouse, and what is his first topic of conversation?
6. When Tom realizes the greenhouse door is locked, what does he do?
7. What is the significance of the plant being called "The Breath of Life," and what is the symbolic importance of the act of blooming?
8. Describe what happens after Dick asks Claire about her plants.
9. How does Anthony respond to Hattie's information?
10. Describe the attitudes of Claire and Elizabeth when they first meet face to face in Act 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Claire's husband, Harry, seems to find insight into Claire's needs and motivations only after he sees that she has strangled Tom. Why did this murderous action prompt understanding when her work with the plants did not?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Claire so unwilling or unable to show love to her daughter, Elizabeth? Do you believe Elizabeth was raised by Adelaide because there was too much tension between Claire and Elizabeth, or is there tension between Claire and Elizabeth because Elizabeth was raised by Adelaide?
Essay Topic 3
How do Claire's plants illustrate her emotional state and the dissatisfaction of some women during the era of the play?
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)