|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Harry and the first house guest have a discussion about what?
2. What is the special plant about to do?
3. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
4. Who tries to get Claire to come to the phone upon Elizabeth's arrival?
5. What are Anthony's specific instructions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harry react to Claire's actions, yelling to Tom for rescue?
2. After being rejected by Tom and hearing the doctor's diagnosis, who does Claire turn to next for comfort?
3. What is the significance of the plant being called "The Breath of Life," and what is the symbolic importance of the act of blooming?
4. What is Anthony doing when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
5. What is the profession of Claire's lover, Tom? How is his profession indicative of his character?
6. When Tom realizes the greenhouse door is locked, what does he do?
7. At the end of Act 2, what does Claire ask of Dick while they embrace?
8. Which character responds to the code-like buzzer, and what does that character do?
9. After Harry leaves to smoke, what does Tom confide to Dick?
10. Describe the attitudes of Claire and Elizabeth when they first meet face to face in Act 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What Victorian values are represented by Harry and Adelaide in the play? Why are these values so distasteful to Claire?
Essay Topic 2
How are light and sound used to forward the plot and atmosphere of "The Verge"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the professions of the main male characters reflect or amplify their general personalities. Is it significant that Claire's liaisons outside of marriage are with artistic types?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)