|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who worries that the cold weather will have adverse effects on the plants?
2. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
3. Who brings Elizabeth to the greenhouse?
4. From where does the beam of light originate?
5. Who tries to get Claire to come to the phone upon Elizabeth's arrival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the profession of Claire's husband, Harry? How is his profession indicative of his character?
2. Describe the attitudes of Claire and Elizabeth when they first meet face to face in Act 1.
3. What is the symbolism of the tower room?
4. Following the exchanges between Claire, Adelaide, and Harry, what does Claire do and how do other characters respond?
5. Claire's internal struggle indicates her desire for what?
6. Describe what happens after Dick asks Claire about her plants.
7. How does Anthony respond to Hattie's information?
8. How does Claire respond to Adelaide's criticisms?
9. What is the profession of Claire's lover, Dick? How is his profession indicative of his character?
10. When Claire and Tom are alone with "The Breath of Life," what offer does he make to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Susan Glaspell would have been a contemporary of Claire's. For what possible reason or reasons did the playwright choose madness as the means for Claire to find freedom and peace?
Essay Topic 2
How are light and sound used to forward the plot and atmosphere of "The Verge"?
Essay Topic 3
How does the playwright use sound to illustrate Claire's need to find meaning in her life at the expense of others? Consider the wind, the buzzer, and the Victrola as examples.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)