|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the second house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
2. What does the second house guest have in his hand when he first arrives?
3. Why does Claire caution Tom to be careful?
4. Harry and the first house guest have a discussion about what?
5. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth due to her attitude toward the plants, what does Claire do?
2. What does Harry tell Claire he plans to do regarding her mental health?
3. Describe the setting of Act 2.
4. Claire's internal struggle indicates her desire for what?
5. How does Claire respond to Adelaide's criticisms?
6. What does Harry confide to Tom and Dick, and what response does he receive?
7. Describe what the audience sees when the curtain first opens in Act 1.
8. Describe what the audience hears when the curtain first opens in Act 1.
9. When Claire and Tom are alone with "The Breath of Life," what offer does he make to her?
10. Adelaide says that she goes about in the world, free, busy, and happy, because among people she has no time to think of herself. Why is this statement distasteful to Claire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and discuss the historical context of this play. What rights were denied to women at the time, and what rights or choices did some women of the time seek to gain?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of heat in this play as it relates to love, comfort, and survival. Why is it significant that Claire diverts the heat from her family home to the greenhouse? Why is it significant that a snowstorm rages outdoors, visible through the greenhouse windows?
Essay Topic 3
Who or what is the main antagonist in the play? Does the protagonist overcome the antagonist?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)