|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the special plant about to do?
2. Who requested that breakfast be served in the greenhouse?
3. Who is the first character to come onstage in Act 1?
4. What does the blizzard symbolize?
5. What is the relationship between Harry and Claire?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the play, Claire has lapsed into madness. Why does the playwright choose to end with Claire singing the verses to a religious hymn?
2. What is Anthony doing when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
3. What does Claire repeatedly try to explain to everyone regarding her plants?
4. When the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1, what is the setting?
5. When Tom realizes the greenhouse door is locked, what does he do?
6. When Claire and Tom are alone in the tower room, what does Claire admit to Tom, and what is his response?
7. Why is Claire angry about Tom's declaration?
8. At the beginning of Act 3, what does Hattie urgently tell Anthony?
9. Anthony explains to Harry that Claire gave him what two orders?
10. How does Harry react to Claire's actions, yelling to Tom for rescue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of heat in this play as it relates to love, comfort, and survival. Why is it significant that Claire diverts the heat from her family home to the greenhouse? Why is it significant that a snowstorm rages outdoors, visible through the greenhouse windows?
Essay Topic 2
Given Claire's disdain for traditional womanly roles such as being a good wife, a loving mother, or a proper hostess, what values might she admire in a woman and aspire to for herself? How do these values uphold the general tone of the play in which Claire's unrest represents the struggles of women in the early days of the Women's Movement?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Claire so unwilling or unable to show love to her daughter, Elizabeth? Do you believe Elizabeth was raised by Adelaide because there was too much tension between Claire and Elizabeth, or is there tension between Claire and Elizabeth because Elizabeth was raised by Adelaide?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)