|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
2. What are Anthony's specific instructions?
3. Which best describes the number of plants in the greenhouse?
4. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
5. What is the first sound the audience hears in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Claire and Tom are alone with "The Breath of Life," what offer does he make to her?
2. What does Anthony offer to do when he sees that Claire has strangled Tom?
3. What is the symbolism of the tower room?
4. What is the profession of Claire's lover, Tom? How is his profession indicative of his character?
5. What does Claire do as a result of her anger and disillusionment with Tom?
6. Describe the reaction of Claire when Anthony brings the blooming plant into the room, as contrasted with the reactions of the men?
7. Why is Harry angry the first time he appears onstage?
8. Describe what the audience sees when the curtain first opens in Act 1.
9. Why is Claire unhappy, even though "The Breath of Life" bloomed beautifully?
10. What does Harry realize when he sees that Claire has strangled Tom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Claire, a clear failure as a wife and mother, a suitable role model for women of the time period? Why does the playwright choose to make her protagonist act so coldly toward her family?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the play titled, "The Verge"? The main characters are on the verge of what? The greenhouse plants are on the verge of what? Society is on the verge of what?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the professions of the main male characters reflect or amplify their general personalities. Is it significant that Claire's liaisons outside of marriage are with artistic types?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)