|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire push off the table?
2. Who worries that the cold weather will have adverse effects on the plants?
3. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
4. Who brings Elizabeth to the greenhouse?
5. Which best describes the number of plants in the greenhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claire say to Tom at the end of Act 1?
2. Following Tom's rejection of her advances in the tower room, what does Claire do?
3. What is the symbolic meaning of "The Breath of Life" in this play?
4. Which character responds to the code-like buzzer, and what does that character do?
5. What is the profession of Claire's husband, Harry? How is his profession indicative of his character?
6. Describe the attitudes of Claire and Elizabeth when they first meet face to face in Act 1.
7. What is Anthony doing when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
8. What does Anthony offer to do when he sees that Claire has strangled Tom?
9. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth due to her attitude toward the plants, what does Claire do?
10. After being rejected by Tom and hearing the doctor's diagnosis, who does Claire turn to next for comfort?
Essay Topic 1
Why is the play titled, "The Verge"? The main characters are on the verge of what? The greenhouse plants are on the verge of what? Society is on the verge of what?
Essay Topic 2
What is the primary theme of the play? How is the theme supported by setting and plot?
Essay Topic 3
How does the playwright use sound to illustrate Claire's need to find meaning in her life at the expense of others? Consider the wind, the buzzer, and the Victrola as examples.
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)