|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rescues Elizabeth from being struck?
2. What does Harry help Hattie to do when he returns during the second part of Act 1?
3. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
4. Why can't the second house guest enter the greenhouse?
5. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anthony upset when Dick rushes into the greenhouse for shelter?
2. Claire agrees to unlock the door for Tom under what condition?
3. Why does Claire ask Anthony to view the plant first?
4. What does Tom want to tell Claire early in Act 3?
5. What does Claire repeatedly try to explain to everyone regarding her plants?
6. Describe what happens after Dick asks Claire about her plants.
7. When Tom realizes the greenhouse door is locked, what does he do?
8. After some order has been restored in the greenhouse, Anthony remind everyone it is time to do what?
9. What are the names and conditions of the two special plants in the greenhouse?
10. What does Anthony offer to do when he sees that Claire has strangled Tom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Claire prefer her greenhouse plants to grow wild and untamed? Does this mesh with the extreme care she takes to protect the plants from nature? How do these answers support the theme of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Claire so unwilling or unable to show love to her daughter, Elizabeth? Do you believe Elizabeth was raised by Adelaide because there was too much tension between Claire and Elizabeth, or is there tension between Claire and Elizabeth because Elizabeth was raised by Adelaide?
Essay Topic 3
During the play and in her past, Claire has broken several of the Ten Commandments. And yet, at one point she asks Tom to say something pleasant about God, and at the end of the play she sings hymns. What do these contradictory behaviors reveal about Claire and about the playwright's attitude toward Claire's struggle?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)