|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who worries that the cold weather will have adverse effects on the plants?
2. What do the random growth patterns of the plants represent?
3. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
4. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
5. Who requested that breakfast be served in the greenhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the profession of Claire's lover, Tom? How is his profession indicative of his character?
2. What does Claire do as a result of her anger and disillusionment with Tom?
3. Describe what happens after Dick asks Claire about her plants.
4. How does Harry react to Claire's actions, yelling to Tom for rescue?
5. Describe what the audience hears when the curtain first opens in Act 1.
6. What does Tom want to tell Claire early in Act 3?
7. Which character responds to the code-like buzzer, and what does that character do?
8. Following Tom's rejection of her advances in the tower room, what does Claire do?
9. What is the symbolic meaning of "The Breath of Life" in this play?
10. When Tom realizes the greenhouse door is locked, what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given Claire's disdain for traditional womanly roles such as being a good wife, a loving mother, or a proper hostess, what values might she admire in a woman and aspire to for herself? How do these values uphold the general tone of the play in which Claire's unrest represents the struggles of women in the early days of the Women's Movement?
Essay Topic 2
During the play and in her past, Claire has broken several of the Ten Commandments. And yet, at one point she asks Tom to say something pleasant about God, and at the end of the play she sings hymns. What do these contradictory behaviors reveal about Claire and about the playwright's attitude toward Claire's struggle?
Essay Topic 3
Who or what is the main antagonist in the play? Does the protagonist overcome the antagonist?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)