|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Harry and Claire?
(a) Gardener and employer.
(b) Brother and sister.
(c) Husband and wife.
(d) Employer and maid.
2. What is the first sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(b) A conversation.
(c) A buzzer.
3. Why can't the second house guest enter the greenhouse?
(a) The door is frozen shut.
(b) Claire has locked the door.
(c) Anthony has locked the door.
(d) Hattie has locked the door.
4. What does Tom confide to Dick?
(a) He is divorcing Claire.
(b) He is having an affair.
(c) He loves Claire's daughter.
(d) He loves Claire.
5. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anthony try to distract Claire from worrying about the plant that is not thriving?
2. What does Claire say after Elizabeth exits?
3. Who brings Elizabeth to the greenhouse?
4. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
5. In the second part of Act 1, who enters after Harry exits?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Tom realizes the greenhouse door is locked, what does he do?
2. What does Claire say to Tom at the end of Act 1?
3. What is the symbolic meaning of "The Breath of Life" in this play?
4. How does Harry react to Claire's actions, yelling to Tom for rescue?
5. Why does Claire ask Anthony to view the plant first?
6. At the beginning of Act 3, what does Hattie urgently tell Anthony?
7. Claire's internal struggle indicates her desire for what?
8. Regarding Claire's two lovers, what action does she take when she enters the greenhouse?
9. After some order has been restored in the greenhouse, Anthony remind everyone it is time to do what?
10. Anthony explains to Harry that Claire gave him what two orders?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)