|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harry and the first house guest have a discussion about what?
(a) The blizzard.
(c) "The Edge Vine."
2. Who worries that the cold weather will have adverse effects on the plants?
(a) Anthony and Harry.
3. What is the relationship between Harry and Claire?
(a) Brother and sister.
(b) Gardener and employer.
(c) Husband and wife.
(d) Employer and maid.
4. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
(a) Outdoors in a blizzard, with a greenhouse visible.
(b) An unusual plant in a shaft of light.
(c) A room in a tower.
(d) The interior of a greenhouse on a sunny, snowy morning.
5. Which plant is not thriving?
(a) "The Life Vine."
(b) "The Breath of Life."
(c) "The Breath of Death."
(d) "The Edge Vine."
Short Answer Questions
1. Claire tries to strike Elizabeth with what?
2. How does Anthony try to distract Claire from worrying about the plant that is not thriving?
3. Which best describes the number of plants in the greenhouse?
4. Which character joins the first character after the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
5. Where does Tom intend to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the profession of Claire's lover, Tom? How is his profession indicative of his character?
2. What does Claire do as a result of her anger and disillusionment with Tom?
3. How does Harry react to Claire's actions, yelling to Tom for rescue?
4. What does Claire repeatedly try to explain to everyone regarding her plants?
5. At the end of Act 2, what does Claire ask of Dick while they embrace?
6. What is the significance of the names of the three men in this play who have been Claire's love interests?
7. Regarding Claire's two lovers, what action does she take when she enters the greenhouse?
8. Describe the attitudes of Claire and Elizabeth when they first meet face to face in Act 1.
9. What does Anthony offer to do when he sees that Claire has strangled Tom?
10. What does Claire say to Tom at the end of Act 1?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)