|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the second house guest have in his hand when he first arrives?
(a) A gun.
(b) A pepper shaker.
(c) A salt shaker.
(d) Supplies for breakfast.
2. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
(a) A broken window.
(b) A huge plant, clinging to the back wall.
(c) A dead plant.
(d) A gun.
3. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Kiss her.
(b) Put away his gun.
(c) Retrieve salt from the house.
(d) Retrieve pepper from the house.
4. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
(a) "The Breath of Life."
(b) "The Breath Vine."
(c) "The Edge of Death"
(d) "The Edge Vine."
5. Who rescues Elizabeth from being struck?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character joins the first character after the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
2. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
3. Why can't the second house guest enter the greenhouse?
4. What is the second sound the audience hears in Act 1?
5. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Anthony explains to Harry that Claire gave him what two orders?
2. Adelaide says that she goes about in the world, free, busy, and happy, because among people she has no time to think of herself. Why is this statement distasteful to Claire?
3. What character is onstage alone at the beginning of Act 2, and which two characters join the first character?
4. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth due to her attitude toward the plants, what does Claire do?
5. Which character responds to the code-like buzzer, and what does that character do?
6. Following the exchanges between Claire, Adelaide, and Harry, what does Claire do and how do other characters respond?
7. At the end of Act 2, what does Claire ask of Dick while they embrace?
8. Why does Claire ask Anthony to view the plant first?
9. Why is Anthony upset when Dick rushes into the greenhouse for shelter?
10. How does Anthony respond to Hattie's information?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)