|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Anthony answer the buzz from Harry?
(a) Harry didn't buzz Anthony.
(b) Hattie answered the buzz.
(c) Anthony didn't hear the buzzer.
(d) Claire had instructed Anthony to answer no buzz but hers.
2. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
(a) Why the salt is missing.
(b) Why the pepper is missing.
(c) The effects of the blizzard on the greenhouse.
(d) The significance of the greenhouse plants.
3. Where does Tom intend to go?
4. What is the special plant about to do?
(a) Be transplanted.
(d) Go to seed.
5. Why is the first house guest uncomfortable?
(a) Worries about the state of the household due to the missing salt.
(b) Worries about the state of the household due to the missing pepper.
(c) Worries about the state of the greenhouse due to the dying plant.
(d) Worries about the state of the greenhouse due to the blizzard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the best description of Hattie?
2. Which best describes the number of plants in the greenhouse?
3. Which is the best description of Anthony?
4. What does the second house guest bring from the house?
5. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following the exchanges between Claire, Adelaide, and Harry, what does Claire do and how do other characters respond?
2. What does Claire say to Tom at the end of Act 1?
3. Why is Anthony upset when Dick rushes into the greenhouse for shelter?
4. What is Anthony doing when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
5. Why is Claire unhappy, even though "The Breath of Life" bloomed beautifully?
6. What is the significance of the plant being called "The Breath of Life," and what is the symbolic importance of the act of blooming?
7. Who is the first house guest to enter the greenhouse, and what is his first topic of conversation?
8. What does Claire repeatedly try to explain to everyone regarding her plants?
9. Why is Claire frustrated by her inability to explain the importance of her plants?
10. Which character responds to the code-like buzzer, and what does that character do?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)