|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Harry and Claire?
(a) Husband and wife.
(b) Brother and sister.
(c) Gardener and employer.
(d) Employer and maid.
2. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
(a) "The Edge of Death"
(b) "The Breath Vine."
(c) "The Edge Vine."
(d) "The Breath of Life."
3. Which best describes the number of plants in the greenhouse?
(a) There are three plants.
(b) Plants are placed on every available shelf and nook.
(c) There are two living plants and one dead plant.
(d) There are two plants.
4. Which is the best description of Hattie?
(a) Wife of Harry.
(b) A gardener.
(c) A maid.
(d) A house guest.
5. Why is the first house guest uncomfortable?
(a) Worries about the state of the household due to the missing pepper.
(b) Worries about the state of the household due to the missing salt.
(c) Worries about the state of the greenhouse due to the blizzard.
(d) Worries about the state of the greenhouse due to the dying plant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rescues Elizabeth from being struck?
2. What does the interior of the greenhouse symbolize?
3. What is the special plant about to do?
4. Harry and the first house guest have a discussion about what?
5. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Claire agrees to unlock the door for Tom under what condition?
2. Why does Claire ask Anthony to view the plant first?
3. When Claire and Tom are alone in the tower room, what does Claire admit to Tom, and what is his response?
4. Adelaide says that she goes about in the world, free, busy, and happy, because among people she has no time to think of herself. Why is this statement distasteful to Claire?
5. At the beginning of Act 3, what does Hattie urgently tell Anthony?
6. What do Claire and Tom discuss regarding "The Breath of Life"?
7. What is the significance of the names of the three men in this play who have been Claire's love interests?
8. What is the symbolism of the tower room?
9. How does Harry react to Claire's actions, yelling to Tom for rescue?
10. Claire's internal struggle indicates her desire for what?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)