Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only character onstage when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
2. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
3. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
(a) "The Edge Vine."
(b) "The Breath Vine."
(c) "The Edge of Death"
(d) "The Breath of Life."
4. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth, what does Claire want to do?
(a) Destroy "The Edge Vine."
(b) Destroy "The Edge of Death."
(c) Destroy "The Breath of Life."
(d) Destroy all plants in the greenhouse.
5. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Put away his gun.
(b) Retrieve salt from the house.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Retrieve pepper from the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
2. Who requested that breakfast be served in the greenhouse?
3. What does the second house guest have in his hand when he first arrives?
4. Who tries to get Claire to come to the phone upon Elizabeth's arrival?
5. What does Claire push off the table?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harry realize when he sees that Claire has strangled Tom?
2. When Claire and Tom are alone in the tower room, what does Claire admit to Tom, and what is his response?
3. Why is Harry angry the first time he appears onstage?
4. Why is Claire unhappy, even though "The Breath of Life" bloomed beautifully?
5. Describe what the audience sees when the curtain first opens in Act 1.
6. At the end of Act 2, what does Claire ask of Dick while they embrace?
7. When Tom realizes the greenhouse door is locked, what does he do?
8. At the end of the play, Claire has lapsed into madness. Why does the playwright choose to end with Claire singing the verses to a religious hymn?
9. For what two specific family-related matters does Adelaide chastise Claire?
10. Following the exchanges between Claire, Adelaide, and Harry, what does Claire do and how do other characters respond?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)