|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claire try to explain to the men over breakfast?
(a) Why she is unhappy in her marriage.
(b) Why she doesn't spend more time with her daughter.
(c) Why there is no heat in the house.
(d) The joy of letting things grow without restriction.
2. What is the first sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(a) A conversation.
(d) A buzzer.
3. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
(a) "The Breath Vine."
(b) "The Edge Vine."
(c) "The Edge of Death"
(d) "The Breath of Life."
4. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
(a) The effects of the blizzard on the greenhouse.
(b) Why the salt is missing.
(c) The significance of the greenhouse plants.
(d) Why the pepper is missing.
5. How does Anthony try to distract Claire from worrying about the plant that is not thriving?
(a) Reminding her what "The Breath of Life" is about to do.
(b) Reminding her that the salt is missing.
(c) Reminding her that they can save the plant.
(d) Reminding her what "The Edge Vine" is about to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the first character onstage exits?
2. What does the first character do after coming onstage?
3. What is the first thing the audience sees in Act 1?
4. Which is the best description of Claire and Elizabeth's reunion?
5. Which best describes the number of plants in the greenhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the audience sees when the curtain first opens in Act 1.
2. After Harry leaves to smoke, what does Tom confide to Dick?
3. How does Anthony respond to Hattie's information?
4. When Tom realizes the greenhouse door is locked, what does he do?
5. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth due to her attitude toward the plants, what does Claire do?
6. Why is Claire unhappy, even though "The Breath of Life" bloomed beautifully?
7. What is the significance of the names of the three men in this play who have been Claire's love interests?
8. Why is Claire frustrated by her inability to explain the importance of her plants?
9. Claire's internal struggle indicates her desire for what?
10. How does Claire respond to Adelaide's criticisms?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)