|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the second house guest do when he sees that no one can help him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Drops the breakfast supplies.
(b) Drops the shaker.
(c) Pretends to shoot out the greenhouse door.
(d) Pretends to shoot himself.
2. What is the special plant about to do?
(a) Go to seed.
(c) Be transplanted.
3. What is the first sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(b) A buzzer.
(d) A conversation.
4. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
(a) "The Edge Vine."
(b) "The Breath of Life."
(c) "The Breath Vine."
(d) "The Edge of Death"
5. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
(a) A huge plant, clinging to the back wall.
(b) A gun.
(c) A dead plant.
(d) A broken window.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Anthony's specific instructions?
2. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
3. What does Harry help Hattie to do when he returns during the second part of Act 1?
4. What does the first character do after coming onstage?
5. Claire tries to strike Elizabeth with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Claire angry about Tom's declaration?
2. Which character responds to the code-like buzzer, and what does that character do?
3. What does Claire say to Tom at the end of Act 1?
4. Adelaide says that she goes about in the world, free, busy, and happy, because among people she has no time to think of herself. Why is this statement distasteful to Claire?
5. Regarding Claire's two lovers, what action does she take when she enters the greenhouse?
6. When the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1, what is the setting?
7. How does Anthony respond to Hattie's information?
8. What does Claire do as a result of her anger and disillusionment with Tom?
9. After being rejected by Tom and hearing the doctor's diagnosis, who does Claire turn to next for comfort?
10. Why is Claire frustrated by her inability to explain the importance of her plants?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)