|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harry help Hattie to do when he returns during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Greet the houseguests.
(b) Tend to the plants.
(c) Lock the greenhouse door.
(d) Prepare breakfast.
2. Claire tries to strike Elizabeth with what?
(a) A salt shaker.
(b) A flowerpot.
(c) "The Edge Vine."
(d) A trowel.
3. What does Tom confide to Dick?
(a) He is having an affair.
(b) He loves Claire.
(c) He is divorcing Claire.
(d) He loves Claire's daughter.
4. Which is the best description of Claire and Elizabeth's reunion?
(a) They laugh together at a private joke.
(b) They embrace awkwardly.
(c) They stay on opposite sides of the room.
(d) They tend plants together.
5. What does the second house guest have in his hand when he first arrives?
(a) A salt shaker.
(b) Supplies for breakfast.
(c) A pepper shaker.
(d) A gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the blizzard symbolize?
2. How does Anthony try to distract Claire from worrying about the plant that is not thriving?
3. What does Harry confide to the first house guest?
4. Why does Claire caution Tom to be careful?
5. Which plant is not thriving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom want to tell Claire early in Act 3?
2. Claire's internal struggle indicates her desire for what?
3. Describe the reaction of Claire when Anthony brings the blooming plant into the room, as contrasted with the reactions of the men?
4. When the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1, what is the setting?
5. Why is Claire unhappy, even though "The Breath of Life" bloomed beautifully?
6. What does Harry confide to Tom and Dick, and what response does he receive?
7. Describe what the audience hears when the curtain first opens in Act 1.
8. Describe what the audience sees when the curtain first opens in Act 1.
9. What is the profession of Claire's husband, Harry? How is his profession indicative of his character?
10. At the end of the play, Claire has lapsed into madness. Why does the playwright choose to end with Claire singing the verses to a religious hymn?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)