|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after the first character onstage exits?
(a) The greenhouse door opens.
(b) The curtain closes.
(c) The unusual-looking plant dies.
(d) The telephone rings.
2. Who is the only character onstage when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
3. What does the blizzard symbolize?
(a) Outside forces.
(b) Ideas and creativity.
4. What does Harry help Hattie to do when he returns during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Prepare breakfast.
(b) Tend to the plants.
(c) Lock the greenhouse door.
(d) Greet the houseguests.
5. What is the relationship between Harry and Claire?
(a) Gardener and employer.
(b) Brother and sister.
(c) Employer and maid.
(d) Husband and wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who requested that breakfast be served in the greenhouse?
2. What are Anthony's specific instructions?
3. Which is the best description of Claire and Elizabeth's reunion?
4. Who tries to get Claire to come to the phone upon Elizabeth's arrival?
5. Who rescues Elizabeth from being struck?
Short Essay Questions
1. After being rejected by Tom and hearing the doctor's diagnosis, who does Claire turn to next for comfort?
2. After Harry leaves to smoke, what does Tom confide to Dick?
3. What is Anthony doing when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
4. What is the significance of the names of the three men in this play who have been Claire's love interests?
5. Which character responds to the code-like buzzer, and what does that character do?
6. What is the profession of Claire's husband, Harry? How is his profession indicative of his character?
7. Why is Harry angry the first time he appears onstage?
8. What does Claire say to Tom at the end of Act 1?
9. What does Claire do as a result of her anger and disillusionment with Tom?
10. At the beginning of Act 3, what does Hattie urgently tell Anthony?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)