|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing the audience sees in Act 1?
(a) An unusual-looking plant.
(b) A greenhouse.
(c) A telephone.
(d) A blizzard.
2. What happens after the first character onstage exits?
(a) The telephone rings.
(b) The unusual-looking plant dies.
(c) The curtain closes.
(d) The greenhouse door opens.
3. From where does the beam of light originate?
(b) A trap door in the floor.
(c) From a plant.
(d) From the left.
4. What does Claire try to explain to the men over breakfast?
(a) Why she doesn't spend more time with her daughter.
(b) Why she is unhappy in her marriage.
(c) The joy of letting things grow without restriction.
(d) Why there is no heat in the house.
5. What is the second sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(a) A buzzer.
(c) A conversation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the blizzard symbolize?
2. In the second part of Act 1, who enters after Harry exits?
3. What does Claire push off the table?
4. Why can't the second house guest enter the greenhouse?
5. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Claire agrees to unlock the door for Tom under what condition?
2. Anthony explains to Harry that Claire gave him what two orders?
3. What is the significance of the names of the three men in this play who have been Claire's love interests?
4. What is the significance of the plant being called "The Breath of Life," and what is the symbolic importance of the act of blooming?
5. What does Harry realize when Claire runs to Dick?
6. Describe the reaction of Claire when Anthony brings the blooming plant into the room, as contrasted with the reactions of the men?
7. What is the symbolism of the tower room?
8. When the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1, what is the setting?
9. Why is Harry angry the first time he appears onstage?
10. For what two specific family-related matters does Adelaide chastise Claire?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)