|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(a) A buzzer.
(c) A conversation.
2. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
(a) Claire ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
(b) Harry ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
(c) The furnace is broken.
(d) The greenhouse retains heat better than the house does.
3. What is the first sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(c) A buzzer.
(d) A conversation.
4. Who are Tom and Dick?
(a) House guests.
(c) Brothers of Harry.
(d) Brothers of Anthony.
5. What does Claire try to explain to the men over breakfast?
(a) Why there is no heat in the house.
(b) Why she is unhappy in her marriage.
(c) The joy of letting things grow without restriction.
(d) Why she doesn't spend more time with her daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the second house guest bring from the house?
2. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
3. What does Claire ask Tom to do?
4. What does Harry confide to the first house guest?
5. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the plant being called "The Breath of Life," and what is the symbolic importance of the act of blooming?
2. Describe the setting of Act 2.
3. Claire agrees to unlock the door for Tom under what condition?
4. What is the symbolic meaning of "The Breath of Life" in this play?
5. Adelaide says that she goes about in the world, free, busy, and happy, because among people she has no time to think of herself. Why is this statement distasteful to Claire?
6. What are the names and conditions of the two special plants in the greenhouse?
7. Describe what happens after Dick asks Claire about her plants.
8. Describe what the audience hears when the curtain first opens in Act 1.
9. Describe what the audience sees when the curtain first opens in Act 1.
10. Who is the first house guest to enter the greenhouse, and what is his first topic of conversation?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)