|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
2. Why can't the second house guest enter the greenhouse?
(a) Anthony has locked the door.
(b) Hattie has locked the door.
(c) The door is frozen shut.
(d) Claire has locked the door.
3. Which best describes the number of plants in the greenhouse?
(a) Plants are placed on every available shelf and nook.
(b) There are two living plants and one dead plant.
(c) There are three plants.
(d) There are two plants.
4. What does Harry confide to the first house guest?
(a) He no longer loves Claire.
(b) Claire has hidden the salt and pepper.
(c) Claire is having an affair.
(d) He is considering having a doctor friend observe Claire's behavior.
5. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
(a) "The Breath of Life."
(b) "The Breath Vine."
(c) "The Edge Vine."
(d) "The Edge of Death"
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
2. Which is the best description of Anthony?
3. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth, what does Claire want to do?
4. Who worries that the cold weather will have adverse effects on the plants?
5. What does Tom confide to Dick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the profession of Claire's lover, Dick? How is his profession indicative of his character?
2. When Tom realizes the greenhouse door is locked, what does he do?
3. Claire's internal struggle indicates her desire for what?
4. Why is Harry angry the first time he appears onstage?
5. What does Claire say to Tom at the end of Act 1?
6. What does Harry realize when Claire runs to Dick?
7. What is the connection between Claire and Elizabeth?
8. What is the symbolism of the tower room?
9. Describe the reaction of Claire when Anthony brings the blooming plant into the room, as contrasted with the reactions of the men?
10. At the end of Act 2, what does Claire ask of Dick while they embrace?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)