|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the blizzard symbolize?
(b) Outside forces.
(d) Ideas and creativity.
2. Who is the only character onstage when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
3. Who tries to get Claire to come to the phone upon Elizabeth's arrival?
4. From where does the beam of light originate?
(a) From a plant.
(b) From the left.
(d) A trap door in the floor.
5. What is the first sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(b) A conversation.
(c) A buzzer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire say after Elizabeth exits?
2. What does Tom confide to Dick?
3. Why didn't Anthony answer the buzz from Harry?
4. Why does Claire caution Tom to be careful?
5. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What character is onstage alone at the beginning of Act 2, and which two characters join the first character?
2. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth due to her attitude toward the plants, what does Claire do?
3. Which character responds to the code-like buzzer, and what does that character do?
4. What is the connection between Claire and Elizabeth?
5. What is Dr. Emmons' diagnosis and recommendation regarding Claire?
6. Adelaide says that she goes about in the world, free, busy, and happy, because among people she has no time to think of herself. Why is this statement distasteful to Claire?
7. How does Anthony respond to Hattie's information?
8. What does Harry tell Claire he plans to do regarding her mental health?
9. Regarding Claire's two lovers, what action does she take when she enters the greenhouse?
10. What is the symbolic meaning of "The Breath of Life" in this play?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)