|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the first character do after coming onstage?
(a) Lock the greenhouse door.
(b) Press a buzzer.
(c) Prepare breakfast.
(d) Answer a telephone.
2. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth, what does Claire want to do?
(a) Destroy all plants in the greenhouse.
(b) Destroy "The Breath of Life."
(c) Destroy "The Edge Vine."
(d) Destroy "The Edge of Death."
3. What is the second sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(a) A buzzer.
(b) A conversation.
4. Which plant is not thriving?
(a) "The Life Vine."
(b) "The Edge Vine."
(c) "The Breath of Death."
(d) "The Breath of Life."
5. How does Anthony try to distract Claire from worrying about the plant that is not thriving?
(a) Reminding her that the salt is missing.
(b) Reminding her what "The Edge Vine" is about to do.
(c) Reminding her that they can save the plant.
(d) Reminding her what "The Breath of Life" is about to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
2. What does Claire ask Tom to do?
3. What do the random growth patterns of the plants represent?
4. What does Claire try to explain to the men over breakfast?
5. Who is the first character to come onstage in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth due to her attitude toward the plants, what does Claire do?
2. At the end of Act 2, what does Claire ask of Dick while they embrace?
3. What does Tom want to tell Claire early in Act 3?
4. How does Harry react to Claire's actions, yelling to Tom for rescue?
5. Why is Anthony upset when Dick rushes into the greenhouse for shelter?
6. What is the significance of the plant being called "The Breath of Life," and what is the symbolic importance of the act of blooming?
7. When Claire and Tom are alone with "The Breath of Life," what offer does he make to her?
8. Anthony explains to Harry that Claire gave him what two orders?
9. When the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1, what is the setting?
10. What does Harry realize when he sees that Claire has strangled Tom?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)