|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the first character do after coming onstage?
(a) Lock the greenhouse door.
(b) Press a buzzer.
(c) Prepare breakfast.
(d) Answer a telephone.
2. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
(a) Outdoors in a blizzard, with a greenhouse visible.
(b) An unusual plant in a shaft of light.
(c) The interior of a greenhouse on a sunny, snowy morning.
(d) A room in a tower.
3. Which is the best description of Claire and Elizabeth's reunion?
(a) They tend plants together.
(b) They embrace awkwardly.
(c) They stay on opposite sides of the room.
(d) They laugh together at a private joke.
4. What is the second sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(a) A conversation.
(b) A buzzer.
5. Who is the first character to come onstage in Act 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Anthony's specific instructions?
2. Why is the first house guest uncomfortable?
3. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
4. Why didn't Anthony answer the buzz from Harry?
5. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the play, Claire has lapsed into madness. Why does the playwright choose to end with Claire singing the verses to a religious hymn?
2. Which character responds to the code-like buzzer, and what does that character do?
3. How does Harry react to Claire's actions, yelling to Tom for rescue?
4. Claire's internal struggle indicates her desire for what?
5. What does Harry realize when he sees that Claire has strangled Tom?
6. What is the connection between Claire and Elizabeth?
7. What is the significance of the plant being called "The Breath of Life," and what is the symbolic importance of the act of blooming?
8. After some order has been restored in the greenhouse, Anthony remind everyone it is time to do what?
9. What is the symbolic meaning of "The Breath of Life" in this play?
10. What character is onstage alone at the beginning of Act 2, and which two characters join the first character?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)