|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harry help Hattie to do when he returns during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Tend to the plants.
(b) Greet the houseguests.
(c) Prepare breakfast.
(d) Lock the greenhouse door.
2. Who is the first character to come onstage in Act 1?
3. What does the second house guest do when he sees that no one can help him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Pretends to shoot out the greenhouse door.
(b) Pretends to shoot himself.
(c) Drops the shaker.
(d) Drops the breakfast supplies.
4. Who is the second house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
5. Which is the best description of Claire and Elizabeth's reunion?
(a) They tend plants together.
(b) They embrace awkwardly.
(c) They stay on opposite sides of the room.
(d) They laugh together at a private joke.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rescues Elizabeth from being struck?
2. What is the second sound the audience hears in Act 1?
3. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
4. What does the interior of the greenhouse symbolize?
5. What are Anthony's specific instructions?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth due to her attitude toward the plants, what does Claire do?
2. What does Claire repeatedly try to explain to everyone regarding her plants?
3. What does Harry tell Claire he plans to do regarding her mental health?
4. Following Tom's rejection of her advances in the tower room, what does Claire do?
5. After Harry leaves to smoke, what does Tom confide to Dick?
6. What do Claire and Tom discuss regarding "The Breath of Life"?
7. What does Anthony offer to do when he sees that Claire has strangled Tom?
8. What is the symbolism of the tower room?
9. When the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1, what is the setting?
10. What is Dr. Emmons' diagnosis and recommendation regarding Claire?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)