|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first character to come onstage in Act 1?
2. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
3. Claire tries to strike Elizabeth with what?
(a) A salt shaker.
(b) A trowel.
(c) A flowerpot.
(d) "The Edge Vine."
4. Which is the best description of Claire and Elizabeth's reunion?
(a) They stay on opposite sides of the room.
(b) They tend plants together.
(c) They laugh together at a private joke.
(d) They embrace awkwardly.
5. What does the blizzard symbolize?
(b) Outside forces.
(d) Ideas and creativity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the first character do after coming onstage?
2. What does the second house guest bring from the house?
3. What does Harry confide to the two house guests after Claire exits?
4. In the second part of Act 1, who enters after Harry exits?
5. Who rescues Elizabeth from being struck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harry realize when Claire runs to Dick?
2. What is the profession of Claire's husband, Harry? How is his profession indicative of his character?
3. What is the profession of Claire's lover, Tom? How is his profession indicative of his character?
4. What is the connection between Claire and Elizabeth?
5. What does Tom want to tell Claire early in Act 3?
6. How does Claire respond to Adelaide's criticisms?
7. When the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1, what is the setting?
8. What is the symbolic meaning of "The Breath of Life" in this play?
9. Who is the first house guest to enter the greenhouse, and what is his first topic of conversation?
10. What does Claire repeatedly try to explain to everyone regarding her plants?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)