|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harry and the first house guest have a discussion about what?
(a) "The Edge Vine."
(d) The blizzard.
2. What is the first sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(c) A buzzer.
(d) A conversation.
3. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
(a) The significance of the greenhouse plants.
(b) Why the salt is missing.
(c) The effects of the blizzard on the greenhouse.
(d) Why the pepper is missing.
4. What does Tom confide to Dick?
(a) He is having an affair.
(b) He is divorcing Claire.
(c) He loves Claire's daughter.
(d) He loves Claire.
5. Which best describes the number of plants in the greenhouse?
(a) Plants are placed on every available shelf and nook.
(b) There are three plants.
(c) There are two plants.
(d) There are two living plants and one dead plant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who requested that breakfast be served in the greenhouse?
2. What does Claire try to explain to the men over breakfast?
3. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
4. How does Anthony try to distract Claire from worrying about the plant that is not thriving?
5. What is the first thing the audience sees in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following Tom's rejection of her advances in the tower room, what does Claire do?
2. What is the symbolic meaning of "The Breath of Life" in this play?
3. Describe what the audience sees when the curtain first opens in Act 1.
4. Why is Claire frustrated by her inability to explain the importance of her plants?
5. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth due to her attitude toward the plants, what does Claire do?
6. Claire agrees to unlock the door for Tom under what condition?
7. How does Harry react to Claire's actions, yelling to Tom for rescue?
8. What are the names and conditions of the two special plants in the greenhouse?
9. Following the exchanges between Claire, Adelaide, and Harry, what does Claire do and how do other characters respond?
10. When Claire and Tom are alone in the tower room, what does Claire admit to Tom, and what is his response?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)