|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the first house guest uncomfortable?
(a) Worries about the state of the greenhouse due to the dying plant.
(b) Worries about the state of the greenhouse due to the blizzard.
(c) Worries about the state of the household due to the missing pepper.
(d) Worries about the state of the household due to the missing salt.
2. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
(a) A dead plant.
(b) A huge plant, clinging to the back wall.
(c) A broken window.
(d) A gun.
3. Who brings Elizabeth to the greenhouse?
4. What does Tom confide to Dick?
(a) He loves Claire's daughter.
(b) He loves Claire.
(c) He is divorcing Claire.
(d) He is having an affair.
5. Who is the first character to come onstage in Act 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the second house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
2. Who are Tom and Dick?
3. Who worries that the cold weather will have adverse effects on the plants?
4. How does Anthony try to distract Claire from worrying about the plant that is not thriving?
5. What does Claire say after Elizabeth exits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following Tom's rejection of her advances in the tower room, what does Claire do?
2. Regarding Claire's two lovers, what action does she take when she enters the greenhouse?
3. What does Tom want to tell Claire early in Act 3?
4. When Tom realizes the greenhouse door is locked, what does he do?
5. What is the profession of Claire's lover, Dick? How is his profession indicative of his character?
6. Describe what the audience hears when the curtain first opens in Act 1.
7. After being rejected by Tom and hearing the doctor's diagnosis, who does Claire turn to next for comfort?
8. The unusual, large, untamed, twisted plants in the greenhouse symbolize what movement in the early twentieth century?
9. What do Claire and Tom discuss regarding "The Breath of Life"?
10. After Harry leaves to smoke, what does Tom confide to Dick?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)