|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Anthony try to distract Claire from worrying about the plant that is not thriving?
(a) Reminding her that the salt is missing.
(b) Reminding her that they can save the plant.
(c) Reminding her what "The Breath of Life" is about to do.
(d) Reminding her what "The Edge Vine" is about to do.
2. What does Harry confide to the two house guests after Claire exits?
(a) He believes Claire is having an affair.
(b) He hopes to get advice from them regarding Claire.
(c) He does not want Claire to spend time with her daughter.
(d) He no longer loves Claire.
3. What do the random growth patterns of the plants represent?
(b) Outside forces.
(d) Ideas and creativity.
4. What does Harry help Hattie to do when he returns during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Prepare breakfast.
(b) Tend to the plants.
(c) Lock the greenhouse door.
(d) Greet the houseguests.
5. What does Tom advise Harry to do?
(a) Divorce Claire since he no longer loves her.
(b) Find out who Claire's lover is.
(c) Let Claire go on as she is.
(d) Destroy the plants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
2. Which best describes the number of plants in the greenhouse?
3. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
4. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
5. What does Harry confide to the first house guest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Anthony explains to Harry that Claire gave him what two orders?
2. Why is Claire unhappy, even though "The Breath of Life" bloomed beautifully?
3. Regarding Claire's two lovers, what action does she take when she enters the greenhouse?
4. Describe what the audience hears when the curtain first opens in Act 1.
5. What is the profession of Claire's husband, Harry? How is his profession indicative of his character?
6. What does Harry realize when Claire runs to Dick?
7. What is the symbolic meaning of "The Breath of Life" in this play?
8. After some order has been restored in the greenhouse, Anthony remind everyone it is time to do what?
9. What does Harry confide to Tom and Dick, and what response does he receive?
10. Why is Anthony upset when Dick rushes into the greenhouse for shelter?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)