|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who joins Claire, Tom, and the third character in the tower?
(a) The doctor and Harry.
(b) Dick, Adelaide, and the doctor.
(c) The doctor and Adelaide.
(d) Dick and Adelaide.
2. Which character says he or she is perfectly happy with the role society has dictated?
3. What is the first character onstage in Act 2 doing?
(c) Browsing through a book of drawings.
(d) Working with plants.
4. Who does Claire beg to take her away from the house?
(c) The doctor.
5. During the embrace, what does one character ask the other to do?
(a) Tell him she will get a divorce.
(b) Take her to India.
(c) Destroy the plants.
(d) Give her everything.
6. Who suggests that everyone should go downstairs to dinner?
7. Under what condition does Tom agree to stay?
(a) If Claire will destroy the greenhouse.
(b) If Claire will show some affection to her daughter.
(c) If he can see the results of the experiment.
(d) If Claire will apologize to Harry and Adelaide.
8. During the embrace, what complaint does one character make about the others who have left the room?
(a) They will give her nothing.
(b) They are always late to dinner.
(c) They complain too much about temperature.
(d) They don't appreciate her plants.
9. Which character practices meditation?
(b) The doctor.
10. Why is Tom the only one who truly loves Claire?
(a) He knows that Claire wants to live in India.
(b) He sees that the quest of love is more important to her than the consummation.
(c) He sees that Claire wants to assume a traditional woman's role.
(d) He knows that Harry is having an affair.
11. What does Tom do when Claire tries to embrace him?
(a) He asks her to marry him.
(b) He returns the embrace.
(c) He kisses her.
(d) He rejects her.
12. What is the doctor's area of practice?
13. Why has the extra guest been invited to dinner?
(a) To assist Claire with her plants.
(b) To assist Claire in her spiritual quest.
(c) To observe Claire for signs of infidelity.
(d) To observe Claire for signs of insanity.
14. Which character has the last name of Edgeworthy?
15. Which is the best description of the doctor?
(a) He specializes in botany.
(b) He rejects the belief that rest and isolation can help cure a hysterical patient.
(c) He rejects new Freudian theories.
(d) He is in love with Claire.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom respond to the call for help?
2. What does the doctor prescribe for Claire?
3. Why is the setting in Act 2's symbolism ironic?
4. Why does Adelaide chastise Claire?
5. What are Tom's emotions upon seeing that the person who called for help is fine?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)