|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children does Adelaide have?
2. When Claire and Tom are alone in the tower, what does Claire admit?
(a) She loves Tom.
(b) She loves only her plants.
(c) She loves Anthony.
(d) She loves Dick and Harry.
3. Who is the only character onstage at the beginning of Act 2?
4. How does Claire respond to Adelaide's accusations?
(a) She cries.
(b) She faints.
(c) In an insolent manner.
(d) With embarrassment.
5. What does Tom say regarding what Claire has admitted?
(a) It is wrong to love more than one man.
(b) Their love cannot be acted upon.
(c) She should divorce her husband.
(d) She should stop focusing on the plants.
6. What is the doctor's area of practice?
7. During the embrace, what does one character ask the other to do?
(a) Tell him she will get a divorce.
(b) Destroy the plants.
(c) Give her everything.
(d) Take her to India.
8. What are Tom's emotions upon seeing that the person who called for help is fine?
(a) Relief and good humor.
(b) Confusion and annoyance.
(c) Relief and annoyance.
(d) Embarrassment and annoyance.
9. Which character says he or she is perfectly happy with the role society has dictated?
10. What is the first character onstage in Act 2 doing?
(a) Browsing through a book of drawings.
(d) Working with plants.
11. Harry is aware of an attraction between Claire and which character?
(b) The doctor.
12. Under what condition does Tom agree to stay?
(a) If he can see the results of the experiment.
(b) If Claire will destroy the greenhouse.
(c) If Claire will show some affection to her daughter.
(d) If Claire will apologize to Harry and Adelaide.
13. Which is the best description of Dick?
(a) An artist who produces realistic paintings.
(b) An artist who produces abstract drawings.
(c) A gardener who loves Claire's plants.
(d) A poet who writes sonnets.
14. Who joins Claire, Tom, and the third character in the tower?
(a) Dick, Adelaide, and the doctor.
(b) The doctor and Adelaide.
(c) Dick and Adelaide.
(d) The doctor and Harry.
15. Which is the best description of the doctor?
(a) He rejects the belief that rest and isolation can help cure a hysterical patient.
(b) He rejects new Freudian theories.
(c) He specializes in botany.
(d) He is in love with Claire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first joins Claire and Tom in the tower room after she goes back upstairs?
2. Which is the best description of Tom?
3. Who calls Claire unnatural?
4. Adelaide has no time to do what?
5. Why is the setting in Act 2's symbolism ironic?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)