|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the doctor's area of practice?
2. Which is the best description of Harry?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A pilot.
(c) A poet.
(d) An artist.
3. What is the doctor's last name?
4. Adelaide has no time to do what?
(a) Take care of Claire's child.
(b) Take care of her children.
(c) Fill a traditional female role.
(d) Think of herself when she's among people.
5. During the embrace, what does one character ask the other to do?
(a) Destroy the plants.
(b) Give her everything.
(c) Tell him she will get a divorce.
(d) Take her to India.
6. How does Elizabeth respond to Adelaide's accusations?
(a) She cries.
(b) She defends Claire.
(c) She is not present during the accusations.
(d) She faints.
7. What is the setting of Act 2?
(a) A tower room made of wood..
(b) The exterior of the greenhouse.
(c) The interior of the greenhouse.
(d) A tower room with rough edges and unfinished masonry.
8. Who is the only character onstage at the beginning of Act 2?
9. What is the relationship between Elizabeth and Adelaide?
(a) They are sisters.
(b) They are niece and aunt.
(c) They are mother and daughter.
(d) They are rivals for Tom's love.
10. What does Claire tell Tom regarding "The Breath of Life?"
(a) The experiment no longer interests her.
(b) The plant will not bloom for another two weeks.
(c) She will know tomorrow if the experiment has been successful.
(d) The plant has died.
11. What does Harry realize after Claire begs another character to take her away?
(a) That she has had an intimate relationship with Anthony.
(b) That she wants to go to India.
(c) That she has had an intimate relationship with Dick.
(d) That she still loves Harry.
12. Which man loves Claire for her exterior self?
(d) The doctor.
13. What does Tom say regarding what Claire has admitted?
(a) It is wrong to love more than one man.
(b) She should divorce her husband.
(c) Their love cannot be acted upon.
(d) She should stop focusing on the plants.
14. What does Claire ask Tom to do in Act 2?
(a) Apologize to Harry.
(b) Be her partner so they can search for meaning together.
(c) Go to India.
(d) Destroy the greenhouse.
15. Which is the best description of the doctor?
(a) He rejects the belief that rest and isolation can help cure a hysterical patient.
(b) He specializes in botany.
(c) He rejects new Freudian theories.
(d) He is in love with Claire.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom respond to the call for help?
2. Why is the setting in Act 2's symbolism ironic?
3. Who enters the room after the doctor gives his advice?
4. What does the doctor prescribe for Claire?
5. Which character's behavior represents the unrest of many women in the U.S. as the Women's Rights Movement begins to take root?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)