|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Claire's opinion regarding typical female roles?
(a) She believes men are superior to women.
(b) She believes women are superior to men.
(c) She rejects such notions.
(d) She strives to fulfill her traditional role.
2. Why does a character apologize to Tom?
(a) Claire's call for help was meant for Anthony.
(b) Claire's unreasonable behavior caused Tom to run upstairs.
(c) Harry's unreasonable behavior embarrassed Tom.
(d) Claire's call for help was meant for Dick.
3. What does Tom do when Claire tries to embrace him?
(a) He returns the embrace.
(b) He asks her to marry him.
(c) He rejects her.
(d) He kisses her.
4. What does the setting in Act 2 symbolize?
(a) A castle fit for a queen.
(b) A spiritual prison.
(c) Closeness to God.
5. Which is the best description of Harry?
(a) A pilot.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A poet.
(d) An artist.
6. What does Harry realize after Claire begs another character to take her away?
(a) That she wants to go to India.
(b) That she has had an intimate relationship with Anthony.
(c) That she still loves Harry.
(d) That she has had an intimate relationship with Dick.
7. Who calls to Tom for help through the tower window?
(b) The doctor.
8. Under what condition does Tom agree to stay?
(a) If Claire will destroy the greenhouse.
(b) If he can see the results of the experiment.
(c) If Claire will apologize to Harry and Adelaide.
(d) If Claire will show some affection to her daughter.
9. Which man loves Claire for her exterior self?
(b) The doctor.
10. Who first joins Claire and Tom in the tower room after she goes back upstairs?
(d) The doctor.
11. Who tells Claire about the dinner guest?
(d) No one.
12. Who calls Claire unnatural?
(c) The doctor.
13. What does Claire tell Tom regarding "The Breath of Life?"
(a) The experiment no longer interests her.
(b) She will know tomorrow if the experiment has been successful.
(c) The plant will not bloom for another two weeks.
(d) The plant has died.
14. Adelaide has no time to do what?
(a) Fill a traditional female role.
(b) Think of herself when she's among people.
(c) Take care of her children.
(d) Take care of Claire's child.
15. From what does Claire say she needs to be rescued?
(a) Being trapped in a tower room.
(b) Being trapped in a house with no heat.
(c) Being forced to work long hours in the greenhouse.
(d) Adelaide's attacks on her character and ways of thinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Act 2?
2. Why does Claire make the request of Harry?
3. What is Tom's condition when he arrives in the tower room?
4. What is the relationship between Claire and Adelaide?
5. How does Tom respond to the call for help?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)