|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what does Claire say she needs to be rescued?
(a) Adelaide's attacks on her character and ways of thinking.
(b) Being trapped in a tower room.
(c) Being trapped in a house with no heat.
(d) Being forced to work long hours in the greenhouse.
2. Who calls to Tom for help through the tower window?
(b) The doctor.
3. What does the doctor prescribe for Claire?
4. Under what condition does Tom agree to stay?
(a) If Claire will destroy the greenhouse.
(b) If Claire will show some affection to her daughter.
(c) If Claire will apologize to Harry and Adelaide.
(d) If he can see the results of the experiment.
5. Who will be a guest at dinner?
(a) A botanist.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A minister.
(d) A divorce attorney.
6. Which is the best description of Harry?
(a) An artist.
(b) A pilot.
(c) A poet.
(d) A doctor.
7. How does Elizabeth respond to Adelaide's accusations?
(a) She defends Claire.
(b) She faints.
(c) She is not present during the accusations.
(d) She cries.
8. Who does Claire beg to take her away from the house?
(c) The doctor.
9. Who calls Claire unnatural?
(a) The doctor.
10. Which is the best description of Tom?
(a) A pilot.
(b) A poet.
(c) A doctor.
(d) An artist.
11. Why has the extra guest been invited to dinner?
(a) To assist Claire in her spiritual quest.
(b) To observe Claire for signs of infidelity.
(c) To assist Claire with her plants.
(d) To observe Claire for signs of insanity.
12. What does Claire tell Tom regarding "The Breath of Life?"
(a) The plant will not bloom for another two weeks.
(b) The experiment no longer interests her.
(c) She will know tomorrow if the experiment has been successful.
(d) The plant has died.
13. Why does a character apologize to Tom?
(a) Claire's call for help was meant for Anthony.
(b) Harry's unreasonable behavior embarrassed Tom.
(c) Claire's unreasonable behavior caused Tom to run upstairs.
(d) Claire's call for help was meant for Dick.
14. Which character practices meditation?
(d) The doctor.
15. How many children does Adelaide have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Elizabeth and Adelaide?
2. What is the foundation of Claire's emotional state?
3. Which character's behavior represents the unrest of many women in the U.S. as the Women's Rights Movement begins to take root?
4. Who suggests that everyone should go downstairs to dinner?
5. What does Tom say regarding what Claire has admitted?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)