|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom respond to the call for help?
(a) He does not hear the request, but was already heading upstairs.
(b) He calls to Dick for assistance, and the two run upstairs.
(c) He runs upstairs, anxious to assist.
(d) He says he does not believe his help is needed, but slowly ascends the stairs.
2. What does the setting in Act 2 symbolize?
(a) A castle fit for a queen.
(b) Closeness to God.
(d) A spiritual prison.
3. Why is Tom the only one who truly loves Claire?
(a) He sees that the quest of love is more important to her than the consummation.
(b) He knows that Claire wants to live in India.
(c) He sees that Claire wants to assume a traditional woman's role.
(d) He knows that Harry is having an affair.
4. Who enters the room after the doctor gives his advice?
5. Who suggests that everyone should go downstairs to dinner?
6. What does the doctor prescribe for Claire?
7. What is the doctor's area of practice?
8. How does Claire respond to Adelaide's accusations?
(a) She cries.
(b) With embarrassment.
(c) In an insolent manner.
(d) She faints.
9. Why has the extra guest been invited to dinner?
(a) To observe Claire for signs of infidelity.
(b) To observe Claire for signs of insanity.
(c) To assist Claire with her plants.
(d) To assist Claire in her spiritual quest.
10. Who will be a guest at dinner?
(a) A minister.
(b) A botanist.
(c) A divorce attorney.
(d) A doctor.
11. Which is the best description of the doctor?
(a) He rejects new Freudian theories.
(b) He rejects the belief that rest and isolation can help cure a hysterical patient.
(c) He specializes in botany.
(d) He is in love with Claire.
12. Which character's behavior represents the unrest of many women in the U.S. as the Women's Rights Movement begins to take root?
13. Who joins Claire, Tom, and the third character in the tower?
(a) The doctor and Adelaide.
(b) Dick and Adelaide.
(c) Dick, Adelaide, and the doctor.
(d) The doctor and Harry.
14. What is Claire unable to explain regarding her experiment?
(a) There is hope in growth.
(b) She wants the experiment to fail.
(c) She does not understand why the flower isn't blooming.
(d) She wants to create a never-before-seen color.
15. Who raised Elizabeth?
Short Answer Questions
1. From what does Claire say she needs to be rescued?
2. Which is the best description of Harry?
3. Which character practices meditation?
4. Who calls to Tom for help through the tower window?
5. Who does Claire beg to take her away from the house?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)