|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom respond to the call for help?
(a) He does not hear the request, but was already heading upstairs.
(b) He says he does not believe his help is needed, but slowly ascends the stairs.
(c) He calls to Dick for assistance, and the two run upstairs.
(d) He runs upstairs, anxious to assist.
2. Why has the extra guest been invited to dinner?
(a) To observe Claire for signs of infidelity.
(b) To observe Claire for signs of insanity.
(c) To assist Claire with her plants.
(d) To assist Claire in her spiritual quest.
3. How does Elizabeth respond to Adelaide's accusations?
(a) She faints.
(b) She is not present during the accusations.
(c) She defends Claire.
(d) She cries.
4. Who is the only character onstage at the beginning of Act 2?
5. What is the foundation of Claire's emotional state?
(a) She has trouble sleeping.
(b) She needs something to hope for beyond what others are able to give.
(c) She wants to spend more time with Adelaide.
(d) She wants to spend more time with Elizabeth.
6. Who tells Claire about the dinner guest?
(a) No one.
7. Why does Claire make the request of Harry?
(a) Music calms her emotions.
(b) She wants the doctor to help her.
(c) She no longer wants to be alone with Tom.
(d) The Victrola is disturbing her concentration.
8. What is the relationship between Claire and Adelaide?
(a) They are niece and aunt.
(b) They are rivals for Harry's love.
(c) They are mother and daughter.
(d) They are sisters.
9. What does Claire ask Harry to do when she goes downstairs?
(a) Play the music louder.
(b) Turn off the Victrola.
(c) Return to the tower room.
(d) Invite the doctor to dinner.
10. Which two characters join the first character early in Act 2?
(a) Harry and the doctor.
(b) Harry and Elizabeth.
(c) Harry and Adelaide.
(d) Elizabeth and Adelaide.
11. What is the doctor's last name?
12. During the embrace, what does one character ask the other to do?
(a) Tell him she will get a divorce.
(b) Destroy the plants.
(c) Give her everything.
(d) Take her to India.
13. Why is Tom the only one who truly loves Claire?
(a) He sees that the quest of love is more important to her than the consummation.
(b) He knows that Harry is having an affair.
(c) He knows that Claire wants to live in India.
(d) He sees that Claire wants to assume a traditional woman's role.
14. What is the doctor's area of practice?
15. What does Tom say will happen to communication between himself and Claire?
(a) Calling from India will be difficult.
(b) All communication will be handled through Harry.
(c) They should devise a specific buzzer code for the telephone.
(d) It will dramatically decline.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that everyone should go downstairs to dinner?
2. Who calls Claire unnatural?
3. What does the doctor prescribe for Claire?
4. Which two characters embrace at the end of Act 2?
5. Who joins Claire, Tom, and the third character in the tower?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)