|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the doctor prescribe for Claire?
2. During the embrace, what complaint does one character make about the others who have left the room?
(a) They are always late to dinner.
(b) They will give her nothing.
(c) They complain too much about temperature.
(d) They don't appreciate her plants.
3. Who will be a guest at dinner?
(a) A divorce attorney.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A minister.
(d) A botanist.
4. What does Claire tell Tom regarding "The Breath of Life?"
(a) The plant will not bloom for another two weeks.
(b) She will know tomorrow if the experiment has been successful.
(c) The plant has died.
(d) The experiment no longer interests her.
5. What is the first character onstage in Act 2 doing?
(a) Browsing through a book of drawings.
(d) Working with plants.
6. Why is Tom the only one who truly loves Claire?
(a) He knows that Claire wants to live in India.
(b) He knows that Harry is having an affair.
(c) He sees that Claire wants to assume a traditional woman's role.
(d) He sees that the quest of love is more important to her than the consummation.
7. Which man loves Claire for her exterior self?
(d) The doctor.
8. Who apologizes to Tom in Act 2?
(b) The doctor.
9. What are Tom's emotions upon seeing that the person who called for help is fine?
(a) Relief and annoyance.
(b) Relief and good humor.
(c) Confusion and annoyance.
(d) Embarrassment and annoyance.
10. What is the doctor's last name?
11. Who is the only character onstage at the beginning of Act 2?
12. Which character's behavior represents the unrest of many women in the U.S. as the Women's Rights Movement begins to take root?
13. Which is the best description of the doctor?
(a) He is in love with Claire.
(b) He rejects new Freudian theories.
(c) He rejects the belief that rest and isolation can help cure a hysterical patient.
(d) He specializes in botany.
14. What is the relationship between Elizabeth and Adelaide?
(a) They are mother and daughter.
(b) They are rivals for Tom's love.
(c) They are sisters.
(d) They are niece and aunt.
15. Which character says he or she is perfectly happy with the role society has dictated?
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what condition does Tom agree to stay?
2. What is Claire's opinion regarding typical female roles?
3. What is Tom's condition when he arrives in the tower room?
4. What is the doctor's area of practice?
5. During the embrace, what does one character ask the other to do?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)