|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the foundation of Claire's emotional state?
(a) She has trouble sleeping.
(b) She wants to spend more time with Elizabeth.
(c) She needs something to hope for beyond what others are able to give.
(d) She wants to spend more time with Adelaide.
2. What does Tom say regarding what Claire has admitted?
(a) She should stop focusing on the plants.
(b) Their love cannot be acted upon.
(c) It is wrong to love more than one man.
(d) She should divorce her husband.
3. Why is the setting in Act 2's symbolism ironic?
(a) The prisoner has put herself in the prison.
(b) The characters are not religious.
(c) The lock on the door is broken.
(d) The household has no queen.
4. Adelaide has no time to do what?
(a) Take care of her children.
(b) Think of herself when she's among people.
(c) Fill a traditional female role.
(d) Take care of Claire's child.
5. Why does Claire make the request of Harry?
(a) Music calms her emotions.
(b) She no longer wants to be alone with Tom.
(c) The Victrola is disturbing her concentration.
(d) She wants the doctor to help her.
6. Who first joins Claire and Tom in the tower room after she goes back upstairs?
(b) The doctor.
7. What is the first character onstage in Act 2 doing?
(a) Working with plants.
(c) Browsing through a book of drawings.
8. Who enters the room after the doctor gives his advice?
9. How does Tom respond to the call for help?
(a) He runs upstairs, anxious to assist.
(b) He says he does not believe his help is needed, but slowly ascends the stairs.
(c) He does not hear the request, but was already heading upstairs.
(d) He calls to Dick for assistance, and the two run upstairs.
10. What is the setting of Act 2?
(a) The interior of the greenhouse.
(b) A tower room made of wood..
(c) A tower room with rough edges and unfinished masonry.
(d) The exterior of the greenhouse.
11. Who calls Claire unnatural?
(c) The doctor.
12. What is the relationship between Elizabeth and Adelaide?
(a) They are niece and aunt.
(b) They are rivals for Tom's love.
(c) They are sisters.
(d) They are mother and daughter.
13. Which two characters join the first character early in Act 2?
(a) Harry and Elizabeth.
(b) Harry and the doctor.
(c) Elizabeth and Adelaide.
(d) Harry and Adelaide.
14. Who does Claire beg to take her away from the house?
(d) The doctor.
15. Which character says he or she is perfectly happy with the role society has dictated?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor prescribe for Claire?
2. Which is the best description of Dick?
3. What is the doctor's area of practice?
4. Who joins Claire, Tom, and the third character in the tower?
5. What does Tom say will happen to communication between himself and Claire?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)