|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Tom's emotions upon seeing that the person who called for help is fine?
(a) Relief and annoyance.
(b) Relief and good humor.
(c) Embarrassment and annoyance.
(d) Confusion and annoyance.
2. Which two characters join the first character early in Act 2?
(a) Elizabeth and Adelaide.
(b) Harry and Adelaide.
(c) Harry and the doctor.
(d) Harry and Elizabeth.
3. How does Tom respond to the call for help?
(a) He does not hear the request, but was already heading upstairs.
(b) He says he does not believe his help is needed, but slowly ascends the stairs.
(c) He runs upstairs, anxious to assist.
(d) He calls to Dick for assistance, and the two run upstairs.
4. What is the setting of Act 2?
(a) The exterior of the greenhouse.
(b) A tower room made of wood..
(c) A tower room with rough edges and unfinished masonry.
(d) The interior of the greenhouse.
5. How does Claire respond to Adelaide's accusations?
(a) She cries.
(b) With embarrassment.
(c) She faints.
(d) In an insolent manner.
6. Who first joins Claire and Tom in the tower room after she goes back upstairs?
(a) The doctor.
7. Why has the extra guest been invited to dinner?
(a) To observe Claire for signs of insanity.
(b) To assist Claire in her spiritual quest.
(c) To observe Claire for signs of infidelity.
(d) To assist Claire with her plants.
8. Why is the setting in Act 2's symbolism ironic?
(a) The characters are not religious.
(b) The lock on the door is broken.
(c) The household has no queen.
(d) The prisoner has put herself in the prison.
9. What is Claire unable to explain regarding her experiment?
(a) She wants to create a never-before-seen color.
(b) She wants the experiment to fail.
(c) There is hope in growth.
(d) She does not understand why the flower isn't blooming.
10. Who does Claire beg to take her away from the house?
(d) The doctor.
11. What is the doctor's last name?
12. What is the relationship between Elizabeth and Adelaide?
(a) They are niece and aunt.
(b) They are rivals for Tom's love.
(c) They are sisters.
(d) They are mother and daughter.
13. Which man loves Claire for her exterior self?
(d) The doctor.
14. Which character's behavior represents the unrest of many women in the U.S. as the Women's Rights Movement begins to take root?
15. What is Tom's condition when he arrives in the tower room?
(a) He is angry, pointing a gun at the others.
(b) He is out of breath.
(c) He is laughing.
(d) He is hesitant and does not enter the room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that everyone should go downstairs to dinner?
2. What does Tom do when Claire tries to embrace him?
3. Which character practices meditation?
4. Why does Adelaide chastise Claire?
5. Why does a character apologize to Tom?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)