|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harry is aware of an attraction between Claire and which character?
(d) The doctor.
2. During the embrace, what complaint does one character make about the others who have left the room?
(a) They are always late to dinner.
(b) They complain too much about temperature.
(c) They will give her nothing.
(d) They don't appreciate her plants.
3. What is the first character onstage in Act 2 doing?
(b) Browsing through a book of drawings.
(c) Working with plants.
4. Why is Tom the only one who truly loves Claire?
(a) He sees that Claire wants to assume a traditional woman's role.
(b) He knows that Claire wants to live in India.
(c) He sees that the quest of love is more important to her than the consummation.
(d) He knows that Harry is having an affair.
5. What does Claire ask Harry to do when she goes downstairs?
(a) Play the music louder.
(b) Turn off the Victrola.
(c) Invite the doctor to dinner.
(d) Return to the tower room.
6. What is Tom's condition when he arrives in the tower room?
(a) He is laughing.
(b) He is angry, pointing a gun at the others.
(c) He is hesitant and does not enter the room.
(d) He is out of breath.
7. What is Claire's opinion regarding typical female roles?
(a) She believes men are superior to women.
(b) She rejects such notions.
(c) She believes women are superior to men.
(d) She strives to fulfill her traditional role.
8. What does Tom say regarding what Claire has admitted?
(a) She should stop focusing on the plants.
(b) It is wrong to love more than one man.
(c) She should divorce her husband.
(d) Their love cannot be acted upon.
9. Which character practices meditation?
(c) The doctor.
10. Who enters the room after the doctor gives his advice?
11. Why does Claire make the request of Harry?
(a) Music calms her emotions.
(b) She wants the doctor to help her.
(c) The Victrola is disturbing her concentration.
(d) She no longer wants to be alone with Tom.
12. Which character has the last name of Edgeworthy?
13. What does Claire tell Tom regarding "The Breath of Life?"
(a) The experiment no longer interests her.
(b) She will know tomorrow if the experiment has been successful.
(c) The plant will not bloom for another two weeks.
(d) The plant has died.
14. Under what condition does Tom agree to stay?
(a) If he can see the results of the experiment.
(b) If Claire will destroy the greenhouse.
(c) If Claire will show some affection to her daughter.
(d) If Claire will apologize to Harry and Adelaide.
15. Who first joins Claire and Tom in the tower room after she goes back upstairs?
(a) The doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor prescribe for Claire?
2. Why does a character apologize to Tom?
3. Which two characters join the first character early in Act 2?
4. What is the doctor's last name?
5. Adelaide has no time to do what?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)