|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claire tell Tom regarding "The Breath of Life?"
(a) She will know tomorrow if the experiment has been successful.
(b) The experiment no longer interests her.
(c) The plant will not bloom for another two weeks.
(d) The plant has died.
2. What does Claire ask Tom to do in Act 2?
(a) Destroy the greenhouse.
(b) Apologize to Harry.
(c) Be her partner so they can search for meaning together.
(d) Go to India.
3. Which is the best description of Dick?
(a) A gardener who loves Claire's plants.
(b) An artist who produces realistic paintings.
(c) A poet who writes sonnets.
(d) An artist who produces abstract drawings.
4. During the embrace, what does one character ask the other to do?
(a) Destroy the plants.
(b) Take her to India.
(c) Tell him she will get a divorce.
(d) Give her everything.
5. What does Tom do when Claire tries to embrace him?
(a) He returns the embrace.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He rejects her.
(d) He asks her to marry him.
6. Why does Adelaide chastise Claire?
(a) For not leaving Harry.
(b) For not letting Adelaide raise Elizabeth.
(c) For not doing a better job taking care of the greenhouse plants.
(d) For not being affectionate to her daughter.
7. Adelaide has no time to do what?
(a) Fill a traditional female role.
(b) Take care of Claire's child.
(c) Think of herself when she's among people.
(d) Take care of her children.
8. How does Claire respond to Adelaide's accusations?
(a) With embarrassment.
(b) In an insolent manner.
(c) She cries.
(d) She faints.
9. Who enters the room after the doctor gives his advice?
10. What does Tom say will happen to communication between himself and Claire?
(a) All communication will be handled through Harry.
(b) It will dramatically decline.
(c) Calling from India will be difficult.
(d) They should devise a specific buzzer code for the telephone.
11. Under what condition does Tom agree to stay?
(a) If Claire will apologize to Harry and Adelaide.
(b) If Claire will show some affection to her daughter.
(c) If he can see the results of the experiment.
(d) If Claire will destroy the greenhouse.
12. During the embrace, what complaint does one character make about the others who have left the room?
(a) They will give her nothing.
(b) They complain too much about temperature.
(c) They are always late to dinner.
(d) They don't appreciate her plants.
13. Which two characters join the first character early in Act 2?
(a) Harry and the doctor.
(b) Elizabeth and Adelaide.
(c) Harry and Elizabeth.
(d) Harry and Adelaide.
14. Which two characters embrace at the end of Act 2?
(a) Harry and Claire.
(b) Claire and Tom.
(c) Claire and Dick.
(d) Adelaide and Harry.
15. Harry is aware of an attraction between Claire and which character?
(d) The doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tom the only one who truly loves Claire?
2. What is the doctor's area of practice?
3. What are Tom's emotions upon seeing that the person who called for help is fine?
4. Which is the best description of Tom?
5. Why has the extra guest been invited to dinner?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)