|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elizabeth respond to Adelaide's accusations?
(a) She faints.
(b) She is not present during the accusations.
(c) She defends Claire.
(d) She cries.
2. How many children does Adelaide have?
3. Which character says he or she is perfectly happy with the role society has dictated?
4. Who will be a guest at dinner?
(a) A divorce attorney.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A minister.
(d) A botanist.
5. Who calls to Tom for help through the tower window?
(b) The doctor.
6. What is the relationship between Claire and Adelaide?
(a) They are sisters.
(b) They are niece and aunt.
(c) They are rivals for Harry's love.
(d) They are mother and daughter.
7. From what does Claire say she needs to be rescued?
(a) Being trapped in a house with no heat.
(b) Adelaide's attacks on her character and ways of thinking.
(c) Being trapped in a tower room.
(d) Being forced to work long hours in the greenhouse.
8. Who apologizes to Tom in Act 2?
(b) The doctor.
9. What is the setting of Act 2?
(a) A tower room made of wood..
(b) The exterior of the greenhouse.
(c) The interior of the greenhouse.
(d) A tower room with rough edges and unfinished masonry.
10. Who joins Claire, Tom, and the third character in the tower?
(a) Dick and Adelaide.
(b) Dick, Adelaide, and the doctor.
(c) The doctor and Adelaide.
(d) The doctor and Harry.
11. What does Claire ask Harry to do when she goes downstairs?
(a) Play the music louder.
(b) Invite the doctor to dinner.
(c) Turn off the Victrola.
(d) Return to the tower room.
12. Which character practices meditation?
(a) The doctor.
13. Who tells Claire about the dinner guest?
(d) No one.
14. Which is the best description of Dick?
(a) A poet who writes sonnets.
(b) A gardener who loves Claire's plants.
(c) An artist who produces realistic paintings.
(d) An artist who produces abstract drawings.
15. During the embrace, what complaint does one character make about the others who have left the room?
(a) They don't appreciate her plants.
(b) They will give her nothing.
(c) They complain too much about temperature.
(d) They are always late to dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first character onstage in Act 2 doing?
2. Who suggests that everyone should go downstairs to dinner?
3. When Claire and Tom are alone in the tower, what does Claire admit?
4. What is the doctor's area of practice?
5. Which is the best description of the doctor?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)