|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Act 2?
(a) The exterior of the greenhouse.
(b) A tower room with rough edges and unfinished masonry.
(c) The interior of the greenhouse.
(d) A tower room made of wood..
2. Under what condition does Tom agree to stay?
(a) If Claire will destroy the greenhouse.
(b) If he can see the results of the experiment.
(c) If Claire will apologize to Harry and Adelaide.
(d) If Claire will show some affection to her daughter.
3. What does Harry realize after Claire begs another character to take her away?
(a) That she has had an intimate relationship with Dick.
(b) That she has had an intimate relationship with Anthony.
(c) That she wants to go to India.
(d) That she still loves Harry.
4. Why is Tom the only one who truly loves Claire?
(a) He sees that the quest of love is more important to her than the consummation.
(b) He knows that Claire wants to live in India.
(c) He sees that Claire wants to assume a traditional woman's role.
(d) He knows that Harry is having an affair.
5. Who suggests that everyone should go downstairs to dinner?
6. Who calls Claire unnatural?
(b) The doctor.
7. What is Claire's opinion regarding typical female roles?
(a) She believes men are superior to women.
(b) She rejects such notions.
(c) She strives to fulfill her traditional role.
(d) She believes women are superior to men.
8. Which is the best description of Tom?
(a) A poet.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A pilot.
(d) An artist.
9. What does Tom do when Claire tries to embrace him?
(a) He returns the embrace.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He asks her to marry him.
(d) He rejects her.
10. What does Tom say regarding what Claire has admitted?
(a) It is wrong to love more than one man.
(b) She should stop focusing on the plants.
(c) Their love cannot be acted upon.
(d) She should divorce her husband.
11. When Claire and Tom are alone in the tower, what does Claire admit?
(a) She loves only her plants.
(b) She loves Anthony.
(c) She loves Dick and Harry.
(d) She loves Tom.
12. From what does Claire say she needs to be rescued?
(a) Being forced to work long hours in the greenhouse.
(b) Adelaide's attacks on her character and ways of thinking.
(c) Being trapped in a tower room.
(d) Being trapped in a house with no heat.
13. What is the doctor's last name?
14. What does Tom say will happen to communication between himself and Claire?
(a) Calling from India will be difficult.
(b) All communication will be handled through Harry.
(c) It will dramatically decline.
(d) They should devise a specific buzzer code for the telephone.
15. What does Claire tell Tom regarding "The Breath of Life?"
(a) The plant has died.
(b) The experiment no longer interests her.
(c) The plant will not bloom for another two weeks.
(d) She will know tomorrow if the experiment has been successful.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom respond to the call for help?
2. Who joins Claire, Tom, and the third character in the tower?
3. Which is the best description of Dick?
4. What is the foundation of Claire's emotional state?
5. Which character has the last name of Edgeworthy?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)