|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Claire and Tom are alone in the tower, what does Claire admit?
(a) She loves Tom.
(b) She loves only her plants.
(c) She loves Dick and Harry.
(d) She loves Anthony.
2. Which two characters join the first character early in Act 2?
(a) Harry and Adelaide.
(b) Elizabeth and Adelaide.
(c) Harry and Elizabeth.
(d) Harry and the doctor.
3. Why does a character apologize to Tom?
(a) Claire's unreasonable behavior caused Tom to run upstairs.
(b) Claire's call for help was meant for Dick.
(c) Harry's unreasonable behavior embarrassed Tom.
(d) Claire's call for help was meant for Anthony.
4. Why is Tom the only one who truly loves Claire?
(a) He sees that the quest of love is more important to her than the consummation.
(b) He knows that Claire wants to live in India.
(c) He sees that Claire wants to assume a traditional woman's role.
(d) He knows that Harry is having an affair.
5. What does Tom say will happen to communication between himself and Claire?
(a) Calling from India will be difficult.
(b) They should devise a specific buzzer code for the telephone.
(c) All communication will be handled through Harry.
(d) It will dramatically decline.
6. What is the doctor's area of practice?
7. Who tells Claire about the dinner guest?
(c) No one.
8. What is the doctor's last name?
9. Which character practices meditation?
(d) The doctor.
10. How does Tom respond to the call for help?
(a) He runs upstairs, anxious to assist.
(b) He says he does not believe his help is needed, but slowly ascends the stairs.
(c) He does not hear the request, but was already heading upstairs.
(d) He calls to Dick for assistance, and the two run upstairs.
11. During the embrace, what complaint does one character make about the others who have left the room?
(a) They will give her nothing.
(b) They don't appreciate her plants.
(c) They are always late to dinner.
(d) They complain too much about temperature.
12. From what does Claire say she needs to be rescued?
(a) Being trapped in a house with no heat.
(b) Being forced to work long hours in the greenhouse.
(c) Being trapped in a tower room.
(d) Adelaide's attacks on her character and ways of thinking.
13. What does Tom do when Claire tries to embrace him?
(a) He rejects her.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He returns the embrace.
(d) He asks her to marry him.
14. Which character's behavior represents the unrest of many women in the U.S. as the Women's Rights Movement begins to take root?
15. Under what condition does Tom agree to stay?
(a) If Claire will destroy the greenhouse.
(b) If he can see the results of the experiment.
(c) If Claire will apologize to Harry and Adelaide.
(d) If Claire will show some affection to her daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Claire unnatural?
2. During the embrace, what does one character ask the other to do?
3. Who will be a guest at dinner?
4. Who raised Elizabeth?
5. Which is the best description of the doctor?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)