|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what does Claire say she needs to be rescued?
(a) Adelaide's attacks on her character and ways of thinking.
(b) Being trapped in a tower room.
(c) Being trapped in a house with no heat.
(d) Being forced to work long hours in the greenhouse.
2. Adelaide has no time to do what?
(a) Take care of Claire's child.
(b) Fill a traditional female role.
(c) Take care of her children.
(d) Think of herself when she's among people.
3. What are Tom's emotions upon seeing that the person who called for help is fine?
(a) Embarrassment and annoyance.
(b) Relief and annoyance.
(c) Confusion and annoyance.
(d) Relief and good humor.
4. Which two characters embrace at the end of Act 2?
(a) Claire and Dick.
(b) Claire and Tom.
(c) Adelaide and Harry.
(d) Harry and Claire.
5. What is the relationship between Elizabeth and Adelaide?
(a) They are mother and daughter.
(b) They are sisters.
(c) They are niece and aunt.
(d) They are rivals for Tom's love.
6. What is the setting of Act 2?
(a) A tower room made of wood..
(b) The interior of the greenhouse.
(c) A tower room with rough edges and unfinished masonry.
(d) The exterior of the greenhouse.
7. What is the doctor's area of practice?
8. Who enters the room after the doctor gives his advice?
9. What does Tom say regarding what Claire has admitted?
(a) She should divorce her husband.
(b) It is wrong to love more than one man.
(c) Their love cannot be acted upon.
(d) She should stop focusing on the plants.
10. Which is the best description of Harry?
(a) A poet.
(b) An artist.
(c) A pilot.
(d) A doctor.
11. What does Claire ask Harry to do when she goes downstairs?
(a) Invite the doctor to dinner.
(b) Turn off the Victrola.
(c) Return to the tower room.
(d) Play the music louder.
12. How does Tom respond to the call for help?
(a) He does not hear the request, but was already heading upstairs.
(b) He calls to Dick for assistance, and the two run upstairs.
(c) He runs upstairs, anxious to assist.
(d) He says he does not believe his help is needed, but slowly ascends the stairs.
13. What does the setting in Act 2 symbolize?
(a) A spiritual prison.
(b) A castle fit for a queen.
(d) Closeness to God.
14. When Claire and Tom are alone in the tower, what does Claire admit?
(a) She loves Dick and Harry.
(b) She loves Tom.
(c) She loves only her plants.
(d) She loves Anthony.
15. Who does Claire beg to take her away from the house?
(a) The doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only character onstage at the beginning of Act 2?
2. Which character practices meditation?
3. Who apologizes to Tom in Act 2?
4. During the embrace, what does one character ask the other to do?
5. Which is the best description of the doctor?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)