|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only character onstage at the beginning of Act 2?
2. What is the doctor's area of practice?
3. Why is the setting in Act 2's symbolism ironic?
(a) The household has no queen.
(b) The characters are not religious.
(c) The prisoner has put herself in the prison.
(d) The lock on the door is broken.
4. Under what condition does Tom agree to stay?
(a) If he can see the results of the experiment.
(b) If Claire will show some affection to her daughter.
(c) If Claire will apologize to Harry and Adelaide.
(d) If Claire will destroy the greenhouse.
5. Why is Tom the only one who truly loves Claire?
(a) He sees that Claire wants to assume a traditional woman's role.
(b) He knows that Claire wants to live in India.
(c) He sees that the quest of love is more important to her than the consummation.
(d) He knows that Harry is having an affair.
6. Adelaide has no time to do what?
(a) Think of herself when she's among people.
(b) Take care of her children.
(c) Take care of Claire's child.
(d) Fill a traditional female role.
7. During the embrace, what complaint does one character make about the others who have left the room?
(a) They don't appreciate her plants.
(b) They complain too much about temperature.
(c) They are always late to dinner.
(d) They will give her nothing.
8. What is Claire unable to explain regarding her experiment?
(a) She wants to create a never-before-seen color.
(b) There is hope in growth.
(c) She does not understand why the flower isn't blooming.
(d) She wants the experiment to fail.
9. What is Tom's condition when he arrives in the tower room?
(a) He is hesitant and does not enter the room.
(b) He is angry, pointing a gun at the others.
(c) He is out of breath.
(d) He is laughing.
10. Who joins Claire, Tom, and the third character in the tower?
(a) Dick, Adelaide, and the doctor.
(b) The doctor and Harry.
(c) The doctor and Adelaide.
(d) Dick and Adelaide.
11. What is the foundation of Claire's emotional state?
(a) She wants to spend more time with Adelaide.
(b) She wants to spend more time with Elizabeth.
(c) She needs something to hope for beyond what others are able to give.
(d) She has trouble sleeping.
12. What does Claire ask Harry to do when she goes downstairs?
(a) Play the music louder.
(b) Return to the tower room.
(c) Invite the doctor to dinner.
(d) Turn off the Victrola.
13. Which character practices meditation?
(d) The doctor.
14. Who calls to Tom for help through the tower window?
(c) The doctor.
15. Which character has the last name of Edgeworthy?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first character onstage in Act 2 doing?
2. Which two characters join the first character early in Act 2?
3. What does Harry realize after Claire begs another character to take her away?
4. What does the doctor prescribe for Claire?
5. Who suggests that everyone should go downstairs to dinner?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)