|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is the best description of the doctor?
(a) He rejects new Freudian theories.
(b) He rejects the belief that rest and isolation can help cure a hysterical patient.
(c) He specializes in botany.
(d) He is in love with Claire.
2. Which is the best description of Dick?
(a) A poet who writes sonnets.
(b) A gardener who loves Claire's plants.
(c) An artist who produces abstract drawings.
(d) An artist who produces realistic paintings.
3. Who joins Claire, Tom, and the third character in the tower?
(a) The doctor and Adelaide.
(b) Dick, Adelaide, and the doctor.
(c) Dick and Adelaide.
(d) The doctor and Harry.
4. Under what condition does Tom agree to stay?
(a) If Claire will show some affection to her daughter.
(b) If he can see the results of the experiment.
(c) If Claire will destroy the greenhouse.
(d) If Claire will apologize to Harry and Adelaide.
5. Why does Claire make the request of Harry?
(a) She no longer wants to be alone with Tom.
(b) Music calms her emotions.
(c) The Victrola is disturbing her concentration.
(d) She wants the doctor to help her.
6. Why is Tom the only one who truly loves Claire?
(a) He sees that the quest of love is more important to her than the consummation.
(b) He sees that Claire wants to assume a traditional woman's role.
(c) He knows that Claire wants to live in India.
(d) He knows that Harry is having an affair.
7. Who will be a guest at dinner?
(a) A minister.
(b) A botanist.
(c) A divorce attorney.
(d) A doctor.
8. What is the doctor's last name?
9. When Claire and Tom are alone in the tower, what does Claire admit?
(a) She loves only her plants.
(b) She loves Tom.
(c) She loves Dick and Harry.
(d) She loves Anthony.
10. What does Claire ask Harry to do when she goes downstairs?
(a) Play the music louder.
(b) Invite the doctor to dinner.
(c) Turn off the Victrola.
(d) Return to the tower room.
11. Who calls to Tom for help through the tower window?
(a) The doctor.
12. Which two characters join the first character early in Act 2?
(a) Harry and Elizabeth.
(b) Harry and the doctor.
(c) Harry and Adelaide.
(d) Elizabeth and Adelaide.
13. What is Tom's condition when he arrives in the tower room?
(a) He is hesitant and does not enter the room.
(b) He is angry, pointing a gun at the others.
(c) He is laughing.
(d) He is out of breath.
14. Why does a character apologize to Tom?
(a) Claire's call for help was meant for Dick.
(b) Claire's call for help was meant for Anthony.
(c) Claire's unreasonable behavior caused Tom to run upstairs.
(d) Harry's unreasonable behavior embarrassed Tom.
15. Who apologizes to Tom in Act 2?
(b) The doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire ask Tom to do in Act 2?
2. Who is the only character onstage at the beginning of Act 2?
3. How does Claire respond to Adelaide's accusations?
4. What does Tom say regarding what Claire has admitted?
5. Harry is aware of an attraction between Claire and which character?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)