|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which man loves Claire for her exterior self?
(a) The doctor.
2. Why does Claire make the request of Harry?
(a) She wants the doctor to help her.
(b) The Victrola is disturbing her concentration.
(c) She no longer wants to be alone with Tom.
(d) Music calms her emotions.
3. How does Claire respond to Adelaide's accusations?
(a) She faints.
(b) She cries.
(c) In an insolent manner.
(d) With embarrassment.
4. Who will be a guest at dinner?
(a) A minister.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A divorce attorney.
(d) A botanist.
5. What is the relationship between Claire and Adelaide?
(a) They are niece and aunt.
(b) They are mother and daughter.
(c) They are sisters.
(d) They are rivals for Harry's love.
6. During the embrace, what complaint does one character make about the others who have left the room?
(a) They complain too much about temperature.
(b) They don't appreciate her plants.
(c) They will give her nothing.
(d) They are always late to dinner.
7. Which is the best description of Harry?
(a) A pilot.
(b) A poet.
(c) A doctor.
(d) An artist.
8. What are Tom's emotions upon seeing that the person who called for help is fine?
(a) Relief and annoyance.
(b) Embarrassment and annoyance.
(c) Relief and good humor.
(d) Confusion and annoyance.
9. From what does Claire say she needs to be rescued?
(a) Being forced to work long hours in the greenhouse.
(b) Adelaide's attacks on her character and ways of thinking.
(c) Being trapped in a tower room.
(d) Being trapped in a house with no heat.
10. What is the relationship between Elizabeth and Adelaide?
(a) They are sisters.
(b) They are niece and aunt.
(c) They are mother and daughter.
(d) They are rivals for Tom's love.
11. Why does a character apologize to Tom?
(a) Claire's call for help was meant for Dick.
(b) Claire's unreasonable behavior caused Tom to run upstairs.
(c) Claire's call for help was meant for Anthony.
(d) Harry's unreasonable behavior embarrassed Tom.
12. Who enters the room after the doctor gives his advice?
13. What is Claire's opinion regarding typical female roles?
(a) She believes women are superior to men.
(b) She rejects such notions.
(c) She believes men are superior to women.
(d) She strives to fulfill her traditional role.
14. What does Tom say regarding what Claire has admitted?
(a) Their love cannot be acted upon.
(b) It is wrong to love more than one man.
(c) She should stop focusing on the plants.
(d) She should divorce her husband.
15. Who tells Claire about the dinner guest?
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that everyone should go downstairs to dinner?
2. Which character's behavior represents the unrest of many women in the U.S. as the Women's Rights Movement begins to take root?
3. How many children does Adelaide have?
4. Harry is aware of an attraction between Claire and which character?
5. What is the first character onstage in Act 2 doing?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)