|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Elizabeth?
(a) Harry and Claire's daughter.
(b) Harry's daughter from a previous marriage.
(c) Claire's sister.
(d) Claire's daughter from a previous marriage.
2. What does Harry confide to the first house guest?
(a) Claire is having an affair.
(b) Claire has hidden the salt and pepper.
(c) He no longer loves Claire.
(d) He is considering having a doctor friend observe Claire's behavior.
3. What is the special plant about to do?
(a) Go to seed.
(b) Be transplanted.
4. From where does the beam of light originate?
(b) From the left.
(c) A trap door in the floor.
(d) From a plant.
5. Who rescues Elizabeth from being struck?
6. What does Tom advise Harry to do?
(a) Find out who Claire's lover is.
(b) Let Claire go on as she is.
(c) Divorce Claire since he no longer loves her.
(d) Destroy the plants.
7. What happens after the first character onstage exits?
(a) The telephone rings.
(b) The curtain closes.
(c) The greenhouse door opens.
(d) The unusual-looking plant dies.
8. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Because a plant is dying.
(b) Because the greenhouse is too hot.
(c) Because Harry invited more people to intrude upon the greenhouse.
(d) Because the special plant is in plain sight.
9. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth, what does Claire want to do?
(a) Destroy all plants in the greenhouse.
(b) Destroy "The Edge Vine."
(c) Destroy "The Edge of Death."
(d) Destroy "The Breath of Life."
10. Why does Claire caution Tom to be careful?
(a) Harry is not far away.
(b) God is not far away.
(c) The plants are listening.
(d) Dick is listening.
11. What is the second sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(a) A conversation.
(b) A buzzer.
12. Who is the first character to come onstage in Act 1?
13. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Kiss her.
(b) Retrieve salt from the house.
(c) Put away his gun.
(d) Retrieve pepper from the house.
14. Claire tries to strike Elizabeth with what?
(a) A flowerpot.
(b) "The Edge Vine."
(c) A trowel.
(d) A salt shaker.
15. What does Claire say after Elizabeth exits?
(a) Darkness has descended.
(b) She feels light now.
(c) The plants must be destroyed.
(d) She does not love Elizabeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elizabeth's philosophy regarding new plant varieties?
2. What is the relationship between Harry and Claire?
3. Why can't the second house guest enter the greenhouse?
4. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
5. Who tries to get Claire to come to the phone upon Elizabeth's arrival?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)