|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which plant is not thriving?
(a) "The Edge Vine."
(b) "The Life Vine."
(c) "The Breath of Life."
(d) "The Breath of Death."
2. Who is the only character onstage when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
3. What does the interior of the greenhouse symbolize?
(a) The interior of Claire's heart.
(b) Tom and Claire's relationship.
(c) The interior of the house.
(d) Harry and Claire's relationship.
4. Which is the best description of Hattie?
(a) A gardener.
(b) A house guest.
(c) A maid.
(d) Wife of Harry.
5. Why didn't Anthony answer the buzz from Harry?
(a) Hattie answered the buzz.
(b) Claire had instructed Anthony to answer no buzz but hers.
(c) Anthony didn't hear the buzzer.
(d) Harry didn't buzz Anthony.
6. What happens after the first character onstage exits?
(a) The curtain closes.
(b) The telephone rings.
(c) The greenhouse door opens.
(d) The unusual-looking plant dies.
7. Why is the first house guest uncomfortable?
(a) Worries about the state of the greenhouse due to the blizzard.
(b) Worries about the state of the greenhouse due to the dying plant.
(c) Worries about the state of the household due to the missing salt.
(d) Worries about the state of the household due to the missing pepper.
8. What does Claire try to explain to the men over breakfast?
(a) Why she is unhappy in her marriage.
(b) Why there is no heat in the house.
(c) Why she doesn't spend more time with her daughter.
(d) The joy of letting things grow without restriction.
9. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
(a) A dead plant.
(b) A huge plant, clinging to the back wall.
(c) A broken window.
(d) A gun.
10. What does the blizzard symbolize?
(a) Ideas and creativity.
(b) Outside forces.
11. What is the first sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(c) A conversation.
(d) A buzzer.
12. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
(a) Outdoors in a blizzard, with a greenhouse visible.
(b) A room in a tower.
(c) An unusual plant in a shaft of light.
(d) The interior of a greenhouse on a sunny, snowy morning.
13. What does Tom confide to Dick?
(a) He is having an affair.
(b) He loves Claire.
(c) He loves Claire's daughter.
(d) He is divorcing Claire.
14. What does Tom advise Harry to do?
(a) Let Claire go on as she is.
(b) Find out who Claire's lover is.
(c) Divorce Claire since he no longer loves her.
(d) Destroy the plants.
15. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
(a) Why the pepper is missing.
(b) The significance of the greenhouse plants.
(c) The effects of the blizzard on the greenhouse.
(d) Why the salt is missing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire say after Elizabeth exits?
2. Who is the first character to come onstage in Act 1?
3. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
4. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
5. What does the second house guest have in his hand when he first arrives?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)