|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is the best description of Hattie?
(a) A maid.
(b) A gardener.
(c) Wife of Harry.
(d) A house guest.
2. What does the interior of the greenhouse symbolize?
(a) The interior of Claire's heart.
(b) Harry and Claire's relationship.
(c) Tom and Claire's relationship.
(d) The interior of the house.
3. Harry and the first house guest have a discussion about what?
(c) "The Edge Vine."
(d) The blizzard.
4. Who are Tom and Dick?
(b) House guests.
(c) Brothers of Harry.
(d) Brothers of Anthony.
5. What does Claire ask Tom to do?
(a) Say something evil about God.
(b) Say something evil about the plants.
(c) Say something pleasant about God.
(d) Say something pleasant about the plants.
6. Why does Claire caution Tom to be careful?
(a) God is not far away.
(b) Dick is listening.
(c) The plants are listening.
(d) Harry is not far away.
7. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
8. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
(a) A broken window.
(b) A dead plant.
(c) A huge plant, clinging to the back wall.
(d) A gun.
9. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Retrieve pepper from the house.
(b) Put away his gun.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Retrieve salt from the house.
10. Who is Elizabeth?
(a) Harry's daughter from a previous marriage.
(b) Claire's daughter from a previous marriage.
(c) Harry and Claire's daughter.
(d) Claire's sister.
11. Which is the best description of Anthony?
(a) Husband of Claire.
(b) A young man.
(c) A house guest.
(d) A middle-aged man.
12. What does Tom confide to Dick?
(a) He loves Claire's daughter.
(b) He is divorcing Claire.
(c) He is having an affair.
(d) He loves Claire.
13. How does Anthony try to distract Claire from worrying about the plant that is not thriving?
(a) Reminding her that the salt is missing.
(b) Reminding her that they can save the plant.
(c) Reminding her what "The Edge Vine" is about to do.
(d) Reminding her what "The Breath of Life" is about to do.
14. What does Claire want Elizabeth to do regarding the plants?
(a) Tend only the special plant.
(b) Wait until tomorrow to see what will happen.
(c) Tend all of the plants.
(d) Not get involved.
15. In the second part of Act 1, who enters after Harry exits?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the blizzard symbolize?
2. What does Harry help Hattie to do when he returns during the second part of Act 1?
3. What is the relationship between Harry and Claire?
4. What is the first thing the audience sees in Act 1?
5. Who is the first character to come onstage in Act 1?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)