|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character joins the first character after the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
2. What is the first sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(a) A buzzer.
(c) A conversation.
3. Why can't the second house guest enter the greenhouse?
(a) Anthony has locked the door.
(b) Hattie has locked the door.
(c) Claire has locked the door.
(d) The door is frozen shut.
4. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
(a) A room in a tower.
(b) Outdoors in a blizzard, with a greenhouse visible.
(c) The interior of a greenhouse on a sunny, snowy morning.
(d) An unusual plant in a shaft of light.
5. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
(a) A broken window.
(b) A dead plant.
(c) A huge plant, clinging to the back wall.
(d) A gun.
6. Where does Tom intend to go?
7. Who is the only character onstage when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
8. Which best describes the number of plants in the greenhouse?
(a) There are three plants.
(b) There are two plants.
(c) There are two living plants and one dead plant.
(d) Plants are placed on every available shelf and nook.
9. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
10. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Put away his gun.
(b) Retrieve salt from the house.
(c) Retrieve pepper from the house.
(d) Kiss her.
11. What does Claire say after Elizabeth exits?
(a) Darkness has descended.
(b) She feels light now.
(c) She does not love Elizabeth.
(d) The plants must be destroyed.
12. What does Claire want Elizabeth to do regarding the plants?
(a) Tend only the special plant.
(b) Wait until tomorrow to see what will happen.
(c) Not get involved.
(d) Tend all of the plants.
13. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Because the special plant is in plain sight.
(b) Because a plant is dying.
(c) Because the greenhouse is too hot.
(d) Because Harry invited more people to intrude upon the greenhouse.
14. What does Harry help Hattie to do when he returns during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Tend to the plants.
(b) Greet the houseguests.
(c) Prepare breakfast.
(d) Lock the greenhouse door.
15. Who are Tom and Dick?
(a) Brothers of Harry.
(b) House guests.
(c) Brothers of Anthony.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the best description of Anthony?
2. What is the first thing the audience sees in Act 1?
3. What do the random growth patterns of the plants represent?
4. What does Claire try to explain to the men over breakfast?
5. From where does the beam of light originate?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)