|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first character to come onstage in Act 1?
2. Why can't the second house guest enter the greenhouse?
(a) Hattie has locked the door.
(b) Claire has locked the door.
(c) The door is frozen shut.
(d) Anthony has locked the door.
3. Where does Tom intend to go?
4. Who is Elizabeth?
(a) Harry's daughter from a previous marriage.
(b) Claire's sister.
(c) Claire's daughter from a previous marriage.
(d) Harry and Claire's daughter.
5. What does the second house guest bring from the house?
(a) A gun.
6. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
(a) "The Edge of Death"
(b) "The Breath of Life."
(c) "The Edge Vine."
(d) "The Breath Vine."
7. Who is the only character onstage when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
8. What does Tom advise Harry to do?
(a) Let Claire go on as she is.
(b) Divorce Claire since he no longer loves her.
(c) Destroy the plants.
(d) Find out who Claire's lover is.
9. What does Claire ask Tom to do?
(a) Say something pleasant about God.
(b) Say something evil about God.
(c) Say something evil about the plants.
(d) Say something pleasant about the plants.
10. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
(a) A room in a tower.
(b) Outdoors in a blizzard, with a greenhouse visible.
(c) An unusual plant in a shaft of light.
(d) The interior of a greenhouse on a sunny, snowy morning.
11. What does Tom confide to Dick?
(a) He is divorcing Claire.
(b) He is having an affair.
(c) He loves Claire's daughter.
(d) He loves Claire.
12. Which is the best description of Hattie?
(a) A house guest.
(b) A maid.
(c) Wife of Harry.
(d) A gardener.
13. What is the relationship between Harry and Claire?
(a) Gardener and employer.
(b) Brother and sister.
(c) Employer and maid.
(d) Husband and wife.
14. Who worries that the cold weather will have adverse effects on the plants?
(b) Anthony and Harry.
15. What does Harry help Hattie to do when he returns during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Greet the houseguests.
(b) Prepare breakfast.
(c) Tend to the plants.
(d) Lock the greenhouse door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the blizzard symbolize?
2. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
3. Why is the first house guest uncomfortable?
4. Who brings Elizabeth to the greenhouse?
5. What does Claire push off the table?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)