|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
(a) The greenhouse retains heat better than the house does.
(b) Harry ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
(c) The furnace is broken.
(d) Claire ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
2. Who requested that breakfast be served in the greenhouse?
3. Which character joins the first character after the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
4. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
(a) "The Edge Vine."
(b) "The Edge of Death"
(c) "The Breath Vine."
(d) "The Breath of Life."
5. What is the first thing the audience sees in Act 1?
(a) A telephone.
(b) An unusual-looking plant.
(c) A greenhouse.
(d) A blizzard.
6. What does Harry help Hattie to do when he returns during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Greet the houseguests.
(b) Tend to the plants.
(c) Lock the greenhouse door.
(d) Prepare breakfast.
7. Which best describes the number of plants in the greenhouse?
(a) Plants are placed on every available shelf and nook.
(b) There are two living plants and one dead plant.
(c) There are three plants.
(d) There are two plants.
8. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth, what does Claire want to do?
(a) Destroy "The Edge of Death."
(b) Destroy "The Edge Vine."
(c) Destroy "The Breath of Life."
(d) Destroy all plants in the greenhouse.
9. In the second part of Act 1, who enters after Harry exits?
10. How does Anthony try to distract Claire from worrying about the plant that is not thriving?
(a) Reminding her what "The Breath of Life" is about to do.
(b) Reminding her that the salt is missing.
(c) Reminding her what "The Edge Vine" is about to do.
(d) Reminding her that they can save the plant.
11. What is the second sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(b) A conversation.
(d) A buzzer.
12. What is the relationship between Harry and Claire?
(a) Husband and wife.
(b) Gardener and employer.
(c) Employer and maid.
(d) Brother and sister.
13. Who tries to get Claire to come to the phone upon Elizabeth's arrival?
14. What does Claire ask Tom to do?
(a) Say something evil about God.
(b) Say something pleasant about God.
(c) Say something evil about the plants.
(d) Say something pleasant about the plants.
15. What happens after the first character onstage exits?
(a) The curtain closes.
(b) The greenhouse door opens.
(c) The telephone rings.
(d) The unusual-looking plant dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry confide to the two house guests after Claire exits?
2. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
3. Why is the first house guest uncomfortable?
4. Who is the only character onstage when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
5. What is the first sound the audience hears in Act 1?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)