|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claire try to explain to the men over breakfast?
(a) Why she is unhappy in her marriage.
(b) The joy of letting things grow without restriction.
(c) Why there is no heat in the house.
(d) Why she doesn't spend more time with her daughter.
2. Which character joins the first character after the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
3. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
(a) A huge plant, clinging to the back wall.
(b) A dead plant.
(c) A broken window.
(d) A gun.
4. In the second part of Act 1, who enters after Harry exits?
5. Which is the best description of Claire and Elizabeth's reunion?
(a) They embrace awkwardly.
(b) They stay on opposite sides of the room.
(c) They tend plants together.
(d) They laugh together at a private joke.
6. Which is the best description of Hattie?
(a) A house guest.
(b) Wife of Harry.
(c) A gardener.
(d) A maid.
7. What does Claire say after Elizabeth exits?
(a) The plants must be destroyed.
(b) She does not love Elizabeth.
(c) She feels light now.
(d) Darkness has descended.
8. What is the second sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(c) A conversation.
(d) A buzzer.
9. Claire tries to strike Elizabeth with what?
(a) A salt shaker.
(b) "The Edge Vine."
(c) A flowerpot.
(d) A trowel.
10. What does Tom confide to Dick?
(a) He loves Claire's daughter.
(b) He loves Claire.
(c) He is divorcing Claire.
(d) He is having an affair.
11. What is the first thing the audience sees in Act 1?
(a) A greenhouse.
(b) A blizzard.
(c) An unusual-looking plant.
(d) A telephone.
12. What is the special plant about to do?
(b) Go to seed.
(d) Be transplanted.
13. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
14. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
(a) The effects of the blizzard on the greenhouse.
(b) Why the pepper is missing.
(c) The significance of the greenhouse plants.
(d) Why the salt is missing.
15. Which is the best description of Anthony?
(a) A young man.
(b) A house guest.
(c) A middle-aged man.
(d) Husband of Claire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the first house guest uncomfortable?
2. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
3. What does Harry confide to the first house guest?
4. What does Harry confide to the two house guests after Claire exits?
5. What are Anthony's specific instructions?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)