|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Claire caution Tom to be careful?
(a) Harry is not far away.
(b) God is not far away.
(c) The plants are listening.
(d) Dick is listening.
2. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
3. What does the interior of the greenhouse symbolize?
(a) Harry and Claire's relationship.
(b) The interior of Claire's heart.
(c) Tom and Claire's relationship.
(d) The interior of the house.
4. What does Claire ask Tom to do?
(a) Say something pleasant about the plants.
(b) Say something pleasant about God.
(c) Say something evil about the plants.
(d) Say something evil about God.
5. Why can't the second house guest enter the greenhouse?
(a) Claire has locked the door.
(b) Hattie has locked the door.
(c) The door is frozen shut.
(d) Anthony has locked the door.
6. Who is the only character onstage when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
7. What is the first thing the audience sees in Act 1?
(a) A blizzard.
(b) A telephone.
(c) An unusual-looking plant.
(d) A greenhouse.
8. Which best describes the number of plants in the greenhouse?
(a) There are two living plants and one dead plant.
(b) There are three plants.
(c) Plants are placed on every available shelf and nook.
(d) There are two plants.
9. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Retrieve salt from the house.
(b) Kiss her.
(c) Put away his gun.
(d) Retrieve pepper from the house.
10. What does Claire want Elizabeth to do regarding the plants?
(a) Tend only the special plant.
(b) Wait until tomorrow to see what will happen.
(c) Not get involved.
(d) Tend all of the plants.
11. What is Elizabeth's philosophy regarding new plant varieties?
(a) She likes only roses.
(b) New plants are always exciting.
(c) Plants should never be hybridized.
(d) Anything new should be better.
12. Where does Tom intend to go?
13. What does the second house guest do when he sees that no one can help him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Pretends to shoot himself.
(b) Drops the shaker.
(c) Pretends to shoot out the greenhouse door.
(d) Drops the breakfast supplies.
14. What does Claire say after Elizabeth exits?
(a) She does not love Elizabeth.
(b) She feels light now.
(c) Darkness has descended.
(d) The plants must be destroyed.
15. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
(a) The effects of the blizzard on the greenhouse.
(b) Why the salt is missing.
(c) The significance of the greenhouse plants.
(d) Why the pepper is missing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the second part of Act 1, who enters after Harry exits?
2. Why is the first house guest uncomfortable?
3. What happens after the first character onstage exits?
4. What is the second sound the audience hears in Act 1?
5. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)