|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
(a) An unusual plant in a shaft of light.
(b) The interior of a greenhouse on a sunny, snowy morning.
(c) Outdoors in a blizzard, with a greenhouse visible.
(d) A room in a tower.
2. Who is the second house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
3. Why didn't Anthony answer the buzz from Harry?
(a) Hattie answered the buzz.
(b) Anthony didn't hear the buzzer.
(c) Claire had instructed Anthony to answer no buzz but hers.
(d) Harry didn't buzz Anthony.
4. What does the second house guest have in his hand when he first arrives?
(a) Supplies for breakfast.
(b) A pepper shaker.
(c) A salt shaker.
(d) A gun.
5. Where does Tom intend to go?
6. What does the second house guest do when he sees that no one can help him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Pretends to shoot himself.
(b) Pretends to shoot out the greenhouse door.
(c) Drops the shaker.
(d) Drops the breakfast supplies.
7. Which is the best description of Claire and Elizabeth's reunion?
(a) They stay on opposite sides of the room.
(b) They tend plants together.
(c) They laugh together at a private joke.
(d) They embrace awkwardly.
8. What do the random growth patterns of the plants represent?
(b) Ideas and creativity.
(d) Outside forces.
9. What does Tom confide to Dick?
(a) He loves Claire's daughter.
(b) He loves Claire.
(c) He is divorcing Claire.
(d) He is having an affair.
10. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Because Harry invited more people to intrude upon the greenhouse.
(b) Because the greenhouse is too hot.
(c) Because a plant is dying.
(d) Because the special plant is in plain sight.
11. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
(a) "The Edge Vine."
(b) "The Edge of Death"
(c) "The Breath of Life."
(d) "The Breath Vine."
12. Why is the first house guest uncomfortable?
(a) Worries about the state of the greenhouse due to the dying plant.
(b) Worries about the state of the household due to the missing salt.
(c) Worries about the state of the greenhouse due to the blizzard.
(d) Worries about the state of the household due to the missing pepper.
13. Why can't the second house guest enter the greenhouse?
(a) Anthony has locked the door.
(b) Hattie has locked the door.
(c) The door is frozen shut.
(d) Claire has locked the door.
14. Which best describes the number of plants in the greenhouse?
(a) There are two plants.
(b) Plants are placed on every available shelf and nook.
(c) There are three plants.
(d) There are two living plants and one dead plant.
15. Who rescues Elizabeth from being struck?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
2. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
3. What does Harry help Hattie to do when he returns during the second part of Act 1?
4. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
5. Claire tries to strike Elizabeth with what?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)