|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Harry and Claire?
(a) Husband and wife.
(b) Employer and maid.
(c) Brother and sister.
(d) Gardener and employer.
2. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Because the special plant is in plain sight.
(b) Because the greenhouse is too hot.
(c) Because a plant is dying.
(d) Because Harry invited more people to intrude upon the greenhouse.
3. What does Tom confide to Dick?
(a) He is having an affair.
(b) He is divorcing Claire.
(c) He loves Claire's daughter.
(d) He loves Claire.
4. What is the special plant about to do?
(a) Go to seed.
(b) Be transplanted.
5. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Retrieve pepper from the house.
(b) Kiss her.
(c) Put away his gun.
(d) Retrieve salt from the house.
6. Which best describes the number of plants in the greenhouse?
(a) There are two living plants and one dead plant.
(b) There are two plants.
(c) There are three plants.
(d) Plants are placed on every available shelf and nook.
7. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
(a) The furnace is broken.
(b) Claire ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
(c) Harry ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
(d) The greenhouse retains heat better than the house does.
8. What does the first character do after coming onstage?
(a) Prepare breakfast.
(b) Answer a telephone.
(c) Press a buzzer.
(d) Lock the greenhouse door.
9. Which is the best description of Hattie?
(a) Wife of Harry.
(b) A gardener.
(c) A maid.
(d) A house guest.
10. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
(a) The effects of the blizzard on the greenhouse.
(b) Why the salt is missing.
(c) The significance of the greenhouse plants.
(d) Why the pepper is missing.
11. Who are Tom and Dick?
(a) House guests.
(b) Brothers of Harry.
(c) Brothers of Anthony.
12. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
13. Which character joins the first character after the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
14. What is the second sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(c) A buzzer.
(d) A conversation.
15. Who is the first character to come onstage in Act 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the second house guest bring from the house?
2. Why does Claire caution Tom to be careful?
3. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
4. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
5. Why is the first house guest uncomfortable?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)