|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who brings Elizabeth to the greenhouse?
2. Who are Tom and Dick?
(a) Brothers of Harry.
(c) Brothers of Anthony.
(d) House guests.
3. Which plant is not thriving?
(a) "The Edge Vine."
(b) "The Breath of Life."
(c) "The Breath of Death."
(d) "The Life Vine."
4. What does Harry confide to the first house guest?
(a) He is considering having a doctor friend observe Claire's behavior.
(b) Claire is having an affair.
(c) He no longer loves Claire.
(d) Claire has hidden the salt and pepper.
5. Which is the best description of Claire and Elizabeth's reunion?
(a) They laugh together at a private joke.
(b) They stay on opposite sides of the room.
(c) They embrace awkwardly.
(d) They tend plants together.
6. What is the relationship between Harry and Claire?
(a) Gardener and employer.
(b) Brother and sister.
(c) Husband and wife.
(d) Employer and maid.
7. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
(a) The interior of a greenhouse on a sunny, snowy morning.
(b) Outdoors in a blizzard, with a greenhouse visible.
(c) An unusual plant in a shaft of light.
(d) A room in a tower.
8. What does the blizzard symbolize?
(b) Outside forces.
(c) Ideas and creativity.
9. Who is the only character onstage when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
10. Who is Elizabeth?
(a) Harry and Claire's daughter.
(b) Claire's sister.
(c) Claire's daughter from a previous marriage.
(d) Harry's daughter from a previous marriage.
11. Why can't the second house guest enter the greenhouse?
(a) The door is frozen shut.
(b) Hattie has locked the door.
(c) Claire has locked the door.
(d) Anthony has locked the door.
12. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Retrieve salt from the house.
(b) Kiss her.
(c) Retrieve pepper from the house.
(d) Put away his gun.
13. What does Claire want Elizabeth to do regarding the plants?
(a) Not get involved.
(b) Tend all of the plants.
(c) Wait until tomorrow to see what will happen.
(d) Tend only the special plant.
14. What does the first character do after coming onstage?
(a) Press a buzzer.
(b) Lock the greenhouse door.
(c) Prepare breakfast.
(d) Answer a telephone.
15. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
(a) The effects of the blizzard on the greenhouse.
(b) The significance of the greenhouse plants.
(c) Why the pepper is missing.
(d) Why the salt is missing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elizabeth's philosophy regarding new plant varieties?
2. What do the random growth patterns of the plants represent?
3. Who rescues Elizabeth from being struck?
4. What does the second house guest bring from the house?
5. What is the first sound the audience hears in Act 1?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)