|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing the audience sees in Act 1?
(a) A greenhouse.
(b) An unusual-looking plant.
(c) A telephone.
(d) A blizzard.
2. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth, what does Claire want to do?
(a) Destroy "The Edge Vine."
(b) Destroy "The Breath of Life."
(c) Destroy all plants in the greenhouse.
(d) Destroy "The Edge of Death."
3. Which is the best description of Claire and Elizabeth's reunion?
(a) They embrace awkwardly.
(b) They laugh together at a private joke.
(c) They tend plants together.
(d) They stay on opposite sides of the room.
4. What does the interior of the greenhouse symbolize?
(a) The interior of Claire's heart.
(b) The interior of the house.
(c) Harry and Claire's relationship.
(d) Tom and Claire's relationship.
5. What does Harry confide to the two house guests after Claire exits?
(a) He hopes to get advice from them regarding Claire.
(b) He believes Claire is having an affair.
(c) He no longer loves Claire.
(d) He does not want Claire to spend time with her daughter.
6. Which plant is not thriving?
(a) "The Breath of Death."
(b) "The Life Vine."
(c) "The Edge Vine."
(d) "The Breath of Life."
7. What happens after the first character onstage exits?
(a) The unusual-looking plant dies.
(b) The telephone rings.
(c) The curtain closes.
(d) The greenhouse door opens.
8. Who tries to get Claire to come to the phone upon Elizabeth's arrival?
9. What is the second sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(a) A buzzer.
(d) A conversation.
10. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Because the greenhouse is too hot.
(b) Because a plant is dying.
(c) Because the special plant is in plain sight.
(d) Because Harry invited more people to intrude upon the greenhouse.
11. Who is the second house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
12. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
(a) The interior of a greenhouse on a sunny, snowy morning.
(b) An unusual plant in a shaft of light.
(c) Outdoors in a blizzard, with a greenhouse visible.
(d) A room in a tower.
13. What does Tom confide to Dick?
(a) He is divorcing Claire.
(b) He loves Claire.
(c) He loves Claire's daughter.
(d) He is having an affair.
14. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
(a) The greenhouse retains heat better than the house does.
(b) Harry ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
(c) Claire ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
(d) The furnace is broken.
15. Why does Claire caution Tom to be careful?
(a) Harry is not far away.
(b) The plants are listening.
(c) Dick is listening.
(d) God is not far away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire want Elizabeth to do regarding the plants?
2. What does the blizzard symbolize?
3. Who requested that breakfast be served in the greenhouse?
4. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
5. What does Harry confide to the first house guest?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)