|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Tom and Dick?
(b) Brothers of Anthony.
(c) Brothers of Harry.
(d) House guests.
2. Who is the first character to come onstage in Act 1?
3. What do the random growth patterns of the plants represent?
(a) Ideas and creativity.
(c) Outside forces.
4. Who is the only character onstage when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
5. What does Claire say after Elizabeth exits?
(a) Darkness has descended.
(b) The plants must be destroyed.
(c) She feels light now.
(d) She does not love Elizabeth.
6. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
(a) "The Edge of Death"
(b) "The Breath of Life."
(c) "The Breath Vine."
(d) "The Edge Vine."
7. Why can't the second house guest enter the greenhouse?
(a) Claire has locked the door.
(b) The door is frozen shut.
(c) Anthony has locked the door.
(d) Hattie has locked the door.
8. Claire tries to strike Elizabeth with what?
(a) A flowerpot.
(b) A salt shaker.
(c) "The Edge Vine."
(d) A trowel.
9. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
(a) A room in a tower.
(b) An unusual plant in a shaft of light.
(c) Outdoors in a blizzard, with a greenhouse visible.
(d) The interior of a greenhouse on a sunny, snowy morning.
10. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
(a) Harry ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
(b) Claire ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
(c) The furnace is broken.
(d) The greenhouse retains heat better than the house does.
11. What happens after the first character onstage exits?
(a) The telephone rings.
(b) The greenhouse door opens.
(c) The curtain closes.
(d) The unusual-looking plant dies.
12. What does Harry confide to the two house guests after Claire exits?
(a) He believes Claire is having an affair.
(b) He hopes to get advice from them regarding Claire.
(c) He does not want Claire to spend time with her daughter.
(d) He no longer loves Claire.
13. Who requested that breakfast be served in the greenhouse?
14. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Put away his gun.
(b) Kiss her.
(c) Retrieve pepper from the house.
(d) Retrieve salt from the house.
15. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings Elizabeth to the greenhouse?
2. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
3. What is Elizabeth's philosophy regarding new plant varieties?
4. What does the second house guest do when he sees that no one can help him enter the greenhouse?
5. What is the special plant about to do?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)