|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claire push off the table?
(a) An egg.
(d) A plant.
2. Who requested that breakfast be served in the greenhouse?
3. Which is the best description of Anthony?
(a) A middle-aged man.
(b) A young man.
(c) Husband of Claire.
(d) A house guest.
4. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
(a) The significance of the greenhouse plants.
(b) Why the salt is missing.
(c) The effects of the blizzard on the greenhouse.
(d) Why the pepper is missing.
5. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
(a) A dead plant.
(b) A huge plant, clinging to the back wall.
(c) A gun.
(d) A broken window.
6. What does the second house guest do when he sees that no one can help him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Pretends to shoot out the greenhouse door.
(b) Pretends to shoot himself.
(c) Drops the shaker.
(d) Drops the breakfast supplies.
7. What is the second sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(b) A buzzer.
(c) A conversation.
8. Which is the best description of Hattie?
(a) Wife of Harry.
(b) A house guest.
(c) A gardener.
(d) A maid.
9. What does the interior of the greenhouse symbolize?
(a) Harry and Claire's relationship.
(b) The interior of the house.
(c) The interior of Claire's heart.
(d) Tom and Claire's relationship.
10. What does Claire say after Elizabeth exits?
(a) She does not love Elizabeth.
(b) She feels light now.
(c) The plants must be destroyed.
(d) Darkness has descended.
11. What does Claire ask Tom to do?
(a) Say something evil about the plants.
(b) Say something evil about God.
(c) Say something pleasant about the plants.
(d) Say something pleasant about God.
12. How does Anthony try to distract Claire from worrying about the plant that is not thriving?
(a) Reminding her what "The Breath of Life" is about to do.
(b) Reminding her what "The Edge Vine" is about to do.
(c) Reminding her that the salt is missing.
(d) Reminding her that they can save the plant.
13. What is Elizabeth's philosophy regarding new plant varieties?
(a) She likes only roses.
(b) New plants are always exciting.
(c) Plants should never be hybridized.
(d) Anything new should be better.
14. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth, what does Claire want to do?
(a) Destroy "The Edge Vine."
(b) Destroy "The Edge of Death."
(c) Destroy all plants in the greenhouse.
(d) Destroy "The Breath of Life."
15. In the second part of Act 1, who enters after Harry exits?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claire caution Tom to be careful?
2. Who brings Elizabeth to the greenhouse?
3. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
4. What does Claire want Elizabeth to do regarding the plants?
5. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)