|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Tom intend to go?
2. Which plant is not thriving?
(a) "The Breath of Life."
(b) "The Life Vine."
(c) "The Breath of Death."
(d) "The Edge Vine."
3. What do the random growth patterns of the plants represent?
(a) Outside forces.
(b) Ideas and creativity.
4. Which best describes the number of plants in the greenhouse?
(a) There are two plants.
(b) There are three plants.
(c) There are two living plants and one dead plant.
(d) Plants are placed on every available shelf and nook.
5. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Retrieve pepper from the house.
(b) Kiss her.
(c) Retrieve salt from the house.
(d) Put away his gun.
6. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Because the special plant is in plain sight.
(b) Because a plant is dying.
(c) Because the greenhouse is too hot.
(d) Because Harry invited more people to intrude upon the greenhouse.
7. What does the first character do after coming onstage?
(a) Lock the greenhouse door.
(b) Prepare breakfast.
(c) Press a buzzer.
(d) Answer a telephone.
8. Who is Elizabeth?
(a) Claire's sister.
(b) Harry's daughter from a previous marriage.
(c) Harry and Claire's daughter.
(d) Claire's daughter from a previous marriage.
9. Who tries to get Claire to come to the phone upon Elizabeth's arrival?
10. Why can't the second house guest enter the greenhouse?
(a) Claire has locked the door.
(b) The door is frozen shut.
(c) Hattie has locked the door.
(d) Anthony has locked the door.
11. Who rescues Elizabeth from being struck?
12. Who is the first character to come onstage in Act 1?
13. What is the first thing the audience sees in Act 1?
(a) An unusual-looking plant.
(b) A blizzard.
(c) A greenhouse.
(d) A telephone.
14. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
(a) An unusual plant in a shaft of light.
(b) Outdoors in a blizzard, with a greenhouse visible.
(c) The interior of a greenhouse on a sunny, snowy morning.
(d) A room in a tower.
15. Who worries that the cold weather will have adverse effects on the plants?
(c) Anthony and Harry.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does the beam of light originate?
2. What does the interior of the greenhouse symbolize?
3. What does Tom confide to Dick?
4. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
5. Who is the only character onstage when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)