|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only character onstage when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
2. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
3. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
(a) "The Edge Vine."
(b) "The Breath Vine."
(c) "The Edge of Death"
(d) "The Breath of Life."
4. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth, what does Claire want to do?
(a) Destroy "The Edge Vine."
(b) Destroy "The Edge of Death."
(c) Destroy "The Breath of Life."
(d) Destroy all plants in the greenhouse.
5. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Put away his gun.
(b) Retrieve salt from the house.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Retrieve pepper from the house.
6. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
(a) The effects of the blizzard on the greenhouse.
(b) Why the salt is missing.
(c) Why the pepper is missing.
(d) The significance of the greenhouse plants.
7. Who requested that breakfast be served in the greenhouse?
8. What does the second house guest have in his hand when he first arrives?
(a) A salt shaker.
(b) A gun.
(c) A pepper shaker.
(d) Supplies for breakfast.
9. Who tries to get Claire to come to the phone upon Elizabeth's arrival?
10. What does Claire push off the table?
(a) A plant.
(c) An egg.
11. Where does Tom intend to go?
12. Who are Tom and Dick?
(a) House guests.
(b) Brothers of Harry.
(c) Brothers of Anthony.
13. From where does the beam of light originate?
(a) From a plant.
(b) A trap door in the floor.
(c) From the left.
14. What does Claire want Elizabeth to do regarding the plants?
(a) Not get involved.
(b) Tend only the special plant.
(c) Wait until tomorrow to see what will happen.
(d) Tend all of the plants.
15. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
(a) The furnace is broken.
(b) Harry ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
(c) The greenhouse retains heat better than the house does.
(d) Claire ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire ask Tom to do?
2. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
3. What do the random growth patterns of the plants represent?
4. How does Anthony try to distract Claire from worrying about the plant that is not thriving?
5. What is the first thing the audience sees in Act 1?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)