|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
(a) A room in a tower.
(b) The interior of a greenhouse on a sunny, snowy morning.
(c) Outdoors in a blizzard, with a greenhouse visible.
(d) An unusual plant in a shaft of light.
2. What does Harry confide to the two house guests after Claire exits?
(a) He hopes to get advice from them regarding Claire.
(b) He does not want Claire to spend time with her daughter.
(c) He believes Claire is having an affair.
(d) He no longer loves Claire.
3. Why didn't Anthony answer the buzz from Harry?
(a) Harry didn't buzz Anthony.
(b) Claire had instructed Anthony to answer no buzz but hers.
(c) Hattie answered the buzz.
(d) Anthony didn't hear the buzzer.
4. What does Claire try to explain to the men over breakfast?
(a) Why there is no heat in the house.
(b) Why she is unhappy in her marriage.
(c) The joy of letting things grow without restriction.
(d) Why she doesn't spend more time with her daughter.
5. Who requested that breakfast be served in the greenhouse?
6. Why can't the second house guest enter the greenhouse?
(a) Claire has locked the door.
(b) Anthony has locked the door.
(c) The door is frozen shut.
(d) Hattie has locked the door.
7. What happens after the first character onstage exits?
(a) The greenhouse door opens.
(b) The unusual-looking plant dies.
(c) The curtain closes.
(d) The telephone rings.
8. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
(a) A huge plant, clinging to the back wall.
(b) A dead plant.
(c) A gun.
(d) A broken window.
9. What does Claire push off the table?
(c) An egg.
(d) A plant.
10. From where does the beam of light originate?
(a) A trap door in the floor.
(b) From the left.
(d) From a plant.
11. What does Tom confide to Dick?
(a) He loves Claire's daughter.
(b) He is having an affair.
(c) He loves Claire.
(d) He is divorcing Claire.
12. What does Tom advise Harry to do?
(a) Find out who Claire's lover is.
(b) Destroy the plants.
(c) Divorce Claire since he no longer loves her.
(d) Let Claire go on as she is.
13. Who worries that the cold weather will have adverse effects on the plants?
(c) Anthony and Harry.
14. Who is the only character onstage when the curtain opens for the second time in Act 1?
15. What does the interior of the greenhouse symbolize?
(a) Harry and Claire's relationship.
(b) Tom and Claire's relationship.
(c) The interior of Claire's heart.
(d) The interior of the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the special plant about to do?
2. In the second part of Act 1, who enters after Harry exits?
3. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
4. What does Harry help Hattie to do when he returns during the second part of Act 1?
5. What does the first character do after coming onstage?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)