|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Elizabeth?
(a) Harry's daughter from a previous marriage.
(b) Claire's daughter from a previous marriage.
(c) Harry and Claire's daughter.
(d) Claire's sister.
2. When the curtain opens for a second time in Act 1, what is the scene?
(a) An unusual plant in a shaft of light.
(b) Outdoors in a blizzard, with a greenhouse visible.
(c) The interior of a greenhouse on a sunny, snowy morning.
(d) A room in a tower.
3. Who is the first character to come onstage in Act 1?
4. From where does the beam of light originate?
(a) From a plant.
(b) From the left.
(d) A trap door in the floor.
5. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
(a) The furnace is broken.
(b) Claire ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
(c) The greenhouse retains heat better than the house does.
(d) Harry ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
6. Why didn't Anthony answer the buzz from Harry?
(a) Harry didn't buzz Anthony.
(b) Claire had instructed Anthony to answer no buzz but hers.
(c) Anthony didn't hear the buzzer.
(d) Hattie answered the buzz.
7. Which plant is not thriving?
(a) "The Life Vine."
(b) "The Edge Vine."
(c) "The Breath of Death."
(d) "The Breath of Life."
8. What is Elizabeth's philosophy regarding new plant varieties?
(a) Anything new should be better.
(b) Plants should never be hybridized.
(c) She likes only roses.
(d) New plants are always exciting.
9. What are Anthony's specific instructions?
(a) Kill the special plant.
(b) Keep the special plant alive at all costs.
(c) Keep salt away from the special plant.
(d) Hide the special plant from Harry.
10. Why can't the second house guest enter the greenhouse?
(a) Anthony has locked the door.
(b) Hattie has locked the door.
(c) The door is frozen shut.
(d) Claire has locked the door.
11. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth, what does Claire want to do?
(a) Destroy "The Edge Vine."
(b) Destroy all plants in the greenhouse.
(c) Destroy "The Breath of Life."
(d) Destroy "The Edge of Death."
12. Who requested that breakfast be served in the greenhouse?
13. Which is the best description of Anthony?
(a) Husband of Claire.
(b) A middle-aged man.
(c) A young man.
(d) A house guest.
14. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Because the greenhouse is too hot.
(b) Because the special plant is in plain sight.
(c) Because Harry invited more people to intrude upon the greenhouse.
(d) Because a plant is dying.
15. Where does Tom intend to go?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rescues Elizabeth from being struck?
2. Who brings Elizabeth to the greenhouse?
3. Which is the best description of Hattie?
4. Which is the best description of Claire and Elizabeth's reunion?
5. Harry and the first house guest have a discussion about what?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)