|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after the first character onstage exits?
(a) The telephone rings.
(b) The greenhouse door opens.
(c) The unusual-looking plant dies.
(d) The curtain closes.
2. What is the first thing the audience sees in Act 1?
(a) A telephone.
(b) A greenhouse.
(c) An unusual-looking plant.
(d) A blizzard.
3. Which is the best description of Hattie?
(a) A gardener.
(b) Wife of Harry.
(c) A maid.
(d) A house guest.
4. Who brings Elizabeth to the greenhouse?
5. What does Claire try to explain to the men over breakfast?
(a) Why there is no heat in the house.
(b) Why she doesn't spend more time with her daughter.
(c) The joy of letting things grow without restriction.
(d) Why she is unhappy in her marriage.
6. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
(a) Claire ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
(b) The greenhouse retains heat better than the house does.
(c) Harry ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
(d) The furnace is broken.
7. Where does Tom intend to go?
8. Who requested that breakfast be served in the greenhouse?
9. Who is the second house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
10. What is the second sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(a) A buzzer.
(c) A conversation.
11. What is the relationship between Harry and Claire?
(a) Husband and wife.
(b) Gardener and employer.
(c) Brother and sister.
(d) Employer and maid.
12. Harry and the first house guest have a discussion about what?
(b) "The Edge Vine."
(c) The blizzard.
13. What does Harry confide to the two house guests after Claire exits?
(a) He does not want Claire to spend time with her daughter.
(b) He no longer loves Claire.
(c) He believes Claire is having an affair.
(d) He hopes to get advice from them regarding Claire.
14. What are Anthony's specific instructions?
(a) Hide the special plant from Harry.
(b) Kill the special plant.
(c) Keep the special plant alive at all costs.
(d) Keep salt away from the special plant.
15. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
(a) Put away his gun.
(b) Kiss her.
(c) Retrieve salt from the house.
(d) Retrieve pepper from the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one item that stands out in the greenhouse?
2. How does Anthony try to distract Claire from worrying about the plant that is not thriving?
3. Who is Elizabeth?
4. Who tries to get Claire to come to the phone upon Elizabeth's arrival?
5. What does the interior of the greenhouse symbolize?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)