|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the second part of Act 1, who enters after Harry exits?
2. What does Claire want Elizabeth to do regarding the plants?
(a) Tend all of the plants.
(b) Not get involved.
(c) Tend only the special plant.
(d) Wait until tomorrow to see what will happen.
3. What is the second sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(b) A buzzer.
(c) A conversation.
4. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
(a) The greenhouse retains heat better than the house does.
(b) The furnace is broken.
(c) Claire ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
(d) Harry ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
5. What does Tom confide to Dick?
(a) He loves Claire.
(b) He loves Claire's daughter.
(c) He is divorcing Claire.
(d) He is having an affair.
6. Who is Elizabeth?
(a) Harry's daughter from a previous marriage.
(b) Claire's sister.
(c) Claire's daughter from a previous marriage.
(d) Harry and Claire's daughter.
7. What is the special plant in the greenhouse called?
(a) "The Breath of Life."
(b) "The Edge of Death"
(c) "The Breath Vine."
(d) "The Edge Vine."
8. Where does Tom intend to go?
9. Which is the best description of Claire and Elizabeth's reunion?
(a) They embrace awkwardly.
(b) They laugh together at a private joke.
(c) They stay on opposite sides of the room.
(d) They tend plants together.
10. Who are Tom and Dick?
(b) Brothers of Harry.
(c) House guests.
(d) Brothers of Anthony.
11. What does Harry help Hattie to do when he returns during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Lock the greenhouse door.
(b) Tend to the plants.
(c) Greet the houseguests.
(d) Prepare breakfast.
12. Who worries that the cold weather will have adverse effects on the plants?
(d) Anthony and Harry.
13. Which is the best description of Hattie?
(a) A maid.
(b) A house guest.
(c) A gardener.
(d) Wife of Harry.
14. What does the blizzard symbolize?
(a) Ideas and creativity.
(d) Outside forces.
15. What does the second house guest bring from the house?
(c) A gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire require the second house guest to do before she will let him enter the greenhouse?
2. What does Claire try to explain to the first house guest?
3. What is Elizabeth's philosophy regarding new plant varieties?
4. From where does the beam of light originate?
5. What happens after the first character onstage exits?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)