|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harry and the first house guest have a discussion about what?
(a) The blizzard.
(c) "The Edge Vine."
2. Why can't the second house guest enter the greenhouse?
(a) Anthony has locked the door.
(b) Claire has locked the door.
(c) Hattie has locked the door.
(d) The door is frozen shut.
3. Who is Elizabeth?
(a) Claire's daughter from a previous marriage.
(b) Harry and Claire's daughter.
(c) Harry's daughter from a previous marriage.
(d) Claire's sister.
4. Who worries that the cold weather will have adverse effects on the plants?
(d) Anthony and Harry.
5. Why is Claire astonished when she enters the greenhouse during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Because a plant is dying.
(b) Because the greenhouse is too hot.
(c) Because Harry invited more people to intrude upon the greenhouse.
(d) Because the special plant is in plain sight.
6. What happens after the first character onstage exits?
(a) The greenhouse door opens.
(b) The curtain closes.
(c) The telephone rings.
(d) The unusual-looking plant dies.
7. Why is the first house guest uncomfortable?
(a) Worries about the state of the greenhouse due to the dying plant.
(b) Worries about the state of the household due to the missing salt.
(c) Worries about the state of the greenhouse due to the blizzard.
(d) Worries about the state of the household due to the missing pepper.
8. Who is the first house guest to arrive at the greenhouse?
9. What does Harry help Hattie to do when he returns during the second part of Act 1?
(a) Prepare breakfast.
(b) Lock the greenhouse door.
(c) Tend to the plants.
(d) Greet the houseguests.
10. What does the interior of the greenhouse symbolize?
(a) The interior of Claire's heart.
(b) Tom and Claire's relationship.
(c) Harry and Claire's relationship.
(d) The interior of the house.
11. Who are Tom and Dick?
(a) House guests.
(c) Brothers of Harry.
(d) Brothers of Anthony.
12. Who rescues Elizabeth from being struck?
13. What is the first sound the audience hears in Act 1?
(c) A buzzer.
(d) A conversation.
14. When Claire becomes frustrated with Elizabeth, what does Claire want to do?
(a) Destroy all plants in the greenhouse.
(b) Destroy "The Breath of Life."
(c) Destroy "The Edge of Death."
(d) Destroy "The Edge Vine."
15. Why is there no heat in the house, even though the greenhouse is warm?
(a) Harry ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
(b) The greenhouse retains heat better than the house does.
(c) Claire ordered the heat from the house to be diverted to the greenhouse.
(d) The furnace is broken.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anthony try to distract Claire from worrying about the plant that is not thriving?
2. What is the special plant about to do?
3. What does Claire try to explain to the men over breakfast?
4. Why does Claire caution Tom to be careful?
5. Where does Tom intend to go?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)