|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dimmesdale's voice is compared to what natural phenomenon in Chapter 23?
(a) Twisting branches of a dead oak.
(b) Patter of raindrops on the roof.
(c) Swelling waves of the sea.
(d) Surging wind of the coast.
2. What does Hester threaten to do at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Betray Chillingworth's identity.
(b) Escape Boston.
(c) Reveal the name of her lover.
(d) Kill herself.
3. Where does Dimmesdale hold his hand often throughout the novel?
(a) In his pocket.
(b) Over his eyes.
(c) Clutching the Bible.
(d) Over his heart.
4. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) The Pastor and His Lover.
(b) The Pastor and His Parishoner.
(c) The Pastor and the Thief.
(d) The Pastor and His Parish.
5. Which of the following creatures is not mentioned while Pearl plays on the shore?
(c) Horseshoe crab.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pearl do with sea weed?
2. According to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth's revenge has been "____ than [his] sin"?
3. Who inherited money and property from Chillingworth?
4. This group in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22 was showing "a stamp of majesty that made the warrior's haughty stride look vulgar"?
5. What is Hester wearing on the public holiday in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of thoughts occur to Dimmesdale when he sees a deacon on the way home in Chapter 20 and why?
2. When Hester calls for Pearl to come to her in Chapter 19, Pearl will not move from her spot in the woods. What prevents her from going to her mother?
3. What does Pearl do with the seaweed she finds, and what does it show about her as a character?
4. Why does Hester say that Dimmesdale should travel somewhere, "whether in some remote village or in vast London, [...] in Germany, in France," etc?
5. When Dimmesdale refuses to travel and quit his post as minister, how does Hester change his mind?
6. In Chapter 13, Hawthorne says that some people would think that Hester's scarlet letter stands for "Able." Why?
7. How does Pearl decorate herself at the end of Chapter 18 differently from how she did in the woods when Hester met Chillingworth?
8. What, according to the narrator, enlivened the public holiday with "some diversity of hue?"
9. Why will Hester and Dimmesdale have to head back to Europe, instead of moving somewhere more rural or remote?
10. Why does Hester go to meet Dimmesdale in the woods?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)