|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Hester decide to seek out for a meeting at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) Her confessor.
(b) Her (former) husband.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her lover.
2. Why will Pearl not come to Hester in Chapter 19?
(a) She has taken off the letter.
(b) She is across the brook.
(c) She is angry at her mother.
(d) She is talking with a man.
3. With what kind of natural objects has Pearl decorated herself in Chapter 18?
(c) Maple leaves.
(d) Sand and driftwood.
4. Hester says that Pearl is "strange" and what at first?
5. What is Dimmesdale's "own red stigma"?
(a) An "A" carved in his chest.
(b) A scarlet letter he wears underneath his jacket.
(c) His guilt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is mentioned in Chapter 13 as a "foundress of a religious sect?"
2. What is the title of Chapter 14?
3. What, according to many of the townspeople who have come to appreciate Hester, should the A stand for?
4. In what month does this "obscure night" take place in Chapter 12?
5. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hester calls for Pearl to come to her in Chapter 19, Pearl will not move from her spot in the woods. What prevents her from going to her mother?
2. In Chapter 15, when Pearl asks Hester what the letter stands for, what does Hester reply?
3. Many people pass Dimmesdale by in this chapter; why are so many people up so late and walking about?
4. In Chapter 14, what does Hester ask of Chillingworth?
5. In Chapter 14, why is Chillingworth in the woods?
6. In Chapter 16, Hester changes her story to Pearl about the significance of the scarlet letter. What does she say about the letter in Chapter 16?
7. In Chapter 13, Hawthorne says that some people would think that Hester's scarlet letter stands for "Able." Why?
8. Why do Hester and Pearl gather with other townspeople at the beginning of Chapter 21?
9. Why does Chillingworth attempt to stop Hester and Pearl from joining Dimmesdale on the scaffold?
10. What does Pearl do with the seaweed she finds, and what does it show about her as a character?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)