|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth's revenge has been "____ than [his] sin"?
2. This group in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22 was showing "a stamp of majesty that made the warrior's haughty stride look vulgar"?
(a) The soldiers.
(b) The public officials.
(c) The sailors.
(d) The musicians.
3. What, according to many of the townspeople who have come to appreciate Hester, should the A stand for?
4. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
(a) "A mysterious maze."
(b) "A red-hot iron."
(c) "A fletched arrow."
(d) "A tall white pedestal."
5. Who inherited money and property from Chillingworth?
(a) The church.
(b) His biological children.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19, how does Dimmesdale say Pearl looks?
2. Where does Dimmesdale hold his hand often throughout the novel?
3. Whom does Dimmesdale set out to meet?
4. Which of the following is NOT used by the narrator to describe Pearl in Chapter 21?
5. How is Hibbins related to the Governor?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Hester changes her story to Pearl about the significance of the scarlet letter. What does she say about the letter in Chapter 16?
2. Many people pass Dimmesdale by in this chapter; why are so many people up so late and walking about?
3. In Chapter 15, when Pearl asks Hester what the letter stands for, what does Hester reply?
4. How does Pearl decorate herself at the end of Chapter 18 differently from how she did in the woods when Hester met Chillingworth?
5. Why does Hawthorne describe Pearl, in Chapter 19, as a "living hieroglyphic."
6. What, according to the narrator, enlivened the public holiday with "some diversity of hue?"
7. Why does Hester say that Dimmesdale should travel somewhere, "whether in some remote village or in vast London, [...] in Germany, in France," etc?
8. Why, in Chapter 18, does Hester remove the scarlet letter and fling it into a brook?
9. Why does Hester's heart sink when she sees Dimmesdale in the procession during the public holiday?
10. What does Pearl do with the seaweed she finds, and what does it show about her as a character?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)