|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
(a) A wink.
(b) A shrug.
(c) A smile.
(d) A grimace.
2. Why do Hester and Dimmesdale chose the place they do to escape to?
(a) Dimmedale's profession.
(b) Hester's profession.
(c) Dimmesdale's health.
(d) Hester's criminal record.
3. What does Dimmesdale tell Chillingworth while he is writing the sermon is Chapter 20?
(a) That he is feeling close to death.
(b) That he no longer needs his services as doctor.
(c) That he knows who Hester's lover is.
(d) That he knows Chillingworth's true identity.
4. Where have Hester and Dimmesdale decided would be the best place to escape to?
(a) An Indian settlement.
(c) The American South.
5. What describes Dimmesdale's hand, when Hester touches it?
(b) "Cold as ice. "
(d) "Chill as death."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
2. Who is mentioned in Chapter 13 as a "foundress of a religious sect?"
3. Where is the ship the Spanish Main sailing?
4. Who is said to haunt the forest outside town, carrying a big, heavy book with him?
5. Who is the "grim, ugly-eyed old man" who recognizes Pearl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hawthorne describe Pearl, in Chapter 19, as a "living hieroglyphic."
2. Why does Hester say that Dimmesdale should travel somewhere, "whether in some remote village or in vast London, [...] in Germany, in France," etc?
3. How does Pearl decorate herself at the end of Chapter 18 differently from how she did in the woods when Hester met Chillingworth?
4. Why do Hester and Pearl gather with other townspeople at the beginning of Chapter 21?
5. What kinds of thoughts occur to Dimmesdale when he sees a deacon on the way home in Chapter 20 and why?
6. In Chapter 16, Hester changes her story to Pearl about the significance of the scarlet letter. What does she say about the letter in Chapter 16?
7. According to the narrator, what appeared to be Dimmesdale's subject, in his sermon in Chapter 23?
8. Where does Dimmesdale go at the beginning of Chapter 12, and why?
9. Why will Hester and Dimmesdale have to head back to Europe, instead of moving somewhere more rural or remote?
10. Why does Hester go to meet Dimmesdale in the woods?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)