|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While she is playing, Pearl makes a little boat out of what?
(a) Sand dollars.
(b) Birch bark.
(c) Sea weed.
2. Who inherited money and property from Chillingworth?
(c) The church.
(d) His biological children.
3. How is Hibbins related to the Governor?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His sister.
(c) His sister-in-law.
(d) No relation.
4. Next to whom is Hester Prynne eventually buried?
(a) Chillingworth, her husband.
(d) No one--she is buried alone.
5. How long did it take before Chillingworth died?
(a) Immediately after Dimmesdale.
(b) Less than a year.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 17?
2. When Pearl repeatedly asks Hester what the letter stand for, what does Hester tell her in Chapter 15?
3. What had Dimmesdale been doing to himself?
4. Where have Hester and Dimmesdale decided would be the best place to escape to?
5. What is the title of Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the three suspected causes of the "A" carved into Dimmesdale's chest.
2. Why does Chillingworth attempt to stop Hester and Pearl from joining Dimmesdale on the scaffold?
3. Why, at the end of the book, is Hester making a baby garment?
4. Why does Hester's heart sink when she sees Dimmesdale in the procession during the public holiday?
5. In Chapter 14, what does Hester ask of Chillingworth?
6. What, according to the narrator, enlivened the public holiday with "some diversity of hue?"
7. What does Pearl do with the seaweed she finds, and what does it show about her as a character?
8. Why will Hester and Dimmesdale have to head back to Europe, instead of moving somewhere more rural or remote?
9. In Chapter 16, Hester changes her story to Pearl about the significance of the scarlet letter. What does she say about the letter in Chapter 16?
10. In Chapter 13, Hawthorne says that some people would think that Hester's scarlet letter stands for "Able." Why?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)