|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where have Hester and Dimmesdale decided would be the best place to escape to?
(a) The American South.
(b) An Indian settlement.
2. This group in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22 was showing "a stamp of majesty that made the warrior's haughty stride look vulgar"?
(a) The musicians.
(b) The sailors.
(c) The public officials.
(d) The soldiers.
3. What had Dimmesdale been doing to himself?
(a) He had been staying awake all night.
(b) He had been fasting.
(c) He had been treating his own illness.
(d) He had been self-flagellating.
4. Who is said to haunt the forest outside town, carrying a big, heavy book with him?
(a) The Black Man.
(b) The Dark Reverend.
(c) The Evil Man.
(d) The Dark Man.
5. What does Hester tell Dimmesdale about Chillingworth in Chapter 17?
(a) That he is really a Catholic.
(b) That he is not really a doctor.
(c) That he is on an undercover mission for the governor.
(d) That he is her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metal is the previously mentioned book and pen associated with?
2. "Its ranks were filled with gentlemen, who felt the stirrings of martial impulse" describes which group of men in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
3. How is Hibbins related to the Governor?
4. John Wilson is described as having what relationship to Dimmesdale?
5. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)