|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dimmesdale claims that his scarlet letter burns how?
(a) In secret.
(b) In God's eyes.
(c) On his soul.
(d) On the inside.
2. Where is the ship the Spanish Main sailing?
3. Where does Dimmesdale imagine a "scarlet token?"
(a) On Hester.
(b) On Pearl.
(c) On his forehead.
(d) On his chest.
4. Who are the "rough-looking desperadoes, with sun-blackened faces" at the holiday in Chapter 21?
5. What describes Dimmesdale's hand, when Hester touches it?
(c) "Chill as death."
(d) "Cold as ice. "
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is said to ride "with Satan through the air?"
2. When Pearl repeatedly asks Hester what the letter stand for, what does Hester tell her in Chapter 15?
3. According to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth's revenge has been "____ than [his] sin"?
4. What does Hester mean when she says "Thou shalt not go alone" at the end of Chapter 17?
5. "Its ranks were filled with gentlemen, who felt the stirrings of martial impulse" describes which group of men in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hawthorne describe Dimmesdale, either physically or emotionally, at the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. Why do Hester and Pearl gather with other townspeople at the beginning of Chapter 21?
3. Where does Dimmesdale go at the beginning of Chapter 12, and why?
4. What, according to the narrator, enlivened the public holiday with "some diversity of hue?"
5. Many people pass Dimmesdale by in this chapter; why are so many people up so late and walking about?
6. In Chapter 14, what does Hester ask of Chillingworth?
7. Describe the three suspected causes of the "A" carved into Dimmesdale's chest.
8. How does Pearl decorate herself at the end of Chapter 18 differently from how she did in the woods when Hester met Chillingworth?
9. When Hester calls for Pearl to come to her in Chapter 19, Pearl will not move from her spot in the woods. What prevents her from going to her mother?
10. According to the narrator, what appeared to be Dimmesdale's subject, in his sermon in Chapter 23?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)