|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) The Pastor and the Thief.
(b) The Pastor and His Parish.
(c) The Pastor and His Parishoner.
(d) The Pastor and His Lover.
2. How does the narrator characterize Dimmesdale's sermon?
(a) The narrator disparages it.
(b) The narrator exhalts it.
(c) The narrator ignores it.
(d) The narrator neither praises nor diminshes it.
3. Which of the following creatures is not mentioned while Pearl plays on the shore?
(b) Horseshoe crab.
4. How is Hibbins related to the Governor?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His sister-in-law.
(c) No relation.
(d) His sister.
5. Where have Hester and Dimmesdale decided would be the best place to escape to?
(b) The American South.
(d) An Indian settlement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pearl recognizes a man in the procession who did what?
2. Which of the following is NOT an explanation for Dimmesdale's "red stigma"?
3. While she is playing, Pearl makes a little boat out of what?
4. What does Chillingworth say in Chapter 14 the town council has been debating?
5. Who is the "grim, ugly-eyed old man" who recognizes Pearl?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what does Hester ask of Chillingworth?
2. Describe the three suspected causes of the "A" carved into Dimmesdale's chest.
3. How does the narrator describe the public officials in Chapter 22, many of whom were real historical figures (figures such as Bradstreet, Endicott, etc.)?
4. In Chapter 13, Hawthorne says that some people would think that Hester's scarlet letter stands for "Able." Why?
5. How does Pearl decorate herself at the end of Chapter 18 differently from how she did in the woods when Hester met Chillingworth?
6. Why does Hawthorne describe Pearl, in Chapter 19, as a "living hieroglyphic."
7. Why does Chillingworth attempt to stop Hester and Pearl from joining Dimmesdale on the scaffold?
8. Why does Hester's heart sink when she sees Dimmesdale in the procession during the public holiday?
9. In Chapter 14, why is Chillingworth in the woods?
10. When Hester calls for Pearl to come to her in Chapter 19, Pearl will not move from her spot in the woods. What prevents her from going to her mother?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)