|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the holiday referred to in the title of Chapter 21?
(c) The arrival of the new governor.
(d) The birth of the new prince.
2. What does Chillingworth say in Chapter 14 the town council has been debating?
(a) Whether to arrest Hester again.
(b) Whether to take away Pearl from Hester.
(c) Whether to take away the scarlet letter.
(d) Whether to exile Hester from Boston.
3. This group in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22 was showing "a stamp of majesty that made the warrior's haughty stride look vulgar"?
(a) The public officials.
(b) The sailors.
(c) The musicians.
(d) The soldiers.
4. What is Dimmesdale's "own red stigma"?
(a) An "A" carved in his chest.
(b) A scarlet letter he wears underneath his jacket.
(d) His guilt.
5. According to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth's revenge has been "____ than [his] sin"?
Short Answer Questions
1. "Its ranks were filled with gentlemen, who felt the stirrings of martial impulse" describes which group of men in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
2. What color is the letter A Pearl fashions for herself out of natural objects ?
3. Why will Pearl not come to Hester in Chapter 19?
4. What is the title of Chapter 20?
5. While she is playing, Pearl makes a little boat out of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 13, Hawthorne says that some people would think that Hester's scarlet letter stands for "Able." Why?
2. Describe the three suspected causes of the "A" carved into Dimmesdale's chest.
3. In Chapter 14, why is Chillingworth in the woods?
4. Why, at the end of the book, is Hester making a baby garment?
5. Why, in Chapter 18, does Hester remove the scarlet letter and fling it into a brook?
6. Why does Hester go to meet Dimmesdale in the woods?
7. Why does Chillingworth attempt to stop Hester and Pearl from joining Dimmesdale on the scaffold?
8. Why will Hester and Dimmesdale have to head back to Europe, instead of moving somewhere more rural or remote?
9. When Hester calls for Pearl to come to her in Chapter 19, Pearl will not move from her spot in the woods. What prevents her from going to her mother?
10. Where does Dimmesdale go at the beginning of Chapter 12, and why?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)