|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hester exclaims "better he had died at once!," to whom is she referring in Chapter 14?
(a) The new governor.
(d) The old governor.
2. What does Hester tell Dimmesdale about Chillingworth in Chapter 17?
(a) That he is on an undercover mission for the governor.
(b) That he is really a Catholic.
(c) That he is not really a doctor.
(d) That he is her husband.
3. What is the title of Chapter 14?
(a) The Doctor and Mrs. Chillingworth.
(b) The Magical Doctor.
(c) Hester and the Physician.
(d) Hester and the Magician.
4. Where does the minister go in the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) To the governor's.
(b) To church.
(c) To the scaffold.
(d) To Hester's.
5. Why do Hester and Dimmesdale chose the place they do to escape to?
(a) Hester's criminal record.
(b) Hester's profession.
(c) Dimmesdale's health.
(d) Dimmedale's profession.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dimmesdale's voice is compared to what natural phenomenon in Chapter 23?
2. What is the holiday referred to in the title of Chapter 21?
3. What does Dimmesdale tell Chillingworth while he is writing the sermon is Chapter 20?
4. What is the title of Chapter 20?
5. Which of the following creatures is not mentioned while Pearl plays on the shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chillingworth attempt to stop Hester and Pearl from joining Dimmesdale on the scaffold?
2. What, according to the narrator, enlivened the public holiday with "some diversity of hue?"
3. In Chapter 16, Hester changes her story to Pearl about the significance of the scarlet letter. What does she say about the letter in Chapter 16?
4. Why, at the end of the book, is Hester making a baby garment?
5. In Chapter 15, when Pearl asks Hester what the letter stands for, what does Hester reply?
6. Why will Hester and Dimmesdale have to head back to Europe, instead of moving somewhere more rural or remote?
7. How does the narrator describe the public officials in Chapter 22, many of whom were real historical figures (figures such as Bradstreet, Endicott, etc.)?
8. Many people pass Dimmesdale by in this chapter; why are so many people up so late and walking about?
9. In Chapter 14, why is Chillingworth in the woods?
10. Describe the three suspected causes of the "A" carved into Dimmesdale's chest.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)