|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What describes Dimmesdale's hand, when Hester touches it?
(b) "Chill as death."
(d) "Cold as ice. "
2. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
(a) "A red-hot iron."
(b) "A tall white pedestal."
(c) "A fletched arrow."
(d) "A mysterious maze."
3. What does Hester tell Dimmesdale about Chillingworth in Chapter 17?
(a) That he is really a Catholic.
(b) That he is her husband.
(c) That he is not really a doctor.
(d) That he is on an undercover mission for the governor.
4. Who inherited money and property from Chillingworth?
(a) His biological children.
(d) The church.
5. Whom does Dimmesdale set out to meet?
(a) Disciple Ellison.
(b) Apostle Elias.
(c) Disciple Adrian.
(d) Apostle Eliot.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pearl repeatedly asks Hester what the letter stand for, what does Hester tell her in Chapter 15?
2. Pearl recognizes a man in the procession who did what?
3. John Wilson is described as having what relationship to Dimmesdale?
4. While she is playing, Pearl makes a little boat out of what?
5. Who is said to haunt the forest outside town, carrying a big, heavy book with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hester calls for Pearl to come to her in Chapter 19, Pearl will not move from her spot in the woods. What prevents her from going to her mother?
2. Why do Hester and Pearl gather with other townspeople at the beginning of Chapter 21?
3. How does Hawthorne describe Dimmesdale, either physically or emotionally, at the beginning of Chapter 13?
4. Describe the three suspected causes of the "A" carved into Dimmesdale's chest.
5. Why does Hester go to meet Dimmesdale in the woods?
6. In Chapter 15, when Pearl asks Hester what the letter stands for, what does Hester reply?
7. Why, at the end of the book, is Hester making a baby garment?
8. Why will Hester and Dimmesdale have to head back to Europe, instead of moving somewhere more rural or remote?
9. What, according to the narrator, enlivened the public holiday with "some diversity of hue?"
10. How does Pearl decorate herself at the end of Chapter 18 differently from how she did in the woods when Hester met Chillingworth?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)