|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
(a) From the Dark Man.
(b) From Mistress Hibbins.
(c) From the Black Man.
(d) From the Dark Reverend.
2. What is the title of Chapter 18?
(a) A Flood of Brightness.
(b) A Flood of Sunshine.
(c) An Ectasy of Light.
(d) A River of Tears.
3. What does Pearl do with sea weed?
(a) Spreads it along the beach.
(b) Eats it.
(c) Wraps it about her head.
(d) Lines her pockets with it.
4. "Its ranks were filled with gentlemen, who felt the stirrings of martial impulse" describes which group of men in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
(a) The musicians.
(b) The public officials.
(c) The soliders.
(d) The clergy.
5. How long did it take before Chillingworth died?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Immediately after Dimmesdale.
(d) Less than a year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metal is the previously mentioned book and pen associated with?
2. Whom does Dimmesdale set out to meet?
3. What marks particular attendants of the holiday as members of their forest settlements?
4. Who are the "rough-looking desperadoes, with sun-blackened faces" at the holiday in Chapter 21?
5. What is the title of Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pearl decorate herself at the end of Chapter 18 differently from how she did in the woods when Hester met Chillingworth?
2. How does Hawthorne describe Dimmesdale, either physically or emotionally, at the beginning of Chapter 13?
3. In Chapter 16, Hester changes her story to Pearl about the significance of the scarlet letter. What does she say about the letter in Chapter 16?
4. What, according to the narrator, enlivened the public holiday with "some diversity of hue?"
5. When Dimmesdale refuses to travel and quit his post as minister, how does Hester change his mind?
6. Why will Hester and Dimmesdale have to head back to Europe, instead of moving somewhere more rural or remote?
7. Why, at the end of the book, is Hester making a baby garment?
8. How does the narrator describe the public officials in Chapter 22, many of whom were real historical figures (figures such as Bradstreet, Endicott, etc.)?
9. In Chapter 14, why is Chillingworth in the woods?
10. Why, in Chapter 18, does Hester remove the scarlet letter and fling it into a brook?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)