|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dimmesdale tell Chillingworth while he is writing the sermon is Chapter 20?
(a) That he no longer needs his services as doctor.
(b) That he knows who Hester's lover is.
(c) That he is feeling close to death.
(d) That he knows Chillingworth's true identity.
2. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
(a) From Mistress Hibbins.
(b) From the Dark Man.
(c) From the Dark Reverend.
(d) From the Black Man.
3. Despite his triumph in delivering the sermon in Chapter 23, how does Dimmesdale appear?
(a) "Hale and hearty."
(b) "Wanton and wan."
(c) "Delicate and forlorn."
(d) "Feeble and pale."
4. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
(a) A grimace.
(b) A wink.
(c) A shrug.
(d) A smile.
5. What is the holiday referred to in the title of Chapter 21?
(b) The arrival of the new governor.
(d) The birth of the new prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
2. How does the narrator characterize Dimmesdale's sermon?
3. Who retrieves the object that Hester flings away?
4. "Its ranks were filled with gentlemen, who felt the stirrings of martial impulse" describes which group of men in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
5. What is Dimmesdale's "own red stigma"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hester go to meet Dimmesdale in the woods?
2. How does Pearl decorate herself at the end of Chapter 18 differently from how she did in the woods when Hester met Chillingworth?
3. In Chapter 14, what does Hester ask of Chillingworth?
4. What kinds of thoughts occur to Dimmesdale when he sees a deacon on the way home in Chapter 20 and why?
5. How does Hawthorne describe Dimmesdale, either physically or emotionally, at the beginning of Chapter 13?
6. Where does Dimmesdale go at the beginning of Chapter 12, and why?
7. Why does Hester's heart sink when she sees Dimmesdale in the procession during the public holiday?
8. Why does Chillingworth attempt to stop Hester and Pearl from joining Dimmesdale on the scaffold?
9. Describe the three suspected causes of the "A" carved into Dimmesdale's chest.
10. Why does Hester say that Dimmesdale should travel somewhere, "whether in some remote village or in vast London, [...] in Germany, in France," etc?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)