|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize Dimmesdale's sermon?
(a) The narrator ignores it.
(b) The narrator neither praises nor diminshes it.
(c) The narrator exhalts it.
(d) The narrator disparages it.
2. What suggests that Pearl will have a child of her own at the end of the novel?
(a) Hester is sewing infant clothes.
(b) Pearl's stomach is large.
(c) Hester calls herself "Grandma Hester."
(d) Pearl has gotten married quickly.
3. According to the narrator, which of the following has NOT been one of Hester's "teachers"?
4. When Pearl will not cross the brook, what does Hester tell her she can leap like?
(a) Little girls.
(b) Giant grasshopper.
(c) Bull frog.
(d) Young deer.
5. Where does the minister go in the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) To church.
(b) To the scaffold.
(c) To Hester's.
(d) To the governor's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the letter A Pearl fashions for herself out of natural objects ?
2. What had Dimmesdale been doing to himself?
3. What, according to many of the townspeople who have come to appreciate Hester, should the A stand for?
4. What is the title of Chapter 17?
5. What is the holiday referred to in the title of Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hester go to meet Dimmesdale in the woods?
2. Why does Hester say that Dimmesdale should travel somewhere, "whether in some remote village or in vast London, [...] in Germany, in France," etc?
3. Why does Hawthorne describe Pearl, in Chapter 19, as a "living hieroglyphic."
4. When Hester calls for Pearl to come to her in Chapter 19, Pearl will not move from her spot in the woods. What prevents her from going to her mother?
5. Why, at the end of the book, is Hester making a baby garment?
6. What does Pearl do with the seaweed she finds, and what does it show about her as a character?
7. What, according to the narrator, enlivened the public holiday with "some diversity of hue?"
8. Where does Dimmesdale go at the beginning of Chapter 12, and why?
9. What kinds of thoughts occur to Dimmesdale when he sees a deacon on the way home in Chapter 20 and why?
10. Why will Hester and Dimmesdale have to head back to Europe, instead of moving somewhere more rural or remote?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)