|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, in the procession, "exhibited such energy as was seen in the gait and air"?
2. Where does Dimmesdale imagine a "scarlet token?"
(a) On Pearl.
(b) On Hester.
(c) On his forehead.
(d) On his chest.
3. What, according to many of the townspeople who have come to appreciate Hester, should the A stand for?
4. What is Dimmesdale's "own red stigma"?
(a) An "A" carved in his chest.
(b) His guilt.
(c) A scarlet letter he wears underneath his jacket.
5. Next to whom is Hester Prynne eventually buried?
(a) Chillingworth, her husband.
(d) No one--she is buried alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pearl will not cross the brook, what does Hester tell her she can leap like?
2. Where is Hester when Chillingworth leaves, "his gray beard almost" touching the ground?
3. Which of the following is NOT an explanation for Dimmesdale's "red stigma"?
4. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
5. In Chapter 19, how does Dimmesdale say Pearl looks?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)