|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hester mean when she says "Thou shalt not go alone" at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) That she will send Pearl with Dimmesdale.
(b) That Chillingworth will follow Dimmesdale.
(c) That she will run away with Dimmesdale.
(d) That Dimmesdale should not leave.
2. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
(a) From the Dark Man.
(b) From Mistress Hibbins.
(c) From the Black Man.
(d) From the Dark Reverend.
3. What is the title of Chapter 20?
(a) "The Minister in the Mirror."
(b) "The Minister in a Maze."
(c) "The Mysterious Minister."
(d) "The Minister in the Middle."
4. Which of the following is NOT an explanation for Dimmesdale's "red stigma"?
(a) God did it.
(b) The minister did it to himself.
(c) Hester put it there.
(d) Chillingworth did it.
5. How is Hibbins related to the Governor?
(a) His sister-in-law.
(b) No relation.
(c) His sister.
(d) His daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the ship the Spanish Main sailing?
2. What group of people leads the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
3. This group in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22 was showing "a stamp of majesty that made the warrior's haughty stride look vulgar"?
4. Dimmesdale learns that he is preach what important sermon?
5. Where have Hester and Dimmesdale decided would be the best place to escape to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hester's heart sink when she sees Dimmesdale in the procession during the public holiday?
2. How does the narrator describe the public officials in Chapter 22, many of whom were real historical figures (figures such as Bradstreet, Endicott, etc.)?
3. Why will Hester and Dimmesdale have to head back to Europe, instead of moving somewhere more rural or remote?
4. Why, in Chapter 18, does Hester remove the scarlet letter and fling it into a brook?
5. In Chapter 14, what does Hester ask of Chillingworth?
6. Why does Hawthorne describe Pearl, in Chapter 19, as a "living hieroglyphic."
7. In Chapter 15, when Pearl asks Hester what the letter stands for, what does Hester reply?
8. Where does Dimmesdale go at the beginning of Chapter 12, and why?
9. How does Pearl decorate herself at the end of Chapter 18 differently from how she did in the woods when Hester met Chillingworth?
10. What kinds of thoughts occur to Dimmesdale when he sees a deacon on the way home in Chapter 20 and why?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)