|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
(a) A grimace.
(b) A smile.
(c) A shrug.
(d) A wink.
2. Where have Hester and Dimmesdale decided would be the best place to escape to?
(b) An Indian settlement.
(d) The American South.
3. When Pearl will not cross the brook, what does Hester tell her she can leap like?
(a) Little girls.
(b) Bull frog.
(c) Giant grasshopper.
(d) Young deer.
4. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
(a) From the Dark Man.
(b) From Mistress Hibbins.
(c) From the Black Man.
(d) From the Dark Reverend.
5. What is the title of Chapter 20?
(a) "The Minister in the Middle."
(b) "The Minister in a Maze."
(c) "The Minister in the Mirror."
(d) "The Mysterious Minister."
Short Answer Questions
1. With what kind of natural objects has Pearl decorated herself in Chapter 18?
2. Dimmesdale learns that he is preach what important sermon?
3. How is Hibbins related to the Governor?
4. Who is said to haunt the forest outside town, carrying a big, heavy book with him?
5. Why is Dimmesdale at the town center Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator, what appeared to be Dimmesdale's subject, in his sermon in Chapter 23?
2. How does the narrator describe the public officials in Chapter 22, many of whom were real historical figures (figures such as Bradstreet, Endicott, etc.)?
3. Why do Hester and Pearl gather with other townspeople at the beginning of Chapter 21?
4. Why, in Chapter 18, does Hester remove the scarlet letter and fling it into a brook?
5. Why does Chillingworth attempt to stop Hester and Pearl from joining Dimmesdale on the scaffold?
6. What does Pearl do with the seaweed she finds, and what does it show about her as a character?
7. When Hester calls for Pearl to come to her in Chapter 19, Pearl will not move from her spot in the woods. What prevents her from going to her mother?
8. How does Pearl decorate herself at the end of Chapter 18 differently from how she did in the woods when Hester met Chillingworth?
9. Why does Hester go to meet Dimmesdale in the woods?
10. In Chapter 14, what does Hester ask of Chillingworth?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)