|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the minister go in the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) To church.
(b) To the scaffold.
(c) To Hester's.
(d) To the governor's.
2. What does Dimmesdale tell Chillingworth while he is writing the sermon is Chapter 20?
(a) That he no longer needs his services as doctor.
(b) That he knows Chillingworth's true identity.
(c) That he knows who Hester's lover is.
(d) That he is feeling close to death.
3. What marks particular attendants of the holiday as members of their forest settlements?
(a) Their deer-skin clothing.
(b) Their long hair.
(c) Their scarlet F's.
(d) Their rough speech.
4. Where have Hester and Dimmesdale decided would be the best place to escape to?
(a) The American South.
(b) An Indian settlement.
5. Where is Hester when Chillingworth leaves, "his gray beard almost" touching the ground?
(a) At the governor's.
(b) In church.
(c) At the roominghouse.
(d) In the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the letter A Pearl fashions for herself out of natural objects ?
2. "Its ranks were filled with gentlemen, who felt the stirrings of martial impulse" describes which group of men in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
3. Why do Hester and Dimmesdale chose the place they do to escape to?
4. Hester says that Pearl is "strange" and what at first?
5. Who are the "rough-looking desperadoes, with sun-blackened faces" at the holiday in Chapter 21?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)