|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pearl recognizes a man in the procession who did what?
(a) Gave her a red rose from his garden.
(b) Visited Hester and her in jail.
(c) Stole money from Hester.
(d) Kissed her by the brook.
2. Whom does Dimmesdale call up to join him in front of everyone?
(d) Hester and Pearl.
3. What is Hester wearing on the public holiday in Chapter 21?
(a) Coarse gray cloth.
(b) A white wedding gown.
(c) Fine scarlet gown.
(d) A plain blue dress.
4. What had Dimmesdale been doing to himself?
(a) He had been fasting.
(b) He had been treating his own illness.
(c) He had been self-flagellating.
(d) He had been staying awake all night.
5. According to the narrator, which of the following has NOT been one of Hester's "teachers"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dimmesdale at the town center Chapter 12?
2. What does Hester tell Dimmesdale about Chillingworth in Chapter 17?
3. Who is said to ride "with Satan through the air?"
4. According to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth's revenge has been "____ than [his] sin"?
5. What marks particular attendants of the holiday as members of their forest settlements?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Hester changes her story to Pearl about the significance of the scarlet letter. What does she say about the letter in Chapter 16?
2. How does Pearl decorate herself at the end of Chapter 18 differently from how she did in the woods when Hester met Chillingworth?
3. What kinds of thoughts occur to Dimmesdale when he sees a deacon on the way home in Chapter 20 and why?
4. Why do Hester and Pearl gather with other townspeople at the beginning of Chapter 21?
5. Why does Hester go to meet Dimmesdale in the woods?
6. In Chapter 14, why is Chillingworth in the woods?
7. In Chapter 14, what does Hester ask of Chillingworth?
8. Why does Hawthorne describe Pearl, in Chapter 19, as a "living hieroglyphic."
9. Why does Chillingworth attempt to stop Hester and Pearl from joining Dimmesdale on the scaffold?
10. Why does Hester's heart sink when she sees Dimmesdale in the procession during the public holiday?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)