|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hester delivering to the governor's house when she goes there in Chapter 7?
(d) A scarf.
2. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
3. What kind of men are rare in the colony, according to the narrator?
(b) Doctors and scientists.
4. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
(a) Rural England.
(d) Bustling London.
5. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
(a) The schoolhouse.
(b) The church.
(c) The governor's mansion.
(d) The cemetery.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
2. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
3. Chillingworth is described as which of the following in Chapter 11?
4. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
5. Hester's work is seen everywhere with the exception of:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dimmesdale's argument for keeping Hester and Pearl together?
2. What has happened to the original spirit of the town of Salem, as in, to the legacy of the original founders?
3. What happens to Hester when the jailer introduces Chillingworth?
4. What does Hawthorne say the purpose of the eagle is, which hangs in front of the building?
5. How does Dimmesdale respond to his growing guilt? How does he punish himself?
6. Describe the door to the jail.
7. How does Hawthorne describe the inhabitants of Boston?
8. Describe what Hawthorne's narrator thinks of Reverend Dimmesdale's voice.
9. Name one of the two reasons Hawthorne suspects that the plant standing outside the prison survived.
10. Why does Hawthorne say that it is ironic that Pearl is such a beautiful child, in Chapter 6?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)