|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is NOT among the crowd shaming Hester?
(a) Hester's parents.
(b) The governor.
(c) Hester's pastor.
(d) The judges.
2. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
(a) Charter Street burial-ground.
(b) Salem Cemetery.
(c) Town Cemetery.
(d) Old Church burial-ground.
3. Chapter 6 is named after which character?
4. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
5. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
(b) Religious heterodoxy.
(c) Sluggish bond servant.
(d) Undutiful child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
2. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
3. What is Hester delivering to the governor's house when she goes there in Chapter 7?
4. Where was Reverend Dimmesdale trained in religion?
5. What is the health problem wrong with Dimmesdale?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the relationship between Chillingworth and Dimmesdale develops in Chapter 9, what do the townspeople begin to suspect about Dimmesdale and why?
2. What kind of plant stands outside the prison, offering a contrast in color and form? Describe what the narrator says about it.
3. What is Hawthorne's emotional state in the preface?
4. Why is Hester standing before the townsfolk in the beginning of the novel?
5. Why does Hawthorne decide to republish the offending introduction?
6. What is Dimmesdale's argument for keeping Hester and Pearl together?
7. Describe the setting Hawthorne describes of the busy wharf.
8. What has happened to the original spirit of the town of Salem, as in, to the legacy of the original founders?
9. What are some examples of Chillingworth's growing power over Dimmesdale?
10. What happens to Hester when the jailer introduces Chillingworth?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)