|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quiets Pearl in this when she wants something from the governor's garden?
(a) Her obedience to Hester.
(b) The gardener gives her what she wants.
(c) The appearance of the governor.
(d) Her nanny.
2. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
3. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
(a) Chillingworth and Dimmesdale.
(b) Hester and Dimmesdale.
(c) Chillingworth and Bellingham.
(d) Hester and Chillingworth.
4. Chillingworth has a degree from a university in which country?
5. The title of Chapter 9 ("The Leech") refers to which character?
Short Answer Questions
1. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
2. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
3. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
4. Who is with the governor when Hester visits his house to deliver something?
5. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of skill does Hester use to support herself?
2. How does Dimmesdale respond to his growing guilt? How does he punish himself?
3. What happens to Hester when the jailer introduces Chillingworth?
4. Of all the finery in the governor's mansion, what does Pearl cry for most of all?
5. What does Hawthorne say the purpose of the eagle is, which hangs in front of the building?
6. How does Pearl react to other children?
7. Describe what Hawthorne's narrator thinks of Reverend Dimmesdale's voice.
8. In Chapter 2, why might it be Mistress Hibbins who would be in the jail?
9. Does Hawthorne, in the end, decide to change anything?
10. What does Hester refuse to do during this chapter 3, despite pressure from her neighbors?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)