|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
(b) Bull Moose.
2. At the governor's house when the men are debating Hester's custody, what does one of them say Pearl should have been named?
(a) Pinkie, Cora or Rosa.
(b) Scarlet, Rose or Diamond.
(c) Ruby, Scarlet or Roseanna.
(d) Ruby, Coral or Red Rose.
3. What color is Hester's hair?
4. The tone of this preface is best described as...
5. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year was this preface written?
2. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
3. Who is the patient referred to in the title of Chapter 10?
4. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
5. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hawthorne promise to "alter or expunge"?
2. Describe what Hawthorne's narrator thinks of Reverend Dimmesdale's voice.
3. Why does Dimmesdale not see through Chillingworth and understand his true (nefarious) agenda, according to the narrator in Chapter 10?
4. What does Hester refuse to do during this chapter 3, despite pressure from her neighbors?
5. How does Dimmesdale respond to his growing guilt? How does he punish himself?
6. What kind of plant stands outside the prison, offering a contrast in color and form? Describe what the narrator says about it.
7. What does Hawthorne find alongside the scarlet letter?
8. How does Hawthorne describe the inhabitants of Boston?
9. Name one of the two reasons Hawthorne suspects that the plant standing outside the prison survived.
10. Describe the setting Hawthorne describes of the busy wharf.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)