|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
(c) Wit's End.
2. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
(a) Bustling London.
(b) Rural England.
3. What is the health problem wrong with Dimmesdale?
(a) Failing health.
(d) Failing eyesight.
4. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
(a) Third person, limited.
(c) Third person, omniscient.
5. Chapter 6 is named after which character?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
2. Which man in at the governor's argues that Hester should be allowed to keep Pearl?
3. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
4. Who thinks that Hester's punishment/sentence is too light?
5. Where are Dimmesdale's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of all the finery in the governor's mansion, what does Pearl cry for most of all?
2. How does Dimmesdale respond to his growing guilt? How does he punish himself?
3. Describe the people referred to as the five in the following quotation: "If the hussy stood for judgment before us five, that are now here in a knot together"?
4. Does Hawthorne, in the end, decide to change anything?
5. How does Pearl react to other children?
6. Describe the setting Hawthorne describes of the busy wharf.
7. What happens to Hester when the jailer introduces Chillingworth?
8. Name one of the two reasons Hawthorne suspects that the plant standing outside the prison survived.
9. What does Chillingworth implore Hester to do when they meet in the jail?
10. Describe what Hawthorne's narrator thinks of Reverend Dimmesdale's voice.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)