|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(a) Big brother.
(b) The golden eagle.
(c) Uncle Sam.
2. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
(a) His editor.
(b) The Governot.
(c) The Custom's Inspector.
(d) Hester Prynne.
3. What is the health problem wrong with Dimmesdale?
(a) Failing health.
(b) Failing eyesight.
4. Chillingworth has a degree from a university in which country?
5. The tone of this preface is best described as...
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
2. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
3. Which part of <i>The Scarlet Letter</i> does this preface specifically refer to?
4. Who is the patient referred to in the title of Chapter 10?
5. Chapter 6 is named after which character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hester say that Dimmesdale should travel somewhere, "whether in some remote village or in vast London, [...] in Germany, in France," etc?
2. What does Chillingworth implore Hester to do when they meet in the jail?
3. Why does Hester go to meet Dimmesdale in the woods?
4. Describe the door to the jail.
5. In Chapter 13, Hawthorne says that some people would think that Hester's scarlet letter stands for "Able." Why?
6. What is Dimmesdale's argument for keeping Hester and Pearl together?
7. Many people pass Dimmesdale by in this chapter; why are so many people up so late and walking about?
8. What is Hawthorne's emotional state in the preface?
9. What does Hawthorne say the purpose of the eagle is, which hangs in front of the building?
10. Of all the finery in the governor's mansion, what does Pearl cry for most of all?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)