|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
(c) A rose bush.
(d) A weeping willow.
2. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
(b) Hester's pearl necklace.
(c) The ladies in the crowd.
(d) The spikes on the door to the jail.
3. Which field had Bellingham trained for/been educated in?
4. Who is with the governor when Hester visits his house to deliver something?
(a) Wilson and Dimmesdale.
(b) Lee, Chillingworth, and Dimmesdale.
(c) Dimmesdale, Chillingworth and Hibbins.
(d) Wilson, Dimmesdale and Chillingworth.
5. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
(c) Bull Moose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the door to the jail made of?
2. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
3. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
4. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
5. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hawthorne say the purpose of the eagle is, which hangs in front of the building?
2. Describe the clothing worn by the "throng of bearded men" at the beginning of Chapter 1.
3. How does Hawthorne describe the inhabitants of Boston?
4. Describe the setting Hawthorne describes of the busy wharf.
5. In Chapter 2, why might it be Mistress Hibbins who would be in the jail?
6. What kind of skill does Hester use to support herself?
7. Why does Dimmesdale not see through Chillingworth and understand his true (nefarious) agenda, according to the narrator in Chapter 10?
8. Why does Hester stay in town after she is released from jail in Chapter 5?
9. What happens to Hester when the jailer introduces Chillingworth?
10. Why is Hester standing before the townsfolk in the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)