|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which description does not apply to Dimmesdale?
(a) Weak frame.
(c) Nervous temperament.
2. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
3. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
(a) Big House.
(b) Regal Apartment.
(c) Venerated Palace.
(d) Old Manse.
4. How does the narrator describe the former queen of England, Elizabeth I?
5. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
(b) Hester's pearl necklace.
(c) The ladies in the crowd.
(d) The spikes on the door to the jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
2. Who is the patient referred to in the title of Chapter 10?
3. What is Hester delivering to the governor's house when she goes there in Chapter 7?
4. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
5. Who thinks that Hester's punishment/sentence is too light?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hester delivers gloves to the governor, what is the other reason for her going there?
2. What does Hawthorne say the purpose of the eagle is, which hangs in front of the building?
3. What happens to Hester when the jailer introduces Chillingworth?
4. How does Hawthorne describe the inhabitants of Boston?
5. As the relationship between Chillingworth and Dimmesdale develops in Chapter 9, what do the townspeople begin to suspect about Dimmesdale and why?
6. What are some examples of Chillingworth's growing power over Dimmesdale?
7. Why does Hawthorne decide to republish the offending introduction?
8. Of all the finery in the governor's mansion, what does Pearl cry for most of all?
9. What does the governor think about Hester as a mother?
10. What does Hawthorne find alongside the scarlet letter?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)