|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(a) The golden eagle.
(b) Uncle Sam.
(c) Big brother.
2. What quiets Pearl in this when she wants something from the governor's garden?
(a) The appearance of the governor.
(b) The gardener gives her what she wants.
(c) Her obedience to Hester.
(d) Her nanny.
3. The title of Chapter 5 refers to what?
(a) Hester's love life.
(b) Hester's work.
(c) Hester's guilt.
(d) Hester's past.
4. One person suggest that Hester should have an iron brand burned where?
(a) On the palms of her hands.
(b) On her cheek.
(c) On her forehead.
(d) On her chest.
5. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
(a) A weeping willow.
(b) A rose bush.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
2. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
3. Hester's work is seen everywhere with the exception of:
4. The title of Chapter 8 is the what and "the Minister?"
5. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the governor think about Hester as a mother?
2. What kind of skill does Hester use to support herself?
3. What does Hawthorne promise to "alter or expunge"?
4. What kind of plant stands outside the prison, offering a contrast in color and form? Describe what the narrator says about it.
5. Why is "The Leech" an appropriate and significant name for this chapter?
6. How does Hawthorne describe the inhabitants of Boston?
7. How is Chillingworth able to see what Dimmesdale is hiding on his body?
8. What does Chillingworth implore Hester to do when they meet in the jail?
9. Describe the people referred to as the five in the following quotation: "If the hussy stood for judgment before us five, that are now here in a knot together"?
10. What has happened to the original spirit of the town of Salem, as in, to the legacy of the original founders?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)