|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
(a) "beautiful munchkin"
(b) "little elf"
(c) "airy sprite"
(d) "sole treasure"
2. Who is to wear the thing Hester is delivering to the governor's house?
(a) The governor's daughter.
(b) The governor himself.
(c) The governor's wife.
(d) The governor's servants.
3. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
(c) Bustling London.
(d) Rural England.
4. Whose widow is Mistress Hibbins?
(a) The minister's.
(b) The governor's.
(c) The magistrate's.
(d) The narrator's.
5. What is one of Chillingworth's distinguishing physical features?
(a) He is missing most of the toes on his left foot.
(b) He is lame in his right leg.
(c) One of his shoulders is higher than the other.
(d) His left eye droops.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Reverend Dimmesdale trained in religion?
2. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
3. Where does Chillingworth take up residence?
4. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
5. What is Hester delivering to the governor's house when she goes there in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Hawthorne, in the end, decide to change anything?
2. Why is "The Leech" an appropriate and significant name for this chapter?
3. In Chapter 2, why might it be Mistress Hibbins who would be in the jail?
4. Describe the clothing worn by the "throng of bearded men" at the beginning of Chapter 1.
5. How does Dimmesdale respond to his growing guilt? How does he punish himself?
6. Describe the setting Hawthorne describes of the busy wharf.
7. Describe what Hawthorne's narrator thinks of Reverend Dimmesdale's voice.
8. What does Hester refuse to do during this chapter 3, despite pressure from her neighbors?
9. What does Hawthorne find alongside the scarlet letter?
10. As the relationship between Chillingworth and Dimmesdale develops in Chapter 9, what do the townspeople begin to suspect about Dimmesdale and why?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)