|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
(a) He has made too much money from it.
(b) He enjoys the notoriety.
(c) He thinks it is true.
(d) He wants to hurt the victim of his wit.
2. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
3. Whom do Dimmesdale and Chillingworth see out the window at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Hester and Pearl.
(b) Just Pearl.
(c) Just Hester.
(d) Their own reflections.
4. The title of Chapter 5 refers to what?
(a) Hester's work.
(b) Hester's love life.
(c) Hester's guilt.
(d) Hester's past.
5. What is one of Chillingworth's distinguishing physical features?
(a) He is lame in his right leg.
(b) One of his shoulders is higher than the other.
(c) His left eye droops.
(d) He is missing most of the toes on his left foot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the shape of the hats worn in the "throng"?
2. Chapter 6 is named after which character?
3. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
4. What does Pearl desperately desire from the governor's garden?
5. Who is Hester's legal husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dimmesdale's argument for keeping Hester and Pearl together?
2. What has happened to the original spirit of the town of Salem, as in, to the legacy of the original founders?
3. Why is "The Leech" an appropriate and significant name for this chapter?
4. Why does Hawthorne decide to republish the offending introduction?
5. Why does Hawthorne say that it is ironic that Pearl is such a beautiful child, in Chapter 6?
6. Describe the people referred to as the five in the following quotation: "If the hussy stood for judgment before us five, that are now here in a knot together"?
7. What are some examples of Chillingworth's growing power over Dimmesdale?
8. How does Pearl react to other children?
9. How is Chillingworth able to see what Dimmesdale is hiding on his body?
10. As the relationship between Chillingworth and Dimmesdale develops in Chapter 9, what do the townspeople begin to suspect about Dimmesdale and why?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)