|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the shape of the hats worn in the "throng"?
2. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
(a) He thinks it is true.
(b) He enjoys the notoriety.
(c) He has made too much money from it.
(d) He wants to hurt the victim of his wit.
3. Salem is characterized currently as....?
4. Who is the patient referred to in the title of Chapter 10?
5. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
(a) "The Custom-House."
(b) The climax.
(c) The denouement.
(d) "The New England Holiday,"
Short Answer Questions
1. Chose which of the following best describes the tone in the last sentence of Chapter 1?
2. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
3. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
4. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
5. How does the narrator describe the former queen of England, Elizabeth I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hester refuse to do during this chapter 3, despite pressure from her neighbors?
2. What does Hawthorne promise to "alter or expunge"?
3. What happens to Hester when the jailer introduces Chillingworth?
4. What is Hawthorne's emotional state in the preface?
5. What does Hawthorne say the purpose of the eagle is, which hangs in front of the building?
6. In Chapter 2, why might it be Mistress Hibbins who would be in the jail?
7. What is Dimmesdale's argument for keeping Hester and Pearl together?
8. How is Chillingworth able to see what Dimmesdale is hiding on his body?
9. What kind of skill does Hester use to support herself?
10. Why is "The Leech" an appropriate and significant name for this chapter?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)