|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
(b) Wit's End.
2. What color is Hester's hair?
3. To whom does this description refer: "a seemingly careless arrangement of his heterogeneous garb"?
4. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
(a) Uncle Sam.
(b) Apple pie.
(c) An eagle.
(d) The stars and stripes.
5. The "public disapprobation" refers to...?
Short Answer Questions
1. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
2. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
3. The title of Chapter 8 is the what and "the Minister?"
4. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
5. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dimmesdale not see through Chillingworth and understand his true (nefarious) agenda, according to the narrator in Chapter 10?
2. What does the governor think about Hester as a mother?
3. How is Chillingworth able to see what Dimmesdale is hiding on his body?
4. How does Hawthorne describe the inhabitants of Boston?
5. What is Hawthorne's emotional state in the preface?
6. What kind of skill does Hester use to support herself?
7. What does Hawthorne find alongside the scarlet letter?
8. What is Dimmesdale's argument for keeping Hester and Pearl together?
9. Does Hawthorne, in the end, decide to change anything?
10. Why does Hawthorne say that it is ironic that Pearl is such a beautiful child, in Chapter 6?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)