|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Wilson asks Pearl who made her, what does she answer?
(a) That Hester had made her alone.
(b) That a stork had delivered her.
(c) That her mother had picked her off a rose bush.
(d) That Dimmesdale is her father.
2. To whom does this description refer: "a seemingly careless arrangement of his heterogeneous garb"?
3. The title of Chapter 8 is the what and "the Minister?"
(a) The Elf-Child and the Minister.
(b) The Miniature and the Minstrel.
(c) The Elfin and the Minister.
(d) The Minstrel and the Minister.
4. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
5. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
(a) The fourth.
(b) The second.
(c) The third.
(d) The first.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which field had Bellingham trained for/been educated in?
2. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
3. Whom do Dimmesdale and Chillingworth see out the window at the end of Chapter 10?
4. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
5. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dimmesdale not see through Chillingworth and understand his true (nefarious) agenda, according to the narrator in Chapter 10?
2. What is Dimmesdale's argument for keeping Hester and Pearl together?
3. Describe the setting Hawthorne describes of the busy wharf.
4. What does Hawthorne find alongside the scarlet letter?
5. What kind of skill does Hester use to support herself?
6. How does Hawthorne describe the inhabitants of Boston?
7. Describe the door to the jail.
8. What has happened to the original spirit of the town of Salem, as in, to the legacy of the original founders?
9. As the relationship between Chillingworth and Dimmesdale develops in Chapter 9, what do the townspeople begin to suspect about Dimmesdale and why?
10. What does the governor think about Hester as a mother?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)