|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Reverend Dimmesdale trained in religion?
2. Who is Hester's legal husband?
3. Where are Dimmesdale's parents?
(b) In Boston.
(c) In England.
(d) In Salem.
4. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
5. When Wilson asks Pearl who made her, what does she answer?
(a) That Hester had made her alone.
(b) That a stork had delivered her.
(c) That Dimmesdale is her father.
(d) That her mother had picked her off a rose bush.
Short Answer Questions
1. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
2. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
3. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
4. Whom do Dimmesdale and Chillingworth see out the window at the end of Chapter 10?
5. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Chillingworth able to see what Dimmesdale is hiding on his body?
2. Describe the door to the jail.
3. Why is Hester standing before the townsfolk in the beginning of the novel?
4. How does Hawthorne describe the inhabitants of Boston?
5. Why does Hawthorne decide to republish the offending introduction?
6. What happens to Hester when the jailer introduces Chillingworth?
7. Of all the finery in the governor's mansion, what does Pearl cry for most of all?
8. How does Pearl react to other children?
9. When Hester delivers gloves to the governor, what is the other reason for her going there?
10. In Chapter 2, why might it be Mistress Hibbins who would be in the jail?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)