|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
2. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
3. In which year was this preface written?
4. The title of Chapter 8 is the what and "the Minister?"
(a) The Miniature and the Minstrel.
(b) The Elfin and the Minister.
(c) The Elf-Child and the Minister.
(d) The Minstrel and the Minister.
5. Chapter 6 is named after which character?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
2. What is the title of Chapter 3?
3. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
4. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
5. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of all the finery in the governor's mansion, what does Pearl cry for most of all?
2. When Hester delivers gloves to the governor, what is the other reason for her going there?
3. In Chapter 2, why might it be Mistress Hibbins who would be in the jail?
4. What kind of plant stands outside the prison, offering a contrast in color and form? Describe what the narrator says about it.
5. What are some examples of Chillingworth's growing power over Dimmesdale?
6. Why does Hawthorne say that it is ironic that Pearl is such a beautiful child, in Chapter 6?
7. Does Hawthorne, in the end, decide to change anything?
8. What does Hawthorne promise to "alter or expunge"?
9. Why does Hawthorne decide to republish the offending introduction?
10. How does Pearl react to other children?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)