|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hester tell Dimmesdale about Chillingworth in Chapter 17?
(a) That he is her husband.
(b) That he is not really a doctor.
(c) That he is really a Catholic.
(d) That he is on an undercover mission for the governor.
2. Who in the audience taunts Hester and Pearl at the appearance of Dimmesdale?
3. When Hester exclaims "better he had died at once!," to whom is she referring in Chapter 14?
(b) The new governor.
(d) The old governor.
4. Whom does Dimmesdale set out to meet?
(a) Disciple Adrian.
(b) Apostle Eliot.
(c) Apostle Elias.
(d) Disciple Ellison.
5. In what month does this "obscure night" take place in Chapter 12?
6. What had Dimmesdale been doing to himself?
(a) He had been fasting.
(b) He had been treating his own illness.
(c) He had been staying awake all night.
(d) He had been self-flagellating.
7. What is Hester wearing on the public holiday in Chapter 21?
(a) Coarse gray cloth.
(b) Fine scarlet gown.
(c) A white wedding gown.
(d) A plain blue dress.
8. Where does the minister go in the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) To Hester's.
(b) To church.
(c) To the scaffold.
(d) To the governor's.
9. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
(a) The scarlet letter.
(b) Chillingworth's malice.
(c) The meteor/falling star.
(d) Pearl's eyes.
10. Which of the following is NOT used by the narrator to describe Pearl in Chapter 21?
11. What is the title of Chapter 20?
(a) "The Minister in the Middle."
(b) "The Minister in a Maze."
(c) "The Mysterious Minister."
(d) "The Minister in the Mirror."
12. What does Pearl do when Dimmesdale kisses her?
(a) She wipes it on Hester's scarlet letter.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She kisses him back.
(d) She washes it off.
13. What is the title of Chapter 14?
(a) Hester and the Physician.
(b) Hester and the Magician.
(c) The Doctor and Mrs. Chillingworth.
(d) The Magical Doctor.
14. Hester says that Pearl is "strange" and what at first?
15. What, according to many of the townspeople who have come to appreciate Hester, should the A stand for?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the "grim, ugly-eyed old man" who recognizes Pearl?
2. When Pearl repeatedly asks Hester what the letter stand for, what does Hester tell her in Chapter 15?
3. What describes Dimmesdale's hand, when Hester touches it?
4. What is the title of Chapter 17?
5. What metal is the previously mentioned book and pen associated with?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)