|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Its ranks were filled with gentlemen, who felt the stirrings of martial impulse" describes which group of men in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
(a) The public officials.
(b) The soliders.
(c) The musicians.
(d) The clergy.
2. What is the title of Chapter 18?
(a) A Flood of Brightness.
(b) A River of Tears.
(c) An Ectasy of Light.
(d) A Flood of Sunshine.
3. Why will Pearl not come to Hester in Chapter 19?
(a) She has taken off the letter.
(b) She is talking with a man.
(c) She is across the brook.
(d) She is angry at her mother.
4. This group in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22 was showing "a stamp of majesty that made the warrior's haughty stride look vulgar"?
(a) The sailors.
(b) The musicians.
(c) The public officials.
(d) The soldiers.
5. What is the title of Chapter 20?
(a) "The Minister in the Mirror."
(b) "The Minister in a Maze."
(c) "The Minister in the Middle."
(d) "The Mysterious Minister."
6. Where is the ship the Spanish Main sailing?
7. Whom does Hester decide to seek out for a meeting at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) Her (former) husband.
(b) Her lover.
(c) Her confessor.
(d) Her daughter.
8. Who is said to haunt the forest outside town, carrying a big, heavy book with him?
(a) The Dark Man.
(b) The Evil Man.
(c) The Black Man.
(d) The Dark Reverend.
9. In what month does this "obscure night" take place in Chapter 12?
10. Why do Hester and Dimmesdale chose the place they do to escape to?
(a) Hester's profession.
(b) Dimmedale's profession.
(c) Hester's criminal record.
(d) Dimmesdale's health.
11. Where is Hester when Chillingworth leaves, "his gray beard almost" touching the ground?
(a) At the roominghouse.
(b) In the woods.
(c) At the governor's.
(d) In church.
12. Next to whom is Hester Prynne eventually buried?
(a) Chillingworth, her husband.
(c) No one--she is buried alone.
13. Which of the following is NOT an explanation for Dimmesdale's "red stigma"?
(a) Chillingworth did it.
(b) God did it.
(c) Hester put it there.
(d) The minister did it to himself.
14. What marks particular attendants of the holiday as members of their forest settlements?
(a) Their deer-skin clothing.
(b) Their rough speech.
(c) Their scarlet F's.
(d) Their long hair.
15. What is the holiday referred to in the title of Chapter 21?
(a) The arrival of the new governor.
(d) The birth of the new prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT used by the narrator to describe Pearl in Chapter 21?
2. Hester says that Pearl is "strange" and what at first?
3. What group of people leads the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
4. Where does Dimmesdale imagine a "scarlet token?"
5. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)