|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the letter A Pearl fashions for herself out of natural objects ?
2. How is Hibbins related to the Governor?
(a) His sister.
(b) No relation.
(c) His sister-in-law.
(d) His daughter.
3. What is Hester wearing on the public holiday in Chapter 21?
(a) Coarse gray cloth.
(b) A plain blue dress.
(c) A white wedding gown.
(d) Fine scarlet gown.
4. Dimmesdale's voice is compared to what natural phenomenon in Chapter 23?
(a) Twisting branches of a dead oak.
(b) Surging wind of the coast.
(c) Patter of raindrops on the roof.
(d) Swelling waves of the sea.
5. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
(a) From the Black Man.
(b) From the Dark Reverend.
(c) From the Dark Man.
(d) From Mistress Hibbins.
6. Why, according to Pearl, does sunshine "run away and hide itself" from Hester?
(a) Because of her fair skin.
(b) Because of her long gray dress.
(c) Because of the scarlet letter.
(d) Because of the foliage.
7. John Wilson is described as having what relationship to Dimmesdale?
(a) One of his clerical brethern.
(b) One of his holy fathers.
(c) One of his fatherly teachers.
(d) One of his mystical mates.
8. Where does Dimmesdale imagine a "scarlet token?"
(a) On Hester.
(b) On his chest.
(c) On his forehead.
(d) On Pearl.
9. What is the holiday referred to in the title of Chapter 21?
(a) The birth of the new prince.
(b) The arrival of the new governor.
10. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
(a) "A mysterious maze."
(b) "A fletched arrow."
(c) "A red-hot iron."
(d) "A tall white pedestal."
11. In what month does this "obscure night" take place in Chapter 12?
12. What marks particular attendants of the holiday as members of their forest settlements?
(a) Their rough speech.
(b) Their scarlet F's.
(c) Their deer-skin clothing.
(d) Their long hair.
13. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) The Pastor and His Parishoner.
(b) The Pastor and His Parish.
(c) The Pastor and the Thief.
(d) The Pastor and His Lover.
14. Whom does Dimmesdale call up to join him in front of everyone?
(a) Hester and Pearl.
15. Dimmesdale claims that his scarlet letter burns how?
(a) In secret.
(b) On his soul.
(c) On the inside.
(d) In God's eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19, how does Dimmesdale say Pearl looks?
2. Which of the following creatures is not mentioned while Pearl plays on the shore?
3. While she is playing, Pearl makes a little boat out of what?
4. Where does the minister go in the beginning of Chapter 12?
5. When Hester exclaims "better he had died at once!," to whom is she referring in Chapter 14?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)