|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hester is a self-ordained what?
(a) Sister of Integrity.
(b) Sister of Chastity.
(c) Sister of Sin.
(d) Sister of Mercy.
2. Why is Dimmesdale at the town center Chapter 12?
(a) To shame Hester.
(b) To proclaim his guilt in public.
(c) To trick Chillingworth.
(d) To stand side by side with Hester.
3. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
(a) "A red-hot iron."
(b) "A fletched arrow."
(c) "A tall white pedestal."
(d) "A mysterious maze."
4. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
(a) A grimace.
(b) A smile.
(c) A wink.
(d) A shrug.
5. What is the holiday referred to in the title of Chapter 21?
(a) The arrival of the new governor.
(c) The birth of the new prince.
6. When Pearl will not cross the brook, what does Hester tell her she can leap like?
(a) Little girls.
(b) Bull frog.
(c) Young deer.
(d) Giant grasshopper.
7. Dimmesdale's voice is compared to what natural phenomenon in Chapter 23?
(a) Surging wind of the coast.
(b) Swelling waves of the sea.
(c) Patter of raindrops on the roof.
(d) Twisting branches of a dead oak.
8. Who retrieves the object that Hester flings away?
(a) No one.
9. What had Dimmesdale been doing to himself?
(a) He had been self-flagellating.
(b) He had been fasting.
(c) He had been staying awake all night.
(d) He had been treating his own illness.
10. What, according to many of the townspeople who have come to appreciate Hester, should the A stand for?
11. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) The Pastor and His Parishoner.
(b) The Pastor and His Parish.
(c) The Pastor and His Lover.
(d) The Pastor and the Thief.
12. What color is the letter A Pearl fashions for herself out of natural objects ?
13. What is the title of Chapter 14?
(a) The Magical Doctor.
(b) Hester and the Physician.
(c) The Doctor and Mrs. Chillingworth.
(d) Hester and the Magician.
14. Why do Hester and Dimmesdale chose the place they do to escape to?
(a) Dimmesdale's health.
(b) Hester's criminal record.
(c) Dimmedale's profession.
(d) Hester's profession.
15. Whom does Dimmesdale call up to join him in front of everyone?
(a) Hester and Pearl.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does this "obscure night" take place in Chapter 12?
2. Which of the following is NOT used by the narrator to describe Pearl in Chapter 21?
3. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
4. Hester says that Pearl is "strange" and what at first?
5. Which of the following is NOT an explanation for Dimmesdale's "red stigma"?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)