|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is said to ride "with Satan through the air?"
2. Who is mentioned in Chapter 13 as a "foundress of a religious sect?"
(a) Mother Theresa.
3. What does Dimmesdale tell Chillingworth while he is writing the sermon is Chapter 20?
(a) That he no longer needs his services as doctor.
(b) That he is feeling close to death.
(c) That he knows Chillingworth's true identity.
(d) That he knows who Hester's lover is.
4. Why is Dimmesdale at the town center Chapter 12?
(a) To trick Chillingworth.
(b) To proclaim his guilt in public.
(c) To shame Hester.
(d) To stand side by side with Hester.
5. Why, according to Pearl, does sunshine "run away and hide itself" from Hester?
(a) Because of the foliage.
(b) Because of the scarlet letter.
(c) Because of her long gray dress.
(d) Because of her fair skin.
6. What is the holiday referred to in the title of Chapter 21?
(a) The arrival of the new governor.
(c) The birth of the new prince.
7. What suggests that Pearl will have a child of her own at the end of the novel?
(a) Pearl's stomach is large.
(b) Hester is sewing infant clothes.
(c) Pearl has gotten married quickly.
(d) Hester calls herself "Grandma Hester."
8. With what kind of natural objects has Pearl decorated herself in Chapter 18?
(b) Maple leaves.
(c) Sand and driftwood.
9. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
(a) A grimace.
(b) A wink.
(c) A shrug.
(d) A smile.
10. According to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth's revenge has been "____ than [his] sin"?
11. Next to whom is Hester Prynne eventually buried?
(c) Chillingworth, her husband.
(d) No one--she is buried alone.
12. How does the narrator characterize Dimmesdale's sermon?
(a) The narrator disparages it.
(b) The narrator exhalts it.
(c) The narrator neither praises nor diminshes it.
(d) The narrator ignores it.
13. What color is the letter A Pearl fashions for herself out of natural objects ?
14. What is Hester wearing on the public holiday in Chapter 21?
(a) Coarse gray cloth.
(b) A plain blue dress.
(c) Fine scarlet gown.
(d) A white wedding gown.
15. Which of the following creatures is not mentioned while Pearl plays on the shore?
(c) Horseshoe crab.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hester mean when she says "Thou shalt not go alone" at the end of Chapter 17?
2. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
3. Dimmesdale's voice is compared to what natural phenomenon in Chapter 23?
4. Where have Hester and Dimmesdale decided would be the best place to escape to?
5. When Pearl will not cross the brook, what does Hester tell her she can leap like?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)