|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Next to whom is Hester Prynne eventually buried?
(b) Chillingworth, her husband.
(c) No one--she is buried alone.
2. Who inherited money and property from Chillingworth?
(a) The church.
(c) His biological children.
3. Who in the audience taunts Hester and Pearl at the appearance of Dimmesdale?
4. Why will Pearl not come to Hester in Chapter 19?
(a) She has taken off the letter.
(b) She is talking with a man.
(c) She is angry at her mother.
(d) She is across the brook.
5. Whom does Hester decide to seek out for a meeting at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) Her lover.
(b) Her (former) husband.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her confessor.
6. What suggests that Pearl will have a child of her own at the end of the novel?
(a) Hester calls herself "Grandma Hester."
(b) Pearl has gotten married quickly.
(c) Hester is sewing infant clothes.
(d) Pearl's stomach is large.
7. How long did it take before Chillingworth died?
(a) Five years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Less than a year.
(d) Immediately after Dimmesdale.
8. Which of the following creatures is not mentioned while Pearl plays on the shore?
(b) Horseshoe crab.
9. Who are the "rough-looking desperadoes, with sun-blackened faces" at the holiday in Chapter 21?
10. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
11. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
(a) From the Black Man.
(b) From the Dark Man.
(c) From Mistress Hibbins.
(d) From the Dark Reverend.
12. How is Hibbins related to the Governor?
(a) His sister-in-law.
(b) His daughter.
(c) No relation.
(d) His sister.
13. What does Hester tell Dimmesdale about Chillingworth in Chapter 17?
(a) That he is really a Catholic.
(b) That he is not really a doctor.
(c) That he is her husband.
(d) That he is on an undercover mission for the governor.
14. Pearl recognizes a man in the procession who did what?
(a) Gave her a red rose from his garden.
(b) Stole money from Hester.
(c) Visited Hester and her in jail.
(d) Kissed her by the brook.
15. Where does the minister go in the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) To the scaffold.
(b) To church.
(c) To the governor's.
(d) To Hester's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Dimmesdale call up to join him in front of everyone?
2. Hester says that Pearl is "strange" and what at first?
3. With what kind of natural objects has Pearl decorated herself in Chapter 18?
4. Who is said to haunt the forest outside town, carrying a big, heavy book with him?
5. What does Chillingworth say in Chapter 14 the town council has been debating?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)