|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hester wearing on the public holiday in Chapter 21?
(a) A plain blue dress.
(b) A white wedding gown.
(c) Coarse gray cloth.
(d) Fine scarlet gown.
2. What suggests that Pearl will have a child of her own at the end of the novel?
(a) Pearl's stomach is large.
(b) Hester is sewing infant clothes.
(c) Pearl has gotten married quickly.
(d) Hester calls herself "Grandma Hester."
3. What does Dimmesdale tell Chillingworth while he is writing the sermon is Chapter 20?
(a) That he knows Chillingworth's true identity.
(b) That he no longer needs his services as doctor.
(c) That he is feeling close to death.
(d) That he knows who Hester's lover is.
4. Next to whom is Hester Prynne eventually buried?
(b) Chillingworth, her husband.
(d) No one--she is buried alone.
5. How long did it take before Chillingworth died?
(a) Immediately after Dimmesdale.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Less than a year.
6. What does Chillingworth say in Chapter 14 the town council has been debating?
(a) Whether to arrest Hester again.
(b) Whether to take away the scarlet letter.
(c) Whether to take away Pearl from Hester.
(d) Whether to exile Hester from Boston.
7. Hester is a self-ordained what?
(a) Sister of Sin.
(b) Sister of Integrity.
(c) Sister of Mercy.
(d) Sister of Chastity.
8. Who is said to ride "with Satan through the air?"
9. Why, according to Pearl, does sunshine "run away and hide itself" from Hester?
(a) Because of her fair skin.
(b) Because of the scarlet letter.
(c) Because of the foliage.
(d) Because of her long gray dress.
10. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
(a) A grimace.
(b) A wink.
(c) A shrug.
(d) A smile.
11. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
(a) Chillingworth's herbs.
(b) Her bonnet.
(c) Her scarlet letter.
(d) Dimmesdale's Bible.
12. How does the narrator characterize Dimmesdale's sermon?
(a) The narrator neither praises nor diminshes it.
(b) The narrator disparages it.
(c) The narrator exhalts it.
(d) The narrator ignores it.
13. Whom does Hester decide to seek out for a meeting at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) Her (former) husband.
(b) Her daughter.
(c) Her confessor.
(d) Her lover.
14. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) The Pastor and His Parishoner.
(b) The Pastor and His Lover.
(c) The Pastor and the Thief.
(d) The Pastor and His Parish.
15. While she is playing, Pearl makes a little boat out of what?
(a) Birch bark.
(c) Sand dollars.
(d) Sea weed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT used by the narrator to describe Pearl in Chapter 21?
2. Dimmesdale's voice is compared to what natural phenomenon in Chapter 23?
3. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
4. In what month does this "obscure night" take place in Chapter 12?
5. John Wilson is described as having what relationship to Dimmesdale?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)