|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While she is playing, Pearl makes a little boat out of what?
(a) Sea weed.
(b) Sand dollars.
(d) Birch bark.
2. Why, according to Pearl, does sunshine "run away and hide itself" from Hester?
(a) Because of the foliage.
(b) Because of her fair skin.
(c) Because of her long gray dress.
(d) Because of the scarlet letter.
3. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
(a) "A tall white pedestal."
(b) "A fletched arrow."
(c) "A mysterious maze."
(d) "A red-hot iron."
4. What metal is the previously mentioned book and pen associated with?
5. What does Dimmesdale tell Chillingworth while he is writing the sermon is Chapter 20?
(a) That he no longer needs his services as doctor.
(b) That he knows Chillingworth's true identity.
(c) That he is feeling close to death.
(d) That he knows who Hester's lover is.
6. Where is Hester when Chillingworth leaves, "his gray beard almost" touching the ground?
(a) At the roominghouse.
(b) In church.
(c) At the governor's.
(d) In the woods.
7. Why will Pearl not come to Hester in Chapter 19?
(a) She is talking with a man.
(b) She is across the brook.
(c) She has taken off the letter.
(d) She is angry at her mother.
8. What, according to many of the townspeople who have come to appreciate Hester, should the A stand for?
9. What is Hester wearing on the public holiday in Chapter 21?
(a) A white wedding gown.
(b) Coarse gray cloth.
(c) Fine scarlet gown.
(d) A plain blue dress.
10. What does Pearl do with sea weed?
(a) Spreads it along the beach.
(b) Wraps it about her head.
(c) Lines her pockets with it.
(d) Eats it.
11. How is Hibbins related to the Governor?
(a) No relation.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His sister-in-law.
(d) His sister.
12. Pearl recognizes a man in the procession who did what?
(a) Stole money from Hester.
(b) Gave her a red rose from his garden.
(c) Visited Hester and her in jail.
(d) Kissed her by the brook.
13. Hester says that Pearl is "strange" and what at first?
14. Where does Dimmesdale hold his hand often throughout the novel?
(a) Clutching the Bible.
(b) Over his heart.
(c) In his pocket.
(d) Over his eyes.
15. Who is said to haunt the forest outside town, carrying a big, heavy book with him?
(a) The Dark Man.
(b) The Dark Reverend.
(c) The Black Man.
(d) The Evil Man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 20?
2. Whom does Hester decide to seek out for a meeting at the end of Chapter 13?
3. Dimmesdale claims that his scarlet letter burns how?
4. Where have Hester and Dimmesdale decided would be the best place to escape to?
5. Despite his triumph in delivering the sermon in Chapter 23, how does Dimmesdale appear?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)