|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pearl do with sea weed?
(a) Wraps it about her head.
(b) Spreads it along the beach.
(c) Eats it.
(d) Lines her pockets with it.
2. What is the title of Chapter 20?
(a) "The Mysterious Minister."
(b) "The Minister in the Middle."
(c) "The Minister in a Maze."
(d) "The Minister in the Mirror."
3. Who is said to haunt the forest outside town, carrying a big, heavy book with him?
(a) The Black Man.
(b) The Dark Reverend.
(c) The Evil Man.
(d) The Dark Man.
4. In what month does this "obscure night" take place in Chapter 12?
5. Who in the audience taunts Hester and Pearl at the appearance of Dimmesdale?
6. Which of the following is NOT an explanation for Dimmesdale's "red stigma"?
(a) Hester put it there.
(b) God did it.
(c) Chillingworth did it.
(d) The minister did it to himself.
7. According to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth's revenge has been "____ than [his] sin"?
8. How many years have passed so far in this novel, in Chapter 13?
(c) Less than one.
9. What had Dimmesdale been doing to himself?
(a) He had been fasting.
(b) He had been staying awake all night.
(c) He had been treating his own illness.
(d) He had been self-flagellating.
10. What is Dimmesdale's "own red stigma"?
(a) A scarlet letter he wears underneath his jacket.
(b) His guilt.
(d) An "A" carved in his chest.
11. How does the narrator characterize Dimmesdale's sermon?
(a) The narrator ignores it.
(b) The narrator neither praises nor diminshes it.
(c) The narrator disparages it.
(d) The narrator exhalts it.
12. Whom does Hester decide to seek out for a meeting at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) Her (former) husband.
(b) Her confessor.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her lover.
13. Where is Hester when Chillingworth leaves, "his gray beard almost" touching the ground?
(a) In the woods.
(b) At the roominghouse.
(c) In church.
(d) At the governor's.
14. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
(a) "A red-hot iron."
(b) "A fletched arrow."
(c) "A mysterious maze."
(d) "A tall white pedestal."
15. Pearl recognizes a man in the procession who did what?
(a) Gave her a red rose from his garden.
(b) Kissed her by the brook.
(c) Stole money from Hester.
(d) Visited Hester and her in jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dimmesdale at the town center Chapter 12?
2. Which of the following is NOT used by the narrator to describe Pearl in Chapter 21?
3. Dimmesdale's voice is compared to what natural phenomenon in Chapter 23?
4. Dimmesdale learns that he is preach what important sermon?
5. Whom does Dimmesdale set out to meet?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)