|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dimmesdale claims that his scarlet letter burns how?
(a) In God's eyes.
(b) On his soul.
(c) On the inside.
(d) In secret.
2. Dimmesdale's voice is compared to what natural phenomenon in Chapter 23?
(a) Swelling waves of the sea.
(b) Surging wind of the coast.
(c) Patter of raindrops on the roof.
(d) Twisting branches of a dead oak.
3. This group in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22 was showing "a stamp of majesty that made the warrior's haughty stride look vulgar"?
(a) The sailors.
(b) The soldiers.
(c) The public officials.
(d) The musicians.
4. Whom does Dimmesdale call up to join him in front of everyone?
(b) Hester and Pearl.
5. What does Pearl do with sea weed?
(a) Spreads it along the beach.
(b) Wraps it about her head.
(c) Eats it.
(d) Lines her pockets with it.
6. What does Hester tell Dimmesdale about Chillingworth in Chapter 17?
(a) That he is not really a doctor.
(b) That he is really a Catholic.
(c) That he is her husband.
(d) That he is on an undercover mission for the governor.
7. With what kind of natural objects has Pearl decorated herself in Chapter 18?
(b) Maple leaves.
(d) Sand and driftwood.
8. Where does Dimmesdale imagine a "scarlet token?"
(a) On his forehead.
(b) On Hester.
(c) On Pearl.
(d) On his chest.
9. Despite his triumph in delivering the sermon in Chapter 23, how does Dimmesdale appear?
(a) "Delicate and forlorn."
(b) "Hale and hearty."
(c) "Wanton and wan."
(d) "Feeble and pale."
10. Who, in the procession, "exhibited such energy as was seen in the gait and air"?
11. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
(a) The scarlet letter.
(b) The meteor/falling star.
(c) Pearl's eyes.
(d) Chillingworth's malice.
12. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
(a) Her bonnet.
(b) Dimmesdale's Bible.
(c) Chillingworth's herbs.
(d) Her scarlet letter.
13. What is the holiday referred to in the title of Chapter 21?
(a) The birth of the new prince.
(d) The arrival of the new governor.
14. How many years have passed so far in this novel, in Chapter 13?
(a) Less than one.
15. Who are the "rough-looking desperadoes, with sun-blackened faces" at the holiday in Chapter 21?
Short Answer Questions
1. Hester is a self-ordained what?
2. Who in the audience taunts Hester and Pearl at the appearance of Dimmesdale?
3. Where have Hester and Dimmesdale decided would be the best place to escape to?
4. Why, according to Pearl, does sunshine "run away and hide itself" from Hester?
5. When Dimmesdale exclaims, "O Thou to whom I dare not life mine eyes," whom is he addressing?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)