|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hester tell Dimmesdale about Chillingworth in Chapter 17?
(a) That he is not really a doctor.
(b) That he is her husband.
(c) That he is on an undercover mission for the governor.
(d) That he is really a Catholic.
2. What is Dimmesdale's "own red stigma"?
(a) His guilt.
(b) An "A" carved in his chest.
(c) A scarlet letter he wears underneath his jacket.
3. What does Chillingworth say in Chapter 14 the town council has been debating?
(a) Whether to arrest Hester again.
(b) Whether to take away Pearl from Hester.
(c) Whether to take away the scarlet letter.
(d) Whether to exile Hester from Boston.
4. What, according to many of the townspeople who have come to appreciate Hester, should the A stand for?
5. Why is Dimmesdale at the town center Chapter 12?
(a) To shame Hester.
(b) To trick Chillingworth.
(c) To stand side by side with Hester.
(d) To proclaim his guilt in public.
6. What suggests that Pearl will have a child of her own at the end of the novel?
(a) Pearl's stomach is large.
(b) Hester is sewing infant clothes.
(c) Hester calls herself "Grandma Hester."
(d) Pearl has gotten married quickly.
7. Despite his triumph in delivering the sermon in Chapter 23, how does Dimmesdale appear?
(a) "Feeble and pale."
(b) "Hale and hearty."
(c) "Wanton and wan."
(d) "Delicate and forlorn."
8. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) The Pastor and His Parishoner.
(b) The Pastor and His Parish.
(c) The Pastor and the Thief.
(d) The Pastor and His Lover.
9. John Wilson is described as having what relationship to Dimmesdale?
(a) One of his fatherly teachers.
(b) One of his mystical mates.
(c) One of his holy fathers.
(d) One of his clerical brethern.
10. Whom does Dimmesdale call up to join him in front of everyone?
(d) Hester and Pearl.
11. Who inherited money and property from Chillingworth?
(a) The church.
(c) His biological children.
12. Who is said to ride "with Satan through the air?"
13. Hester is a self-ordained what?
(a) Sister of Sin.
(b) Sister of Mercy.
(c) Sister of Integrity.
(d) Sister of Chastity.
14. What is the title of Chapter 20?
(a) "The Minister in the Mirror."
(b) "The Mysterious Minister."
(c) "The Minister in the Middle."
(d) "The Minister in a Maze."
15. Why will Pearl not come to Hester in Chapter 19?
(a) She is across the brook.
(b) She has taken off the letter.
(c) She is talking with a man.
(d) She is angry at her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What describes Dimmesdale's hand, when Hester touches it?
2. When Pearl repeatedly asks Hester what the letter stand for, what does Hester tell her in Chapter 15?
3. What had Dimmesdale been doing to himself?
4. Who is mentioned in Chapter 13 as a "foundress of a religious sect?"
5. Dimmesdale's voice is compared to what natural phenomenon in Chapter 23?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)