|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize Dimmesdale's sermon?
(a) The narrator neither praises nor diminshes it.
(b) The narrator disparages it.
(c) The narrator ignores it.
(d) The narrator exhalts it.
2. Which of the following is NOT an explanation for Dimmesdale's "red stigma"?
(a) Chillingworth did it.
(b) God did it.
(c) The minister did it to himself.
(d) Hester put it there.
3. Who is said to ride "with Satan through the air?"
4. Who, in the procession, "exhibited such energy as was seen in the gait and air"?
5. Who is said to haunt the forest outside town, carrying a big, heavy book with him?
(a) The Evil Man.
(b) The Dark Reverend.
(c) The Dark Man.
(d) The Black Man.
6. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
(a) The meteor/falling star.
(b) The scarlet letter.
(c) Pearl's eyes.
(d) Chillingworth's malice.
7. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
(a) A shrug.
(b) A grimace.
(c) A smile.
(d) A wink.
8. Who is the "grim, ugly-eyed old man" who recognizes Pearl?
(a) Hester's former husband.
(b) The old governor.
(c) Her father.
(d) The old jailer.
9. Which of the following is NOT used by the narrator to describe Pearl in Chapter 21?
10. Who in the audience taunts Hester and Pearl at the appearance of Dimmesdale?
11. Hester is a self-ordained what?
(a) Sister of Integrity.
(b) Sister of Sin.
(c) Sister of Chastity.
(d) Sister of Mercy.
12. Despite his triumph in delivering the sermon in Chapter 23, how does Dimmesdale appear?
(a) "Delicate and forlorn."
(b) "Feeble and pale."
(c) "Wanton and wan."
(d) "Hale and hearty."
13. Whom does Dimmesdale set out to meet?
(a) Apostle Elias.
(b) Disciple Adrian.
(c) Apostle Eliot.
(d) Disciple Ellison.
14. Next to whom is Hester Prynne eventually buried?
(b) Chillingworth, her husband.
(c) No one--she is buried alone.
15. When Dimmesdale exclaims, "O Thou to whom I dare not life mine eyes," whom is he addressing?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does this "obscure night" take place in Chapter 12?
2. What is Dimmesdale's "own red stigma"?
3. What color is the letter A Pearl fashions for herself out of natural objects ?
4. Hester says that Pearl is "strange" and what at first?
5. Which of the following creatures is not mentioned while Pearl plays on the shore?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)