|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why will Pearl not come to Hester in Chapter 19?
(a) She has taken off the letter.
(b) She is angry at her mother.
(c) She is talking with a man.
(d) She is across the brook.
2. What describes Dimmesdale's hand, when Hester touches it?
(b) "Chill as death."
(c) "Cold as ice. "
3. How many years have passed so far in this novel, in Chapter 13?
(c) Less than one.
4. Next to whom is Hester Prynne eventually buried?
(c) Chillingworth, her husband.
(d) No one--she is buried alone.
5. Which of the following is NOT used by the narrator to describe Pearl in Chapter 21?
6. What metal is the previously mentioned book and pen associated with?
7. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
(a) From Mistress Hibbins.
(b) From the Black Man.
(c) From the Dark Man.
(d) From the Dark Reverend.
8. Who inherited money and property from Chillingworth?
(a) His biological children.
(b) The church.
9. Who is the "grim, ugly-eyed old man" who recognizes Pearl?
(a) Her father.
(b) The old governor.
(c) The old jailer.
(d) Hester's former husband.
10. What does Pearl do when Dimmesdale kisses her?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She washes it off.
(c) She kisses him back.
(d) She wipes it on Hester's scarlet letter.
11. Why do Hester and Dimmesdale chose the place they do to escape to?
(a) Dimmedale's profession.
(b) Hester's criminal record.
(c) Dimmesdale's health.
(d) Hester's profession.
12. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) The Pastor and His Lover.
(b) The Pastor and the Thief.
(c) The Pastor and His Parish.
(d) The Pastor and His Parishoner.
13. What is Hester wearing on the public holiday in Chapter 21?
(a) A white wedding gown.
(b) Fine scarlet gown.
(c) Coarse gray cloth.
(d) A plain blue dress.
14. Where does Dimmesdale hold his hand often throughout the novel?
(a) In his pocket.
(b) Over his heart.
(c) Over his eyes.
(d) Clutching the Bible.
15. Who is mentioned in Chapter 13 as a "foundress of a religious sect?"
(b) Mother Theresa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hester is a self-ordained what?
2. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
3. How is Hibbins related to the Governor?
4. When Pearl will not cross the brook, what does Hester tell her she can leap like?
5. What does Hester mean when she says "Thou shalt not go alone" at the end of Chapter 17?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)