|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dimmesdale's voice is compared to what natural phenomenon in Chapter 23?
(a) Twisting branches of a dead oak.
(b) Surging wind of the coast.
(c) Swelling waves of the sea.
(d) Patter of raindrops on the roof.
2. What does Pearl do when Dimmesdale kisses her?
(a) She kisses him back.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She washes it off.
(d) She wipes it on Hester's scarlet letter.
3. Who in the audience taunts Hester and Pearl at the appearance of Dimmesdale?
4. When Pearl will not cross the brook, what does Hester tell her she can leap like?
(a) Little girls.
(b) Giant grasshopper.
(c) Bull frog.
(d) Young deer.
5. Hester is a self-ordained what?
(a) Sister of Sin.
(b) Sister of Integrity.
(c) Sister of Mercy.
(d) Sister of Chastity.
6. Where does Dimmesdale hold his hand often throughout the novel?
(a) Over his heart.
(b) In his pocket.
(c) Over his eyes.
(d) Clutching the Bible.
7. According to the narrator, which of the following has NOT been one of Hester's "teachers"?
8. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
9. Where is the ship the Spanish Main sailing?
10. Why do Hester and Dimmesdale chose the place they do to escape to?
(a) Dimmedale's profession.
(b) Hester's criminal record.
(c) Dimmesdale's health.
(d) Hester's profession.
11. What marks particular attendants of the holiday as members of their forest settlements?
(a) Their rough speech.
(b) Their scarlet F's.
(c) Their long hair.
(d) Their deer-skin clothing.
12. What group of people leads the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
(a) The clergy.
(b) The public officials.
(c) The soldiers.
(d) The musicians.
13. How does the narrator characterize Dimmesdale's sermon?
(a) The narrator disparages it.
(b) The narrator exhalts it.
(c) The narrator neither praises nor diminshes it.
(d) The narrator ignores it.
14. "Its ranks were filled with gentlemen, who felt the stirrings of martial impulse" describes which group of men in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
(a) The musicians.
(b) The soliders.
(c) The public officials.
(d) The clergy.
15. Who is mentioned in Chapter 13 as a "foundress of a religious sect?"
(a) Mother Theresa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 17?
2. What is the holiday referred to in the title of Chapter 21?
3. What does Hester threaten to do at the end of Chapter 14?
4. While she is playing, Pearl makes a little boat out of what?
5. What is Dimmesdale's "own red stigma"?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)