|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hester is a self-ordained what?
(a) Sister of Sin.
(b) Sister of Chastity.
(c) Sister of Integrity.
(d) Sister of Mercy.
2. What color is the letter A Pearl fashions for herself out of natural objects ?
3. Who in the audience taunts Hester and Pearl at the appearance of Dimmesdale?
4. How is Hibbins related to the Governor?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His sister.
(c) No relation.
(d) His sister-in-law.
5. Who retrieves the object that Hester flings away?
(b) No one.
6. Where is the ship the Spanish Main sailing?
7. According to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth's revenge has been "____ than [his] sin"?
8. Who inherited money and property from Chillingworth?
(c) His biological children.
(d) The church.
9. What metal is the previously mentioned book and pen associated with?
10. What does Hester mean when she says "Thou shalt not go alone" at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) That she will send Pearl with Dimmesdale.
(b) That Dimmesdale should not leave.
(c) That Chillingworth will follow Dimmesdale.
(d) That she will run away with Dimmesdale.
11. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
(a) The meteor/falling star.
(b) Chillingworth's malice.
(c) The scarlet letter.
(d) Pearl's eyes.
12. Which of the following is NOT used by the narrator to describe Pearl in Chapter 21?
13. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) The Pastor and His Parishoner.
(b) The Pastor and His Lover.
(c) The Pastor and His Parish.
(d) The Pastor and the Thief.
14. Despite his triumph in delivering the sermon in Chapter 23, how does Dimmesdale appear?
(a) "Delicate and forlorn."
(b) "Wanton and wan."
(c) "Feeble and pale."
(d) "Hale and hearty."
15. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
(a) "A fletched arrow."
(b) "A tall white pedestal."
(c) "A red-hot iron."
(d) "A mysterious maze."
Short Answer Questions
1. "Its ranks were filled with gentlemen, who felt the stirrings of martial impulse" describes which group of men in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
2. Where is Hester when Chillingworth leaves, "his gray beard almost" touching the ground?
3. Where have Hester and Dimmesdale decided would be the best place to escape to?
4. Who, in the procession, "exhibited such energy as was seen in the gait and air"?
5. Which of the following is NOT an explanation for Dimmesdale's "red stigma"?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)