|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Next to whom is Hester Prynne eventually buried?
(b) Chillingworth, her husband.
(d) No one--she is buried alone.
2. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
3. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
(a) A shrug.
(b) A grimace.
(c) A wink.
(d) A smile.
4. Where does the minister go in the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) To Hester's.
(b) To church.
(c) To the scaffold.
(d) To the governor's.
5. When Hester exclaims "better he had died at once!," to whom is she referring in Chapter 14?
(b) The old governor.
(d) The new governor.
6. Who in the audience taunts Hester and Pearl at the appearance of Dimmesdale?
7. Where does Dimmesdale hold his hand often throughout the novel?
(a) Over his eyes.
(b) Clutching the Bible.
(c) In his pocket.
(d) Over his heart.
8. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
(a) "A red-hot iron."
(b) "A mysterious maze."
(c) "A tall white pedestal."
(d) "A fletched arrow."
9. What color is the letter A Pearl fashions for herself out of natural objects ?
10. How is Hibbins related to the Governor?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His sister-in-law.
(c) His sister.
(d) No relation.
11. What does Pearl do when Dimmesdale kisses her?
(a) She wipes it on Hester's scarlet letter.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She kisses him back.
(d) She washes it off.
12. What is Dimmesdale's "own red stigma"?
(a) His guilt.
(c) An "A" carved in his chest.
(d) A scarlet letter he wears underneath his jacket.
13. Despite his triumph in delivering the sermon in Chapter 23, how does Dimmesdale appear?
(a) "Wanton and wan."
(b) "Hale and hearty."
(c) "Feeble and pale."
(d) "Delicate and forlorn."
14. Hester is a self-ordained what?
(a) Sister of Mercy.
(b) Sister of Chastity.
(c) Sister of Sin.
(d) Sister of Integrity.
15. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
(a) The scarlet letter.
(b) Pearl's eyes.
(c) The meteor/falling star.
(d) Chillingworth's malice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where have Hester and Dimmesdale decided would be the best place to escape to?
2. John Wilson is described as having what relationship to Dimmesdale?
3. What does Dimmesdale tell Chillingworth while he is writing the sermon is Chapter 20?
4. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
5. Where does Dimmesdale imagine a "scarlet token?"
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)