|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize Dimmesdale's sermon?
(a) The narrator neither praises nor diminshes it.
(b) The narrator ignores it.
(c) The narrator disparages it.
(d) The narrator exhalts it.
2. Who in the audience taunts Hester and Pearl at the appearance of Dimmesdale?
3. What is the holiday referred to in the title of Chapter 21?
(a) The birth of the new prince.
(c) The arrival of the new governor.
4. Who is said to haunt the forest outside town, carrying a big, heavy book with him?
(a) The Evil Man.
(b) The Black Man.
(c) The Dark Man.
(d) The Dark Reverend.
5. In what month does this "obscure night" take place in Chapter 12?
6. Which of the following creatures is not mentioned while Pearl plays on the shore?
(c) Horseshoe crab.
7. What describes Dimmesdale's hand, when Hester touches it?
(b) "Cold as ice. "
(d) "Chill as death."
8. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
(a) A shrug.
(b) A wink.
(c) A smile.
(d) A grimace.
9. What does Dimmesdale tell Chillingworth while he is writing the sermon is Chapter 20?
(a) That he knows who Hester's lover is.
(b) That he is feeling close to death.
(c) That he no longer needs his services as doctor.
(d) That he knows Chillingworth's true identity.
10. Where have Hester and Dimmesdale decided would be the best place to escape to?
(b) An Indian settlement.
(c) The American South.
11. What does Hester threaten to do at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Betray Chillingworth's identity.
(b) Reveal the name of her lover.
(c) Escape Boston.
(d) Kill herself.
12. How many years have passed so far in this novel, in Chapter 13?
(c) Less than one.
13. Why will Pearl not come to Hester in Chapter 19?
(a) She is talking with a man.
(b) She has taken off the letter.
(c) She is angry at her mother.
(d) She is across the brook.
14. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
15. Which of the following is NOT an explanation for Dimmesdale's "red stigma"?
(a) Chillingworth did it.
(b) Hester put it there.
(c) God did it.
(d) The minister did it to himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
2. What had Dimmesdale been doing to himself?
3. Where does Dimmesdale imagine a "scarlet token?"
4. What does Pearl do with sea weed?
5. Who are the "rough-looking desperadoes, with sun-blackened faces" at the holiday in Chapter 21?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)