|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize Dimmesdale's sermon?
(a) The narrator neither praises nor diminshes it.
(b) The narrator exhalts it.
(c) The narrator ignores it.
(d) The narrator disparages it.
2. What does Pearl do with sea weed?
(a) Eats it.
(b) Spreads it along the beach.
(c) Lines her pockets with it.
(d) Wraps it about her head.
3. Hester is a self-ordained what?
(a) Sister of Integrity.
(b) Sister of Mercy.
(c) Sister of Chastity.
(d) Sister of Sin.
4. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
(a) From the Dark Man.
(b) From the Dark Reverend.
(c) From Mistress Hibbins.
(d) From the Black Man.
5. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
(a) Pearl's eyes.
(b) The meteor/falling star.
(c) The scarlet letter.
(d) Chillingworth's malice.
6. Which of the following is NOT an explanation for Dimmesdale's "red stigma"?
(a) Chillingworth did it.
(b) The minister did it to himself.
(c) Hester put it there.
(d) God did it.
7. When Hester exclaims "better he had died at once!," to whom is she referring in Chapter 14?
(c) The new governor.
(d) The old governor.
8. Who is mentioned in Chapter 13 as a "foundress of a religious sect?"
(c) Mother Theresa.
9. What is Hester wearing on the public holiday in Chapter 21?
(a) Coarse gray cloth.
(b) Fine scarlet gown.
(c) A white wedding gown.
(d) A plain blue dress.
10. Despite his triumph in delivering the sermon in Chapter 23, how does Dimmesdale appear?
(a) "Hale and hearty."
(b) "Feeble and pale."
(c) "Wanton and wan."
(d) "Delicate and forlorn."
11. What does Hester mean when she says "Thou shalt not go alone" at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) That she will send Pearl with Dimmesdale.
(b) That Dimmesdale should not leave.
(c) That she will run away with Dimmesdale.
(d) That Chillingworth will follow Dimmesdale.
12. Who inherited money and property from Chillingworth?
(a) The church.
(d) His biological children.
13. Whom does Hester decide to seek out for a meeting at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) Her lover.
(b) Her daughter.
(c) Her confessor.
(d) Her (former) husband.
14. What describes Dimmesdale's hand, when Hester touches it?
(b) "Cold as ice. "
(d) "Chill as death."
15. According to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth's revenge has been "____ than [his] sin"?
Short Answer Questions
1. "Its ranks were filled with gentlemen, who felt the stirrings of martial impulse" describes which group of men in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
2. What does Pearl do when Dimmesdale kisses her?
3. How many years have passed so far in this novel, in Chapter 13?
4. What does Dimmesdale tell Chillingworth while he is writing the sermon is Chapter 20?
5. While she is playing, Pearl makes a little boat out of what?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)