|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Its ranks were filled with gentlemen, who felt the stirrings of martial impulse" describes which group of men in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
(a) The public officials.
(b) The clergy.
(c) The musicians.
(d) The soliders.
2. Who inherited money and property from Chillingworth?
(a) The church.
(c) His biological children.
3. What does Hester mean when she says "Thou shalt not go alone" at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) That Dimmesdale should not leave.
(b) That Chillingworth will follow Dimmesdale.
(c) That she will run away with Dimmesdale.
(d) That she will send Pearl with Dimmesdale.
4. What, according to many of the townspeople who have come to appreciate Hester, should the A stand for?
5. What does Hester tell Dimmesdale about Chillingworth in Chapter 17?
(a) That he is on an undercover mission for the governor.
(b) That he is her husband.
(c) That he is really a Catholic.
(d) That he is not really a doctor.
6. When Pearl will not cross the brook, what does Hester tell her she can leap like?
(a) Bull frog.
(b) Young deer.
(c) Little girls.
(d) Giant grasshopper.
7. What is Hester wearing on the public holiday in Chapter 21?
(a) Coarse gray cloth.
(b) A plain blue dress.
(c) A white wedding gown.
(d) Fine scarlet gown.
8. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
(a) A smile.
(b) A wink.
(c) A shrug.
(d) A grimace.
9. Whom does Dimmesdale set out to meet?
(a) Disciple Ellison.
(b) Apostle Eliot.
(c) Disciple Adrian.
(d) Apostle Elias.
10. What is the title of Chapter 18?
(a) A Flood of Sunshine.
(b) A Flood of Brightness.
(c) A River of Tears.
(d) An Ectasy of Light.
11. Where is Hester when Chillingworth leaves, "his gray beard almost" touching the ground?
(a) In church.
(b) At the roominghouse.
(c) In the woods.
(d) At the governor's.
12. Which of the following is NOT an explanation for Dimmesdale's "red stigma"?
(a) Chillingworth did it.
(b) Hester put it there.
(c) God did it.
(d) The minister did it to himself.
13. What group of people leads the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
(a) The soldiers.
(b) The public officials.
(c) The musicians.
(d) The clergy.
14. Despite his triumph in delivering the sermon in Chapter 23, how does Dimmesdale appear?
(a) "Feeble and pale."
(b) "Delicate and forlorn."
(c) "Hale and hearty."
(d) "Wanton and wan."
15. Whom does Hester decide to seek out for a meeting at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) Her confessor.
(b) Her lover.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her (former) husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize Dimmesdale's sermon?
2. What color is the letter A Pearl fashions for herself out of natural objects ?
3. Who is said to haunt the forest outside town, carrying a big, heavy book with him?
4. Where does Dimmesdale hold his hand often throughout the novel?
5. According to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth's revenge has been "____ than [his] sin"?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)