|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 18?
(a) A Flood of Brightness.
(b) A River of Tears.
(c) A Flood of Sunshine.
(d) An Ectasy of Light.
2. What is the holiday referred to in the title of Chapter 21?
(a) The arrival of the new governor.
(d) The birth of the new prince.
3. Where is Hester when Chillingworth leaves, "his gray beard almost" touching the ground?
(a) In church.
(b) At the roominghouse.
(c) At the governor's.
(d) In the woods.
4. What group of people leads the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
(a) The public officials.
(b) The soldiers.
(c) The musicians.
(d) The clergy.
5. Where does Dimmesdale imagine a "scarlet token?"
(a) On his chest.
(b) On Pearl.
(c) On Hester.
(d) On his forehead.
6. Who inherited money and property from Chillingworth?
(a) His biological children.
(b) The church.
7. What is Hester wearing on the public holiday in Chapter 21?
(a) Coarse gray cloth.
(b) Fine scarlet gown.
(c) A white wedding gown.
(d) A plain blue dress.
8. Hester is a self-ordained what?
(a) Sister of Sin.
(b) Sister of Chastity.
(c) Sister of Mercy.
(d) Sister of Integrity.
9. Why is Dimmesdale at the town center Chapter 12?
(a) To shame Hester.
(b) To proclaim his guilt in public.
(c) To stand side by side with Hester.
(d) To trick Chillingworth.
10. Who is the "grim, ugly-eyed old man" who recognizes Pearl?
(a) Hester's former husband.
(b) The old governor.
(c) The old jailer.
(d) Her father.
11. John Wilson is described as having what relationship to Dimmesdale?
(a) One of his holy fathers.
(b) One of his mystical mates.
(c) One of his fatherly teachers.
(d) One of his clerical brethern.
12. Which of the following is NOT an explanation for Dimmesdale's "red stigma"?
(a) Hester put it there.
(b) Chillingworth did it.
(c) The minister did it to himself.
(d) God did it.
13. What marks particular attendants of the holiday as members of their forest settlements?
(a) Their deer-skin clothing.
(b) Their long hair.
(c) Their rough speech.
(d) Their scarlet F's.
14. With what kind of natural objects has Pearl decorated herself in Chapter 18?
(a) Sand and driftwood.
(c) Maple leaves.
15. How long did it take before Chillingworth died?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Immediately after Dimmesdale.
(c) Five years.
(d) Less than a year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
2. Who is mentioned in Chapter 13 as a "foundress of a religious sect?"
3. When Hester exclaims "better he had died at once!," to whom is she referring in Chapter 14?
4. What describes Dimmesdale's hand, when Hester touches it?
5. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)