|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years have passed so far in this novel, in Chapter 13?
(c) Less than one.
2. According to the narrator, which of the following has NOT been one of Hester's "teachers"?
3. When Pearl will not cross the brook, what does Hester tell her she can leap like?
(a) Little girls.
(b) Young deer.
(c) Giant grasshopper.
(d) Bull frog.
4. What metal is the previously mentioned book and pen associated with?
5. What is the title of Chapter 20?
(a) "The Mysterious Minister."
(b) "The Minister in a Maze."
(c) "The Minister in the Middle."
(d) "The Minister in the Mirror."
6. How is Hibbins related to the Governor?
(a) His sister-in-law.
(b) His daughter.
(c) No relation.
(d) His sister.
7. According to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth's revenge has been "____ than [his] sin"?
8. When Hester exclaims "better he had died at once!," to whom is she referring in Chapter 14?
(c) The old governor.
(d) The new governor.
9. Hester is a self-ordained what?
(a) Sister of Sin.
(b) Sister of Mercy.
(c) Sister of Chastity.
(d) Sister of Integrity.
10. What does Hester mean when she says "Thou shalt not go alone" at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) That she will send Pearl with Dimmesdale.
(b) That she will run away with Dimmesdale.
(c) That Dimmesdale should not leave.
(d) That Chillingworth will follow Dimmesdale.
11. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
(a) The meteor/falling star.
(b) Chillingworth's malice.
(c) The scarlet letter.
(d) Pearl's eyes.
12. What does Pearl do when Dimmesdale kisses her?
(a) She wipes it on Hester's scarlet letter.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She washes it off.
(d) She kisses him back.
13. Where is Hester when Chillingworth leaves, "his gray beard almost" touching the ground?
(a) At the roominghouse.
(b) At the governor's.
(c) In church.
(d) In the woods.
14. Who is mentioned in Chapter 13 as a "foundress of a religious sect?"
(b) Mother Theresa.
15. When Pearl repeatedly asks Hester what the letter stand for, what does Hester tell her in Chapter 15?
(a) She says it stands for Able.
(b) She does not give an answer.
(c) She says it stands for Adultry
(d) She says it is a witch's mark.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dimmesdale at the town center Chapter 12?
2. What suggests that Pearl will have a child of her own at the end of the novel?
3. What describes Dimmesdale's hand, when Hester touches it?
4. Who are the "rough-looking desperadoes, with sun-blackened faces" at the holiday in Chapter 21?
5. When Dimmesdale exclaims, "O Thou to whom I dare not life mine eyes," whom is he addressing?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)