|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who retrieves the object that Hester flings away?
(a) No one.
2. According to the narrator, which of the following has NOT been one of Hester's "teachers"?
3. When Pearl will not cross the brook, what does Hester tell her she can leap like?
(a) Young deer.
(b) Giant grasshopper.
(c) Little girls.
(d) Bull frog.
4. Where is Hester when Chillingworth leaves, "his gray beard almost" touching the ground?
(a) At the governor's.
(b) In church.
(c) At the roominghouse.
(d) In the woods.
5. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
6. What is the title of Chapter 18?
(a) A Flood of Sunshine.
(b) A River of Tears.
(c) An Ectasy of Light.
(d) A Flood of Brightness.
7. Who, in the procession, "exhibited such energy as was seen in the gait and air"?
8. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
(a) A grimace.
(b) A wink.
(c) A shrug.
(d) A smile.
9. Hester is a self-ordained what?
(a) Sister of Mercy.
(b) Sister of Integrity.
(c) Sister of Sin.
(d) Sister of Chastity.
10. Which of the following is NOT an explanation for Dimmesdale's "red stigma"?
(a) God did it.
(b) The minister did it to himself.
(c) Chillingworth did it.
(d) Hester put it there.
11. What marks particular attendants of the holiday as members of their forest settlements?
(a) Their deer-skin clothing.
(b) Their scarlet F's.
(c) Their long hair.
(d) Their rough speech.
12. Where does Dimmesdale hold his hand often throughout the novel?
(a) Over his eyes.
(b) Clutching the Bible.
(c) Over his heart.
(d) In his pocket.
13. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
(a) "A red-hot iron."
(b) "A fletched arrow."
(c) "A tall white pedestal."
(d) "A mysterious maze."
14. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
(a) From the Black Man.
(b) From the Dark Man.
(c) From Mistress Hibbins.
(d) From the Dark Reverend.
15. Dimmesdale learns that he is preach what important sermon?
(a) The Election sermon.
(b) The Inauguration sermon.
(c) Hester's marriage sermon.
(d) Chillingworth's funeral sermon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dimmesdale imagine a "scarlet token?"
2. Dimmesdale's voice is compared to what natural phenomenon in Chapter 23?
3. What color is the letter A Pearl fashions for herself out of natural objects ?
4. What is the holiday referred to in the title of Chapter 21?
5. Which of the following is NOT used by the narrator to describe Pearl in Chapter 21?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)