|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
(a) The meteor/falling star.
(b) Chillingworth's malice.
(c) The scarlet letter.
(d) Pearl's eyes.
2. What had Dimmesdale been doing to himself?
(a) He had been staying awake all night.
(b) He had been treating his own illness.
(c) He had been self-flagellating.
(d) He had been fasting.
3. Who inherited money and property from Chillingworth?
(a) The church.
(b) His biological children.
4. Where does the minister go in the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) To Hester's.
(b) To church.
(c) To the governor's.
(d) To the scaffold.
5. What is the title of Chapter 18?
(a) A Flood of Brightness.
(b) An Ectasy of Light.
(c) A Flood of Sunshine.
(d) A River of Tears.
6. When Pearl repeatedly asks Hester what the letter stand for, what does Hester tell her in Chapter 15?
(a) She says it stands for Adultry
(b) She says it is a witch's mark.
(c) She does not give an answer.
(d) She says it stands for Able.
7. This group in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22 was showing "a stamp of majesty that made the warrior's haughty stride look vulgar"?
(a) The public officials.
(b) The soldiers.
(c) The musicians.
(d) The sailors.
8. What does Hester threaten to do at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Kill herself.
(b) Betray Chillingworth's identity.
(c) Reveal the name of her lover.
(d) Escape Boston.
9. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) The Pastor and His Lover.
(b) The Pastor and the Thief.
(c) The Pastor and His Parish.
(d) The Pastor and His Parishoner.
10. What, according to many of the townspeople who have come to appreciate Hester, should the A stand for?
11. While she is playing, Pearl makes a little boat out of what?
(a) Sea weed.
(b) Birch bark.
(c) Sand dollars.
12. Why, according to Pearl, does sunshine "run away and hide itself" from Hester?
(a) Because of the foliage.
(b) Because of her fair skin.
(c) Because of the scarlet letter.
(d) Because of her long gray dress.
13. Why will Pearl not come to Hester in Chapter 19?
(a) She is talking with a man.
(b) She is across the brook.
(c) She has taken off the letter.
(d) She is angry at her mother.
14. What does Chillingworth say in Chapter 14 the town council has been debating?
(a) Whether to take away Pearl from Hester.
(b) Whether to exile Hester from Boston.
(c) Whether to arrest Hester again.
(d) Whether to take away the scarlet letter.
15. Where does Dimmesdale hold his hand often throughout the novel?
(a) Over his heart.
(b) In his pocket.
(c) Clutching the Bible.
(d) Over his eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dimmesdale imagine a "scarlet token?"
2. Dimmesdale learns that he is preach what important sermon?
3. How does the narrator characterize Dimmesdale's sermon?
4. In what month does this "obscure night" take place in Chapter 12?
5. What is the title of Chapter 20?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)