|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT used by the narrator to describe Pearl in Chapter 21?
2. What is the title of Chapter 20?
(a) "The Mysterious Minister."
(b) "The Minister in a Maze."
(c) "The Minister in the Mirror."
(d) "The Minister in the Middle."
3. In what month does this "obscure night" take place in Chapter 12?
4. What, according to many of the townspeople who have come to appreciate Hester, should the A stand for?
5. What does Hester tell Dimmesdale about Chillingworth in Chapter 17?
(a) That he is on an undercover mission for the governor.
(b) That he is not really a doctor.
(c) That he is her husband.
(d) That he is really a Catholic.
6. According to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth's revenge has been "____ than [his] sin"?
7. This group in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22 was showing "a stamp of majesty that made the warrior's haughty stride look vulgar"?
(a) The public officials.
(b) The musicians.
(c) The soldiers.
(d) The sailors.
8. Who in the audience taunts Hester and Pearl at the appearance of Dimmesdale?
9. How long did it take before Chillingworth died?
(a) Less than a year.
(b) Immediately after Dimmesdale.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
10. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) The Pastor and the Thief.
(b) The Pastor and His Parishoner.
(c) The Pastor and His Parish.
(d) The Pastor and His Lover.
11. What color is the letter A Pearl fashions for herself out of natural objects ?
12. Where have Hester and Dimmesdale decided would be the best place to escape to?
(a) An Indian settlement.
(b) The American South.
13. What is the title of Chapter 18?
(a) A River of Tears.
(b) An Ectasy of Light.
(c) A Flood of Brightness.
(d) A Flood of Sunshine.
14. Hester says that Pearl is "strange" and what at first?
15. Who is mentioned in Chapter 13 as a "foundress of a religious sect?"
(a) Mother Theresa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Next to whom is Hester Prynne eventually buried?
2. What is the holiday referred to in the title of Chapter 21?
3. What metal is the previously mentioned book and pen associated with?
4. "Its ranks were filled with gentlemen, who felt the stirrings of martial impulse" describes which group of men in the procession referred to in the title of Chapter 22?
5. What does Pearl do when Dimmesdale kisses her?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)