|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is mentioned in Chapter 13 as a "foundress of a religious sect?"
(a) Mother Theresa.
2. Hester is a self-ordained what?
(a) Sister of Integrity.
(b) Sister of Chastity.
(c) Sister of Mercy.
(d) Sister of Sin.
3. In Chapter 19, how does Dimmesdale say Pearl looks?
(a) "Uncannily strange."
(b) "Strangely beautiful."
(c) "Uncannily adorable."
(d) "Strangely familiar."
4. How is Hibbins related to the Governor?
(a) His sister.
(b) No relation.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His sister-in-law.
5. Which of the following creatures is not mentioned while Pearl plays on the shore?
(a) Horseshoe crab.
6. What does Pearl do with sea weed?
(a) Eats it.
(b) Lines her pockets with it.
(c) Wraps it about her head.
(d) Spreads it along the beach.
7. How long did it take before Chillingworth died?
(a) Immediately after Dimmesdale.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Less than a year.
8. What is the title of Chapter 20?
(a) "The Minister in the Middle."
(b) "The Mysterious Minister."
(c) "The Minister in the Mirror."
(d) "The Minister in a Maze."
9. How many years have passed so far in this novel, in Chapter 13?
(a) Less than one.
10. What does Hester fling next to the brook?
(a) Dimmesdale's Bible.
(b) Chillingworth's herbs.
(c) Her bonnet.
(d) Her scarlet letter.
11. Which of the following is NOT an explanation for Dimmesdale's "red stigma"?
(a) The minister did it to himself.
(b) Hester put it there.
(c) Chillingworth did it.
(d) God did it.
12. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
(a) The scarlet letter.
(b) Chillingworth's malice.
(c) Pearl's eyes.
(d) The meteor/falling star.
13. Which of the following is NOT used by the narrator to describe Pearl in Chapter 21?
14. What does Dimmesdale tell Chillingworth while he is writing the sermon is Chapter 20?
(a) That he knows Chillingworth's true identity.
(b) That he no longer needs his services as doctor.
(c) That he is feeling close to death.
(d) That he knows who Hester's lover is.
15. Who in the audience taunts Hester and Pearl at the appearance of Dimmesdale?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the "grim, ugly-eyed old man" who recognizes Pearl?
2. Hester says that Pearl is "strange" and what at first?
3. Who inherited money and property from Chillingworth?
4. How does the narrator characterize Dimmesdale's sermon?
5. What had Dimmesdale been doing to himself?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)