|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 14?
(a) The Doctor and Mrs. Chillingworth.
(b) Hester and the Physician.
(c) Hester and the Magician.
(d) The Magical Doctor.
2. What suggests that Pearl will have a child of her own at the end of the novel?
(a) Pearl's stomach is large.
(b) Pearl has gotten married quickly.
(c) Hester is sewing infant clothes.
(d) Hester calls herself "Grandma Hester."
3. Where is Hester when Chillingworth leaves, "his gray beard almost" touching the ground?
(a) In the woods.
(b) At the roominghouse.
(c) In church.
(d) At the governor's.
4. In what month does this "obscure night" take place in Chapter 12?
5. When Pearl will not cross the brook, what does Hester tell her she can leap like?
(a) Giant grasshopper.
(b) Bull frog.
(c) Little girls.
(d) Young deer.
6. Why do Hester and Dimmesdale chose the place they do to escape to?
(a) Hester's profession.
(b) Dimmedale's profession.
(c) Hester's criminal record.
(d) Dimmesdale's health.
7. According to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth's revenge has been "____ than [his] sin"?
8. Why is Dimmesdale at the town center Chapter 12?
(a) To trick Chillingworth.
(b) To shame Hester.
(c) To proclaim his guilt in public.
(d) To stand side by side with Hester.
9. Where does Dimmesdale hold his hand often throughout the novel?
(a) Over his heart.
(b) In his pocket.
(c) Over his eyes.
(d) Clutching the Bible.
10. What does Pearl do with sea weed?
(a) Eats it.
(b) Lines her pockets with it.
(c) Spreads it along the beach.
(d) Wraps it about her head.
11. What is the title of Chapter 20?
(a) "The Minister in a Maze."
(b) "The Minister in the Middle."
(c) "The Minister in the Mirror."
(d) "The Mysterious Minister."
12. In Chapter 19, how does Dimmesdale say Pearl looks?
(a) "Uncannily adorable."
(b) "Strangely familiar."
(c) "Strangely beautiful."
(d) "Uncannily strange."
13. Next to whom is Hester Prynne eventually buried?
(b) No one--she is buried alone.
(c) Chillingworth, her husband.
14. Who retrieves the object that Hester flings away?
(c) No one.
15. What describes Dimmesdale's hand, when Hester touches it?
(c) "Chill as death."
(d) "Cold as ice. "
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
2. What does Chillingworth say in Chapter 14 the town council has been debating?
3. Who in the audience taunts Hester and Pearl at the appearance of Dimmesdale?
4. Pearl recognizes a man in the procession who did what?
5. Where is the ship the Spanish Main sailing?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)