|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hester tell Dimmesdale about Chillingworth in Chapter 17?
(a) That he is not really a doctor.
(b) That he is on an undercover mission for the governor.
(c) That he is really a Catholic.
(d) That he is her husband.
2. What describes Dimmesdale's hand, when Hester touches it?
(b) "Chill as death."
(d) "Cold as ice. "
3. John Wilson is described as having what relationship to Dimmesdale?
(a) One of his mystical mates.
(b) One of his clerical brethern.
(c) One of his fatherly teachers.
(d) One of his holy fathers.
4. Why do Hester and Dimmesdale chose the place they do to escape to?
(a) Hester's profession.
(b) Hester's criminal record.
(c) Dimmedale's profession.
(d) Dimmesdale's health.
5. When Dimmesdale exclaims, "O Thou to whom I dare not life mine eyes," whom is he addressing?
6. Hester says that Pearl is "strange" and what at first?
7. Why is Dimmesdale at the town center Chapter 12?
(a) To stand side by side with Hester.
(b) To shame Hester.
(c) To proclaim his guilt in public.
(d) To trick Chillingworth.
8. With what kind of natural objects has Pearl decorated herself in Chapter 18?
(b) Maple leaves.
(c) Sand and driftwood.
9. Where does Dimmesdale hold his hand often throughout the novel?
(a) Over his heart.
(b) Clutching the Bible.
(c) In his pocket.
(d) Over his eyes.
10. Which of the following creatures is not mentioned while Pearl plays on the shore?
(d) Horseshoe crab.
11. Dimmesdale's voice is compared to what natural phenomenon in Chapter 23?
(a) Patter of raindrops on the roof.
(b) Twisting branches of a dead oak.
(c) Surging wind of the coast.
(d) Swelling waves of the sea.
12. Pearl recognizes a man in the procession who did what?
(a) Stole money from Hester.
(b) Kissed her by the brook.
(c) Visited Hester and her in jail.
(d) Gave her a red rose from his garden.
13. What had Dimmesdale been doing to himself?
(a) He had been treating his own illness.
(b) He had been self-flagellating.
(c) He had been fasting.
(d) He had been staying awake all night.
14. What color is the letter A Pearl fashions for herself out of natural objects ?
15. How long did it take before Chillingworth died?
(a) Immediately after Dimmesdale.
(b) Less than a year.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dimmesdale imagine a "scarlet token?"
2. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
3. What does Hester threaten to do at the end of Chapter 14?
4. What metal is the previously mentioned book and pen associated with?
5. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)