|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
(a) Personal, legal and moral.
(b) Spiritual and political.
(c) Personal and politcal.
(d) Petty and partisan.
2. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) A Play in Four Acts.
(b) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
(c) A Preface.
(d) A Novel of Morals.
3. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
4. Where are Dimmesdale's parents?
(b) In England.
(c) In Boston.
(d) In Salem.
5. Chapter 6 is named after which character?
6. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
(a) A bustling port.
(b) A dour harbor.
(c) A sad sailing town.
(d) A busy metropolis.
7. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
(a) "airy sprite"
(b) "little elf"
(c) "beautiful munchkin"
(d) "sole treasure"
8. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
(b) Third person, omniscient.
(c) Third person, limited.
9. What was the door to the jail made of?
10. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
11. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
(b) A rose bush.
(c) A weeping willow.
12. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
(a) The pope.
(b) Mary Magdalene.
(c) The Virgin Mary.
(d) Mother Theresa.
13. What is the title of the first chapter?
(b) Gaol-Door Rock.
(c) The Prison-Door.
(d) The Prison Rose.
14. Who is Hester's legal husband?
15. Who is named as Hester's pastor in Chapter 2?
(a) No pastor is named.
(b) Reverend Dimmesdale.
(c) Reverand Wilson.
(d) Reverand Hawthorne.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year was this preface written?
2. How does Hester dress her daughter?
3. Who is with the governor when Hester visits his house to deliver something?
4. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
5. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)