|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
2. What is the health problem wrong with Dimmesdale?
(b) Failing eyesight.
(c) Failing health.
3. Who thinks that Hester's punishment/sentence is too light?
(a) The ministers.
(b) The women of town.
(c) The men of town.
(d) The children of town.
4. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
(b) Bustling London.
(d) Rural England.
5. What are the two non-Puritan sects mentioned in this Chapter 2?
(a) Antimonian, Quaker, and Catholic.
(b) Antimonian and Quaker.
(c) Shaker and Quaker.
(d) Quaker and Catholic.
6. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
(a) At the doctor's office.
(b) In church.
(c) At the governor's mansion.
(d) In jail.
7. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The scaffold.
(b) The steeple.
(c) The altar.
(d) The governor's mantle.
8. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
(a) The third.
(b) The second.
(c) The first.
(d) The fourth.
9. Chillingworth is described as which of the following in Chapter 11?
10. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
(a) Bull Moose.
11. To whom does this description refer: "a seemingly careless arrangement of his heterogeneous garb"?
12. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
(a) The stars and stripes.
(b) Apple pie.
(c) An eagle.
(d) Uncle Sam.
13. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
14. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
(a) Picture of the colony.
(b) Sketch of official life.
(c) Sketch of old-time Salem.
(d) Portrait of the Puritans.
15. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six months.
(c) A week.
(d) Three days.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
2. Salem is characterized currently as....?
3. What kind of men are rare in the colony, according to the narrator?
4. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
5. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)