|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does this description refer: "a seemingly careless arrangement of his heterogeneous garb"?
2. One person suggest that Hester should have an iron brand burned where?
(a) On her forehead.
(b) On the palms of her hands.
(c) On her chest.
(d) On her cheek.
3. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) A Preface.
(b) A Novel of Morals.
(c) A Play in Four Acts.
(d) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
4. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
(a) Personal and politcal.
(b) Personal, legal and moral.
(c) Spiritual and political.
(d) Petty and partisan.
5. What was the door to the jail made of?
6. What quiets Pearl in this when she wants something from the governor's garden?
(a) The gardener gives her what she wants.
(b) Her nanny.
(c) Her obedience to Hester.
(d) The appearance of the governor.
7. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
(a) "airy sprite"
(b) "sole treasure"
(c) "beautiful munchkin"
(d) "little elf"
8. Which character is described as having a "wildflower prettiness?"
9. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
(a) The schoolhouse.
(b) The governor's mansion.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The church.
10. When the doctor gives Hester something to drink, what does she think is in the cup?
(d) A truth serum.
11. Chillingworth is described as which of the following in Chapter 11?
12. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
(a) Hawthorne's grandfather.
(b) Uncle Sam.
(c) General Miller.
(d) The permanent Inspector.
13. Chillingworth has a degree from a university in which country?
14. The title of Chapter 5 refers to what?
(a) Hester's work.
(b) Hester's love life.
(c) Hester's guilt.
(d) Hester's past.
15. How does Hester dress her daughter?
(a) In the "richest tissue."
(b) In "rustic weeds."
(c) In "paler loveliness."
(d) In "infinite variety."
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
2. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
3. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
4. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
5. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)