|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six months.
(c) A week.
(d) Three days.
2. Where does Chillingworth take up residence?
(a) At the Governor's.
(b) With Mistress Hibbins.
(c) In the same rooming house as Dimmesdale.
(d) With Dimmesdale, at the rectory.
3. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
(a) Venerated Palace.
(b) Regal Apartment.
(c) Big House.
(d) Old Manse.
4. One person suggest that Hester should have an iron brand burned where?
(a) On her cheek.
(b) On her chest.
(c) On her forehead.
(d) On the palms of her hands.
5. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
6. Who is with the governor when Hester visits his house to deliver something?
(a) Dimmesdale, Chillingworth and Hibbins.
(b) Wilson and Dimmesdale.
(c) Lee, Chillingworth, and Dimmesdale.
(d) Wilson, Dimmesdale and Chillingworth.
7. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
8. In which year was this preface written?
9. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
(b) A rose bush.
(c) A weeping willow.
10. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
11. Where was Reverend Dimmesdale trained in religion?
12. What, at the end of Chapter 11, is the "only truth" for Dimmesdale?
(a) "The joy in his beating heart."
(b) "The malice in Chillingworth's eyes."
(c) "The anguish in his inmost soul."
(d) "The mercy of almightly Heaven."
13. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) Hester's diary.
(b) Dimmesdale's diary.
(c) The scarlet letter.
(d) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
14. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
(a) The schoolhouse.
(b) The governor's mansion.
(c) The church.
(d) The cemetery.
15. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
(b) Third person, omniscient.
(c) Third person, limited.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
2. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
3. Chapter 6 is named after which character?
4. What color is Hester's hair?
5. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)