|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
2. Chillingworth has a degree from a university in which country?
3. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
(a) Hawthorne's grandfather.
(b) Uncle Sam.
(c) General Miller.
(d) The permanent Inspector.
4. What kind of men are rare in the colony, according to the narrator?
(a) Doctors and scientists.
5. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
6. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(b) Mother Theresa.
(c) The pope.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
7. What is one of Chillingworth's distinguishing physical features?
(a) One of his shoulders is higher than the other.
(b) His left eye droops.
(c) He is lame in his right leg.
(d) He is missing most of the toes on his left foot.
8. Who is Hester's legal husband?
9. When Wilson asks Pearl who made her, what does she answer?
(a) That her mother had picked her off a rose bush.
(b) That Dimmesdale is her father.
(c) That Hester had made her alone.
(d) That a stork had delivered her.
10. What quiets Pearl in this when she wants something from the governor's garden?
(a) The gardener gives her what she wants.
(b) The appearance of the governor.
(c) Her nanny.
(d) Her obedience to Hester.
11. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) A Play in Four Acts.
(b) A Preface.
(c) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
(d) A Novel of Morals.
12. According to the narrator, what is the first thing that Pearl noticed, as a baby?
(b) Her own curls.
(c) Hester's long black hair.
(d) The scarlet letter.
13. What was the door to the jail made of?
14. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Recognizance.
(b) The Recognition.
(c) The Meeting.
(d) The Resistance.
15. What are the two non-Puritan sects mentioned in this Chapter 2?
(a) Antimonian, Quaker, and Catholic.
(b) Shaker and Quaker.
(c) Antimonian and Quaker.
(d) Quaker and Catholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. The title of Chapter 8 is the what and "the Minister?"
2. Who is NOT among the crowd shaming Hester?
3. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
4. Why does Hester stay in New England?
5. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)