|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is described as a/an "intolerant brood?"
(a) The Puritans.
(b) The governor's family.
(c) The Indians.
(d) The Dutch.
2. Chapter 6 is named after which character?
3. To whom does this description refer: "a seemingly careless arrangement of his heterogeneous garb"?
4. Who is Hester's legal husband?
5. Which field had Bellingham trained for/been educated in?
6. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
7. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
8. What quiets Pearl in this when she wants something from the governor's garden?
(a) Her obedience to Hester.
(b) The gardener gives her what she wants.
(c) The appearance of the governor.
(d) Her nanny.
9. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
(a) Sketch of official life.
(b) Picture of the colony.
(c) Sketch of old-time Salem.
(d) Portrait of the Puritans.
10. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
11. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(a) Big brother.
(b) Uncle Sam.
(d) The golden eagle.
12. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
(a) Venerated Palace.
(b) Big House.
(c) Regal Apartment.
(d) Old Manse.
13. While his health is failing, Dimmesdale has achieved what in his profession?
(a) "Populist ire."
(b) "Sturdier texture."
(c) "Sanctimonius reputation."
(d) "Brillant popularity."
14. Who thinks that Hester's punishment/sentence is too light?
(a) The children of town.
(b) The ministers.
(c) The men of town.
(d) The women of town.
15. According to the narrator, what is the first thing that Pearl noticed, as a baby?
(a) Hester's long black hair.
(b) The scarlet letter.
(c) Her own curls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
2. What is the title of the first chapter?
3. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
4. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
5. Why is Pearl's mother questioned about whether or not she should have custody of the baby?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)