|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The "public disapprobation" refers to...?
2. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
(a) The stars and stripes.
(b) Uncle Sam.
(c) Apple pie.
(d) An eagle.
3. The title of Chapter 9 ("The Leech") refers to which character?
4. While his health is failing, Dimmesdale has achieved what in his profession?
(a) "Sturdier texture."
(b) "Populist ire."
(c) "Brillant popularity."
(d) "Sanctimonius reputation."
5. In which year was this preface written?
6. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
(a) The third.
(b) The fourth.
(c) The second.
(d) The first.
7. Why is Pearl's mother questioned about whether or not she should have custody of the baby?
(a) Because of her sin.
(b) Because Hester has a drinking problem.
(c) Because Pearl is hanging out with a bad crowd.
(d) Because Pearl is acting out in school.
8. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
9. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
(b) Bustling London.
(d) Rural England.
10. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(b) The golden eagle.
(c) Big brother.
(d) Uncle Sam.
11. Chillingworth is described as which of the following in Chapter 11?
12. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
(a) "little elf"
(b) "airy sprite"
(c) "sole treasure"
(d) "beautiful munchkin"
13. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
(a) Big House.
(b) Regal Apartment.
(c) Old Manse.
(d) Venerated Palace.
14. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
(a) Third person, limited.
(d) Third person, omniscient.
15. Who is with the governor when Hester visits his house to deliver something?
(a) Dimmesdale, Chillingworth and Hibbins.
(b) Lee, Chillingworth, and Dimmesdale.
(c) Wilson, Dimmesdale and Chillingworth.
(d) Wilson and Dimmesdale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
2. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
3. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
4. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
5. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)