|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is to wear the thing Hester is delivering to the governor's house?
(a) The governor's daughter.
(b) The governor's servants.
(c) The governor himself.
(d) The governor's wife.
2. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
(a) A rose bush.
(d) A weeping willow.
3. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
4. What color is Hester's hair?
5. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
(a) The schoolhouse.
(b) The church.
(c) The governor's mansion.
(d) The cemetery.
6. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
(c) Third person, omniscient.
(d) Third person, limited.
7. What is Hester delivering to the governor's house when she goes there in Chapter 7?
(d) A scarf.
8. Why does Hester stay in New England?
(a) She enjoys the brisk winter.
(b) She enjoys whaling.
(c) Her family is there.
(d) It is the scene of her crime.
9. Hester's work is seen everywhere with the exception of:
(a) On babies.
(b) At funerals.
(c) In church.
(d) At weddings.
10. Who is Hester's legal husband?
11. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
(a) The third.
(b) The first.
(c) The fourth.
(d) The second.
12. Who is named as Hester's pastor in Chapter 2?
(a) Reverand Hawthorne.
(b) Reverand Wilson.
(c) Reverend Dimmesdale.
(d) No pastor is named.
13. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
(a) The name of her child.
(b) The name of her husband.
(c) The name of her lover.
(d) The name of the witch.
14. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
15. What kind of men are rare in the colony, according to the narrator?
(a) Doctors and scientists.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
2. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
3. What is the title of the first chapter?
4. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
5. The title of Chapter 5 refers to what?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)