|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
(a) In jail.
(b) In church.
(c) At the doctor's office.
(d) At the governor's mansion.
2. Chillingworth has a degree from a university in which country?
3. What are the two non-Puritan sects mentioned in this Chapter 2?
(a) Antimonian and Quaker.
(b) Antimonian, Quaker, and Catholic.
(c) Quaker and Catholic.
(d) Shaker and Quaker.
4. Which man in at the governor's argues that Hester should be allowed to keep Pearl?
5. What is Hester delivering to the governor's house when she goes there in Chapter 7?
(c) A scarf.
6. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
(a) Third person, limited.
(c) Third person, omniscient.
7. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
(a) Hawthorne's grandfather.
(b) General Miller.
(c) The permanent Inspector.
(d) Uncle Sam.
8. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
(a) In a graveyard.
(b) In the governor's garden.
(c) In Hester's garden.
(d) By the seashoer.
9. According to the narrator, what is the first thing that Pearl noticed, as a baby?
(b) Her own curls.
(c) The scarlet letter.
(d) Hester's long black hair.
10. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
11. The title of Chapter 9 ("The Leech") refers to which character?
12. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The steeple.
(b) The scaffold.
(c) The altar.
(d) The governor's mantle.
13. What color is Hester's hair?
14. Where does Chillingworth take up residence?
(a) At the Governor's.
(b) With Dimmesdale, at the rectory.
(c) With Mistress Hibbins.
(d) In the same rooming house as Dimmesdale.
15. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
2. From which city is this preface written?
3. Who is NOT among the crowd shaming Hester?
4. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
5. The title of Chapter 8 is the what and "the Minister?"
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)