|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
2. How does Hester dress her daughter?
(a) In "infinite variety."
(b) In the "richest tissue."
(c) In "rustic weeds."
(d) In "paler loveliness."
3. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
(a) The Custom's Inspector.
(b) The Governot.
(c) Hester Prynne.
(d) His editor.
4. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
(a) They are ministers.
(b) They are bearded.
(c) They are fat.
(d) They are bald.
5. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The scaffold.
(b) The steeple.
(c) The altar.
(d) The governor's mantle.
6. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
7. Who thinks that Hester's punishment/sentence is too light?
(a) The children of town.
(b) The men of town.
(c) The ministers.
(d) The women of town.
8. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
(a) He wants to hurt the victim of his wit.
(b) He thinks it is true.
(c) He has made too much money from it.
(d) He enjoys the notoriety.
9. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
10. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
(a) He had murdered someone.
(b) He had committed adultery.
(c) He had kidnapped someone.
(d) He had burned down the Custom-House.
11. Salem is characterized currently as....?
12. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
(b) Wit's End.
13. What, at the end of Chapter 11, is the "only truth" for Dimmesdale?
(a) "The mercy of almightly Heaven."
(b) "The joy in his beating heart."
(c) "The anguish in his inmost soul."
(d) "The malice in Chillingworth's eyes."
14. Who is Hester's legal husband?
15. What is the title of the first chapter?
(a) The Prison Rose.
(b) Gaol-Door Rock.
(d) The Prison-Door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Hester's hair?
2. What was the door to the jail made of?
3. Who is named as Hester's pastor in Chapter 2?
4. The "public disapprobation" refers to...?
5. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)