|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of Chillingworth's distinguishing physical features?
(a) He is lame in his right leg.
(b) One of his shoulders is higher than the other.
(c) He is missing most of the toes on his left foot.
(d) His left eye droops.
2. What is the health problem wrong with Dimmesdale?
(b) Failing health.
(d) Failing eyesight.
3. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
(a) Bustling London.
(b) Rural England.
4. Salem is characterized currently as....?
5. Why does Hester stay in New England?
(a) It is the scene of her crime.
(b) She enjoys the brisk winter.
(c) She enjoys whaling.
(d) Her family is there.
6. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
(a) A week.
(b) Three days.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three months.
7. While his health is failing, Dimmesdale has achieved what in his profession?
(a) "Populist ire."
(b) "Sturdier texture."
(c) "Brillant popularity."
(d) "Sanctimonius reputation."
8. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
(a) Charter Street burial-ground.
(b) Old Church burial-ground.
(c) Town Cemetery.
(d) Salem Cemetery.
9. What was the door to the jail made of?
10. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(b) Uncle Sam.
(c) The golden eagle.
(d) Big brother.
11. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
(a) They are fat.
(b) They are bearded.
(c) They are bald.
(d) They are ministers.
12. Chillingworth is described as which of the following in Chapter 11?
13. When the doctor gives Hester something to drink, what does she think is in the cup?
(a) A truth serum.
14. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
(a) Third person, omniscient.
(c) Third person, limited.
15. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
2. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
3. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
4. Whose widow is Mistress Hibbins?
5. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)