|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What street runs outside the Custom-House?
(a) High Street.
(b) Derby Street.
(c) Salem Road.
(d) Main Street.
2. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
3. What kind of men are rare in the colony, according to the narrator?
(d) Doctors and scientists.
4. Which field had Bellingham trained for/been educated in?
5. When Wilson asks Pearl who made her, what does she answer?
(a) That Dimmesdale is her father.
(b) That her mother had picked her off a rose bush.
(c) That a stork had delivered her.
(d) That Hester had made her alone.
6. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
(a) His editor.
(b) Hester Prynne.
(c) The Custom's Inspector.
(d) The Governot.
7. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Recognition.
(b) The Resistance.
(c) The Recognizance.
(d) The Meeting.
8. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
(a) The name of her child.
(b) The name of the witch.
(c) The name of her husband.
(d) The name of her lover.
9. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
(a) The first.
(b) The third.
(c) The fourth.
(d) The second.
10. Who is Hester's legal husband?
11. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
(c) Wit's End.
12. Chillingworth has a degree from a university in which country?
13. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
(a) Third person, limited.
(c) Third person, omniscient.
14. What color is Hester's hair?
15. What was the door to the jail made of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pearl's mother questioned about whether or not she should have custody of the baby?
2. Who is the patient referred to in the title of Chapter 10?
3. Who is described as a/an "intolerant brood?"
4. What is Hester delivering to the governor's house when she goes there in Chapter 7?
5. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)