|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which man in at the governor's argues that Hester should be allowed to keep Pearl?
2. Who is NOT among the crowd shaming Hester?
(a) The governor.
(b) Hester's pastor.
(c) Hester's parents.
(d) The judges.
3. Who thinks that Hester's punishment/sentence is too light?
(a) The men of town.
(b) The ministers.
(c) The children of town.
(d) The women of town.
4. Which description does not apply to Dimmesdale?
(a) Weak frame.
(d) Nervous temperament.
5. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Recognizance.
(b) The Recognition.
(c) The Resistance.
(d) The Meeting.
6. When the doctor gives Hester something to drink, what does she think is in the cup?
(b) A truth serum.
7. Where are Dimmesdale's parents?
(a) In Boston.
(b) In Salem.
(d) In England.
8. Salem is characterized currently as....?
9. What does Pearl desperately desire from the governor's garden?
(a) A pumpkin.
(b) A cabbage.
(c) A tulip.
(d) A rose.
10. Hester's work is seen everywhere with the exception of:
(a) At funerals.
(b) In church.
(c) At weddings.
(d) On babies.
11. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
(a) The first.
(b) The fourth.
(c) The second.
(d) The third.
12. How does the narrator describe the former queen of England, Elizabeth I?
13. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
14. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Hester's pearl necklace.
(b) The ladies in the crowd.
(d) The spikes on the door to the jail.
15. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The scaffold.
(b) The altar.
(c) The governor's mantle.
(d) The steeple.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
2. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
3. From which city is this preface written?
4. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
5. Who is with the governor when Hester visits his house to deliver something?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)