|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hester dress her daughter?
(a) In "infinite variety."
(b) In "rustic weeds."
(c) In the "richest tissue."
(d) In "paler loveliness."
2. The "public disapprobation" refers to...?
3. What is Hester delivering to the governor's house when she goes there in Chapter 7?
(b) A scarf.
4. What is the health problem wrong with Dimmesdale?
(a) Failing eyesight.
(c) Failing health.
5. Where does Chillingworth take up residence?
(a) At the Governor's.
(b) With Dimmesdale, at the rectory.
(c) With Mistress Hibbins.
(d) In the same rooming house as Dimmesdale.
6. Who is described as a/an "intolerant brood?"
(a) The Dutch.
(b) The Puritans.
(c) The Indians.
(d) The governor's family.
7. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(b) Dimmesdale's diary.
(c) Hester's diary.
(d) The scarlet letter.
8. Which field had Bellingham trained for/been educated in?
9. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
(a) The name of the witch.
(b) The name of her child.
(c) The name of her husband.
(d) The name of her lover.
10. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
(a) The schoolhouse.
(b) The church.
(c) The governor's mansion.
(d) The cemetery.
11. What kind of men are rare in the colony, according to the narrator?
(c) Doctors and scientists.
12. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
(a) Rural England.
(b) Bustling London.
13. Chapter 6 is named after which character?
14. While his health is failing, Dimmesdale has achieved what in his profession?
(a) "Sanctimonius reputation."
(b) "Brillant popularity."
(c) "Sturdier texture."
(d) "Populist ire."
15. Who is with the governor when Hester visits his house to deliver something?
(a) Dimmesdale, Chillingworth and Hibbins.
(b) Lee, Chillingworth, and Dimmesdale.
(c) Wilson and Dimmesdale.
(d) Wilson, Dimmesdale and Chillingworth.
Short Answer Questions
1. From which city is this preface written?
2. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
3. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
4. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
5. To whom does this description refer: "a seemingly careless arrangement of his heterogeneous garb"?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)