|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
(a) A bustling port.
(b) A busy metropolis.
(c) A dour harbor.
(d) A sad sailing town.
2. Which man in at the governor's argues that Hester should be allowed to keep Pearl?
3. Who thinks that Hester's punishment/sentence is too light?
(a) The men of town.
(b) The ministers.
(c) The children of town.
(d) The women of town.
4. When the doctor gives Hester something to drink, what does she think is in the cup?
(b) A truth serum.
5. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
6. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
(a) Personal, legal and moral.
(b) Personal and politcal.
(c) Spiritual and political.
(d) Petty and partisan.
7. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
(a) The denouement.
(b) The climax.
(c) "The New England Holiday,"
(d) "The Custom-House."
8. One person suggest that Hester should have an iron brand burned where?
(a) On her forehead.
(b) On her cheek.
(c) On her chest.
(d) On the palms of her hands.
9. Who is with the governor when Hester visits his house to deliver something?
(a) Dimmesdale, Chillingworth and Hibbins.
(b) Wilson and Dimmesdale.
(c) Lee, Chillingworth, and Dimmesdale.
(d) Wilson, Dimmesdale and Chillingworth.
10. According to the narrator, what is the first thing that Pearl noticed, as a baby?
(b) Her own curls.
(c) Hester's long black hair.
(d) The scarlet letter.
11. What is the shape of the hats worn in the "throng"?
12. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
(c) A rose bush.
(d) A weeping willow.
13. Whom do Dimmesdale and Chillingworth see out the window at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Just Hester.
(b) Hester and Pearl.
(c) Just Pearl.
(d) Their own reflections.
14. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
(a) The name of her child.
(b) The name of her lover.
(c) The name of the witch.
(d) The name of her husband.
15. In which year was this preface written?
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
2. Why do most Puritans fast, according to the narrator?
3. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
4. What are the two non-Puritan sects mentioned in this Chapter 2?
5. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)