|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Recognizance.
(b) The Meeting.
(c) The Resistance.
(d) The Recognition.
2. How does Hester dress her daughter?
(a) In the "richest tissue."
(b) In "paler loveliness."
(c) In "rustic weeds."
(d) In "infinite variety."
3. Who is to wear the thing Hester is delivering to the governor's house?
(a) The governor's daughter.
(b) The governor's servants.
(c) The governor's wife.
(d) The governor himself.
4. What are the spikes on the door to the jail made of?
5. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
6. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
7. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
(a) Petty and partisan.
(b) Personal, legal and moral.
(c) Spiritual and political.
(d) Personal and politcal.
8. Where does Chillingworth take up residence?
(a) At the Governor's.
(b) With Dimmesdale, at the rectory.
(c) In the same rooming house as Dimmesdale.
(d) With Mistress Hibbins.
9. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
(c) Wit's End.
10. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
11. Whom do Dimmesdale and Chillingworth see out the window at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Just Pearl.
(b) Their own reflections.
(c) Just Hester.
(d) Hester and Pearl.
12. When Wilson asks Pearl who made her, what does she answer?
(a) That her mother had picked her off a rose bush.
(b) That Hester had made her alone.
(c) That Dimmesdale is her father.
(d) That a stork had delivered her.
13. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
(a) His editor.
(b) The Custom's Inspector.
(c) Hester Prynne.
(d) The Governot.
14. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
(a) "beautiful munchkin"
(b) "little elf"
(c) "sole treasure"
(d) "airy sprite"
15. Why does Hester stay in New England?
(a) She enjoys whaling.
(b) Her family is there.
(c) She enjoys the brisk winter.
(d) It is the scene of her crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
2. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
3. Where are Dimmesdale's parents?
4. Whose widow is Mistress Hibbins?
5. What color is Hester's hair?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)