Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(a) Big brother.
(b) Uncle Sam.
(d) The golden eagle.
2. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
(a) The Virgin Mary.
(b) Mother Theresa.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
(d) The pope.
3. What are the spikes on the door to the jail made of?
4. Where does Chillingworth take up residence?
(a) In the same rooming house as Dimmesdale.
(b) At the Governor's.
(c) With Mistress Hibbins.
(d) With Dimmesdale, at the rectory.
5. Chapter 6 is named after which character?
6. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
7. Whose widow is Mistress Hibbins?
(a) The magistrate's.
(b) The governor's.
(c) The minister's.
(d) The narrator's.
8. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
(a) Rural England.
(c) Bustling London.
9. The title of Chapter 9 ("The Leech") refers to which character?
10. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The altar.
(b) The steeple.
(c) The governor's mantle.
(d) The scaffold.
11. When Wilson asks Pearl who made her, what does she answer?
(a) That her mother had picked her off a rose bush.
(b) That Dimmesdale is her father.
(c) That Hester had made her alone.
(d) That a stork had delivered her.
12. One person suggest that Hester should have an iron brand burned where?
(a) On her forehead.
(b) On her chest.
(c) On the palms of her hands.
(d) On her cheek.
13. In which year was this preface written?
14. Which man in at the governor's argues that Hester should be allowed to keep Pearl?
15. What is the shape of the hats worn in the "throng"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
2. Salem is characterized currently as....?
3. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
4. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
5. While his health is failing, Dimmesdale has achieved what in his profession?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)