|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Dimmesdale's parents?
(b) In England.
(c) In Salem.
(d) In Boston.
2. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
(a) The schoolhouse.
(b) The governor's mansion.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The church.
3. Why is Pearl's mother questioned about whether or not she should have custody of the baby?
(a) Because of her sin.
(b) Because Pearl is acting out in school.
(c) Because Pearl is hanging out with a bad crowd.
(d) Because Hester has a drinking problem.
4. Whom do Dimmesdale and Chillingworth see out the window at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Their own reflections.
(b) Just Hester.
(c) Just Pearl.
(d) Hester and Pearl.
5. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
(a) His editor.
(b) Hester Prynne.
(c) The Custom's Inspector.
(d) The Governot.
6. Who is described as a/an "intolerant brood?"
(a) The Dutch.
(b) The Puritans.
(c) The governor's family.
(d) The Indians.
7. Who is the patient referred to in the title of Chapter 10?
8. What kind of men are rare in the colony, according to the narrator?
(d) Doctors and scientists.
9. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
(a) Apple pie.
(b) Uncle Sam.
(c) The stars and stripes.
(d) An eagle.
10. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
(b) Sluggish bond servant.
(c) Religious heterodoxy.
(d) Undutiful child.
11. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
(a) Old Manse.
(b) Big House.
(c) Venerated Palace.
(d) Regal Apartment.
12. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) Introductory to <i>The Scarlet Letter</i>.
(b) A Novel of Morals.
(c) A Preface.
(d) A Play in Four Acts.
13. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
(a) The name of her child.
(b) The name of her lover.
(c) The name of the witch.
(d) The name of her husband.
14. What color is Hester's hair?
15. How does Hester dress her daughter?
(a) In "rustic weeds."
(b) In "infinite variety."
(c) In the "richest tissue."
(d) In "paler loveliness."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do most Puritans fast, according to the narrator?
2. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
3. The title of Chapter 5 refers to what?
4. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
5. The tone of this preface is best described as...
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)