|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
2. Who is to wear the thing Hester is delivering to the governor's house?
(a) The governor's daughter.
(b) The governor himself.
(c) The governor's wife.
(d) The governor's servants.
3. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
4. Why does Hester stay in New England?
(a) She enjoys whaling.
(b) She enjoys the brisk winter.
(c) It is the scene of her crime.
(d) Her family is there.
5. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
(a) "airy sprite"
(b) "beautiful munchkin"
(c) "little elf"
(d) "sole treasure"
6. Which part of <i>The Scarlet Letter</i> does this preface specifically refer to?
(a) The denouement.
(b) "The Custom-House."
(c) "The New England Holiday,"
(d) The climax.
7. The title of Chapter 5 refers to what?
(a) Hester's guilt.
(b) Hester's past.
(c) Hester's love life.
(d) Hester's work.
8. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
(a) In church.
(b) In jail.
(c) At the doctor's office.
(d) At the governor's mansion.
9. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
(a) The Virgin Mary.
(b) Mary Magdalene.
(c) The pope.
(d) Mother Theresa.
10. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
(a) They are bearded.
(b) They are ministers.
(c) They are bald.
(d) They are fat.
11. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
(a) He wants to hurt the victim of his wit.
(b) He thinks it is true.
(c) He enjoys the notoriety.
(d) He has made too much money from it.
12. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The steeple.
(b) The altar.
(c) The governor's mantle.
(d) The scaffold.
13. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Resistance.
(b) The Meeting.
(c) The Recognition.
(d) The Recognizance.
14. Chillingworth is described as which of the following in Chapter 11?
15. Who is described as a/an "intolerant brood?"
(a) The Indians.
(b) The governor's family.
(c) The Dutch.
(d) The Puritans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
2. Chapter 6 is named after which character?
3. Which character is described as having a "wildflower prettiness?"
4. Which description does not apply to Dimmesdale?
5. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)