|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which field had Bellingham trained for/been educated in?
2. Chillingworth is described as which of the following in Chapter 11?
3. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
(a) Chillingworth and Bellingham.
(b) Hester and Chillingworth.
(c) Hester and Dimmesdale.
(d) Chillingworth and Dimmesdale.
4. Who is described as a/an "intolerant brood?"
(a) The Puritans.
(b) The Indians.
(c) The Dutch.
(d) The governor's family.
5. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
(a) Three days.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three months.
(d) A week.
6. Whom do Dimmesdale and Chillingworth see out the window at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Just Hester.
(b) Just Pearl.
(c) Hester and Pearl.
(d) Their own reflections.
7. At the governor's house when the men are debating Hester's custody, what does one of them say Pearl should have been named?
(a) Ruby, Scarlet or Roseanna.
(b) Ruby, Coral or Red Rose.
(c) Pinkie, Cora or Rosa.
(d) Scarlet, Rose or Diamond.
8. Where are Dimmesdale's parents?
(a) In England.
(b) In Salem.
(c) In Boston.
9. Which description does not apply to Dimmesdale?
(a) Weak frame.
(d) Nervous temperament.
10. Which character is described as having a "wildflower prettiness?"
11. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
12. Salem is characterized currently as....?
13. Who is to wear the thing Hester is delivering to the governor's house?
(a) The governor's daughter.
(b) The governor's servants.
(c) The governor's wife.
(d) The governor himself.
14. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
(a) At the doctor's office.
(b) At the governor's mansion.
(c) In jail.
(d) In church.
15. Who is NOT among the crowd shaming Hester?
(a) Hester's pastor.
(b) The governor.
(c) The judges.
(d) Hester's parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which man in at the governor's argues that Hester should be allowed to keep Pearl?
2. When the doctor gives Hester something to drink, what does she think is in the cup?
3. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
4. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
5. What is the shape of the hats worn in the "throng"?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)