|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hester delivering to the governor's house when she goes there in Chapter 7?
(a) A scarf.
2. What is the shape of the hats worn in the "throng"?
3. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
(a) Apple pie.
(b) An eagle.
(c) Uncle Sam.
(d) The stars and stripes.
4. Who is NOT among the crowd shaming Hester?
(a) Hester's parents.
(b) Hester's pastor.
(c) The judges.
(d) The governor.
5. Who thinks that Hester's punishment/sentence is too light?
(a) The men of town.
(b) The women of town.
(c) The ministers.
(d) The children of town.
6. When Wilson asks Pearl who made her, what does she answer?
(a) That her mother had picked her off a rose bush.
(b) That Hester had made her alone.
(c) That Dimmesdale is her father.
(d) That a stork had delivered her.
7. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
8. What quiets Pearl in this when she wants something from the governor's garden?
(a) The appearance of the governor.
(b) Her obedience to Hester.
(c) The gardener gives her what she wants.
(d) Her nanny.
9. Why do most Puritans fast, according to the narrator?
(a) To cure disease.
(b) To purify their bodies.
(c) To conserve food.
(d) To lose weight.
10. Why does Hester stay in New England?
(a) Her family is there.
(b) She enjoys the brisk winter.
(c) It is the scene of her crime.
(d) She enjoys whaling.
11. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
(a) A week.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three months.
(d) Six months.
12. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
(d) Bull Moose.
13. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
(a) Old Manse.
(b) Big House.
(c) Regal Apartment.
(d) Venerated Palace.
14. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Recognition.
(b) The Meeting.
(c) The Recognizance.
(d) The Resistance.
15. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
(a) A sad sailing town.
(b) A bustling port.
(c) A busy metropolis.
(d) A dour harbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
2. What are the spikes on the door to the jail made of?
3. The title of Chapter 8 is the what and "the Minister?"
4. Who is described as a/an "intolerant brood?"
5. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)