|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Recognition.
(b) The Resistance.
(c) The Recognizance.
(d) The Meeting.
2. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
(a) Hester Prynne.
(b) The Governot.
(c) The Custom's Inspector.
(d) His editor.
3. What are the spikes on the door to the jail made of?
4. What are the two non-Puritan sects mentioned in this Chapter 2?
(a) Antimonian, Quaker, and Catholic.
(b) Quaker and Catholic.
(c) Antimonian and Quaker.
(d) Shaker and Quaker.
5. What color is Hester's hair?
6. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
(a) The name of her lover.
(b) The name of the witch.
(c) The name of her child.
(d) The name of her husband.
7. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
8. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
(a) In the governor's garden.
(b) In Hester's garden.
(c) By the seashoer.
(d) In a graveyard.
9. Which field had Bellingham trained for/been educated in?
10. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
11. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) Approximately 90 or 100.
(b) Approximately 150 or more.
(c) Approximately 50 or 60.
(d) Approximately 15 or 20.
12. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
(a) Salem Cemetery.
(b) Charter Street burial-ground.
(c) Town Cemetery.
(d) Old Church burial-ground.
13. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
(a) The pope.
(b) The Virgin Mary.
(c) Mother Theresa.
(d) Mary Magdalene.
14. When the doctor gives Hester something to drink, what does she think is in the cup?
(c) A truth serum.
15. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
(a) The fourth.
(b) The third.
(c) The first.
(d) The second.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
2. Who is to wear the thing Hester is delivering to the governor's house?
3. When Wilson asks Pearl who made her, what does she answer?
4. While his health is failing, Dimmesdale has achieved what in his profession?
5. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)