|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The title of Chapter 9 ("The Leech") refers to which character?
2. Who is Hester's legal husband?
3. Who is with the governor when Hester visits his house to deliver something?
(a) Lee, Chillingworth, and Dimmesdale.
(b) Wilson, Dimmesdale and Chillingworth.
(c) Wilson and Dimmesdale.
(d) Dimmesdale, Chillingworth and Hibbins.
4. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
(a) Hester Prynne.
(b) The Custom's Inspector.
(c) His editor.
(d) The Governot.
5. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
6. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
(a) Portrait of the Puritans.
(b) Sketch of official life.
(c) Sketch of old-time Salem.
(d) Picture of the colony.
7. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
(d) Bull Moose.
8. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(b) The scarlet letter.
(c) Hester's diary.
(d) Dimmesdale's diary.
9. Why do most Puritans fast, according to the narrator?
(a) To lose weight.
(b) To cure disease.
(c) To purify their bodies.
(d) To conserve food.
10. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
11. Who is the patient referred to in the title of Chapter 10?
12. What are the two non-Puritan sects mentioned in this Chapter 2?
(a) Quaker and Catholic.
(b) Antimonian, Quaker, and Catholic.
(c) Antimonian and Quaker.
(d) Shaker and Quaker.
13. What is the shape of the hats worn in the "throng"?
14. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
(a) The name of the witch.
(b) The name of her husband.
(c) The name of her lover.
(d) The name of her child.
15. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
(a) He had murdered someone.
(b) He had kidnapped someone.
(c) He had committed adultery.
(d) He had burned down the Custom-House.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
2. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
3. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
4. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
5. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)