|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the governor's house when the men are debating Hester's custody, what does one of them say Pearl should have been named?
(a) Pinkie, Cora or Rosa.
(b) Ruby, Coral or Red Rose.
(c) Scarlet, Rose or Diamond.
(d) Ruby, Scarlet or Roseanna.
2. When the doctor gives Hester something to drink, what does she think is in the cup?
(b) A truth serum.
3. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
4. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(a) The golden eagle.
(b) Big brother.
(c) Uncle Sam.
5. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
(a) His editor.
(b) Hester Prynne.
(c) The Custom's Inspector.
(d) The Governot.
6. Who is Hester's legal husband?
7. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Resistance.
(b) The Meeting.
(c) The Recognizance.
(d) The Recognition.
8. Where are Dimmesdale's parents?
(b) In Boston.
(c) In Salem.
(d) In England.
9. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
(a) The third.
(b) The fourth.
(c) The second.
(d) The first.
10. Why is Pearl's mother questioned about whether or not she should have custody of the baby?
(a) Because Hester has a drinking problem.
(b) Because Pearl is hanging out with a bad crowd.
(c) Because of her sin.
(d) Because Pearl is acting out in school.
11. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
(a) A rose bush.
(b) A weeping willow.
12. Whose widow is Mistress Hibbins?
(a) The minister's.
(b) The governor's.
(c) The magistrate's.
(d) The narrator's.
13. Chillingworth is described as which of the following in Chapter 11?
14. Who is described as a/an "intolerant brood?"
(a) The Indians.
(b) The governor's family.
(c) The Puritans.
(d) The Dutch.
15. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
(a) "beautiful munchkin"
(b) "airy sprite"
(c) "little elf"
(d) "sole treasure"
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
2. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
3. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
4. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
5. What are the two non-Puritan sects mentioned in this Chapter 2?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)