|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
(a) In a graveyard.
(b) By the seashoer.
(c) In the governor's garden.
(d) In Hester's garden.
2. Chillingworth has a degree from a university in which country?
3. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
(b) Bustling London.
(c) Rural England.
4. What is the health problem wrong with Dimmesdale?
(c) Failing eyesight.
(d) Failing health.
5. The title of Chapter 9 ("The Leech") refers to which character?
6. Why do most Puritans fast, according to the narrator?
(a) To cure disease.
(b) To purify their bodies.
(c) To conserve food.
(d) To lose weight.
7. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
(a) Town Cemetery.
(b) Charter Street burial-ground.
(c) Old Church burial-ground.
(d) Salem Cemetery.
8. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
(a) "airy sprite"
(b) "little elf"
(c) "beautiful munchkin"
(d) "sole treasure"
9. In which year was this preface written?
10. Hester's work is seen everywhere with the exception of:
(a) At weddings.
(b) At funerals.
(c) In church.
(d) On babies.
11. Where was Reverend Dimmesdale trained in religion?
12. What are the two non-Puritan sects mentioned in this Chapter 2?
(a) Antimonian and Quaker.
(b) Antimonian, Quaker, and Catholic.
(c) Quaker and Catholic.
(d) Shaker and Quaker.
13. Salem is characterized currently as....?
14. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
(a) The denouement.
(b) The climax.
(c) "The New England Holiday,"
(d) "The Custom-House."
15. How does the narrator describe the former queen of England, Elizabeth I?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
2. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
3. Which man in at the governor's argues that Hester should be allowed to keep Pearl?
4. What is one of Chillingworth's distinguishing physical features?
5. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)