|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pearl desperately desire from the governor's garden?
(a) A rose.
(b) A tulip.
(c) A cabbage.
(d) A pumpkin.
2. The tone of this preface is best described as...
3. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Hester's pearl necklace.
(b) The spikes on the door to the jail.
(c) The ladies in the crowd.
4. Which man in at the governor's argues that Hester should be allowed to keep Pearl?
5. What quiets Pearl in this when she wants something from the governor's garden?
(a) The gardener gives her what she wants.
(b) The appearance of the governor.
(c) Her obedience to Hester.
(d) Her nanny.
6. Chillingworth has a degree from a university in which country?
7. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
(b) Bull Moose.
8. Hester's work is seen everywhere with the exception of:
(a) In church.
(b) At weddings.
(c) On babies.
(d) At funerals.
9. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
10. What are the spikes on the door to the jail made of?
11. When Wilson asks Pearl who made her, what does she answer?
(a) That a stork had delivered her.
(b) That Dimmesdale is her father.
(c) That Hester had made her alone.
(d) That her mother had picked her off a rose bush.
12. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
(a) At the governor's mansion.
(b) At the doctor's office.
(c) In church.
(d) In jail.
13. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
14. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
15. The title of Chapter 8 is the what and "the Minister?"
(a) The Elf-Child and the Minister.
(b) The Elfin and the Minister.
(c) The Miniature and the Minstrel.
(d) The Minstrel and the Minister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
2. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
3. Where was Reverend Dimmesdale trained in religion?
4. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
5. Which character is described as having a "wildflower prettiness?"
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)