Short Essay Questions Key
1. What is Hawthorne's emotional state in the preface?
2. What does Hawthorne promise to "alter or expunge"?
3. Does Hawthorne, in the end, decide to change anything?
4. Why does Hawthorne decide to republish the offending introduction?
5. Describe the setting Hawthorne describes of the busy wharf.
6. What does Hawthorne say the purpose of the eagle is, which hangs in front of the building?
7. What has happened to the original spirit of the town of Salem, as in, to the legacy of the original founders?
8. What does Hawthorne find alongside the scarlet letter?
9. Describe the clothing worn by the "throng of bearded men" at the beginning of Chapter 1.
10. Describe the door to the jail.
11. What kind of plant stands outside the prison, offering a contrast in color and form? Describe what the narrator says about it.
12. Name one of the two reasons Hawthorne suspects that the plant standing outside the prison survived.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)