Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Preface
1. What is Hawthorne's emotional state in the preface?
2. What does Hawthorne promise to "alter or expunge"?
3. Does Hawthorne, in the end, decide to change anything?
4. Why does Hawthorne decide to republish the offending introduction?
Short Essay Question - The Custom House
5. Describe the setting Hawthorne describes of the busy wharf.
6. What does Hawthorne say the purpose of the eagle is, which hangs in front of the building?
7. What has happened to the original spirit of...
This section contains 1,062 words|
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)