1. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
2. In which year was this preface written?
3. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
4. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
Sketch of official life.
5. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
He had burned down the Custom-House.
6. The "public disapprobation" refers to...?
7. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
The Custom's Inspector.
8. The tone of this preface is best described as...
9. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
He thinks it is true.
This section contains 3,861 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)