1. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
2. In which year was this preface written?
3. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
4. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
5. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
6. The "public disapprobation" refers to...?
7. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
8. The tone of this preface is best described as...
9. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
This section contains 3,865 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)