|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Recognizance.
(b) The Recognition.
(c) The Meeting.
(d) The Resistance.
2. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
3. What, at the end of Chapter 11, is the "only truth" for Dimmesdale?
(a) "The anguish in his inmost soul."
(b) "The mercy of almightly Heaven."
(c) "The malice in Chillingworth's eyes."
(d) "The joy in his beating heart."
4. What street runs outside the Custom-House?
(a) Salem Road.
(b) High Street.
(c) Main Street.
(d) Derby Street.
5. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) The ladies in the crowd.
(c) Hester's pearl necklace.
(d) The spikes on the door to the jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the former queen of England, Elizabeth I?
2. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
3. Where is the ship the Spanish Main sailing?
4. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
5. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)