|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom do Dimmesdale and Chillingworth see out the window at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Their own reflections.
(b) Just Hester.
(c) Just Pearl.
(d) Hester and Pearl.
2. Where is the ship the Spanish Main sailing?
3. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
(a) His editor.
(b) The Custom's Inspector.
(c) Hester Prynne.
(d) The Governot.
4. Where does the minister go in the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) To the scaffold.
(b) To Hester's.
(c) To the governor's.
(d) To church.
5. Dimmesdale's voice is compared to what natural phenomenon in Chapter 23?
(a) Surging wind of the coast.
(b) Patter of raindrops on the roof.
(c) Swelling waves of the sea.
(d) Twisting branches of a dead oak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
2. Who is described as a/an "intolerant brood?"
3. How many years have passed so far in this novel, in Chapter 13?
4. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
5. In what month does this "obscure night" take place in Chapter 12?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)