|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is the first thing that Pearl noticed, as a baby?
(b) The scarlet letter.
(c) Hester's long black hair.
(d) Her own curls.
2. Which of the following is NOT used by the narrator to describe Pearl in Chapter 21?
3. Why does Hester stay in New England?
(a) She enjoys the brisk winter.
(b) It is the scene of her crime.
(c) Her family is there.
(d) She enjoys whaling.
4. Who in the audience taunts Hester and Pearl at the appearance of Dimmesdale?
5. What is one of Chillingworth's distinguishing physical features?
(a) One of his shoulders is higher than the other.
(b) He is lame in his right leg.
(c) His left eye droops.
(d) He is missing most of the toes on his left foot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as a/an "intolerant brood?"
2. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
3. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
4. Whose widow is Mistress Hibbins?
5. According to the narrator, which of the following has NOT been one of Hester's "teachers"?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)