|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the governor's house when the men are debating Hester's custody, what does one of them say Pearl should have been named?
(a) Ruby, Scarlet or Roseanna.
(b) Ruby, Coral or Red Rose.
(c) Pinkie, Cora or Rosa.
(d) Scarlet, Rose or Diamond.
2. What describes Dimmesdale's hand, when Hester touches it?
(a) "Cold as ice. "
(c) "Chill as death."
3. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) The ladies in the crowd.
(c) Hester's pearl necklace.
(d) The spikes on the door to the jail.
4. Whose widow is Mistress Hibbins?
(a) The narrator's.
(b) The magistrate's.
(c) The minister's.
(d) The governor's.
5. Which character is described as having a "wildflower prettiness?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 18?
2. How does the narrator characterize Dimmesdale's sermon?
3. What is the title of Chapter 17?
4. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
5. Who is to wear the thing Hester is delivering to the governor's house?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)