|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why will Pearl not come to Hester in Chapter 19?
(a) She is angry at her mother.
(b) She has taken off the letter.
(c) She is talking with a man.
(d) She is across the brook.
2. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
(a) The name of her husband.
(b) The name of the witch.
(c) The name of her child.
(d) The name of her lover.
3. Which description does not apply to Dimmesdale?
(a) Weak frame.
(c) Nervous temperament.
4. What is Hester wearing on the public holiday in Chapter 21?
(a) Coarse gray cloth.
(b) Fine scarlet gown.
(c) A plain blue dress.
(d) A white wedding gown.
5. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
(a) From the Black Man.
(b) From the Dark Man.
(c) From Mistress Hibbins.
(d) From the Dark Reverend.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the doctor gives Hester something to drink, what does she think is in the cup?
2. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
3. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
4. What, at the end of Chapter 11, is the "only truth" for Dimmesdale?
5. Which character is described as having a "wildflower prettiness?"
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)