|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What describes Dimmesdale's hand, when Hester touches it?
(b) "Chill as death."
(d) "Cold as ice. "
2. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
3. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
(a) Personal, legal and moral.
(b) Petty and partisan.
(c) Personal and politcal.
(d) Spiritual and political.
4. Who is described as a/an "intolerant brood?"
(a) The Dutch.
(b) The Indians.
(c) The governor's family.
(d) The Puritans.
5. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
(b) Bull Moose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 14?
2. Why, according to Pearl, does sunshine "run away and hide itself" from Hester?
3. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
4. What does Hester tell Dimmesdale about Chillingworth in Chapter 17?
5. Why does Hester stay in New England?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)