|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Hester when Chillingworth leaves, "his gray beard almost" touching the ground?
(a) In church.
(b) In the woods.
(c) At the governor's.
(d) At the roominghouse.
2. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
(a) Old Manse.
(b) Big House.
(c) Regal Apartment.
(d) Venerated Palace.
3. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
4. Whom does Dimmesdale set out to meet?
(a) Apostle Eliot.
(b) Apostle Elias.
(c) Disciple Ellison.
(d) Disciple Adrian.
5. According to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth's revenge has been "____ than [his] sin"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year was this preface written?
2. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
3. What, at the end of Chapter 11, is the "only truth" for Dimmesdale?
4. What metal is the previously mentioned book and pen associated with?
5. What are the spikes on the door to the jail made of?
This section contains 192 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)