|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(b) The scarlet letter.
(c) Hester's diary.
(d) Dimmesdale's diary.
2. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
3. Where is Hester when Chillingworth leaves, "his gray beard almost" touching the ground?
(a) In church.
(b) At the governor's.
(c) In the woods.
(d) At the roominghouse.
4. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(a) The golden eagle.
(b) Uncle Sam.
(c) Big brother.
5. What is the title of the first chapter?
(a) Gaol-Door Rock.
(c) The Prison Rose.
(d) The Prison-Door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pearl desperately desire from the governor's garden?
2. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
3. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
4. What is Hester delivering to the governor's house when she goes there in Chapter 7?
5. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)