|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quiets Pearl in this when she wants something from the governor's garden?
(a) Her obedience to Hester.
(b) The gardener gives her what she wants.
(c) The appearance of the governor.
(d) Her nanny.
2. Where was Reverend Dimmesdale trained in religion?
3. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) The ladies in the crowd.
(b) Hester's pearl necklace.
(c) The spikes on the door to the jail.
4. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) Dimmesdale's diary.
(b) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(c) The scarlet letter.
(d) Hester's diary.
5. Chillingworth is described as which of the following in Chapter 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year was this preface written?
2. Why do Hester and Dimmesdale chose the place they do to escape to?
3. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
4. While his health is failing, Dimmesdale has achieved what in his profession?
5. How does the narrator characterize Dimmesdale's sermon?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)