|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
(a) He had burned down the Custom-House.
(b) He had kidnapped someone.
(c) He had committed adultery.
(d) He had murdered someone.
2. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) Approximately 50 or 60.
(b) Approximately 15 or 20.
(c) Approximately 150 or more.
(d) Approximately 90 or 100.
3. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
(b) Rural England.
(c) Bustling London.
4. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
5. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
(a) "A tall white pedestal."
(b) "A mysterious maze."
(c) "A red-hot iron."
(d) "A fletched arrow."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
2. What is the title of Chapter 3?
3. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
4. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
5. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)