|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
(a) Hester and Dimmesdale.
(b) Chillingworth and Bellingham.
(c) Hester and Chillingworth.
(d) Chillingworth and Dimmesdale.
2. What, at the end of Chapter 11, is the "only truth" for Dimmesdale?
(a) "The anguish in his inmost soul."
(b) "The malice in Chillingworth's eyes."
(c) "The mercy of almightly Heaven."
(d) "The joy in his beating heart."
3. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Recognizance.
(b) The Resistance.
(c) The Recognition.
(d) The Meeting.
4. Who is said to haunt the forest outside town, carrying a big, heavy book with him?
(a) The Black Man.
(b) The Dark Reverend.
(c) The Dark Man.
(d) The Evil Man.
5. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) Approximately 90 or 100.
(b) Approximately 50 or 60.
(c) Approximately 150 or more.
(d) Approximately 15 or 20.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 17?
2. Who is said to ride "with Satan through the air?"
3. Why does Hester stay in New England?
4. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
5. Who are the "rough-looking desperadoes, with sun-blackened faces" at the holiday in Chapter 21?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)