|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hester tell Dimmesdale about Chillingworth in Chapter 17?
(a) That he is not really a doctor.
(b) That he is really a Catholic.
(c) That he is on an undercover mission for the governor.
(d) That he is her husband.
2. Why does Hester stay in New England?
(a) She enjoys whaling.
(b) She enjoys the brisk winter.
(c) Her family is there.
(d) It is the scene of her crime.
3. Which character seeks to make him or herself "the one trusted friend, to whom should be confided all the fear"?
4. Why will Pearl not come to Hester in Chapter 19?
(a) She is talking with a man.
(b) She has taken off the letter.
(c) She is across the brook.
(d) She is angry at her mother.
5. What is the health problem wrong with Dimmesdale?
(a) Failing eyesight.
(b) Failing health.
Short Answer Questions
1. From which city is this preface written?
2. What does Hester threaten to do at the end of Chapter 14?
3. The title of Chapter 8 is the what and "the Minister?"
4. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
5. The tone of this preface is best described as...
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)