|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hester threaten to do at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Reveal the name of her lover.
(b) Escape Boston.
(c) Kill herself.
(d) Betray Chillingworth's identity.
2. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
(a) A grimace.
(b) A smile.
(c) A shrug.
(d) A wink.
3. From which city is this preface written?
(d) New York.
4. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Meeting.
(b) The Recognition.
(c) The Resistance.
(d) The Recognizance.
5. Who retrieves the object that Hester flings away?
(c) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the spikes on the door to the jail made of?
2. What was the door to the jail made of?
3. How does the narrator describe the former queen of England, Elizabeth I?
4. Which description does not apply to Dimmesdale?
5. Who is said to ride "with Satan through the air?"
This section contains 160 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)