|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Chillingworth take up residence?
(a) In the same rooming house as Dimmesdale.
(b) With Mistress Hibbins.
(c) At the Governor's.
(d) With Dimmesdale, at the rectory.
2. Which man in at the governor's argues that Hester should be allowed to keep Pearl?
3. When Pearl repeatedly asks Hester what the letter stand for, what does Hester tell her in Chapter 15?
(a) She says it is a witch's mark.
(b) She says it stands for Able.
(c) She does not give an answer.
(d) She says it stands for Adultry
4. Where are Dimmesdale's parents?
(b) In England.
(c) In Salem.
(d) In Boston.
5. What kind of men are rare in the colony, according to the narrator?
(c) Doctors and scientists.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to many of the townspeople who have come to appreciate Hester, should the A stand for?
2. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
3. According to the narrator, which of the following has NOT been one of Hester's "teachers"?
4. How many years have passed so far in this novel, in Chapter 13?
5. Who is Hester's legal husband?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)