|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Dimmesdale at the town center Chapter 12?
(a) To stand side by side with Hester.
(b) To trick Chillingworth.
(c) To shame Hester.
(d) To proclaim his guilt in public.
2. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
(a) "A fletched arrow."
(b) "A red-hot iron."
(c) "A mysterious maze."
(d) "A tall white pedestal."
3. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) Approximately 90 or 100.
(b) Approximately 150 or more.
(c) Approximately 50 or 60.
(d) Approximately 15 or 20.
4. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
(a) They are bald.
(b) They are ministers.
(c) They are fat.
(d) They are bearded.
5. When Pearl will not cross the brook, what does Hester tell her she can leap like?
(a) Young deer.
(b) Giant grasshopper.
(c) Bull frog.
(d) Little girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quiets Pearl in this when she wants something from the governor's garden?
2. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
3. Dimmesdale claims that his scarlet letter burns how?
4. One person suggest that Hester should have an iron brand burned where?
5. According to Dimmesdale, Chillingworth's revenge has been "____ than [his] sin"?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)