|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
2. What color is Hester's hair?
3. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) The Pastor and His Parish.
(b) The Pastor and His Lover.
(c) The Pastor and the Thief.
(d) The Pastor and His Parishoner.
4. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
(a) In a graveyard.
(b) In the governor's garden.
(c) By the seashoer.
(d) In Hester's garden.
5. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
(a) "sole treasure"
(b) "airy sprite"
(c) "little elf"
(d) "beautiful munchkin"
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
2. Why is Pearl's mother questioned about whether or not she should have custody of the baby?
3. Why will Pearl not come to Hester in Chapter 19?
4. What, according to many of the townspeople who have come to appreciate Hester, should the A stand for?
5. Who retrieves the object that Hester flings away?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)