|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
2. When Pearl will not cross the brook, what does Hester tell her she can leap like?
(a) Young deer.
(b) Bull frog.
(c) Giant grasshopper.
(d) Little girls.
3. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Recognizance.
(b) The Recognition.
(c) The Meeting.
(d) The Resistance.
4. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
(a) The meteor/falling star.
(b) The scarlet letter.
(c) Chillingworth's malice.
(d) Pearl's eyes.
5. What was the door to the jail made of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Hester says that Pearl is "strange" and what at first?
2. To whom does this description refer: "a seemingly careless arrangement of his heterogeneous garb"?
3. How is Hibbins related to the Governor?
4. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
5. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
This section contains 168 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)