|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
(a) Portrait of the Puritans.
(b) Sketch of official life.
(c) Picture of the colony.
(d) Sketch of old-time Salem.
2. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
(a) The third.
(b) The second.
(c) The fourth.
(d) The first.
3. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The altar.
(b) The scaffold.
(c) The governor's mantle.
(d) The steeple.
4. When Wilson asks Pearl who made her, what does she answer?
(a) That Dimmesdale is her father.
(b) That Hester had made her alone.
(c) That a stork had delivered her.
(d) That her mother had picked her off a rose bush.
5. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with the governor when Hester visits his house to deliver something?
2. Who is named as Hester's pastor in Chapter 2?
3. In what month does this "obscure night" take place in Chapter 12?
4. Who is the patient referred to in the title of Chapter 10?
5. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)