|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what kind of natural objects has Pearl decorated herself in Chapter 18?
(a) Sand and driftwood.
(d) Maple leaves.
2. Which field had Bellingham trained for/been educated in?
3. What does Chillingworth say in Chapter 14 the town council has been debating?
(a) Whether to arrest Hester again.
(b) Whether to take away the scarlet letter.
(c) Whether to take away Pearl from Hester.
(d) Whether to exile Hester from Boston.
4. What is the title of the first chapter?
(a) The Prison-Door.
(b) Gaol-Door Rock.
(c) The Prison Rose.
5. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
(a) They are bald.
(b) They are ministers.
(c) They are fat.
(d) They are bearded.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
2. Where does Dimmesdale hold his hand often throughout the novel?
3. Which of the following creatures is not mentioned while Pearl plays on the shore?
4. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
5. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)