|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the former queen of England, Elizabeth I?
2. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
(a) A wink.
(b) A grimace.
(c) A smile.
(d) A shrug.
3. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
(a) The pope.
(b) The Virgin Mary.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
(d) Mother Theresa.
4. In which year was this preface written?
5. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
(a) Rural England.
(d) Bustling London.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
2. When the doctor gives Hester something to drink, what does she think is in the cup?
3. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
4. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
5. What, at the end of Chapter 11, is the "only truth" for Dimmesdale?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)