|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
(b) Wit's End.
2. How does the narrator describe the former queen of England, Elizabeth I?
3. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Hester's pearl necklace.
(c) The spikes on the door to the jail.
(d) The ladies in the crowd.
4. Who is with the governor when Hester visits his house to deliver something?
(a) Wilson and Dimmesdale.
(b) Wilson, Dimmesdale and Chillingworth.
(c) Dimmesdale, Chillingworth and Hibbins.
(d) Lee, Chillingworth, and Dimmesdale.
5. One person suggest that Hester should have an iron brand burned where?
(a) On her forehead.
(b) On the palms of her hands.
(c) On her chest.
(d) On her cheek.
Short Answer Questions
1. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
2. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
3. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
4. According to Hester in Chapter 16, where does she tell Pearl she got the scarlet letter?
5. With what kind of natural objects has Pearl decorated herself in Chapter 18?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)