|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
(a) Chillingworth and Bellingham.
(b) Hester and Chillingworth.
(c) Chillingworth and Dimmesdale.
(d) Hester and Dimmesdale.
2. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
(b) Third person, omniscient.
(c) Third person, limited.
3. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
(a) He wants to hurt the victim of his wit.
(b) He enjoys the notoriety.
(c) He has made too much money from it.
(d) He thinks it is true.
4. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(b) Dimmesdale's diary.
(c) Hester's diary.
(d) The scarlet letter.
5. Who is to wear the thing Hester is delivering to the governor's house?
(a) The governor's servants.
(b) The governor himself.
(c) The governor's daughter.
(d) The governor's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dimmesdale exclaims, "O Thou to whom I dare not life mine eyes," whom is he addressing?
2. What does Pearl do when Dimmesdale kisses her?
3. Why will Pearl not come to Hester in Chapter 19?
4. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
5. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)