|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dimmesdale exclaims, "O Thou to whom I dare not life mine eyes," whom is he addressing?
2. Which man in at the governor's argues that Hester should be allowed to keep Pearl?
3. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
(a) He enjoys the notoriety.
(b) He wants to hurt the victim of his wit.
(c) He thinks it is true.
(d) He has made too much money from it.
4. Chillingworth has a degree from a university in which country?
5. Who is to wear the thing Hester is delivering to the governor's house?
(a) The governor himself.
(b) The governor's daughter.
(c) The governor's wife.
(d) The governor's servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hester stay in New England?
2. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
3. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
4. Who, according to the narrator, is at the "head of the social system" in Puritan times?
5. What does Chillingworth say in Chapter 14 the town council has been debating?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)