|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom do Dimmesdale and Chillingworth see out the window at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Just Hester.
(b) Hester and Pearl.
(c) Their own reflections.
(d) Just Pearl.
2. What does Hester threaten to do at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Reveal the name of her lover.
(b) Betray Chillingworth's identity.
(c) Kill herself.
(d) Escape Boston.
3. What quiets Pearl in this when she wants something from the governor's garden?
(a) The appearance of the governor.
(b) Her obedience to Hester.
(c) Her nanny.
(d) The gardener gives her what she wants.
4. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
(b) A rose bush.
(c) A weeping willow.
5. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
(a) He had kidnapped someone.
(b) He had murdered someone.
(c) He had burned down the Custom-House.
(d) He had committed adultery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do most Puritans fast, according to the narrator?
2. The "public disapprobation" refers to...?
3. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
4. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
5. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)