|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quiets Pearl in this when she wants something from the governor's garden?
(a) Her obedience to Hester.
(b) The appearance of the governor.
(c) Her nanny.
(d) The gardener gives her what she wants.
2. In which year was this preface written?
3. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
4. What does Chillingworth say in Chapter 14 the town council has been debating?
(a) Whether to arrest Hester again.
(b) Whether to take away the scarlet letter.
(c) Whether to exile Hester from Boston.
(d) Whether to take away Pearl from Hester.
5. What is the shape of the hats worn in the "throng"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
2. Why, according to Pearl, does sunshine "run away and hide itself" from Hester?
3. Hester's work is seen everywhere with the exception of:
4. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
5. Which character is described as having a "wildflower prettiness?"
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)