|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 6 is named after which character?
2. Who is described as a/an "intolerant brood?"
(a) The governor's family.
(b) The Indians.
(c) The Dutch.
(d) The Puritans.
3. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The church.
(c) The governor's mansion.
(d) The schoolhouse.
4. Why does Hester stay in New England?
(a) She enjoys whaling.
(b) It is the scene of her crime.
(c) She enjoys the brisk winter.
(d) Her family is there.
5. How is Hibbins related to the Governor?
(a) His sister-in-law.
(b) His sister.
(c) His daughter.
(d) No relation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Salem is characterized currently as....?
2. In what month does this "obscure night" take place in Chapter 12?
3. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
4. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
5. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
This section contains 180 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)