|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The church.
(c) The schoolhouse.
(d) The governor's mansion.
2. Why is Dimmesdale at the town center Chapter 12?
(a) To shame Hester.
(b) To trick Chillingworth.
(c) To stand side by side with Hester.
(d) To proclaim his guilt in public.
3. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) Approximately 90 or 100.
(b) Approximately 150 or more.
(c) Approximately 15 or 20.
(d) Approximately 50 or 60.
4. When Hester exclaims "better he had died at once!," to whom is she referring in Chapter 14?
(c) The old governor.
(d) The new governor.
5. While his health is failing, Dimmesdale has achieved what in his profession?
(a) "Sturdier texture."
(b) "Sanctimonius reputation."
(c) "Brillant popularity."
(d) "Populist ire."
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hester dress her daughter?
2. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
3. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
4. What was the door to the jail made of?
5. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)