|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the patient referred to in the title of Chapter 10?
2. How does Hester dress her daughter?
(a) In the "richest tissue."
(b) In "rustic weeds."
(c) In "paler loveliness."
(d) In "infinite variety."
3. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
(b) Religious heterodoxy.
(c) Undutiful child.
(d) Sluggish bond servant.
4. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Recognizance.
(b) The Recognition.
(c) The Meeting.
(d) The Resistance.
5. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
(a) Personal, legal and moral.
(b) Petty and partisan.
(c) Personal and politcal.
(d) Spiritual and political.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
2. What, in Chapter 13, "glimmers" with an "unearthly ray"?
3. What quiets Pearl in this when she wants something from the governor's garden?
4. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
5. What facial expression of Chillingworth displays his true malice, which the narrator calls "his blackness" in Chapter 14?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)