|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, according to Pearl, does sunshine "run away and hide itself" from Hester?
(a) Because of her fair skin.
(b) Because of her long gray dress.
(c) Because of the foliage.
(d) Because of the scarlet letter.
2. Where does Dimmesdale hold his hand often throughout the novel?
(a) Over his heart.
(b) In his pocket.
(c) Over his eyes.
(d) Clutching the Bible.
3. When Wilson asks Pearl who made her, what does she answer?
(a) That Dimmesdale is her father.
(b) That her mother had picked her off a rose bush.
(c) That a stork had delivered her.
(d) That Hester had made her alone.
4. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) Approximately 90 or 100.
(b) Approximately 50 or 60.
(c) Approximately 150 or more.
(d) Approximately 15 or 20.
5. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
(a) In jail.
(b) In church.
(c) At the doctor's office.
(d) At the governor's mansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
2. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
3. What does Pearl do with sea weed?
4. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
5. Which character is described as having a "wildflower prettiness?"
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)