|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Salem is characterized currently as....?
2. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
(a) A sad sailing town.
(b) A dour harbor.
(c) A bustling port.
(d) A busy metropolis.
3. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
4. While his health is failing, Dimmesdale has achieved what in his profession?
(a) "Populist ire."
(b) "Sturdier texture."
(c) "Brillant popularity."
(d) "Sanctimonius reputation."
5. Whose widow is Mistress Hibbins?
(a) The minister's.
(b) The magistrate's.
(c) The narrator's.
(d) The governor's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is said to haunt the forest outside town, carrying a big, heavy book with him?
2. Who thinks that Hester's punishment/sentence is too light?
3. What is the title of the first chapter?
4. Why, according to Pearl, does sunshine "run away and hide itself" from Hester?
5. What is the health problem wrong with Dimmesdale?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)