|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does this description refer: "a seemingly careless arrangement of his heterogeneous garb"?
2. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
(a) They are ministers.
(b) They are bald.
(c) They are fat.
(d) They are bearded.
3. What, at the end of Chapter 11, is the "only truth" for Dimmesdale?
(a) "The malice in Chillingworth's eyes."
(b) "The anguish in his inmost soul."
(c) "The mercy of almightly Heaven."
(d) "The joy in his beating heart."
4. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
5. What street runs outside the Custom-House?
(a) Derby Street.
(b) Salem Road.
(c) Main Street.
(d) High Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is named as Hester's pastor in Chapter 2?
2. While she is playing, Pearl makes a little boat out of what?
3. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
4. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
5. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)