|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pearl desperately desire from the governor's garden?
(a) A rose.
(b) A tulip.
(c) A cabbage.
(d) A pumpkin.
2. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(b) Mother Theresa.
(c) The pope.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
3. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
(a) His editor.
(b) Hester Prynne.
(c) The Governot.
(d) The Custom's Inspector.
4. Where does Dimmesdale imagine a "scarlet token?"
(a) On Hester.
(b) On his chest.
(c) On Pearl.
(d) On his forehead.
5. When Pearl repeatedly asks Hester what the letter stand for, what does Hester tell her in Chapter 15?
(a) She says it stands for Able.
(b) She says it is a witch's mark.
(c) She does not give an answer.
(d) She says it stands for Adultry
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
2. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
3. Whom does Dimmesdale set out to meet?
4. What, at the end of Chapter 11, is the "only truth" for Dimmesdale?
5. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)