|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
(a) The name of her husband.
(b) The name of her child.
(c) The name of her lover.
(d) The name of the witch.
2. How does the narrator describe the former queen of England, Elizabeth I?
3. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(b) Uncle Sam.
(c) Big brother.
(d) The golden eagle.
4. Which field had Bellingham trained for/been educated in?
5. Where does Dimmesdale imagine a "scarlet token?"
(a) On Pearl.
(b) On his chest.
(c) On his forehead.
(d) On Hester.
Short Answer Questions
1. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
2. What color is Hester's hair?
3. How does Hester dress her daughter?
4. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
5. In Chapter 14, the narrator symbolized the truth by what?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)