|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The title of Chapter 9 ("The Leech") refers to which character?
2. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) The scarlet letter.
(b) Dimmesdale's diary.
(c) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(d) Hester's diary.
3. Where does Chillingworth take up residence?
(a) In the same rooming house as Dimmesdale.
(b) At the Governor's.
(c) With Mistress Hibbins.
(d) With Dimmesdale, at the rectory.
4. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
(a) "little elf"
(b) "airy sprite"
(c) "sole treasure"
(d) "beautiful munchkin"
5. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(b) The golden eagle.
(c) Uncle Sam.
(d) Big brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
2. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
3. What color is Hester's hair?
4. Who is Hester's legal husband?
5. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)