|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is to wear the thing Hester is delivering to the governor's house?
(a) The governor's daughter.
(b) The governor's wife.
(c) The governor himself.
(d) The governor's servants.
2. Why does Hester stay in New England?
(a) She enjoys the brisk winter.
(b) Her family is there.
(c) It is the scene of her crime.
(d) She enjoys whaling.
3. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
(a) Personal, legal and moral.
(b) Spiritual and political.
(c) Personal and politcal.
(d) Petty and partisan.
4. At the governor's house when the men are debating Hester's custody, what does one of them say Pearl should have been named?
(a) Ruby, Scarlet or Roseanna.
(b) Ruby, Coral or Red Rose.
(c) Scarlet, Rose or Diamond.
(d) Pinkie, Cora or Rosa.
5. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
2. What is one of Chillingworth's distinguishing physical features?
3. Where does Chillingworth take up residence?
4. Whom do Dimmesdale and Chillingworth see out the window at the end of Chapter 10?
5. What kind of men are rare in the colony, according to the narrator?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)