|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hester's legal husband?
2. Why does Hester stay in New England?
(a) She enjoys whaling.
(b) Her family is there.
(c) She enjoys the brisk winter.
(d) It is the scene of her crime.
3. What is the shape of the hats worn in the "throng"?
4. Who is with the governor when Hester visits his house to deliver something?
(a) Wilson, Dimmesdale and Chillingworth.
(b) Dimmesdale, Chillingworth and Hibbins.
(c) Wilson and Dimmesdale.
(d) Lee, Chillingworth, and Dimmesdale.
5. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
(a) Sketch of official life.
(b) Portrait of the Puritans.
(c) Sketch of old-time Salem.
(d) Picture of the colony.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the governor's house when the men are debating Hester's custody, what does one of them say Pearl should have been named?
2. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
3. When Wilson asks Pearl who made her, what does she answer?
4. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
5. Which character says, ironically, "why should a wretched man, guilty, we will say, of murder, prefer to keep the dead corpse buried in his own heart, rather than fling it forth at once"?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)