|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two non-Puritan sects mentioned in this Chapter 2?
(a) Shaker and Quaker.
(b) Antimonian, Quaker, and Catholic.
(c) Antimonian and Quaker.
(d) Quaker and Catholic.
2. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
(a) Mother Theresa.
(b) The pope.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
3. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(b) The golden eagle.
(c) Big brother.
(d) Uncle Sam.
4. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
(b) Third person, limited.
(c) Third person, omniscient.
5. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
(a) They are ministers.
(b) They are bald.
(c) They are fat.
(d) They are bearded.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does this description refer: "a seemingly careless arrangement of his heterogeneous garb"?
2. The title of Chapter 9 ("The Leech") refers to which character?
3. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
4. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
5. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)