|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
2. What is the title of the first chapter?
(a) The Prison Rose.
(b) Gaol-Door Rock.
(c) The Prison-Door.
3. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
(a) The governor's mansion.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) The church.
(d) The schoolhouse.
4. The title of Chapter 9 ("The Leech") refers to which character?
5. Why is Pearl's mother questioned about whether or not she should have custody of the baby?
(a) Because Hester has a drinking problem.
(b) Because Pearl is acting out in school.
(c) Because of her sin.
(d) Because Pearl is hanging out with a bad crowd.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the health problem wrong with Dimmesdale?
2. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
3. The "public disapprobation" refers to...?
4. The title of Chapter 5 refers to what?
5. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)