|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) The scarlet letter.
(b) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(c) Hester's diary.
(d) Dimmesdale's diary.
2. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
(a) He wants to hurt the victim of his wit.
(b) He thinks it is true.
(c) He enjoys the notoriety.
(d) He has made too much money from it.
3. What street runs outside the Custom-House?
(a) High Street.
(b) Main Street.
(c) Derby Street.
(d) Salem Road.
4. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
(a) Bustling London.
(b) Rural England.
5. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
(a) Big House.
(b) Old Manse.
(c) Venerated Palace.
(d) Regal Apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. The following description of someone's eyes in Chapter 10 refers to which character: "burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace....like one of those gleams of ghastly fire"?
2. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
3. Who is named as Hester's pastor in Chapter 2?
4. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
5. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)