|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which field had Bellingham trained for/been educated in?
2. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
(a) Uncle Sam.
(b) The permanent Inspector.
(c) Hawthorne's grandfather.
(d) General Miller.
3. In which year was this preface written?
4. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
(a) They are bearded.
(b) They are ministers.
(c) They are fat.
(d) They are bald.
5. From which city is this preface written?
(a) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
2. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
3. Where does Chillingworth take up residence?
4. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
5. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
This section contains 170 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)