|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
(a) "airy sprite"
(b) "beautiful munchkin"
(c) "little elf"
(d) "sole treasure"
2. Where does Chillingworth take up residence?
(a) With Dimmesdale, at the rectory.
(b) At the Governor's.
(c) With Mistress Hibbins.
(d) In the same rooming house as Dimmesdale.
3. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
4. Why does Hester stay in New England?
(a) She enjoys the brisk winter.
(b) Her family is there.
(c) It is the scene of her crime.
(d) She enjoys whaling.
5. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
(a) Uncle Sam.
(b) General Miller.
(c) Hawthorne's grandfather.
(d) The permanent Inspector.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
2. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
3. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
4. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
5. What are the spikes on the door to the jail made of?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)