|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) A Preface.
(b) A Play in Four Acts.
(c) A Novel of Morals.
(d) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
2. Who is Hester's legal husband?
3. Whom do Dimmesdale and Chillingworth see out the window at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Just Pearl.
(b) Their own reflections.
(c) Hester and Pearl.
(d) Just Hester.
4. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
5. Where has Chillingworth been gathering herbs, when he is asked by the minister in Chapter 10?
(a) In the governor's garden.
(b) In a graveyard.
(c) By the seashoer.
(d) In Hester's garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hester stay in New England?
2. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
3. Chose which of the following best describes the tone in the last sentence of Chapter 1?
4. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
5. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)