|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
(a) A week.
(b) Three days.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three months.
2. Chose which of the following best describes the tone in the last sentence of Chapter 1?
3. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) A Preface.
(b) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
(c) A Play in Four Acts.
(d) A Novel of Morals.
4. What does Pearl desperately desire from the governor's garden?
(a) A rose.
(b) A tulip.
(c) A cabbage.
(d) A pumpkin.
5. What are the spikes on the door to the jail made of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who thinks that Hester's punishment/sentence is too light?
2. How does Hester dress her daughter?
3. To whom does this description refer: "a seemingly careless arrangement of his heterogeneous garb"?
4. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
5. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)