|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does this description refer: "a seemingly careless arrangement of his heterogeneous garb"?
2. Chose which of the following best describes the tone in the last sentence of Chapter 1?
3. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) Dimmesdale's diary.
(b) The scarlet letter.
(c) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(d) Hester's diary.
4. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
(a) A week.
(b) Three months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three days.
5. The title of Chapter 5 refers to what?
(a) Hester's love life.
(b) Hester's work.
(c) Hester's past.
(d) Hester's guilt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose widow is Mistress Hibbins?
2. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
3. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
4. What is one of Chillingworth's distinguishing physical features?
5. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)