|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The governor's mantle.
(b) The altar.
(c) The steeple.
(d) The scaffold.
2. Who is NOT among the crowd shaming Hester?
(a) The governor.
(b) The judges.
(c) Hester's pastor.
(d) Hester's parents.
3. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
4. From which city is this preface written?
(a) New York.
5. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
(a) "The Custom-House."
(b) The denouement.
(c) "The New England Holiday,"
(d) The climax.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
2. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
3. Chapter 6 is named after which character?
4. Who is to wear the thing Hester is delivering to the governor's house?
5. Why does Hester stay in New England?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)