|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What adjective best characterizes the governor's house?
2. To whom does this description refer: "a seemingly careless arrangement of his heterogeneous garb"?
3. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
(a) The third.
(b) The fourth.
(c) The second.
(d) The first.
4. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
(a) The Governot.
(b) The Custom's Inspector.
(c) Hester Prynne.
(d) His editor.
5. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Chose which of the following best describes the tone in the last sentence of Chapter 1?
2. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
3. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
4. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
5. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)