|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
(a) Religious heterodoxy.
(b) Undutiful child.
(c) Sluggish bond servant.
2. The title of Chapter 5 refers to what?
(a) Hester's past.
(b) Hester's love life.
(c) Hester's guilt.
(d) Hester's work.
3. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
4. From which city is this preface written?
(c) New York.
5. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) The scarlet letter.
(b) Hester's diary.
(c) Dimmesdale's diary.
(d) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Hester's hair?
2. How does the narrator describe the former queen of England, Elizabeth I?
3. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
4. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
5. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
This section contains 186 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)