|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) Hester's diary.
(b) Dimmesdale's diary.
(c) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(d) The scarlet letter.
2. In which year was this preface written?
3. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The schoolhouse.
(c) The church.
(d) The governor's mansion.
4. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) A Preface.
(b) A Play in Four Acts.
(c) A Novel of Morals.
(d) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
5. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
(a) He had kidnapped someone.
(b) He had burned down the Custom-House.
(c) He had committed adultery.
(d) He had murdered someone.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does this description refer: "a seemingly careless arrangement of his heterogeneous garb"?
2. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
3. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
4. Who is NOT among the crowd shaming Hester?
5. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)