|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
(a) Chillingworth and Bellingham.
(b) Chillingworth and Dimmesdale.
(c) Hester and Chillingworth.
(d) Hester and Dimmesdale.
2. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
(a) An eagle.
(b) The stars and stripes.
(c) Apple pie.
(d) Uncle Sam.
3. From which city is this preface written?
(c) New York.
4. Where was Hester's "happy infancy and stainless maidenhood?"
(c) Rural England.
(d) Bustling London.
5. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
(a) His editor.
(b) The Custom's Inspector.
(c) The Governot.
(d) Hester Prynne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
2. What street runs outside the Custom-House?
3. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
4. Which character is described as having a "wildflower prettiness?"
5. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
This section contains 176 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)