|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of Chillingworth's distinguishing physical features?
(a) He is missing most of the toes on his left foot.
(b) One of his shoulders is higher than the other.
(c) His left eye droops.
(d) He is lame in his right leg.
2. What does Pearl desperately desire from the governor's garden?
(a) A cabbage.
(b) A pumpkin.
(c) A rose.
(d) A tulip.
3. What is the title of the first chapter?
(a) Gaol-Door Rock.
(c) The Prison Rose.
(d) The Prison-Door.
4. Who is described as a/an "intolerant brood?"
(a) The governor's family.
(b) The Indians.
(c) The Dutch.
(d) The Puritans.
5. Why does Hester stay in New England?
(a) She enjoys the brisk winter.
(b) Her family is there.
(c) It is the scene of her crime.
(d) She enjoys whaling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chose which of the following best describes the tone in the last sentence of Chapter 1?
2. Hester's work is seen everywhere with the exception of:
3. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
4. What is the title of Chapter 3?
5. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)