|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
(a) Sketch of official life.
(b) Sketch of old-time Salem.
(c) Picture of the colony.
(d) Portrait of the Puritans.
2. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
(a) They are fat.
(b) They are ministers.
(c) They are bearded.
(d) They are bald.
3. Who thinks that Hester's punishment/sentence is too light?
(a) The men of town.
(b) The women of town.
(c) The ministers.
(d) The children of town.
4. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
(a) He enjoys the notoriety.
(b) He wants to hurt the victim of his wit.
(c) He thinks it is true.
(d) He has made too much money from it.
5. "Hester at her WHAT" is the title of Chapter 5?
(d) Wit's End.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two non-Puritan sects mentioned in this Chapter 2?
2. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
3. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
4. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
5. Why does Hester stay in New England?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)