|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
(a) Uncle Sam.
(b) Hawthorne's grandfather.
(c) General Miller.
(d) The permanent Inspector.
2. Which character is described as having a "wildflower prettiness?"
3. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
4. Which one of the following descriptions does not apply to Pearl?
(a) "sole treasure"
(b) "little elf"
(c) "beautiful munchkin"
(d) "airy sprite"
5. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
Short Answer Questions
1. From which city is this preface written?
2. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
3. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
4. In which year was this preface written?
5. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
This section contains 168 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)