|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
2. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
(a) Uncle Sam.
(b) The stars and stripes.
(c) Apple pie.
(d) An eagle.
3. The tone of this preface is best described as...
4. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
(a) The denouement.
(b) "The New England Holiday,"
(c) The climax.
(d) "The Custom-House."
5. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
(a) He had committed adultery.
(b) He had burned down the Custom-House.
(c) He had kidnapped someone.
(d) He had murdered someone.
Short Answer Questions
1. One person suggest that Hester should have an iron brand burned where?
2. Who, in Chapter 5, is referred to as "the figure, the body, the reality of sin?"
3. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
4. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
5. How does Hester dress her daughter?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)