|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
(a) Hester and Dimmesdale.
(b) Hester and Chillingworth.
(c) Chillingworth and Bellingham.
(d) Chillingworth and Dimmesdale.
2. When the doctor gives Hester something to drink, what does she think is in the cup?
(d) A truth serum.
3. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The governor's mantle.
(b) The steeple.
(c) The scaffold.
(d) The altar.
4. From which city is this preface written?
(c) New York.
5. What street runs outside the Custom-House?
(a) Derby Street.
(b) Main Street.
(c) High Street.
(d) Salem Road.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hester's legal husband?
2. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
3. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
4. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
5. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)