|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
(a) A rose bush.
(d) A weeping willow.
2. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
3. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The altar.
(b) The governor's mantle.
(c) The scaffold.
(d) The steeple.
4. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
5. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Recognition.
(b) The Meeting.
(c) The Recognizance.
(d) The Resistance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
2. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
3. What was the door to the jail made of?
4. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
5. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)