|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
(a) At the governor's mansion.
(b) In church.
(c) In jail.
(d) At the doctor's office.
2. Whose widow is Mistress Hibbins?
(a) The narrator's.
(b) The governor's.
(c) The magistrate's.
(d) The minister's.
3. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
(a) They are fat.
(b) They are bald.
(c) They are bearded.
(d) They are ministers.
4. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
(b) Hester's pearl necklace.
(c) The spikes on the door to the jail.
(d) The ladies in the crowd.
5. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Recognition.
(b) The Meeting.
(c) The Recognizance.
(d) The Resistance.
Short Answer Questions
1. The "public disapprobation" refers to...?
2. Who is NOT among the crowd shaming Hester?
3. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
4. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
5. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)