|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
(a) Charter Street burial-ground.
(b) Old Church burial-ground.
(c) Salem Cemetery.
(d) Town Cemetery.
2. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
3. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
(a) Undutiful child.
(b) Religious heterodoxy.
(d) Sluggish bond servant.
4. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
(a) The stars and stripes.
(b) Uncle Sam.
(c) An eagle.
(d) Apple pie.
5. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
(a) Three days.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three months.
(d) A week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
2. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
3. Whose widow is Mistress Hibbins?
4. What are the two non-Puritan sects mentioned in this Chapter 2?
5. Who is Hester's legal husband?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)