|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
(a) The permanent Inspector.
(b) Hawthorne's grandfather.
(c) General Miller.
(d) Uncle Sam.
2. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
3. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
(a) Portrait of the Puritans.
(b) Sketch of official life.
(c) Picture of the colony.
(d) Sketch of old-time Salem.
4. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
(a) In jail.
(b) At the doctor's office.
(c) In church.
(d) At the governor's mansion.
5. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
(a) Hester and Dimmesdale.
(b) Chillingworth and Bellingham.
(c) Chillingworth and Dimmesdale.
(d) Hester and Chillingworth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
2. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
3. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
4. In which year was this preface written?
5. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)