|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
(a) Hawthorne's grandfather.
(b) Uncle Sam.
(c) The permanent Inspector.
(d) General Miller.
2. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The governor's mantle.
(b) The scaffold.
(c) The steeple.
(d) The altar.
3. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) A Play in Four Acts.
(b) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
(c) A Novel of Morals.
(d) A Preface.
4. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(a) Uncle Sam.
(b) The golden eagle.
(c) Big brother.
5. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
(b) Bull Moose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
2. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
3. The tone of this preface is best described as...
4. What street runs outside the Custom-House?
5. To whom does this description refer: "a seemingly careless arrangement of his heterogeneous garb"?
This section contains 179 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)