|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which year was this preface written?
2. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
3. What color is Hester's hair?
4. The tone of this preface is best described as...
5. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
(a) Picture of the colony.
(b) Sketch of old-time Salem.
(c) Portrait of the Puritans.
(d) Sketch of official life.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
2. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
3. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
4. What is the title of Chapter 3?
5. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
This section contains 184 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)