|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
(a) Hester and Chillingworth.
(b) Chillingworth and Dimmesdale.
(c) Chillingworth and Bellingham.
(d) Hester and Dimmesdale.
2. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(b) Mother Theresa.
(c) The Virgin Mary.
(d) The pope.
3. Who is named as Hester's pastor in Chapter 2?
(a) Reverend Dimmesdale.
(b) Reverand Hawthorne.
(c) No pastor is named.
(d) Reverand Wilson.
4. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
(a) He thinks it is true.
(b) He enjoys the notoriety.
(c) He has made too much money from it.
(d) He wants to hurt the victim of his wit.
5. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
(a) Three days.
(b) Six months.
(c) A week.
(d) Three months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
2. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
3. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
4. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
5. Who is Hester's legal husband?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)