|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
(a) The governor's mansion.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) The church.
(d) The schoolhouse.
2. Who is Hester's legal husband?
3. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
(a) A bustling port.
(b) A dour harbor.
(c) A busy metropolis.
(d) A sad sailing town.
4. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
(a) Sketch of official life.
(b) Sketch of old-time Salem.
(c) Picture of the colony.
(d) Portrait of the Puritans.
5. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
(a) The denouement.
(b) "The New England Holiday,"
(c) The climax.
(d) "The Custom-House."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
2. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
3. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
4. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
5. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)