|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The church.
(c) The governor's mansion.
(d) The schoolhouse.
2. Whose name does the doctor want Hester to reveal?
(a) The name of her lover.
(b) The name of the witch.
(c) The name of her husband.
(d) The name of her child.
3. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) A Novel of Morals.
(b) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
(c) A Play in Four Acts.
(d) A Preface.
4. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) Approximately 90 or 100.
(b) Approximately 150 or more.
(c) Approximately 15 or 20.
(d) Approximately 50 or 60.
5. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
(d) Bull Moose.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
2. How does the narrator describe the former queen of England, Elizabeth I?
3. Which minister in the book has "a border of grizzled locks beneath his skull-cap" and gray eyes?
4. From which city is this preface written?
5. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)