|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
2. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
(a) A bustling port.
(b) A sad sailing town.
(c) A dour harbor.
(d) A busy metropolis.
3. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
(b) Third person, limited.
(d) Third person, omniscient.
4. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
5. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
(a) The Governot.
(b) His editor.
(c) Hester Prynne.
(d) The Custom's Inspector.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
2. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
3. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
4. What is the title of the first chapter?
5. Chose which of the following best describes the tone in the last sentence of Chapter 1?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)