|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) A Play in Four Acts.
(b) A Novel of Morals.
(c) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
(d) A Preface.
2. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
3. What color is Hester's hair?
4. The "public disapprobation" refers to...?
5. One person suggest that Hester should have an iron brand burned where?
(a) On her cheek.
(b) On her forehead.
(c) On her chest.
(d) On the palms of her hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
2. The tone of this preface is best described as...
3. In which year was this preface written?
4. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
5. What is the title of Chapter 3?
This section contains 151 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)