|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose voice is "tremulously sweet, rich, deep and broken?"
2. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
(a) He had committed adultery.
(b) He had kidnapped someone.
(c) He had murdered someone.
(d) He had burned down the Custom-House.
3. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
4. What is the title of Chapter 3?
(a) The Meeting.
(b) The Resistance.
(c) The Recognition.
(d) The Recognizance.
5. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
(a) A sad sailing town.
(b) A busy metropolis.
(c) A dour harbor.
(d) A bustling port.
Short Answer Questions
1. The "public disapprobation" refers to...?
2. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
3. Who thinks that Hester's punishment/sentence is too light?
4. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
5. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
This section contains 185 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)