|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose widow is Mistress Hibbins?
(a) The magistrate's.
(b) The narrator's.
(c) The minister's.
(d) The governor's.
2. How does the narrator describe the former queen of England, Elizabeth I?
3. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
4. Who is named as Hester's pastor in Chapter 2?
(a) Reverand Hawthorne.
(b) No pastor is named.
(c) Reverend Dimmesdale.
(d) Reverand Wilson.
5. What is the "pedestal of infamy?"
(a) The steeple.
(b) The altar.
(c) The governor's mantle.
(d) The scaffold.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
2. What are the two non-Puritan sects mentioned in this Chapter 2?
3. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
4. In which year was this preface written?
5. From which city is this preface written?
This section contains 162 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)