|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) A Play in Four Acts.
(b) A Preface.
(c) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
(d) A Novel of Morals.
2. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
3. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
(b) Third person, omniscient.
(c) Third person, limited.
4. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
(a) The Virgin Mary.
(b) Mother Theresa.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
(d) The pope.
5. Salem is characterized currently as....?
Short Answer Questions
1. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
2. What was the door to the jail made of?
3. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
4. From which city is this preface written?
5. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
This section contains 178 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)