|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
(a) He had murdered someone.
(b) He had committed adultery.
(c) He had kidnapped someone.
(d) He had burned down the Custom-House.
2. The "public disapprobation" refers to...?
3. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
(a) Religious heterodoxy.
(b) Undutiful child.
(d) Sluggish bond servant.
4. Chose which of the following best describes the tone in the last sentence of Chapter 1?
5. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
(a) Hester and Chillingworth.
(b) Hester and Dimmesdale.
(c) Chillingworth and Bellingham.
(d) Chillingworth and Dimmesdale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
2. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
3. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
4. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
5. In which year was this preface written?
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)