|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
(a) Venerated Palace.
(b) Big House.
(c) Regal Apartment.
(d) Old Manse.
2. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) A Preface.
(b) A Play in Four Acts.
(c) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
(d) A Novel of Morals.
3. Salem is characterized currently as....?
4. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
(a) The first.
(b) The third.
(c) The fourth.
(d) The second.
5. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) Approximately 15 or 20.
(b) Approximately 90 or 100.
(c) Approximately 50 or 60.
(d) Approximately 150 or more.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
2. The tone of this preface is best described as...
3. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
4. Where is Hester when she and Pearl are examined by the doctor?
5. The title of Chapter 4, "The Interview," refers to the meeting between which two characters?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)