|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two non-Puritan sects mentioned in this Chapter 2?
(a) Antimonian, Quaker, and Catholic.
(b) Quaker and Catholic.
(c) Shaker and Quaker.
(d) Antimonian and Quaker.
2. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
(a) The Governot.
(b) His editor.
(c) The Custom's Inspector.
(d) Hester Prynne.
3. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
(a) Mother Theresa.
(b) Mary Magdalene.
(c) The pope.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
4. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
5. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
(b) A weeping willow.
(d) A rose bush.
Short Answer Questions
1. Salem is characterized currently as....?
2. One person suggest that Hester should have an iron brand burned where?
3. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
4. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
5. Who thinks that Hester's punishment/sentence is too light?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)