|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
(a) The Virgin Mary.
(b) Mary Magdalene.
(c) Mother Theresa.
(d) The pope.
2. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
3. What is the shape of the hats worn in the "throng"?
4. What street runs outside the Custom-House?
(a) Salem Road.
(b) Main Street.
(c) Derby Street.
(d) High Street.
5. What is the title of the first chapter?
(b) Gaol-Door Rock.
(c) The Prison Rose.
(d) The Prison-Door.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
2. The tone of this preface is best described as...
3. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
4. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
5. Hawthorne writes of his surprise and what in the first lines of the preface?
This section contains 189 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)