|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
2. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
(a) A sad sailing town.
(b) A busy metropolis.
(c) A bustling port.
(d) A dour harbor.
3. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
(a) The third.
(b) The second.
(c) The first.
(d) The fourth.
4. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
(a) Old Church burial-ground.
(b) Charter Street burial-ground.
(c) Town Cemetery.
(d) Salem Cemetery.
5. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
(a) Hawthorne's grandfather.
(b) Uncle Sam.
(c) The permanent Inspector.
(d) General Miller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
2. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
3. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
4. Salem is characterized currently as....?
5. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)