|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
(a) The Virgin Mary.
(b) Mother Theresa.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
(d) The pope.
2. What are the spikes on the door to the jail made of?
3. From which city is this preface written?
(c) New York.
4. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(a) Uncle Sam.
(c) Big brother.
(d) The golden eagle.
5. What prominent wild plant grows just outside the door to the jail?
(c) A rose bush.
(d) A weeping willow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is named as Hester's pastor in Chapter 2?
2. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
3. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
4. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
5. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)