|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From which city is this preface written?
(d) New York.
2. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) A Novel of Morals.
(b) A Play in Four Acts.
(c) A Preface.
(d) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
3. The "public disapprobation" refers to...?
4. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
(a) Venerated Palace.
(b) Big House.
(c) Old Manse.
(d) Regal Apartment.
5. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
(a) A week.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three days.
(d) Six months.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
2. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
3. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
4. One person suggest that Hester should have an iron brand burned where?
5. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
This section contains 186 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)