|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(b) Dimmesdale's diary.
(c) The scarlet letter.
(d) Hester's diary.
2. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
(a) The church.
(b) The schoolhouse.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The governor's mansion.
3. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
(a) He had committed adultery.
(b) He had burned down the Custom-House.
(c) He had kidnapped someone.
(d) He had murdered someone.
4. What street runs outside the Custom-House?
(a) Main Street.
(b) Salem Road.
(c) Derby Street.
(d) High Street.
5. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(a) Big brother.
(b) The golden eagle.
(c) Uncle Sam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
2. One person suggest that Hester should have an iron brand burned where?
3. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
4. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
5. Salem is characterized currently as....?
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)