|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is NOT among the crowd shaming Hester?
(a) Hester's pastor.
(b) Hester's parents.
(c) The judges.
(d) The governor.
2. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
(a) His editor.
(b) The Governot.
(c) Hester Prynne.
(d) The Custom's Inspector.
3. What are the two non-Puritan sects mentioned in this Chapter 2?
(a) Quaker and Catholic.
(b) Shaker and Quaker.
(c) Antimonian, Quaker, and Catholic.
(d) Antimonian and Quaker.
4. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
(b) The ladies in the crowd.
(c) The spikes on the door to the jail.
(d) Hester's pearl necklace.
5. How does Hawthorne metaphorically refer to the United States government in "The Custom House"?
(b) The golden eagle.
(c) Big brother.
(d) Uncle Sam.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
2. What is the title of the first chapter?
3. Salem is characterized currently as....?
4. Who thinks that Hester's punishment/sentence is too light?
5. The "public disapprobation" refers to...?
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)