|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
(a) A bustling port.
(b) A sad sailing town.
(c) A busy metropolis.
(d) A dour harbor.
2. What are the spikes on the door to the jail made of?
3. What is the shape of the hats worn in the "throng"?
4. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
(a) The pope.
(b) The Virgin Mary.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
(d) Mother Theresa.
5. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
(a) He wants to hurt the victim of his wit.
(b) He thinks it is true.
(c) He has made too much money from it.
(d) He enjoys the notoriety.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
2. In which year was this preface written?
3. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
4. What is the title of the first chapter?
5. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)