|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what point of view is "The Custom House" written?
(b) Third person, omniscient.
(d) Third person, limited.
2. Chose which of the following best describes the tone in the last sentence of Chapter 1?
3. Salem is characterized currently as....?
4. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
(a) The first.
(b) The second.
(c) The fourth.
(d) The third.
5. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
(a) He had murdered someone.
(b) He had burned down the Custom-House.
(c) He had kidnapped someone.
(d) He had committed adultery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
2. The tone of this preface is best described as...
3. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
4. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
5. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)