|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From which city is this preface written?
(c) New York.
2. Who was the father of the Custom-House?
(a) The permanent Inspector.
(b) General Miller.
(c) Uncle Sam.
(d) Hawthorne's grandfather.
3. What was the door to the jail made of?
4. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
(a) Old Church burial-ground.
(b) Charter Street burial-ground.
(c) Town Cemetery.
(d) Salem Cemetery.
5. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
(a) He enjoys the notoriety.
(b) He wants to hurt the victim of his wit.
(c) He has made too much money from it.
(d) He thinks it is true.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
2. How does the narrator describe the former queen of England, Elizabeth I?
3. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
4. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
5. What street runs outside the Custom-House?
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)