|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
(a) The third.
(b) The fourth.
(c) The first.
(d) The second.
2. What street runs outside the Custom-House?
(a) High Street.
(b) Derby Street.
(c) Salem Road.
(d) Main Street.
3. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) Approximately 15 or 20.
(b) Approximately 90 or 100.
(c) Approximately 150 or more.
(d) Approximately 50 or 60.
4. How does the narrator describe the former queen of England, Elizabeth I?
5. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
(a) Apple pie.
(b) The stars and stripes.
(c) An eagle.
(d) Uncle Sam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who thinks that Hester's punishment/sentence is too light?
2. What are the two non-Puritan sects mentioned in this Chapter 2?
3. By what moniker does Hawthorne name the Custom-House building itself?
4. One person suggest that Hester should have an iron brand burned where?
5. In what month does Chapter 1 take place?
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)