|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) Hester's diary.
(b) The scarlet letter.
(c) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(d) Dimmesdale's diary.
2. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
(a) The governor's mansion.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) The church.
(d) The schoolhouse.
3. How does the narrator describe the former queen of England, Elizabeth I?
4. The tone of this preface is best described as...
5. According to Hawthorne, the reaction could not have been more violent if...?
(a) He had kidnapped someone.
(b) He had burned down the Custom-House.
(c) He had committed adultery.
(d) He had murdered someone.
Short Answer Questions
1. From which city is this preface written?
2. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
3. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
4. What are the spikes on the door to the jail made of?
5. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)