|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chose which of the following best describes the tone in the last sentence of Chapter 1?
2. What is the name of the grave-yard Hawthorne mentions in his discussion of his ancestors?
(a) Town Cemetery.
(b) Charter Street burial-ground.
(c) Old Church burial-ground.
(d) Salem Cemetery.
3. What is the subtitle of "The Custom-House"?
(a) A Novel of Morals.
(b) A Play in Four Acts.
(c) A Preface.
(d) Introductory to The Scarlet Letter.
4. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(b) Mother Theresa.
(c) The Virgin Mary.
(d) The pope.
5. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
(a) Sketch of old-time Salem.
(b) Sketch of official life.
(c) Picture of the colony.
(d) Portrait of the Puritans.
Short Answer Questions
1. The earliest parts of the colony had been the jail and what other location?
2. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
3. What street runs outside the Custom-House?
4. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
5. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)