|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
(a) "The New England Holiday,"
(b) The climax.
(c) The denouement.
(d) "The Custom-House."
2. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) Dimmesdale's diary.
(b) Hester's diary.
(c) The scarlet letter.
(d) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
3. What are the "delicate gems" referred to at the end of Chapter 1?
(b) Hester's pearl necklace.
(c) The spikes on the door to the jail.
(d) The ladies in the crowd.
4. The tone of this preface is best described as...
5. Against whom is Hawthorne alleged to harbor a "peculiar malevolence"?
(a) The Custom's Inspector.
(b) The Governot.
(c) Hester Prynne.
(d) His editor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
2. Who is NOT among the crowd shaming Hester?
3. Whose widow is Mistress Hibbins?
4. What color is Hester's hair?
5. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)