|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
(a) Uncle Sam.
(b) The stars and stripes.
(c) An eagle.
(d) Apple pie.
2. In which year was this preface written?
3. Hawthorne calls the Custom House a...?
(a) Picture of the colony.
(b) Portrait of the Puritans.
(c) Sketch of old-time Salem.
(d) Sketch of official life.
4. Which part of The Scarlet Letter does this preface specifically refer to?
(a) The climax.
(b) "The New England Holiday,"
(c) "The Custom-House."
(d) The denouement.
5. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
(a) A sad sailing town.
(b) A dour harbor.
(c) A busy metropolis.
(d) A bustling port.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the thread that embroiders the scarlet letter?
2. This preface is the preface to which edition of the novel?
3. What street runs outside the Custom-House?
4. Whose widow is Mistress Hibbins?
5. How old is the baby in Hester's arms when we first see her?
This section contains 177 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)