|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What distinguishes the men in the "throng" at the beginning of thChapter 1?
(a) They are bald.
(b) They are ministers.
(c) They are bearded.
(d) They are fat.
2. The following description of clothing belongs to which community leader: "a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath"?
3. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) Approximately 90 or 100.
(b) Approximately 150 or more.
(c) Approximately 50 or 60.
(d) Approximately 15 or 20.
4. What is NOT one of the possible crimes mentioned in this Chapter 2, as a reason people might flock to the prison?
(a) Sluggish bond servant.
(c) Undutiful child.
(d) Religious heterodoxy.
5. Which plant is NOT mentioned in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Hawthorne utterly disclaims what kind of motives?
2. How does Hawthorne describe the historic Salem of years ago?
3. Whose widow is Mistress Hibbins?
4. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
5. Hawthorne surmises that if there were a Papist in the crowd, whom would Hester remind him of?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)