|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which political party does Hawthorne belong?
(b) Bull Moose.
2. Who thinks that Hester's punishment/sentence is too light?
(a) The women of town.
(b) The ministers.
(c) The children of town.
(d) The men of town.
3. What does Hawthorne find in a "mysterious package" in the Custom-House?
(a) The scarlet letter.
(b) Hester's diary.
(c) A painting of Hester and Pearl.
(d) Dimmesdale's diary.
4. What is the shape of the hats worn in the "throng"?
5. What is the title of the first chapter?
(a) The Prison-Door.
(c) The Prison Rose.
(d) Gaol-Door Rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hawthorne refuse to change what he has written?
2. From which city is this preface written?
3. How many years after the founding of Boston does Chapter 1 take place?
4. What symbol of the United States hands in front of the Custom-House?
5. Chose which of the following best describes the tone in the last sentence of Chapter 1?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)